Wants 1st. team football.... getting beyond a joke!

I'm not complaining about jerks, or players who demand first team play even if their rivals are (a) better players and (b) playing really well. Players can be impatient or unrealistic. I accept that.

But promising a player "Yes, I'll play you soon", the last game before the break, he gets a small injury (you know, one of those "2 day injuries just before a matchday"-type, so the "long term injury, of course manager cannot fulfill promise"-logic won't kick in), and thus no more games to be played before the month is up. Tell me how I could've played him more often? It was literally not possible. This is not breaking a promise. It is a flaw in the game logic / feedback logic. I really cannot see another way about it.

Unfortunately, in my experience, it is human behaviour. It might be a logic flaw in the coding, but that doesn't mean it isn't actually quite well aligned to how humans can actually behave.

A few seasons ago (game time) I bought someone in July, he played the first two league games but got injured, then demanded a transfer in September before he was even 100% fit. Needless to say I got rid of himin the next window.

Not the sort of player I want, he would upset the teams harmony.

So what's the verdict?

I maintain from opinions here that this ".. wants 1st. team football.." is simply not working right.

1) Lots of the players that are contracted as rotation, or back-up, or are just plain "too young," are doing this complaining. Club is fulfilling it's contractual obligations to these players & getting silly ultimata in response.

2) It happens way too often. If you have a squad of over 20 players you are likely to be seriously affected by this issue.

3) Responses to the request are very, very, poor. See post above. Manager either has to play real hard-ball or kow-tow; no middle road. Need that "Sorry but I have no reason to drop the player in your position because he's just playing too well & it wouldn't be fair on him; I would like you to be more patient".

Needs fixing!

For me the biggest problem players are keepers, I'm yet to have a backup keeper not complain about his paucity of starting appearances which has resulted in me finding it very hard to develop players in that position as they expect to be starting games far too early in their career which in turns means I end up in a constant state of selling & buying young keepers.

So what's the verdict?

I maintain from opinions here that this ".. wants 1st. team football.." is simply not working right.

Appart from isolated incidents on here i dont see why thats the case to be honest.

1) Lots of the players that are contracted as rotation, or back-up, or are just plain "too young," are doing this complaining. Club is fulfilling it's contractual obligations to these players & getting silly ultimata in response.

Again not at all, i think i have come across this issue 3 times in 15 seasons so far.

2) It happens way too often. If you have a squad of over 20 players you are likely to be seriously affected by this issue.

see above 3 times in 15 seasons, two of which were back up keepers, if you rotate your squad properly this is not an issue at all.

3) Responses to the request are very, very, poor. See post above. Manager either has to play real hard-ball or kow-tow; no middle road. Need that "Sorry but I have no reason to drop the player in your position because he's just playing too well & it wouldn't be fair on him; I would like you to be more patient".

Needs fixing!

Yes the response could be better and expanded on, the same could be said about most of the interactive options. It doesnt really need fixing, just expanding.

I have found the root cause for this has always been squad status, not changing it at the "right" time to stop this, I have usually been pretty poor at changing players squad status frequently. I find it does need reviewing every 6 months as a maximum as some players come in as a "first team" player and quickly establish themselves as a backup only, if you do not amend the squad status after half a season they complain.

It took one player I did this to a whole season to realise he was not a backup, to be honest I should have changed his squad status long before he came to me with his issue!

Milnerpoint I respect your comments but I have to say that in the last 15 season's either:

- you have been incredibly lucky. I currently have 3 of these jackasses already this season & I'm only half-way through. All moaners are "rotation" and oldest is 22.

- you operate with an extremely small squad that enables most of the players to be regular 1st. teamers.

- you simply have less "prickly" characters in your squad that I have.

- you are just a cracking good manager (my guess is this option, right?).

In future I am just going to ignore all such requests. Let them ask for transfers & accept. I am bored trying to fight these dicks!

I've had a problem with a player who wants 1st team football but can't settle and has been given 3 separate months off as a break. So I can't play him because he's never there.

Everyone else who wants 1st team football but isn't getting it I just change their squad status to a more accurate one. If they still aren't happy at that change I tend to sell them in the next window.

Milnerpoint I respect your comments but I have to say that in the last 15 season's either:

- you have been incredibly lucky. I currently have 3 of these jackasses already this season & I'm only half-way through. All moaners are "rotation" and oldest is 22.

- you operate with an extremely small squad that enables most of the players to be regular 1st. teamers.

- you simply have less "prickly" characters in your squad that I have.

- you are just a cracking good manager (my guess is this option, right?).

In future I am just going to ignore all such requests. Let them ask for transfers & accept. I am bored trying to fight these dicks!

Its not luck mate, not at all, its through good squad rotation. I keep a main squad of 22-24 players each season, usually 2 players for each position and a couple of either youngsters or older guys as third choices. My main starting 11 start every important league game and european game, my 2nd choices start every single cup game and any league games that come before or after a euorpean game, except if its against one of the big teams. Every second choice player will start at least 10 league games a season ontop of their cup games and no player in my squad goes more than 2 weeks without game time, except the back up keeper. The three instances i have had involved 2 back up keepers who have since left and a regen full back who must have a god like PA because at 18 and being either footed his stats are better than my 1st choice current full backs. I'm not genius at this game, and i used to have problems like this, until i started getting annoyed players in my first team squad were not qualifying for league winners medals because they didnt play enough games.

Unfortunately, in my experience, it is human behaviour. It might be a logic flaw in the coding, but that doesn't mean it isn't actually quite well aligned to how humans can actually behave.
Could this player not realise that if he played and aggravated his injury, he might get a more serious injury, which might result in him playing even less games? Or that if he's not at full fitness, he may play badly and not be able to showcase his true ability, meaning he might get dropped anyway. The player might be aware that the manager has a history of not playing just-recovered players. At the very least, the manager should be able to say that he doesn't want to risk the player for this match, but will be happy to play him after the break.

