FM13 Aston Villa - You can't do worse than McLeish, right?

Troy Damage

• Replies 821
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've started my typical Villa save and have just got past the transfer window, so now would be a good time to update.

Like many in this thread, the first thing I did was trim the wage budget, meaning that Given, Warnock, Ireland, Bent, Hutton and N'Zogbia were all offloaded. This raised about £36.5million to spend, £23.5million of which was invested back into the squad. I've made some decent signings, too, if I say so myself. I signed Sommer and Fierro, Craig Gordon and Reo-Coker were brought in on free transfers, I found some impressive young talents from Scandinavia (including Okore), while Leon Britton and Nathaniel Clyne were brought in from a little closer to home.

For the first time ever I'm trying winger-less formations. Benteke seems like the kind of talent who would play best with a strike partner and Villa have good central midfield prospects I want to build the team around. I have three tactics: 5-3-2, 4-1-2-1-2 and 4-3-1-2, all built around the idea of soaking up pressure and breaking quickly.

Screenshots:

Transfers

Jenssen - a player to build your team around, a potential signing of the season, and only £1.8million!

Juelsgard - not convinced he'll ever be a top, top fullback, but for £2million he's solid

At the moment, I'm four games into the season. Disappointingly, I got knocked out of the Capital One Cup by Brentford, but I've beaten West Brom, Southampton and drew with Fulham in the league. Jenssen has been outstanding so far, while Britton has been quietly brilliant controlling the play from deep in my home games.

I've not done an update in a while, partly because I've not had much time, but mostly because I wanted to crack on with my save. Anyway I'm in november of my fourth season now, but heres an update on what happened last season, and the current state of my squad and finances.

Table: We got ourselves into the Champions League with a strong season, we were in touch with the top teams for most of the season, but we finished really poorly and only just secured a top four finish with a 92nd minute equaliser away at massive suprise package Wolves on the penulitimate weekend of the season. Success in the cups reamined elusive for us, with poor showings in the domestic cups yet again, we did reach the semis of the UEFA cup where we were all too easily beaten by Toulouse during our end of season slump.

Finances: Thanks to continual transfer profits and my strcit wage policy, which I have begun to ease, our bank balance is very healthy, not sure what I'm going to spend it on though, as I tend to have a bit of an Arsene Wenger complex and never want to splash out on players.

Tactics: I slightly rethought the system for my third season, we remain comitted to attractive, attacking, possession based football, but now with two up front, and no wingers. Based on last season, this may be my favourite tactic that I have come up with, its been ages since I've played two up front or not used wide players and I'm loving it.

My Squad: We look in good shape to me.

GK:

Tim Krul - A £10m signing two years ago, he is a top goalie and hasn't ever really let the team down, I don't see myself having to replace him any time soon

Carlos Garner - A recent £1.1m buy from DC United where he had already established himself as first choice, I agreed the deal a few years ago we just had to wait for him to turn 18. According to everyone at the club he has huge potential, and he didn't look out of place deputising for the injured Krul at the start of this season, I wonder how long it will take him to push for the number 1 jersey.

RB:

Matt Lowton - I've been really impressed by Lowton the whole time I've been at the club, it always been in the back of my mind to replace him, but he has always been too solid really.

Josip Basic - Signed on a free from Hajduk at the start of last season, my plan is that he will be first choice once he manages to oust Lowton, he has all the attributes and bags of potential, but remains unconvincing when given the chance.

LB:

Aaron Cresswell - Similar to Lowton, he is no world beater but has never really let me down.

Plinio - The situation is basically the same as at right back, Plinio a £2.6m signing from Internacional two years ago, looks like a fantastic prospect, but he will have to get past the ever reliable Cresswell to become a first teamer, and he has looked dodgy when given the opportunity to show what he can do so far.

CB:

Phil Jones - He fell out with Fergie in December and went straight on the transfer list, we beat Arsenal to his signature in January in a £14m deal, he is a top player.

Ciaran Clark - The club captian continues to be excellent, and in Jones he now has a partner in the same class as himself

Marcin Sokolowski - A free signing from Polish side Ruch Chorzow at the start of last season, at 19 he looks sensational already, and has been superb when given the chance to play as well, a very exciting prospect.

