FM14: Arsenal Thread - "Remember who you are, what you are and who you represent!"

llama3

So, in the summer of 2017 I decided I'd make things a bit more tasty for me. I sold Lewandowski and Ramsey to Chelsea and PSG respectively for £30M each, bringing in Simone Zaza (£5M) as Lewa's replacement and promoting Gedion Zelalem to rotate with Khedira, Arteta, Romero and Wilshere in midfield. I've recently moved towards a 3-5-2 (of sorts) and have been enjoying tremendous results, scoring 19 and conceding 2 in my last 5 games. Zaza has been an absolute success after a slow start, scoring 16 goals in 20 starts, while Mitrovic is enjoying a third successive free-scoring season, bagging 23 in 26 starts and currently topping the Premier League goalscoring charts.

Here's another regen I'm beginning to bring in to the first-team, Juan Roman Castro. Looks like he'll be a perfect limited defender!

sy5p2p.png

looks good natural fitness is a bit low though so is acceleration

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well Anxiietyyy that was a stunning season, great comeback in UCL final too. Outstanding stuff.

JEinchy - hope we see more of you. Must say I am in a proper rut now in terms of enjoyment and getting a save going.

2h5qrgh.png

v6n98n.png

OH MY WORD WHAT A PERFORMANCE! I most certainly did not flail my arms around and squeal like a little girl when Jones' header evened up the tie... :o

I thought all hope of going through to the next round of the Champions League was lost after an embarrassing 3-0 defear at the Juventus Stadium, but the Emirates is proving to be an absolute fortress. This is twice in a row now I've overturned a first leg deficit through a 4-0 win at the Emirates - against Madrid and Juventus :D

106zw9j.png

2017-18

So, here's my first full-length season update. The 2017/18 season was one in which a lot was expected, and a lot was delivered. Following the stunning success of the previous few seasons - two back-to-back Champions League wins as well as four straight Premier Leagues and others - my main objectives going in to this season were to remain the dominant domestic domestic force, become the first club from one of Europe's top six leagues to go two full league seasons unbeaten and also to become the first club in history to win three consecutive Champions League titles.

Going in to the season, I made some big decisions. Out went two big names in Robert Lewandowski and Aaron Ramsey, who joined Chelsea and PSG respectively for £30M each. Despite their worldwide reputations, high value and high wages, I couldn't get either to perform consistently for me in my first couple of years in charge of Arsenal. As Lewandowski's replacement, Simone Zaza was drafted in from Sampdoria for a cool £5M, and Gedion Zelalem was finally promoted to the first team to battle it out with Khedira, Arteta, Romero and Wilshere for a spot in the heart of midfield. Rafinha - a free signing from Barcelona in the summer of 2016 - returned from his successful loan spell at Inter Milan to give us more depth in the attacking midfield spot. In the end, I was left with this squad.

As you can see, the season was a success. We won every competition we were entered in to, and quite convincingly to say the last, with my side, yet again, finishing a Premier League season without losing, and my points tally coming just 1 point short of the record set by myself in 2015. In the Champions League, two heroic home ties - which I described in a post further up in the thread - overturned first leg deficits to see us through to the next round. The 4-0 at home to Juventus to come back from the 3-0 loss away had me on the edge of my seat throughout. Utterly jaw-dropping stuff. The final - against Chelsea -was as boring as they come until, for the second season running, Captain Per Mertesacker bagged a late, late winner to bring the most coveted prize in club football home! Big F------ German.

Barring the 3rd round ET win over Chelsea, our route to winning the Capital One Cup was fairly easy, and I was able to rotate my squad in these games and give some of my youngsters some game time, and - except for the 1-1 draw away at Stoke and the hard fought 1-0 at City - the same can be said for my FA Cup run in.

Awards:

Congratulations to Aleksandar Mitrovic and Serge Gnabry, who won the FWA Footballer of the Year and PFA Young Footballer of the Year respectively. Mitrovic had a tremendous season, bagging himself 31 goals and 15 assists in 44 starts!

Manager's Player of the Year: Matija Nastasić

vzc1lj.png

Simply brilliant throughout the course of the season. Ridiculously consistent, fairly good disciplinary record and a solid goal threat from set pieces - signed for a structured deal worth £25M in January 2016, and since then he has been my best centre half, which really is saying something. He is a real leader and will be appointed the deputy vice-captain behind Mertesacker and Wilshere as Arteta is retiring this summer.

Manager's Young Player of the Year: Serge Gnabry

301oi9l.png

A make-or-break season for the German youngster proved to be successful. With Chamberlain out of form and Walcott having injury problems, Serge had to step up to the plate and deliver - and that's exactly what he did. 12 goals and 10 assists in all competitions is a great return from a 22-year-old still in the process of finding his true identity as a footballer (that sounds deep, but you know what I mean). He scored some vital goals, such as the first goal in out 4-0 demolition of Real Madrid at the Emirates, and he certainly offers something different to Theo Walcott with his high technique and flair. Despite being a natural attacking midfielder, I pretty much exclusively deployed him as a right or left winger. I hope to see more of the same from Serge in the coming years!

That concludes my 2017/18 season review! Hope you enjoyed reading the piece and look out for more to come!

106zw9j.png

2017-18

So, here's my first full-length season update. The 2017/18 season was one in which a lot was expected, and a lot was delivered. Following the stunning success of the previous few seasons - two back-to-back Champions League wins as well as four straight Premier Leagues and others - my main objectives going in to this season were to remain the dominant domestic domestic force, become the first club from one of Europe's top six leagues to go two full league seasons unbeaten and also to become the first club in history to win three consecutive Champions League titles.

Going in to the season, I made some big decisions. Out went two big names in Robert Lewandowski and Aaron Ramsey, who joined Chelsea and PSG respectively for £30M each. Despite their worldwide reputations, high value and high wages, I couldn't get either to perform consistently for me in my first couple of years in charge of Arsenal. As Lewandowski's replacement, Simone Zaza was drafted in from Sampdoria for a cool £5M, and Gedion Zelalem was finally promoted to the first team to battle it out with Khedira, Arteta, Romero and Wilshere for a spot in the heart of midfield. Rafinha - a free signing from Barcelona in the summer of 2016 - returned from his successful loan spell at Inter Milan to give us more depth in the attacking midfield spot. In the end, I was left with this squad.

As you can see, the season was a success. We won every competition we were entered in to, and quite convincingly to say the last, with my side, yet again, finishing a Premier League season without losing, and my points tally coming just 1 point short of the record set by myself in 2015. In the Champions League, two heroic home ties - which I described in a post further up in the thread - overturned first leg deficits to see us through to the next round. The 4-0 at home to Juventus to come back from the 3-0 loss away had me on the edge of my seat throughout. Utterly jaw-dropping stuff. The final - against Chelsea -was as boring as they come until, for the second season running, Captain Per Mertesacker bagged a late, late winner to bring the most coveted prize in club football home! Big F------ German.

Barring the 3rd round ET win over Chelsea, our route to winning the Capital One Cup was fairly easy, and I was able to rotate my squad in these games and give some of my youngsters some game time, and - except for the 1-1 draw away at Stoke and the hard fought 1-0 at City - the same can be said for my FA Cup run in.

Awards:

Congratulations to Aleksandar Mitrovic and Serge Gnabry, who won the FWA Footballer of the Year and PFA Young Footballer of the Year respectively. Mitrovic had a tremendous season, bagging himself 31 goals and 15 assists in 44 starts!

Manager's Player of the Year: Matija Nastasić

vzc1lj.png

Simply brilliant throughout the course of the season. Ridiculously consistent, fairly good disciplinary record and a solid goal threat from set pieces - signed for a structured deal worth £25M in January 2016, and since then he has been my best centre half, which really is saying something. He is a real leader and will be appointed the deputy vice-captain behind Mertesacker and Wilshere as Arteta is retiring this summer.

Manager's Young Player of the Year: Serge Gnabry

301oi9l.png

A make-or-break season for the German youngster proved to be successful. With Chamberlain out of form and Walcott having injury problems, Serge had to step up to the plate and deliver - and that's exactly what he did. 12 goals and 10 assists in all competitions is a great return from a 22-year-old still in the process of finding his true identity as a footballer (that sounds deep, but you know what I mean). He scored some vital goals, such as the first goal in out 4-0 demolition of Real Madrid at the Emirates, and he certainly offers something different to Theo Walcott with his high technique and flair. Despite being a natural attacking midfielder, I pretty much exclusively deployed him as a right or left winger. I hope to see more of the same from Serge in the coming years!

That concludes my 2017/18 season review! Hope you enjoyed reading the piece and look out for more to come!

few questions where did you/get the logo at the top can you link to it?

can you upload your save-game please

FM14 ARSENAL SEASON 2 REVIEW

The season has been a funny one. Seven tournaments entered, four won but still feels like a failure mainly due to not defending the Champions League even remotely closely.

