Do strikers need Positioning and Marking attributes?

They can make use of positioning when it comes to heading on corners,etc, but that's it. Not much use for marking though.

Generally I wouldn't bother with either of them. Even if you want to score from corners, your midfielders should be perfectly capable of getting that duty on their own shoulders. (or head to be more precise.)

ive always wondered this too, well the positioning part anyway. I thought that it would work the same for a striker as it would for a defender to be well placed to defend an attack. The higher it is the better positioned the striker tends to be to receive the ball or to be in the right ares of the pitch. But dont most of the strikers in the game have poor positioning so maybe it doesn't matter and anticipation and off the ball for a striker is more important.

They can make use of positioning when it comes to heading on corners,etc, but that's it. Not much use for marking though.

Generally I wouldn't bother with either of them. Even if you want to score from corners, your midfielders should be perfectly capable of getting that duty on their own shoulders. (or head to be more precise.)

Unless you have them marking opponents when defending corners.

Positioning is a defensive attribute - a Defensive Forward may make use of it, but otherwise it is pointless. A big centre-forward is well-capable of challenging for a corner in a defensive capacity without great marking and positioning. Use their ability on useful things like composure and finishing and technique

Is it though? Would you not assume positioning was akin to "being in the right place at the right time" scenario? You have to be in a position to score, i know off the ball counts towards this but you a/ move off the ball to b/ be in the right position.

Is it not open for interpretation or is it fact from FM coding? Its a question not a statement btw...

Edit - also think someone like Teddy Sheringham whose positioning as a striker was the best around, he would float into some great positions. Again not sure if this is off the ball or position but as stated above he has to move "off the ball" to then find a good "position".

Is it though? Would you not assume positioning was akin to "being in the right place at the right time" scenario? You have to be in a position to score, i know off the ball counts towards this but you a/ move off the ball to b/ be in the right position.

Is it not open for interpretation or is it fact from FM coding? Its a question not a statement btw...

Edit - also think someone like Teddy Sheringham whose positioning as a striker was the best around, he would float into some great positions. Again not sure if this is off the ball or position but as stated above he has to move "off the ball" to then find a good "position".

Finding space would be down to off the ball movement and anticipation. As said above a few times, positioning is about defending and where as off the ball is more about attacking.

Yeah just seen it at - http://www.guidetofootballmanager.com/players/player-attributes#positioning

Wasnt sure if it was gospel, I still think its a tad ropey just to assume its a defensive attribute.. though im always sceptical :D

From official FM 2013 manual:

[TABLE=width: 100%]

[TR]

[TD]Positioning [/TD]

[TD]Positioning is the ability of a player to read a situation and position himself in the best possible position to deal with the unfolding events. Anticipation will help him in the first stage but in terms of his actual positioning, it comes down to this attribute. A higher rating will ensure the player takes up a better position.[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Archived