FM13 Aston Villa - You can't do worse than McLeish, right?

Troy Damage

• Replies 821
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You should keep posting, I enjoy reading people's updates! :)

Btw, I copied my save file, then accepted the Man Utd job. So I have on save where I'm still at Villa, and one where I'm at Utd. I'll be continuing with the Utd one, for the time-being.

oh, i'll keep posting, just need to be pedantic first with the editor, get a "real villa" scenario working then i'll play and play and keep you all informed!;)

ok, quickie update. found a happy place with the editor and i'm up and running. won't go into figures but i've villa's rep to a level where they're STILL ranked the same in terms of size of premiership team YET the expectations are to stay up. perfect.

so i'm treading carefully to start with. 3 ins; strandberg, costin lazar for a REALLY solid midfield, and the type of player villa SHOULD IRL be bringing in (we'll end up with the chap from Derby instead....) and Ondrasek from Tromso because we dominate in the crossing dept and this chap has a head. if he's THAT good i'll sell bent. wanted these 3 in before training camp so made sure my bids accepted by, well, bidding probably slightly more than was entirely necessary. anyway, the whole lot for 5.5m and 36k in wages. result!

out; gabby (is it just me?) 14.5m. delph 5m. zoggy 10m. given 500k. trouble, this save, even loaning hutton. ouch. will perservere. not all of these sales are upfront fees, not expecting a huge transfer kitty but i'm content.

LOVE the avoid relegation expectations, i'm gonna really get into this now.

After looking at ways Grealish could be used I have decided on a DLP role also agreed with Welshace with the new dimension, he is going to be used in cup games and possibly the odd league match to get used to playing in the role.

My youth and reserve teams wont do well this year as I have cleared the youth of all the good prospects and put them in the reserves, but sent them on loan as I feel it is better for them so once the transfer window is closed and my transfers are finished I will concentrate on build the reserves and youth with young talent for the future.

After looking at ways Grealish could be used I have decided on a DLP role also agreed with Welshace with the new dimension, he is going to be used in cup games and possibly the odd league match to get used to playing in the role.

My youth and reserve teams wont do well this year as I have cleared the youth of all the good prospects and put them in the reserves, but sent them on loan as I feel it is better for them so once the transfer window is closed and my transfers are finished I will concentrate on build the reserves and youth with young talent for the future.

Yeah my under 18's are awful, hopefully a decent intake will come in in july, but we'll see... the reserves have a select few prospects but nothing much else to offer, will need to improve...

Im into christmas time now first season and have 3 transfers already arranged.

IN

Given has steadily declined over the season even though he's been superb, so we've got Butland coming in to replace him when he eventually needs to step down.

Tom Ince has been the best player in the championship thus far, and with Bannan declining after injury, i'll be looking to sell, so Ince is coming in for £6million (albeit including a lot of clauses)

Daley Blind was offered to me for £300k as he was on the transfer list, for that, he is a bargain backup player for both centre mid positions.

OUT

Holman, who's only had 1 sub appearance all season so far, is going to Celtic for £3.5 million, not bad.

El Ahmadi is transfer listed at £4million, with a host of Dutch clubs interested in him, he'll be gone.

Im also starting to lose patience with Albie and Gabby, they're just inconsistent at best, and Tottenham and Chelsea are hovering around Gabby for around £12 million... might be the best idea.

thought i'd enter the fray regarding Grealish. I'll groom him as an AMC/IF like Ireland tho hopefully with less baggage.

Keeping Ireland for now, he and Bent are pricey, yes, and i could build quite a team with the proceeds, but both can pop up with big goals in big games.

DIDN'T make Villa a smaller team than they are, they're ranked EXACTLY where they were in the original FM13 but it's possible to still reduce rep and expectations. well, i'm a happy bunny anyway.

Gabby; yep, SPurs and Chelsea. 14m possible in my game. Albie has bad days, but i like his "slinging it in the mixer" for my forwards to get on the end of. Keeping him fo sho.

Spurs and Chelsea? Gabby? PLEASE someone tell me what that's all about? OK, he's villa thru and thru, as I am, he's just not a very useful football player...........

EDIT: goalkeeper. Guzan will be my no.1, has what i need in a goalkeeper. Backups Wiland, who can communicate with the defenders all he likes in Scandinavian dialects, and most probably a little player i found in french league 2, Baptiste Reynet if we can agree a suitably low fee. good potential and hopefully in my fave attributes.

