Arsenal v Chelsea V - It's Up For Grabs Now *spoilers and CL QF 2nd Leg related drama*

wycombe

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Wicom:

sammy ignore monkeh, he has a history of sh*t stirring in these threads.

disappointing because he's a good poster the rest of the time :/<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Was I the only person who thought it was a bit, you know sarcastic. And has since led to Wicom making a fool out of himself icon14.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by thepain:

two words

Sébastien Frey<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Think he'll sign him or that he'll keep the faith with Lehmann?

Well, in the space of four days our season has plonked in the toilet with one finger on the flush ready to be pushed if we do not win the league now.

Lehmann with two key errors. One in first leg and another major one in the second. I think Frey is a must for next season, Sorry mr Lehmann. Now we all see why Kahn is miles ahead of him, even with his howler against Real.

Lauren out aswell. These comments might be harsh but it's time to improve our team and by replacing these players with better one's, we might have a chance of actually getting to the semi-finals of the ECL. We were good enough this season but these players cannot handle pressure unfortunately.

Wenger taking Henry off is baffling unless it is an injury. If it wasnt, then this is the third puzzling decision in a row by Wenger. Two against Man utd and now Chelsea.

Congrats to chelsea and well done. I quite like Ranieri because he is a funny guy what with his hillarious accent. If anyone deserves success it is him, after all the stick he has copped.

If we do not win the league, we are major chokers. There would be no doubt about that.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by sammyboy80:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Monkeh:

ps sammy, you were coming across quite well in this thread, i was actually starting to feel a little sorry for you until you jumped on wicom's bandwagon. i'd suggest you stay away from bad influences like him, he'll only drag you down.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I still am coming across quite well. It's you having the urge to get on the bandwagon.

It's not my fault you have an urge to offend people. If you had any social intelligence, you'd know that i'm not very happy atm, and what you said wasn't exactly helpful. That big smiley you added at the end or not, you meant that 100% and you know that yourself.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>i was only kidding, don't be jumping off any bridges now.

I said at the start of the season Chelsea have a better chance of winning the champion elague than the premiership.

People thought I was mad but see told ya so icon_razz.gif. I wanted Arsenal to win though because they spent less money, been in the champions league more often.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Wicom:

sammy ignore monkeh, he has a history of sh*t stirring in these threads.

disappointing because he's a good poster the rest of the time :/<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>it was actually a joke, raptor seemed to pick up on it, but i've been meaning every bit of winding up i'm doing to you and enjoying it immensly icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Monkeh:

it was actually a joke, raptor seemed to pick up on it, but i've been meaning every bit of winding up i'm doing to you and enjoying it immensly icon_biggrin.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

good for you, glad you're having fun.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tony7:

I said at the start of the season Chelsea have a better chance of winning the champion elague than the premiership.

People thought I was mad but see told ya so icon_razz.gif. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

eh? how have you "told us so" ? they've neither won nor lost either trophy yet

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Cheesey Cottager:

I'm happy Ferdinand can't play in the summer, John Terry is fb and if this is his big break, then brilliant.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Brown>Terry>>>>Campbell>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Keown

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Retro:

I can't believe I'm on these forums at the moment because I'm totally despondant. But I'm not going to shirk it - because I'd be on here if we won.

What's upsetting is not losing - it's the way we utterly fell apart again when Chelsea scored the first. We were so in control and playing some lovely stuff in the first half, dispelling the media myths about us being edgy due to the result on Saturday, and we got the goal we deserved.

Then, we let in a poor goal from our perspective. I don't want to make scapegoats - but why did Lehmann try and punch that shot away - what was he thinking? I've defended him this season because he's been on the end of unfair criticism - but I can't defend him there.

You could see and smell the fear in the Arsenal side from that moment on. All of a sudden our passing lost it's slickness, and we started making mistakes. I thought our luck might be in when Cole cleared off the line, but clearly that wasn't the case.

Chelsea played very well in the second-half. They had us on the ropes and they took advantage which is all they could do.

