2017/18 Season Preview - Forest Green Rovers - Blue Square South

200px-Forest_Green_Rovers_F.C._logo.jpg

Transfers

Media Prediction: 9th

Title Odds: 3/1

Captain: Al Bangura

Vice-Captain: Kim Jensen

---

The bookies like us for the title but the media aren't so sure. We let 18 players leave at the end of June, which created an enormous wage budget, aided further by me selecting "promotion" as a board expectation. We turned some of this wage into transfer funds and splashed a club record £85K (half up front, half over 24 months) on teenage striker Martyn Rooney from relegated Curzon Ashton. In came a couple of Scandos in Kim Jensen and Bo Nøhr to add some class.

I also inherited two excellent players in skipper Al Bangura and hitman Eurico Sebastiao.

Unfortunately I have enough wage budget left over that I could have just selected "Top Half Finish" and still been under, and the team is taking a little bit of time to gel, but the season is but young.

Some nice signings City :thup:.

"Big Al, Big Al Banguuuura run-ning the show for me

Do-do do-do-do, do-do do-do-do, do-do do-do-do, do-do do-do-do"

Any fans of 'Heartbeat' around?

Not a fan but the song is now stuck in my head. Thanks :D.

Bula!

---

2017/18 - Forest Green Rovers - Blue Square South

League Table - Finances - Graph - Transfers*

Season Review

While the media had us in a mid-table spot and the board seemed equally unambitious, I felt that anything less than promotion would have been underachieving, given we had at least five players in the squad who were of league football standard.

Given I had basically recruited a new squad, we had an inconsistent start to the season, but importantly hung around the top half, and slowly started to climb until we were well and truly in a title race by Christmas, aided by our early exits in both the FA Cup and FA Trophy. January and early February saw us retain our spot around the top, however we were very ordinary in late Feb and most of March, putting in a number of insipid displays, mostly around the absence of our star striker Sebastiao.

After a lucky 3-1 win over relegation-threatened St Albans to end March, we kicked off April with a visit to Eastleigh in a crucial game. They were only two points behind us in 3rd, however played us off the park for the first half and we were very fortunate to go in 1-1. The players got a bit of a bake from me, and came out and knocked in SIX in the second 45 to crush their title hopes with a 7-1 demolition.

A springboard was launched, and we ended April with six wins from six, scoring 25 goals and taking the title in the process. I was inexplicably installed as favourite for the vacant jobs at Swansea and Middlesbrough, both relegated from the Prem.

Supermarine finished a safe 13th and were never threatened by relegation.

Goal of the Season

[video=youtube;EQpz67l4Kac]

Injuries limited Jensen to only 14 appearances, but he was capable of moments like this when he was fit.

Key Men

Al Bangura - Our skipper is far too good for this level and he controlled the middle of the park. Often it is hard for central mids to get consistently high ratings but he was something of a creative force, combining six goals and 13 assists with nearly five tackles per game. Thankfully his real life injury problems weren't replicated.

Eurico Sebastiao - Another who is far too good for non-league football, and his 22 goals in only 31 starts was enough to net him the league's player of the season award. Unfortunately his contract expires and he is off to L1 side Chesterfield, however I promised him in the pre-season that I'd let him leave at the end of the season.

Martyn Rooney - The club's record signing did not disappoint, notching 19 goals and 15 assists in a supporting striker role. At only 19 he shapes as a key player in the club's future, and is a possible captain down the line.

Dave Lester - Initially on loan from Coventry (now in L2), we organised to bring him on a free in the summer permanently. Before his arrival our back four was very shaky, however we ended up with the best defensive record in the league. A big coup.

Stephen Hill - Electric down the left, and deservedly won player of the month in our glorious April.

Next Season...

We have a central midfielder, a winger, a 'keeper, a right back and two remaining strikers who could all play league football, so if I can increase the squad depth there's no reason we can't be chasing a play-off spot.

----------

Swindon Supermarine

2011/12 - Evo-Stik Southern Premier - 1st (promoted as champions)

2012/12 - Blue Square South - 2nd (lost in play-off semis)

2013/14 - Blue Square South - 2nd (lost in play-off semis)

2014/15 - Blue Square South - 4th (play-off and FA Trophy finalists)

2015/16 - Blue Square South - 1st (promoted as champions)

2016/17 - Blue Square Premier - 9th (resigned)

Forest Green Rovers

2017/18 - Blue Square South - 1st (promoted as champions)

----------

* You may notice a few differences in the transfers I posted in pre-season at now, however my game crashed at the end of pre-season the first time around so had to repeat it, ensuring I signed and released/sold the same players

