FM14: Glasgow Rangers - The teddy bears are on the march!

fuzzrab

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just started a game with Rangers, will post updates etc in here once I'm through a notable period of time. Looking, as like everyone else in here, to develop a strong Scottish core to the squad with no major earners. Will be doing what I can to develop at the moment but will be needing to ship a few players off at first to free up wages to bring in better coaches.

• 2 weeks later...
I use it on old guys all the time because I don't care about making money off them. I just brought in some of the older Scotland internationals as backup/rotation and included 50% of next sale. Basically hallfed their wages.

How does this work then ?? I see you can offer that option when buying a player from a club,, but it is the players club that gets the % of the next sale or profit,,, how does this help get a players contract on lower wages as his agent will still try to get him the best deal when you come to negotiate ,,,??

When does the money start to become available or is it just my Board? I am just about to go into SPL season two and was hoping after having had a season in top lg and being careful with the cash I might be handed some cash to be able to make a challenge this time.

I get transfer budget of £162K with wages at 190k a week !! I'm already slightly over from my squad as is. Just keeping Wallace, Temps, Law and one other striker I brought in is taking up most of the dosh, and they are only on 14k a week,,, the rest are all on relatively low wage under 10k and most of the squad is made up of kids. Would have thought I would be getting a wee bit more in the SPL ,, I haven't been able to actually buy a player yet lol.

Is this normal and when (if at all) does it pick up

Wonder if I am perhaps at fault for getting such low transfer money to spend.

When I started and was negotiating the aims etc I stated that I would like to develop youth and bring it through into the first team. I know the last time I asked for money from the board they came back with that being their excuse for not giving me anything ;( ,, I seem to be making a profit each year so hope that don't mean I am stuck now forever more being given peanuts,,, will take a lot longer to catch celtic with nothing more than youth and free transfers to play with,, as well as not being able to extend the contracts of most of my senior or better players.

Why do I always make things harder for myself lol

How has Ryan Hardie fared up in peoples saves? I was paying too much to Walsh in first season but seen Hardie's finishing in preseason so stuck with him in second season and he is an absolute goal machine, 20 league goals in 14apps

ended up winning the league i was on about in my last post, i have won a league since then and i got to the champions league last 16 where i beat man utd 3-1 at ibrox and got beaten 5-1 away, in the groups i had geona, ajax and bayern ( again ) scotland got to the world cup quarter finals with 5 of my players :)

Ryan Hardie has came along not bad on mine.....im only in my 2nd season but he's had a good loan spell at Killie......probably give him a few games now i'm back in the SPFL.

I think he can become a top class striker with a bit of luck.

Yeah he was mint for me in championship, but ive got this regen whos looks world class so ive given him the n9 shirt in the premiership, he's doing well, im trying to build a team full of young scots..looking promising aswell. top of prem in first season didnt expect to do well at all with the youth ive got cause celtic and oil rich killie (been bought by some rich person) were dominating the league. I managed to take advantage off killies takeover, got rory mckenzie for 58k and mark o'hara for about 1m with add ons. also got guald for 2m with add ons adding up to 7m... looking bright at rangers haha

Quick question lads I'm playing a gers save before I go away working abroad for the rest of the year.

In season one I keep accepting offers for my players but when it comes to FINALIZE the deal it is then confirmed on my behalf by the "receivers" due to poor financial position of the club.

I'm fully patched but playing default database.

£10Mbank balance only in October first season not a penny spent yet and a few got rid of.

Just wondering if this stays ? Because although they don't accept offers on my behalf I'm wondering without a takeover if it will get to that stage or I might forget and accept a decent offer for a player to then look at potential replacements , find out there are none go to reject offer and find out it was confirmed and done 3 days before!

Thanks lads hope saves are going well had a GREAT save on 13 loved it out tika taka'd barca and won everything every gers was a brilliant save

• 2 weeks later...

Just starting my first season back in the SPFL......playing a 4321 Christmas tree.