As I said before the game - my main concern regarding this game was it's effect on the league. It's up to the players to allay my deepest fears that we're going to throw it all down the toilet again. Surely we can't do that again.

I'm refusing to blame anyone, and my usual target Lauren had an excellent game particularly in the first half. No individuals really did anything wrong - but the whole team are doing what no Arsenal fan - even ones as old as me has ever seen - we are failing 'mentally'. It's alwayts been Arsenal's strongest point - even when we weren't very good. But now, with a fantastic array of talent and ability and a simply outstanding manager - we lack the one ingredient we've always had in the Arsenal recipe book - mental strength.

Sorry if I'm not giving Chelsea the credit they probably deserve but the way I feel at the moment, all I can think of is my own team. We have to take the rough with the smooth and I fully intend to do that - but at the moment it's painful beyond belief.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Spot on, Retro, a first class post icon14.gif

I saw an interview with Tony Adams the other day where what he said was incredibly correct. It doesn't matter if you have the best 11 players on the planet in your team if you're not prepared to give your last breath for the team and sweat blood to grind out a victory.

We miss him, and we miss someone who can really get us going and dug in to grind out a result in the big games like the last two. we fell apart in the second half, and you're dead right, we had given up in our heads.

Still a brilliant half from Chelsea. I'm bitter, but it was obvious even to a biased supporter like me, that Chelsea deserved it.

it was actually a joke, raptor seemed to pick up on it, but i've been meaning every bit of winding up i'm doing to you and enjoying it immensly icon_biggrin.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

good for you, glad you're having fun.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>if you hadn't acted the twat on your arrival to the thread, i would probably have been nice to you too icon_frown.gif

mentally the players did answer one question, they bounced back superbly in the first half, carved out a number of chances, we just weren't clinical enough.

second half was very disappointing, our midfield just went missing :/

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by sammyboy80:

I saw an interview with Tony Adams the other day where what he said was incredibly correct. It doesn't matter if you have the best 11 players on the planet in your team if you're not prepared to give your last breath for the team and sweat blood to grind out a victory.

We miss him, and we miss someone who can really get us going and dug in to grind out a result in the big games like the last two. we fell apart in the second half, and you're dead right, we had given up in our heads.

Still a brilliant half from Chelsea. I'm bitter, but it was obvious even to a biased supporter like me, that Chelsea deserved it.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>strange that.

i don't think arsenal have, bar one or two exceptions, the best players in the league, but it's the way they play as a team and fight for each other that gives them their success. if they lose that, they're nothing imo.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TekTranCe:Lauren out aswell. These comments might be harsh but it's time to improve our team and by replacing these players with better one's, we might have a chance of actually getting to the semi-finals of the ECL. We were good enough this season but these players cannot handle pressure unfortunately.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't go in the Arsenal thread but in the United thread there has been a anti-Fortune brigade. Is Lauren the Arsenal version or something because he seems to have taken a bit of stick in here.

I don't see all of Arsenal's games being a United fan so perhaps you can correct me but he seemed to have a good game tonight and doesn't seem to let you down very often.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Juni:

Terry is an absolute lion. By far the best game of his career tonight. A true captain and leader. icon14.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Have to admit I've never been his biggest fan but he was bloody good tonight. Big Ron went as far as to compare him to the great Bobby Moore and tbh, it wasn't *that* ridiculous a comparison - he seemed to be there every time the ball entered the Chelsea area to clear it. Mighty impressive icon14.gif

Still a brilliant half from Chelsea. I'm bitter, but it was obvious even to a biased supporter like me, that Chelsea deserved it.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Very true IMO. I read a quote in a paper which said that in every league game with the possible exception of the Man Utd - Arsenal match at OT, Arsenal haven't been outplayed. And this is fine when you are on top, you will continue to steamroller teams from under you like Portsmouth but have a bad game and things can go pearshaped.

Whereas Man Utd in the past have had bad games and still managed to rescue a win with a last minute determined goal, or they've managed to grind out a result from virtually nothing.

mentally the players did answer one question, they bounced back superbly in the first half, carved out a number of chances, we just weren't clinical enough.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Did they though? That 'bounce back' seemed pretty fragile, if Chelsea had taken a chance in the 1st half do you think that Arsenal would have come back? In some ways I thought the 1st half was very similar to the game at Villa Park.