Shall be back in a week or so with new season and new layout.

Hi King,

Love your updates, really good read catching up.

Very cheeky to ask but have you said anywhere what sort of system or tactics you are running?

Struggling a fair bit personally, like any help that might be going!!

839d217a-dedb-4a88-8434-53b52fdf98f2_zpscd34ab3c.jpg

Mid-Season Update

arsenal6_zpsad5e0ab7.jpg

arsenal5_zpse32b9bb4.jpg

arsenal4_zpsfbf0b77a.jpg

Arsenal1_zps4f16f5d2.jpg

on the transfers front I brought In Vela from PSG for a hefty 30m , John Stones from Everton for 6.25m Billy Mckay for 2.5m from Norwich, regen winger Daan Biekmann from Ajax for a 15m -6.25m up front 1.2m over 12 months , 300k/match for 15(league) apps , 6.25m after 15(league) apps and 15% of transfer profit regen keeper & Free Agent Luis Cuevas came in as for out going transfers Walcott & Roberto went to City for a combined 42.5m Lewandowski for 18.75 to Shaktar(after turning down a 6m +24m/48months from United) , Clyne went to Everton for 7.5m Mavraj to Norwich for 1.2m five players also went on loan

Just thought I'd show you all Serge Gnabry's growth form the beginning of the game to December 2018. Currently at 2 1/2* CA, according to my coaches he still has a whole star left to fulfil in terms of potential.

2zz5bib.png

Very nice. Where do you usually play him? Thanks for sharing.

56084148-e7fc-4da7-894a-cfd30cd71d4c_zps1ad0d2e6.jpg

November Update

02/11/13 | Barclays Premier League | Emirates

Arsenal 3 ( Ox 7 , Mertesacker 53 , Ox 79)

Everton 1 ( Lukaku 32 , Gibson Inj 67)

06/11/13 | UEFA Champions League | Emirates ( Grp H) |

Arsenal 2 ( Fucile 17 , Koscielny 34)

Olympiakos 0

10/11/13 | Barclays Premier League |Emirates

Arsenal 2 ( Ox 34 , Koscielny 56)

Swansea 0

23/11/13 | Barclays Premier League | The Circle

Arsenal 0

Hull 0

26/11/13 | UEFA Champions League | Emirates

Arsenal 3 (Bendtner 23 , Ozil 47 , Ox 78)

AC Milan 1 ( Flamini O/G 56)

30/11/13 | Barclays Premier League | Stamford Bridge

Arsenal 1 ( Reyes 81)

Chelsea 0

So, Gedion Zelalem... he's developed fairly nicely and has made a solid squad player, as you can see below:

2vjvm8m.png

But in the summer of 2019, I received his absolutely ridiculous offer from Manchester City.

991ah1.png

I managed to get the offer up to £35M and simply had to accept it. £35M for a player who got an avg. rating of only 7.03 last season is just cheeky. Time to replace!

December Report

03/12/13 | Barclaays Premier League | Emirates

Arsenal 3 ( Vela 14 , Reyes 16 , Gutirrez O/G 67)

Newcastle 0

07/12/13 | Barclays Premier League | Emirates

Arsenal 3 ( Gallas 19 , Giroud 78 & 90+2)

Aston Villa 0

11/12/13 | UEFA Champions League( Grp H) | Parken

Arsenal 2 ( Giroud 30 & 90+3)

FC Kobenhavn 2 ( Arnold 20 , Claudemir 77)

14/12/13 | Barclays Premier League | Emirates

Arsenal 3 ( Giroud 23 & 46 & 79)

Man City 0

23/12/13 | Barclays Premier League | White Hart Lane

Arsenal 0

Spurs 0

26/12/13 | Barclays Premier League | Anfield

Arsenal 1 ( Koscielny 84)

Liverpool 1 ( Szczesny O/G 5)

28/12/13 | Barclays Premier League | Emirates

Arsenal 1 ( Lecygne O/G 66)

Stoke 0

FM 14 season 3

Pre-Season

I barely had any time to take my annual holiday in the summer as transfer business was very busy. Bids were made for a plethora of players some small and some very large. Most but not all were rejected. Tottenham took advantage of my holiday to sign my long term target Lars Bender. However his replacement isn’t too bad.

Transfers

In

Gino Peruzzi – 20m

Yaya Toure – 16.5m

Alexandre Lacazette – 15m

Yanathan Lorenzo (regen) – 2.5m

9 Youth Regens – 7.5m

Spent way over the odds for Lacazette. Searched everywhere for a cheap attacking midfielder and had contract talks with Ribery but he wanted too much or rather his agent did.

Out

Luciano Vietto – 11.25m

Andre Schurrle – 7.5m

Santi Cazorla – 6.5m

Gareth Barry – Free

Michael Nelson – Loaned to Brighton

Yonathan Lorenzo – Loaned to Boca

Andy Saunders – Loaned to West Brom

Dan Crowley – Loaned to Watford

Plenty of other loans and released players. Didn’t want to sell Vietto but wanted him to play. May buy him back one day..

Squad

The squad that would attempt to defend the domestic treble. Jenkinson dropped down to reserves.

Valdes – Zieler

Baines – Gibbs

Perruzzi – Sagna

Vermaelen - Koscielny

Mertersacker – Balanta

Toure – Alonso

Wilshere – Ramsey

Insigne

Lacazette – Gomez

Ozil

Lewandowski – Giroud

Walcott

Pre-Season summary

Pre season started with the traditional game at Barnet. Last year we won 6-2 and this time it was a more placid 4-0. Bradford and Shamrock rovers were easily dispatched before we got to the grittier end of the fixtures. Starting off was Frankfurt. We controlled the game from start to finish but a late strike from Carl Jenkinson was the only goal. I was far more pleased with the replicated scoreline at Lyon. This time it was Andy Saunders with the goal after just 56 seconds. Lyon unable to breakdown a more resolute defense than in pre-season’s past. Post Emirates Cup we played one more game which was a goalless draw at Atletico Madrid. Just three days before the community shield I effectively played two teams for 45 minutes each. Safe to say the first half was better than the second.

Barnet (a) - 0-4 – Lewandowski Wilshere 2(1pen) Vermaelen

Bradford (a) - 0-2 – Giroud Saunders

Shamrock Rovers (a)- 1-3 – Lewandowski Christie Wilshere

Frankfurt (a) - 0-1 - Jenkinson

Lyon (a) - 0-1 – Saunders

Atletico Madrid (a) 0-0

Emirates Cup

Milan replaced Marseille in the Emirates Cup after the French club had to drop out. The revised draw saw us taking on Milan while Barca played Dortmund.

Semi Final

ARSENAL 2 [Lewandwoski 21 Ozil 61] AC MILAN 2 [balotelli 63 Kaka 90]

Milan with 8-7 on penalties.

I played mainly a second string for the first game. There was a chance to see Cazorla in the white of Milan while we had new boys Peruzzi and Lacazette on the bench and saved for the second day. Lewandowski gave us the lead when he pounced after Ozil’s shot had been saved. Ozil himself then doubled the lead and it seemed like game over. But as substitutions were made, Milan roared back from two set pierces. First Balotelli headed in from a corner and then in the fourth minute of stoppage time Kaka replicated the earlier effort. The game went to penalties. The first fourteen were converted until poor old youngster Saunders missed. Dortmund in third play off then.

BARCELONA 3 [Pique 16 Nikolou 19 Messi 42] DORTMUND 0–

Comfortable for Barca. Expect them to win the final and qualify for next years cup.

Third place Play off

ARSENAL 3 [Wilshere 36 Lacazette 42 Lewandowski 87] DORTMUND 0

We matched the Barcelona result with a fine display. It was admittedly a stronger side but we still played well. Vietto was well marked by Vermaelen and Koscielny. Wilshere gave us the lead before debutant Lacazette doubled the advantage. Lewandowski then came on in the second half and added a third.

Final

BARCELONA 2 [Messi 49 Rafinha 85] AC MILAN 1 [balotelli 45]

Barca came from a goal drown to lift the Emirates Cup. Balotelli headed in the opener for Milan before Messi smashed home to give his side the leveller. The game seemed destined for penalties but Rafinha struck the winner with five minutes to go.

So pre-season done and dusted and we were off to Wembley to face Chelsea in the Community Shield.

COMMINITY SHIELD

ARSENAL 4 (Vermaelen 7 Ozil 10 Toure 16 Lewandowski 35) CHELSEA 0

Although I expected to beat Chelsea not quite in the concluding manor. 3-0 up after 16 minutes we were rampant. Lewandowski then made it four it was looking like double figures but Chelsea tightened up to restrict us but still couldn’t get near our goal. Great start.