Jem Karacan and Albin Ekdal

They are fast becoming my favourite ever midfield pairing in FM13 so far.

Both are just so dynamic and interchangeable and it's a joy to watch. Neither ever stop working hard and Karacan bursts past players the way I hoped Delph always would.

Love them.

Spurs and Chelsea both need strikers in game.. and gabby has the pace and strength to give both teams what they need, makes perfect sense for them to go in for him for me.

oh yes, it makes sense but you just have to look at his goalscoring record. i'm just not a fan. btw, if bored with Albie have you had a looksee at Augusto Fernandez at Celta? Personally, i'm sticking with Albie, but if i NEEDED a matchwinning AMR.......

Jem Karacan and Albin Ekdal

They are fast becoming my favourite ever midfield pairing in FM13 so far.

Both are just so dynamic and interchangeable and it's a joy to watch. Neither ever stop working hard and Karacan bursts past players the way I hoped Delph always would.

Love them.

Delph a huge disappointment. he's always the chap you look to bring on when no-one else is available. yes he's versatile and has energy but he just shoots aimlessly and long. 5m, i've taken it.

SURE i'll be happy with my "solid, thinking man's" midfield of Clark and Lazar. Kind of thing i'd like to see Lambert go for.......

oh yes, it makes sense but you just have to look at his goalscoring record. i'm just not a fan. btw, if bored with Albie have you had a looksee at Augusto Fernandez at Celta? Personally, i'm sticking with Albie, but if i NEEDED a matchwinning AMR.......

Good shout but Zaha is currently the right winger in my flat 4 man midfield and excelling, will sign him to a new contract soon, he's been making noises about wanting an improved one :/

i'm so getting well happier and happier. now that i've my remit; staying up, and my funds from losing Zogs, Delph and Gabby for silly money IMHO i can frankly do what i like. Been looking for that marquee matchwinning crowd-pleasing player, and came up with fernandez but don't need a right sided midfield. so i've determined there are no decent players out there for less than 15m and might just go for Valentin Stocker. can play all across the park and will provide that little bit of spark if i need it.

Have had ANOTHER look at Ondrasek now that i've bought him (i know the general idea is to look first) and as well as a decent head he's strong and has guile and intelligence. hmmm. COULD lose Bent maybe......... just, as i said, no-one who would please the crowd that i could spent all that money on. save it for January maybe for when i'm in serious doo-doo.

Good shout but Zaha is currently the right winger in my flat 4 man midfield and excelling, will sign him to a new contract soon, he's been making noises about wanting an improved one :/

yep, zaha is well above my paygrade. as is fernandez for that matter. they'd both just laugh at my villa. stocker realistic, think i'll get him.

i'm so getting well happier and happier. now that i've my remit; staying up, and my funds from losing Zogs, Delph and Gabby for silly money IMHO i can frankly do what i like. Been looking for that marquee matchwinning crowd-pleasing player, and came up with fernandez but don't need a right sided midfield. so i've determined there are no decent players out there for less than 15m and might just go for Valentin Stocker. can play all across the park and will provide that little bit of spark if i need it.

Have had ANOTHER look at Ondrasek now that i've bought him (i know the general idea is to look first) and as well as a decent head he's strong and has guile and intelligence. hmmm. COULD lose Bent maybe......... just, as i said, no-one who would please the crowd that i could spent all that money on. save it for January maybe for when i'm in serious doo-doo.

Darko Lazovic is usually my go to marquee AMR for cheap.

Or Krejci

oh (then i'll shut up for a while) , i made Henke assistant manager again. What should have happened in the real world, guy has knowledge, experience, was assman of a champs league winning team. he's gone to the german 2nd div IRL lambo should've offered him the role at villa. might alleviate the current predicament. I'LL be tuned to five live tonight for the FACup game, but i just don't care. Newcastle tuesday is critical for survival and morale...

Yeah, I was talking to someone about this the other day in another thread, they just aren't rated as highly in game.

Although Wolf Eikrem, Hussain and Forren are all top class.

I signed wolf for my DLP and general set piece taker and he is ripping teams apart with through balls and corners.

godamn it!

