[FM14] Oliver Jensen's Nomadic Career Thread

fmFutbolManager

October 2014 | S.C. Olhanense monthly review

Ih97O7y.png

Results | Liga ZON SAGRES

Pleased with the comfortable win against Académica. Gonçalves again stepping in to replace my injured strikers. Very disappointed with the Porto game. We lead for most of it, conceding three late goals, all in the final ten minutes. We should have won, or in the very least drawn this match, but to give them three goals in the final ten minutes was quite disappointing. Perhaps it was my own doing, I asked the guys to 'waste time' and 'play narrower', but this just opened us up to a hammering.

xpxLqTM.png

The League Table | Liga ZON SAGRES

Too early to be concerned, but it would be nice to start pulling away form the mid-table teams. Hopefully with the fixtures we have coming up we can do that. The team are playing well, creating a lot of good chances. We should do well to finish in European places.

YbvamLf.png

Results | Taça de Portugal

Quite an easy win in the end. We played the squad players so didn't expect a complete domination, but pleased with the win. I'm hoping to do better than last season in the tournament and we have a good chance at that with Cova Piedade in the 4th round.

4RyqHAS.png

Next up...

Should be a comfortable month for us. Expectations are to win all the games. But as with us we will likely drop points along the way.

Upcoming fixtures for November.

OFTbZ32.png

Thanks for reading.

• Replies 573
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Can people see the images okay? I'm posting from a retina display, but not sure if they show up on other devices okay? My work laptop was blurred. Can someone let me know, thanks.

Images working just fine. :thup:

Realistically you're doing fine so far, considering in your opening eight games you've had to face the "big three". Got some winnable games next month aswell, so keep it up.

Images working just fine. :thup:

Realistically you're doing fine so far, considering in your opening eight games you've had to face the "big three". Got some winnable games next month aswell, so keep it up.

Ah good, thanks Tom. Must just be my work laptop then. And you're right, we have some winnable games coming up, the big three out of the way until the second half of the season so hopefully we can go on a good run now. I'd like to do a little better in the cups now that I have the squad for it.

Seems quite similar to the Belgian league where you have three/four top sides and everybody else is pretty similar in standard. A decent run of form should see you push up a few places.

It's an enjoyable league. I've never managed here before by loving the reduced number of games. 30 a season is perfect.

November 2014 | S.C. Olhanense monthly review

Ih97O7y.png

What an excellent month. Wins in all of our games. Admitedly they were against weaker opposition, but we've struggled with form and getting a good run so it was key for us to win these games and get a handle on the late goals we were conceding. Very pleased with the 6-2 win over Paços Ferreira, considering their league position and the fact that they've beaten Porto this season. This really puts us into a strong position going into December.

3e5kveK.png

Fantastic to be where we are. It's still tight, but if we can hover around 5th place we have a real chance of making European football next season and finally clearing some of this debt that has accrued.

TTRwS7T.png

Quite a formality in this round. The minimum expectation is to reach the 6th round, but we've just drawn Sporting CP, so think we're going to fall short on that expectation.

byXqcLP.png

Next up...

We cannot wait to get started next month. From finishing in the top 4 last year, Maritimo have crashed. Braga have just sacked their manager too.

Upcoming fixtures for December.

qffqwd3.png

Thanks for reading.

Did you leave early and miss the two goals you conceded against Pacos? :lol: Great set of results though, big month coming up. Upwards of seven points would be terrific.

haha thanks. I started writing about the cup win then realised I was writing in the wrong section. Remembered to change the team but forgot about the score, thanks. Seven points is what I will be aiming for.

Should have an update tonight, do stick around :)

Fantastic month! Keep it up :)

Thanks. We're going to try. Hopefully our squad is strong enough to deal with the injuries this season.

Well done hitting your stride.

Thanks Delta. Just hope we can keep it up. There are some strong sides around me this season so it's going to be tough.

December 2014 | S.C. Olhanense monthly review

Ih97O7y.png

What a ridiculous month. We've been outstanding. The result against Estoril was crazy. We had 22 shots to their 5 and we conceded on every one of their shots with us unable to convert any of ours. The goals are coming from everywhere, the players are playing some great football. We're only having about 40% possession in the games, but we're getting a lot of clear cut chances and putting them away when our opponents are struggling to get near the goal. Brilliant results, and a brilliant month.

