Sun, Sex and Suspicous...Chairmen?

hursty2

fm-13fmcu-1.jpg

Now then, I’ve decided that I will post my career in the hustle and bustle of FMCU and am sure you will be glad of my presence for yet another year. Well, I’m more of a silent contributor… Here are some of my past threads that you may have enjoyed;

As you can tell I’ve been here a while with relatively no success, bar my last thread which got to 6 pages! My United thread was the second ever thread in this forum but I will not rest on my laurels. ;)

For FM13 I’ve decided to try my hand at a Journeyman, inspired by the likes of SRL88 and noikee, I hope to provide entertainment to everyone. (I charge by the hour.)

Enough of that, here’s my minimal set up;

MEDIUM DATABASE

Brazil – Third Division (View-Only)

England – BSN/BSS

France – Ligue 1 (View-Only)

Germany – Third Division

Italy – Serie C2

Portugal – Second Division

Spain – Liga BBVA (View-Only)

Wales – Welsh Premier

My profile

Name: Liam Hurst

DOB: 17 August 1980

Nationality: English & Australian

Favoured Club: Manchester United

There will be no real goals in this journeyman, I will try to make it as realistic as possible, moving clubs when I see fit.

119790__sc_mirandela.gif

2012/13 - SC Mirandela - Portuguese Second Division: North

Transfer Budget: 0K

Wage Budget: 3.5Kp/w

Finances: 200K

Predicted: 15th/16

I got this job after starting unemployed, taking over around 4 weeks before the end of the season. This gave me a great deal of time to assess the squad as a whole and see where I could improve for the tough season ahead. We lacked any sort of central midfielders and a decent left back so these were the first port of calls for me in the transfer market, which proved to be a tougher task than I expected. Miguel Bruno, a 37 year old left back came in on a free and despite his age would add to the team massively. Nuno Valente also came in, on loan this time from parent club SC Braga. Valente is a young CM who I expect to be a dominant force in such a low league.

We started the season on fire, winning 4 of our first 6 games, sending a message to out opponents that we are more than just relegation battlers. The best game of the run in being a 7-6 thriller against Fafe. It took a turn for the worse though, only winning 1 of the next 8 games which sent us plummeting down the table, a far reach from our quick start. But then we ended up unbeaten in the next 6 that took us back into the top 4, it was becoming a roller coaster rider but one thing that remained was the goalscoring prowess of Pio Junior. In the run we were fighting for top spot right up until the third last game of the season, where we needed to beat the top side to still have a mathematical chance of promotion and promotion means you have to win the league. The game finished 1-1, meaning that we were confined to another season in the third tier of Portugal. The lads didn't let that get to them though, putting in a stellar performance in the last game of the season, beating former powerhouse Boavista 8-1 giving the home fans a great sending off.

Results 1Results 2

SecondDivNorth.png

Stats in all competitions.

Top Scorer: PioJunior (18 goals in 30 games)

Most Assists: Pedro Borges (15 in 27 games)

Most MOMs: Pio Junior (6)

Ave Rating: Pedro Borges (7.39)

A good first season in management for me but one that won't improve my reputation all that much. On the club side of things, we lost so much money over the year leaving us 500K+ in debt and with this it saw us lose a lot of staff as they wouldn't sign new contracts. Next season will mean that I have to rebuild the whole backroom staff setup as well as bulking out the squad with frees and hopefully some more good loan signings. The board has given me 4.4K for a top half finish but I want to win the league or else this will be my last season at Mirandela because everyone's contract is coming to an end in the hope that by the end of the season I can keep the good ones for the Second League and rid of the dead wood.

Next Season

- Win the League and Promotion.

- Improve Personal Reputation.

119790__sc_mirandela.gif

2013/14 - SC Mirandela - Portuguese Second Division: North

Wage Budget: 4.6Kp/w

Finances: (200K)

Predicted: 11th/16

I was offered a one year extension and I duly accepted it, hoping for a promotion winning season. However, my staff didn’t see my vision and each one of them left at the end of their contract. So not only did I have to go out and find players, I had to find a whole new backroom!

TRANSFERS

Again we were predicted to come in the lower half of the table, ‘no promotion for you Mirandela!’ Although, it seemed as if the critics were right and after 10 games we were lying just above the relegation zone, mainly because of our inability to close out games. We had lost the lead 5 times in this period, something had to change. Despite this change we continued to put in poor performances and by the half way mark we had only won 5 games.

A proper tactical change was needed so I decided to implement a narrower, more controlling approach to games and this seemed to pay dividends in the latter half of the season. We won 9 of our next 15 games, only losing 3 times. Results including a 3-0 drubbing of third place Varzim. This saw us march up the table and hover around 4th and 5th positions, finishing 5th only 1 point behind 4th but well off top place Gondomar, who only lost 2 games the whole season.

Pio Junior and Pedro Borges were again the focal points of my team, Junior with 21 goals and Borges laying on 12. If I am to get promotion next season it will be vital to keep these two, whilst adding to the team.

Results 1Results 2

LeagueTable2013-2014.png

Top Scorer: Pio Junior (21 goals in 31 games)

Most Assists: Pedro Borges (12 in 26 games)

Most MOMs: Nuno Corunha (4)

Ave Rating: Pio Junior (7.45)

Considering I was hoping for promotion this season you could call 2014 a failure. A failure also means that my reputation won’t have risen since last season and any chance of a better job is out of the window. This means that I’m in for another season with Mirandela and again faced with the prospect of employing a new set of staff. None of them ever want to sign new contracts! All of my players contracts will expire now too, so I only plan on keeping the very best of the bunch, building a new team around them. This will be quite difficult though, with the current financial situation in the club worsening.