Premier League

CARDIFF 1 (Cornelius 54) ARSENAL 3 (Ozil 5 Vermalen 18 Walcott 87)

I named an unchanged team from the community shield win. We started superbly with the outstanding Ozil first putting us infront and then providing the cross for Vermaelen to double the lead. We were all over Cardiff in the first half but a combination of Marshall in goal and poor finishing let us down. The second half it was cardiffs turn to put the pressure on. Cornelius pulled one back and the looked decent odds for the leveller before Walcott who hadn’t scored at all during pre-season finally broke his duck. Decent start with United Chelsea and Liverpool all ahead before the end of September.

Premier League

ARSENAL 3 (Ozil 45 Vermaelen 48 Mertersacker 70) WEST HAM 0

For the third consecutive game I played the same team. We had plenty of chances in the first half but it took until the 45th minute to finally take one. The second half was pretty much exactly the same. Vermaelen kept up his excellent goalscoring form to double the lead before Mertersacker got in on the act to extend the advantage. Top of the league and looking good.

Premier League

WEST BROM 1 (Long 39) ARSENAL 2 (Wilshere 18 Insigne 89)

A week long break gave me time to attempt to sign another attacking midfielder. Unfortunately I wasn’t able too. The Albion had already beaten Chelsea at home so I expected a tricky game and so it proved. Wilshere gave us the lead and we seemed in control until Shane long got West Brom level. In the second half it seemed destined to end in a draw as we created little and had no pace on the bench. Fortunately having just missed a decent chance Insigne got a second invitation and buried it to make it three from three.

League table

Early days but won’t complain.

1. Arsenal Played 3 Points 9

2. Southampton Played 3 Points 9

3. Everton Played 3 Points 7

4. Tottenham Played 3 Points 7

5. Man United Played 3 Points 6

------------------------------

6. Chelsea Played 3 Points 6

8. Liverpool Played 3 Points 6

10. Man City Played 3 Points 4

Player of the month – Mezut Ozil

As good as it gets. 3 goals and 3 assists.

CS – Chelsea (N) 8.1(1)

PL – Cardiff (a) 9.0(1)

PL – West Ham (h) 9.2(1)

PL – West Brom (a) 7.0

Stat of the month - The pre-season trilogy

This was the third pre-season. Interesting comparisons over the years especially on the defensive side.

1 – Played 8 Won 4 Drew 3 Lost 1 GF 21 GA 17

2 – Played 7 Won 5 Drew 1 Lost 1 GF 21 GA 9

3 - Played 8 Won 6 Drew 1 Lost 1 GF 16 GA 3

Top scorers

1 – Giroud 4 Walcott 4 Chamberlain Arteta Rosicky Podolski Cazorla 2

2 – Lewandowski 5 Giroud 3 Insigne Vietto Wilshere Ozil 2

3 – Lewandowski 4 Wilshere 4 Saunders 2

Game of the Month

West Brom 3-(Morrison 10 Chester 33 Murphy 49) – Chelsea 1 (Brunt o.g 74 Matip s/o 25 Lamaprd s/o 82)

Chelsea had the mother of all shockers on the opening day of the season. Not only did they lose but also had Lampard and new signing matip sent off. They responded well by beating United 3-0 in the next game.

Other News

I won manager of the month. No surprise that Ozil averaging 8.40 won player of the month with Vermaelen second and Mason Bennet won the young player award.

Champions League draw - ARSENAL Barcelona Galatasaray Hannover

That’s what you get for being knocked out early and only in the second pot of seeds. Other two teams got more generous draws. Liverpool knocked out in qualifiers. Our firast game is the trip to the Nou camp.

League Cup draw – Fulham vs ARSENAL

Kinder than the champions League but still tricky. United play Chelsea.

The summer transfer window overall was quiet. Nikoulou’s move to Barcelona was the biggest deal.

The world cup qualifying group was drawn. England were handed a relatively easy draw with Ireland and Serbia Norway and Lithuania. Italy and France were paired in group C.

September Preview

September is a horror month. Here are the fixtures

Chelsea (a) Barcelona (a) Man United (h) Fulham (a) Liverpool (h) Hannover (h)

Hi King,

Love your updates, really good read catching up.

Very cheeky to ask but have you said anywhere what sort of system or tactics you are running?

Struggling a fair bit personally, like any help that might be going!!

Hi Ron Sorry for the delay in replying.

It always depends on the team we are facing and the match circumstances as well as players available and all sorts of other things.

Currently this season i have played the same team and the same way four times in a row though so not sure what that says.

GK - Default

DL - Complete Wingback

DR - Complete Wingback

DC - Default

DC - Default

CM - Advanced Playmaker Attack

CM - Box to Box midfielder Support

AML Inside Forward Support

AMR Inside Forward Support

AMC Shadow Striker Attack

SC - Trequartista Attack

Mentality - Control Fuidity - Balanced

Instructions - Retain Possession, Shorter Passing, Pass into Space. Work Ball into Box, Play Out of Defense, Run at Defense, Exploit the Flanks, Play Wider, Push Higher Up, Use Tighter Marking, Higher Tempo.

Hope that helps.

January Report

Transfers

IN: P. Mcshane -loan , M. Essian 2.6m , A.Herrera 30.5m OUT: C.Fierro - loan , C.Yacob 16m , A.Ramsey 15m

01/01/14 | Barclays Premier League | Emirates

Arsenal 2 ( Ox 67 , Giroud 89)

C. Palace 0

04/01/14 | FA Cup(Rd 3) | The City Ground

Arsenal 4 ( Mertesacker 3 , Akpom 35 , Mertesacker 49 , Akpom 75)

N.Forest 0

11/01/14 | Barclays Premier League | Carrow Rd

Arsenal 0

Norwich 0

18/01/14 | Barclays Premier League | Emirates

Arenal 1 ( Giroud 45)

Southampton 0

25/01/14 | FA Cup(Rd 4) | Cardiff City Stadium

Arsenal 1 ( Mcshane 31)

Cardiff 1 ( Gunnarson 26 , Bo-Kyung Inj 67)

28/01/14 | Barclays Premier League | Stadium Of Light

Arsenal 1 ( Vela 34)

Sunderland 0

January Report

Transfers

IN: P. Mcshane -loan , M. Essian 2.6m , A.Herrera 30.5m OUT: C.Fierro - loan , C.Yacob 16m , A.Ramsey 15m

01/01/14 | Barclays Premier League | Emirates

Arsenal 2 ( Ox 67 , Giroud 89)

C. Palace 0

04/01/14 | FA Cup(Rd 3) | The City Ground

Arsenal 4 ( Mertesacker 3 , Akpom 35 , Mertesacker 49 , Akpom 75)

N.Forest 0

11/01/14 | Barclays Premier League | Carrow Rd

Arsenal 0

Norwich 0

18/01/14 | Barclays Premier League | Emirates

Arenal 1 ( Giroud 45)

Southampton 0

25/01/14 | FA Cup(Rd 4) | Cardiff City Stadium

Arsenal 1 ( McShane 31)

Cardiff 1 ( Gunnarson 26 , Bo-Kyung Inj 67)

28/01/14 | Barclays Premier League | Stadium Of Light

Arsenal 1 ( Vela 34)

Sunderland 0

Season 3

September

You know my life isn’t very interesting when my updates come within a day!

Premier League

CHELSEA 0 Cole s/o 74 ARSENAL 1 [Giroud 87]

Just under a month from drubbing them 4-0 in the Community Shield we visited Chelsea for the league game. For moments of the first half it seemed like we would repeat or even better that scoreline. The only issue was Courtios was as usual in fine form and we struggled to beat him. They game meandered along in the second half and looking more and more likely to be a draw. When Cole hacked down Walcott and was sent off I thought we should now go and win it and made the necessary substitutions. It was actually Chelsea that seemed the more likely to score but on 87 minutes Giroud headed home.

Champions League

BARCELONA 0 ARSENAL 0

The opening game of the champions League was about as tough as they come. A trip to the Nou Camp. With united visiting three days later it wasn’t the greatest of timing. In the first half I played my normal game and we were well worth the match being level. In the second half Barca stepped it up and I had to play more defensively to make sure we didn’t lose. Insigne missed the greatest chance though when through on goal but was denied by a very good save from Szczesny. Good solid start. Galatasaray won 2-0 at Hannover in the other game.

Premier League

ARSENAL 3 Giroud 23 59 Walcott 51 MANCHESTER UNITED 1 [Van Persie 74]

For the first time in seven matches I made a change to the starting line-up. Giroud replacing Lewandowski. Both Wilshere and Vermaelen were struggling for fitness but both started. Giroud headed in an ozil corner to give uys the lead in a cagey first half. The game opened up in the second with both teams having chances. A rooney chip hit the bar and Zaha twice should’ve done better but shot straight at Valdes. Walcott doubled the lead before Giroud added a third. Van Persie pulled one back but we easily held on. Dissapointed to concede to that man but delighted with the win.

