Arsenal v Chelsea V - It's Up For Grabs Now *spoilers and CL QF 2nd Leg related drama*

wycombe

Poor Arsenal...., never mind Treble, never mind double, even, never mind Trophies... This time,No One,will still dare to argue you are the best team in England, not after what you've been through...! People have hearts you know icon_biggrin.gif

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Father Senegal:

Sorry yeah you are right, never mind that I was there watching the game, lets look at meaninless stats.

ffs.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

gimme a break... as i said when i mentioned the stats - i was only getting in with them first before sammyboy assaulted me with them. i said at the time they mean fup all...

all though, funny how sammyboy won't argue the stats now when they don't suit his argument, yet on the FA Cup Semi it was stat this, stat that... icon_wink.gif

YES!! Im sooooo happy about the result last night!!! Why? Is is cos i support Chelsea? No. Is it cos i support Spurs? No. Its because we've finally seen justice!

Jens Lehmann is a liability and its about time the Arsenal faithfull admitted hes been Wengers worst ever signing. Hes made more howlers this season than most quality keepers make in their whole career but hes always been lucky enough to get away with it. But finally thats 3 goals conceded to Chelsea and 2 of them thanks to Lehmann.

Ive always said hes dodgy right from his first game in the Charity Shield but all my Arsenal mates refused to admit it, and now at last JUSTICE!!! \o/\o/\o/\o/

First off - well done to Chelsea. John Terry played the game of his life, and they dominated the second half.

I was absolutely gutted last night - but this morning I am a little better as I can see we were beaten by the better team.

We were good in the first half, but as Jim said earlier in the thread - looked nervy at times - Henry especially with that chance on his left foot - he snatched at it, when he had time to cut inside.

Cole and Pires were linking up well down the left, and the Duff chance aside, we defended well.

Second half was another story - I wonder what Wenger said to Cole about Gronkjaer, because he didn't get forward hardly at all in the second half - if Wenger said to him something about being careful because we had the lead - I don't know, but IMO the best way to keep Gronkjaer quiet would have been to attack him.

Midfield went missing again - Makelele had a crap first half but really got into it in the second half. Vieira Edu and Pires went missing - when the going got tough - a bad habit they seem to have gotten into.

I can't blame the defence for the goals - Lehman was slightly unlucky IMO - and I have played in goal at a high standard - the shot was hit very hard and he was just trying to get something on it - unfortunately he seemed to make two contacts with it, which slowed it down enough to bounce out to Lampard.

Not quite sure where the boys are mentally - we haven't really played well for a while - the league wins against Bolton and Charlton were good - but we were really hanging on in both towards the end.

I'd like you opinions on Vieira really lads - I am struggling to remember a game where he really bossed the midfield in the Champions League.

Lauren kept Duff quiet for the most part, and Campbell and Toure were solid, whilst Cole was excellent.

Good luck to Chelsea in the Semi-Final.

Those big four games we talked about , 2 x Chelsea, 2x Utd - 2 draws and 2 defeats really isn't good enough.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Shawn Michaels:

I'd like you opinions on Vieira really lads - I am struggling to remember a game where he really bossed the midfield in the Champions League.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

it's probably more than a bit harsh to start questioning the ability of certain players (with the probable exception of lehman - who despite some good moments has been the weak link all season). vieira has been a colossus in that midfield for a number of years now.

i got laughed at a few weeks ago when i said arsenal have been unbelievably lucky this season - not because they have fluked any particular game, but because the depth of the squad has not been tested at all this season. now that it has they have been found out. the squad is quite simply too small in terms of quality for a sustained assault on multiple fronts, and it could cost them a chance of winning anything in the end.

last night was arsenals 51st game of the season, and so far this season the most appearances for the club have been:

Kolo Toure - 47

Jens Lehmann - 47

Robert Pires - 44

Thierry Henry - 43

Edu - 43

When you take out the number of games played in the league cup, that means that those players have played in just about every single game so far this season - far too much to ask when you factor in internationals etc. the squad is simply too small. arsenal would have been better served by going out of the fa cup (and to a lesser extent the league cup) at the first hurdle imo...

