FM13: Newcastle United - Alan Pardew and The Eight Year Plan.

tommonufc

32 Coloccini

28 Debuchy, Cabaye, Tiote, Taylor

They're the oldest in the side, then you go into looking at Krul, HBA, Lallana! #youthful

Recon I could field a very decent U21 side..

Alnwick

Shaw

Umtiti

Streete

Haidara

Pogba

Hughes

Redmond

Fischer

El Shaarawy

Benzia/Campbell

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is going to be a great year. Still mid-September (will do an update post at the end of September because I played only two games in August) but I've not conceded a single goal in my first 6, I've won all of them but 1 (at Chelsea, 0-0) and Stevan Jovetic is just unplayable at the minute. Playing Sporting CP there and he plays one of the best chipped passes ever to set up Lallana for 1-0, scores himself to make it 2-0 and then skins two defenders before selflessly turning his back to the keeper and laying the ball off for Sissoko to pass into an empty net. Just incredible at the minute. Changing him from a Trequartista to a Complete Forward Attack was the best thing I've ever done for this side :D

Oh and Kyriakos Papadopoulos :cool: He and Yanga-Mbiwa are like walls at the back. Currently 7.60 for Papa who has played 5 of the 6 whereas Yanga-Mbiwa is at 7.77 having played 6 of the 6. Just immense together. I thought MY-M and Colo were great together but this is just other worldly stuff at the minute.

EDIT: Ugh. Game just crashed. No idea when I last saved. I hope it was after that Sporting game (hadn't played another since) but I fear it might be back in August which will be gutting.

e: Just prior to the Sporting game. Quite relieved. Will take any result as long as it's a victory. If I manage to get another clean sheet though I'll be well chuffed.

3-0 again :cool: Jovetic brace and Sissoko for the third. No Jovetic assists this time but hey ho, least we got the win and clean sheet huh.

Still in pre-season at the moment. Trawling through scout reports, setting up training, tutoring, finding this years tutors, loaning out players - taking forever!

On the plus, just signed Frank Lampard! Had him playing in the Premier League at 40 with Portsmouth on last years game - cracking tutor as well.

8576011170_13490f0686_b.jpg

Yeaaaah. England got knocked out in the 2nd round of the 2014 WC, which meant Roy Hodgson's contract was obviously not renewed.

In the past I've quickly lost interest pretty quickly with International management, preferring to plow on with my league campaign rather than managing Qualifying games away in Tallinn, or deepest darkest Kazakhstan.

Should be interesting though - looking forward to managing Wayne Rooney. Got some fantastic players in Rooney, Wilshere, Hart. Plus the players I'm starting to produce, Will Hughes, Nathan Redmond, Adam Campbell, Streete.. yeah that's right, the sides to be filled with Toon players!

Shall finally be able to cap Steven Taylor as well!

Will also be able to get heads up of the next England talent coming through - so I can head back to Newcastle and go and poach them from other academies.

8576065856_658c3e870b_b.jpg8576065892_2cbb07aa64_b.jpg

Already eyeing a squad that will line up in France for the next Euros;

Hart

Walker -- Streete -- Jones -- Shaw

Redmond -- Hughes -- Wilshere -- Ward-Prowse -- Chamerlain

Rooney

The summer transfer window has slammed shut and these are the transfers that we made in the first transfer window.

transfersinpartoneinsea.jpg

I have also agreed to sign Will Hughes in the January transfer window for £4.7m, I tried to sign him on deadline day but needed the funds from the Marveaux transfer which didn't go through in time.

The players that were signed on free transfers after the transfer deadline were signed as tutors for the youngsters and aren't anywhere near first team class.

Nice signings :thup: Redmond, Parades, and Hughes have all turned out brilliantly for me - still waiting on Bakkali, he's 18 at the moment, so couple of years away from being the near finished product I'd say - he's proved the trickiest to develop, but certainly has potential to be great.

Took a look at my squad and needed to trim it slighly I thought. Offered out Big Vurn for £40M - and have had a few takers. Benfica offering up £37M :p Whether they have that sort of cash, I'll soon find out.

That will fund my two signings of Nathaniel Chalobah and Josh McEachran from Chelsea. Need to save their careers before it's too late! Their English, and extremely talented, and I'm even hungrier for a fully home grown XI in Champions League now.

The only player that I haven't signed before on FM is Bakkali so I know with tutoring and some game time they will come at the very least be good Premier League players.

I can't see Benfica have that much cash to spend on one player unless they have had a tycoon takeover, but it's a very nice offer for little Vurn.

I have had Nathaniel Chalobah and Josh McEachran on various saves and Chalobah always turns out to be a world class centre back, I haven't had the same sucess with McEachran though but thats probably been because it's been to late to try and resurrect his carrer.

After having an absolute mare with FM13 do far, I am going to try a Newcastle save and hopefully rekindle my love for the game once more.

Will update on here on how I am doing but so far:

I've sold:

Tiote £22m

Ryan Taylor £3.5M

Nile Ranger Loan to buy

Dan Gosling Loan to buy

Shola Ameobi Loan to buy

Mike Williamson £2.6M

Also got a couple of the youngsters out on loan.

Close to wrapping up the signing of Abel Hernandez for £10M as well as Nathan Redmond for £5.5M. I also think I'll get Wanyama to replace Tiote. I've read through this thread and I realise selling Tiote is an unpopular move. I was persuaded by the offer though, plus I think Wanyama won't be too far off him in a couple of years.

Anyway I will update again in January probably.