Matthias Ginter - The German was a £6.25m signing from Freiburg two years ago, I signed him to play in midfield, but he can't get in the team there anymore, and is now 4th choice at centre back, he had great potential when we signed him, but his progression has stalled, and it might be best for everyone if he moves on to somewhere he can get first team football, its a shame because he could have been great, mismangement on my part I feel. Hopefully we can recoup what we paid for him.

DM:

Pana Tachtsidis - Brought in on a free from Genoa this summer, the Greek international looks like a good Anchor Man, he has started well anyway.

Havard Nordtveit - One of my first signings at the club, he cost £3.4m from Gladbach, for anyone just starting and needing a defensive mid I would highly reccomend him he has proved a bargain, and if I wanted to sell him ow I would at least double my money, but I don't.

MC:

Leroy Fer - Another freebie this summer, he looks like the solid experienced player that we have been missing in the middle of the park, he has a poor fist touch, but other than that is very good, has had a solid start.

Ole Kristian Selnaes - I signed him for £1.1m right at the beggining of my tenure from Rosenborg and would suggest everyone else does the same, he has been excellent playing as both a deep lying player maker, and an advanced playmaker, he made 36 assists from CM in his first three seasons at the club, and has firmly established himself on the clbs favoured personnel list.

Adryan - There is really no good reason not to sign him for £875k at the start, he has not developed as much as I would have hoped but he is still a decent player.

Gary Gardner - He is fairly solid back up, but not a whole lot more.

AM:

Tom Ince - I bought him for £6.25m in my first season and he was pretty underwhelming as a winger for me, but I have retrained him as a central player and he has been nothing short of excellent since, playing as a trequartista he scores wonderful goals and has the ability to win games single handedly, needs to improve his consistency though.

Gaston Ramirez - Southampton went down last year and Ramierez was straight on the transfer list, for some reason he chose to come to us ahead of Man Utd and PSG, I'm glad he did though as he was very cheap at £10.75m for how superb his stats are, he has been blighted by several minor injuries since signing though.

Mikkel Drost - He looks like a stunning prospect, and he is, with a major flaw; he is Denmarks anwser to Michael Owen, in other words he is the most injury prone player I have ever managed, and as a result I doubt he will ever fulfill his fantastic potential.

DLF:

Gianluca Caprari - Another of my free signings this summer, and the one I'm most pleased with, he looks like a cracking young player, and according to my scouts he has plenty more potential, could be the Italian Wayne Rooney.

Carlos Fierro - At £11m he is my second most expensive signing, and so far has been a let down. I bought him last January and he has barely scored, although he has spent a lot of the time injured, I'm hoping he picks up so I can at least get my money back for him.

P:

Ademilson - 56 league goals in 78 league games says it all really, the best £5.25m I ever spent.

Seydou Doumbia - I've always thought he has looked excellent on FM but I've never bought him, he was available on a free so I couldn't pass up the chance to give him a go, hes been great so far, only he has Ademilson ahead of him so doesn't play as much as he might want.

In my fourth season we have had mixed results thus far, we have made a slow start in the league and are currently 8th after 9 games, but I'm confident we can pick up. In the Champs League, we drew At. Madrid in the qualifier, and lost 2-1 at home in the first leg, and I feared the worst, but we played brilliantly to win 3-0 away, and have gone on to win 4 from 4 in a group with Juve, Dortmund, and Standard Leige.

Starting a new save, started well but then didnt win in 12 and got sacked :(

I kept Bent but he didnt perform so will be sold this time round, got some signings in mind - found a tactic that worked for Everton with Zaha up front so he is a must sign.

Any tips fellow fans?

Troy Damage - great read, there! I was particularly encouraged by Clark's progression - he looks the business. Disappointed to see Fierro hasn't been great for you, though. I see you list him as a DLP, but I've had some success in my first season playing him as an AF.

What's your current wage budget at, btw?

Sparey - sell Bent, and you should probably offload Agbonlahor, too, as he has been terrible for me. You could get £30million between them - you could build a whole new team with that. Look into signing a player called Ruben Jenssen from Norway - he's incredible, especially for £1.8million.

He has already moved on, not interested in me right now :(

So far results are; wigan 3-1 win

Stoke 0-0

Swindow (Cup) 1-0.