Y9wsvUh.png

Shocked. We shouldn't be where we are. Half way through the season and sitting in fourth is crazy. I'll take it, and it's going to be hard to keep this position up, but we're going to enjoy it whilst we can.

b5JnZdP.png

Results | Taça de Liga

A simple win really. Never looked like losing this game. Gave a few others a run out and pleased with the win in what is a difficult group for us.

mFzuVkX.png

WEXoT8u.png

Next up...

What a month ahead. Sporting CF three times. This could really break our season. Moral could take a big dent if we don't save some pride, but we could be looking at three defeats in the month which is something we've not done for a while now. Nervous about it. I don't think we will be bringing anyone in, either. We've just had to send Danilo back as he injured his knee and was out for 10 months so that loan was terminated.The rest of the team is playing well though. Here goes...

Upcoming fixtures for January.

4hNFURf.png

Thanks for reading.

I'd like to finish 5th to avoid a repeat of last year where we missed out on Europe because a team outside the top six got into the final. with 10 points about 7th there's still a long way to go. This month could be a deciding one for me.

Thanks for sticking around :)

January 2015 | S.C. Olhanense monthly review

Ih97O7y.png

When you're up against two teams fighting relegation you expect to beat them. Very disappointed with our league performances. We put ourselves in a strong position at the end of the year and then it seems like the players have given up on our goal. I'll certainly be expecting more from them considering we have a lot of hard games coming up now and if we're to get into Europe this year we are going to have to step up and win the games where we're favourites.

The game against Sporting CP we were battered, despite being at home. Against Setúbal we were all over them but found ourselves 2-0 down. We went all out for the win but could only get one back. The same story against lowly Portimonense, all over them but we gave away a penalty. We managed to pull one back to level, but it wasn't enough and we only drew the game. 1 point from a potential 9.

9tBsfYQ.png

3NvVQKl.png

Results | Taça de Liga

Crazy scenes. We comfortably beat Estoril, and with us and Sporting CP level on 6 points we only needed a draw by virtue of our better goal difference. A 0-0 result secured our passage through to the semi-final. Ridiculous, but the €124k is will come in handy.

OJrubex.png

c2uqI1J.png

Shocked. Absolutely shocked. We dominated them and could have won by a lot more. They played a strong team too, but we took all of our chances and we're now through to the next round against Moreirense, which we should win. Porto are also out, and I think we're the highest ranked team left in it so if we can play well, we could end up with a final.

yBXfF4U.png

Next up...

Some tough games coming up, but we'd rather be where we are in with the tough games then out of all competitions. It's going to be another exciting month.

Upcoming fixtures for February.

uFuUNbk.png

Thanks for reading.

February 2015 | S.C. Olhanense monthly review

Ih97O7y.png

A much better month. 7 points won, and it could have been more. We comfortably won in what should have been a much closer game against Rio Ave. Out CM pairing scoring again and two from in form Testa. Benfica had a player sent off after 20 minutes, However, even with 10 men they were too strong for us and we managed to snatch a point. Belenenses didn't put up a fight and we comfortably won 4-0 to take the scoring to 10 in three games. We are the third highest scorers in the league now.

6obpYNu.png

3OGrzoX.png

Results | Taça de Liga

We are into the final! Absolutely delighted. We will play Benfica, who we've not managed to beat in four attempts so far. But even just to get there will be a fantastic occasion for the club. We comfortably dispatched of Paços Ferreira, despite the scoreline being relatively close.

M5OvMDo.png

Another fantastic performance from the boys has put us into the semi-final against Portimonense. If we can get through those two games we will face either Setúbal or Paços Ferreira in the final. You have to say we have a real chance of a cup win here, and one that won't come around again. It's going to be tough balancing the league position with a cup run.

kMOkCNi.png

Next up...

A big month for us. I'm targeting 7 points again. Porto will be the tough one, and with the semi-final against Portimonense coming up I'll be resting a few players against Moreirense.

Upcoming fixtures for March.

XZ1XqC7.png

Thanks for reading.

March 2015 | S.C. Olhanense monthly review

Ih97O7y.png

A stuttering start for us. This team sure do like to put me through it. A disappointing draw with Académica. We should have won, but we just couldn't make the break through. The Porto game was a non-starter, we just didn't turn up and were battered. What followed was a couple of really strong 3-1 wins, but again we failed to keep a clean sheet this month.