Not really - Tiote can be perfect for many reasons but he makes silly passes and often gets caught out of place at the wrong time.

I would be happy to have both but when Tiote wants to play first team football, but Anita is a better player, I have to play one more than the other, thus costing Tiote his place and causing him unhappiness. Best to sell when I can rather than let him grow unhappy. Mariga is happy to play back-up on half the wage and is better anyway... I know what I'd rather have.

I've never sold a player in my history of FM purely on the basis that he would be unhappy. I've often had over-sized squads, but as long as you are winning matches, getting players game time, they're going to be happy.

It will all depend on the style of play you want to have your team use, but Tiote is the superior defensive midfielder - Anita is a ball player, that is best used in deeper positions. Both have their qualities, and as I said earlier in the thread, they are two different sorts of player.

As it happens, both Anita and Tiote are two of the stronger players in the Newcastle squad you start of with, should be a cause for great celebration - not a sign to sell, sell, sell; yes, you have Cabaye, and now Sissoko as options in the center of midfield but I don't see why you'd weaken your position, only to then go and try and strengthen it again with an enferior product - i.e selling Tiote, and getting Wanyama - if you want a ball winner, and defensive midfielder - keep Tiote.

I know people like to make transfers as soon as they take control of a club, and very often that's not needed - as in reality, the transfers have already been made; that's why you often get very small transfer budgets. So to raise funds people sell players - that's understandable, I've done the same. When I look at strengthening a side in this way, I'll look to strengthen the weak areas of the squad. This was done by selling Gutierrez was £15M, and this money was used to buy relevant players to strengthen the squad in the previously weaker areas.

Yes, I've Newcastle United supporter bias - but I wouldn't go manage Real Madrid, see that Luka Modric or Benzema weren't getting in my starting XI, and want to sell - I'd see that as a position of power, by having strength in depth.

But as you have to end with any discussion such as this, people can play the game how they like, and I guess that is the beauty of FM at the end of the day.

On the topic of Tiote making silly passes, and getting caught out - I've now played two seasons, with attack minded football (high mentality and high CF) and not once can I recall him continually making silly passes or getting caught out - so I wouldn't say he's more prone to these sorts of things than any other player. At the end of the day it will all be down to ones managerial ability, and how you use a certain player. Similar explanation to one previous poster claiming he gets yellow cards too often, and gets sent off - take actions against that by lowering tackling etc.

2015/16 - Season Update - We're going through changes

I'll start by apologising this is going to be a pretty long, waffly update.....sorry :D

A league title and FA Cup the previous season was proving something of a double edged sword during the close season. On one had it showed I had a pretty strong squad and probably wouldn't need to do much tinkering to be challenging in once things got underway again, on the other several players had been in impressive form, were attracting attention from big spenders, some were looking for new challenges and their agents were getting itchy for big money deals.

Outbound deals:

I'd decided at the start of this save that I was going to be really strict on the wage front and try and avoid having any players earning over £100k a week for as long as possible. Pretty much straight away after the end of the season I was facing a challenge on that front with two of my best players in Tiote and Hatem Ben Arfa. Both had been asking for new contract for a while and I'd done my best to keep them happy, but now neither were willing to lower their wage demands below that 100k mark. The lowest I could get Tiote to accept would have been £125k a week, while Ben Arfa was looking for in excess of £140k. In the end I decided not to sacrifice my original plan. Ben Arfa became unhappy at not being offered a new deal and was starting to complain, but Tiote didn't seem quite so put out so I'd planned to keep him and keep playing him until his existing contract ran out or he was willing to discuss more sensible terms. However we got an offer in mid June that changed my mind and completely gobsmacked me.

Arsenal put in a bid of only £1.6million in cash for Tiote, but they included Jack Wilshere as an exchange :eek:. I'd been chasing him for the last two seasons so I didn't take too long to decide to accept the offer and was delighted to find that Wilshere was willing to sign for a wage of £63k a week, half of what Tiote wanted to extend his contract. I think it's ended up being a pretty good deal for both clubs, we get a very talented young English player with plenty room to develop further and Arsenal get some real strength and steel in their midfield (They actually got off to a really poor start in the league that cost Aguirre his job, but they've recovered somewhat, and Tiote has actually been their best performer throughout).

Javier Aguirre obviously favoured a different approach to Wenger when it comes to spending cash at Arsenal, having already secured them Falcao the previous year, it was the Gunners who led the pack when I decided to bite the bullet and sell Ben Arfa in August. I'd spent June and July trying to agree a new contract for him that didn't involve silly money in wages (and also searching and scouting for potential replacements) but eventually gave up. I could have kept him and kept playing him without the new contract, but he was showing signs of becoming disruptive and I didn't want to risk the effect on squad harmony. I ended up offering him out and several clubs made bids that we accepted, including PSG (inevitably), Chelsea and Arsenal. He accepted terms with Arsenal and we pocketed a fee of £34 million in total (not all of it upfront though).

We had a few other departures in between those two major deals with Gabriel Obertan heading off to QPR for £3.5 million, several players heading out on loan and Papiss Cisse heading back to Germany after I decided to accept a bid from Bayern for him. They offered a fee that will rise to £17.25 mill including clauses for goals, appearances and caps which I decided was good enough as I wanted to give Brabec and Campbell more starts this season and figured Cisse was too good a player to be happy appearing mostly as a sub. (He's fitting in pretty well there so far, their top scorer by November with 8 goals in 16 games).