Brought;

Wellington Nem - 3.5m

Ademilson 5.25m

Adryan - 875k

Zaha - 5.5m

Masilela - 975k

Jonas Ivens - 170k

Tom Hateley - 1.3m

Sold;

Bent - 20m

Warnock - 2m

Given - ln fee 20k p/m

Ireland - 8.25m (wolves?!)

Marshall - free

Hutton - ln fee 150k p/m

Bowery - ln fee 30k p/m

Bannan - ln fee 150k p/m

Looking to sell Dunne and Gabby aswell before end of deadline

Fair enough!

I'm just about to hit February on my save. After my initial strong start, things started to go to crap when Jenssen got injured for three months while on international duty. After a horrible 4-match losing streak I changed the formation to 4-2-3-1 and have been on a great run since, going from 13th to 8th in the table, including a six-match unbeaten run throughout the tough festive period. I've got key players coming back from injury and a good run of form to build on, so hopefully I can crack on and secure a UEFA Cup place.

My finances are okay but we're continually operating at a loss. Hopefully, clearing some of the dead wood out of my squad in the summer will help.

I still haven't sorted out my scouting and coaching - mainly through laziness. But if I can get to the summer after a good first season then I'll rebuild the club starting at the bottom.

Well only one more fixture to report on, 2-2 draw at home against Fulham, which isnt a bad result but went 2-1 up with like 5 minutes remaining so disappointing in the overview. Just want a top ten finish ideally, lowest I want to finish is 13th.

Well only one more fixture to report on, 2-2 draw at home against Fulham, which isnt a bad result but went 2-1 up with like 5 minutes remaining so disappointing in the overview. Just want a top ten finish ideally, lowest I want to finish is 13th.

I was 13th for a few weeks. Apparently I was 'one bad result' away from the sack. Be careful!

Troy Damage - great read, there! I was particularly encouraged by Clark's progression - he looks the business. Disappointed to see Fierro hasn't been great for you, though. I see you list him as a DLP, but I've had some success in my first season playing him as an AF. What's your current wage budget at, btw?

Cheers mate, wage bill is currently 750k pw, I did get it right down to under 500k pw but have expanded it in the last few windows as the club now has plenty of money, yeah to be fair with Fierro I don't think DLF is really his best position, but he just can't get a game in the more advanced role due to the talent of Ademilson and Doumbia, I can see he is potentially a great player though. Clark has been utterly immense, he wasn't too good for me for the first year but ever since he has been great.

Sparey - the players that I brought in at the start that have been great for me are Nordtveit, Selnaes, and Ince, also sign Ademilson at all costs, take a look at all of their screenies in my post above. Edit -I see you have bought Ademilson, I doubt you'll be disappointed with the results, I use him as a poacher and he scores by the bucket load.

Fair enough!

I'm just about to hit February on my save. After my initial strong start, things started to go to crap when Jenssen got injured for three months while on international duty. After a horrible 4-match losing streak I changed the formation to 4-2-3-1 and have been on a great run since, going from 13th to 8th in the table, including a six-match unbeaten run throughout the tough festive period. I've got key players coming back from injury and a good run of form to build on, so hopefully I can crack on and secure a UEFA Cup place.

My finances are okay but we're continually operating at a loss. Hopefully, clearing some of the dead wood out of my squad in the summer will help.

I still haven't sorted out my scouting and coaching - mainly through laziness. But if I can get to the summer after a good first season then I'll rebuild the club starting at the bottom.

8th is quality for the first season mate, it can be a real tough one, also agree with you about Bannan, he is really useful for the first few years, was my best player in my first season, good on the wing and in the middle.

I've posted a screenshot of my current tactics in my previous post earlier today, and they are working well for me, though its an ambitious set up, and I think it took my team about a year to really get confident playing so fluidly, for ym first two seasons the formation was slightly different, but the philosophy the same, I used to play only one striker, and two wingers, also losing the AM. I can definitely reccomend the way I'm currently playing, check it out.

Yeah, ive put the set up you posted on, and first game was a 2-0 defeat away at man united so not basing it from that game, although did only have 1 shot on target. Next game is QPR at home so will give me a better indication on whether or not to keep with two strikers.

