FM13 Aston Villa - You can't do worse than McLeish, right?

Troy Damage

• Replies 821
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Good idea... bannan didn't work out for me really, but benteke is fast becoming a top class forward.

If you fancy a marquee flair player just to add something else, try Boudjemaa, 60k and he's yours...

ramierez is well outta my league. i'll have a look at the other chap, though bannan has been a revelation as an AMC/APM.

....you know, sometimes i wish there was a feature in the game, like in matches, where your assistant would state the obvious. maybe if i had the help guide thingy switched on? thing is i've injuries to lazar and bannan now, and it just occurred to me; there isn't a physio at the club! doh!

I am about to start with Villa I think (Need something to keep me going until the update comes out for Newcastle).

Having a quick glance at the squad, it needs a fair bit of work so it could be fun :)

Saw they wanted Ireland and just made a cheeky bid which has come off :D How has Zaha done for you?

Brilliantly... my best player so far .. highest average rating, 8 goals and 11 assists from the wing, still has a lot of work to do technically (crossing, finishing, passing) but his pace and dribbling are second to none.

I am about to start with Villa I think (Need something to keep me going until the update comes out for Newcastle).

Having a quick glance at the squad, it needs a fair bit of work so it could be fun :)

Good luck with the Ty, most fun I've had so far in fm13.. love it.

Looking at the wage bill and players in the squad, I genuinely don't know where to begin. Replacements for Given, Dunne, Ireland, Bent, Zog, Hutton are needed to be able to get rid of them and get them off the wage bill. How some of them justify over and close to £50k a week is beyond me.

Bent probably the only one that justifies it, but I could use the money from him to improve the squad.

Looking at the wage bill and players in the squad, I genuinely don't know where to begin. Replacements for Given, Dunne, Ireland, Bent, Zog, Hutton are needed to be able to get rid of them and get them off the wage bill. How some of them justify over and close to £50k a week is beyond me.

Bent probably the only one that justifies it, but I could use the money from him to improve the squad.

yep wages can be trimmed no problem. i personally offload Gabby instead, Bent is too useful, i can review in January. Ireland is good on a good day, but has far too few of those......

you know there's always the editor if you want all the Newcastle French signings, like, NOW! dread to think how bad things could get tuesday...........

Just started a Villa save, first thing I did was sell Darren Bent to Chelsea for £20M. Ireland will soon be on his way to Southampton for a straight swap with Gaston Ramires. Has anyone had any experience with Gaston?

ireland. not sure. will keep for now, but i could do with freeing up some extra funds, i've been shopping:)) have a decent left side of the field the rest is a little shaky....

Nah, I hate editing things myself, much prefer official updates.

Never, ever liked Ireland IRL, so he can GTFO out of my Villa team for all I care. Gabby is way too overpowered to not be in the Villa team, so he can stay.

Same here Ty,

Villa have a lot of expensive luxuries that just don't kop it in my team.

N'Zog, Bent, Ireland, Dunne, Hutton and co were the first to go.

Only gabby left who would have been sold this window (december 1st season) but he got injured so can't get rid yet.

Nah, I hate editing things myself, much prefer official updates.

Never, ever liked Ireland IRL, so he can GTFO out of my Villa team for all I care. Gabby is way too overpowered to not be in the Villa team, so he can stay.

can't lose Hutton, alas. Maybe in Jan?

I'll make a decision on Ireland before 31/8 but his attributes are good and i need more goals/assists. But really looking at Bannan now if i want a reliable AMC.

I've never really rated Gabby. If he ever scores 15 a season, fine, but til then? And that's money i could do with. Almost as much as Bent, who will sneak goals when i need goals.

Me, love the editor. I've managed to keep villa as the "x"th biggest team in the prem yet had my expectations changed to "staying up!"

Same here Ty,

Villa have a lot of expensive luxuries that just don't kop it in my team.

N'Zog, Bent, Ireland, Dunne, Hutton and co were the first to go.

Only gabby left who would have been sold this window (december 1st season) but he got injured so can't get rid yet.

Dunne is sturdy backup, but Zogs for 10m? bit their hands off......

so, have started my second season (6th in first, but didn't qualify for Europe) and sitting nicely in 2nd place after seven rounds. No losses - four wins, three draws.

Building the squad around real team players with high determination, teamwork, workrate and if possible concentrecation levels. Plus: as I'm using high pressure game everyone has to have at least decent stamina. Paying off so far - team fights socks off all 90 minutes and we've grabbed some vital wins (or managed to hold on) in the very end.

Have mainly tried to avoid usual suspects and bought in players who I guess will match with my formula and demands as a manager.

Main players ATM:

GK: Guzan, Sommer

DR: Coleman, Lowton (Reo-Coker)

DL, wing-back: De Ceglie, Masilela

DC: Vlaar, Galeano, Clark

DMC: Xavi Torres, Reo-Coker, Makoun

MC: Hiljemark (Reo-Coker, Gardner)

MR: Matt Phillips, Albrighton

AML: Bottinelli, G. Moreno, Bannan

AMC: Melikson, Moreno, Bottinelli

ST: Bent, Benteke (Weimann, Moreno)

On loan (imporant players): Agbonlahor (at Spurs with an option), El Ahmadi, Hutton, Bowery, Bennett, Burke.

