Arsenal v Chelsea V - It's Up For Grabs Now *spoilers and CL QF 2nd Leg related drama*

wycombe

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mika:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by theis:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Retro:

(yes, I know there was a 6-1 in there, but that was a _Stepanovs_/Grimandi induced freakshow).

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Everytime I hear that name the biggest grin possible appears on my face icon_biggrin.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Whatever happened to Igors?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>they sent him back to the circus to replace nelly i think

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Retro:

We were two minutes from winning last week. We didn't deserve to lose on Saturday. Tonight we fell to a late goal. That doesn't mean our players aren't good enough or we're tactically unsound. It's just football!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You're flattering to deceive however.

You weren't outplayed by Man Yoo but they deserved to go through, if not by skill than by effort.

You did fall to a late goal, but it was a well deserved one and not random as one could infer from reading your post.

It's football, as you said, and in football clubs hit tough patches sometimes, and Arsenal have reached one.

It could go right from this moment onwards and will be looked upon as just a random slip, but that's not quite the case.

You do have a comfortable "get out" option on Friday though: A match against a weaker team with a big name. I sense a certain backlash will be had at Liverpool's expense (hopefully ending Houllier's reign, but that's a different issue).

Leyser: you're right, but I was merely trying to highlight that cliams of our demise are equally OTT.

And I hope you're right about Friday. I think we could do without matches against Liverpool and Newcastle in two days at the moment though. Thems the breaks though! icon_frown.gif

Forgive me if I make any points that have already been mentioned, as I don't have time to read the whole thread ! icon_wink.gif

Thought Chelsea deserved it tonight, and what a result for Raneri - it's two fingers stuck up by him to the like's of Peter Kenyon, who has undermined the fella's position, all season. Arsenal I thought were very disappointing - they just seemed to lose their belief once Chelsea equalised, and even though he had a very quiet game, I can't believe Wenger took Henry off ! If there is a player who is likely to pull something out the bag when you need it, it is Henry. That's the point where Arsenal lost the game tonight - it was a massive shot in the arm for Chelsea.

So, what now for Arsenal ? Two bad results, and two very hard games to come, each within the space of 2 days - Liverpool (home) and us (Newcastle) away. I can't wait for the Gooners to come up here .... I smell blood and on the back of our excellent home form (8 league wins in a row) - I've got a feeling that we can hammer another nail in Arsenal's coffin - so to speak.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by bigguk:

Not talking to me Retro icon_biggrin.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Do I normally talk to you?

Well done for managing to predict three results. You must have awesome powers! Get your fixed-odds coupon in this weekend. icon_eek.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You had plenty to say to me in this hall of fame thread:

http://community.sigames.com/eve/forums?a=tpc&s=21019056&f=20019288&m=234109172

btw I do have awesome powers icon_cool.gif

well.. as an Arsenal supporter I am hugely disappointed but I thought Chelsea just about deserved it.. icon_frown.gif Somebody should really tell Arsène Wenger that the football season lasts until May as once more come April and Arsenal players are knackered..

however, as a Frenchman, I am thrilled with Monaco's incredible win! icon_eek.gif

So I guess that for me the "positive" side of Arsenal's defeat is that I won't be torn apart as to who to support in the semi-final... GO MONACOOOOOOOOO!! icon_biggrin.gif

Arsenal's demise?

I thought Man United's alleged crisis was as premature as it gets but being 4pts clear with a game in hand and it's a demise... icon_biggrin.gif

It's been a pretty good season for Arsenal in Europe though, to me they've finally got rid of the whole problem of playing in Europe that seemed to exist for the last 4/5 seasons and it's progress. I don't think you'll win it with Lehmann in the team though.

Think of it this way: You'd rather have them now and prove that you're a team that can recover from bad results in important matches rather than beating Leicester and Wolves and still have that doubt hanging above in the last stretch.

Even if you lose both matches you'll still be ahead of Chelsea , with the knowledge something is wrong and some time to fix it.

If you win both matches (4 points will suffice too) there'll be a sense of return to winning ways and the confidence required to survive the few remaining matches.

Bottom line: You are good enough and as long as there's no mental collapse - you'll be crowned champions.

Dangerous talk Big Geordie. Won't catch me making bold claims like that!

