The Glasgow Rangers thread : Season 04/05

Ter

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Zaitsev:

Yes you dooooooooo. Please? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Only if you take Michael ball back, and Peter lovenpants too

Back online/at work today after a week on the p!s... erm ill.

Last Sunday will have to go down as one of the best days of my life. Obviously, like most Rangers fans, I didn't expect Celtic to bottle it, so as both games went on it got more exciting by the minute.

Our celebration as Scott McDonald equalised will remain with me forever. As will the moment of despair when my friend phoned me from a pub showing the Celtic game and as he reported the equaliser I heard a huge shout of "yes" in the background and the phone went dead. Celtic had scored again... icon_frown.gif

My confusion soon turned to happiness again though when the place erupted for a second time. Motherwell had scored, not Celtic, and the title was coming home for the 51st time. I'm not ashamed to say tears of joy ensued and I'm sure I wasn't alone in having to sit down as my knees turned to jelly.

The evening after that, although obviously enjoyable, was spent in shock more than anything else. Celebrations in my local were actually quite muted as I don't think it had sunk in yet. Ergo, the Monday was even better. An early start on the bevvy was inevitable and after contacting a few (dozen) fellow fans, the function room in our local was secured for a private Rangers day. DVD's were brought, songs sung and thousands taken behind the bar. Our huge smiles only beaten by the landlord who had record Monday takings!

Congratulations to all at the club and especially the fans for our 51st title success.

We are the champions and we deserve it. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise!

icon_cool.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Frankie:

We are the champions and we deserve it. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise!

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

And thy are trying ever so hard, as anyone who's read, watched or listened to any Scottish media in the last 7 days, can see all too easily.

You wouldn't have thought we had won the title last week.

Absolutely nothing in the Daily Record or Sunday Mail about it at the weekend. Not one Rangers-related story.

The boycott must be working.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FrankJJ:

icon15.gif ! Paranoia ! icon15.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Which is one area you club and fans will always be number one in.... icon_razz.gif

Rangers bid for Blackburn, Villa target Phillips

tribalfootball.com - May 30, 2005

Rangers are aiming to trump a host of Premiership clubs for Southampton striker Kevin Phillips.

The England international is wanted by Blackburn Rovers, Bolton, Aston Villa and Sunderland as he seeks a move from St Mary's after their relegation last season.

The Sunday Mirror says Rangers have stolen a march on their rivals by lodging a £1.2 million bid for Phillips, who is reluctant to take a 50 per cent wage-cut to stay at Saints next season.

----------------

Wahoooooo ! Not exactly the 5-6m they said before hey ? \o/ 1.2m it's a bloody steal ! Deadlier than Bellamy ever wish he was.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ter:

Oh yeah, that reliable source tribalfootball.com icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

tribalfootball is a very good site. yes it does post some transfer news that would never happen but atleast they update their site more than 2 times a day like soccernet icon_biggrin.gif

And most news is good to read if you are bored.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Frankie:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FrankJJ:

icon15.gif ! Paranoia ! icon15.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Which is one area you club and fans will always be number one in.... icon_razz.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Frankie, you boys really are pushing us closely in the last year or two, keep it up! icon14.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ozzie:

Rangers bid for Blackburn, Villa target Phillips

tribalfootball.com - May 30, 2005

Rangers are aiming to trump a host of Premiership clubs for Southampton striker Kevin Phillips.

The England international is wanted by Blackburn Rovers, Bolton, Aston Villa and Sunderland as he seeks a move from St Mary's after their relegation last season.

The Sunday Mirror says Rangers have stolen a march on their rivals by lodging a £1.2 million bid for Phillips, who is reluctant to take a 50 per cent wage-cut to stay at Saints next season.

----------------

Wahoooooo ! Not exactly the 5-6m they said before hey ? \o/ 1.2m it's a bloody steal ! Deadlier than Bellamy ever wish he was. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

might be a better finisher than the hunchback but thats about it, and is the wrong side of 30 for me.

I really think Phillips is much too over-rated.

He had one incredible season when he was with Niall Quinn and got hyped up. he hasn't really been able to replicate that regular goalscoring form since.

I'll probably be proved terribly wrong but that's my two cents.