I was surprised how nervy Arsenal looked throughout the 1st half. Yes, you put together a number of great moves - but a team of Arsenals quality will always do that. Too many players, like Henry, Vieira and Pires (even in the 1st half) were playing within themselves.

Monkeh: What we are saying isn't a contradiction at all. Yes, one of our strengths is indeed playing as a unit, as a team I agree. But that's not the same as having mental strength.

The fact was, tonight we played as a team in the first half, and we collapsed as a team in the second.

Mika: As for Lauren... as I said in my post I thought he had a good game tonight, and I'm one of his biggest critics usually.

I'd disagree with that, there have been plenty of games this season where we've been struggling and managed to pull it out of the fire.

Which makes the last two games all the more shocking :/<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

But have they been games of these importance and against the same quality of those two.

strange that.

i don't think arsenal have, bar one or two exceptions, the best players in the league, but it's the way they play as a team and fight for each other that gives them their success. if they lose that, they're nothing imo.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>nothing is a strong word actually.

they've obviously got quality all over the pitch, but it's the way the team fits together that turns them from a great team to one able to win the top trophies each year instead of just challenging for them.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by James07?:

mentally the players did answer one question, they bounced back superbly in the first half, carved out a number of chances, we just weren't clinical enough.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Did they though? That 'bounce back' seemed pretty fragile, if Chelsea had taken a chance in the 1st half do you think that Arsenal would have come back? In some ways I thought the 1st half was very similar to the game at Villa Park.

I was surprised how nervy Arsenal looked throughout the 1st half. Yes, you put together a number of great moves - but a team of Arsenals quality will always do that. Too many players, like Henry, Vieira and Pires (even in the 1st half) were playing within themselves.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

James, the other, sensible Arsenal fans have said that they didnt answer the critics mentally tonight, Wicom says they did, you do the maths.

icon_wink.gificon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mika:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TekTranCe:Lauren out aswell. These comments might be harsh but it's time to improve our team and by replacing these players with better one's, we might have a chance of actually getting to the semi-finals of the ECL. We were good enough this season but these players cannot handle pressure unfortunately.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't go in the Arsenal thread but in the United thread there has been a anti-Fortune brigade. Is Lauren the Arsenal version or something because he seems to have taken a bit of stick in here.

I don't see all of Arsenal's games being a United fan so perhaps you can correct me but he seemed to have a good game tonight and doesn't seem to let you down very often.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

He loses the ball in key areas at the back, like Gilberto. There are much better right backs out there.

Come on Arsenal, a move for PUYOL!!! heh, I wish.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Kyle:

*agrees with the John Terry ifb comments*

Terry and Southgate as centte backs for Euro 04 icon_cool.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Campbell, Terry and Southgate. Play Ashley Cole as a LW.

Sorted.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by James07?:

Did they though? That 'bounce back' seemed pretty fragile, if Chelsea had taken a chance in the 1st half do you think that Arsenal would have come back? In some ways I thought the 1st half was very similar to the game at Villa Park.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

don't agree with that. Firstly I thought we played really well in the 1st half and created a number of chances that we should have done better with, unlike the semi where we didn't create anything. Secondly you can't take away the fact we did recover from Saturday to produce pretty much our A game.

In a funny way an early goal for Chelsea might have helped us, more time to recover and just attack. them scoring so late just killed i.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I was surprised how nervy Arsenal looked throughout the 1st half. Yes, you put together a number of great moves - but a team of Arsenals quality will always do that. Too many players, like Henry, Vieira and Pires (even in the 1st half) were playing within themselves.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

no, don't agree, thought we looked very good in the 1st half.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gregg Carter:

James, the other, sensible Arsenal fans have said that they didnt answer the critics mentally tonight, Wicom says they did, you do the maths.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

if you can't be bothered to read the thread why do you bother.

James: From the perspective of playing well from the start we did bounce back. If we'd looked nervous at the start, then you could argue that we have indeed lost the plot.

