Arsenal v Chelsea V - It's Up For Grabs Now *spoilers and CL QF 2nd Leg related drama*

wycombe

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Patty the Phenom:

I just hope we can get our act together in time for Friday. No more distractions left now, it really is a case of the Arsenal players to prove that they really are still hurting from last years tail-end collapse and show the desire to win the league.

We were due to lose some games, Im rather happy it has not been in the league so far. We are still in a strong position, have to keep the faith<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I thought the loss against Man Utd was a needed one and would put our feet on the ground once again. But it wasnt.

Perhaps this loss now will wake us up.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Campbell and Terry are the best English centre-backs. I said that before Ferdinand was banned and his performances this season have supported it.

Anyone who doesn't notice how awesome Campbell is isn't watching the match properly in my opinion. He's not spectacular because he doesn't need to be. He's a rare breed in that he does his job so well, he doesn't have to make last-ditch tackles. He's in position 99% of the time, and he's usually in a good position to plug any gaps left by his colleagues. Also, there isn't a stronger more imposing centre-back in the Premiership.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by bigguk:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Retro:

Monkeh: What we are saying isn't a contradiction at all. Yes, one of our strengths is indeed playing as a unit, as a team I agree. But that's not the same as having mental strength.

The fact was, tonight we played as a team in the first half, and we collapsed as a team in the second.

Mika: As for Lauren... as I said in my post I thought he had a good game tonight, and I'm one of his biggest critics usually.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hello Retro icon_smile.gifBeen to the hall of fame yet?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> icon_biggrin.gif

I hope Gilbertos brought back Friday, we look a much better unit with him rather than Edu in the team. Edu's more creative but we look much more solid with Gilberto.

Last 20 we were there for the taking and Chelsea were getting the ball in dangerous positions which Gilberto cuts off with his positioning.

I think with Ray Parlour we would have won at least one of these last few matches. Henry usually spurs the team on but hes been sulking. I expect to hear the stadium erupting for the last 20 pushing Arsenal on but it was never gonna happen was it? Only for corners. It's not 1995 people, we can score through other means than corners!

I think Cole was the best Arsenal player, and what a shot from Toure. Is there anything he cant do? Put him in goals!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Retro:

Campbell and Terry are the best English centre-backs. I said that before Ferdinand was banned and his performances this season have supported it.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ferdinand was superb leading up to his ban icon_confused.gif easily the best he's played for United. Remember, we had the best defensive record in the EPL upto his ban starting.

Anyone who doesn't notice how awesome Campbell is isn't watching the match properly in my opinion. He's not spectacular because he doesn't need to be. He's a rare breed in that he does his job so well, he doesn't have to make last-ditch tackles. He's in position 99% of the time, and he's usually in a good position to plug any gaps left by his colleagues. Also, there isn't a stronger more imposing centre-back in the Premiership.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree - and for a Spurs fan this is difficult to say - but Campbell is pure class. As you say he doesn't get himself into the kind of position where he hsa to make last ditch tackles very often and even if he does he generally pulls them off. He is top class icon14.gif I can never forgive him though

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Wicom:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by James07?:

Bergkamp in the 1st minute?

The Toure header?

The Pires header?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

hmmm, fair enough, I'd argue those chances weren't created using our usual style of play though...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

eh?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by nunation:

It's all well and good saying congrats to chelski, but look at what a sh*t semi-final we've got. _Monaco vs. Chelsea_ icon13.gificon13.gif

I'd rather see Real Madrid Vs. Arsenal any day

icon_frown.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well they were the better teams so they deserve to be in the semis, i dont think it will be sh*t at all, Monaco are a good solid team and Chelsea are a class team.

Anyone who doesn't notice how awesome Campbell is isn't watching the match properly in my opinion. He's not spectacular because he doesn't need to be. He's a rare breed in that he does his job so well, he doesn't have to make last-ditch tackles. He's in position 99% of the time, and he's usually in a good position to plug any gaps left by his colleagues. Also, there isn't a stronger more imposing centre-back in the Premiership.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>funny that, i'd say the same thing to people who doubt ferdinand's ability. (apart from the strength and size, but being a big ape is no reason for campbell to be considered better than rio)

also, his true abilty has shown, imo, since he was banned and utd have *guffaw* thrown the league away.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by nunation:

It's all well and good saying congrats to chelski, but look at what a sh*t semi-final we've got. _Monaco vs. Chelsea_ icon13.gificon13.gif

Rubbish.