GK : Bell/Joronen (Young Finnish Keeper)

DR : Adam Smith/Flanagan

DC : Danny Wilson/Gaspa

DC : Kyle Bartley/Bagnack

DL : Wallace/Andy Robertson

CM : Scott Allan/Nicky Law

CM : Fyvie/Conor Coady

CM : McLeod/Lundstram (Youth from Everton)

AMC : Lazaro (Young Austrian)/Lingaard

AMC : McKay/Nicky Law

SC : Will Keane/Adam Campbell

Still got the youngsters Hardie, Walsh and Hamill coming on not bad and a few youth intakes who look like they can be decent. Got plenty of money to improve with signings or try and stick with this young team and see how it goes.....what do yous think?

Half way through my second season now after giving up on my other save where the Board never gave anything thanks to me setting the club vision on youth. Be wary if you decide to go with a youth vision as they never let me change it and always used it is their excuse for NEVER upping the wage bill or giving transfer funds (wont be doing that again lol)

Went with pretty much what I had in the first season and won it at a canter. Now in the championship season I have let a few players go to free up wages for scout and coaches and a few free transfers/loans. McCulloch agreed to terminate his millionaire wages contract,, also got rid of Cribari, Simmonsen, Stevie Smith, Hutton, Daly and Mohsni

My youngsters have been really good for me so far, and after using them more in my first season really felt they deserved a run in the championship with a few experienced heads to balance it.

Brought in Phil Bardsley for free and on next to nothing wages 2/3 yr deal at 1.8k a week who can replace foster on his 7.5k when that expires next season,, also Kevin McHattie fm Hearts for 80k to back up wallace,, Jordan Turnbull on 2yr loan from southhampton (contract runs out during loan spell too),, Shaquile Coulthirst on a free, and some really promising 18yr old Norwegian regen for 22k. I also got in Jermaine Beckford on a no wage loan deal to help mentor my young strikers,, but he hasn't worked out well so as I got Peter Crouch in as a player/U19 asst mgr I have sent him packing in the January window. First game played and Crouchy scores with a header too,,no robot celebration tho lol :(

My Championship season has been really enjoyable I have to say,, with added realism of having Hearts in there with us :) ,, The Kids doing really well,, having just won the Ramsdens Cup, in the Lg cup Semi and sitting top of League. I have onlu lost 3 games and 2 draws but Falkirk have been the big surprise,, having only lost one more (to us as well lol) ,,so Gers on 48 points Falkirk on 46 with next closest way down at 32 !

I think Templeton is off tho as I can never agree to what he is after (something crazy like 20k a week) and an English club are now approaching him,, still i signed a wee young Dutch winger H'Maidat for free in first season as a 17 yr old and he is coming on nicely. Looking around now still in Jan window to see if any bargains around :)

End of season 2 and championship won,, although Falkirk kept up the chase to the 2nd last game where I drew with them to secure title. Brought in Gael Kakuta during the jan window and have Luis Ibanez and Cedric badjeck arriving in the summer.

Crouch tho was a star in the championship 13 goals in 16 games with 4 POM's ,,no bad at 34 ;)

• 2 weeks later...

After many months of not playing I decided to get a few hours in. Continued my Rangers save, because I can't be bothered starting another one. Have all these ideas of what I want to play as and do, but little time and would miss what I've built in this save.

Anyway, we won the SPL again, and unbeaten again. Exactly same goal scored and conceeded as last season. 103 scored, 11 conceeded. I think I'm nearing the 100 games unbeaten, too.

2025/26 Season Summary

SPL

1. Rangers 104pts

2. Inverness 68pts

3. Patrick Thistle 68pts

4. Celtic 59pts

Yeah...Gary Bowyer sucks. Celtic are now an average SPL team. Horrible transfers each season has led to their decline. So disappointing. Beat them 7-0 at Ibrox.

------------------------

UCL

After winning last season, this was the time to defend our title.

Group:

1. Rangers 11pts

2. Anderlecht 8pts

3. CSKA Moscow 6pts

4. AS Monaco 6pts

Knockout Round:

Fiorentina 0-5 Rangers (agg)

Quarter Final:

Man City 2-3 Rangers (agg)

Semi Final:

Atletico Madrid 3-1 Rangers (agg)

Their strike force was just too much for me. Failed to take the huge amount of chances in the home leg meant we suffered in the away leg. They went on to win it by thrashing Bayern 4-0 in the final.