Next Season

- Win promotion at all costs.

- Build squad and staff for future.

You've been quite solid for the last couple of seasons.Hopefully you can build a team up from just 8 players :D
8 players are better than 7 :D

Really like your update style too- easy to follow and well presented :cool:

The team is looking much healthier now!

I like doing this update style, doesn't take much effort and is a good way to document my career. Obviously not as in depth as others but I'll add more screenies now that I've caught up with the game.

Not a bad season all things considered. I'm finding this version of FM more difficult to scratch out wins, but that's probably more realistic...even if I am pulling out my hair...

119790__sc_mirandela.gif

2014/15 - SC Mirandela - Portuguese Second Division: North

Wage Budget: 5.6Kp/w

Finances: (100K)

Predicted: 11th/16

Again I was offered an one year extension and I accepted it, hopefully for the last time in the Portuguese Second Division. I was very dubious about doing so though, we had only retained 8 first team players from last season so signing anyone half decent. We were reduced to signing amateur players from the lower leagues and taking a gamble on them.

TRANSFERS

You may think that it takes a while for a side to gel but from our first 15 games we managed to produce 8 wins. Albeit with an heir of inconsistency, never winning more than two games on the trot. This was not helped by Premier League side Trofense coming in for our top goal scorer of the past two seasons, Pio Junior. It was a move that I couldn’t block, given he has the chance to prove himself on the top stage. Whether he gets game time is a different matter.

Going off of the first half of the season a serious title challenge was still in the equation, we looked good in patches and all we had to do was find some consistency. Well, that didn’t happen and we absolutely capitulated earning only 20 points from a possible 45, draws becoming a regular occurrence for Mirandela. There was nothing that I could do to change this, my defence was leaking goals and I couldn’t find a prolific striker to go with. We were destined for another lack lustre finish.

In the end we came in 6th position, signalling a downward path from my first season. Second, fifth and now sixth means that it could be then end of my Mirandela journey. Can I possibly take them any further?

Enosh Osadejor was by best goal scorer, adding 12 goals to his career tally but the new signing didn’t replace the void left by Junior. Cilmar was easily the best of my signings and the best player in the side, with 7 goals and 7 assists, leading the way from the wings.

Results 1Results 2

LeagueTable2015.png

Top Scorer: Enosh Osadejor (12 goals in 26 games)

Most Assists: Cilmar (7 in 26 games)

Most MOMs: Cilmar (4)

Ave Rating: Cilmar (7.19)

It was a very average season for us this year. Building a new squad proved to be as tough as I’d expected but I still hoped that we would at least challenge for promotion. Getting out of this league has been very tough and this could very well be my last attempt at doing so. Mirandela has clearly reached a natural peak and the club is just not ready to progress any further. We are 220K in the red and rely on constant injections from the board and by no means are prepared for promotion. I honestly don’t see myself staying on any longer.

Next Season

- Promotion with Mirandela?

- Find a new club to build and progress with.

- Improve reputation.

- Earn a better wage, football is too stressful to be paid 300 a week.

A tough season hursty2 but I still think you did well considering the financial situation and the loss of your top scorer. It seems the club don't have the ambition to push on get/provide the necessary financial backing (just look at the club logo for example - with those big pixels, it looks like something straight out of a 1980s computer game, which is probably when they commissioned it :D)

Hurst Shocks Mirandela Familia

HurstQuits.png

SC Mirandela manager Liam Hurst has sent shock waves throughout the small Portuguese town this morning as the club announced his immediate resignation. The club issued this small statement this morning.

"Liam has chosen to to leave the club after three seasons in charge and we would like to thank him for his service. His management style has seen us progress into genuine promotion challengers and we hope that we can find someone else that will continue in the same vein."

Hurst also decided to take to his Twitter account to announce the news to his 100 followers: @liamhurst_19 Thankyou Portugal, it's been a blast, definitely gonna miss the sun though!

Hurst's record over his three season speaks volume of his talent as a manager but also shows that he hasn't been able to produce when it mattered most. Over his 94 games as manager he won 43 games, a win percentage of 45% nothing to be ashamed of. He will take much knowledge from his first stint in management and could soon find himself in another management role.

MirandelaStats.png

A tough season hursty2 but I still think you did well considering the financial situation and the loss of your top scorer. It seems the club don't have the ambition to push on get/provide the necessary financial backing (just look at the club logo for example - with those big pixels, it looks like something straight out of a 1980s computer game, which is probably when they commissioned it :D)

It does look as if it was done by one of them sketch board things. :D

Thanks for the encouragement but where next I wonder?

gavorrano.gif

U.S. Gavorrano – Italian Serie C2/B

31st January 2016

After almost 8 months without a club I have finally found a club willing to take me on and it is not much of a step up from Portugal. Surprisingly the club is operating at professional status and they have given me a full time contract worth 850 pounds a week. Now that’s much better.

Year Founded: 1930

Nickname: Rossoblu

Fierce Rivals: None

Other Rivals: Follonica, Grosseto

Stadium: Romeo Malservisi – Mario Matteini

Year Built: 1964

Capacity: 2500 All-Seater

Training: Fairly Basic

Youth: Basic

Corporate: None

Junior Coaching: Basic

Youth Recruitment: Basic

Current League Standing

StartingPos.png

Best Player – Gianluca Romiti (WB/L)

GRomiti.png

This job suits me right down to a tee, I love playing in Italy and the team is pretty decent for this level so I should have no problem surviving at first, maybe even push for a playoff spot. The only thing I see being a problem here is the massive overspending on our wages, with a couple of players on 1K a week in the 4th tier of Italy.

Here's to Italia!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived