[FM 13] A good career doesn't need a good title

Karnage94

d0FxX.jpg

Havant & Waterlooville - February

League Games

DDcqaxu.jpg

An easy month for physical exertion and 7 points out of 9 was a great performance. Went 2 down vs Sutton and looked to be on the ropes but a good team talk and a switch to 4-2-4really put us back in the game. A draw in the end was a fair result. Against Truro it was sort of similar as we weren't really convincing until we switched to 4-2-4 again, got a goal from a corner and sat back after that to hold on. Vs Chelmsford we did a lot better, getting a first half goal and then controlling the game from there on out, but it wasn't easy by any means. Happy days though and really pleased with how the month turned out

League Table

X5s1Zgb.jpg

Sitting 4th and just 2 points behind after our great month. Really making strides in the playoff race and might grab an automatic promotion spot. We've hit good form again so I'm really pleased.

What's Next?

A tricky start at home to Eastbourne who have been a thorn in our sides in the past.This fixture last season we got beat 4-0 so have to be really careful. Then away to Maidenhead and Farnborough which will both be tricky ties, Farnborough have the best defensive record in the league as well. Then home to Welling and finally away to Boreham Wood. Looking fort an unbeaten month to keep us in touch with the leaders, if we can do that we should reach the playoffs at least barring a mighty **** up.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

d0FxX.jpg

Havant & Waterlooville - March

League Games

M2r1c9X.jpg

Well. A nervy and edgy sort of month. The win against Eastbourne was pretty dominant even if we needed a hat trick of Sam Pearce headers. Not sure what the odds would have been on my first hat trick as a manger coming from a centre back but there we go. The game against Maidenhead was one that we could have won but we probably weren't quite good enough. Farnborough was a frustrating game as we played really well up until our goal, then they found a spark and drive, scored twice and the best defence in the league held out to win. We played good but really not amused to have lost from a very good position. Against Welling we absolutely slaughtered them early on but they got themselves back into the game and deservedly scored. A fair point but I wasn't happy that we couldn't hold on Against Boreham we were in total control until once again we let our lead slip, this time due to a poor clearance from my keeper Bevan and the striker chipped the exposed keeper from 25 yards out. But Pearce popped up with yet another header to secure 3 vital points in our race for promotion.

League Table

BMtGBf0.jpg

Sitting 4th and just 2 points behind after this month. No ground gained or lost as we head into the last few matches of the season.

What's Next?

Staines at home, Tonbridge away and Dover at home. I expect at least 7 points from those games. After that it is away to Gloucester, a game I really should be aiming to get at least a point from. Then a crucial home game vs Basingstoke, one that I feel we have to win to try and dump them out of contention if possible. Absolutely cannot lose that game. To finish the season we play Bromely away which is a real banana skin of a game. That game is on the 3rd of May but I'll throw that into the last update with the rest of the April games.

d0FxX.jpg

Havant & Waterlooville - April/May

League Games

ElUtUu6.jpg

The first 3 games of this last stretch weren't too pleasing. We couldn't beat bottom of the table Staines at home despite being in control and put in a weak attacking performance away to Tonbridge. Defeat to Dover pretty much crippled our title challenge, again we dropped points despite playing well. But key wins vs Gloucester and Basingstoke secured our playoff spot with a game to spare. SWe even had a very slight chance of winning the title on the final day vs Bromley but we missed too many really good chances and ended up with a 1-1 draw, but we played really well again and I reckon that the recent good performances should help us in the playoffs

League Table

M1wsJhs.jpg

So we finish 5th in the league, 1 spot above last season. Sutton lead by John Hartson, former Celtic and Wales striker, won the title on the last day as Chelmsford lost their last game. At the other end. Kingstonian did a bit of a Hull from a few years back, after a really good start they faded badly and needed a win and results to go their way to survive which they did as Welling lost and Truro could only draw.

What's Next?