----------------------

Club World Cup

Beat Corinthians in the final 2-1(e). Their squad was really strong due to Brazil being active. Good test for us.

----------------------

Super Cup

FC Twente 2-1 Rangers

This was played 4 months ago so can't remember the game that well, but from the stats they scored in the 90+4", haha.

----------------------

Those other cups

Thrashed Dundee 4-0 in the final of the League Cup

Inverness beat Celtic on penalties after 1-1 in the Scottish Cup. Ha!

-----------------------

Post 2025/26

All that aside, did my biggest purchase. €35m for a Mexican 21 year old advanced playmaker (CM) from Chivas. Been monitoring him for ages and really should have got him when he was younger, but Chivas played hard. Anyways my €40k pw wage cap was broken as he signed for €60k pw. Considering our success and wealth I'll now use €60k pw as our wage cap. First SPL game and he scored a goal and assisted 3 others in the 2026/27 season.

Approached randomly by Belgium near the end of the 2025/26 season after they failed to make the World Cup. I took charge, and won a friendly 5-0. However by the time the World Cup had finished all the jobs opened up. Spain and Argentina (who have the best newgens) approached me, however, Pepe Mel finally retired after a poor showing in the World Cup with Scotland. So I applied and finally got the Scotland job. Only took me until 2026!!!

On a side note by striker, Sean Sutherland (screenies in this thread) was awarded a testimonial. 30 yrs old and been at the club 12 seasons. True legend despite not being a world class player. Glasgow born, too.

Quick question; how easy is it to win the Scottish Championship without making any signings with Rangers? I plowed through League 1 undefeated etc and now the board wants me to win the SC and get back in to the Prem. Is it relatively easy to win the SC with the current squad?

Very easy. Even without signings you should be 10-15 points ahead come the end of the season. However, I'd strongly advise against making no signings. Your objective should be getting into the UCL asap, so that means winning the SPL title. You should use the lower leagues to give youngsters enough game time for the SPL, but also have a long term plan.

I don't mean buy tonnes of players or overspend, I mean bosmans and shrewd loan deals. My dealings are in this thread and I don't think I spent much in the first few seasons in terms of transfer dealings. I also had a very tight wage budget. Anyway, each person plays different but you can easily replace the huge amount of deadwood in the current squad with cheaper, younger and better players through solid Bosman deals. (New database might mean less targets however.)

After cracking the 100 games unbeaten and winning basically everything I decided to make an alternative save and took the Dortmund/Argentina jobs. The guy who replaced me only took a month to ruin what I had built as he sold all fullbacks, played 3-4-3, and spent €154m, including destroying my wage cap. Really annoying how that happens, but I have my alternative save at the start of 2026/27 season incase I want to go back. Just got a bit stale, so looking forward to rebuilding this Dortmund squad with similar rules, besides a wage cap (within reason though). Going to focus heavily on youth academy prospects/poaching Germans.

After leading the SPL (2nd season) all the way to the split,, i now suddenly get injuries,suspensions and start dropping points,, funny too celtic by some FM coincidence start to find form again (weird that),, now im 3 points behind them but with a better GD,, and just been given the top half fixtures and looks like we will be playing another ( that will make 3) OF game at Parkhead !!! WTF,, swear its helping them ,, so Im off to bed in the huff :(

Just as I thought ,,convinced my save just conspired against me lol. Came 2nd after losing that 3rd OF Game at theirs. I always seem to loose there 1-0. Not only that I only get 2 home games in the last 5 and yep they get 3, including that OF game ,,seriously why is this bug not been fixed, its been happening for years now.

Then as if that aint enough,, right after beating me and clinching title,, in their last 2 games after, they return to their pre split form and lose both back to back,,,, and yes you guessed it my pre form comes back and I win my last 2 !!!!!!!

Sometimes it feels like this game doesn't even try to hide it lol :(

Started a Rangers game of my own finally. Never really something that I've done despite being a supporter.

Currently coming to the end of the winter transfer window in the first season, which I used to strengthen the squad using loans, despite the board giving me a £3million transfer budget. Obviously with the transfer embargo in place there wasn't anything I could do until then, so used some of the younger players in positions which were in need of strengthening.