Since then, results have been average, 1-1 via QPR but dominated, 1-0 defeat to Arsenal - very open game, 2-0 win agaisnt Norwich, So its going alright, 13th after 9 games, but got some winnable games coming up, Benteke is injured right now, so playing Ademilson as Poacher and Zaha or Weimann as DLF

Having previously never started as Villa, due to wanting earning my stripes and being offered the job (always felt better back in the day when Doug ran the show) than go straight in....I finally took the plunge, thanks to this great thread and moved into my office within Villa Park/Bodymoor Heath.

I felt it necessary to give my current troops the opportunity to prove my opinions wrong, that many were indeed worthy of wearing the claret and blue only to find, we are indeed poor......we lost our very first per-season friendly to the might of Tamworth, having had only one shot on target and had possession for no more than 36%.

Given conceded twice at this near post, Bent missed two/three sitters and Stephen Ireland managed a rating of less than 5.

Now, I don't put this down to tactics, all though I do appreciate this version of FM does differ in the need to change things around a little on the pitch (as per another post earlier in this thread), I didn't expect too much from the players as they were likely to not yet be match fit however, I am paying these guys more than £40k per week...well not for much longer, I can tell you.

With no money to spend (yet), this will certainly be an interesting period of my FM career....or I might just go back to my Brisbane Roar save, where at least I know I have no money, limited resources and the quality of players are not expected to be great (havent played against Heskey yet, but sure he will be equally as poor...) but the sun is always out....

I did something stupid last night and applied for the Newcastle job, got sacked as Villa (Refused by apology) but then newcastle wanted me, found a tactic on the forums, and it worked amazingly well at Newcastle (who were 16th, having sold a few key players) with a 4-2 via liverpool, and 2-0 win over chelsea.

Decided my interest is only in villa in the game right now so loaded it up again and made a few different signings to fit the formation.

Signings;

Jenssen - 1.8m

Selnaes - 500k

Kweuke - 3.2m

Wellington Nem - 3.5m

Ademilson - 5.25m

Sold;

Given - 500k

Ireland - 8.25m

Bent - 20m

Lichaj - loan

Westwood - loan

Hutton - loan fee 100k p/m

Warnock - 2m

Weimann - loan fee 20k p/m

Hoping this turns out differently, the tactic im using looks promising, but only plays 1 up front.

The tactic i wanted to work didnt, i ended up bottom of the league. Made my own 4-4-2 formation, and its not going as badly now, im 15th but level on points with 13th, and some winnable games coming up. Just cant get strikers to score, despite playing Ademilson as poacher and swapping between other strikers for other position. In Jan now so on look out for new striker who will score and get me up the league.

ah. back. and still proud to be a villa fan after the past 3 matches.

in the early stages, but i have a plan. ridding myself of Bent and Gabby (never managed in previous incarnations to have him a goal threat). so 20m in the bank. more than i'll need. got a few young danes in who will back up my GK (losing given) and my strike partnership of weimann and the beast. tweak their attributes just slightly as Benteke is slightly better at holding up/jumping/strength than he's credited with in the DB the Belgians left us with.

for now i'm simply gonna get an old, wise head in as an addtional central midfielder and that'll be about that.

Thought I would post an update on how I am doing in my save. In my 5th season and I am sitting 6th after 9 games, top of my Europa League group which contains Lyon, Rangers and Viktoria Plzen.

Heres the formation that I am using which I only ended up using because I had no fit CAM's so went for 3 up top instead lol.

1z3trv7.png

Here is the signings I have made over the last few seasons:-

13/14

29zx0rt.png

14/15

30l10yt.jpg

15/16

1hqlh0.png

16/17

2yxg3s0.png

Sold Benteke to Celtic after persevering for 3 seasons with him but just couldn't get him scoring or playing well so cut my losses.

Looking for a new RB to challenge Lowton and a couple of CB's to replace Baker and Lescott next season.

Will try and post more regular updates so my next post isn't stupidly long lol.

Im starting again (again) and need to get some different players in, Ademilson and Wellington Nem clearly coming in, but other than that no idea...any tips? Usual suspects will be sold - Bent, Given, Ireland (can get 8.25m for him) Warnock, Hutton, N'Zogbia.