What a great game that was and they were well matched and was even ... shame we couldn't get 30 minutes extra time out of it but, Hey !

Arsenal were certainly in control first half and there was a 10-15 minute period before half time where they were coming at Chelsea in waves and they could not clear their lines.

Henry had a coupla' decent chance which he may have done better with and Duff had a flurry where he cut inside ...

... Similar to the United game i thought Arsenal midfielr started so well and after about 25 mins Edu drifted out ... then back in ... then out for spells ...

Was not impressed with Ljungberg again ... this is going back a season or so now for me ... not recaptured his form of the last title winning season and does not get forward with his usual vigour ... rarely saw him rampaging on the right and not once to the line ... Lauren was pushing up ... oddly, i felt Cole was not doing too much attacking and not over-lapping Pires / Henry on Arsenal's favoured left as he usually does and Arsenal seemed to be cutting inside and trying to play through a (solid) Chelsea middle.

I thought Arsenal needed to hold that (deserved) 1-0 for 15 mins but as soon as Lampard equalised (Lehmann has to be disappointed !) Chelsea kinda took over for a bit ... maybe a little edgy but this is when Edu should have come off for me.

What a clearance from Cole and i have seen him make some great clearances for Arsenal on the line over the seasons ... Arsenal did start to look weary and Henry has a hamstring apparently and i think it will benefit him to not play for a coupla' games.

Well worked winner from Bridge and nice finish and far from crisis but Arsenal have to be disappointed to have not gone on and gone further ...

No one mentioned the Chelsea vs Deschamp / Monaco thing for the semi yet !

Really happy for Ranieri after all that's happened and glad to have an English team in the semis ... would have liked to have seen Arsenal through but Chelsea probably deserved it based on their 2nd half performance.

Hope they go on and win it ! icon14.gif

Tough games coming up for Arsenal now that they have to pick themselves up for and obvioulsy in the driving seat with regard to the league ... interesting to see the mental affects this will have though ... not only cause of the amount of matches but because the quality they are playing during that spell !

Some players have looked weary and alot of them have played a damn lot of games for Arsenal this season !

Very interesting stats Scattola, just as a comparison -

Man Utd - played 45 games

John O`Shea - 38 (2)

Tim Howard - 37

Ruud van Nistelrooy - 37 (2)

Mikael Silvestre - 35 (1)

Ryan Giggs - 35 (3)

Philip Neville - 34 (2)

Gary Neville - 33

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Scatter:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Father Senegal:

Sorry yeah you are right, never mind that I was there watching the game, lets look at meaninless stats.

ffs.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

gimme a break... as i said when i mentioned the stats - i was only getting in with them first before sammyboy assaulted me with them. i said at the time they mean fup all...

all though, funny how sammyboy won't argue the stats now when they don't suit his argument, yet on the FA Cup Semi it was stat this, stat that... icon_wink.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I wasnt responding to your post Scatter icon_razz.gif

Arsenal played some great stuff in the first 45, they passed the ball MUCH better than Chelsea did and it is credit to the Chelsea defence that they were still in the game at H-T.

Once Chelsea equalised it appeared to me that Arsenal started to lose belief and confidence and some of the Arsenal players seemed to go 'missing'.

Funny how the media are now "Arsenal were too tired after playing too many games" as opposed to "Ranieri's Tinker Tactics mean Chelsea can't win". Perhaps the endless squad rotation is bearing fruit now at the end of the season if Chelsea are fresher than Arsenal. - Whatever, our wonderful tabloid press will always look for the 'crisis' rather than a good story.

Should I mention the Gooners ripping into me at the start of this thread when I said Lehmann was dodgy...?

Nah

Oh! I just did! icon_biggrin.gificon14.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ormondroyd:

Should I mention the Gooners ripping into me at the start of this thread when I said Lehmann was dodgy...?

Nah

Oh! I just did! icon_biggrin.gificon14.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

So one mistake means he's a dodgy keeper does it?