That's scuppered my plans to sell Gabby for a good sum.. he's out for 3 to 4 months now grrrr

darn. yeah, have had forren in the past. can't remember how i played it. i'll keep a track of Molde. Maybe it's all a matter of Solskjaer being an excellent manager. REAL shame he wouldn't move his family away from Molde when villa approached him last summer. or all these players from the frozen wastes we like WOULD actually be in Villa shirts.... ach, well.

My tactic is just solid and simple really, I always start off with Counter to get the lay of the land and then adjust to attack if needed, barely need to do much else other than react to the opposition.

villatac.png

hmmm. interesting. i use counter too, find it works at back and up front. i DID have width set to zero too, but have been warned off that and set it to default which is pretty narrow anyway/

i chose "default" for CF because i had 4-5 players with it maxed out, and they were in support roles! i dont want to be COMPLETELY ignored, especially by Albie!

roaming, passing agree fully.

what about marking? i'm going zonal, to keep the shape. just don't know if to employ tight marking. for now have most set to "off" cos they'll hold ground and i have decent defensive stats for marking and positioning.

I need it tight width wise as we play a pretty fast fluid game.. in reality width makes very little difference when you play a flat 4 in midfield as they use the space available and my wingers are my main threat.

Creative freedom is high, again, because of the midfield, all 4 are able to attack or defend in equal measure and I want them to play fluidly.

Marking is default as the majority of my players are defensive or on support and they have their individual marking duties depending on the opposition.

It only really works because most players here have high stamina and we're a pretty pacey side and it's geared up to soak up the pressure against stronger sides before countering or to dominate against slower, weaker sides.

The pressing is great to see, as soon as we lose the ball the opposition is frustrated into giving the ball away most of the time.

I need it tight width wise as we play a pretty fast fluid game.. in reality width makes very little difference when you play a flat 4 in midfield as they use the space available and my wingers are my main threat.

Creative freedom is high, again, because of the midfield, all 4 are able to attack or defend in equal measure and I want them to play fluidly.

Marking is default as the majority of my players are defensive or on support and they have their individual marking duties depending on the opposition.

It only really works because most players here have high stamina and we're a pretty pacey side and it's geared up to soak up the pressure against stronger sides before countering or to dominate against slower, weaker sides.

The pressing is great to see, as soon as we lose the ball the opposition is frustrated into giving the ball away most of the time.

i changed width to default as i was getting hammered down the flanks. but i might go back to zero because my attacking play was a joy. narrow widemen and in effect i was playing 4222. can't remember the reason for setting width to default again, someone said something on t&tf and i agreed, have SO many recent threads i'm viewing i can't remember which one it was.

my team are fit too, one of my criteria is stamina, another is workrate, also determination. don't have players who will give up after 45 mins.

yes, i like high CF, i want my attacking players, if half decent, to roam and do "special" things; key attributes for my widemen and strikers are decisions and teamwork so there's no wasting the ball; but as i said, for some reason CF is maxed out playing balanced/counter and that's TOO much i DO want them to follow basic instructions!

Looking for a young keeper?

Try Kapino or Yann Sommer

cheers. i saw that everyone's going for sommer so thought i'd try for someone different. this chap Reynet is valued by his club at 11m so i'm determined to get him at a knock down price. he's already ok in shot stopping and aerial/communication etc and can be developed.

actually decided one of my 3 tactics will be a 3412. just trying it out. don't "get" flat back 3s but i really want the solidity of clark/lazar in central midfield PLUS possibly an AM~ ireland, stocker, plus just discovered a south african too. thus far is doing really well (the formation) in friendlies so i'll need to decide whether i can employ it when the real action begins.

EDIT: really, signings now just window dressing and some extra guile to score goals. basically have the "spine" the real villa need with Strandberg, Vlaar, Clark and Lazar all central and all leaders. most excellent.

Good stuff, glad it's going well so far :)

I do like the south africans in the game..

Modise, Tshabalala, Erasmus and Jali are all top quality in midfield..

And with Masilela at leftback and Zulu at CB and Khune in goal .. it's a damn good team !