Apartment were back again among the top level as Saunders ongoing to mold a successful group. This culminated in a 7th top-flight group headline in 1980-81. To the shock of experts and lovers, Saunders stop midway through the 1981-82 period, after dropping out with the chair, with Apartment in the one fourth last of the Western Cup.

crystal lake personal trainer

Finished my first season at a respectable 7th position. We lost 16 games and only drew 5, and finished with a negative goal difference for the season. So there's plenty to work on, but we've been given a decent budget for the coming season. Oddly, I don't think we need too much investment. I'll be aiming for a similar position next year just to solidify the team's standing, develop some of our younger players, and hopefully get the team making a profit month-to-month.

This season we've managed to secure a place in the UEFA Cup, which will help boost our finances, standing within Europe, and give us extra games and playing time for some of the younger players.

My squad, at the moment, looks like:

GK: Sommer, Gordon

RB: Lowton, Clyne

CB: Vlaar, Okore

CB: Clark, Boyata

LB: Juelsgard,

CM: Reo-Coker, Gardner

CM: Britton, Bannan

RM: Albrighton, Agbonlahor

AM: Jenssen, Adryan

LM: Holman

ST: Benteke, Fierro

As you can see, we need to bring in a LB, CM and LM. I've already brought Boyata in on loan. Still searching for a LB and CM, but a £13million transfer to bring Stoch in from Fenerbache will soon be wrapped up. I've already cleared roughly £14million of deadwood out of the squad, including deals offloading Delfouneso, Hutton, Mahdi and Makoun.

So yeah, this season hoping for more of the same, really. If we improve defensively - something we'll actively be working on - then we'll lose less games, turn them into draws, and likely climb up the table.

starting again. again. agree not a load of investment needed. bought strandberg as a solid dc, he's banged in 3 headers from corners in pre-season, a real steal (from rosenborg). villa like scandinavian defenders.....

just not sure what to do in midfield. clark has a lot of intelligence and can be used as a holding midfielder and has some decent mental attributes but isnt really a ballwinner. and i dont want both clark and strandberg in defence, there'd be no leader in the middle of the park. hmmmm diddy hmmmm.

You could get Reo-Coker on a free for midfield. Clark has to start in defence, imo, as he's a rock.

rock he most certainly is. but so is strandberg. and all leaders in defence and no-one in midfield seems a bit unbalanced to me. strandberg has impressed me winning EVERYTHING in the air at both ends; defending and getting on the end of corners up front.

clark just has no bite, so if i play him in midfield i'll need basically a better version of delph to both win the ball back and attack.

would play both strandberg and clark in defence if i could get cover/stopper going but neither of them are stoppers. too similar.

rock he most certainly is. but so is strandberg. and all leaders in defence and no-one in midfield seems a bit unbalanced to me. strandberg has impressed me winning EVERYTHING in the air at both ends; defending and getting on the end of corners up front.

clark just has no bite, so if i play him in midfield i'll need basically a better version of delph to both win the ball back and attack.

would play both strandberg and clark in defence if i could get cover/stopper going but neither of them are stoppers. too similar.

Who is your other CB, and what footedness is Strandberg?

Clark as a ball-playing CB has been a revelation for me - even earned himself a five year contract with a 'Key Player' role after his first season. And, in the first game of the second season, he just got the MOTM award in a 0-1 away win at Blackburn. I've never tried him in midfield, but he's not a player you don't want to be a key figure in your first team.

Another "new Villain" there... Enjoying it so far, have to say, although the start was quite a bumpy road.

Bit over half of season gone, sitting in the 6th place together with Everton and Swansea ATM. Big five ahead of us (no-no, I'm not talking about Pool - they just lost to us at home 0-3 and are ... yes, 19th :cool:)-

Have won 7 games from last 9 - only lost to Wigan :confused: -, but managed to beat Chelsea away and Arsenal besides Pool. Also into 4th round of the FA Cup. Lost to Spurs in QF of COC.

My main transfers:

Before the season:

IN - Reo-Coker (free), Jenas (loan), Sommer (2,8M), Masilela (800K), S. Coleman (2,7M), Giovanni Moreno (3,9M), Melikson (3M)

OUT - Given (loan with option to Chelsea), Hutton (loan), Ireland (8,25M), Warnock (4M)

In January (so far, the window is still open):

IN - Hiljemark (1,3M), De Ceglie (loan) - as Masilela is going to Africa

OUT - Holman (3,6M)

Using mainly high 4321, but in some games also low 42211 (2DMC's + MR/ML + AMC).

