FM14: Athletic Club - Beti Zurekin

Cedrik

185px-Club_Athletic_Bilbao_logo.svg.png

May 2014 – Athletic Bilbao

La Liga

egscyD9.png

We faced Rayo, away. Razvan Rat headed in Susaeta's cross into his own net on 30th minutes. 9 minutes later we was awarded a penalty after Guillermo was fouled. Iraola converted to make it 2-0. Guillermo's strike on 43rd minute to go 3-0 up against Rayo. Guillermo bagged another goal of the game in 61st minute which practically was game over. Iturraspe decided to add his name to the score sheet on 89th minute to give us 5-0 and 3 points :D

Real Madrid watch: Real Madrid 2-1 Valencia

We welcome our biggest rival, Real Sociedad, hoping our last match against them was no repeat. Herrera was diciting the show with a cracker outside the box to give us the lead. 26th minute, Laporte headed in Herrera corner kick to put us up 2 goals. Thankfully it was never a repeat like last time.

Real Madrid watch: Celta 1-2 Real Madrid

Biggest game of our season. away to Almeria, knowing we needs a draw to win the La Liga, I decided to give Larrayoz his 2nd start of the season. He put us ahead on 26th minute. lack of concentration from Iraola gave Vidal the slip to level the score. We dominated all over since they scored. And the team was really wasteful and few shots hit the post and went out. We had a penalty on 90+2 minutes which San José just blasted it at the keeper to leave us with a point.

Real Madrid watch: Real Madrid 8-0 Espanyol.

w95pLzQ.png

CHAMPIONS :D Would have like to won the league few games beforehand.

Player stats

YoaaJcH.png

y2WgqKJ.png

Annoyed that Del Bosque overlooked Susaeta and Herrera for the World Cup squad. Ridiculous.

Next season

Champions League next season :cool: No doubt it will give us massive boost to our club balance.

Will try offload deadwood players in the summer.

Tighten up our defence.

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have decided to go for a Athletic save, and im going to try and recreate the Marcelo Biesla formation and style of play the 3-1-1-3 formation, wish me luck

I think that is a bad idea. Unless you can get Inigo, I think you shouldn't try 3 in the back. You only got 2 good CBs that can play that role (I don't rate Moran and Ekiza) and it is impossible to get another unless Inigo wants to leave Sociedad.

I think that is a bad idea. Unless you can get Inigo, I think you shouldn't try 3 in the back. You only got 2 good CBs that can play that role (I don't rate Moran and Ekiza) and it is impossible to get another unless Inigo wants to leave Sociedad.

Its always worth a shot and gunna try, its a challenge and ive got bored recently on my save, so gunna give it a shot, been trying to study the work of El Loco(Bielsa nickname) and see how it can apply. There are a couple of decent defenders on first look, more than 2, its just fitting 3 cm into 1 position which will be hard haha

I have decided to go for a Athletic save, and im going to try and recreate the Marcelo Biesla formation and style of play the 3-1-1-3 formation, wish me luck

Good luck with that challenge mate.

Congrats on the league John1.

My 2nd season ends with much more success, but also a healthy dose of humbling.

I retain my league title, leading the pack most of the season, only dropping off once for a few weeks. Notable highlight being a 6-1 home mauling of Barcelona.

I win my first Copa del Rey, taking out Real in the semis, and a 3-1 smashing of Atletico in the final, my first time beating them. They have been my bogey team.

In the CL, is where I received my humbling. Having what I considered a relatively straightforward group, I over rotated for CL games, playing a significantly weakened squad at times. 5 points and dropped into the Europa league. Fully deserved, but lucky the board had no CL aspirations beyond the group stage.

In the Europa, I redeem myself by winning it. Notable wins include the 2nd knockout stage win over holders Tottenham, and a 3-1 victory in the final over a severely strong Monaco.

Now I have two league games to go, glorified friendlies, and a group of players looking for contract upgrades. Oscar De Marcos(wants 60kpw Key Player), Laporte(wants 45kpw, Key Player/happy to pay), Itturaspe(wants 63kpw Key Player) and Susatea(wants 83kpw/110kpw after one NT game, Key Player. Like **** he's getting that).

The summer before my third season has gone quite well, sent a lot of prospects out on loan, ones who should be breaking into my first team, but I hadn't the space for. One squad CB didn't want to sign a contract, in his last year, though. Luckily a bid came in for him before I listed him, so I got good money. This also gave me the perfect opportunity to promote Jorge Meré, so hopefully he'll kick on well.