The class and spirit displayed by Monaco during the 2 legs are far more appealing to the neutral than Real's "20 minutes of football magic per game" system which they've been ruthlessly using this season.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Leyser:

I think Arsenal will be able to handle this one as well, though personally I would much rather see Chelsea win it.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm torn myself, I don't particularly like Arsenal and think it'd be funny if after all the hype about the treble (although generated by the press not the club), if they lost everything. But then I don't like the whole idea of the trophies being bought by a rich Russian and Peter Kenyon. I think Claudio is just edging it Chelsea's way at the moment, as it'd be nice to see him win something before he gets sacked. icon14.gif

Heh yeah, Monaco winning against Real over the two legs. A weird day off footbal me thinks.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Wicom:

please stop mentioning Monaco being in the next round, makes me feel even worse icon_frown.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think you'd had a better chance against Madrid than Monaco. Honestly.

please stop mentioning Monaco being in the next round, makes me feel even worse icon_frown.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>monaco are in theb next round, arsenal have missed out on an easy passage to the final.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ericcantona7:

I think you'd had a better chance against Madrid than Monaco. Honestly.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

everyone says that, but I'd fancy our chances against monaco

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Monkeh:

monaco are in theb next round, arsenal have missed out on an easy passage to the final.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

*jumps out of window*

Monkeh: I didn't say Ferdinand was crap. I just happen to think Terry and Campbell are better that's all.

It's a shame we don't have such an abundance of riches in other positions really isn't it? icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TekTranCe:

Heh yeah, Monaco winning against Real over the two legs. A weird day off footbal me thinks.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not weird, I predicted it and so did many others (see the ECL predictions thread)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Henrys Afro:

I hope Gilbertos brought back Friday, we look a much better unit with him rather than Edu in the team. Edu's more creative but we look much more solid with Gilberto.

Last 20 we were there for the taking and Chelsea were getting the ball in dangerous positions which Gilberto cuts off with his positioning.

I think with Ray Parlour we would have won at least one of these last few matches. Henry usually spurs the team on but hes been sulking. I expect to hear the stadium erupting for the last 20 pushing Arsenal on but it was never gonna happen was it? Only for corners. It's not 1995 people, we can score through other means than corners!

I think Cole was the best Arsenal player, and what a shot from Toure. Is there anything he cant do? Put him in goals!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What is it with Gilberto, when he's there he gets slated and when he's finally dropped due to popular demand for Edu, everyone wants him back!

I hate when people say stuff like that. If you're not good enough to win you don't deserve to be in the next round so I'd rather see Chelsea vs Monaco as Arsenal and Real clearly weren't up to the job icon_frown.gif

It's easy to say now, but I'd have fancied Arsenal strongly to beat Madrid. Not much to choose between the two attacking-wise, but Arsenal, Lehmann aside, are far stronger at the back. Guess we'll never know though,...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mika:

What is it with Gilberto, when he's there he gets slated and when he's finally dropped due to popular demand for Edu, everyone wants him back!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's called hindsight icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ericcantona7:

I think you'd had a better chance against Madrid than Monaco. Honestly.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

everyone says that, but I'd fancy our chances against monaco<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>i think chelsea would have stood a better chance against madrid than arsenal. like man utd last year, i don't know how well arsenal would have coped to being dominated for large parts of the match. monaco would have been such an easy match for arsenal.

Anyone who doesn't notice how awesome Campbell is isn't watching the match properly in my opinion. He's not spectacular because he doesn't need to be. He's a rare breed in that he does his job so well, he doesn't have to make last-ditch tackles. He's in position 99% of the time, and he's usually in a good position to plug any gaps left by his colleagues. Also, there isn't a stronger more imposing centre-back in the Premiership.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I personally don't rate him that highly myself. Whenever I've seen him he just strikes me as being a very clumsy player. But each to their own I guess. I'd feel nervous if he was in my teams backline, much rather have someone like Terry or Southgate there.