Inbound Deals:

The first major arrival of the summer was obviously Jack Wilshere who came in as part of the deal with Arsenal for Tiote and I was pretty delighted to land him as I'd been targetting him for 2 seasons already. Fantastic ability and he can cover pretty much any midfield position, gaining Wilshere would make the eventual decision to sell Ben Arfa a little more bearable. The next day saw Douglas Costa arrive from Brazilian club Botafogo for a fee of £13.25 million. I've never managed him on FM before, but I'd scouted him as backup for HBA (and possible replacement if things turned out as they did with Ben Arfa's contract talks). He's another fantastic dribbler, and with even higher Long Shots ability I'm hoping he'll provide a similar goal threat to HBA cutting in from the right flank.

Costa was going to be my only major signing of the summer if I ended up not selling Ben Arfa, so my next couple of deals were done far more cheaply. I brought back a couple of the loanees who served us well in winning the title. Fernando Torres came in on another loan deal, but this time for only £35k a month fee and 10% of his wages. Martin Montoya we snapped up permanently for the fairly cheap price of £2.8 million to provide cover/competition to Debuchy at right back. At the start of August I was very happy to complete the free signing of Nemanja Vidic who'd been released by Man Utd, he's now 34 but still looks a fantastic option at centre back and like Frank Lampard should prove to be a very useful tutor for a season or two.

After the deal for HBA was concluded I decided to use the cash to first of strengthen squad depth on the left wing and ended up signing a lad who seems to be a popular signing on this thread. Viktor Fischer ended up costing me £18.5 million to prise away from Ajax, which I think might be an excessive fee, but my scouts were all rating him as a definite purchase. I also tried to conclude deals for Ross Barkley and Nathaniel Clyne but was put off by the prices Everton and Southampton wanted.

Another player I'd scouted as a potential replacement for HBA became available when Willian requested a move from Shakhtar and I decided not to pass up the opportunity. He evntually signed on the last day of the window after we had to appeal his work permit decision. We also landed Lorenzo Crisetig on the last day of the window for £5 million. I ended up putting a bid in for him as Nainggolan broke his foot and was due to be out for about three months. The young Irish regen I'd signed 2 seasons ago who was his natural replacement has also proved to be rather injury prone and Bigirimanna was also crocked, so I decided cover was needed and Crisetig was available for reasonable price.

Results so far

newcastleunitedfixtures.png

We've again gotten off to a very solid start and in all competitions this time, managing to avoid defeat so far in the league, making it to the Quarter Final stages of the League Cup and securing qualification to the knockout stages in Europe with a game left. Wilshere, Douglas Costa and Willian have all settled fairly quickly and been chipping in with goals and assists while the young strikers Brabec and Campbell are showing signs of forming a really useful partnership when we play 2 upfront.

We've drawn a few games we really should have won, but I can't grumble too much as we have the only undefeated record in the league at the moment, despite Man Utd only conceding a measly 3 goals so far they still lost a match. The draws though mean that Man Utd are narrowly on top at the moment, but there's a long, long way to go of course.

The Table so far

englishpremierdivisionoq.png

The Future

I signed two very highly recommended young regens in my first season in charge and they've been developing very nicely. Both look to be ready to have a real impact this season and along with the talents of Wilshere and Campbell should mean we have some potential world class talent in the squad moving on.

manuvargasoverviewprofi.png

Vargas was signed to potentially be our Michu when I first saw him and after a slow start and a couple of injury problems he really started to blossom toward the back of last season. He has only made a couple of assists in his 11 appearances so far this season, but he has notched up 4 goals as well. With his high passing, crossing, dribbling and creativity, I'm hoping he'll become even more productive as I tweak his role and instructions in my tactic.

jiribrabecoverviewprofi.png

This lad is the reason I decided not to bring Andy Carroll back to SJP when I was offered the chance. The Large to Adam Campbell's Little, he's really started to shine this season with 8 goals from 10 starts. He's big, powerful, good in the air but as you can see from his other attributes he's also got a lot more to offer.

I've never sold a player in my history of FM purely on the basis that he would be unhappy. I've often had over-sized squads, but as long as you are winning matches, getting players game time, they're going to be happy.

It will all depend on the style of play you want to have your team use, but Tiote is the superior defensive midfielder - Anita is a ball player, that is best used in deeper positions. Both have their qualities, and as I said earlier in the thread, they are two different sorts of player.

As it happens, both Anita and Tiote are two of the stronger players in the Newcastle squad you start of with, should be a cause for great celebration - not a sign to sell, sell, sell; yes, you have Cabaye, and now Sissoko as options in the center of midfield but I don't see why you'd weaken your position, only to then go and try and strengthen it again with an enferior product - i.e selling Tiote, and getting Wanyama - if you want a ball winner, and defensive midfielder - keep Tiote.

Yes, I've Newcastle United supporter bias - but I wouldn't go manage Real Madrid, see that Luka Modric or Benzema weren't getting in my starting XI, and want to sell - I'd see that as a position of power, by having strength in depth.

But as you have to end with any discussion such as this, people can play the game how they like, and I guess that is the beauty of FM at the end of the day.

I get the feeling you're not gonna be too happy with my last update then Tommo :lol:

I accept that its all down to personal opinion but getting a disruptive player is not something I ever want. I've succeeded plenty of times managing a team of first teamers and back-ups. I guess we differ in our stances on power. I don't like to hold players against their will which is why I sell players who I know will grow unhappy (Cabaye, Tiote, Coloccini). Its just our differing style. I have Mariga who is good enough to play back-up but step into the first team when necessary and I have Anita who starts most but can sit out when tired/not performing and he's happy to do that. Trying to give two first teamers plenty of gametime will lead to one of three situations: 1. Unhappy players; 2. One player not getting enough time if the other is too good; 3. One player being so good that the other is pushed out (similar to point two).

