[FM11] The Damned Biggleswade Town

uncle ron

2010/2011 February - Biggleswade Town - Zamaretto League Division One Central

February was a bit of a set back.

Two wins followed by 2 defeats.

Perhaps we're going back to our early season inconsistent form. Was reaching 5th a fleeting flirt with the play-offs?

20112fixtures.png

20112table.png

Goal of the month:

Again it's Moxam, perhaps the goal of the season with this George Weah effort after picking up the ball in his own half...just wish the clip showed a bit more.

[video=youtube;nESYDIKR1Ew]

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think I've confused some with the quote

That wasn't what Moxam has scored this season...the whole team has scored only 32 goals in 29 games so far, so I was making a more general point, we're too reliant on Moxam.

I bit...... :)

2010/2011 March - Biggleswade Town - Zamaretto League Division One Central

An unbeaten month in the league which sees Biggleswade climb to 4th place and with just 5 games to go, I'll be very surprised if we don't make the play-offs.

Daventry are runaway leaders and will soon be confirmed as Champions.

Moxam takes the Central League Player of the Month Award for his 4 goals in 4 games.

Only blip was the Bedfordshire Senior Cup defeat, however that's my fault as I fielded a weakened team...don't tell the Bedfordshire FA...

So the league run in is as follows:

AFC Hayes - away

Northwood - home

Soham - away

Woodford - away

Rugby - home

Apart from the Woodford game we should be able to get the wins...might even secure 2nd place...

20113fixtures.png

20113table.png

Goal of the Month

Yet another classy finish from man of the moment Moxam

[video=youtube;T1Ra2huX0_g]

2010/2011 April / May - Biggleswade Town - Zamaretto League Division One Central

It just wasn't to be...

The 3rd place finish was very impressive given our early form. Only 10 points off champions Daventry and well clear in the play-off reckoning.

The play-off semi against Uxbridge was nearly so different.

We took the lead towards the end of the first half and held out until the 81st min.

Players were already knackered at this point and we couldn't press-on during extra time.

Penalties is such a crap way to go out, but in truth...we didn't deserve to go up this season, there's still so much more to do.

Player of the Year - Michael Jatto commanded the defence all season, a great captain.

Young Player of the Year - Aran Moxam finished 3rd in the league goalscoring charts, let's hope he can improve next season...

20115fixtures.png

20115table.png

Goal of the Month:

Jack finished an excellent counter attack with a sublime finish

[video=youtube;JEio9-v9NRg]

2010/2011 Season Review

Premier League: Chelsea

Championship: Nottm Forest

L1: Peterborough

L2: Rotherham

BSP: Kettering

BSN: AFC Telford

BSS: Chelmsford

NPL: Northwitch

ZPL: Salisbury

RPL: Tonbridge

N1N: Chorley

N1S: Brigg

Z1C: Daventry

Z1S: Gosport

R1N: Grays

R1S: Bognor Regis

FA Cup: Bolton

League Cup: Aston Villa

FA Trophy: Luton

Champions League: Real Madrid

Europa League: Stuttgart

Bad luck missing out on promotion. The playoffs can be horrid, and going out on penalties is even worse. Better luck for next season, and at least you started to score a few more goals towards the end of season too :thup:

Bad luck missing out on promotion. The playoffs can be horrid, and going out on penalties is even worse. Better luck for next season, and at least you started to score a few more goals towards the end of season too :thup:

Yes a few tactical changes have had the desired effect with more goals, although now gone are the clean sheets...

Next season looks promising, hopefully some good players will be available on a free.

2011/2012 Preview - Biggleswade Town - Ryman League Division One South

Despite the settings implemented in my England Levels 7 and 8 file, Biggleswade Town have been moved to the Ryman League for 2011/2012 and rather bizarrely into the Southern Division One.