Braga have stormed up the league table and are the in form team. It's going to be tough fending them off for fourth place.

jkEFR3u.png

LNOpn8z.png

In what should have been a close result we actually walked away with it quite easily. The players were on form despite being a little jaded from the previous game. We should hopefully be able to close out the second leg and make our way to our second final this season. Remarkable.

nuLkWYC.png

Next up...

Some real winnable games this month. We should close out with maximum points. Culminating with a cup final against Benfica.

Upcoming fixtures for April.

4YCfAXm.png

Thanks for reading.

You're doing absolutely brilliantly, to say the very least. To have little Olhanense up in fourth tucked up behind the big three and ahead of Braga is pretty sensational. Make sure you finish the job off and finish in the top four or five now. :thup:

Massive congratulations on making it to the Taça de Liga Final, and been on the brink of the Taça de Portugal Final aswell. Super achievements.

Thanks Tom. Really appreciate it. I'm actually getting quite nervous now. We could have had a good gap over 5th, but Braga have stormed up the league and are looking relentless. The aim was to get into Europe this season and given that the Taça de Portugal final will be against someone outside top 6 I need to make 5th to guarantee it or win that. I have a 6 point lead to defend over 5 games.

Squeaky bum time...

April 2015 | S.C. Olhanense monthly review

Ih97O7y.png

Whose defence is this? Because I want to keep it. Stunning performances in all the games. Braga finally dropped some points which means we have qualified for the Europa League groups stages! This is a fantastic achievement and I'm so pleased for the club. It'll provide us with a much needed cash injection. We are playing so well and the goals are coming from all over. I play a 4-1-2-2-1 (4-3-3) and it seems we can score from any position at the moment which is great. Results below.

Zgo0OGm.png

93dIrKM.png

Results | Taça de Portugal | Semi-Final Second Leg

A comfortable 2-0 (5-0 agg.) win puts us through to our second final this season. And the second final in Olhanense's history. We've been very lucky with the draw and with the big teams going out early. It's given us a real chance to celebrate.

BAFj2FX.png

Results | Taça de Liga | FINAL

Shocked. We'd not beaten the runaway league leaders in 4 attempts. We got a good lead early on from a corner. I thought we'd scored too early and that Benfica would pile on the pressure but it was quite the opposite. We dominated the first half and were unlucky to be leading by only the 1 goal. The second half was much of the same for the first 15 minutes. I bought on a Gonçalves to freshen up the attack and within minutes he won a penalty. With our regular taker out injured he took it himself and smashed it into the top corner to make it 2-0.

It wasn't until the 80th minute that Benfica decided to go for it and wave after wave of attacks followed. We conceded out first goal in 6 games on 88 minutes. It was an own goal too. But we held on for a remarkable victory.

EL64hGj.png

Next up...

A couple of league games to finish up with before we go to our second cup final against Paços Ferreira. It should be another closely contested game. I'll be resting many players over the next couple of games to ensure we have a full strength squad.

Upcoming fixtures for May.

eivavUi.png

Thanks for reading.

May 2015 | S.C. Olhanense monthly review

Ih97O7y.png

A great end to the season. We have really come on as a team. I can hopefully keep a lot of the players going into next season. At the last game of the season we had a chance to get into the Champions League qualifiers as Sporting CP were just three points ahead but our goal difference was better. They were home to a rampant Benfica and we were away to Braga.

Unfortunately, Sporting did what they had to and won their final game but we did fantastic to finish within just three points. I don't think we'll be this close next season.

pENIBjf.png

qsycVdM.png

Results | Taça de Portugal | FINAL

Another win! We won our second final this season. Olhanense had failed to win a cup in their 103 year history, so this is a fantastic achievement for us all. We were taken to penalties following a 1-1 draw after extra time but in the end we finished comfortably 4-2 on penalties, scoring all of our attempts.

KWmzfmU.png

Next up...

I really don't know where this team can go next. I think just being in the group stages of the Europa League is a fantastic achievement for us. Our aim again will be to finish in the top half of the table. If we can strengthen in the right areas who knows, we may just push into the top 3 places.

A great season, thanks for reading.

Terrific campaign. Fourth in the league, though missing out on the Champions League, is a great season. Add the two cups to that and it really has been brilliant.