At the end of the day, FM is what you make of it and so its never something anyone should criticise another over. We all have our separate playing styles and thankfully, the community here is respectful about other player's decisions :thup:

Wholeheartedly agree with the last statement, at all times I've tried to stay respectful in mind that each player can and rightfully does play the game in their own way. My final comment would be one that having managed a player, in Tiote, over many saves in last two games, I've had nothing but success with him - so to see people instantly sell him off knowing full well how good a player he is, and will become irks me.

After all, we all post up in these threads to strike up comment, discussion and debate - we can't always be telling everyone how fantastically they are doing can we :lol:

As it happens, Tiote isn't getting a look in at the moment in my midfield. Cabaye, Wilshere, Sissoko look to a force to be reckoned with against the middling to lower sides. Tiote will be used in rotation, and in the games where I have to be slightly more tactically switched on - tough European games, Man City fixtures; he's sort of my Darren Flecther!

Loaned a lot of my squad out now, JWP, Bigi, Mason Bennett, Jon Williams all gone out on loan. Two wins from two in the league. Krul was injured for the Community shield, so played Anlwick against Man City, and he couldn't save a thing. Lost that 6-3! European Super cup, beat Inter 1-0 in Cardiff City Stadium. Had two England games, Mexico and Slovenia - drawing both 0-0. Every player's confidence is shot to bits after the WC, so drafted in more or less a new line XI. Handed first caps to Luke Shaw, Will Hughes, Steven Taylor, Jack Cork already. Just about to kick of EC16 qualifying against Ukraine.

When will people stop selling Tiote! ffs! :mad::mad::mad:

In all fairness Tommo, I like bringing in my own players at the start. Whether they are better or not, I think my overall transfers I've improved the strength in depth in the team to be honest.

I also sold Ben Arfa for £15 Million and have bought in Toby Alderweireld and Tony Watt.

Continuing to build a young squad who I think will develop into a very good team .

£15M is a criminally low sale price on Ben Arfa though - especially for the sides best player. Tony Watt's a good signing, squad is need of another option up front, but didn't really need another first choice center back.

£15M is a criminally low sale price on Ben Arfa though - especially for the sides best player. Tony Watt's a good signing, squad is need of another option up front, but didn't really need another first choice center back.

He got injured on his first game, and reading through this a few people have had a few injuries with him. Hence the sale.

I am looking to bring in Andrea Poli, what do you think? I am quite heavy in midfield but I beat Arsenal 1-0 at Emirates with a 5 man midfield, we managed to limit them to long shots and although they had more possession, we managed to hit them on the break and get the win. Using fullbacks attacking ability well, I think I need to think how we can keep the ball better.

Currently playing with a 4-5-1 with 3 centre midfielders. Normally Sissoko Wanyama Cabaye, but I have Sissoko playing attacking advanced midfielder, also have Cisse as deeplying midfielder. It also means I can move Sissoko up to Attacking mid if I am lacking attacking wise.

What you think about Poli, worth £10 mill?

Well I went for Poli anyway, I think the key to my success is this midfield. It's looking strong and all of them have really good potential. I think my weakest area is the wings but we'll see how it goes.

Just got Adem Ljajic for £9 Mill on transfer deadline day as well. Not a bad transfer window I don't think.

Poli, yeah, can be very good player. Would say that Cabaye essentially does the same role for the team, and defensivly much better (this is without looking at Poli's stats).

I've found a flat 4-1-4-1 to work perfectly, a much more balanced approach to playing a 4-3-3 formation. You can essentially have the 4-5-1 move into a 4-2-3-1 in attack, but in defence the wingers will track back much better.

Cabaye (DPL(S)) : Wayama (BWM(D)) - Sissoko (AM(A)) >> that's probably the best approach you could take, certainly one I'd advise.

My two pence on Ben Arfa would say that he's not injury prone at all, so think you've jumped the gun a bit there, and probably made a massive mistake in all respect.

I am struggling slightly with my tactics. Beat Arsenal 1-0 but since lost to Villa and QPR 3-1 and 4-1. I've had to stop the fullback going up the pitch so much as well as using opposition instructions every game. See how it works, but it's beginning to frustrate.

I am slightly new with tactics, I've always been one to download the Super Tactics. This year I've been trying to do my own tactics but consistently failing miserably and end up giving up. It's put me off FM13 to be honest, because generally I like building squads and growing clubs more than tweaking tactics every game. I just find it pretty frustrating.

Anyway this is the tactic I've been trying to use

NewcastleUnited_TacticsOverview.png

and the Team Instructions

NewcastleUnited_TacticsTeam.png

Couple of questions

Do you adapt you're tactics after every game?

Do you use shouts a lot of the time?

ANy help would be great because I would love a decent save to get my head around FM13. Oh yeah just lost to Swansea 4-0, it's going tits up.

Okay..

Not every game, no; but the games where I know the opposition are of the ability where by they can stop my game to a great extent - yes. Example would be playing against Manchester City. They play the 4-2-3-1, and get their full backs extremely high up the pitch, and can dominate the game from that position. Tactically I approach this by man marking the full backs high up the pitch with my wingers. In the center of my midfield I will play two defensivly strong players, Tiote, Sissoko to match up against their central midfield - as that is where you will stop the supply line to their front four attackers. Sissoko will match up against Yaya Toure as he's of similar standing, strength and can offer the attacking drive offensivly, and Tiote will play up against the other man.