League Cup 3rd Round

FULHAM 0 ARSENAL 2 [Giroud pen13 Lewandwoski 86

We sailed into the fourth round of the league cup with an easier than expected win at Fulham. I trusted the defence more than the attack so opted for Ozil and Giroud. Giroud gave us the lead when Ozil was tripped in the area. Balanta and Gomez hit the bar as we came close to extending the lead and making the game safe. Lewandowski eventually came off the bench to add a bit of class to proceedings and duly scored.

3rd round news – two own goals saw Chelsea beat United 3-0 at Old Trafford. No other upsets.

4th Round Draw – Liverpool vs Arsenal

Just about to host them in the league. Newcastle vs Chelsea other interesting tie.

Premier League

ARSENAL 3 [Toure 2 Giroud 3 Walcott 58 LIVERPOOL 0

Last season in one of our best performances we beat Liverpool 6-1. I didn’t expect a repeat or even close but 2-0 up after three minutes suggested I might be wrong to doubt the lads. We didn’t really kick on and although we restricted Liverpool to long range efforts we only added one more goal through Walcott. He then went off injured and will be out for two weeks.

Champions League

ARSENAL 3 Giroud pen34 Toure 45 Peruzzi 90 HANNOVER 0

The blue shorts returned for the visit of Hannover. I made a couple of changes with Ramsey and Alonso in for Insigne and the injured Walcott. A change in formation too with a 4-1-2-2-1. Wilshere pushed up alongside Ozil. It didn’t seem to work early on with Hannover nullifying the threat of the front three but a clumsy foul gave us a penalty and then Toure doubled the lead on the stroke of haltime. We didn’t threaten as much in the second half and seemed to settle for the 2-0 but up popped unsung hero Peruzzi to score his first goal. Barcelona beat Galatasaray 3-2 in Turkey. Not really the result I hoped for.

League Table

Poor old Liverpool

1.Arsenal Played 6 Points 18

2. Southampton Played 6 Points 15

3. Man United Played 6 Points 12

4. Chelsea Played 6 Points 12

5. Man City pLayed 6 Points 11

--------------------------------

6. Tottenham Played 6 Points 11

15. Liverpool Played 6 Points 6

Goals

Giroud 6

Ozil 3

Vermaleen 3

Walcott 3

Toure 3

assists

Ozil 7

Walcott 3

Insigne 3

Toure 2

Lewandwoski 2

man of match

Ozil 2

Mertersacker 2

Toure 2

Insigne

Giroud 1

Av Rating – minimum 5 games

Vermaelen – 7.96

Peruzzi 7.73

Mertersacker 7.73

Ozil – 7.65

Toure – 7.59

Player of the month – Tomas Vermaelen

Giroud very unlucky to miss out but one goal conceded with that fixture list is too impressive to ignore.

PL – Chelsea – 7.2

CL – Barcelona – 8.3

PL – Man Utd – 7.7

LC – Fulham – Unused Sub

PL – Liverpool – 7.7

CL – Hannover – 7.7

Game of the Month – Liverpool vs Newcastle

LIVERPOOL 2 [Hernanes 14 Suarez 83] NEWCASTLE 3 [Obertan 22 45 48]

Liverpool have lost their last three games. It was a tossup between home losses to Chelsea and Newcastle. I’ll give it to Newcastle just for the Obertan Hattrick

Stat of the Month – Soaring Saints

It was either the demise of Liverpool or the rise of Southampton. Although a generous fixture list has helped they’ve still got the results. Say’s a lot that the West Ham result was a surprise. Will do well to be top half come end of October though!

Southamptons results.

Ipswich (a) won 2-1 Swansea (h) won 2-0 Reading (a) won 3-1 West Ham (a) lost 3-5 Cardiff (h) won 2-0 West Brom (h) won 1-0

October fixtures – Man United (a) Liverpool (a) Cheslea (h) Arsenal (H).

Other News

I made it back to back manager of the month awards. Giroud won Player of the month, Mertersacker was third. Young player went to Will Hughes.

England qualified for the Euro’s by beating Turkey 3-2. A nice Arsenal stamp on the game with Walcott’s brace and Baines the scorers. All the home nations could still qualify.

League top three’s

Goals – Long (wba) 5 Giroud 4 Stsnislas (ips) 4

Assists – Ozil 5 Navas (liv) 3 Knockeas (ips) 3

MOM – Giovinco (car) 3 Taylor (sou) 2 Stanislas (ips) 2

AvRating – Ozil 7.90 Vermaelen 7.77 Mertersacker 7.77

Euro tables

France – 1. Lyon 23 2. PSG 20 3. Monaco 18

Germany – 1 Dortmund 17 2. Bayern 16 3. Gladbach 13

Spain – 1. Granda 15 2. Barcelona 13. 3. Levante 13.

Italy – 1. Juventus 16 2. Bologna 13 3. Genoa 13

Holland – 1. Ajax 19. 2. Vitesse 17. 3. Heracles 16

October Preview

Could make it 10 out of 10 in the league. Liverpool in the cup will be a good test.

hey guys I've simmed to 2030 here are the (arsenal) results

Prem: 5th , 10th , 6th , 13th , 4th , 5th , 4th , 4th , 5th , 5th , 4th , 10th , 6th , 7th , 9th , 6th , 11th

Trophies:

F.A Cups: 1 - 2020 C1C: 1 - 2014 Europa Cup: 3 - 2017 , 2022 , 2023 Euro Super Cup 1-2022

as for the other squads

U-21 Grp 1: 3 - 2018 , 2019 , 2023 U21 Cup: 2 - 2014 , 2019 -18 Grp 1 1 - 2020 U-18 Grp 1 2015 , 2022

Wilshere , Ramsey & a regen called Jorden Cole are legends

having just taken over arsenal the minimum expectation is top half finish :eek:

EDIT

save-game file: https://www.mediafire.com/?lye214zj21xfdmz

hey guys I've simmed to 2030 here are the (arsenal) results

Prem: 5th , 10th , 6th , 13th , 4th , 5th , 4th , 4th , 5th , 5th , 4th , 10th , 6th , 7th , 9th , 6th , 11th

Trophies:

F.A Cups: 1 - 2020 C1C: 1 - 2014 Europa Cup: 3 - 2017 , 2022 , 2023 Euro Super Cup 1-2022

as for the other squads

U-21 Grp 1: 3 - 2018 , 2019 , 2023 U21 Cup: 2 - 2014 , 2019 -18 Grp 1 1 - 2020 U-18 Grp 1 2015 , 2022

Wilshere , Ramsey & a regen called Jorden Cole are legends

having just taken over arsenal the minimum expectation is top half finish :eek:

Would you mind uploading that save? Would be very interesting to see how teams and players got on in the future

FM14 season 3

October

Premier League

ARSENAL 3 [Giroud 30 83 Mertersacker 86] NEWCASTLE 0

After a welcome gap we hosted Newcastle on the Monday Night Football. Alonso picked up a double hernia and would miss six weeks. I decided to pair Giroud and Lewandowski upfront. It didn’t really work though. Giroud gave us the lead with a neat finish before a Vermaelen knockdown allowed Mertersacker to head in the second. Newcastle though responded well and should’ve got back into the game but in the last ten minutes we found another gear and sub insigne’s cross was well headed in by Giroud again. 7 out of 7 and already six points clear. 4 clean sheets in a row too.

Premier League

ARSENAL 2 [Walcott 42 Giroud 72] WIGAN 0

After the International break we hosted Wigan. Having starred in 10-0 and 6-0 wins for England over Androrra and Hungury Walcott returned to the team. He started as part of a front three of himself Giroud and Lewandsowski. It worked wonders as we had Wigan on the backfoot for the entire game but only managed the two goals. Lewandowski again poor. It took until season 3 but I finally achieved five clean sheets in a row. Drogba next though

Champions League

ARSENAL 4 Insigne 10 Giroud 29 Ozil 73 Lewandwoski 90 GALATASARAY 0 Melo s/o 89

Vermaelen failed a fitness test and missed the game giving a chance to Balanta. Insigne replaced Lewandowski. We started well and continued throughout the game is possibly the best performance of the season. Giroud netting for the seventh game in a row. Drogba scoring just 6.4. Team goes from strength to strength. Barcelona had Neymar sent off but still beat Hannover 5-0. Our trip to Turkey next could decide the group.

Premier League

STOKE 1 [Kightly 4[ARSENAL 2 [Kosicelny 19 Lewandowski 82]

As always the premier league were doing us no favours by scheduling the Stoke game on a Sunday with the League cup game at Liverpool two days later on the Tuesday. It didn’t help we were missing Vermaelen and Balanta meaning a first start in the league for Koscienly. Kightly stopped our run of six clean sheets with a good strike before Wilshere limped off. At that point I feared the worst but Koscielny popped up with the equaliser and Lewandowski replaced the poor Giroud and fired home the winner. Probably just about shaded it. Injury to Wilshere isn’t too serious but he will miss the Liverpool game.