Howard must be dodgy too then I guess.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> unfortunately he seemed to make two contacts with it, which slowed it down enough to bounce out to Lampard.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I thought that, the first contact was going to send it to his left, he then made another contact that sent it perfectly into Lampard's path.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Wicom:

I thought that, the first contact was going to send it to his left, he then made another contact that sent it perfectly into Lampard's path.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

For me, the mistake was that he appeared to try and punch it, instead of using his palms. Like in the first leg, it was a poor decision that had a serious result as much through bad luck as anything. One other days he'd have got away with both 9 times out of 10.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Retro:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ormondroyd:

Nah

Howard must be dodgy too then I guess.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I know one mistake doesn't make him dodgy, but he has made far more than just one mistake. Almost every game this season, he's dropped the ball or kicked badly or even made a mistake to gift a goal. His shot-stopping is good, but he isn't an all-round keeper for me.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by foobR:

Very interesting stats Scattola, just as a comparison -

Man Utd - played 45 games

John O`Shea - 38 (2)

Tim Howard - 37

Ruud van Nistelrooy - 37 (2)

Mikael Silvestre - 35 (1)

Ryan Giggs - 35 (3)

Philip Neville - 34 (2)

Gary Neville - 33<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

think of some of the points we've dropped with some of those players have been 'rested'.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Retro:

Nah

Howard must be dodgy too then I guess.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sounds good enough to me!

One mistake in each leg of the CL Q-F btw.

Lehmann is a good keeper, but he's not in the same class as Seaman was a few years back. Surely he's not French enough for Arsenal anyways...maybe Barthez could come back to England.... icon_biggrin.gif

er scatter, do those stats include appearences made as substitute? because I'd be very surprised if Edu has played 43 games this season...

and anyway, I don't think you can apply tiredness across all our players. Henry had his midseason break, Vieira missed the first half of the season really, Edu hasn't played that much, Ljungberg has been very much stop start, Lehmann it doesn't apply to. the only player I'd say who looked tired yesterday was Pires...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Cheesey Cottager:

Almost every game this season, he's dropped the ball or kicked badly or even made a mistake to gift a goal. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Utter utter rubbish.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That might have come out wrong, I meant that he's done one of those things every match, not all of them

For me, the mistake was that he appeared to try and punch it, instead of using his palms. Like in the first leg, it was a poor decision that had a serious result as much through bad luck as anything. One other days he'd have got away with both 9 times out of 10.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I never understand why goalies try to punch it. Surely with a fist the margin for error is much smaller than with a flat palm?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Cheesey Cottager:

Almost every game this season, he's dropped the ball or kicked badly or even made a mistake to gift a goal. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That might have come out wrong, I meant that he's done one of those things every match, not all of them<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

And you've been to how many of Arsenals games this season to come up with this fact?

Just to say well played Chelsea, i wanted them to win it simply for Ranieri. Whether he's the manager to take Chelsea on or not, i don't think anyone could do anything but admire the dignity he's shown.

More an enthralling game than a really high quality one. the ball was given away an awful lot, as often happens in games of this pressure. Arsenal were the better team in the first half, Chelsea in the second.

Arsenals problem at the moment seems to be turning pressure into chances, and chances into goals (depending how well they are playing at any stage in the game). They are still playing well as a unit, their biggest problem seems to be that Pires and Ljungberg have just gone slightly off the boil. I don't think it would be noticeable if it hadn't happened to them both at the same time.

I also don't think anyone can talk about bottle or anything like that until we see how Arsenal recover from this setback. They have lost two very tight games to their two main rivals. That is all. It's how they do from now that will show whether this team has the required mental strength, and losing two very big, tight games that they could have won is not an indicator of that.

Oh, and as for biguk's predictions. If you read the first post in the thread, it was for a chelsea win against spurs (correct), the cup semi to go to extra time (wrong), and last night to be a draw (wrong). Not exactly nostradamus, is it? icon_biggrin.gif

Well in Chelsea and up yours Arsenal icon14.gif

That's the problem with going on long unbeaten runs like Arsenal have - when that first defeat comes it's a really shock to the system and psychology of the players. They lost 4 in a row last season after a 30-odd game unbeaten run, didn't they?