Tied up all the necessary contracts, paying some more than I fancied, but they were irreplaceable. Picked up quality youth for most positions, though I'd have liked to land a first team striker. Sadly that wasn't possible, but I do have a very strong future set, but I'll need to find fullback prospects in the next year or two. Either that, or I'll be shifting to some kind of 3-back setup(but I hate to mess with success), as I have more quality prospects there.

The summer before my third season has gone quite well, sent a lot of prospects out on loan, ones who should be breaking into my first team, but I hadn't the space for. One squad CB didn't want to sign a contract, in his last year, though. Luckily a bid came in for him before I listed him, so I got good money. This also gave me the perfect opportunity to promote Jorge Meré, so hopefully he'll kick on well.

Tied up all the necessary contracts, paying some more than I fancied, but they were irreplaceable. Picked up quality youth for most positions, though I'd have liked to land a first team striker. Sadly that wasn't possible, but I do have a very strong future set, but I'll need to find fullback prospects in the next year or two. Either that, or I'll be shifting to some kind of 3-back setup(but I hate to mess with success), as I have more quality prospects there.

Take a look at some 16 year old FBs in the Adelante. You can snap them up for cheap.

So season 9 is finished. Won 5 out of 6 trophies.

League:

Yt8lRxl.png

CL:

aUA06kB.png

Squad stats:

ai8OGDK.png

X57fsDd.png

First league title since 2018, and our second CL win in a row and our 3rd in 4 years. Also won the Spanish Cup for the 4th time in a row.

Unreal season. A lot of contracts to renew so the wage expenditure is going to go through the roof again. But thankfully we've a huge bank balance to cope with this.

Congrats on winning the CL :cool: What's your plans for next season?

Not sure. No real aims left to be honest. Playing now but no real motivation. May take a break and start a new save and then come back but I'll see. Might just keep pressing the continue button and see where it takes me.

So season 9 is finished. Won 5 out of 6 trophies.

League:

Yt8lRxl.png

CL:

aUA06kB.png

Squad stats:

ai8OGDK.png

X57fsDd.png

First league title since 2018, and our second CL win in a row and our 3rd in 4 years. Also won the Spanish Cup for the 4th time in a row.

Unreal season. A lot of contracts to renew so the wage expenditure is going to go through the roof again. But thankfully we've a huge bank balance to cope with this.

That's some insane results there, what tactic are you playing with?

My save somehow got overwritten, not sure how that happened, sucks, I have another but I'm sure it's a long way back and I've no heart to play through the same season again.

Gutted :( Hopefully you will manage them again.

Pre season 2014 – Athletic Bilbao

jBdOSHS.png

Napoli was the first team to face as our pre season for this season. A game where we should have won. Munoz has a goal disallowed. Rico and Moran both gave away for 2 of their goals ffs.

Decided to go on tour to China to boost income.

We start the season with home to Villarreal.

We playing Barcelona in Supercopa, first leg away.

And our new captain for this season is Ander Herrera. Decided to go for him as he's young and regular starter. Gurpegi lost the plot when he lost the captaincy.

Transfers

51PEx9S.png

Released a lot of players in the summer as they ain't good enough to play for Bilbao. I decided to invest in the youth in the summer as we got vast of experience players in the team. Also promoted handful of players from Bilbao Athletic. Iker's move to Spurs is delayed til I find some replacements for him.

aDyfhuw.png

Promising defender, definitely overpaid for him. Going to work on his physical.

tEDYvUf.png

Another promising attacking midfielder, scout rated him very highly. Will be keeping eye on his development over the season. Thinking about retraining him to winger or ST? Any suggestions?

bN1KubO.png

Scout found him while on scouting mission. Promising keeper and got Iraizoz tutoring him, will be no 1 keeper when Iraizoz retires.

3aPySmC.png

Spent 6.5m on him. Scouts were crazy about him, already played 2 games in the pre season, 2 goals, 2 assists and 1 MOTM. Being tutored by Ander Iturraspe.

I kept an eye on Spain during the World Cup here is how they got on (!)

O0FI2n4.png

Yes that's right, Jamaica finished 2nd! Spain needed to beat them in last game and only manage to draw 1-1.