Any ideas for the next window?

Just finished the 19/20 season and finished 5th in the end after being 4th in my last post, slipped off the pace after having a tough run of games.

On the up side though here is the young player of the year in the premier league and he was also nominated for world player of the year too.

2zz3ipj.png

Looking to buy a replacement for Adryan before the season starts and offload him before he leaves on a free at the end of the season, after refusing to pay his wage demands.

Will update again in the January transfer window.

Want to try out players I haven't used before on this Villa save.

Haven't looked at anyone else's transfers either so that they are all my own. Can possibly swap N'Zogbia for any Southampton or Wolves player currently, nobody will pay in full for him.

Want to try out players I haven't used before on this Villa save.

Haven't looked at anyone else's transfers either so that they are all my own. Can possibly swap N'Zogbia for any Southampton or Wolves player currently, nobody will pay in full for him.

I got full 9M from Fulham after good 1st season.

I've had a major overhaul so far. £34m sold (8 players, 3 loaned out), with £23m spent (8 players bought, 5 loaned in).

Huge squad now which could cope with injuries. Pretty strong first team line-up as well.

Also; every player that I have bought (except one, Cork) is a player I haven't used on FM13 yet :) happy with that.

Yeah, when I have played a few games into the season I will.

Really after a top goalkeeper, Given has gone and left Guzan. My last transfer and probably the most important. £5m in the bank.

I have tried all the decent looking (attribute wise, no homo) young GK's from Brazil, all want way too much. Rafael and Fabio couldn't afford.

Guzan just had a solid game against Norwich in my first win and first game of the season :)

Ohh nice, I went with players I never did before as well, loving it so far.

Will you be posting an update on your transfers etc?

agree with you both. always has to be new players, and for me, players others haven't signed! pretty happy with the leagues i've loaded, esp. germany and france L2. though the scandinavians are still tops!

I have tried all the decent looking (attribute wise, no homo) young GK's from Brazil, all want way too much. Rafael and Fabio couldn't afford.

Guzan just had a solid game against Norwich in my first win and first game of the season :)

guzan (tho slightly tweaked due to his form IRL this year) is my no.1, developing a young french GK. reckon guzan has it all ~ handling maybe suspect but can deal with balls thru the middle or in the air. just my opinion. like him IRL.

for a cheapie GK backup to Guzan there's Wiland?

EDIT: Actually ignore that. forgot, you're challenging, i have to beat the drop is all. different aspirations!

guess y'all won't be on here 'til much later judging by the time of some of those posts last night;)

hmmm, struggling with goalscorers and what to do. ireland is SO fragile yet has some really decent attributes. Bent- such good anticipation and a clinical finisher and intelligent. but 30m for the pair? it's a tough one.

TEMPTED with Viatri as a cheaper and like-for-like replacement for Bent. Gonna need some serious team cohesion because i forget sometimes that the likes of Benteke and Vlaar are "new" to the squad too.

Benteke: again a tweak of mine, been reading the rumours for a couple of months so played with his loyalty ages ago. so am expecting him to have a blinding season then sell him.

Helenius a decent replacement but i've also Ondrasek (500k, can't complain, tromso) and Joe Mason who i'll try in a deeper role. Lacks the strength but looks good all round and him and Weimann up front could be the future...... Actually got plenty of options in that area.

Well the transfer window has just slammed shut, flogged £22.5M worth of players and only brought in £14M worth leaving me £4M for January.

OUT

Bent - Chelsea - £20M

Holman - Vittesse - Ln fee £160K p/m

Bowery - Charlton - Ln fee £12k p/m

Ireland - Southampton - p/ex for Gaston Ramirez

Stevens - Derby - Ln fee £5k p/m

Warnock - Sunderland - £2.5M

Williams - Southend - Loan

Devine - Macclesfield - Loan

Johnson - Notts County - Loan

Lichaj - MK Dons - Loan

INS

Gaston Ramirez p/ex for Ireland

Will Hughes - £3.5M

Raul Albiol - Loan

Mason Bennett - £3.4M

Jetro Willems - £6M

Adryan - £875k

Have never used any of the guys I brought in before except Albiol and Adryan. I think I overpaid for Willems but I didn't like the look of Warnock or his wages. I'll be looking to bring in Mattia Perin in january and offload Given, Gabby and Zogs then too.

First game of the season ended 0-0 at home to Stoke, can't complain with a clean sheet. In the second game we went 3-0 up away at Norwich but had scares in the 81st minute when Lowton scored an OG and then in the 91st minute when Holt scored. We held on thankfully to win 3-2.

