FM14: Athletic Club - Beti Zurekin

Cedrik

I would send scouts to Central Europe :thup: Like my scouts are scouting around Europe and picking up good players.

This. And always have scouts searching for players 16 years or younger in Spain, and also scout the Basque region regularly. Board probably won't allow you to expand your scouting range beyond Central Europe, so you won't need many scouts. 5 tops should do.

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm playing on the Vita, so I can't have such an expansive setup, I'd love to be able to specifically scout the Basque region. Or at least use the search filter to specifically list Basque players.

Start of November, and while I've dropped from 1st to 3rd, by way of a single 1-0 loss to Altetico, the board have had an upturn in finances, and given me 3.9m to spend. Apparently, as he shows up on my search list, Arteta is available. Very tempted to see if I can nab him, though it'd stretch my funds, and my squad is fairly bulky as is.

Arsenal want 15-20m for Arteta, so that's out the window, I was thinking about Ruffier, but his distribution worried me. I guess it shouldn't matter since I almost always have my keepers pass to defenders.

EDIT: Ended up with Ruffier for 4.5m and Iraizoz part-ex, pretty happy with that. Probably could have got more for Iraizoz on the open market, but that just worked out proper handy.

That's what I have done, a scout in Central Europe, on watching the league, and one the cup.

10 games in, and I'm a point ahead of Real & Barca. I doubt I'll hold there for the full season though!

Picked up 3 youths and sent them to the B team, midfielder Sebas, striker Matías(PPA seems to be dropping, sigh), and a centre back named Jorge Meré, he began at 4.5 PPA, and has jumped to 5. Looks like he could make it in my team in a few years.

I got my scout who got high JPP to scout U's19 leagues and rest to Europe.

Thanks! Started the new season with 3 wins from 3 in the league, also beating Real Madrid 4-1 @ home. Lost to them in the Spanish Super Cup (played young team) and beat At. Madrid in the Euro Super Cup 3-0

Lasa - uZubpVO.png

Tbh kinda wishing i didn't sell him. BUT. His replacement has amazing potential and it was a ton load of money to reject for someone who didn't exactly set the world alight. I think I grow too fond of my players ha.

Here are my finances , € 349 million in the bank! $$$$

fyVDfiD.png

Stadium has been expended to around 66 , 000 as well so we're gonna make a fortune from ticket sales. Already made € 10 , 000 , 000 (in September) compared to € 32 , 000 , 000 million for the whole of last season. $$$

Lasa looks beast :cool:

Not surprised to see you got almost 500M in the bank :D

Just started my Bilbao save. Currently in January 2014. Doing great in La Liga, third place, behind Real and Barca, 6 points ahead of Atletico. Bought only Pedro Chirivella from Liverpool, paid 6 million for him. It's a risk but i've seen some fm players developed him into amazing DLP, hoping to do same thing. He's currently in my u19 team, tutored by Ander Herrera. Herrera and Muniain had a slow start, but recently their play has been nothing short of amazing. Ander is a beast! Ibai Gomez is terrific too, told him to learn to shoot with power and he's now a force to be reckoned with. Scored 6 at the moment, but we scored handfull of goals when opponent's keeper deflect his shots.

Imgur isn't working....

But just seen the latest Spanish team - I've 13 players in the squad. Not bad eh! Also have 14 players in the under 21 squad. Success!

We've made a remarkable start to the season. 6 wins from 6 in the league (including a 4-1 smashing of Real Madrid) and 2 from 2 in the CL. Beat Arsenal 5-0 at home!! :-)

7YyGhJf.png

cUhhyks.png

Having a laugh in the league so far. 10 wins from 10. We're destroying teams as well. No flukes. I desperately want the title this season. Last won it in 2018.

No longer playing my strongest team in the CL - keeping all my best players fresh for the league. We've such wonderful depth and the youngsters coming through are just as good as those they are replacing. They hammered Arsenal 5-0.

Our defence has hugely improved as well over the past year and a half.

That is some ridiculous football mate! Holy hell!