League Cup 4th Round

LIVERPOOL 3 [Diame 8 Suarez 45pen Sterling 54] ARSENAL 3 [Lewandowski 10 42 Insigne 23] AET

Arsenal win 6-5 n penalties

Liverpool named a full strength side but I had no luxury. Injuries to Alonso, Wilshere Vermalelen and Balanta as well as several others needing a rest meant I played a much weakened team. We got off to the worst possible start with Diame giving Lieverpool the lead. However a fine Lewandwoski header restored parity. Insigne then gave us the lead before Lewandowski produced another fine header to make it 3-1. It looked like we would comfortably hold out until half time but a clumsy foul by gibbs gave away a penalty which Suarez converted. Sterling then smashed home to make it 3-3. I’m not quite sure how it stayed that way but it went to penalties and after the first five players on each team scored. Insigne scored the sixth for us before Agger’s was brilliantly saved by Zieler and we went through.

Shootout

Toure Giroud Lacazette Ramsey Lewandowski Insigne

Borini Johnson Suarez Matuidi Richards Agger

Quarter Final draw – Arsenal vs Leeds

Finally an easy draw. Probably go out now. Chelsea, City and Spurs all avoided each other.

League Cup 4th Round

SOUTHAMPTON 2 [De Jong 26 Osvaldo 45] ARSENAL 3 [balanta 32 Baines 63 Walcott 88]

United had won at City earlier in the day to cut the gap to three points. Surprisingly despite the 120minutes most of the players pulled up well. Just koscielny missing out but Balanta was fir to return. I kept faith with Lewandwsoki upfront who now had Ozil behind him. We dominated the first half but fell behind to DeJong. Balanta then headed us level and we looked like taking the lead before halftime but Osvaldo turned away from his marker and finished well. A stunning Baines freekick got us level. I went for broke in the last few minutes and Walcott provided the winner. 10 out of 10.

League table]

Southampton go from 2nd to 7th after picking up just a point from the four games. A 1-1 draw at Liverpool.

1. Arsenal Played 10 Points 30

2. Man Utd Played 10 Points 24

3. Chelsea Played 10 Points 22

4. West Brom Played 10 Points 19

5. Tottenham Played 9 Points 18

6. Man City Played 10 Points 17

11 Liverpool Played 10 Points 13

Goals

Groud 10

Lewandwoski 6

Walcott 5

Ozil 4

Insigne 3

Assists

Ozil 8

Insigne 5

Toure 4

Walcott 3

Wilshere 3

av rating

Vermaelen 7.91

Mertersacker 7.69

Peruzzi 7.64

Balanta 7.60

Ozil 7.53

mom

Ozil 3

Mertersacker 3

Toure 2

Insigne 1

Giroud 1

Player of the month – Leighton Baines

Mertesacker and Lewandowski had good months but Baines wins it.

PL – Newcastle 8.4

PL – Wigan – 6.9 – sub63

CL – Galatasaray – 8.2

PL – Stoke – 7.1

LC – Liverpool – Not Selected

PL – Southampton – 8.3(1)

Game of the month – Fulham vs Cardiff

FULHAM 2 [Ruiz 28 Kanoute 57] CARDIFF 3 [Park 63 83 Brayford 80]

West Brom beat Man City 5-0 which we should win but seeing as City were down to ten men for most of the game I’ll give them the benefit of the doubt. Instead I’ll give it to Cardiff for coming from 2-0 down to beat Fulham at Craven Cottage.

Stat of the Month – Long way to go.

Player of the season so far is Shane Long. He’s in the top four for three of the four categories below. Here’s a breakdown of his stunning season so far. Amazingly he’s only scored in the league.

League – Played 10 Goals 11 Assists 2 Mom 4 Av Rating 7.89

Cup – Played 0(1) Goals 0 Assists 0 Mom 0 Av Rating 6.60

International – Played 5(1) Goals 0 Mon 0 Av Rating 6.42

Other News

Shane Long won player of the month. Former gunner Park was third. Barkley won young player while David Moyes beat me to the manager of the month.

Only England from the home nations qualified automatically for the Euro’s in France. Wales face Northern Ireland in the play offs while Scotland tackle Austria. No big casualties in the group stages.

League top three’s

Goals – Long (wba) 11 Giroud 7 Martinez (che) 6

Assists – Giovirinco (car) 7 Mirallas (eve) 7 Rooney (mau] 5

MOM – Giovinco (car) 4 Long (wba) 4 Shawcross (che) 3

AvRating – Long (wba) 7.89 Dwason (new) 7.78 Vermaelen 7.75

Euro tables

France – 1. PSG 31 2. Lorient 29 3. Monaco 27

Germany – 1 Dortmund 24 2. Freiburg 21 3. Bayern 21

Spain – 1. Barcelona 25 2. Real M 22. 3. Atletico M 22

Italy – 1. Juventus 29 2. Genoa 22 3. Bologna 19

Holland – 1. Ajax 28. 2. PSV 22. 3. Vitesse 21

November Preview

The month starts with a crucial game in turkey against Galatasaray. We also host Barcelona as well as Man City in the league

Febuary Report

01/02/14 | Barclays Premier League | The Hawthorns

Arsenal 4 ( Giroud PEN 11 , Vela 60 , Giroud 60 & 90)

WBA 0 ( Lugano S/O 10)

05/02/14 | FA Cup(Rd 4 - replay) | Emirates

Arsenal 2 ( Bendtner 94 , Hudson O/G 116)

Cardiff 1 ( Gunnarsson PEN 112)

08/02/14 | Barclays Premier League | Emirates

Arsenal 3 ( Ox 9 , Bendtner 32 , Vela 68)

Fulham 1 ( Dejagh 55)

11/02/14 | Barclays Premier League | Cardiff City Stadium

Arsenal 0

Cardiff 0

15/02/14 | FA Cup (Rd 5) | Goodison Park

Arsenal 0

Everton 0

18/02/14 | UEFA Champions League | Nou Camp

Arsenal 0

Barcelona 2 ( Iniesta 23 , Montoya 66)

23/02/14 | Barclays Premier League | Emirates

Arsenal 2 ( Giroud 12 , 58)

Man Utd 0

26/02/14 | FA Cup(Rd 4 - Replay) | Emirates

Arsenal 3 ( Giroud 17 , 36 , 67)

Everton 0

How is Bendtner doing for everyone? his stats for me are: apps 17(8) Gls 8 Assts 3 Ave Rat 7.04 MoM 1

Hi all, long time Arsenal fan, recently started a save with Arsenal and it seems to be going well so far!

Opted to turn off transfer budgets in opening window, and topped the table for a few matches before Christmas. Unfortunately facing Liverpool, Chelsea, Man U and Tottenham over the Christmas period meant I only got 4 points out of those games and also had a disappointing loss to West Brom on boxing day (the win against Man U two days later definitely eased the pain though! :D

Got given 60m to spend in January. So far Vela has come in for the 3.4m (you have to really don't you? :p ) and also Balanta. Got beaten to Lewandowski by Man City, but have just splashed out 11m on Porto's Alex Sandro because left back has definitely been my weak spot so far! Frimpong has gone, and as I'm not willing to pay so much to keep Sagna I might offload him for a small fee or at least look for a new right back this window. I did give Bendtner a new contract, but for his wage I now think that might have been a mistake, I will probably have to try and cash in on him in the summer now. I have 33m to spend but I'm not willing to waste the lot just yet, I'm going to see how the rest of January goes before deciding whether to go for a deadline day signing.

After 20 league games the table is as follows:

Chelsea 42

Liverpool 41

Everton 37

Arsenal 35

West Brom 32

Newcastle 31

Giroud has 17 in 29 games which I'm happy with, 4 each from AOC, Walcott and Cazorla are my second highest scorers. Ozil has 3 goals and 5 assists, it feels like he isn't performing brilliantly but he is top of the Key Passes stat for the league by some distance which isn't too shabby considering he missed a month injured.

He likes to come deep, and is good in the air, and with good technique, so maybe CF(S) or DLF(S) - but depends on the supply though. More importantly - what are YOU doing - you are the man getting the goals out of him.

FM14 Season 3

November

Champions League

GALATASARAY 1 [Yilmaz 81] ARSENAL 4 [Koscielny 29 43 Giroud 74 Walcott 88]

The month didn’t start well with the news that Balanta would be out for three weeks. The day before, I went to Madrid to check out their game with Dortmund. Benzema scoring a brace in a 2-0 win. We started well with Bolat producing two very fine saves to keep us at bay. A corner was flidcked on by Ozil to Koscielny to open the scoring. He repeated the trick just before half time. Another flick by Ozil. Galatasaray improved in the second half but couldn’t find a way back into it and sub Giroud slammed in a third to seal the game. Yilmaz pulled one back before Walcott added a fourth. Another great win. Barca won 2-1 in Hannover sending us both through to the knockout stages.