I would've loved to have seen Nonda at Rangers icon13.gif

we'd need somebody big to head the ball onto Phillips as he's sort the same as Stevie Crawford as he needs somebody to head the ball on, probably the wrong side of 30 and he had the chance to join us two years ago but decided to go to Southampton after deciding we wouldnt get through that Copenhagen CL tie which of course we did icon_cool.gif

although I reckon he'd fire in a few in the SPL though icon_wink.gif

• SI Staff

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ozzie:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ter:

Oh yeah, that reliable source tribalfootball.com icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

tribalfootball is a very good site. yes it does post some transfer news that would never happen but atleast they update their site more than 2 times a day like soccernet icon_biggrin.gif

And most news is good to read if you are bored. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'll take quality over quantity any day of the week

• SI Staff

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by YippeeKaeYay:

Gilardino will be available from parma if they get relegated in the playoffs icon_rolleyes.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He's available anyway whether they get relegated or not.

It's not an issue anyway as we can't afford the transfer fee and he will have better options elsewhere.

He played against Dundee Utd ad Ibrox when we lost 1-0 and was baws then tae. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He's a bit hot & cold tbh.

• SI Staff

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gary Toner:

One of the worst kept secrets so far this year but Ian Murray has signed and will be at Ibrox next week when he returns from Scotland duty. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh my god! Can't believe that one!! icon_redface.gificon_redface.gificon_redface.gif

• SI Staff

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Midfielder Dragan Mladenovic will return to Rangers after Real Sociedad opted against signing him.

The 29-year-old Serbian international moved to Spain on loan in February and Sociedad had the option to retain his services for a fee of around £600,000.

But he didn't do enough in his 12 appearances to earn a permanent move.

Mladenovic joined Rangers from Red Star Belgrade for £1.2m last summer but failed to impress after picking up an injury early in the season.

He made just nine appearances in six months at Ibrox and the January arrivals of Barry Ferguson and Thomas Buffel pushed him further down the pecking order.

Mladenovic signed a four-year deal with the Scottish champions but Rangers are expected to let him leave on a cut-price deal.

The player had been speaking to clubs in Germany and Russia before joining Sociedad. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hope we move him on tbh, he'll not get a sniff at the first team now and would just disappear like Khizanishvili

Rangers keen on Polish whiz Hirsz

May 30, 2005

Rangers are interested in Polish teenager Robert Hirsz.

The 15 year-old plays for Lechia Gdansk and his agent said: "There is a keen interest in Robert from Rangers.

"He was in Glasgow earlier this year when he had a trial and played in a youth match and they were very impressed with him.

"We told Rangers we didn't want to do anything until Robert finishes school and he would make a decision after that.

"I'm in regular contact with Rangers and George Adams and we will see what they want to do before we decide what Robert is going to do."

Plymouth complete Djordic signing

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

Plymouth Argyle have boosted their squad ahead of next season by signing former Manchester United and Rangers winger Bojan Djordic.

The 23-year-old left Rangers in January's transfer window and has decided to play in the Championship.

"I am delighted that Bojan is joining us. He will add to our squad and increase competition for places," said Pilgrims manager Bobby Williamson.

Williamson has already signed Hungarian midfielder Akos Buzsaky from FC Porto.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Gers and Villa in Kev hunt

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

David O'Leary will force Rangers' arm and spark a transfer scramble when he ups the ante for pint-sized Southampton star Kevin Phillips to £2m.

The Villa chief has long admired Phillips and tried to sign him from Sunderland when he raided The Stadium of Light to capture keeper Thomas Sorensen and Gavin McCann.

O'Leary missed out on Phillips to Southampton then and is now keen to ensure he does not lose out again, so will up the bidding war after seeing Scottish champions Rangers lodge a £1.2m bid.

St Mary's supremo Rupert Lowe is looking for around £4m following the club's relegation from the Premiership - but that price seems a little steep for the 31-year-old, who made 21 league appearances last season and scored nine goals.

Gers boss Alex McLeish has the added lure of Champions League football up his sleeve - but O'Leary has more money at his disposal than the Ibrox chief so may try to price him out of any deal. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gary Toner:

Plymouth complete Djordic signing

Plymouth Argyle have boosted their squad ahead of next season by signing former Manchester United and Rangers winger Bojan Djordic.

The 23-year-old left Rangers in January's transfer window and has decided to play in the Championship.

"I am delighted that Bojan is joining us. He will add to our squad and increase competition for places," said Pilgrims manager Bobby Williamson.

Williamson has already signed Hungarian midfielder Akos Buzsaky from FC Porto.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Do you guys ever flog anyone to a manager who didn't play for you at some point in the past? icon_wink.gif

(Yeah, I know Djordic was out of contract.)