Results wise, has mainly been superb, with a 100% record in the league so far, and the Challenge Cup trophy in the bag already, the bare minimum has been achieved. A run to the quarter finals in the league cup was also acceptable, especially since we managed to beat Celtic en route to that stage. However we whimpered out, with Aberdeen skelping us. We're also in the Scottish cup still, with a game against East Fife coming up in round 5. Players wise, the best performers have been so far:

Cammy Bell: Played in 29 games for us in all competitions, conceding 16 goals, and keeping 19 cleans sheets in the process.

Kyle McAusland/Seb Faure/Chris Hegarty: All have played a part in our good defensive play throughout the season. Also provided a threat at the other end of the pitch with 8 goals so far between them. Rejected a few bids for Faure as well in this window, which I'm pleased with. Also triggered the extra two years on his contract.

Lewis Macleod: Wanted to leave, but I stuck to my guns and kept him, despite his unhappiness. It has been worth it, with 8 goals from midfield 11 assists and 7 man of the match awards in 18 league appearances, he's so far been the teams best all round performer.

Andy Little & Jon Daly: My strike pairing, with 34 goals between them so far this season. They compliment each other well in these divisions. Unfortunately Jon was ruled out for 3 months, meaning their partnership has had to be halted.

Transfers In:

With the embargo meaning I couldn't strengthen until then, I was looking to strengthen the defence positions, mainly right back and a centre back.

Right Back: Despite McAusland performing admirably, as is seen above, it was a position that still needed strengthening, with there being no real alternative in the squad as I don't rate Foster ingame, or real life. As such, I utilised the loan market to bring in Reece Wabara for this position. He'll add some much needed competition to the backline, and will slot in for Kyle if and when needed.

Centre Back: Due to Gasparotto getting a season ending injury soon into the season, I felt a centre back was needed come January. Again I looked to loan someone in, and again this reinforcement came from Manchester City, this time in the form of Dedryck Boyata. Capped for Belgium, which shows his quality, he should easily be able to walk through games at this level.

Attacking: I felt some attacking reinforcements were needed in order to cope with some of the injuries which we were picking up over the winter period. The first player I picked up was Davide Petrucci on loan for 18 months from Manchester United. A bargain as I have him for one and a half seasons, and don't have any contribution to pay to his wage, or loan fee. A natural central attacking midfielder, he is versatile and can possibly be played on either wing or even as a striker.

As the window drew to a close, Daly picked up his injury, ruling him out for three months, effectively to the end of the season. I then tried to bring in someone on loan, in order to cover the void left. I made offers for several players, many who turned me down (Cillian Sheridan, Daniel Larsson to name two :lol:) or they had their work permit rejected, as was the case for Charlie Davies who I nearly loaned in. In the end I loaned in Conor Wilkinson from Bolton for 6 months, and he should slot in nicely as a Daly replacement.

All in all, I am pleased with how the side is progressing, and hopefully I will be able to add the Scottish Cup to go alongside my Challenge Cup and (pending) League One Championships.

Well that is how ye come back from a disappointing season.

SEASON 3 SPL,, won, along with Lg Cup and Scottish cup (knocking out celtic in the semi 3-0) making it a nice wee treble.

The lg was about as close as it gets,,, all level and us ahead by 2 goals in GD right up to the split. At least this time I got a second OF at home,,,and it turned out to be vital as that's what won the lg beating them 3-1. Really satisfying after what happened last season and all the more as we had a terrible start this year and had to come back from 11 points behind Celtic at one stage. :)

So now in the break and had to extend half the teams contracts (all asking for nearly double now their winners lol) ,, been given 1.9mil of a transfer kitty,, but some will have to go to wages as im over right now by about 10k.

I guess getting to champ lg group stages is required in order to get the 10mil a year I have heard about on here then lol.

Finished the first season, only dropped two points in the entire campaign, which I am pleased about. Daly ended the season with another pretty serious injury which ruled him out for a while, so he missed the start of my 'Championship' season.

With the summer transfer window opened, I looked to strengthen some areas of the squad which I felt were in need of a little extra quality. I tried to keep this within budget as much as possible however. The signings are as follows:

Jesse Joronen

Brought in from Fulham on a free transfer, I brought him in to challenge Bell for the No 1 position, which I feel he should be able to do. At 21 he has a lot of growth and is still years from even reaching his potential as a keeper.