Who is your other CB, and what footedness is Strandberg?

Clark as a ball-playing CB has been a revelation for me - even earned himself a five year contract with a 'Key Player' role after his first season. And, in the first game of the second season, he just got the MOTM award in a 0-1 away win at Blackburn. I've never tried him in midfield, but he's not a player you don't want to be a key figure in your first team.

agree that clark is near the top of the team sheet. i can't remember who IRL put clark in the middle of the pitch - houllier or o'neill - but he did a sterling job there. i need someone with composure and a decent brain to receive passes from the back 4.

looking at it another way, strandberg (rosenborg, take a look, around 1m) is a certain starter for me, a "Beast at the Back" but other than being far more physically imposing he's too similar to clark. and i need them both in different areas of the pitch, not have both my "leaders" in central defence. vlaar is very injury-prone (i guess that's on coach reports so isn't a spoiler) and just isn't leadership material to me. clark will be, as will strandberg, so for now i've to choose between the two for captain and vice captain.

2nd central defender? hmmm, undecided. am trying baker and herd in pre-season. THINK i'm going to go cover/stopper as i understand that and if i had 2 big central defenders i'd get cut up by individual brilliance by attackers. strandberg on his own nullifies any aerial threat. so my 2nd defender needs to be an aggressive tackler.

so that's how i ended up with clark as a midfield general. intelligent, thoughtful, can do something useful with the ball (as you said) in starting attacks. BUT again he's no bite. SO i'm looking for a CM partner who will be a ballwinner AND an extra attacking player. tricky. have seen an EXCELLENT and as ever cheap destroyer thru my amazing scouting network. he's called Simao and has played 30 times for mozanmbique. if i get him i'll have created a fortress away from home, but have no spark in the centre of the park to nick the odd goal.

am trying to build a realistically cheap team but have some decent mental attributes because (haven't checked the fixture list yet) i'm expecting the odd bad run. and selling gabby for 13m (reckon i couldda got 15 no probs!) gives me some freedom to rebuild.

no idea what foot strandberg is, haven't yet loaded the game today, just can't play those 2 similar players in same area of the park.

what central 4 (types of player) would YOU go with?

Another "new Villain" there... Enjoying it so far, have to say, although the start was quite a bumpy road.

Bit over half of season gone, sitting in the 6th place together with Everton and Swansea ATM. Big five ahead of us (no-no, I'm not talking about Pool - they just lost to us at home 0-3 and are ... yes, 19th :cool:)-

Have won 7 games from last 9 - only lost to Wigan :confused: -, but managed to beat Chelsea away and Arsenal besides Pool. Also into 4th round of the FA Cup. Lost to Spurs in QF of COC.

My main transfers:

Before the season:

IN - Reo-Coker (free), Jenas (loan), Sommer (2,8M), Masilela (800K), S. Coleman (2,7M), Giovanni Moreno (3,9M), Melikson (3M)

OUT - Given (loan with option to Chelsea), Hutton (loan), Ireland (8,25M), Warnock (4M)

In January (so far, the window is still open):

IN - Hiljemark (1,3M), De Ceglie (loan) - as Masilela is going to Africa

OUT - Holman (3,6M)

Using mainly high 4321, but in some games also low 42211 (2DMC's + MR/ML + AMC).

interesting. must check out this sommer, not the first time i've heard of him. considered hijlemark but not really what i need, decent cheap scandinavian though, and i'm all for that.

so you're not using wingers? my formations ALWAYS include albie, on a good day. his crossing and overall attacking play and workrate; he's as critical to me as clark is.

interesting. must check out this sommer, not the first time i've heard of him. considered hijlemark but not really what i need, decent cheap scandinavian though, and i'm all for that.

so you're not using wingers? my formations ALWAYS include albie, on a good day. his crossing and overall attacking play and workrate; he's as critical to me as clark is.

no-no, my main 4231 IS with wingers - in left all N'Zogbia, Bannan and Agbonlahor are doing great as Albrighton on the right.

Bent is ripping it apart and it's impossible to give needed playing time to Benteke. But he is not moaning, so all happy ATM...

