Arsenal v Chelsea V - It's Up For Grabs Now *spoilers and CL QF 2nd Leg related drama*

wycombe

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by thepain:

i hate the press they keep saying how chelsea are catching as up but we have a game in hand fcuking wvnkers<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

They built us up - so they could knock us back down again. Chelsea catching us in the league supports their current 'story'. Arsenal's 'demise'.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Wicom:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>and arsenal were quite fortunate to go in with a one goal lead at half time tbh

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

what match were you watching? utter nonsense.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

i was watching the match where duff should have opened the scoring after being released by a superb eidur flick, and where eidur himself would have opened the scoring, but for the timely (and somewhat fortunate) intervention of cole...

there was nary a lit match between the two sides in the first half is all i am saying... talk of one side dominating the other in the first half is bollocks

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Retro:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Father Senegal:

I wish it were that simple mate, I havent felt this bad after a game for a long time.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah I know - this is the worst I've felt since the Cup Final in 2001. I felt almost suicidal after that - just the way we'd totally outplayed them and lost to a vastly inferior side.

I feel rotten tonight for different reasons. I keep fluctuating between despair when I think about it and then hope when I think about the fact that the league is still there for the taking. Lady Luck is deserting us a little bit (Henry being out for example) but we had virtually no luck all season when we won the double in 2002. We CAN do it...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah 2001 is a good comparison. When I got in tonight I went and looked in on the kids and prayed that they never get into football so they dont have to put up with this sort of ****.

Worst thing is I know I'll be there on Friday full of expectation etc etc.

No way out is there?

That 'can I give up football' thread is actually quite good, I love all the self righteous lower league fans who jump in with 'you havent got a clue you big club supporters' when of course it is all relative.

Anyway enough depression icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Scatter:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Wicom:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>and arsenal were quite fortunate to go in with a one goal lead at half time tbh

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

i was watching the match where duff should have opened the scoring after being released by a superb eidur flick, and where eidur himself would have opened the scoring, but for the timely (and somewhat fortunate) intervention of cole...

there was nary a lit match between the two sides in the first half is all i am saying... talk of one side dominating the other in the first half is bollocks<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You seem to have missed out the three Henry one on ones and Pires headers icon_smile.gif

before making assumptions about morale and mental thoughness (or lack of it) which is pretty difficult to judge from the "armchair-in-front-of-the-telly"'s point of view, I just think the gunners looked knackered, as they did on Saturday v ManU. If fatigue it is then it would explain that Arsenal have disappeared at half-time in both games..

Yes mate - you have to admit it though - it is worth the pain isn't it?

As for the lower league self-righteous brigade. Well, as you say its relative. Each supporter has different expectations. You and I have both been through a number of expectation changes as Arsenal fans in the 70's, 80's, 90's and 00's. What were our expectations in the 70's? A good cup run if we were lucky.

Have a good trip tomorrow... or as good as one as you can under the circumstances! icon14.gif

Your kids will be into God and trips to the holy land in no time at all, Senegal, no worries icon_biggrin.gif

What's made it easier tonight is the fact that I certainly felt the loss coming tonight, because we've had such a great season so far. I knew we had to lose some time..and of course, Chelsea due for a victory against us I saw it all falling apart..And it did icon_frown.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Father Senegal:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Scatter:

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

there was nary a lit match between the two sides in the first half is all i am saying... talk of one side dominating the other in the first half is bollocks<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You seem to have missed out the three Henry one on ones and Pires headers icon_smile.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

i missed out quite a few things - it was an even first half. hell, if i was forced to say which was the better team in the first half i would have no hesitation is saying arsenal - doesn't change the fact that i thought they were a tad fortunate to take a lead in at half time...

I only watched the 2nd half this morning, so my view is a bit distorted, but Chelsea really played well, stretching Arsenal down the flanks. On a pitch like Highbury, you've got to use the full width.

Lehmann should have done better, no doubt, but Arsenal looked knackered. That was my feeling. Maybe the squad really isn't big enough.

I do feel for the Arse. I would much rather they go through than Chelsea. Although I don't think they will collapse and lose the league, it will be tough for them to get over this. This season should have been the one where they made the next step in the CL - semis or beyond, and they might feel "how better can we play?".