Playoffs... Bring it on :D

d0FxX.jpg

Havant & Waterlooville - Playoffs

nFlCK26.jpg

Yv9ZFrV.jpg

Gutted isn't the word for it. We played very well in both games, they took their chances in the first despite us creating as many shots and better chances. Both of their goals came from really good shots. The second game I went very aggressive right from the start. So aggressive in fact that we scored 3 first half goals. I don't think we had ever managed that but we did deserve it. Now I was in a dilemma, we had done what was needed to over turn the deficit, now what? Do I sit back and beg the footballing gods that my defence could hold out for 45 minutes? I do I keep going as I did. I made the wrong choice here partly because the away goals rule doesn't come into effect, so I went gung ho until they scored, then sat back. Little did I know I was making a mistake. 90 minutes ellapsed and I was ready to celebrate a great comeback... Nope. Extra time followed and we had chances again to win, but couldn't quite do it. Penalties was all that was left and in all honesty I looked at what players I had to take a penalty and wasn't filled with hope. We lost 4-3 on penalties but it was a superb effort :).

d0FxX.jpg

Havant & Waterlooville - 2013/14 Season Review

So my second season of FM 2013 down. A good season and this time around we reached the playoffs. We had less cup games to deal with so that helped with keeping a small squad fresh over a tough Christmas period and for a brief while we had the lead of the league coming down the closing stretch but we couldn't quite keep hold of it and ended up losing the playoff semi final to the first opposition I had in a competitive match, Chelmsford. Overall I can't have any complaints, we did well this season, but it is my last for Havant & Waterlooville.

Blue Square South - Final Position - 5th - Playoff Semi-Final Defeat

Results 1 - Results 2

Considering the squad that I had thought I'd assembled, reaching the playoffs was a tremendous achievement. A lack of quality in wingers didn't help a team playing 4-4-2 but we gave it a really good go and we did pretty well. A shame to lose to Chemlsford in the playoffs as we had the upper hand in the tie but I can't fault the effort of the team.

FA Cup - Knocked out 1st Round

A similar sort of story to last year but we came up against Doncaster who we played extremely well against. It didn't quite happen for us but I was very pleased :) .

FA Trophy - Knocked out in 1st Round

Losing at home to Truro was a disappointment but it meant we could focus our attentions elsewhere.

Transfers

We eventually got enough players in to fill the amount of outgoing players, Rowe-Turner and Jamie Collins were probably the best loan signing whilst Liam Hughes was our best striker

Squad Stats

Generally the players all did quite well but a serious lack of goals from the strikers really didn't help matters. I put that down to the wide players not being good enough overall going forward as there was precious little supply for the 2 up top for most of the season. We did get enough goals to get by however and defensively we were very good. Sam Pearce once again with the highest average rating and his partner in crime was Sam Page, forming a very formidable defensive partnership. Steve Ramsey contributed the most Key Passes with 50 yet provided just a single assist, which really boggles the mind. Overall, the squad as a whole did a good job this season

Final thoughts

I have resigned just before my contract ran out to let a new man come in and do his thing and also for me to find some work :). 2 years at Havant & Waterlooville have been great but I want to try different countries and new cultures, so the bags are packed and ready to find a new home. I already have a new job just started so I'll be back with a new team update very soon :)

jBV7lZv.png

Louletano FC

Background

7e3IL46.jpg

Not a huge club by any means. One that I can shape the way I see fit. Hopefully I can add a few lines to that background.

Overview

Hn3gH9Q.jpg

The media prediction for last season was 3rd yet the club only finished 10th, so I should have enough reputation at the the club to bring in some good signings.

Facilities

Hn3gH9Q.jpg

30,000 seated stadium is nice to have, must have been built for Euro 2004. It does look really nice as a lot of Portuguese stadiums do, as you can here.

Current Squad

ktmL28e.jpg

Some pretty good players for this level but quite a bit of dead wood to sort out. Luckily I think I can get a lot of good replacements in. Out of what we have the best player in the squad is Joao Reis who I'll aim to play as an Inside Forward on the left of a 4-5-1 formation

Final Notes

The board aim is to finish mid-table, which I reckon is achievable. I'm looking to get promotion straight away but I didn't put myself under any board pressure to do so, giving me a bit of leeway if things go wrong

Also...

iryLqIi.jpg

Michael Ballack will be my new coach on a bank breaking £30 a week. His statsare not so bad either. Thought that this would be worth a mention

Good luck on Louletano. II division South is usually more easy if there aren't the B Teams on the same division. It gets a lot harder on Segunda Liga ;)
Thanks for the heads up. Haven't managed a Portuguese team since FM10 and that was Sporting Lisbon because they had a pretty good squad then. We have Benfica, Porto and Maritimo's B teams in our league which isn't too fun.