Both Melikson and Moreno have been brilliant in AMC (Adv PM-Att) - fair competition btw them also.

i'm gonna give bent a couple more chances to really shine. but i'm looking at aboubakar (think i spelled it right) who will cost a small fortune from valenciennes. cld play him as an AF together with Benteke or another cheapie i always pick up, Helenius. 3m means no other club will match my bid, but about 1.7m will still allow me among others to offer a contract.

thing with bent is, we already have weimann as a poacher. so i'm unsure. if i go for abou' i'll need to make sure he contributes cos i HATE spending big money, but if i sell bent i'll HAVE big money. yes, ;looking for defensive and midfield recruiting but as per won't go over 3m for a player.

I'm planning a save when I can.

Sell Bent, Warnock, Hutton and Ireland. Frankly they just don't fit anymore.. and that's almost £40 million in the bank, more than enough to build the side up. Possibly Gabby and N'Zogbia too, as I'm not a fan of either.

With that I'd go for:

Will Hughes

Mason Bennett

Schrijvers

Malanda

Zaha

Cresswell

Batth

Tom Ince

Tomkins (if he'll come)

Bring Reo-coker back for some steel in midfield and voila, a team to build with and a team that can easily exceed expectations first season and beyond imo.

I'm planning a save when I can.

Sell Bent, Warnock, Hutton and Ireland. Frankly they just don't fit anymore.. and that's almost £40 million in the bank, more than enough to build the side up. Possibly Gabby and N'Zogbia too, as I'm not a fan of either.

With that I'd go for:

Will Hughes

Mason Bennett

Schrijvers

Malanda

Zaha

Cresswell

Batth

Tom Ince

Tomkins (if he'll come)

Bring Reo-coker back for some steel in midfield and voila, a team to build with and a team that can easily exceed expectations first season and beyond imo.

welcome back.

not sure how much you'd have in the bank. fm's a clever creature, if you sell ONE of gabby or bent you'll get a fortune. offer both you won't, it's been inbuilt for 3-4 years now that if you want to sell all the crown jewels you'll be disappointed.

yes, i'm mirroring my efforts on what's going on IRL. need a leader in defence and one in midfield. and villa's "icons" over the past decade or so have been scandinavians. so i've revamped the scouting, got scandinavia ( and germany and holland) covered and am finding some useful gems that i think will fit in. major revelation has been Stefan Strandberg from Rosenborg (actually plucked TWO) players from them now) who suits me as a calm head at the back.

that means moving ciaran clark into midfield where he played, well, a couple of seasons ago IRL.

then i've someone to marshall both these areas of the pitch.

i offload gabby for a tidy fortune, zogs cos he doesn't work and i'd use him as a pretty ineffective wingback (albie on the other side will put in a shift)

warnock unfortunately can really do a job, so i'll keep him for now.

given is out, free up some wages and bring in another gk.

good luck selling hutton, i've managed to loan him out but no-one seems willing to pay money to take him off my hands permanently:(

EDIT: ireland's a tough one, on a good day will create and score, on a bad day just sub him at half time. i;ve not really found anyone i really like, not pricey and who fits with young and hungry but with decent mental attributes. and can defend too. closest i am, and i can take a punt it;s only 1.3 m is a chappy AGAIN from rosenborg, jonas svensson.

wow, have a team full of scandinavians. my othe new forward (again, a bargain) is another dane, helenius. real steal. he's got something a bit different about him, and like benteke i can pair him with a pure goalscorer.

EDIT 2; jores okore. scouting him, another dane. darn been bought by wolfsburg. that;s my stopper position STILL without a solution at a fair price,,,

Scandinavia is filled with undiscovered talents, in FM 13 even more than in previous games. And the best thing is that they are all cheap. E.g. I bought Strandberg for 350K, he's been sensational and big guns already asking for him. Check out also Alexander Groven from Molde or Fredrik Midtsjø from Rosenborg.

Scandinavia is filled with undiscovered talents, in FM 13 even more than in previous games. And the best thing is that they are all cheap. E.g. I bought Strandberg for 350K, he's been sensational and big guns already asking for him. Check out also Alexander Groven from Molde or Fredrik Midtsjø from Rosenborg.

"unfortunately" i needed to shell out 1m for strandberg, but worth every penny. i simply started with Henke's knowledge of north european leagues and go a couple more scouts to scour holland and scandinavia where theres cheap talent

Archived