Fast, Direct and Efficient Football

One of my angsts with FM is it's too skewed in favour of possession football, even further down the leagues despite it's rarity in real life.

Has anyone successfully set-up quick back to front transitions between defence and attack? I'm tired of seeing my players dwell on the ball in front of a wall of 7 or 8 opposition defenders.

I read something interesting tonight which might achieve what you're after.

It's an alternative method of playing Counter attacking football, with the argument being that the default Counter Strategy is a bit defensive in mentality terms. The solution? Use Control to increase Defensive Line, width and tempo, tick Counter and set Closing Down to Stand Off More to drop the defensive line a bit.

I haven't heard of that before, but it sounds logical.

It's an alternative method of playing Counter attacking football, with the argument being that the default Counter Strategy is a bit defensive in mentality terms. The solution? Use Control to increase Defensive Line, width and tempo, tick Counter and set Closing Down to Stand Off More to drop the defensive line a bit.

I read that on another board and have used it with success. Overachieving with a club the media pegged for relegation, usually stays strong in defense but can launch quick attacks. Control/Stand Off/Counter ticked.

I read that on another board and have used it with success. Overachieving with a club the media pegged for relegation, usually stays strong in defense but can launch quick attacks. Control/Stand Off/Counter ticked.

That's good to hear. Did you keep the rest of the settings in line with a "normal" Counter set up?

By that I mean fairly Rigid Philosophy and Roaming on Stick To Position to hold the overall shape (again as read at that same source)?

Presumably you used a formation with wide players?

My current tactic is a 3-5-2 a la Cleon but with the counter settings in that thread (on the dugout I think). It took some tweaking (mostly in terms of shouts), but I'm starting to see a lot of devastating counters from my side, where 5 of my players (typically 2 ST, 2 DW and one of the three central mids) attack at pace against their back 4 (or 3 if one of the fullbacks is out of position). It's a joy to watch! :)

I think it depends what league you're in. I've found it easier to play a very direct, rigid 4-4-2 with two wingers, two hard working CM's, a target man and a poacher. In the higher leagues though, it is possible, I just don't think it's as workable.

it really really does not favour posession football have played the game for so many years and if there is one thing i know it's that the ai are very good lower down the leagues at beating your posession game by playing it wide in a direct quick style and scoring and after what must be 10000 hours of gameplay over the last 4 football managers i think my opinion is valid and has much much merit.

I've managed to set up an attacking counter attack tactic.

Basically quick and direct in possession but when ever the opposition venture into our half we break on the counter the minute we win it. I've scored a shed load of goals from counter attacks.

The player roles are very important in making sure your actually able to counter though. I use a Dm s and Dlp s in midfield.

Alot of people don't actually want to play counter attacking football where they just

Look to counter. They want to play attacking football but where they look to break quickly when the

opposition venture into there half like various big team do.

RT if you have a link for this article I'd be very interested in reading it.

I am playing with MU 442 attacking fluid direct passing football, all long shots to rare, in the mid i have two very creative players set to dlp(d) ap(s), two wingers attack, both full back support, in attack cf(s), poacher.

scoring almost atleast 3 goals in every match, juz 3 draws in 30 matches and 1 loss in euro cup semi final, took over club in mid season when mu was juz above relegation zone and finished 4th.

not to mention i invested 150 mil in jan :D

Archived