So no local derbies this season :(

Expectations: Consolidation

Odds: 10-1

Media Prediction: 17th

Transfer budget: £0

Wage budget: £500 p/w (currently spending £450 p/w)

Chairman status: Happy to stay at club

Estimated value: £130K

Season ticket holders: 35

Average ticket price: £7

Average season ticket price: £90

2011/2012 Preview - Biggleswade Town - Ryman League Division One South

Despite the settings implemented in my England Levels 7 and 8 file, Biggleswade Town have been moved to the Ryman League for 2011/2012 and rather bizarrely into the Southern Division One.

So no local derbies this season :(

You better have a talk with Uncle Ron.

I've been given a deal until June 2012 worth £120 per week, not sure why I get £20 less than my first attempt at this save?

You quit and then came begging for your job back. What did you expect, a pay rise? :D

Good luck next season, that's a great start.

Maybe too early to tell if you haven't played more than this, but how is the difficulty on FM10 v FM11? And what do you think of 11 in general?

Maybe too early to tell if you haven't played more than this, but how is the difficulty on FM10 v FM11? And what do you think of 11 in general?

After just a season I'm definitely a fan of FM2011, a vast improvement on 2010. Only game issues I've experienced in game so far has been during some matches when the graphics freeze for about 10 seconds and then recommence, a bit annoying. I might update my graphics drivers...

As for difficulty...seems similar to before and of course you can make this game as difficult as you want to play it.

I'd definitely recommend FM2011 and also my edit this year is so much more realistic than FM2010.

I'd definitely recommend FM2011 and also my edit this year is so much more realistic than FM2010.

In what way?

Just a small thing, but I prefer the less PR-based names in FM2010. I'd have to change nPower and all that crap if I were to play FM2011. It would annoy me way too much.

Admittedly I haven't play a lot of FM11, but for some reason I just couldn't get into it like with 10. Match engine and graphics look nice tho.

I'll ask here too as you probably don't check the edit thread that often. Players should only be given 1-year contracts in the lowest levels. But what about staff? I've actually been handing them one-year contracts too.

In what way?

Where do I start...

Implemented ground grading requirements

Added all cups

Added County FA Cups

Added real loan rules

Added transfer window restrictions

Realistic play-off scheduling and seeding

Rebuilt the FA Cup and FA Trophy to include all qualifying rounds....

That's a very nice list. Personally all cups would be a counter-point for me, but as you also have a no cups version that would be the one I'd use.

About ground grading, exactly what does this mean in game terms? Can you be denied promotion if the ground does not qualify for the above league for example?

I fondly remember this was in CM01/02 or some such version. But if I remember the brief reading of the rules correct clubs have a few years to upgrade their stadium if they get promoted.

I haven't even bought FM11 this time around so am sticking with 10. But I trust your great leagues will be back for FM12 too? ;) I've kinda lost hope SI will implement them :( Which is somewhat understandable tbh, cause the difference between level 7 and 8 isn't much to talk about in the game. That's my experience anyway. Guess 1-20 simply isn't enough to properly separate so many levels. So I'd be very wary of using any setup with even more levels as the team that can win at level 11 can probably do pretty darn well on level 7 too.

For the ground grading,it's mainly to help club financially in the long term.You have an expansion each season so you won't end up with a tiny ground in the premiership like you do on other similar downloads.

I'm using his download and I won Evo-Stik first division north, the board decided to expand even though it put me in debt so I don't think you can be denied promotion in the game.

That's quite nice actually. How does ground expansion work in 11 btw?

I remember it was a big plague in 10 when the authorities denied you expansion. Which meant in my case that I had to keep using my newly built 9000-ish stadium for 20 years, many of these while winning the EPL for years on end. Rather unrealistic. But since you have to wait 20 years between stadiums, that's what I had to endure. In the end I couldn't be bothered (for various reasons). So if that problem is lessened with this file that is great. It's usually not a big issue in the beginning as the stadium is almost empty anyway, but once/if you start to move up it can really hold you back financially. Just checked my old pictures, and without player sales we were losing 50-60 million a year.

It basically works the same and the authorities are still a pain at times, especially with clubs with smaller grounds but this file seems to counteract those problems with seasonal expansion which will help with finances at a higher level.