Spain sacked Del Bosque and appointed Guardiola.

August 2014 – Athletic Bilbao

La Liga

OY5neOF.png

What an brilliant start to our season, 6-1 win over Villarreal. I gave Munoz his first start at AMC and didn't last that long and got injured by their player on 9th minute :( Was replaced by Ruiz. Guillermo got us off to the flyer with a goal inside 3 minutes. Ibai Gomez doubled our lead after Herrera was fouled in the box. San José headed in Susaeta's corner to give us 3 goals lead. It was Susaeta's turn to fire into the net with a beauty finish. lack of concentration from San José let Diouf fire one in for Villarreal. Before half time, Rico scored our 5th goal, which the game was practically dead. There was only one goal in the second half, Ruiz set up Ibai Gomez with a pass outside of the box, Gomez beat 3 Villarreal players to score a great goal for us.

We face Malaga away, no surprise to see Bernd Schuster was dissing my team again, ******. It was very even match for both teams and we chances to score in first half. Captain Herrera bagged us 3 points with a fantastic solo goal. Laporte cut out Malaga pass and passed it to Guillermo and through pass it to Herrera and beat his man to run into the box and blasted it into top corner. Malaga kept coming at us and thankfully we managed to hold on in the end. **** Schuster.

We welcome our big rival, Osasuna at home with a sell out stadium. Gave Peréz his first start on the left winger. and performed well for us, We had a throw in on 7th minutes and Balenziaga threw it to Iturraspe who crossed it into the box and Herrera chested it down to Susaeta to strike it into the net. We was poor in front of the game and I'm struggling to work out why we not converting those chances. They struggled to break down our defence and we grind out 1-0 win.

Supercopa

BRQE0aQ.png

No surprise there, Barcelona was incredible lucky to beat us.

AgU6p5L.png

UEFA Champions League

TyBn1GF.png

Pretty happy with the group we are in. I think 2nd is definitely doable. Home games will be crucial for us. We got Bayern away first game.

zczkfCr.png

At least I'm not in Celtic group! :D

September 2014 – Athletic Club

La Liga

shiOhNJ.png

We started the month with away to Real Madrid, I'm massively disappointed, we had 2 great chances to snatch a draw/win but we never took them. Moran gave away the ball to Benzema and put the game to bed.

We welcome bottom place, Almeria. I gave Jorge Meré his debut and replaced Laporte. And what an great debut for him, a hat trick! 2 goals from corner and a penalty. Mere put us ahead after heading in Hererra's corner kick. San José lost his focus which gifted them the goal. Went in 1-1 at half time, my assistant manager told the team to keep going and they was all motivated. Meré scored his second goal which he headed in Susaeta's corner kick in. We was awarded the penalty after Guillermo was fouled, Meré stepped up and converted it to give himself a memorable debut for us :D

We travel to Real Betis, We took the lead thanks to Ibai Gomez's strike on 13th minutes. 5 minutes late, former Athletic player, Sola, pulled one back for them which was the only shot that had. We once again still not converting chances :( We went to half time 1-1, which we should have been out of sight. Meré got his 4th goal in 2 games with a header from the corner. Susaeta killed the game off with a neat finish on 82nd minutes.

We face Granada at home, I decided to drop the AMC to MC to 3 flat Midfielders. We had injuries problems on the wingers, Ibai was out for 2 weeks, Susaeta was out for 5 days. Prez and Torquero stepped up. Torquero got on the score sheet after a good play between the midfielders. Captain Hererra went off injured on 10th minutes, replaced him with Munoz. Munoz set up Torquero for his 2nd goal with a beauty chip over the defence which he ran onto the ball and blasted it into bottom corner. Once again, Munoz created another chance for Guillermo who finally ended his not scoring streak. We was awarded a free kick which Benat passed it to Munoz into the box and he played it across the box which Guillermo poked it home to go 3-0 up. 2nd half It was all Granada and we held on in the end.

kVQFJNn.png

2 points clear! Thanks to Getafe beating Real Madrid, 3-0 before we played Real Betis.

UEFA Champions League

k4jq9kx.png

Gutted, We was far the better side until Mikel José stupidly enough to do 2 footed tackle on Lewandowski on 41th minutes which cost us the game. We had chances and chances to beat Neuer to score. We went into half time 0-0. It was heading for a draw until last 20 minutes Bayern stepped up a gear and scored 2 goals :(

Staff news

I decided to sack my assistant manager, Jon Aspiazu and replaced him with Anselmo Sbraglia.