I don't think it's really human behaviour, and at the very least the game should provide the option to tell the player this.

I certainly don't think the player should complain about a lack of games over a period of time where there are, quite frankly, no games being played. That's not human nature.

Its not luck mate, not at all, its through good squad rotation. I keep a main squad of 22-24 players each season, usually 2 players for each position and a couple of either youngsters or older guys as third choices. My main starting 11 start every important league game and european game, my 2nd choices start every single cup game and any league games that come before or after a euorpean game, except if its against one of the big teams. Every second choice player will start at least 10 league games a season ontop of their cup games and no player in my squad goes more than 2 weeks without game time, except the back up keeper. The three instances i have had involved 2 back up keepers who have since left and a regen full back who must have a god like PA because at 18 and being either footed his stats are better than my 1st choice current full backs. I'm not genius at this game, and i used to have problems like this, until i started getting annoyed players in my first team squad were not qualifying for league winners medals because they didnt play enough games.

I rotate even more than this - most players play every second match. I have very few problems with moaning about first team football.

I try to keep the entire 25-man squad 100% match fit at all times. The benefits of doing this are numerous and the only drawback I have experienced so far is the lack of top goalscorer awards.

Could this player not realise that if he played and aggravated his injury, he might get a more serious injury, which might result in him playing even less games? Or that if he's not at full fitness, he may play badly and not be able to showcase his true ability, meaning he might get dropped anyway. The player might be aware that the manager has a history of not playing just-recovered players. At the very least, the manager should be able to say that he doesn't want to risk the player for this match, but will be happy to play him after the break.

I don't think it's really human behaviour, and at the very least the game should provide the option to tell the player this.

I certainly don't think the player should complain about a lack of games over a period of time where there are, quite frankly, no games being played. That's not human nature.

Yes, he could. Or he could throw a strop. I've played sort with professional, dedicated players and total idiots who only look out for themselves, not caring about their teammates or club, just their own ego. I've played with people who will play through injury when the club needs a result and players who will take any excuse to sit out a difficult match. I've played with encouraging, motivating players, ones that moan and snipe throughout the match, and ones that have so little confidence in their own ability they need to be nursemaided through games. I've also played for clubs having highly biased selection committees who never give certain players their chance.

Although it may be a bug, I don't think the behaviour being exhibited by these players is anything out of the ordinary and something that happens all the time in professionally run sports clubs. I would agree that we are missing some 'talk to the player' options, but not that every player should be a rational, professional athlete.

I had a bizarre one. Signed Joe Lewis as a keeper as Rob Green had a long term injury. Come end of January you put forward your squad again and I just pressed auto without really looking. The Ass Man left Lewis out of the squad so next click I had Lewis days after signing demanding 1st team football. I fortunately could go to the Registration screen and register him but on the player talk screen the only option I could choose was "I'll give you a chance but you must take it", that sort of thing. So I play him for the next 6 games then my Assistant comes and tells me that I must remember I promised Joe First Team Football!!! What, he is playing!!! Still got low morale 12 games in but at least he is playing ok!!! Pesky Assistant Managers!!

I had a bizarre one. Signed Joe Lewis as a keeper as Rob Green had a long term injury. Come end of January you put forward your squad again and I just pressed auto without really looking. The Ass Man left Lewis out of the squad so next click I had Lewis days after signing demanding 1st team football. I fortunately could go to the Registration screen and register him but on the player talk screen the only option I could choose was "I'll give you a chance but you must take it", that sort of thing. So I play him for the next 6 games then my Assistant comes and tells me that I must remember I promised Joe First Team Football!!! What, he is playing!!! Still got low morale 12 games in but at least he is playing ok!!! Pesky Assistant Managers!!

What nation/level is that? Maybe in the lower leagues the reputation of the league is so low that 1st team football doesn't really count as 1st team football?

• Administrators

In the Joe Lewis example the assistant will give you a reminder whether the player is playing or not - that's what it is, just a reminder. It's just so the user doesn't overlook or forget a promise. Agree it could perhaps be phrased better saying something like "the assistant has noted that you'vd kept your promise to involve Joe Lewis over the last few games" etc.

It's for West Ham in the Preriership..... Thanks Neil, I'll keep an eye on it as at some stage a players usually demands a meeting, although as he is playing hopefully he won't. Maybe for numpty's like me who overlooked the fact that he hadn't been registered another option could have been given when Lewis came to me. Something like, "There was an internal paperwork error and you were not registered in time for this weeks game, but that has now been rectified",,, Something like that. I can't be the only person who hasn't registered a player by accident,,, I hope!!!

It's for West Ham in the Preriership..... Thanks Neil, I'll keep an eye on it as at some stage a players usually demands a meeting, although as he is playing hopefully he won't. Maybe for numpty's like me who overlooked the fact that he hadn't been registered another option could have been given when Lewis came to me. Something like, "There was an internal paperwork error and you were not registered in time for this weeks game, but that has now been rectified",,, Something like that. I can't be the only person who hasn't registered a player by accident,,, I hope!!!

The moral is: don't click auto and confirm ;)

I had a similar problem as Birmingham manager, I had a 17-year-old who had never played a match for me and was in the reserve team squad who said that he wanted first team football. I suggested that he should go out on loan but he insisted on starting for the first team or leaving the club on a permanent basis. He was listed as a 'hot prospect' but he was no where near ready for first team football. When I attempted to send him to my feeder club (Worcester) he happily moved without kicking up a fuss.

Archived