Bad luck with H&W in the playoffs, it was a really good effort.
Thanks AK :). I finally felt by the end of it that we were capable of promotion so to miss out was disappointing. Annoyed at myself for not checking that the away goals rule doesn't come into effect in the playoffs.

So unlucky with Havant. Gutted to lose on penalties like that but on to pastures new.

Good luck in Portugal and Ballack as a coach can't be a bad thing, and for only £30 a week bargain!

Thanks :) Yeah I was going through the list of coaches I could get and I seen his name at the top of the list... I stopped for a moment and double checked. Ballack. Yes. Ok how much does he want? 30 quid? Yes please. So he becomes the most high profile person whose opinion I disregard :)

jBV7lZv.png

Louletano - Preseason

TYuMqQk.jpg

The matches all went fairly well. Braga was great till half time as we led 1-0 but they then blew us away in the second half, but the rest I'm very pleased with.

Transfers

IJiID3G.jpg

A lot in and a lot out. I am pretty pleased with my dealings. A lot of deadwood had to go so needed to take my time and get the best players that I could in. The 3 best signings I feel are:

Boubacar - A really solid holding midfielder that I aim to play higher up with the aim of being my destroyer.

Danilo - A good Brazilian midfielder who can cover 5 positions well. I'll be using him as my attacking CM or my DLF, depending on the others in my squad

Daniel Morais - Hopefully my go-to man up front. He should be pretty good at this level.

Squad

MRoM0BW.jpg

A really good squad I feel. The star ratings are a bit odd as quite a few players are rated very highly, but I don't have the best options in my backroom staff, but a lot of them are saying that the players I have are capable of playing to a high standard in the division above. So we shall see :)

Great pre season. Good luck in taking that form into the new seasons :)
Thanks tyepye. So far things have went reasonably well. There is only 2 games in August so I'll roll that into the September update too. Just at the last game of the month now so expect an update soon :)

jBV7lZv.png

Louletano - August/September

League Games

NnTB1nh.jpg

A modest start considering how well i think we can do. Winning over Porto B was nice as they have some insane attacking options for a B team. Stopping them from scoring was the main goal. Then followed 2 frustrating draws as we dominated both away games, just a lack of a clinical finishing touch prevented victory but the shooting boots were on in the game against Ribeira. That was an easy victory to be honest.

League Table

ZkSZ8PZ.jpg

So we sit 4th, 1 point off the lead which is fine at this point. Porto B and Benfica B have incredible firepower up front but very weak options defensively so they have got themselves into a few goal fests already this season.

Cup Games

lXkf61G.jpg

We needed extra time against Machico. Absolutely battered them but our early issue of a lack of clinical finishing showed and it took until we passed them to death till we broke through. The win over Fut. Benfica was a simple one however and on we march into the third round :)

What's Next?

Away to Benfica B, so need to be careful there. Home game vs Oriental after then 2 away trips, first to Sertanense and the to Casa Pia. I'm still uncertain how we will fair against the teams that aren't B teams of big clubs but I'll know more once the season goes on :)

jBV7lZv.png

Louletano - October

League Games

8hsy5nD.jpg

A pretty good month. 3 wins and a draw is always pleasing. The game against Benfica B was rather easy as they only had 2 big name players. Cut them out of the game and it was basically playing against a youth team. Still made hard work of it but was comfortable in the end.

The win against Oriental was pleasing as I looked at the squad comparison before the game and they had an advantage across the board over us, but I trusted my team and tactics. 2-0 was the least that we deserved.

The draw over Sertanense was a really good close battle. They took the lead very early on but we fought back very well in the second half and I thought we had scored a winner but 2 minutes from time they scored a corner. I can't have any complaints to be honest.