That might have come out wrong, I meant that he's done one of those things every match, not all of them<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

And you've been to how many of Arsenals games this season to come up with this fact?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Some, my Mum's an Arse season ticket holder, but they're on TV every fecking week anyway. I don't think I've missed more than a couple of TV games this season, so I'll go and try and find out how many matches I've seen.

Lehmann is a good keeper, but he's not in the same class as Seaman was a few years back. Surely he's not French enough for Arsenal anyways...maybe Barthez could come back to England.... icon_biggrin.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Of course he's not in the same class as Seaman was a few years back! What do you expect?

That's like saying Howard isn't in the same class as Schmeichel... of couse he's not and its unfair to think he could be.

Lehmann is a good keeper, but he's not in the same class as Seaman was a few years back. Surely he's not French enough for Arsenal anyways...maybe Barthez could come back to England.... icon_biggrin.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Of course he's not in the same class as Seaman was a few years back! What do you expect?

That's like saying Howard isn't in the same class as Schmeichel... of couse he's not and its unfair to think he could be.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well looking at the posts by Arsenal fans (after all, if you don't support them you aren't qualified to say anything about their players icon_rolleyes.gif ) we've gone from

Lehmann is fb

to

OMG where's Sebastien Frey?

back to

Lehmann is fb

So I just don't know WHAT to think any more. Still, nice to know there's plenty Gooners to come on here and make my mind up for me icon14.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Wicom:

Lehmann is better than what Seaman was last season, some people have such short memories...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Who's that aimed at?

Lehmann is better than what Seaman was last season, some people have such short memories...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Who's that aimed at?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

not you icon_razz.gif

Well looking at the posts by Arsenal fans (after all, if you don't support them you aren't qualified to say anything about their players icon_rolleyes.gif ) we've gone from

Lehmann is fb

to

OMG where's Sebastien Frey?

back to

Lehmann is fb

So I just don't know WHAT to think any more. Still, nice to know there's plenty Gooners to come on here and make my mind up for me icon14.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

wtf are you on about?

So some Arsenal fans thought Lehmann was a good keeper before last night. Some, totally different fans don't like him either before or after, and the original ones defend him after the game... and that constitutes us changing our minds does it?

And because we state our opinion on one of our players that means we are telling you what to think?

Sorry, I forgot we should have just let you make your comment and just ignored it... actually that's probably a good choice after all.

Roman speaks!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Chelsea's dramatic UEFA Champions League quarter final victory over rivals Arsenal showed "Russian character" according to Roman Abramovich in a rare public comment.

The Blues came from behind against their London rivals to win 3-2 on aggregate on Tuesday, thanks to a late goal from England defender Wayne Bridge which earned them a 2-1 away win on the night.

"Chelsea played great and I think the team showed the Russian character to hold, to fight, to win," said the Russian oil tycoon in comments relayed through his spokesman.

"This is a great result. We are now waiting for Monaco."

He made no comment about the future of coach Claudio Ranieri whose position had been thought to be under threat all season.

Chelsea meet Monaco in the semi-final of Europe's top club competition after the French club achieved a shock 3-1 home defeat of Spain's Real Madrid.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh by the way - could ALL Arsenal fans please decide to agree on all aspects Arsenal in the future. We must make sure that every one of us has the same opinion on each of our players because it seems that if even one has a different opinion, it confuses Ormondroyd.

Thanks icon14.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Scatter:

ffs.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

all though, funny how sammyboy won't argue the stats now when they don't suit his argument, yet on the FA Cup Semi it was stat this, stat that... icon_wink.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

ffs, you are a pathetic joke icon_biggrin.gif

I use stats when they have something worthy to show. Against ManU the stats showed that we had PLENTY more chances on goal that ManU did, and I felt the loss was undeserved (as SAF and Keano themselves insinuated).