I dropped to 2nd, too many draws, Barca are a point ahead, but I'm well clear of 3rd.

Aduriz saved me a point in a 1-1 draw with Real, by splitting Real's backline, latching on to a lobbed through ball, and then chipping Casillias from outside the box, beyond beautiful.

Alvarez looks impressive :thup: Did he come through the academy or brought? Also impressive winning steak! only 3 goals conceded?! :eek:

Are you using default logos?

Nope, I bought him. I've bought pretty much all my top youngsters, which is a little worrying. The academy has produced some good players though.

I'm not sure if it ruins the challenge or not. Should we only be signing Basque players? Or are we exploiting being able to sign under 16 Spanish players too much?

May be something to think about. Signing JUST Basque players. Or only using players from the academy.

Yep default logos. Cba waiting to download all the logos. I've only got the Spanish leagues loaded as well so doesn't bother me!

We're 3 wins away from breaking Barcelona's record of 18 games won in a row in Liga BBVA. We have Betis away, Las Palmas and Sevilla at home.

Here are my 3 best performing players so far, no surprising that they're all attackers:

67z6WYv.png

QAGZF4B.png

8kUxJyx.png

Nope, I bought him. I've bought pretty much all my top youngsters, which is a little worrying. The academy has produced some good players though.

I'm not sure if it ruins the challenge or not. Should we only be signing Basque players? Or are we exploiting being able to sign under 16 Spanish players too much?

May be something to think about. Signing JUST Basque players. Or only using players from the academy.

Yep default logos. Cba waiting to download all the logos. I've only got the Spanish leagues loaded as well so doesn't bother me!

for a few years now I have been sticking to basque only (players that start the game or enter it as basque) when playing Athletic, since I feel its more in line with the clubs philosophy irl and it also make the game a bit more challenging

Come March, neck and neck with Barca for the title, Iraola drops for 2-3 months with an injury. Bah.

EDIT: Ruffier has surprised me, seems to have a notable growth in stats despite being 27, especially his shot stopping looks better than ever.

That's looking like my only real option, he was covering for Herrera at AMC, who's just recovered from a minor injury. Next game is Barca(away), so I may just drop that spot to CM, and play Benat there, with Iturraspe and Rico at DMC.

Barca beat me black and blue. 5-0, legit angry at how badly we played. Still they lost a game in hand to Sociedad later in the week. 4 games to go, 4 points clear of Real, Barca one more point behind.

Didn't expect such high stakes in the first season....

Ahhhhh! Won the league with a pair of games to go, Barca well and truly choked, Munian asked for a new contract 2 games before, I said end of the season, he requested a transfer. I rejected that, and instantly offered him a contract. Paid more than I wanted, 45kpw, but he instantly repaid it by scoring a brace in the next game.

Can give the less used players a pair of runouts now, which is nice.

It was ridiculous, only lost four games in the end. Thought it would take years to nab a title. No proper superstar either, my leading goal scorer had 11, but everyone chipped in all over the pitch.

Got Monreal from Arsenal, was hoping for Inigo Martinez or Azpilicueta too, but I had a budget of 13m, nowhere near enough to land one of them.

Monreal should drastically improve your LB position. How many goals did you concede in the league?

Beat Sao Paulo in the CWC 4-1, very handy. 1 point ahead of Madrid in the league but I've 2 games in hand. I've played 15, won 14 and drawn 1. 55 goals scored and 5 conceded. Have Benfica in CL knock-out stage.

jWRBBGq.png

Make that 67-5. Román with 4 goals from the left wing! Slipped up against Barce away with a 0-0. Two points behind Madrid but I still have two games in hand. Also rejected a €38.5 million bid from Madrid for Rodrigo José. Was tempted to sell but he's only 20 and has massive potential. Wouldn't sell to one of my main rivals too.