If you're not sure of where you can take this team next, then it sounds like it might be time to start keeping your eyes open for another opportunity. Sentiment will probably be the biggest pull in wanting to stay on, (I experienced the same at Bukovyna), but sometimes you've got to be ruthless if you're going to progress.

It was a fantastic season. I'm still not being linked with any jobs though so makes me feel my reputation isn't high enough to warrant a bigger team just yet. Hopefully we can make some strides in Europe and change that.

I'd also like to improve the youth facilities here and start generating some home grown talent as we really were reliant on another 8 loan signings and only have 3 Portuguese players in the squad. I'd like to change that and set Olhanense up for a good future. Could be here for a couple of years yet.

End of Season Review 2014/15 | S.C. Olhanense Annual review

Ih97O7y.png

Review | Liga ZON SAGRES

A fantastic performance in the league. Right up until the last day of the season we had a chance of making Champions League football. To be honest although the money would be been excellent (had we qualified), I'm over the moon with the 4th place finish we comfortably achieved. We were touted as mid-table contenders. What an achievement.

Review | Taça de Portugal

We won. Simple. It was the second final for the season. A fantastic achievement, the additional money was useful and hopefully it'll increase the club reputation so we can get in some better players.

Review | Taça de Liga

Our first cup final win in our 103 year history. I know I say it a lot but it was a fantastic achievement, more so because it was against the run away league leaders Benfica. I don't think we will be repeating this feat anytime soon so we will enjoy it for a long time to come.

What's Next...

Unfortunately we had to rely on a number of loan players again as we just don't have the budget to compete with the big three. We have a wage cap similar to the wage single players are on so based on that I don't think we can expect to finish any higher than we did.

Going into the Europa League We're just pleased to be in the group stages. Anything more than that is a bonus. The money alone from this will set us up for a couple of years to come. Very much looking forward to what's ahead.

Thanks for reading.

Been reading through this on and off after learning about it from reading Tom's great thread. I'm really enjoying the story so far and hope you stay around for a few more seasons to try and make the team a real force in Portugal & (to a lesser extent) Europe.

Thanks fuzzrab. I've got a few exciting players in this season. Cannot wait to get started. Although my best players, Jander, is valued at €3m and he's tried to leave a couple of times before but we've always convinced him to stay. I'm now receiving offers for €400k for him, what's that all about. His value is clear...

Season Review 2015/16 | S.C. Olhanense Season review

Ih97O7y.png

Board Expectations | My Expectations

Liga ZON SAGRES: Qualify for Europa League | Qualify for Europa League

Taça de Portugal: Reach the sixth round | Reach the sixth round

Taça de Liga: To be competitive | To be competitive

Supertaça Cândido de Oliveira: To be competitive | To be competitive

UEFA Europa League: To be competitive | Qualify from group stages

Again the board don't seem to be too worried about the cup competitions, including the Europa League. Although I'm not sure what 'competitive' if for them. For me I'd like to get our of the group stages, but this is going to be very difficult.

Transfers

Another busy transfer window. Some players leaving and being replaced. Again more loans coming into the club, along with some big signings. Hugo Viana could be a big player for us along with Sergio Araujo. Rabiot and Crnigoj joining us to bolster the midfield and Cléberson joins us again for his 3rd season on loan.

KZz5i3I.png

Cannot wait for pre-season to finish and the season to begin.

Thanks for reading.

Great stuff so far... however, what the hell happened to Maritimo...

At one point in the first season they led the table at pretty much the halfway stage. Unluckily wound up 4th and then this year, relegated!

I love stories like that, im assuming they sold out in the summer after being succesful? Manager/Players? (A bit like Pacos irl).

Either way, be interesting to see if they can bounce back up.

It was mad. They were so difficult to play against, then at the end of the season lost 22 players, either through free transfers as the players wouldn't agree to a new contract or sold. They replaced them with a couple of players but in December sacked their manager and then it was all downhill and they got relegated.

I'll report on them at the half-way point in the season and let you know how they get on down there.

Yeah he is the same guy that was at Newcastle. He's 32 now but was available on a free so I couldn't turn it down. I can get a good season or two from him I'm sure. He also has some good coaching attributes so may try keep him on as a coach afterwards.

These are his attributes. Although he has lost a bit of pace he will sit in nicely as an attacking central midfielder.

Sg6xc1d.png

Archived