2017/18

Charity Shield: Everton (Man Utd)

Premiership: West Ham (Middlesbrough, Swansea, Wolves)

Championship: Huddersfield; Derby, Doncaster (Barnsley, AFC Wimbledon, Burnley)

League One: Colchester; Watford, Charlton (Preston, York, Northampton, MK Dons)

League Two: Wrexham; Morecambe, Port Vale, Barnet (Oldham, Brentford)

Conference Premier:Fleetwood; Aldershot (Grimsby, Havant & Waterlooville, Hayes & Yeading, Bognor Regis)

Conference North: Kettering; Cambridge (Alfreton, Worcester, Braintree)

Conference South: Forest Green; Cheltenham (Truro, Sutton Utd, Wealdstone)

Ryman Isthmian Premier: Hampton & Richmond; Waltham Abbey (Thurrock, Tonbridge, Walton & Hersham, Harlow)

Evo-Stik Northern Premier: Colwyn Bay; Bradford PA (Lancaster City, Harrogate Railway, Marine, Curzon Ashton)

Evo-Stik Southern Premier: Dunstable; Aylesbury Utd (Dorchester, Bedford, Mangotsfield, Brackley)

Ryman Isthmian Division One North: Enfield Town; Aveley (Redbridge, AFC Hayes)

Ryman Isthmian Division One South: Merstham; Dulwich Hamlet (Hythe, Leatherhead)

Evo-Stik Division One North: Spennymoor; Frickley (Clitheroe, Durham)

Evo-Stik Division One South: Sheffield; Gresley (Lincoln United, Loughborough Dynamo)

Evo-Stik Division One Central: Halesowen; Evesham (Stourbridge, Sutton Coldfield)

Evo-Stik Division One South/West: North Greenford; New Mills (Thatcham, Whitstable)

---

FA Cup: Liverpool (Chelsea)

League Cup: Chelsea (Man City)

Johnstone's Paint:Exeter (Coventry)

FA Trophy: Woking (Histon)

---

Champions League: Man Utd (Valencia)

Europa League: Liverpool (AC Milan)

Super Cup: Bayern Munich (Internazionale)

2018/19 Season Preview - Forest Green Rovers - Blue Square Premier

Transfers

Media Prediction: 21st

Title Odds: 10/1

Vice-Captain: Kim Jensen

---

It's not been the greatest off-season, primarily as we are over a grand over wage budget so signing anyone has been difficult. Loaning players has been tough as well, and I am still after a striker and a central midfielder on a temporary basis. We have also lost one half of our first choice central midfield pairing in Anthony Simmonds for the season with damaged cruciate ligaments, so more cover will need to be found. There is plenty of quality available on frees, but no funds to sign anyone worthwhile.

Young Welsh starlet Ramon Phillips is given the unenviable task of replacing club icon Sebastiao.

My new centre-half prospect Kenny Coton, signed from Bishop's Stortford on a free after coming through their youth team. At only 17 he has averaged 7.67 in the Conference South this season, and had 10 MotM awards in 17 games.

fgcoton.jpg

I reckon he has Championship potential at the very least, and with full time training can probably get his heading/tackling/marking up to at least the 14/15 mark. Not to mention he is already a good passer. High determination and bravery and looks a future captain too. Will want to improve decisions first and foremost, and obviously strength.

Thoughts? I think if you got him in your youth team at a Prem club you'd be pretty happy. It's the strongest position in my squad but I think I'm just going to throw him in the deep end and see how he does, and hopefully I can get up the leagues while he is still young to give him higher level football.

fgdrewargument.jpg

So, just to summarise there. We're 1-0 an hour into a crucial match, our other right winger is already injured for a month, you are on a yellow card, you burst into the penalty area, and.... YOU FRIGGING DIVE, AND YOU WANT TO COMPLAIN ABOUT GETTING FINED A WEEK'S WAGES?

Irish git.

2018/19 - Forest Green Rovers - Blue Square Premier

League Table - Finances - Graph - Transfers

Season Review

A fairly special season in the end, and one that saw my decision to leave Supermarine fully vindicated. We started in typically hot/cold fashion, notching five wins and five losses before our first draw, but stayed in the top half of the table, important as it remained bunched around the top with no one pulling away. So even when we were 8th or 9th we were still only a handful of points off the top.

Firmly established in the play-off spots through January, we made our move in the second half of February, and once we hit the top we stayed there. In fact, over the last 16 games of the season, we went 13-2-1 and ended up winning the title with five games to spare, taking Rovers into the league for the first time in club history.

Supermarine were relegated.