You can cite 8 home wins, but according to my Geordie buddies, and what I've seen, you've been about as convincing as The Krays' case for the defence.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Zuff:

well.. as an Arsenal supporter I am hugely disappointed but I thought Chelsea just about deserved it.. icon_frown.gif Somebody should really tell Arsène Wenger that the football season lasts until May as once more come April and Arsenal players are knackered..

however, as a Frenchman, I am thrilled with Monaco's incredible win! icon_eek.gif

So I guess that for me the "positive" side of Arsenal's defeat is that I won't be torn apart as to who to support in the semi-final... GO MONACOOOOOOOOO!! icon_biggrin.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Monaco aren't French icon_razz.gificon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Taz & The Devil:

Yes. Chelsea deserved the win and got it. Nothing this season has delighted me more than Arsenal crashing out of both cups in successive games.

The only question now is will Arsenal bottle it in the league?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

United winning was more important than Arsenal losing for me, but I see your point.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Dangerous talk Big Geordie. Won't catch me making bold claims like that!

You can cite 8 home wins, but according to my Geordie buddies, and what I've seen, you've been about as convincing as The Krays' case for the defence <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sure we've been unconvincing Retro, but wins are wins, and we also seem to raise our game when we play you lot ! icon_razz.gif I think I've just come to expect the unexpected with Newcastle, and it would be typical of our lot to go and turn you's over, given the very indifferent season we have had. However, I'm not saying it's a certainty ! I just sense a bit of a wobble in the gooner's ranks from the last two games. It will be very interesting to see how you's respond to these two upsets.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I don't think you'll win it with Lehmann in the team though.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

i can only agree with that.. he's been the weakest link all season IMO.. somebody say "Good-Bye" to him QUICK! He has no future @ Arsenal unless he gets REALLY brilliant now and durably so.. coz i think he effectively costs Arsenal their qualification with a goal conceded on his mistakes in each of the 2 legs..

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Arjen Robben:

Nick you jinxing wolly icon13.gificon_frown.gif

Chelsea deserved it. Ranieri deserves it. icon_frown.gif Doesn't make it any better though icon_frown.gif Sammy made a post a few pages which sums it up, not going to look for it now though I'm all deflated<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>sammyboy has disappeared, i hope he isn't thinking too much about what might happen if arsenal lose the league icon_frown.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by bigguk:

You had plenty to say to me in this hall of fame thread:

http://community.sigames.com/eve/forums?a=tpc&s=21019056&f=20019288&m=234109172

btw I do have awesome powers icon_cool.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You could have at least checked before you made that comment. Had plenty to say did I?

The ONLY comment I made to you in that thread was: "Thanks Mystic Smeg"

Did I say you would be proven wrong? No! So why are you badgering me so much now? Apart from the obvious... but I can't say that without being abusive.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ericcantona7:

Monaco aren't French icon_razz.gificon_wink.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

close enough icon_wink.gif and well.. they're stuck between France and Italy.. and I'm half French / half Italian (Euro 2000 final was heaven for me icon_biggrin.gif)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Arjen Robben:

Nick you jinxing wolly icon13.gificon_frown.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Sorry icon_frown.gif

Why couldn't my jinxing work earlier in the season icon_mad.gificon_frown.gif

Yes, BG you do seem to raise you game against us.

But please do me just one favour mate? Refer to the team as The Gunners... Gooners are the Arsenal fans. Pedantic perhaps... but might as well get it right! icon_wink.gif

As for Sunday - we shall see. icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Taz & The Devil:

Yes. Chelsea deserved the win and got it. Nothing this season has delighted me more than Arsenal crashing out of both cups in successive games.

The only question now is will Arsenal bottle it in the league?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No they won't as it's now their main focus. people reckon Arsenal won't be up to the challenge because of cup defeats, but I think they will be more defiant to prove themselves

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Yes, BG you do seem to raise you game against us.

But please do me just one favour mate? Refer to the team as The Gunners... Gooners are the Arsenal fans. Pedantic perhaps... but might as well get it right!

As for Sunday - we shall see. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

/o\ Pedantic ! /o\

Please accept my apologies, Retro ! Howay and ****e and all that. icon_wink.gificon_razz.gificon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Juni:

Highlights are coming on in a minute icon_cool.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good stuff, I want to see Ranieri's teary moment again, was a touching moment.