Rory Donnelly

Brought in on loan from Swansea, he spent last season on loan at Aberdeen, where he scored 17 goals in the Scottish Premiership, making him the top scorer. For zero wage contribution, bringing him in at this level was a "no brainer", which his start to his career at Rangers, with 15 goals from 16 starts proving to be the case.

Dedryck Boyata

An 'old face' returning, after his loan spell at the Club last season. During this time I became his favoured personnel, and Rangers one of his favoured teams, so I decided to bring him in. Potentially the best player at the Club, his form at the start of the season saw him recalled to the Belgian side. Also a formidable opponent in the opposition box, with 6 goals in his two terms at the Club

Scott Allan

A replacement in the squad for Hutton and Peralta, and young, Scottish and a Rangers fan to boot, bringing him in gives me extra options in the midfield, and he has the ability to become a good solid player for us. Started off well for us in the Championship.

Marnick Vermijl

A signing from Man United, who had transfer listed him. He is an improvement in the right back area, and can also cover other positions in the squad. Already started off well for us, earning him a call up for the Belgian U-21 side. A signing I have high hopes for.

Lenny Nangis

Brought in for his previous FM exploits more than anything else, where he had always performed for me :lol: So far he has produced though, and for a free transfer, there's not any real risk involved, especially if he performs to the top of his ability. Also provides Templeton and Aird with some genuine competition.

Matt Smith

I noticed the giant Leeds striker on the transfer list, when I was looking for a replacement for Daly (due to his injury) for the targetman role. At almost 2m tall, and weighing 100kg, Smith fits all the requirements for the role, and is keeping Daly out my side now he's returned. Hasn't scored many goals, unfortunately, but he's just scored a winner for me against Celtic, to put us into the semi final of the League Cup, so that alone is worth the expenditure. :lol: Not a bad way to score your first goal and endear yourself to the support though. Also has Scottish nationality as well, which is always nice.

Connor Coady

Brought in to add a little muscle to the midfield, especially after losing Macleod to a broken ankle. Only 21, and performed last well out on loan from Liverpool, so will hopefully be a good option for us. Our only specialist defensive midfielder as well.

Bernie McCartney

A regen from our friends from Linfield, he was brought to my attention in a scouting report, and I felt he looked a decent option to bring in. I initially tried to bring him in with a striker they had also produced, but to no avail as he went to Everton. However I have high hopes, and will look to integrate him into the side throughout the course of the season.

So far in the league, I've performed well, and sitting top of the league. Unfortunately I've already lost a game, at home to Hamilton, and have also been put out of the Challenge cup to Dunfermline. However I am in the semi final of the League Cup with a winnable game against Raith Rovers, so hopefully I should make the final of that competition.

This is the furthest I've ever took a Rangers save, for some reason I tend to get bored with them, but with this save I've enjoyed it far more, and it's kept me interested throughout.

Nice signings. I think if you give McCartney a good amount of first team action at this level, then he should be on his way to being SPL ready. He looks very promising.

Did you get a good intake through the academy?

Yeah I'll try give McCartney as much game time as possible. Just unfortunate that he's in a position where I'm reasonably well stocked with Faure, Hegarty, Boyata and Gasparotto all having legitimate claims to a starting spot, as well as McCulloch, who is still pretty useful. He just looked too good to resist.

As for youth intake, there were a couple who have caught my eye. The best according to the coaches at the club are listed below. The rest of the intake was pretty uninspiring however. Will hopefully be a better intake this year.

John McLean

Steve Healey

Derek Bowden

Jimmy Newall

Stevie Creaney

• 4 weeks later...

Not posted on here in a while but finally, after 9 years of playing FM, I've finally managed to win the CL with Rangers. 2019/20 season. Also 5 domestic trebles in a row!

Will update tomorrow when on comp.

2018/19 Season

After securing our 3rd treble on the trot since being back in the top-flight, it's safe to say we were well and truly back on top of the domestic game and my record-breaking side would go down as one of the best Gers teams ever. But to be considered truly great, we would have to step it up on the European stage. Despite an unfortunate defeat in the Europa League final in our first season back in UEFA competition in 2016, in the CL where it really mattered, after much early promise in the groups we would flatter to deceive in the knockouts.