In FM, it can be very simple if you make it so. I don't change anything from my tactical instructions to play Man City - I'll change formation, personnel, and set them up accordingly with player duties, but I don't try and over complicate things. The style I play with works, and is very effective in attack - so changing the way I play with the ball would be the wrong approach. I just need to nullify the opposition, in this case Man City, so that I can attack them.

Generally no, but again it will depend on the match, opposition, circumstances etc. - all of which is far too vast to outline in this post. Generally when I do, it's only simple things, for example playing against Aston Villa, who play a narrow diamond, I'll use the shout 'exploit flanks' to direct the play down the sides of Aston Villa.

If you're struggling tactically, I'd first advise you to read this - http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/332585-How-to-Play-FM13-A-Twelve-Step-Guide

That will help you with your approach and mindset to the game tactically I think.

How do you actually want your side to play, what sort of style - from what I can see I'm not really getting much of an idea of what your idea is that you want? It's all well and good me telling you to change X, Y and Z, but first of all you might not understand why I've told you that, or why changing that will help you..

For example, you've short passing length, with contol mentality - doing that will have your side set out in an attacking mindset, high tempo, and playing wide - but your not allowing your players to use that tempo or width effectively by instructing them to look for shorter passing options.

The general style I'd advise you to play with, especially in the first season with Newcastle - is a direct, quick attacking sort of play. Pappis Cisse is your only striker of any quality, so you need to play to his strengths. He needs chances created for him, crosses into the box from the full backs and wingers, and support from Sissoko from midfield.

Try this and see how you go, put this into the TC, but leave the sliders alone;

Formation: 4-1-4-1

Attacking, Balanced, More Direct passing, More creative, Press more, Default - Marking,Tackling and roaming.

Krul GK(D)

Santon: WB(S)

Coloccini: BPD©

Taylor: CD©

Debuchy: WB(S)

Wanyama: DM(D)

Gutierrez: W(A)

Cabaye: DLP(S)

Sissoko: AM(A)

Gouffran: W(A)

Cisse: DLF(A)

Working from the back, Krul in goal should be obvious, as is the full backs. At center back, Coloccini is the obvious answer - but they way your side is set-up Taylor is the better fit. He's more aggressive than MYM, and a better foil for Coloccini. Your be playing a high defensive line, which isn't a problem, Coloccini is a fantastic reading of the game, so superb defending high. Steven Taylor should be your first choice parter to play with Colo. Set them both as covering defenders, as their closing down is already high enough with your attacking mentality. Any higher you will see your back line be torn apart higher up the field.

Midfield, Wanyama or Anita, preferably Wanyama can play in the holding role. His instruction is to just protect, and give you a better shape when winning the ball back in midfield. Cabaye is the link between defence and attack, whilst Sissoko is instructed to join the attacks and support Cisse. Here your midfield is balanced, having a support, defence and attack duties.

Out wide, your playing with wingers - they will get forward, and effectivly play as AMR, AML players, but from MR/ML they defend much better. I like to play with inverted wingers, meaning I'll have a right footed winger on the left, and left on the right - I instruct these to cut inside, so I can push on wing backs, and have the wingers sypport my forward. You don't have players to do this now you've sold Ben Arfa, so play with the normal wingers.

Cisse I found to work best with a DLF(A) - anything like poacher, advanced forward meant he'd run with the ball too much, you want him to get into scoring opportunities in the box, and do the simple things outside the box.

Final advise would be to start watching your games in Full Match mode. That's probably the most important piece of advise. Anything I've said previous can be pointless, if one doesn't understand the reasoning behind it. It's akin to teaching someone ten Spanish phases to use on thier next holiday - and not telling them what they mean. They're pronounce them perfectly, but have no clue what they should be used for.

Watching games in full will help you understand how your tactical instructions play out on the pitch, and help you to understand what your side is good at, and what it isn't. Easiest example being, your notice all your players are shooting from distance and missing - so your then go and change their long shots in the tactics.

Okay..

Not every game, no; but the games where I know the opposition are of the ability where by they can stop my game to a great extent - yes. Example would be playing against Manchester City. They play the 4-2-3-1, and get their full backs extremely high up the pitch, and can dominate the game from that position. Tactically I approach this by man marking the full backs high up the pitch with my wingers. In the center of my midfield I will play two defensivly strong players, Tiote, Sissoko to match up against their central midfield - as that is where you will stop the supply line to their front four attackers. Sissoko will match up against Yaya Toure as he's of similar standing, strength and can offer the attacking drive offensivly, and Tiote will play up against the other man.

In FM, it can be very simple if you make it so. I don't change anything from my tactical instructions to play Man City - I'll change formation, personnel, and set them up accordingly with player duties, but I don't try and over complicate things. The style I play with works, and is very effective in attack - so changing the way I play with the ball would be the wrong approach. I just need to nullify the opposition, in this case Man City, so that I can attack them.

Generally no, but again it will depend on the match, opposition, circumstances etc. - all of which is far too vast to outline in this post. Generally when I do, it's only simple things, for example playing against Aston Villa, who play a narrow diamond, I'll use the shout 'exploit flanks' to direct the play down the sides of Aston Villa.

I generally think that's my problem, I over complicate things and probably change things too much. When I watch a match in real life I think I know what works and what doesn't, but in Football Manager I think I don't see it like I would in real life. I think I need to learn how to adapt to what I am seeing on FM.