Having said that, they can now focus on the league, and if you asked any Arsenal fan at the beginning of the season if he would be happy with winning that title, he would have said yes.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Having said that, they can now focus on the league, and if you asked any Arsenal fan at the beginning of the season if he would be happy with winning that title, he would have said yes. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

true

thanks i feel a bit more happy now

i missed out quite a few things - it was an even first half. hell, if i was forced to say which was the better team in the first half i would have no hesitation is saying arsenal - doesn't change the fact that i thought they were a tad fortunate to take a lead in at half time...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

We were the better side, had a lot more chances, and scored one of them, how can we have been fortunate to go in ahead icon_confused.gif

We were the better side, had a lot more chances, and scored one of them, how can we have been fortunate to go in ahead icon_confused.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

apparently, in the 1st half, 7 shots for Arsenal 6 for Chelsea, 1 each on target possession 51-49 etc... scroll up icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

I don't think anyone could really say Arsenal didn't deserve to lead at half-time tbh :/<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Only Scatter. His posts speak for themselves.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Zuff:

We were the better side, had a lot more chances, and scored one of them, how can we have been fortunate to go in ahead icon_confused.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

apparently, in the 1st half, 7 shots for Arsenal 6 for Chelsea, 1 each on target possession 51-49 etc... scroll up icon_wink.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry yeah you are right, never mind that I was there watching the game, lets look at meaninless stats.

ffs.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by sammyboy80:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

I don't think anyone could really say Arsenal didn't deserve to lead at half-time tbh :/<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Only Scatter. His posts speak for themselves.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Tbf, he more than knows what he's talking about generally, I just disagree this time :/

Sorry yeah you are right, never mind that I was there watching the game, lets look at meaninless stats. ffs.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Of course you were watching the game, so was I and I did think Arsenal were the better side by miles then.. but I have the honesty to know that I am biased because it's the team I support.. Objectivity does not exist.

i can dort of see why scatter thinks that tbh. either team could have gone into the half time break in the lead. both had chances ,but arsenal took theirs. not to say that i think they didn't deserve a lead, but chelsea could just have easily scored.

anyway, bestime, but before i go, one more word to wicom.

CHOKE CHOKE CHOKE

night night, sweet dreams :kisses: icon_biggrin.gif

anyhoo, i don't dispute that Arsenal were the better side in the 1st half. I dispute the "we had lots more chances".. "meaningless" stats they may be.. but it simply just isn't true that Arsenal had a lot more chances. Having said, that, I don't think we were "fortunate" to lead at half time, i think we deserved it as I think Chelsea deserved to win the game.

It seems weird to be feeling gutted and down after the first two defeats (excluding the Carling cup of course) since the group phase of the CL. We've had a fantastic season, but these two solitary losses are really significant ones, it's a damn shame icon_frown.gif

Here's hoping we can regain our well known composure and form for the last 8 league games icon14.gif

So your being deliberately objective to avoid being biased. icon14.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

nope, I am trying to reduce my subjectivity. Objectivity is indeed utopia, still, it's good to try and tend to it, even knowing it won't be reached..

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Monkeh:

night night, sweet dreams :kisses: icon_biggrin.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Have I called you a c*nt tonight Monkeh?

If not I apologise icon_smile.gif

Hope the paper round goes well tomorrow.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>you did, but thanks for thinking of me and doing it again icon_smile.gif

on this philosophical note, I shall go raid the fridge.. baaaad case of munchies icon_biggrin.gif

and Senegal, hope you feel better tomorrow.. if not, I'm sure beating geordies and scousers will cheer you up @ the weekend

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Monkeh:

you did, but thanks for thinking of me and doing it again icon_smile.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Always a pleasure icon_smile.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>i know you are, but what am i?

erm, anyway, bed.

ps, XCHOKE

Hopefully Arsenal will remain in their run of bad form and underperform in the next two games...so we can challange for the title icon_biggrin.gif.

I kinda feel sorry for the arsenal fans..but it was a great game to watch/win icon_smile.gif

HEY EVERYBODY I'VE BEEN SMOKING GANJA<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

not today actually icon_wink.gif tho I really felt like it after the game

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Senor Ding Dong:

Um I can't be bothered to read through 5 pages of reaction but has any actually thought Monaco will beat Chelsea? They've just knocked out Real Madrid and aren;t on bad form. And of course there was the 8-3 icon14.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I hope they can/will.. tho I don't think they will.. I'll be cheering on my pseudo-countrymen all the way tho icon_wink.gif

btw.. Despite Arenal's defeat, I reckon the return of 2-leg games is an excellent thing for the Champions League. Excitement like tonight's (and in Monaco of course) just cannot come from group stages games..

on this.. night all!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Zuff:

btw.. Despite Arenal's defeat, I reckon the return of 2-leg games is an excellent thing for the Champions League. Excitement like tonight's (and in Monaco of course) just cannot come from group stages games..

on this.. night all!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nope, disagree.