Premier League

ARSENAL 1 [Walcott 28] HUDDERSFIELD 0

After four successive home games we faced newly promoted Huddersfield at the Emirates. Vermaelen wasn’t quite fit again so I kept faith with Koscielny after a 9.4 performance in Turkey. A pretty bog standard game. Walcott getting the goal after we had dominated the early stages. Huddersfield gave a good flight in the second half and twice went close through counter attacks but couldn’t get the goal.

Premier League

DERBY COUNTY 3 [Tabb pen43 Bennett 53 55] ARSENAL 4 [Giroud 4 Walcott 33 Ozil 36 Tait o.g 90]

After the international break we played another promoted side in Derby. Wilshere was injured during a 2-0 defeat by Portugal at Wembley. Alonso and Vermaelen were back on the bench. We quickly set about the game Giroud Walcott and a fine Ozil volley sending us into a 3-0 lead. Derby pulled one back when Sagna gave away a penalty. Only the fingertips of lee grant denied it us a fourth before another poor Sagna error made it 3-2. Derby pulled it back to 3-3 with Bennett scoring another well placed finish. It seemed the points would be shared before one final twist in the tale saw an Ozil corner flick Tait and go in deep into stoppage time. Harsh on Derby but we deserved to win. Sagna didn’t do his chances of ousting Peruzzi much good.

Champions League

ARSENAL 3 [Vermaelen 3 15 56] BARCELONA 1 [Messi 40]

The draw in the Nou Camp was the only game we had failed to score in this season. Mertersacker was missing and out for three weeks just as Balanta returned be it on the bench. With us ahead on goal difference I could afford a goalless draw. One major plus was an injury to Szczesny which forced Barca to play their rookie goalkeeper. Three minutes in vermaelen headed in a corner and we were ahead. Koscielny then nearly made it two but hit the post before Vermaelen repeated the trick. Messi pulled one back for the catilans before the break. Second half continued in the same vain with Barca not really turning up. Vermaelen completed his hattrick on 56 minutes. First Hattrick of the season. You’d got good money on it being the skipper but I’m not complaining. Through as group winners.

Premier League

ARSENAL 3 [ Walcott 5 33 Giroud 29 MANCHESTER CITY 0

We welcomed a new signing before the game in the form of Czech winger Vacluv Pilar. Signed on a free transfer as I just wanted an extra option on the wings. Here to the end of the season. Unlikely beyond. Walcott gave us an early lead with a great run and finish. City controlled the game after that but a sublime Ozil cross was headed in by Giroud and a horrible error by Hart saw Walcott Volley in for 3-0. Chamberlain came off the bench and forced a fine save from valdes as City continued to set the tone and try to get back into the game. They couldn’t and we made it 13 out of 13.

League Table

Full house for Newcastle in November see’s them climb to fourth.

1. Arsenal Played 13 Points 39

2. Man Utd Played 13 Points 33

3. Chelsea Played 13 Points 27

4. Newcastle Played 13 Points 26

5. West Brom Played 13 Points 23

6. Tottenham Played 13 Points 23

7. Man City Played 13 Points 21

11. Liverpool Played 13 Points 17

Goals

Groud 13

Walcott 10

Vermaelen 6

Lewandwoski 6

Ozil 5

Assists

Ozil 15

Insigne 5

Walcott 4

Toure 4

Giroud 3

av rating

Vermaelen 8.06

Koscielny 7.69

Peruzzi 7.66

Ozil 7.62

Balanta 7.60

mom

Ozil 3

Mertersacker 3

Vermaelen 2

Toure 2

Insigne 1

Player of the month – Laurent Koscielny

A late change of heart. I had even put down Walcott’s name and he did well scoring five goals. As did Ozil with 7 assists but just a nose infront was Koscielny. Solid throughout when he had barely a kick before.

CL – Galatasaray – 9.4(2)

PL – Huddersdiield – 7.3

PL – Derby – 7.0

CL – Barcelona – 7.7

PL – Man City – 8.3

Game of the month – Wigan vs Huddersfield

WIGAN 4 [McCealn 26 55 Ings 80 McArthur 87] HUDDERSFIELD 4 [Clayton 13pen Noone 37 Vaughan 88 Ward 90]

A few highlights. Everton winning 5-0 at west brom. Chelsea coming from 2-0 down to draw at home to City. But I’ll give it to two lesser teams and an 8-goal thriller.

Stat of the Month – Unrelenting United.

Usually at this stage I talk about the new signings but I change tack slightly. Having won 13 out of 13 one might expect to lead the table by about 10-12 points. Not the case United have only had one slip up other than losing to us. They refuse to go away.

Newcastle (h) 3-0 Chelsea (a) 0-3 Liverpool (h) 4-0 Stoke (h) 2-0 Arsenal (a) 1-3 Wigan (a) 4-1 Southampton (h) 4-1 Derby (h) 3-0 Huddersfield (a) 2-0 Man City (a) 2-0 Fulham (h) 2-1 Everton (a) 3-1 Tottenham (h) 3-0

Top scorers – Hernandez 10 Nani 5 Van Persie 5 Welbeck 4 Kagawa 3

Top Performers – Turan 7.53 Hernadez 7.50 Vidic 7.49 Evans 7.46 Jones 7.44

December Fixtures - Ipswich (a) Swansea (h) Cardiff (h) Reading West Ham (a) West Brom (h) Newcastle (a)

Other News

Pizzi at Newcastle won player of the month. Walcott was third. Mason Bennett won young player while David Moyes again beat me to the manager of the month.

With one game to go most of the champions league four of europes powerhouses are in danger of failing to qualify. Real Madrid’s fate is out of their hands. They have to better Sportings result. Madrid are away to Celtic. Sporting host Dortmund. Same applies to United who have to beat Plizan and hope Ajax beat Valencia. Juventus must beat Shaktar to qualify. While AC Milan have to beat Kiev and hope Bayern dispatch Monaco.

Wales qualified for the Euro’s but Scotland lost to Austria. Have to wait until next month to find out the draw.

Still no manager sackings in the league.

League top three’s

Goals – Long (wba) 11 Hernandez (mun) Giroud 9

Assists – Mirallas (eve) 9 Pizzi (new) 8 Giovirinco (car) 8

MOM – Long (wba) 4 Giovinco (car) 4 Shawcross (che) 3

AvRating – Vermaelen 7.78 Long (wba) 7.70 Vidic (mun) 7.66

Euro tables

France – 1. PSG 40 2. Monaco 39 3. Lyon 36

Germany – 1 Dortmund 31 2. Bayern 30 3. Freiburg 27

Spain – 1. Barcelona 32 2. Real M 28. 3. Granada 27

Italy – 1. Juventus 38 2. Genoa 31 3. Bologna 24

Holland – 1. Ajax 37 2. PSV 30. 3. Feyenoord 27

December Preview

North London derby on the 19th. Apart from that quite a generous list although quite compact.

Just starting with Arsenal now and I haven't a clue what formation to go with. Going to get Lewandowski and try move on Bendtner. Anyone any ideas? I think I need a DM too, unless Arteta will cut it?

Not managed Arsenal properly for a few versions now that's all.

Has anyone had trouble with 'too many' signings in the second season? I won the league by 10 points in the first season after trying many, many times to have a successful save with Arsenal, having signed no players, and in summer 2014 signed Khedira (£16 million) to take over from Flamini (I found a BWM (D) worked better than a DLP (D) in the more defensive midfield role), De Bruyne (for £7 million as he was transfer listed) to eventually take over from Rosicky/Cazorla on the left, Peruzzi for £17 million (also transfer listed) to take over from Sagna, Akinfeev on a free to back Szczesny up, and Sturridge (£16 million) to eventually replace Podolski as a pacey back-up striker/direct left-winger, as well as a couple of youngsters, and my second season started terribly. Reading beat me 3-1 at home in the COC! Had teamwork and team cohesion on in training but didn't help.

I give you all that kind of starting info in the opening post - that's the point of me doing it.

I meant more of, would anyone recommend 4231 narrow? I obviously want to use Cazorla and Ozil but Santi has low work rate and I want my wingers to press and track back like Chelsea's do currently.

FM14 Season 3

December

Premier League

FULHAM 1 [Ruiz 29] ARSENAL 1 [Ozil 6]

The dream of a perfect season ended. I made three changes with Giroud, Toure Walcott all withdrawn and maybe that was the difference. Ozil gave us the lead early on but a fine Fulham passing move was finished by Ruiz. We never looked like getting the winner and Fulham were more threatening throughout.

Premier League

ARSENAL 6 [Wilshere 5 22 50pen Walcott 16pen 26 Lewandowski 38] EVERTON 2 [Pandev 30 Mertens 69]

I wanted a response against Everton and I got one. I rested Ozil meaning Wilshere played in his favoured position. A hattrick will do him wonders to keep it. Walcott added a brace of his own and Lewandowski also scored. We could’ve had more and Everton were very lucky to get even one goal let alone two. Pilar made his debut.