[

If you're struggling tactically, I'd first advise you to read this - http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/332585-How-to-Play-FM13-A-Twelve-Step-Guide

That will help you with your approach and mindset to the game tactically I think.

How do you actually want your side to play, what sort of style - from what I can see I'm not really getting much of an idea of what your idea is that you want? It's all well and good me telling you to change X, Y and Z, but first of all you might not understand why I've told you that, or why changing that will help you..

For example, you've short passing length, with contol mentality - doing that will have your side set out in an attacking mindset, high tempo, and playing wide - but your not allowing your players to use that tempo or width effectively by instructing them to look for shorter passing options.

The general style I'd advise you to play with, especially in the first season with Newcastle - is a direct, quick attacking sort of play. Pappis Cisse is your only striker of any quality, so you need to play to his strengths. He needs chances created for him, crosses into the box from the full backs and wingers, and support from Sissoko from midfield.

Try this and see how you go, put this into the TC, but leave the sliders alone;

Formation: 4-1-4-1

Attacking, Balanced, More Direct passing, More creative, Press more, Default - Marking,Tackling and roaming.

Krul GK(D)

Santon: WB(S)

Coloccini: BPD©

Taylor: CD©

Debuchy: WB(S)

Wanyama: DM(D)

Gutierrez: W(A)

Cabaye: DLP(S)

Sissoko: AM(A)

Gouffran: W(A)

Cisse: DLF(A)

Working from the back, Krul in goal should be obvious, as is the full backs. At center back, Coloccini is the obvious answer - but they way your side is set-up Taylor is the better fit. He's more aggressive than MYM, and a better foil for Coloccini. Your be playing a high defensive line, which isn't a problem, Coloccini is a fantastic reading of the game, so superb defending high. Steven Taylor should be your first choice parter to play with Colo. Set them both as covering defenders, as their closing down is already high enough with your attacking mentality. Any higher you will see your back line be torn apart higher up the field.

Midfield, Wanyama or Anita, preferably Wanyama can play in the holding role. His instruction is to just protect, and give you a better shape when winning the ball back in midfield. Cabaye is the link between defence and attack, whilst Sissoko is instructed to join the attacks and support Cisse. Here your midfield is balanced, having a support, defence and attack duties.

Out wide, your playing with wingers - they will get forward, and effectivly play as AMR, AML players, but from MR/ML they defend much better. I like to play with inverted wingers, meaning I'll have a right footed winger on the left, and left on the right - I instruct these to cut inside, so I can push on wing backs, and have the wingers sypport my forward. You don't have players to do this now you've sold Ben Arfa, so play with the normal wingers.

Cisse I found to work best with a DLF(A) - anything like poacher, advanced forward meant he'd run with the ball too much, you want him to get into scoring opportunities in the box, and do the simple things outside the box.

Final advise would be to start watching your games in Full Match mode. That's probably the most important piece of advise. Anything I've said previous can be pointless, if one doesn't understand the reasoning behind it. It's akin to teaching someone ten Spanish phases to use on thier next holiday - and not telling them what they mean. They're pronounce them perfectly, but have no clue what they should be used for.

Watching games in full will help you understand how your tactical instructions play out on the pitch, and help you to understand what your side is good at, and what it isn't. Easiest example being, your notice all your players are shooting from distance and missing - so your then go and change their long shots in the tactics.

I've read that thread before and I think using the shouts it my problem. I think I use too many, I would much rather have a base tactic almost "plug and play" and like you said above adapt it through the players, formation and roles of players.

I will start to look at the other points though, and hopefully it will prove a success.

I generally like to play possession football, although I realise that yo uhave to have the right players.

I don't think I am bad at building a squad and have done it well on previous FM's (although you're right about Ben Arfa), but this year I haven't really had the chance due to getting raged a lot ha.

I will apply all of those tactics you've said above and watch the games in full. Do you still watch the games in full even now? or because you've learnt the different functions you know what you need to do majority of the time?

Thanks for the help, I will keep you updated :thup:

I use anywhere from 1 to 10 shouts at a single given period at one time. You can never have "too many" shouts ;)

Loading up now for the first time since yesterday afternoon. Should be interesting to see how I progress tonight. Won't be able to play tomorrow or Saturday (working) and maybe not Sunday so I'm gonna power through as much as I possibly can. If I can get to February I'll be pleased.

Played my first game with your advice applies Tommo, lost 1-0 to QPR in the cup, but watching the full game I saw a few problems. We dominated possession but Cisse was really isolated, and Sissoko didn't have much of an effect on the game and was quite wasteful with long shots. I felt as though the wingers were slightly isolated as well, and sometime had not midfield option beside to play the ball to.

I am going to make these changes following that game:

Long shots reduced on Attacking Midfielder

Move Wanyama up to centre mid as "Ball Winning Midfielder (D)"

And changing forward to Deep Lying Forward to Support rather than Attack.

Does that sound alright to you?

Personally I would suggest moving the ML an MR to AMR and AML and making them Winger/Support. More support further up the pitch to assist Cissé who won't be isolated so much. Definitely removed the long shots from Sissoko, he can be very wasteful.

I generally think that's my problem, I over complicate things and probably change things too much. When I watch a match in real life I think I know what works and what doesn't, but in Football Manager I think I don't see it like I would in real life. I think I need to learn how to adapt to what I am seeing on FM.

I've read that thread before and I think using the shouts it my problem. I think I use too many, I would much rather have a base tactic almost "plug and play" and like you said above adapt it through the players, formation and roles of players.