Trying to sell Muniain. No one interested as of yet. Will probably have to sell him on the cheap

Sold a few players, most notably Ibai Gomes for 10m, and Undabarrena for 4.8m, managed to round up Inigo Martinez's release clause. Picked up a few prospects too, a pair from Osasuna that apparently have the potential to be World Class. One of them is a MR that's going to be 2nd choice to Susaeta already, one is an AMC that I'm hoping to use as a striker.

EDIT: Damnit! Ruben Pardo is transfer listed by request. 12.75m, I can shift most of my wage budget, and afford him, but they'll only accept 25.5m from me.........

Pardo calmed down in the end, in between the board had given me 32m to spend, but I still wasn't spending 26m on someone listed for 12.75m.

Neck and neck with Barca all season long, one point clear in Dec, but started to have bad results, a 0-1 away loss to a team lower than me in a first leg cup game, and mashed in Europe by Porto, now dropped to Europa. Next team up? Barca come to town.

2014-04-20-120405_zpsaf68266c.jpg

Boom. My boys got angry.

185px-Club_Athletic_Bilbao_logo.svg.png

January 2014 – Athletic Bilbao

La Liga

xENcPoo.png

We started in 2014 with away to our big rival, Real Sociedad. I was livid with the team. We went 2-0 up at half time and we let them back in the game :(

We welcome Almeria at home, We went 1-0 up on 7th minutes thanks to Balenziaga. Almeria drew level before half time to give them a chance. Thankfully we scored 3 goals in 11 minutes period to go 4-1 up before they grabbed a late goal on 86th minutes.

We also faced Valladolid at home, We took the lead via Herrera's goal on 17th minutes, disappointed we didn't double our lead in the first half. They pulled a goal back on 71 minutes for nervy finish to 2nd half. Muniaian was fouled on 78th minutes which Iturraspe converted to give us 3 points in the end.

Our last game of the month was against our rival, Osasuna. We went behind very early in the game as they converted Mikel's Jose mistake to give them the lead. We struggled to break them down til 2 quick goals from Laporte and Herrera to give us priceless 3 points.

Cope Del Rey

qOfKK6K.png

We took the lead thanks to Herrera but afterwards we was struggling to score goals and they was on top of us and lucky to come out with a draw.

2nd leg - I switched to control mentality, and rest was history.

We was drawn against Granada, We actually went 3-0 down which was appalling standard from the team. I told the team that I expect better things in 2nd half and our top 3 players grabbed a draw for us to give us a chance for our 2nd leg at home.

2nd leg - Another tough game against them, was a 0-0 at half time, soon after we went behind (again!) 4 minutes later Guillermo equalized for us and they kept battering us until Susaeta grabbed the winner on 84th minutes to send us through to Semi Final :D

pWQZP2F.png

We are still 2 points behind Real Madrid. Would be fool to rule Barcelona out of this.

Landed Pardo in late January. Lots of mids now, but a few are being chased, so a sale could come up.

Probably going to have to change my formation too, from my 4-2(DM)-2(WM)-1-1 to the more standard 4-1-2-2-1, might not be the best idea though it will have more players in their natural spots.

February 2014 – Athletic Bilbao

La Liga

7NMROyB.png

We started the biggest game of our season against Real Madrid, We drew first blood on 16th minutes with Herrera's opening goal. Real Madrid couldn't stop him dictating the play. The ref gave them a penalty after our left back fouled Isco ffs. Which he converted to level the score. Susaeta scored a cracker strike outside of the box to give us the lead. We went in half time, 2-1 up. I noticed there was a huge gap between Real Madrid 2 DMC and AMR AMC AML so I instructed the team to exploit the middle and which seems to work as Susaeta bagged a brace on 73rd minutes to put the game to bed.

We traveled to face Celta Virgo, We dominated the game and won it easy in the end.

We welcome Espanyol at home, I decided to give Sebas his first start in the league due to Herrera's injury ( Was out for 3 days). But this was Iba Gomez's day with 2 fantastic free kick (first goal was 24 meters and 2nd from 25 meters) to give us 3 points.