This season though that all changed. After cruising the group, including smashing Man City 5-1, we were drawn in the last 16 against Fenerbache and this is where we really announced ourselves on the biggest stage. A first-leg away win of 6-0 was followed with a 2-0 win at Ibrox to set ourselves up with a quarter-final tie against current holders Barca, becoming the first Scottish team to reach this stage.

The first leg was in the Nou Camp and somehow, despite being battered from pillar to post, we managed a 1-0 win with a stoppage time header from our world-class centre back Santiago Chiacchio. I felt this was our time and already had my eye on Chelsea for a mouth watering battle of Britain semi-final. Alas, it wasn't to be as the veteran Messi still showed he could cut it as Barca came away from Ibrox with a 3-2 win.

Despite elimination, we had done ourselves proud and with the squad only having an average age of 22 there was still time to make our mark on the big stage...

2019/20 Season

After our good showing last season, our improved coeffecient meant that we entered the group stages without having to go through the mundane qualifiers. We were handed a fairly simple group, drawn with Standard Liege, Lyon and Real Madrid. The latter obviously being our biggest threat.

The first game went well as we hammered Standard 5-1 in Liege, setting the tone for the season to come. Our first home game produced a fantastic 3-0 win against Real Madrid, with the magic James Ward-Prowse (£11m signing from Arsenal) pulling the strings and setting up all Alberto Cerri's 3 goals as we blew away the Spanish side. Our double header with Lyon was a mixed bag with a 2-1 away defeat followed with a 2-0 home win to secure our qualification to the knockouts. A 4-0 home win against Standard meant that we only needed a draw in the Bernabeu to top the group. What a game we were to be in for...

24mtdo6.png

3-0 up at half time and after shocker of a 2nd half it looked like we were going to throw it away before our wonderkid Filipe Valente popped up with a winner 3 minutes before time. So after that eventful game in the Bernabeu, the group finished like this:

9rpr1s.png

So on to the knockouts once again and despite winning our group, we were drawn up against Jose Mourinho's Chelsea with the first leg being at Stamford Bridge.

Things couldn't have went any worse after I set out an attacking side and to my horror, found us 4-0 down at half-time. After we rallied in the second half we brought it back to 4-2 before Carlos Fierro all but sealed Chelsea's place in the quarters. Or so they thought...

oayw4m.png

What. A. Game. Without doubt the best game of my FM career and a comeback I don't think I'll top. A hat-trick from the lethal Russian Karpov put us 4 up at half time and in contrast to the first leg we saw off a late Chelsea rally and somehow, against all the odds, went through to the quarters for the second year in a row. German champions Dortmund lay in waiting...

After the Chelsea game, the team had a new found confidence both domestically and in Europe. 7-0 and 8-0 wins against Motherwell and Hibs respectively set us up perfectly for this huge tie.

We came away from Germany with a 2-1 win and to be honest, it could have been 4 before half an hour. The second leg at Ibrox saw the same scoreline again as we came back from 1 down to win 2-1 and set up a historic semi-final against Barcelona. Revenge from last season would be sweet...

The first leg was at Ibrox and despite completely outplaying them from start to finish, they came away with a 1-1 draw after an error from Jack Butland. As the second leg arrived I knew that a repeat performance would see us through and they were no match for us, despite a 94th minute equaliser we left with two away goals and a place in our very first ever CL final.

2qd0pbc.png

And what a final it was, a true FM classic and one of the reasons why I love this game. Jurgen Klopps Man United lay in waiting and after destroying Napoli 6-0 on aggregate, they probably expected to show up and be awarded the trophy. How wrong they were.

2uoqmwz.png

After Cerri gave us the lead, they managed a fluke equaliser and despite former Celtic player Wanyama seeing red :lol:, another howler from Butland seen them go 2-1 up and with minutes to go it looked like our European dream was over. Until club legend Adam Campbell arrived to save the day with a 91st minute equaliser. After extra time their 10 men were no match for us and we went ahead after a Fellaini OG. The last 15mins were still tense though and a few wonder saves from Butland seen us through to be crowned kings of Europe for the first time in the clubs history. What a season!!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Archived