Goal of the Season

[video=youtube;6j9ZdDF-oQg]

Phillips finishes off a lovely passing move around the edge of the box.

Key Men

Martyn Rooney - A superb season from our young star, adding 17 assists to his 25 goals. Gets a deserved chance at league football.

Ramon Phillips - Entrusted with the task of replacing Sebastiao, the young Welshman was superb with 28 goals. He started slowly but caught fire in the second half of the season, and earned a senior call-up at the end of May.

Sean Nash - On loan all season from Everton, the Irish youth international formed a formidable partnership with Bangura in the middle of the park, and just shades him thanks to a dozen assists.

Kenny Coton - A hugely exciting prospect. Signed on a free from Bishop's Stortford after dominating the BSS, he made the step up fairly comfortably and will get the chance to develop further in the Football League.

Next Season...

I've always found that the jump from BSP to L2 is the least daunting, so will be targeting at least a mid-table finish. Whether I get the budget to do so remains to be seen, as the club is bleeding money.

----------

Swindon Supermarine

2011/12 - Evo-Stik Southern Premier - 1st (promoted as champions)

2012/12 - Blue Square South - 2nd (lost in play-off semis)

2013/14 - Blue Square South - 2nd (lost in play-off semis)

2014/15 - Blue Square South - 4th (play-off and FA Trophy finalists)

2015/16 - Blue Square South - 1st (promoted as champions)

2016/17 - Blue Square Premier - 9th (resigned)

Forest Green Rovers

2017/18 - Blue Square South - 1st (promoted as champions)

2018/19 - Blue Square Premier - 1st (promoted as champions)

2018/19

Charity Shield: Liverpool (West Ham)

Premiership: Man Utd (Derby, Doncaster, Huddersfield)

Championship: Bristol City; Swansea, Bolton (Blackpool, Sheff Wed, Colchester)

League One: Barnsley; Burnley, Leyton Orient (Exeter, Nottm Forest, Shrewsbury, Peterborough)

League Two: Torquay; Crawley, Preston, Oxford (Tranmere, Dag & Red)

Conference Premier:Forest Green; Crewe (Accrington, Swindon Supermarine, Yeovil, Oldham)

Conference North: Stalybridge; Barrow (Aylesbury Utd, Eastwood, Woodley Sports)

Conference South: Salisbury; Bishop's Stortford (Waltham Abbey, Bognor Regis, Bath)

Ryman Isthmian Premier: Cambridge City; Hendon (Heybridge, Dulwich Hamlet, Merstham, Enfield Town)

Evo-Stik Northern Premier: Droylsden; Guiseley (Workington, Mossley, Newcastle Town, New Mills)

Evo-Stik Southern Premier: Truro; Oxford City (Frome, Wealdstone, North Greenford, Gloucester)

Ryman Isthmian Division One North: Bury Town; VCD Athletic (Cheshunt, AFC Sudbury)

Ryman Isthmian Division One South: Hastings Utd; Walton Casuals (Worthing, Met Police)

Evo-Stik Division One North: Bishop Auckland; Marine (Salford, Goole)

Evo-Stik Division One South: Rushall; Leek (Cammell Laird, Rainworth MW)

Evo-Stik Division One Central: Bedford; Bishop's Cleeve (Stourport, Rugby Town)

Evo-Stik Division One South/West: Yate; Faversham (Clevedon, Wimborne)

---

FA Cup: Arsenal (Newcastle)

League Cup: Everton (Newcastle)

Johnstone's Paint: Exeter (Coventry)

FA Trophy: Cambridge Utd (Hampton & Richmond)

---

Champions League: Barcelona (Atletico Madrid)

Europa League: Man City (Internazionale)

Super Cup: Man Utd (Liverpool)

It is a shame, but to be expected when the AI alienates its best players...

fgrisvig.jpg

There's no way they should have gone down with the squad they had though. Your clubs haven't really done too much on this save, although Stoke finished 6th a few years ago and haven't gone out of the top flight. Billericay have stayed in the division below the Conference North/South, never threatening promotion or relegation. I think Stoke won an FA Cup too.

fgrooneybid.jpg

Even if the board had left the decision up to me I still would have accepted. The money is far too good for the club to turn down in its current financial state, and it gives Rooney a chance to prove himself in the Championship and put himself in the window for top flight clubs.

Have to say I'm confused, I haven't played much in the English lower leagues having preferred to travel around S and N America on my long term saves in FM12.

However these forums are full of people who claim it is impossible to get any clubs higher up the English leagues to make an offer for your good players.

That sounds like a great offer?