The bounce back was fragile as you say though - which we proved in the second half.

I agree with Wicom that we have ground out a few results this season. However, now is crunch time and our sides of 1998 and 2002 both managed to deal with the crunch. Last season we did not, and it remains to be seen whether we deal with it this season.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Retro:

Monkeh: What we are saying isn't a contradiction at all. Yes, one of our strengths is indeed playing as a unit, as a team I agree. But that's not the same as having mental strength.

The fact was, tonight we played as a team in the first half, and we collapsed as a team in the second.

Mika: As for Lauren... as I said in my post I thought he had a good game tonight, and I'm one of his biggest critics usually.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, I cant remember the last time I said "Lauren played well" this season at all. He did tonight.

The problem is we should be saying it more often. Not once or twice a season.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>it all stems from the same thing though - team spirit. arsenals has always, since wenger took over - been first class. any players upsetting that were offloaded (anelka, and maybe overmars & petit?) which leads to you wanting to run your heart out.

they seem to be losing a bit of confidence now, which could hit them hard, since they're very much a team that has been confident all season, and if they have to start grinding results out now, after such a good run, it could really go tits up. i'll have a little chuckle if it does happen though, more so at the press who've so quickly turned on "the best team ever" and will no doubt now revel in talking about their possible capitulation

I just hope we can get our act together in time for Friday. No more distractions left now, it really is a case of the Arsenal players to prove that they really are still hurting from last years tail-end collapse and show the desire to win the league.

We were due to lose some games, Im rather happy it has not been in the league so far. We are still in a strong position, have to keep the faith

Secondly you can't take away the fact we did recover from Saturday to produce pretty much our A game.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I disagree, on their day Arsenal's 'A game' is far above what they produced today, with players like Henry and Pires not firing on all cylinders.

unlike the semi where we didn't create anything..<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bergkamp in the 1st minute?

The Toure header?

The Pires header?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Firstly I thought we played really well in the 1st half and created a number of chances<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

As I said, you did put together a couple of fine moves but I didn't think the performance was that solid, even in the 1st half. Always seemed to be slightly fragile.

Mika: As for Lauren... as I said in my post I thought he had a good game tonight, and I'm one of his biggest critics usually.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hello Retro icon_smile.gifBeen to the hall of fame yet?

Did they though? That 'bounce back' seemed pretty fragile, if Chelsea had taken a chance in the 1st half do you think that Arsenal would have come back? In some ways I thought the 1st half was very similar to the game at Villa Park.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

don't agree with that. Firstly I thought we played really well in the 1st half and created a number of chances that we should have done better with, unlike the semi where we didn't create anything???. Secondly you can't take away the fact we did recover from Saturday to produce pretty much our A game.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You created the better chances in the first half in both of the games, but you didn't control either. In the 2nd half in both games you were too tired and lacked the passion and fight of the opposition and the midfielders were poor and didn't create any chances.

I thought Arsenal played well in the first half, especially Reyes and they thoroughly deserved the half-time lead. Just changed completely at half-time though and once Chelsea equalised, they seemed to be more threatenining going forward, was a bit like the 2nd half of the first leg, only this time Arsenal couldn't nick that goal on the counter and after Saturday just seemed to drop off a bit somehow, and Chelsea ran out deserved winners IMO

Bergkamp in the 1st minute?

The Toure header?

The Pires header?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

hmmm, fair enough, I'd argue those chances weren't created using our usual style of play though...

Our local commentators said that, in an interview, Henry stated that "the team feels like after [the home loss to] Inter".

That was one potential crisis Arsenal managed to recover from.

I think Arsenal will be able to handle this one as well, though personally I would much rather see Chelsea win it.

Maybe no longer having the pressure of winning a treble will make the team more focused on winning the league.

they played well from about half an hour onwards i thought, james, but chelsea coped reasonably well and but for a slightly fortunate touch, probably would have gone in level. i think it was more to do with chelsea playing well than arsenal playing badly, but they fell apart after they scored (ironic, since it usually happens the other way round in these matches)

Archived