The win over Casa Pia had a hint of good fortune about it as Ito's goal was an off target cross that arrowed into the far top corner. Reminded me of Giovanni van Bronckhorst's effort against Uruguay in the World Cup semi final only without the intent :p... Apart from that it was an even game that we had the edge in :)

League Table

b3bzs6J.jpg

This month puts us top of the table with a surprisingly healthy gap. Need to finish 1st to get promoted so no time to be slacking. Also, I have to laugh at Porto B and Benfica B's goals for and against. Pretty silly :)

Cup Games

yzkfcdi.jpg

Ouch. This hit hard. Went 1-0 down early. I persevered with the current way we were set up. Went 2-0 down on the hour mark. Decided to try make some impression on the game. 3 and then 4 went in very quickly. Retreated to the original shell. 5 and 6 went in near the end. They were just so incredibly clinical it was scary. We didn't even play that bad, but we showed little going forward. Another time maybe

What's Next?

Praiense and Pinhalnovense at home, followed by Lousada and Penalva Castelo away and Maritimo B at home to round off the month. With our good start I'd like another unbeaten month. I reckon it's very achievable.

Personal Award

Mfv9Ty9.jpg

Manager of the Month. The best of the North, Center and South divisions which is fantastic to hear :). Only my second award but hopefully there are more to come.

It's strange Porto B (a north team) being on 2nd division south. Great start on the season ;)

It's alway hard against top league teams on the cup, maybe next year you'll be more lucky

Cheers Goldesel. Yeah it was just one of those games where nothing went right for us. Hopefully it will be better next year and hopefully I'm still at the club next season as I'm really enjoying my time with Louletano. November update is being written up now.

jBV7lZv.png

Louletano - November

League Games

m9cNRi7.jpg

A superb month as we win all of our 5 games. 2 clean sheets is decent too. All of the games went fairly similarly to be honest. The only minor slip up was vs Penalva Castelo where we went behind very early on but powered through to a 3-1 win. The wins over Praiense and Maritimo B were very similar. Both teams defended we but we broke them down whilst they offered little going forward and the games against Pinhalnovense and Lousada had us take a 2-0 lead and then let them have a glimer of hope. That pushes us on to 6 wins in a row which is great stuff :D

League Table

Zhkk562.jpg

Slowly running away with it. Our defence is what is keeping us head and shoulders above the rest. Really happy to still be unbeaten in the league and almost half way through the season. Taking it 1 game at a time still but we have been very good this season

What's Next?

Mafra at home and Torreense away will get us to half way through the season. Then we play Farense at home and Porto B away to finish off the month. The first 3 I'm grand with, just Porto B away is a worry due to how good a couple of their players are. Walter however I think will be injured which gives me hope and they aren't doing well in the league, so maybe it will be ok :)

Personal Award

tRDqJpx.jpg

Back to Back Manager of the Month awards. Really pleased :D

WOW. Great couple of months there. Shame about that heavy cup defeat.

You'll win the league by Easter at this rate ;)

Doing brilliantly so far,let's hope the impressive form can continue.

Cheers guys. I would have a new update up but had a couple of computer crashes which has hindered progress. So I'm back to the start of the month again. Not so fun

jBV7lZv.png

Louletano - December

League Games

OBYOElV.jpg

So we finally lose our unbeaten run away to Porto B. It's my best run in this FM with 16 unbeaten league games. Did we deserve to lose? Maybe, it was a close game and their quality down the left flank added to our weakness defensively down our right probably decided the result of the game as both of their goals came from left wing crosses. I knew it was a huge ask to go the league season unbeaten but we now have to focus on the rest of the season and not slipping up.

The home wins over Manfra and Farense were tight but we broke through eventually whilst the draw away to Torreense was nervy as we went behind in the first minute but got a late equaliser but really should have won. On we go into January :)

League Table

ZCJSX8A.jpg

6 point gap at the top which is still pretty manageable. Benfica B seem to be the next best team but Manfra and Torreense seem to have established themselves as potential contenders too.

What's Next?

FC Barreirense is first up at home, followed by away trips to Ribeira Brava and the tricky Oriental, followed by a huge clash with Benfica B at home. If we maintain our gap till that game and then beat Benfica B, I reckon we are in a great position for the title. I'd expect 10 points from 12 this month at least as we are very good at home and the away games aren't exceptionally difficult.

Portugal's easy then ;)

Good work! :thup:

Impressive start it has to be said!

Cheers guys :) It might look easy but I am relying on my attacking full back quite a bit. Offensively he is as good as anyone in the league, never mind for full back, but he is 33 now and I'd really like a replacement very soon.

Archived