Monaco are fab. I heard Beckham got himself booked and suspended for tonights match so he could play both semi legs. Silly Becks. Havent seen the booking so i dunno, was that the case?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Monkeh:

please stop mentioning Monaco being in the next round, makes me feel even worse icon_frown.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>monaco are in theb next round, arsenal have missed out on an easy passage to the final.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

There is no 'easy' passage, remember Leverkusen? at this stage anyone can win. Monaco have alot more passion, desire and respect for the opposition than Madrid, they will give 100% and btw Morientes>>>>Ronaldo

also I think Arsenal would've beaten Monaco but it's far from certain.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Henrys Afro:

Monaco are fab. I heard Beckham got himself booked and suspended for tonights match so he could play both semi legs. Silly Becks. Havent seen the booking so i dunno, was that the case?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah Beck's second yellow was at the end of stoppage time IIRC and was pretty deliberate! icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by KevinLFC:

When Henry went off I thought Chelsea would win. Chelsea seem to play better in europe than they do in the prem for some reason maybe their style of play is more suited to europe<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>They were playing Arsenal though, surely it would be just like a premiership game.. or better yet a domestic cup game?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mika:

Monaco are fab. I heard Beckham got himself booked and suspended for tonights match so he could play both semi legs. Silly Becks. Havent seen the booking so i dunno, was that the case?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah Beck's second yellow was at the end of stoppage time IIRC and was pretty deliberate! icon_biggrin.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

haha, the muppet icon_biggrin.gif

It's called hindsight icon_wink.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't want Bertie back instead of Edu, so the everyone is a bit out isn't it?

All that's actually happened is that we've lost two matches to the other two top teams in the Premiership. That doesn't mean that suddenly our tactics or team is crap. Any match between the top three could go any way. Even when Man Utd won those three leagues in a row at the turn of the century, our matches with them were usually very close affairs (yes, I know there was a 6-1 in there, but that was a Stepanovs/Grimandi induced freakshow).

We were two minutes from winning last week. We didn't deserve to lose on Saturday. Tonight we fell to a late goal. That doesn't mean our players aren't good enough or we're tactically unsound. It's just football!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by boroboi:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by KevinLFC:

When Henry went off I thought Chelsea would win. Chelsea seem to play better in europe than they do in the prem for some reason maybe their style of play is more suited to europe<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>They were playing Arsenal though, surely it would be just like a premiership game.. or better yet a domestic cup game?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, my Chelsea supporting mate said that earlier "we always play better in Europe" Maybe it's a mindset as apposed to tactics.

Monkeh: I didn't say Ferdinand was crap. I just happen to think Terry and Campbell are better that's all.

It's a shame we don't have such an abundance of riches in other positions really isn't it? icon_wink.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>well no you didn't, but then i never said you did did i? icon_razz.gif

it's easy to be biased anyway, but i think ferdinand, individually, is better than either, but it's possible that campbell and terry would form a better partnership. tbh, of the three top centre backs, i would rank campbell bottom, i think terry is brilliant, reminds me very much of tony adams in his prime, but i think ferdinand has a touch of extra class that is more useful, imo, in international competition against the top teams these days. being able to block the ball is good, but ferdinand has such a cool head that he's able to use the ball well, which orevents him and the rest of the defence from being back under the cosh almost immediately.

but we're straying from the point, CHOKE :D

please stop mentioning Monaco being in the next round, makes me feel even worse icon_frown.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>monaco are in theb next round, arsenal have missed out on an easy passage to the final.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

There is no 'easy' passage, remember Leverkusen? at this stage anyone can win. Monaco have alot more passion, desire and respect for the opposition than Madrid, they will give 100% and btw Morientes>>>>Ronaldo

also I think Arsenal would've beaten Monaco but it's far from certain.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think hes trying to píss Wicom off. Although I believe that Arsenal would have easily been in the final had they came up against Monaco.

When Henry went off I thought Chelsea would win. Chelsea seem to play better in europe than they do in the prem for some reason maybe their style of play is more suited to europe<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

How is playing Arsenal in the league or cup different to playing them in europe. Apart from having 2 extra on the subs bench and a german referee, and playing on a Tuesday night, none of these things make their play more suitable do they? They have been close to Arsenal all season and finally they outplayed them simple as.

also I think Arsenal would've beaten Monaco but it's far from certain.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>whoosh

I don't want Bertie back instead of Edu, so the everyone is a bit out isn't it?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Apologies. icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by bigguk:

Not talking to me Retro icon_biggrin.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Do I normally talk to you?

Well done for managing to predict three results. You must have awesome powers! Get your fixed-odds coupon in this weekend. icon_eek.gif

(yes, I know there was a 6-1 in there, but that was a Stepanovs/Grimandi induced freakshow).

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Everytime I hear that name the biggest grin possible appears on my face icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by theis:

(yes, I know there was a 6-1 in there, but that was a _Stepanovs_/Grimandi induced freakshow).

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Everytime I hear that name the biggest grin possible appears on my face icon_biggrin.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Whatever happened to Igors?

i agree with all that retro, not sure why you quoted me though !<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It was easier... or I made a mistake. You choose! icon_biggrin.gif

Archived