We faced Real Betis and it was a tough game for us. Guillermo scored on 8th minutes to give us the lead. they pulled one back on 20th minutes and we could have went couple goals up but Guillermo was tad wasteful. After the break, we won a free kick on 52nd minutes and Iba stepped up and scores from free kick to give us another win :D

We play Granada, Surprisingly we went behind after they scored from a corner on 19th minutes. Iba pulled one back for us on 27th minutes with a strike inside the box. Susaeta put us ahead with lovely shot from the outside of the box. Sebas finally bagged his first goal for us as Herrera's out for 3 weeks which he picked up against Real Betis :( Which we went 3-1 up at half time. Granada was all over us like mad, and thankfully we managed to give away a goal.

Cope Del Rey

yl9IL3C.png

We faced Osasuna in the Semi Final. First leg, we absolutely battered them and yet we only won 2-1. We took the lead thanks to Rico's fantastic strike. They capitalized on our mistake to level the score on 79th minutes. Iba Gomez decided to score the winner for us, by beating 3 players to score inside the box with 4 minutes left to give us the advantage for second leg.

2nd leg - A game where we should have won, we had a goal ruled out. I decided to give Sebas his first start as Herrera was knackered. He performed well for us.

We will play Barcelona in the final after they beat Real Madrid 5-1 on agg.

secXWTj.png

Thanks to Getafe beating Real Madrid 1-0 before we played Real Betis to enable us to increase the gap to 4.

March 2014 – Athletic Bilbao

La Liga

QaLslOy.png

We face Valencia and I was expecting a tough game but we won the game with ease.

We played another away game against Villarreal, we was so unlucky to lose :( They took their chances and we never did.

We welcome Getafe at home, We went ahead inside 1 minute thanks to Laporte's header inside the box. Rico blantly gave away the ball to their striker and converted it into the net to go 1-1. To my amusement, Rico some reason decided to give away another ball which their striker converted again to give them the lead. Told the team at half time to step up in gear and perform in 2nd half and thanks to Susaeta and Munian grabbing a goal apiece to give us 3 points. I let it rip at full time and blamed it solely on Rico the waste of space.

We went to Eche and not surprisingly we went behind after sloppy defending. Guillermo equalized 5 mins later after their goal. Went in half time saying we was unlucky not to be winning and team got in confidence mood and demolish 2nd half.

We welcome 13th place Atletico at San Mames, They came here for a draw, and constantly fouling my players to stop us playing the way we usually play. We was dreadful in front of the goal and had 6 CCC to our name.

TmKRu7S.png

The gap is 3 points, Would have like it to be more but we just got to keep winning and hope Real Madrid slips up.

Youth intakes

Q4AaEYb.png

Disappointing intakes but will only be signing the top 2.

p4IX9Id.png

aJXsn22.png

April 2014 – Athletic Bilbao

La Liga

Qr5BL9O.png

First game of the month was away to Levante, We raced to 2-0 up thanks to Susaeta double brace. All of sudden we ended up giving away 2 goals within succession around 60th minutes which I was fuming. But thanks god for Susaeta bagged his hat trick on 80th minutes to give us the win which we needed.

We welcome Malaga to San Mamés, before the game, Bernd Schuster was dissing my team and I told him that we will batter his team and yet we did. We took the lead on 20th minutes through Guillermo, 50 seconds later, they equalized out of nowhere. Then afterwards we dominated the game and won 4-1 with ease.

We travel to Nou Camp for our match against Barcelona and Messi ripped us apart and Mikel Jose was shocking and let him ran past him so many times. They was given conversational penalty on 12th minutes. We just didn't turn up and Messi ran the show with a hat trick and a goal from Sanchez.

Sevilla visit San Mamés for our match, It was walk in the park for us and Laporte's double from corner. Sevilla couldn't break us down til 90th minutes to pull one back for them.

Cope Del Rey

qVlaD7j.png

Gutted to lose in the final, Barcelona scored 2 goals on 7th and 11th minutes which was a massive step upwards for us, But I'm glad we got to the final in the end.

tWsgJiz.png

I think the title is in our hands and it's up to us to see it out. Still 3 points ahead.

Archived