Can FM accurately aid in predicting real-life football matches? An experiment..

Thank you for taking the time to come back and post.. but really, if you've got nothing worthwhile to say then you don't have to post anything buddy :)

Well it is madness, good for a bit of fun but your original post was suggesting that FM could well have some correlation with real life results and if by luck a couple of results did go your way then this could well have an influence for some vulnerable person to start to place bets according to your FM predictions. I merely stated that it would be madness to even begin to think of using this to place bets. Further more, if you do not like my comments then you do not have to respond or even read them. You do not own this thread, this is an open forum, remember that. I will iterate again, for fun yes this would be quite good, but if you were to get a couple of results go your way, then to actually use it to start placing bets would be madness. Good luck with the fun bets. :thup:

I have said one more than one occasion, both directly to you and in general, that I am not using this to place bets with real money, I have never said I would actually use it to place bets.

Thanks again for your interest :)

I have said one more than one occasion, both directly to you and in general, that I am not using this to place bets with real money, I have never said I would actually use it to place bets.

Thanks again for your interest :)

Fair point. Suggestion, why not give your prediction for the selected match along with the FM result and perhaps compare your ability vs FMs ability?

Starting bank: 100 Units

Current bank: 89 Units

Matches played: 2

Correct outcomes: 0/8

Match Three: England vs Brazil

FM result: England 1 (Welbeck 24), Brazil 1 (Neymar 34)

Thoughts for real-life game -

Draw - 3 Units @ 3.40

Correct score 1-1 - 1 Unit @ 6.00

Draw HT/Draw FT - 2 Units @ 5.00

Danny Welbeck first goalscorer - 1 Unit @ 8.50

Keep the faith :)

Nonleague stop trolling, thanks

Just wondered if it would not be better if you could wait until the actual teams are announced and run the simulation then.

I'm assuming you are not due to when you are posting the FM score.

Just wondered if it would not be better if you could wait until the actual teams are announced and run the simulation then.

Yeah, Welbeck isn't expected to start tonight is he?

There are so many factors that chanage in a real life game vs a FM game, a sending off, a injury, coniditons of the pitch (certainly this time of year), weather etc

Interesting thread, but just life real life, if two teams played the same match time and time again, the results would be different pretty much every single time.

I agree that you should wait until the teams are announced.

Am not trolling and since when did you become dictator of the forum?

I'm not too keen on predicting the games myself and then comparing that against the FM result and the real result.. the purpose of this is not to show how good (or bad) a tipster I personally am.. I already know the answer to that one lol :)

I think waiting until the actual teams are announced and running the simulation then is a good idea. The only problem with this is that sometimes teams aren't announced until very near kick-off and then there's still the processes involved for me to adjust anything necessary in the editor, start the new game, arrange the friendly, pick the teams, run the sim and post on here.. but if I have an hours window to do this then perhaps it could work.

Thanks for all the feedback so far, most of you.

I'm not too keen on predicting the games myself and then comparing that against the FM result and the real result.. the purpose of this is not to show how good (or bad) a tipster I personally am.. I already know the answer to that one

Surely by comparing against your own ability you will know whether FM would give you an edge or not?

Alternatively if not yourself, you could open this up to members of the forum to predict results and see if FM is better than the average forum member.

I think opening it up to members of the forum could work better for me.

How do you propose it would work? If you predict a 3-1 win, someone else a 0-0, someone else a 0-2, 0-4, 3-3 etc - how would you come to the "forum choice"?

I draw your attention to the fact that the very title of this thread contains a question, and not a statement.. I am not saying FM can predict the results, and I'm not saying it can't. The whole point of an experiment is that you have to let it run its course and evaluate afterwards. :)

Just a suggestion but I would oppose opening this forum up to any member to predict results as it will become messy and very hard to keep up with it all. The other problem is that let's say for example like you choose the England vs Brazil match, I for instance would have avoided that particular game and perhaps gone for a different match whereby I felt it was a better selection. I would suggest having 2 other members plus yourself and FM, and each day take it in turns to select a match for the next day and then each person makes there prediction for that particular match and run this test for let's say 21 days. I would be interested in taking part in this if you like this suggestion and would allow me to be included. It would be fun and we could see how FM fairs against 3 members (including yourself).

interesting thread. Although i don't believe it can really give you an edge in your betting strategy, it's interesting to see how close FM could come to the real outcome of games.

Having bet on football myself for years, I believe it's too unpredictable for any instrument to give you an edge, even previous confrontations don't always matter. Like you said earlier, what 'should' happen, doesn't always happen :)

will be following this thread either way.

Hi nonleague, sorry but due to some harrowing personal circumstances over the past few days I haven't had as much time to focus on this as I'd have liked. Sorry if this has caused inconvenience to you?

Hope whatever it is/was is okay now. Wish you well j@cko.

• 3 weeks later...

Just read the whole thread through. I like the idea, I think it's very interesting. I can't see it being very beneficial in betting terms, but who knows? I like the idea of a few of you pitting yourselves against each other and the FM match engine too, I think that will make it even more interesting.

Nice idea for a thread though, jacko, something different :thup:

"Everton signed a deal to use the FM database to scout players and opponents." :eek:

Anyone who remembers the mighty Everton teams of very early CMs wont be surprised to know how close SI are to the club. I still wake up in a cold sweat about defending the Limpar/Kanchelskis combination.

Archived