October 2014 – Athletic Club

La Liga

wn82kYY.png

We travel to Nou Camp to play Martino's side. Our sloppy defending really cost us and we let Werner score 3 against us, even we had chances to score. But meh.

Another away game on the trot, We play Valladolid. Was a tough match and we probably got big decision went in our way. Hererra, put the game to bed on 87th minute with well timed finish.

We welcome Elche at home. Guillermo scored for us on 9th minute with assist from Ibai Gomez. But Guillermo was guilty of wasting chances again which is disappointing. Elche kept pushing and pushing for an equaliser, but thankfully they lost focus and Susaeta killed the game off with a decent finish on 84th minutes.

We face high flying Getafe, It was a tough game for both of us. They deployed 4-2-3-1 with 2 defensive midfielder guarding the back 4. Both sides has chances to score but both was awful. We fell behind on 71st minutes as Pedro Leon capitalized on San José mistake to put them ahead. The team turned the game around with an 86th minute strike by Susaeta, as they failed to clear Benat's half volley shot which bounced off few of their players and Susaeta was at the far post and slammed home to level the score. Official displayed 2 minutes added. As the game time was " 90+1.20' Rico cut out their pass in the middle of the pitch, He found Hererra in open space, did one two one with Guillermo. Rico ran into the open space inside the box and made the run which Hererra slipped through and Rico put it in the back of the net to give us 3 points! with 40 seconds to go!

hOpfNsz.png

UEFA Champions League

2ZNguWE.png

We had 2 home games in succession which I was pleased about.

We started with Shakhtar, We both had chances to score. Thankfully Torquero put us ahead on 5th minutes. Rico doubled our lead with a good strike inside the box. Shakhtar was banging around our defence and couldn't break us down. They managed to pull one back on 86th minutes from corner.

I decided to rest few players against AIK, Massively disappointing that it took us around 70th mark to score, despite AIK was playing 5-3-2 formation and was fouling our players.

Jesus, Meré got off to a flying start to his first team career. Impressive kid.

He was my first buy, and was about to break into the team when everything went pear shaped.

Tempted to drop Mikel ' gives the ball away regularly' San Jose for few games and see how Meré do.

Tempted to drop Mikel ' gives the ball away regularly' San Jose for few games and see how Meré do.

Looks like it's certainly be worth having him in a more regular rotation/bench role, and get him plenty of minutes.

I was fairly lucky, even in season 2, San Jose was 3rd in the pecking order as I'd splurged on Inigo Martinez. Third season it was going to be Laporte/Martinez first choice in big games, and Mere/San Jose in cup games/necessary rotation.

He's very good, I would suggest play him either MC or AMC. I played him as AMC as AP - Attack and last season he got 29 assists and 12 goals.

This season so far, he played 12 games, 9 assists, 2 goals. due to him picked up few injures.

I played him as an AP in the AMC position for a while, and he was great there, later on with a formation shift to a style without an AMC, I played him as an AP from the MC position, and he was equally good. At times he covered well enough as a BTB, but had less influence.

November 2014 – Athletic Club

La Liga

ZzX0p6w.png

We faced promoted, Girona at San Mamés. We went ahead thanks to Guillermo finish on 13th minutes, Bruno Herrero diverted Hererra's cross into his own net to double our lead. Etxeita headed in Ibai Gomez's corner to go 3-0 up against them. Went in half time 3-0. Susaeta's beauty finish put us out of sight with a fouth goal of the night. We struggled to convert chances again which is getting frustrating.

Another home game in the row, We welcome Villa-Boas's Atletico Madrid and they was quite difficult to break down, until 27th minutes where Filipe score an own goal for us by deflecting Hererra's shot over his keeper. Athletico pegged us back on 54th minutes with a finish from Adrian. Susaeta put us ahead on 75th minutes after brilliant through ball from Hererra and put it in the net. Laporte killed the game off on 89th minutes, We was awarded a corner kick which Herrera crossed it to far post which San José headed it across the goal, Laporte was at the near post and headed it in to finish the game 3-1 to us. I got to admit we were lucky to come out with 3 points, they was far the better side out of both teams.

Seems Valencia put Sofiane Feghouli on steroids against us, and our defence was pathetic and he scored hat trick against us.