Plus I want to see how Monaco managed to beat Real, I hope they don't edit it down for the Arse/Chel game too much

That was one of the most painful games I've been to in a long time, much worse than Saturday. We had it in the bag at half time and I thought at half time, if we can get through the next 15 minutes without conceding, we'll win the game. Sadly, I think this result could wreck the season icon_frown.gif

I'm probably going to lynched by saying this, but do you think that Henry being taken off had an effect?

I mean he didn't seem his usual self from the start, granted, but his influence on the game, and his ability off the ball may have been helping the team gel.

Could just be a coincidence, but when he went off (as on saturday) Arsenal just didn't seem *as* much of a threat going forward, and there seem to be a lacking of....fluency?

I'm not here to mock btw, genuine question icon14.gif

I've actually found coming on here and airing my grief quite therepeutic. When compared to not speaking to anyone for days after an important defeat as I used to - things are definitely improving.

Only one minor irritant as well... easily dealt with... so on the whole not bad! icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Cappo Smiffy:

I'm probably going to lynched by saying this, but do you think that Henry being taken off had an effect?

I mean he didn't seem his usual self from the start, granted, but his influence on the game, and his ability off the ball may have been helping the team gel.

Could just be a coincidence, but when he went off (as on saturday) Arsenal just didn't seem *as* much of a threat going forward, and there seem to be a lacking of....fluency?

I'm not here to mock btw, genuine question icon14.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I thought Arsenal were rather ineffective for most of the second half, not just after Henry went off...

I've actually found coming on here and airing my grief quite therepeutic. When compared to not speaking to anyone for days after an important defeat as I used to - things are definitely improving.

Only one minor irritant as well... easily dealt with... so on the whole not bad! icon_biggrin.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>so can i start on you now as well as wicom then?

easy passage to the final!!! where's your treble gone?!!! choke choke choke!!!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Juni:

Highlights are coming on in a minute icon_cool.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I need to see Cole's clearance, all the Chelsea fans stood up in front of the screen in the build up as I prepared myself for a massive cheer. Sense of relief when they cried in despair was mad! But then we lost anyway icon_frown.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It was brilliant I have to admit, but Cole seems to be good at that, did it in the cup final IIRC

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Cappo Smiffy:

I'm not here to mock btw, genuine question icon14.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I mean this as an affect on the rest of the teams mental state by the way, obviously henry would be a big plus playing wise icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ericcantona7:

http://community.sigames.com/eve/forums?a=tpc&s=21019056&f=8191933985&m=354104032&r=174105032#174105032<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Arsenal were desperate and couldn't find a young keeper who would guarentee good performances week in week out so they settled for an experienced, keeper who could fill the gap for a couple of years. Altough he's not world class he's better than Seaman has been for the last couple of years, and don't forget Arsenal had very little to spend. I am relying on Lehmann to hand Chelsea the title though. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Minor adjustment icon_wink.gificon_frown.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mika:

I need to see Cole's clearance, all the Chelsea fans stood up in front of the screen in the build up as I prepared myself for a massive cheer. Sense of relief when they cried in despair was mad! But then we lost anyway icon_frown.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It was brilliant I have to admit, but Cole seems to be good at that, did it in the cup final IIRC<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Did it a couple of times against Spurs last season as well icon_frown.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Steve Dine:

On the plus side for Arsenal, Reyes really is a terrific little player. Quality investment by them icon14.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Excellent point - far too easy to get swept up in negativity.

Reyes is looking more and more exciting with every game I see him. His touch and vision are superb for such a young player. He looked like he may take a while to settle into the premiership (time I was happy to see him take) but he's outstripped even my biggest expectations.

It's great to see such a prospect in an Arsenal shirt. icon14.gif Wenger's done it again! icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I'm probably going to lynched by saying this, but do you think that Henry being taken off had an effect?

I mean he didn't seem his usual self from the start, granted, but his influence on the game, and his ability off the ball may have been helping the team gel. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think it'd be fair to say that Arsenal aren't the same side when Henry isn't playing, but then again, that can be said for us and Shearer, and Man Yoo and RvN. icon_smile.gif Whilst Arsenal are great to watch, I think they lack a Shearer/Beattie kind of player - one who isn't afraid to stick his head in where it hurts and spit blood for the club. I'm not saying that Henry dosen't do that, I just think a british-type of centre-forward is something good to have, and I don't mean Francis Jeffers. icon_wink.gif Perhaps though, and english stiker wouldn't fit into Arsenal's style.

Archived