I will start to look at the other points though, and hopefully it will prove a success.

I generally like to play possession football, although I realise that yo uhave to have the right players.

I don't think I am bad at building a squad and have done it well on previous FM's (although you're right about Ben Arfa), but this year I haven't really had the chance due to getting raged a lot ha.

I will apply all of those tactics you've said above and watch the games in full. Do you still watch the games in full even now? or because you've learnt the different functions you know what you need to do majority of the time?

Thanks for the help, I will keep you updated :thup:

90% of games I'll watch on extensive. The big games, agains using the vs. Man City games I'll watch in full - as those games I have to be tactically switched on; but, for example the game I'm about to play now, Stoke away, I know the quality of my side, the way the personnel are set-up in it, and the general pattern of offesnive play that these players can work means I don't really need to be watching the whole game.

I'll keep an eye on the Match stats, and analyses through - if something is going a miss I'll take action, for example Stoke getting the majority of the first 20mins possession - I'll take a look at who of their players are seeing most of the ball in the passing stats, and if needed I'll set up a man marking on them. This is the most common problem I encounter - but generally I'm playing an effective style of play that fits nicely together, and have brought players to fit to that style.

When I'm watching games in real life I'm always picking up things and the tactical approaches the different sides are taking - or at least the ones that my level of knowledge is picking up - often I'll think, if I'm enjoying FM at that time, how would this be played in FM etc.

Personally I would suggest moving the ML an MR to AMR and AML and making them Winger/Support. More support further up the pitch to assist Cissé who won't be isolated so much. Definitely removed the long shots from Sissoko, he can be very wasteful.

Only Gutierrez I'd advise playing as a AMR/L - as a Defensive Winger - especially from the tactical set-up I suggested. Due to the attacking mentality those players will get forward into those attacking areas regardless, but due to that attacking nature, they're not going to be so hard-working in defence.

Having two wingers play effectivly the same role (MR and AMR), but from a 4-1-4-1 shape will be noticeably advantageous when it comes to defending. Think of the formation you set-out in the TC as the defensive shape your side is taking without the ball - you've set-your side up with two scructured banks of four, with a man occupying the space between defence and attack. This will help you no end when it comes to defending - especially when defending high and aggressively. Your wingers will be on a much closer line to press with your central midfielders than they would be if played as a AMR/L, making it harder for the opposition to play into spaces.

I've had plenty of success playing a 4-3-3 with AMR/AML. I'm not going to get into a tactical debate over it but I think you're overstating the importance of shape with differing M/AM roles - my AML/AMR are still hugely important defensively.

Anyhow, I've gone 9 straight competitive games without conceding with this Newcastle team atm. My record on any FM save is 19 with Real Madrid:

402292_282444941814257_1564135461_n.jpg

I don't think I will break that with this Newcastle side but I believe I can come close.

Played my first game with your advice applies Tommo, lost 1-0 to QPR in the cup, but watching the full game I saw a few problems. We dominated possession but Cisse was really isolated, and Sissoko didn't have much of an effect on the game and was quite wasteful with long shots. I felt as though the wingers were slightly isolated as well, and sometime had not midfield option beside to play the ball to.

I am going to make these changes following that game:

Long shots reduced on Attacking Midfielder

Move Wanyama up to centre mid as "Ball Winning Midfielder (D)"

And changing forward to Deep Lying Forward to Support rather than Attack.

Does that sound alright to you?

Hmmm, okay.

Cisse being isolated, Isolated in what sense - having nobody around for him to pass two, or everyone is too far away from him when they have the ball.

I have an idea, set your MR and ML up as Inside Forwards. This is what I have done from the outset and has worked well - brilliantly once the arrival of SES to play on my left.

Just tweak the wide play to 'cuts inside', and increase their through balls to often, and decrease the crossing to 'sometimes' - this should encourage them to move inside, into the channels, much closer to Cisse.

For this to be effective, most effective, you need your full backs getting beyond the winger to provide the width. A supporting wing back will do this perfectly well, so don't switch it to attack. In Santon and Debuchy you have two players perfect for this role.

Try that, see how that works, you should find that your getting much more support in the adavnced areas from your wingers, and making it harder for opposing defences to deal with.

[/font]

Just how far can we take this thing?

25B191EA54E0ED04A0811C4390A084E1EE04A2C8

Far, son. Far.

______

I won't be doing monthly updates because at the minute, with limited playing time over the weekend, I'd rather just get far through the save. I'll do a big end-of-season update though whenever I get there (probably Monday). I'll still post important occurrences in here though :thup:

Going to start a save too..

Brace yourself Tommo and co, I will be selling Tiote, Jonas and a few others...

Tiote is going because I'm not a huge fan in real life and also it makes perfect business sense to sell him for £20mil+ and bring in someone equally, if not better in Wanyama or someone similar.

Jonas will go because I've never rated him as a creative force.

Street and Campbell and co will be the focus of a homegrown revival as you would expect, and I'll be looking to bring in some young british players to join them.

Absolutely distraught.

Outside looking in, we had an outstanding season. Finished second, won the league cup (a nervy 1-0 against Arsenal) and the Europa League (V Juventus, we should have won in normal time but just couldn't get the goal and had to win via penalties). The team was brilliant; Tim Krul kept 39 clean sheets in 59 games and only letting in more than one goal twice all season, both Sissoko and Cisse hit above 20 goals in all comps (21 & 23 respectively) HBA chipped in with 17, Cabaye 12 and Davide Santon with an exception 12 from his left wing back position. Everyone one of my regularly first team outfielders scored at least twice, except Tiote who didn't score this season. We played nice looking football, obviously built on our very sturdy defence, so yeah that's great. But why am I unhappy?

whyihatemanutd.png

So... Angry. So damn angry.