#

#well it's going well, but i'm midway thru the training camp, up against cannon-fodder so very little learned other than the defensive positioning with a back3. however i've arranged friendlies against liverpool, river, boca, club brugge (how i hate how the bbc keep saying bruges as if it's in the french speaking half!), redbull salzberg so i'll get to see how we'll really manage.

thought i'd found another gk, baumann, more pricey and no guarantee he'd come, but i forgot "bravery" in the search. nope.

i've got to watch the spending. wages ok, but i haven't a whole load of transfer kitty for a complete new team. yes, there's always the sell Bent route, but i'm keeping him til jan, see how all my poachers fare. but that's 20m if i need it, and i've only to stay up.

bit concerned about clark, put him on a fitness regime, he was "exhausted" and had played 25 mins. hardly midfield-general form! yes, cld fit him into central defence but lose the "spine" of decent mentally-tough leaders in ALL central positions. or i could bring in another CM who's fitter. simao? not sure i want a ballwinner. not specifically anyway. you're right, he's dirty, but he IS a fine athlete according to my coaches, and there are no injury concerns in fm13...

darn. moving too slow:( went back to orlando pirates see about a bid for the AMC who was also expected to add EXTRA steel to the midfield. been transferred to holland already..... that's a pretty huge plan in tatters. depends if i can get stocker to be a decent AMC. Ireland's good but he's, er, ireland. no steel. no consistency. mentally brittle.

or just ditch this 3412 idea.....

loving this with the lower rep. french L2 players won't join. no joy with the decent young poacher, gaetan courtet. but i DID get the GK, Reynet, a coup for MY villa! really see him as challenging guzan in a year or 2, and a solid replacement when necessary. so there are SOME good things happening. gutted about the AMC though. Andile Jalie. Just a solid amc for almost no money, now he's worth 11m and has just moved to the eredivisie

not sure if you have both these players, but how's about ALbaek or Prib as the AMC/Solid? whaddya think? the GK set me back 6.5m over 4 yrs, but a worthy capture.

not sure i'm spending money wisely, as i'm tinkering with 3412. i now have Aldrete, Warnock, Bannan, Mino down the left side. Yup, i'll spend what i've got, and i'm bringing in people who will help the squad, but if i'm not playing 2 banks of 4 i may have overdone it left side......;)

Have a look at Mads Albaek.. another solid midfielder like Jali who can defend and attack.

edit: haha i swear to the lord almighty, I didnt see your post before i posted mine lol

but yes, albaek is a great little player, won't improve much at all but he's solid enough... never had prib.. looks a useful player though.

I'd sell warnock in a heatbeat.. you'll get 3 million and save all that wages.. and you certainly don't need him when you have aldrete and mino.

great minds, eh;) yep, albaek on the radar. will wait tho. stocker is my "flair" signing and if he's decent in the centre might re-think the solidity thing. and still yet to test the 3412 against decent opposition.

am considering the warnock thing. got aldrete cos in my previous save warnock was decent, very decent, at both ends yet wouldn't sign a new contract. also expect Bannan issues, my wage budget is very tight, no prima-donnas upsetting the apple cart.

for NOW i'll keep Bent, Warnock, Ireland becasue all 3 contribute what they contribute, but if in january i'm either staying up OR need an influx somewhere, the three of them would provide a huge transfer boost.

EDIT|: also missed out on helenius this time around, i dithered, but i like the look of joe mason at cardiff..

Can't tell you how happy I am with my squad, I bought in Daley Blind as a backup utility player.

bnk8SLa.png?1

and he's had to step in already and play as injuries and knocks are becoming more frequently in the later period of the season..

He's just done brilliantly, nothing special as such, just a solid solid player who's come in and always gets avr. ratings of 7+ .. and for 300k .. can't ask for more.

CrZlKXT.png?1

I've had stocker offered to me a few times now and I can't see what he offers that you don't already have tbh :/

Let me know how you get on with him.

i'm with you. it was just way back when, was looking at "exciting" players to add once i had the solidity sorted, and he came up as really the only viable option. but he's another leftsider really, and we have too many of them already, think i'll look elsewhere. really shouldda got helenius when i could, he is big and can play amc. but i've 2 more tricks to play. they're called benteke and bannan. see what they're like in the hole before i go out and buy.

Just started a Villa save, first thing I did was sell Darren Bent to Chelsea for £20M. Ireland will soon be on his way to Southampton for a straight swap with Gaston Ramires. Has anyone had any experience with Gaston?

Archived