UEFA is for the knockouts, and 2nd phase in the Champion's League gives you even more top quality games between big clubs, and then you really get the excitement in the last 8.

Haven't got used to/don't like the current format.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Juventino4Life:

All I can say is Henry and Arsenal are chokers when it counts most, they can win the premier league all they want, but as soon as they reach the quarters, thats when the whole squad shows how overated they are in Europe and as always, they FAIL<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dude, that bull****...

... infact **** it, I can't even be bothered to answer that point.

Big up the Chelsea though (nice to see a couple of English on the scoresheet too) icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Juventino4Life:

All I can say is Henry and Arsenal are chokers when it counts most, they can win the premier league all they want, but as soon as they reach the quarters, thats when the whole squad shows how overated they are in Europe and as always, they FAIL<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I wouldn't say that. There wasn't a lot in it. Henry maybe wasn't at his best, but that's been the case for a few weeks now. He didn't choke, he's just not in form. Perhaps he peaked too early this season.

With the quality of sides now in the CL, any one of the quarter-finalists could win it given a bit of luck. Just because Arsenal haven't progressed it doesn't mean they aren't one of the best sides in Europe.

You could just as easily have said that about Man U - until 99.

And don't Juve have an enviable record of LOSING European Cup finals - and one of the two they one was under VERY dodgy circumstances (a non-existent penalty and a bunch of dead fans).

On the game:

Thought Arsenal looked gvery tired in patches - there was particularly one near the end, where they brought the ball out of defence and it looked like Vieira could hardly keep standing. Henry was fairly anonymous, but was well crowded. Pires looked dangerous in flashes but faded out of the game after half-time. Vieira only looked dangerous when Chelsea had the ball - he tackled well but gave it away. And I don't think Edu had a single effective pass for the first twenty minutes.

Having said that . . . Cole was magnificent, a marvellous defensive and attacking performance with the goal-line clearance at the end a high point, as well as that slight header that put Gudjohnsen off in the first half. Reyes was also excellent, holding it up well and a few special passes. But too many good players who didn't make an impact. For Wenger to see such an obviously exhausted team, and bring on one substitute after 75 minutes, was a mistake. But Wenger had a very big dilemma - he couldn't change from two strikers because Chelsea were already controlling midfield too much, Reyes was almost our best player - but how can you justify taking off one of the best players in the world? Biting the bullet and subbing Henry was, I felt, the right decision from a tough choice.

On the blue side:

Standouts: Gudjohnsen was superb - playing very well to set up his striker partner. Every touch was right, every pass was the correct choice. That little touch for Duff in the first half was maybe the best touch by anyone in the match (other than Lampard's shots). Lampard was very good in the first half, but less prominent in the second as his teammates raised their games. Terry held Henry well, while bringing on Gronjaer was very effective - preventing Cole from getting forward and curbing Ljungberg when he switched to the left. But overall Chelsea allowed Arsenal no space on the ball, and no time anywhere to develop attacks.

As I said to my Chelsea-supporting friend when the draw was announced a few wekks ago - if Chelsea win this, then that alone makes up for the last five years. And it has. And I'm sad.

The real winners from today are Milan. Carlo Ancelotti must be the third happiest man on earth. Ranieri was plainly the first, and I can't see Dideri Deschamps being too displeased, either. icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Terry Cheung:

And that coming from a Man Utd fan. I agree though. Just because Man Utd and Arsenal have hit short bad patches doesnt mean they arent in the worlds best atm, even though Man Utd look like they have pulled themselves out of their's.

It's up to us to get ourselves out of ours aswell.

As for the ECL, we'll be back next season. You live, play and learn (hopefully).

COME ON ARSENAL!!

I wouldn't say that. There wasn't a lot in it. Henry maybe wasn't at his best, but that's been the case for a few weeks now. He didn't choke, he's just not in form. Perhaps he peaked too early this season.

With the quality of sides now in the CL, any one of the quarter-finalists could win it given a bit of luck. Just because Arsenal haven't progressed it doesn't mean they aren't one of the best sides in Europe.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Archived