Bizarre managerial appointments to top clubs

So here's one to have a giggle over your cornflakes with;

Fergie decides to retire in 2012. Not straight after the season,oh no, but 5 days before pre-season begins. His replacement? Christian Gross.

At first i burst out laughing(as a Spurs fan of course). And then i was like WTF. I cursed SI :D

It is pretty funny at first, but as pedantic as it may seem, it really takes the edge/intensity out of a save, making me take it a little less seriously. There's no plausible reason for Utd to hire a no-one like Gross. They should be going for the best available....Guardiola, Mourinho, or even someone like Moyes/Coyle before Christian effin Gross. So why don't they? Compensation is a bad excuse, as is rivalry. Most managers, if not all, would take that job in a second. Not to mention that a team managed by Gross is not going to be competitive.

Oh, and Allardyce took over from 'Arry at Spurs. I know the club have no ambition in the game, but that is taking the p*ss. 2 top 5 finishes too :applause:

Terry has now taken over from Xavi at Blackburn, he has good stats as well, Rafa somehow is still at Inter, they have won the league 10 out of the last 8 years, milan go through a manager a season it seems. Gattuso has just taken over Rangers, and Crouch was sacked by St Johnstone as a russian group of businessmen took them over and appoint big Pav instead!!!!!!!!!!! Southgate is close to being sacked as celtic manager. Berbatov is clinging to his job just. Rio just won the FA cup with Westham.

Fellow spurs fan and i too had to sit and watch Allardyce bring spurs to a 15th place finish, fill the squad with players that would struggle to break into the blackburn starting 11. Luckily he was sacked after a season and replaced by David Moyes, but only to somehow get the England job and stop them qualifying for the World Cup.

Worst part was Harry jumped ship to City only to get sacked after winning the league cup and with that he retired from the game.

The game is a progressive, virtual world where managerial appointments are based on performance. Obviously you would get the odd looney bin chairman appointing a total random but we get the same in real life.

The only thing I worry about is international appointments, managers never seem to resign from international jobs which doesn't mirror real life at all.

The game is a progressive, virtual world where managerial appointments are based on performance. Obviously you would get the odd looney bin chairman appointing a total random but we get the same in real life.

The only thing I worry about is international appointments, managers never seem to resign from international jobs which doesn't mirror real life at all.

True, but UTD would never, and i mean never appoint Christian Gross, whilst City would not choose Mowbray either. This is the only thing in the game that i can't really stand. Everything is fine with me, but this....no :D

True, but UTD would never, and i mean never appoint Christian Gross, whilst City would not choose Mowbray either. This is the only thing in the game that i can't really stand. Everything is fine with me, but this....no :D

Would Chelsea have ever hired Avram Grant, a lot of people would have laughed if someone suggested that.

Would Chelsea have ever hired Avram Grant, a lot of people would have laughed if someone suggested that.

That's a different scenario. He was pretty much a caretaker, and a friend of the owner. Christian Gross would never ever happen, for reasons that don't need explaining. As a man utd fan i think you would know that :D

It's happened before in my save and ultimately it makes those teams a little less competitive. My new way aound this, which is a bit pedantic and fiddly, is to use the swap manager option in FMRTE. It's a bit subjective but i find i enjoy the game more- For instance, in 2012 Fergie always retires(is this hard-coded?), so when they inevitably bought in some tosh, i swapped Christian Gross with Pep Guardiola(who IRL is perhaps unlikely to manage Barca past 2012) with Gross. So therefore i have a WC manager to do battle with over the seasons. Obviously i can't have Gross at Barca, so i swapped him again, but with Villa-Boas from Porto, who has astounding potential. Not sure if that will work for Barca though, but they've won doubles for the last 3 seasons so Jose is due some luck! I find this makes the game work for me more :)

Noticed a few unusual appointments in my last game, one was some random Cypriot physio/coach who hadn't managed for ten years taking over from Sean O'Driscoll at Doncaster Rovers. Didn't do too greatly. Noticed a couple of these appointments of people who last managed a club over ten years ago.

Archived