2019/20 Season Preview - Forest Green Rovers - League Two

Transfers

Media Prediction: 24th

Title Odds: 16/1

Vice-Captain: Andy Harris

---

Entering our first season in the Football League, I thought I'd do a full squad overview. I'm only including players who will conceivably play a role.

Goalkeepers

Bo Nøhr - First choice between the sticks. Attracting interest from several higher clubs, but I still feel this position could be improved.

Nicholas Whitton - Pretty much just there to sit on the bench in case of injury, but he is happy to do so.

Full backs

Laith Emerton - Joins permanently on a free after a successful loan spell last season.

Adama Kader - Another free transfer who will provide competition at left back.

Andy Harris - The newly-appointed club vice-captain, in line to make his 100th appearance this season.

Central defenders

Kenny Coton - The most exciting prospect in the side, and will only improve with the higher standard of league.

Dave Lester - Has been Mr Consistent since originally joining on loan in the BSS.

Lee Johnston - Perhaps hasn't played to his ability on paper, but is still a solid option.

Central midfielders

Al Bangura - The skipper and first name on the team sheet in a play-making role.

Billy Brosnan - A new signing, the Irish youth international is very strong in the tackle.

Adam Snell - Very much a squad player, but always presents a danger with his set pieces.

Anthony Simmonds - Missed all of last season with knee problems, but his versatility is an asset.

Wingers

Shane Dunk - Released from Stoke's academy, he looks like he could develop into a very good winger.

Stephen Hill - Plays both sides equally well and has a knack of scoring in big games.

Alan Porter - A back-up who earned another year with some key displays at the end of last season.

Strikers

Ramon Phillips - Our star man, and will have an even higher workload with Rooney's departure. Scored on his senior debut for Wales too, and needs a haircut.

Nicolai Risvig - He starred for me at Supermarine and hopefully he gives us a similar return here too.

---

We certainly have the quality to stay up, but whether we have the squad depth is another matter altogether. Another striker is a must, especially given we play two up front, and we may have to enter the loan market again.

Boom boom indeed. League life has started fairly well too, despite a glut of injuries. We've soldiered on and grabbed points in a few games where we've only had a handful of chances...

fgtable19.jpg

A couple of shrewd signings as well, in Marcus Hewlett for £4K from Exeter (currently second top scorer in the league) and Sean Dunphy, who joins in January for £9K from Shelbourne and has hit double figures in Ireland thus far.

Leicester02.png

Leicester City Football Club, also known as The Foxes, is an English professional football club based at the King Power Stadium (previously called the Walkers Stadium) in Leicester. They currently play in the Football League Championship, having been promoted as champions from Football League One in the 2008–09 season.

The club was founded in 1884 as Leicester Fosse, playing on a field near Fosse Road. They moved to Filbert Street in 1891 and played there for 111 years, before relocating to the nearby Walkers Stadium in 2002.

Leicester were elected to the Football League in 1894. The club's highest ever finish was second place in the top flight, in Division One in 1928–29. The club holds six Second Division titles (prior to it becoming known as the Football League Championship) and one League One title. They have won the League Cup three times (the highest total of a club who has never won the League or the FA Cup), and have been FA Cup runners-up four times, which is a tournament record for the most defeats in the final without having won the competition. They are currently without a manager after surprisingly being turned down by Forest Green boss Nick Mockford.

I own up to that (I'm sure I've had worse failures, plus it happens a bit on here) though was about to change it earlier when I realized that 'move' and 'decision' are similar enough terms.

In the end it was a fairly easy offer to turn down. I wouldn't feel comfortable making the jump from League Two to the Prem, and at the time of the offer they were 13 points off safety with a lot of bloated salaries.

---

And so ends a magical year 2019 for the club, appropriately concluded with a clinical display at Aldershot...

fgaldershotmatch.jpg

Along with the Conference title leading the club into the Football League for the first time, we enter 2020 with a nine point lead at the top of the table, and 12 points ahead of non-automatic promotion spots. Next up is Newcastle in the FA Cup third round, a game that will not only sell out the New Lawn, but also brings us £10K in TV money.

Looks like the Black Cats are struggling too so I presume another offer turned down? Doing well with Forest Green anyway. I'd stay with Forest Green...but only because they have Forest in their name ;):)

Turned down a lot quicker than the Leicester one which I did consider. We lost 3-0 at home to Newcastle in the cup too but that at least brought in £110K. We're closer to the black than we've ever been now.

In transfer news, we've organised a deal for central midfielder Craig Campbell to join in the summer...

fgcampbellcoup.jpg

He is a Darlington youth product and looks like he could become Championship standard.

Archived