Champions league

HANNOVER 0 ARSENAL 2 [balanta 2 Lazzarette 15]

All the drama came the day before with Man United Real Madrid and Juventus all being knocked out. We Travelled to Germany safe in the knowledge we had already topped the group. With that being the case I played most of the fringe players. Balanta gave us the perfect start before a brace from Lacazette settled the game and flattered us slightly. I handed a debut to young winger John Christie. Pleasing to end the group stages with a win.

Premier League

ARSENAL 5 [Walcott 7pen 61 Insigne 22 65 Smith o.g58 IPSWICH 0 Morrison s/o 29

We faced a new manager in the form of Brendan Rogers. Mick McCarthey had left to take up the vacant position at Swansea. Rodgers didn’t get off to a great start as we were in a rampant mood. Could easily have been double figures but Ipswich had Scott Loach to thank and lady luck too. We hit the woodwork three times which was thrice more than the attempts Ipswich had. Was nice to see Insigne get a brace after having a quiet start to the season. It’s always a good sign when I don’t make a single substitution.

League Cup Quarter-Final

ARSENAL 3 [Alonso 11 Ramsey 50 Lewandowski 80] LEEDS UNITED 1 [Obika 40]

Despite a game at Spurs in a few days I played a strong side for the quarter final. City and Chelsea were already through from the night before. Insigne Ozil and Balanta started while the likes of Wilshere and Walcott were on the bench if needed. I wasn’t happy with the blue shorts but was much happier with Alonso giving us the lead. However we couldn’t double it and Obika got Leeds level before halftime. Ramsey then put us back infront and we should’ve been out of sight before and after Lewandwoski scored the third.

League Cup Semi Final draw – Tottenham vs Arsenal, Man City vs Chelsea

Not too bad.

Premier League

TOTTENHAM 1 [Lamela 42] ARSENAL 2 [Kaboul o.g 45 Walcott 90pen]

We left White hart Lane with all three points with a goal at the death after a poor display. We created plenty of chances but never really got going. Lamela gave Spurs an undeserved lead after they had threatened nothing and Walcott had hit the bar and Balanta the post. An insigne goal that was credited instead to Kaboul got us level before the break. We went close again hitting the post through Wilshere before that man Kaboul again gave away a penalty approaching stoppage time which Walcott scored. Always nice to beat your rivals even when you’re not at your best.

Premier League

SWANSEA CITY 2 [Guidetti 1 Vasquez 40] ARSENAL 2 [Michu o.g 54 Vermaelen 57]

I had the luxury of naming an unchanged team for another tricky away game at Swansea. We got off to an awful start though. 26 seconds when Guidetti opened the scoring after Shelvey had gone through the back of Toure without a foul. Vorm pulled off an extraordinary save of Insigne to keep it at 1-0. Swansea then went 2-0up with a neatly worked move and I thought the first defeat od the league season was imminent. But two Ozil corners caused panic in the Swans defence and first Michu headed into his own net and then moments later Vermaelen scored his seventh of the season. We should really have gone on and won it but couldn’t put the winner away. United losing at West Ham made the draw a bit sweeter to swallow.

Premier League

ARSENAL 4 [baines 25pen Peruzzi 35 Koscielny 52 Lewandowski 67 READING 0

A typical boxing day game came and went as we hosted Reading. We were slightly flattered by the scoreline as we were far from our best but a goal each for the full backs and two headers from Kosicelny and Lewandwoski made it comfortable. Reading hardly threatened.

Premier League

ARSENAL 4 Lewandowski 5 Toure 41 Walcott 43 Ozil 55] CARDIFF CITY 0

The final game of a busy month and year was at home to Cardiff. They boasted a very formidable front line in Park and Giovinco who had scored 20 goals between them. As so I played a slightly deeper game. It only took five minutes to work Lewandwoski opening the scoring. After that it was a case of how many. Toure and Walcott added goals before half-time. Ozil made it four after the break. It should’ve been more. Vermaelen twice hot the bar. All four goals assisted by the outstanding Lacazette. He’s starting to prove me wrong.

League Table

We extend the lead even with the two draws. Liverpool took three points from the seven games played. They are just four points clear of the relegation zone.

1. Arsenal Played 20 Points 56

2. Man Utd Played 20 Points 44

3. Chelsea Played 20 Points 43

4. Newcastle Played 20 Points 36

5. Tottenham Played 19 Points 36

6. Man City Played 19 Points 35

14. Liverpool Played 20 Points 20

Goals

Walcott 16

Groud 13

Lewandwoski 10

Ozil 7

Vermaelen 7

Assists

Ozil 20

Insigne 9

Lacazette 7

Toure 5

Wilshere 4

av rating

Vermaelen 7.94

Koscielny 7.78

Peruzzi 7.69

Balanta 7.66

Ozil 7.57

mom

Insigne 3

Ozil 3

Mertersacker 3

Wilshere 2

Balanta 2

Player of the month – Eder Balanta

Walcott’s six goals and Vermaelen and Peruzzi’s form have been fantastic and rightly rewarded but Balanta gets it for me.

PL – Fulham – Unused Sub

PL – Everton – 7.6

CL – Hannover – 9.0 (1)

PL – Ipswich – 8.7

LC – Leeds – 7.1

PL – Tottenham – 7.0

PL – Swansea – 6.4

PL – Reading – 8.1

PL – Cardiff – Unused Sub

Game of the month – Newcastle vs Man United

NEWCASLTE 5 [ba 6 15 87 Manga 72 Smalling 80] MAN UNITED 1 [Rooney 64]

It was all set to be another tough decision for game of the month before on the 30th Newcastle stuffed United 5-1. United’s form in December has been very poor. So much for Unrelenting United like last month.

Stat of the Month – Fresh air or bad breath?

Time for my slightly delayed look at the new signings and how they’ve done. Just three in the first team squad as well as Pilar who I won’t include.

Arrivals

Toure – Played 26(2) Goals 4 Assists 5 mom 2 YC 2 RC 0 Average Rating 7.28

Peruzzi – Played 25 Goals 2 Assists 4 mom 1 YC 3 RC 0 Average Rating 7.68

Lacazette – Played 4(10) Goals 2 Assists 7 mom 1 YC 0 RC 0 Average Rating 7.64

Leavers

Scurrle - Played 26(1) Goals 9 Assists 4 mom 1 YC 0 RC 0 Average Rating 6.85

Vietto - Played 5(4) Goals 6 Assists 0 mom 2 YC 0 RC 0 Average Rating 7.70

Cazorla - Played 8(4) Goals 3 Assists 1 mom 0 YC 0 RC 0 Average Rating 6.79

Barry - Played 12 Goals 3 Assists 3 mom 1 YC 0 RC 0 Average Rating 6.97

Other News

Peruzzi won player of the month. Walcott was third. Young player went to Mason Bennett again. I overhauled David Moyes to win the manager of the month.

FA Cup 3rd Round Draw – Peterborough vs Arsenal

Dull at ditchwater draw. Skrill teams Histon or Mansfield will host United.

Champions League 1st Knockout Round draw – Atletico Madrid vs Arsenal

Tougher than I would’ve liked but should still go through. The only other English team left Chelsea play Dortmund. Meanwhile Champions Marseille face Ajax in probably the tie of the round.

Finally a manager was sacked with Swansea boss Martin O’Neil the man to go. Wenger also left Liverpool on Boxing Day.

England were given a kind draw in the euro’s with Bosnia, Croatia and Austria. They start in Paris against Austria. Old foes Germany and Italy were paired in a group as were Spain and Holland.

Messi won World Player of the year. Ronaldo was second and our own Mezut Ozil third. Kovacic was named Golden Boy. There were three Arsenal players in the world team of the year with Vermaelen Peruzzi and Ozil.

Yaya Toure won Africa player of the Year while Giroud took the French Crown.

League top three’s

Goals – Walcott 15 Hernandez (mau) 11 Long (wba) 11

Assists – Pizzi (new) 11 Ozil 10 Mirallas (eve) 10

MOM – Nastasic (mac) 5 Kompany (mac) 5 Mirallas (eve) 10

AvRating – Vermaelen 7.80 Dawson (new) 7.62 Walcott 7.59

Euro tables

France – 1. PSG 52 2. Monaco 46 3. Lyon 40

Germany – 1 Bayern 35 2. Freiburg 34 3. Dortmund 33

Spain – 1. Barcelona 39 2. Real M 37. 3. Atletico 36

Italy – 1. Juventus 48 2. Genoa 41 3. Milan 30

Holland – 1. Ajax 41 2. PSV 33. 3. Feyenoord 32

January Preview

A testing month ahead with the Fa Cup and League Cup semi-final as well as trips to Old Trafford St James’s Park and a home game with Chelsea

The transfer Window opens and I’ve already started negotiations with Xavi. Not expecting any incomings.

Great recap mate. Lacazetta finding great form for you :thup:

How do you have your attacking set pieces setup? I haven't been having much luck with these.

Cheers Mark (Nice name too!)