Another away game for us and it was at promoted Las Palmas. We sure did get complement against them and we fell behind on 12th minute after well timed finish by Delev. We was utterly pathetic in front of the goal as usual, thankfully Herrera took his chance on 29th minute to level the score. Not soon after we took the lead after a good goal by Susaeta on his 250th appearance for us. Told the team at half time to warn against complacence, which the team got motivated for 2nd half and we scored 2 goals in 2 minutes after half time to go 4-1 up. Las Palmas took a consolation goal on 79th minutes to end the game 4-2 to us. We had 10 clear cut chances which I'm not happy about us not taking chances.

xXG4gEV.png

UEFA Champions League

LuySGaH.png

We travel to Sweden for our match against AIK, and I have rest majority of first team players. Susaeta gave us the lead on 2nd minutes and should have been out of sight but Guillermo was wasteful again. Was nice to see Seguin scoring on his Champions League debut for us.

We welcome the big boys, Bayern at San Mamés. We needed a point against them to qualified to next round. We went behind on 37th minutes after Robben headed in Gotzé's corner from near post. Our defence was ridiculously pathetic for Bayern's 2nd goal. Robben ran toward the touchline and passed it to Gotzé in the box and 3 of our players was crowding him and somehow it got through their legs and went in. Which I was fuming. We was given a lifeline on 73rd minutes after Laporte flicked on Gomez's cross which San José headed in at the far post to give us a chance! Amazingly we came back from 2-0 down to 2-2 after Susaeta ran down the right hand side and passed it through to Guillermo which he ran toward the 6 yards box and passed it to Rico, and blazed it into middle of the goal. YAS.

After the game we found out we have qualified with a game to spare. Which I will be resting my players for our last match against Shakhtar.

HWp9VRQ.png

December 2014 – Athletic Club

La Liga

qICi23Q.png

Only 2 games in La Liga before our Christmas break.

Decided to drop 4-2-3-1 formation to 4-5-1.

We face Zaragoza at home, we played them off the park, Susaeta ran the show from AMR position and got MOTM for us, pleased to see Guillermo bagged 2 goals for us. Their goal came from mistake from Balenziaga.

Against Sevilla, it was a poor match and lucky for us, Guillermo took advantage of Mikel Alonso's mistake to give us 3 points.

Ty1LcAc.png

Copa del Rey

sctgzyv.png

Both games, I rested majority of the team and played a young XI and we did well in the first leg and won the game thanks to late winner.

2nd leg, I gave Casado his 2nd start against Murica, We had few chances to score in the first half, at half time, I switched Casado from TM - Attack to TM - Support and wow, was totally different player and won a penalty for us which Laporte converted. He bagged himself a goal with a powerful header inside the box and was awarded MOTM.

qkfujHs.png

UEFA Champions League

xozCVZZ.png

Last games of the group. I decided to play our best XI against them, We went ahead thanks to Ibai Gomez's 25 yards free kick. 8 minutes later they level the score after keeper parried one of their shot into Douglas Cost's path, we went behind 6 minutes later after Luiz Adriano scored from the corner. San Jose managed to pull one back for us 2 minutes before half time to level the score going into half time. We went ahead after Guillermo won a penalty for us on 74th minutues which San Jose converted. 8 minutes from time Luiz Adriano grabbed a point after heading another goal from corner.

Finished runners up in our group with 11 points, 5 points behind Bayern.

dl1cDaY.png

Tough draw :(

Beginning to dismantle my squad. Loads of bids coming in and I'm getting offers I cannot refuse. Player joining Liverpool for €32.5 million. Exciting times ahead, have to start playing younger players again. Talent coming through isn't as great as many aren't getting enough first team football. Results are expected now so this transition period will be interesting! Heavily lacking attacking power - 3 players sold and I'm still trying to get rid of Muniain.

To solve my attacking problems, I'm going to retain a couple of players to play on the wing. That should sort the problem. Just need to find a back up striker as I've only got 2 at the moment.

Oh, some of the players I've sold aren't appearing in the transfer out page. It says my transfers out total €109 million but its more than that and a few players are missing. Weird. Going to save + exit and restart it again.

Ah, problem solved. They were in my Bilbao Athletic team when I sold them so they appear in their transfer history and not mine. So I've managed to bring in €134 million this summer. Balance is now over €500 million :-)

Archived