We got dumped on our asses in the Capital One Cup 2nd round losing on penalties to Ipswich. We were 2-0 up but two mistakes from Vlaar (gtfo of my club) allowed Scotland to score twice.

doing some streamlining myself.

having a bit of a "french" morning too. bit like newcastle but on a far, far more modest scale. STILL got Delph, reckoned if i cut down his CF and long shots he could add sthg. but i've been looking at stambouli, payot, ayasse, frikeche. the latter think i'll get. decent potential ball-winning midfielder alongside clark. stambouli is just a carbon copy of clark, shame, like but don't need. payot getting funny about money, ayasse not interested. still, always happy i've loaded FR L2.

Costin Lazar, sure, but he's getting on, and we need cover.

I'm gonna save money because i'm not looking, yet, at really technically gifted players, i have marcel lucassen as coach, will focus on technique after the fitness and team cohesion, and really should start looking at french coaches.........

'rse. Need to think. Stambouli. A clark lookalike but one in defence, one midfield. hmmm. thinking is clark can go into central defence with Strandberg, the Rock. Stambouli as midfield general and at least will communicate well with any of those french kids i bring in. Delay transfer and think? think NOW? awfully difficult, really trying to spend v.little money and 6.5m for stambouli could have been overdoing it. not all upfront but still. just see huge potential.........

After my next game 0-0 against Spurs (away), well happy with that result. I have 7 points from 3 games and happy to do a little update.

Playing a flat 442, very similar to welshace, with a 4411 for shutting up shop when winning away from home and a 424 to push against teams to try and grab a goal.

My main aim was to completely transform the midfield. Better wingers and better CM's.

Transfers In

Royston Drenthe - Free - £15k a week, perfect replacement for N'Zogbia. Bargain.

Sébastien Squillaci - Loan - £25k a week, old but on loan so his decline isn't a worry to me. He is a great player now and that is what we need.

Jonathan - Loan - £9k a week for a class RB who can also play RM. Will get a lot of game time this year either at RB or filling in at RM against tougher oppositions.

Anthony Vanden Borre - Free - Utility player who can cover every defensive and midfield position on the pitch. Snapped up for £11k a week.

Craig Gordon - Free - Has a lot of injury problems but he will be back up for Guzan until January at the least. Free and on £10k a week, perfect.

Vaclav Kadlec - £8m - Activated his release clause as I needed another poacher type striker. Replaced Bent on £22.5k a week, almost £40k off wage bill.

Jack Cork - P/Ex N'Zogbia - Was a full exchange, no cash swapped hands from either side. Cork will dominated the midfield hopefully as vice captain.

Lorenzo Ariaudo - £1.7m - Handy covering CB (even LB), was initially going for Astori but realised he was out of my range and found this bargain on £22k a week.

Victor Wanyama - £9.75m - The big money signing was the dominant CM from Kenya. Needed a bully in the CM spot next to Cork/Gardner. £42k a week but a star player.

Léonard Kweuke - £3.2m - Why I haven't used this guy before is beyond me, £3.2m and a power house. Perfect for rotating with Benteke on £25k a week.

Roy Beerens - Loan - Needed a more attacking option for RM and found Roy, paying not even £4k a week in wages and he scored on his debut, awesome.

Urby Emanuelson - Loan - Paying £22k a week but he adds more strength to the LM situation. Could be a great battle who starts out of Drenthe and Urby.

Paolo De Ceglie - Loan - £19k a week for a high class LB for a season, I'll take that. Ceglie will be deployed in the more attacking 424, rather than the balanced 442.

Now have a decent sized squad which can handle injuries to any star player (would be gutted to lose Wanyama though). My transfers out are here; Click. The reason behind most of them are either old, earning too much or not needed. Simple!

My first 4 games have all gone well, wish we had punished Norwich a bit more though but 1-0 away is fine.

c1907c762e9b231334e381bf7f9ef423.png

I had some terrible results to begin with as the team gelled and I tweaked my tactic .. now I can't stop winning.

Still 2nd in the league. BUT

Chr0oTI.png?1

GODAMN Chico.... he was a wonderkid too :(

Suppose it might be a blessing in a heavily set disguise... gives me a chance to throw in Siebe...

I had some terrible results to begin with as the team gelled and I tweaked my tactic .. now I can't stop winning.

Still 2nd in the league. BUT

Chr0oTI.png?1

GODAMN Chico.... he was a wonderkid too :(

Suppose it might be a blessing in a heavily set disguise... gives me a chance to throw in Siebe...

sad, but also in my current game (didn't sign him) I've seen him being some 3 x 3 month injury lay-off's during bit more than a season. So, naturally verrrry injury-prone by SI.

FINALLY a win, home against Sunderland. 1-0 in the 85th minute... BUT WE'LL TAKE IT!

A nice run of games now, Fulham, QPR, Reading and Stoke to try and get atleast 6 points from! Would much prefer 7 or more though,

sad, but also in my current game (didn't sign him) I've seen him being some 3 x 3 month injury lay-off's during bit more than a season. So, naturally verrrry injury-prone by SI.

Yeah, He's 3rd choice in my team anyway, so will probably sell end of season when he comes back. Charlie Austin is fast becoming 3rd choice anyway.

Archived