Last night (if you bothered to read the thread) I said that we deserved to lose and that Chelsea were the better team on the night. The stats can also coroborate that, btw. We lost fully deservedly and that's that.

Care to skate out on to thinner ice, or is this meaningless witch hunt going to serve a purpose some time in the near future??

Oh by the way - could ALL Arsenal fans please decide to agree on all aspects Arsenal in the future. We must make sure that every one of us has the same opinion on each of our players because it seems that if even one has a different opinion, it confuses Ormondroyd.

Thanks icon14.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Lauren is fb icon_cool.gif

Thanks icon14.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Duly noted, thanks for the reminder Retro icon14.gif

Lauren is fb icon_cool.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ah good point. Well we must all agree on this because according to my records we've had:

Lauren is fb

Lauren is crap

Get Hoyte in

Lauren is fb

Lauren is crap

Lauren is fb

Lauren must be replaced

That's enough to confuse anyone.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by James07?:

You've got your own thread to get the Gooner house in order icon_rolleyes.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah but its full of gloating Man Utd and Spurs fans... the irony is too much for me to bear.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by James07?:

You've got your own thread to get the Gooner house in order icon_rolleyes.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

*gets out shiny axe* Nah, can't be bothered to slay anyone today..

Yeah but its full of gloating Man Utd and Spurs fans... the irony is too much for me to bear.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Have the Scousers not made it in yet? I must rectify that. See you in there.

I was at a gig last night, a laid back affair, you could hear a pin drop whilst the songwriters performed when I got a text message "ARSENAL AND REAL ARE OUT" to which I made a loud noise that must have annoyed half the people there icon_biggrin.gif

Anyway, from what I've read so far, Arsenal bottled it again and I'm not one bit suprised. I had tenner bet with oul fella that Chelsea would go through too \o/ And I'll win 20 quid if(when icon_wink.gif ) they lose a game in the premiership.

Happy Days icon_smile.gif

What Roman really said was "Get me Prince Rainier on the phone - I have some business to discuss"

"Russian Character" - I'm not sure I wnat to know exactly what that entails.....hopefully raucous Vodka drinking as opposed to a 10 year stint in the saltmines icon_wink.gif

Good for Chelsea and Ranieri that out of the starters last night 7 of the players and 1 of the subs were there prior to Roman's Roubles - hopefully they won't go and splurge zillions over the summer just for the sake of it because the team has played very well over the course of the season and doesn't need another dozen international midfielders getting splinters from sitting on the bench.

We've already got Petr Cech & Arjen Robben coming to us - I'd like to see another Centre-Half sign because 'The Rock' Desailly is starting to look more and more like 'The Pebble' as age catches up with him - and maybe another striker in to replace Crespo - though with Forssell banging them in for Brum, it would be more sensible to get him back and give him the opportunity than spend a king's ransom on Vieri.

Monaco will be a tough game for Chelsea - French club football is on the rise because with a lot of the big clubs around the EU looking suspect financially, players who would have been out of reach for French sides a couple of years ago are now arriving there (e.g. Elber, Morientes) as transfers or loanees. Also, French clubs are able to hold onto their promising youngsters for longer - Jerome Rothen is fantastic from what I've seen of him.

Anyone got the spread on the number of Tottenham fans to call 6-0-6 at the weekend pretending to support Arsenal and saying "Wenger must go"?

why does everyone talk about arsenal being tired, thats all people went on about on youreonskysports last night'

People talk about arsenal in terms of being one of, if not the greatest team ever and thats what its all about "team". Arsenal put the same 11 out week in week out it seems so they are bound to get tired and thats one of the reasons they will never be as good as the Man Utd 99 team, and they will never be great unless they start resting players.

IMO next season we will see the other side of Arsenal as the majority of there 1st eleven will be at Euro 2004 and just like when Arsenal won the title in 01/02 then started talking about how the power had shifted from Man Utd right before the World Cup and Utd won the title last season.

Basically Arsenal have one of the best 1st elevens in the world but its all about squads these days and next season will prove that once again.

Archived