That said, I noticed this season most (note: all) of my Tiote issues were broken. 31 games, only 6 yellows and 1 red. His passing was simple, he did what I wanted and I've no complaints. I guess having Cabaye deeper and a wing back next to him helped his distribution and seemingly prevented him lunging in for leg breakers. So now I understand where Tommo's coming from when he says don't get rid. Anita could do his job, but for me Tiote was unbeatable. He averaged something like 9 tackles/game, only committed an average of 2 fouls/game and had a good 87% successful pass rate. My only issue with him, as it is with Cisse is the ACON making him miss far too many games. Annoying, but good for the squad players.

Cisse was... Odd. 23 goals and 12 assists in 45 games is great, especially since I had intended on us scoring goals all over but he'd have runs of not scoring which was frustrating. Hopefully next season he'll be more consistent. His composure somehow rose to 15 by the end of the season so maybe that will help? Joys of a dedicated training programme for him.

Cabaye is my player of the year, 7.85 ave rating, 17 assists and 12 goals. Mr Consistent, Vice Captain (pretty much guaranteed to be my future captain) and all round superstar. He's my highest earner on 65k/week and he deserves it.

Sissoko on form was unstoppable. He had a couple poor games but was outstanding more often than not. Ditto HBA. Those two ruined defences with so little effort.

Taylor was a rock at CB. He's always one I debate selling, not this time round. I've got Alderweireld and Indi coming in this season, as well as Jan Wuytens to provide competition and Taylor has nothing to worry about. It'll most likely be Colo replaced by Toby, before Indi steps in for Taylor in a couple seasons. I'm p***ed that Woy has only played Taylor once for England when he's been the most in form CB in the country. Not just of the English players, I mean everyone.

I have a couple tasty newgens coming in too. One lad from our academy I have earmarked to replace Tiote, and I've bought a German RB who looks to have all the necessary attributes to be a quality wing back.

Sell Jonas by all means - sell, sell, sell! Still don't understand any reasoning for selling Tiote and then buying Wanyama though, but hey - broken record n' all that!

I've taken a similar approach in regard to the young british players! Steete and Campbell are the prize assets of the squad, but quite a few others can be made into first teamers I'd suggest..

8577529379_6f361c655f_b.jpg

They went down in my first season too, although I only got 4 points from them first season (drew at the Stadium of Light). The Smoggies came up though which was quite good. They went straight back down (I think I only got 4 points from them too, drawing at Riverside). Sunderland failed to come back up so no rivalries this year for me :(

Sitting at 13 straight cleansheets, winning all except 2 (0-0 at Stamford Bridge; 0-0 at KC Stadium). I'm scared that I'll lose it :( hahaha, I don't want to lose it yet. At least I hit the teens.

13? Impressive. I hate going on runs like that, as I get paranoid I'm going to let in goals and get stressed every time the other team attacks.

Would have thought winning the Europa League, League Cup & coming 2nd would improve my rep yet no 'big names' want to sign. Out of curiosity I offered for Daimao & Schurrle who are transfer listed and neither would listen to me. I'm sorry lads, I didn't realise leaving Internacional and Leverkusen for us would be such a step down...

Don't take it to heart - I'm Premier League Champions and Leandro Damiao isn't interested in me either, yet.

Although Andre Schurrle is a bit of a surprise...

I'm getting paranoid already :D Playing Hull and they scored twice only to have both chopped off (both offside). They then hit the bar on the 90+3rd minute, with the ball hitting Krul's back and trickling in before he got back to save it. Hull were unfortunate not to beat me, looked the better team tbh haha (they were on a 4-match losing streak too).

EDIT: Adam Lallana is like a man possessed on my left wing at the minute. Totally replaced Viktor Fischer (first man in over two seasons to do so). Sitting with 6 assists and a goal on the left wing after 10(3) appearances. Doesn't seem like much but his general play has been great.

Well Schurrle just signed for Bayern. Even if I wanted him and he had been willing to negotiate, there'd only be one winner there.

Decided I'm going to cull the squad this window and get rid of several fringe players. Shola, Obertan, Harper and Gosling are all set to leave. Ferguson & Sammy are on that list too and I may let Perch & Raylor go too.

So far this window I've brought in:

Toby Alderweireld

Bruno Martins Indi

Mason Bennett

Mickael Landreau

Jan Wuytens.

So that's defence and GK sorted, and another youngster to add future quality to my AM/ST positions.

Unlucky JD, it would be a former player too.

EDIT: Boom. 32.5million profits announced. Not bad.

Brought Adam Campbell on for his debut for final 20mins in Friendly against Slovenia - next game, first Euro 2016 Qualifying game, I started him up front with Rooney - and he only went and scored a hat-trick!

8579011578_929859402c_b.jpg8577907877_c9d6bc7faa_b.jpg

47 away from Chalton's record..

This guy is one of my favourite ever signings. Seriously. Yohan Cabaye is nothing but a distant memory. Even Jordy Clasie can't get into my team. Chantome doesn't even seem up to much but he's immense.

TtQquEf.png

5-0, he scores 1, assists 4, posts a 9.6, gets MOTM... perfect performance, really.

At Halftime in the next game...winning 0-2 at Everton. Chantome has 1 goal and 1 assist. ON FIRE.

Archived