O Canada! Our home and native land! True patriot love in all thy sons command something something something

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Rangers have confirmed a nine-day pre-season tour of Canada where they will play Dinamo Zagreb in a friendly.

The Light Blues will be based in Toronto from July 4 and will line up against the Croatian side on July 12 at the Rogers Centre - formerly the SkyDome - in the Canadian city.

The Ibrox club have also lined up a friendly against local opposition on July 9.

Rangers have already confirmed friendlies against Linfield in Belfast on July 16 and at Ipswich three days later.

Bundesliga side Borussia Monchengladbach will arrive at Ibrox on July 23. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by TM:

Lee Miller signed for Dundee Utd in a 225k deal today, so he wont be a signing for us then </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thats great news tbh. He should do well there.

What about Hearts though, any news on their manager? I thought they would have been after Miller.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by McDonut:

I heard Dick Advocaat or Terry Venables.

rip.gif Hearts </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Venables denied it about a week ago.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Floater 5000:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by McDonut:

I heard Dick Advocaat or Terry Venables.

rip.gif Hearts </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Venables denied it about a week ago. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I didn't believe either would go there tbh.

If that's who the Hearts cabal are seriously looking at though, they're on a slippery slope.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">From The Sunday Express:

Italians to beat Gers to Andre

Fiorentina are set to to beat Rangers to land Brazilian wonderkid Paulo Andre. The silky defender, has played his last game for Guarani, who are expected to sell him this summer.

Andre, who can play on the left side of defence has already been to Murray Park to be checked out by Ibrox boss Alex McLiesh.

Rangers are keen on the £800,000-rated player as they seek a new defender folowing the departure of Gregory Vignal. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh well, he cant be that good. Ive not seen him in FM. icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by lovenkrands01:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">From The Sunday Express:

Italians to beat Gers to Andre

Fiorentina are set to to beat Rangers to land Brazilian wonderkid Paulo Andre. The silky defender, has played his last game for Guarani, who are expected to sell him this summer.

Andre, who can play on the left side of defence has already been to Murray Park to be checked out by Ibrox boss Alex McLiesh.

Rangers are keen on the £800,000-rated player as they seek a new defender folowing the departure of Gregory Vignal. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh well, he cant be that good. Ive not seen him in FM. icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

A Brazilian wonderkid for £800k icon_confused.gif

Better hope he's not Scheidt. icon_wink.gif

Getting rid of some deadwood:-

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Georgian duo Zura Khizanishvili and Shota Arveladze are set to leave Scottish giants Rangers, with moves to the continent close to completion.

After claiming the SPL title in a dramatic conclusion to the season Rangers are reshaping in a preparation to again battle with Celtic next term, and the pair are now both set to end their Ibrox stays.

Ivan Benes acts as agent to the two Georgian stars, and confirmed that defender Khizanishvili is close to agreeing a move to Bundesliga outfit Schalke whilst forward Arveladze (pictured) will pen a deal with De Eredivisie shock package AZ Alkmaar.

Arveladze's imminent Ibrox exit has been no secret in the run-up to the end of the season, and he is expected to ink a three-year deal with Holland's surprise third placed club in the coming days.

Khizanishvili meanwhile only signed a new contract with The Gers in February, although has been marginalised under McLeish and will continue his career in Germany - dependent on whether the two clubs can agree a suitable fee.

"Zura is close to joining Schalke, although they have still to agree the fee with Rangers," said Benes.

"I don't think he is part of Alex McLeish's plans and I don't believe therefore that Rangers will stand in his way of leaving.

"Shota has decided to move on and will sign a three-year contract with AZ this week."

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Portsmouth could be set to make Peter Lovenkrands their first summer signing after reportedly making an offer for the Rangers winger.

Pompey boss Alain Perrin will be looking to inject new impetus into his Fratton Park squad, and reports in Scotland claim that the South Coast outfit have tabled a £250,000 bid for the 25-year-old.

Lovenkrands cost £1.3 million from Danish outfit AB Copenhagen five years ago, although struggled with injury over the course of the past season and has fallen out of favour with Gers boss Alex McLeish.

Perrin has been linked with a host of players, and, after losing Patrick Berger to Aston Villa, has a void to fill on the left of midfield.

Whilst Lovenkrands' agent has previously stated that his client is attracting much interest across Europe, Pompey appear to be favourites for his signature after reputedly making a move for the Dane. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Both from SSN. £250k for Lovenkrands icon_biggrin.gif. Jeez that guy's plummetted.

Archived