Fairly simple. Corners have both centre backs attacking each post while the delivery's are always mixed.

Free Kicks I have the best set piece player marking the keeper (if he's playing it's Mertersacker) and the other centre back just forward. Again both Deliverys are mixed.

I know it's an obvious simple thing to say but a good crosser like Ozil does wonders.

FM14 season 3

January

Sorry for the over-regular updates at the moment. Too much free time.

FA Cup 3rd Round

PETERBOROUGH 1 [beharinho 32] ARSENAL 2 [Giroud 7pen 19]

The FA Cup got the month and year underway. I gave a chance to Zelalem in central midfield but named a strong side perhaps heavy on defence. Giroud put us 2-0 up after 20 minutes and t seemed we were in for an easy afternoon living up to the hype as their dangerman beharino pulled one back. Peterborough actually played very well but the little lack of class stopped them from pushing on.

Round up – Yeovil caused the surprise of the round by beating Everton 2-0. Mansfield held United to a 1 -1 draw. Should be different story back at Old Trafford. Elsewhere Reading held Spurs to a goalless draw and Bournemouth beat Sunderland.

5th Round draw – Arsenal vs Newcastle

It could nervy when City United and Liverpool were still left late on but we all avoided each other.

League Cup Semi-Final 1st Leg

TOTTENHAM 2 [bender 55 Soldado 59] ARSENAL 2 [Ozil 65 Insigne 78]

Shakhtar flexed their muscle with a 27 million bid for Balanta. It was rejected but left the player very unhappy. He still started in the first leg of the semi final. A quiet first half burst into life when Spurs went into a 2-0 lead through my former target and an open play goal from Soldado! But a rare header from Ozil pulled it back and I would’ve taken that but then Insigne curled in a beauty for 2-2. Chelsea to some surprise beat City 3-1 at the Etihad in the other first leg game.

Premier League

ARSENAL 3 [Walcott 5 88 Giroud 66 WEST BROM 1 [Long 82]

It was a typical Emirates game. Chances galore for us and very few for them. Walcott with a well taken brace Giroud adding the other. Long pulled one back for West Brom completely undeserved but hey.

Premier League

MANCHESTER UNITED 0 ARSENAL 0

United comfortable saw off Mansfield in the FA Cup (Spurs lost at Reading) but hosted us a whopping 15 points behind after just 21 games. They gap remained after we suffered our first defeat of the season in poor circumstances. It was also the first time in we failed to score for the first time this season. It wasn’t through a lack of trying. We hit the woodwork three times and De Gea had to make a couple of excellent saves but United also had good chances and Nani hit the post. Overall the draw a fair result.

League Cup Semi-Final 2nd Leg

ARSENAL 2 [Mertersacker 70 Lewandowski 83] TOTTENHAM 1 [Adebayor 73]

We made it through to the League Cup final with a comfortable win over spurs. I gave a chance to Mertersacker and he was ther man of the match. Spurs came looking for a goalless draw and it was tough to break them down but first Mertersacker and then Lewandowski scored in the final twenty minutes to set up a final with Chelsea who beat City 2-0.

FA Cup 4th Round

ARSENAL 2 [Walcott 21 Lacazette 40] NEWCASTLE 1 [Pizzi 62]

I will be looking for a new goalkeeper in the summer after I failed to agree a contract with Valdes and he signed for Monaco. With two 5 star keepers in the youth teams though it will only be a short term thing. Mertersacker retained his place and I decided to play Walcott upfront for the first time this season. Behind him was Wilshere rather than Ozil. Walcott opened the scoring after a barnstorming opening 20 minutes. Lacazette doubled the lead before Pizzi pulled one back. Vermaelen limped off and would miss the Chelsea game. Zieler was man of the match with a 9.2 rating.

4th Round news – Liverpool were the only real casualties losing 3-0 at Hull.

5th Round draw – Barnsley or Bournemouth vs Arsenal

Replay to come at Dean Court. Chelsea play Man City.

Premier League

ARSENAL 2 [balanta 25 Walcott 46pen] CHELSEA 0

Had it been most other teams Zieler would’ve kept his place but as it was Chelsea Valdes returned. I did however keep Walcott through the middle and Wilshere behind meaning Ozil had to settle for a place on the right wing. Balanta opened the scoring as we ran away with the first half but couldn’t get the second. Second half started well with Walcott scoring his 20th of the season from the spot. Chelsea tried to find their way back into it and hit the bar but we still looked the more likely to get another goal.

Premier League

NEWCASTLE 0 [Cisse m/p75] ARSENAL 1 [Toure 6]

We returned to the ground of our only league defeat last season. A Toure thunderbolt after wonderful Wilshere sensed it would be a better afternoon. Newcastle though gave a good account of themselves and were unlucky still to be trailing at the break. In the second half we had a goal harshly ruled out for offside before Alonso gave away a very harsh penalty. However it was saved by the excellent Valdes and we saw it out.

League Table

Three wins and a draw. Horrible months for Chelsea and United. City lost four out of five with drawing the other. Liverpool now just three clear of Relegation Zone.

1. Arsenal Played 24 Points 66

2. Chelsea Played 24 Points 49

3. Man Utd Played 24 Points 49

4. Newcastle Played 25 Points 48

5. Tottenham Played 23 Points 46

8. Man City Played 24 Points 36

15. Liverpool Played 24 Points 24

Goals

A goal shy month

Walcott 20

Groud 16

Lewandwoski 11

Ozil 8

Vermaelen 7

Assists

Ozil 23

Insigne 10

Lacazette 7

Toure 7

Wilshere 6

av rating

5 defenders again.

Vermaelen 7.88

Koscielny 7.64

Peruzzi 7.67

Balanta 7.64

Mertersacker 7.60

mom

Mertersacker 4

Insigne 3

Ozil 3

Balanta 3

Giroud 2

Player of the month – Eder Balanta

No standout so despite only playing five games Balanta gets it again.

FA – Peterborough – 7.2

LC – Tottenham – 6.8

PL – West Brom – Unused Sub

PL – Man Utd – Unused Sub

LC – Tottenham – 7.3

FA – Newcastle– Not Selected

PL – Chelsea – 8.8 (1)

PL – Newcastle – 7.9

Game of the month – Newcastle vs Liverpool

NEWCASLTE 5 [ba 40pen 46pen 66 74 Gaitan 71 manga s/o 56 ] LIVERPOOL 2 [Coutinho 38 Gerrard 86]

One to put in the archives of classic encounters. Ba seems to be winning game of the month on his own at the moment. Hattrick last month four this month.

Stat of the Month – Too good to go down?

With Liverpool in 15th it seemed fitting to look at the relegation candidates. Here’s the table;

Of the bottom seven

14. Fulham 24 15. Liverpool 24 16. Swansea 23 17. Huddersfield 21. 18. Ipswich 21 19. Wigan 20. Derby. 19 It seems derby will go down.

Feb relegation fixtures

Swansea vs Fulham Liverpool vs Wigan Ipswich vs Swansea Derby vs Liverpool

Liverpools fixtures for February are; Arsenal (h) Wigan (h) Southampton(a) Derby (a)

Other News

I won the manager award again despite the draw at United. Shane Duffy won player of the month while young player went to Byron Lawrence at Ipswich.

One day left of the transfer window. Saunders might go out on loan but that’s it I expect.

Xavi signed a new contract at Barcelona. I guess He wasn't happy with my offer.

League top three’s

Goals – Walcott 18 Long (wba) 14 Ba (new) 13

Assists – Pizzi (new) 13 Ozil 11 Giovinco (car) 11

MOM – Nastasic (mac) 5 Kompany (mac) 5 Mirallas (eve) 10

AvRating – Vermaelen 7.78 Mertersacker 7.56 Peruzzi 7.54

Euro tables

France – 1. PSG 61 2. Monaco 55 3. Lyon 47

Germany – 1 Bayern 40 2. Freiburg 38 3. Dortmund 38

Spain – 1. Barcelona 52 2. Real M 50. 3. Atletico 48

Italy – 1. Juventus 59 2. Genoa 49 3. Inter 42

Holland – 1. Ajax 45 2. PSV 40. 3. Feyenoord 38

February Preview

A tricky month in prospect. League trips to Upton Park and Anfield plus the return of the Champions League and our annual journey to Wembley for the league Cup Final.

Thinking about starting a new game with Arsenal, Looking at playing a 4-2-3-1 like they do IRL. Has anyone got any advice of how to play Ramsey and Wilshire as the CM pairing behind Ozil? Doesn't look like either of them is suited to a defensive duty, Could 1 be moulded into a more defensive player?

KingLara Haha thanks, do we share a common name then? I will try implement those corner routines. Need something anyway, some of my set pieces are hilarious.

MarvBAFC Of those two in my experience Ramsey can be moulded that way, but that was as more of a Deep Playmaker. I actually had a save where he play DM behind two CMs and he was fine as long as the two in front were hard working.

Archived