That's quite nice actually. How does ground expansion work in 11 btw?

I remember it was a big plague in 10 when the authorities denied you expansion. Which meant in my case that I had to keep using my newly built 9000-ish stadium for 20 years, many of these while winning the EPL for years on end. Rather unrealistic. But since you have to wait 20 years between stadiums, that's what I had to endure. In the end I couldn't be bothered (for various reasons). So if that problem is lessened with this file that is great. It's usually not a big issue in the beginning as the stadium is almost empty anyway, but once/if you start to move up it can really hold you back financially. Just checked my old pictures, and without player sales we were losing 50-60 million a year.

The ground grading has been implemented from the Regional First Divisions (Level 8) through to League Two (Level 4) so if your team gets to the Football League your capacity will be no less than 5000 including 1000 seats.

Also... your team is never denied promotion because of insufficient capacity to meet ground requirements in game. In the season following promotion your ground will get expanded, or if it can't be expanded then you'll get a new stadium.

Thanks. That's a great feature to implement in the file. Didn't know that was possible. Don't dare to think how many hours you must have put into that work by now :o Fantastic effort!

SI should just use your work and then have level 7 and 8 in FM2012 tbh. And pay you :D

Thanks. That's a great feature to implement in the file. Didn't know that was possible. Don't dare to think how many hours you must have put into that work by now :o Fantastic effort!

SI should just use your work and then have level 7 and 8 in FM2012 tbh. And pay you :D

It's one thing to get someone to set up the leagues correctly, it's another altogether to employ enough scouts to ensure all the personnel and teams are 100% accurate at those levels...

Having said that, ron does a fantastic job :)

An Arlesey boy then Deisler?

I was a couple of miles down the road. Used to do the long walk back from Arlesey train station to Henlow village after getting the train back from a night out in London. :D

Henlow Village too actually ;)

2011/2012 - August / Sept & October - Biggleswade Town - Ryman League Division One South

A more condensed update of the first 3 months of 2011/2012 in Ryman Division One South.

Big mistake in pre-season. Don't release your assistant manager, physio and scout thinking you'll sign a better one in no time...

4-5 months on, at the end of October I've still not got a scout, so after finally signing a new assistant in late August I'm having to rely on his (crap) reports and suggestions only.

Wages is the issue, I can only offer £30 per week, yet no-one will take less than £50 per week.

We started well in this strong division and progressed in the cups, then I started to dick about with formations to accommodate a new central midfielder who is more suited to playing behind the forward(s)...so we started losing, lost 3 games on the trot including exiting the FA Cup at Quorn.

On finally reverting back to my relatively successful modified 4-4-2 we hammer Maldon & Tiptree 4-1 (see M&T goal below!), however a few days later we crash out of the FA Trophy at Garforth.

What about Moxam? I can hear you say...

He started the season on fire with 10 in 12 apps, including scoring 4 goals against Eastbourne Town in a league record 6-0 win. Then he didn't score in 4 and got injured so he should be back in November.

201110-1fixtures-1.png

201110-2table.png

Goal of the month:

Just had to share my defence and keeper making a right mess of clearing the ball, leaving the M&T forward with an open goal to aim at

[video=youtube;VOl08yc1gZk]

Scouts are overrated anyway! ;)

Overrated yes, yet essential to how I try to play the game...

So frustrated with this issue, looks like I'm not going to be able to sign a scout until I'm promoted :(

I rely heavily on my scouts too. 100% of the players I buy/sign have been scouted and recommended by the scouts.

Even though the majority of their reports are garbage, it's still better than nothing! I'm not sure how I'd cope in your situation, you have my sympathy :eek:

I rely heavily on my scouts too. 100% of the players I buy/sign have been scouted and recommended by the scouts.

Even though the majority of their reports are garbage, it's still better than nothing! I'm not sure how I'd cope in your situation, you have my sympathy :eek:

At least ass man or coaches can now scout players so that's helped signing new players.

Still no luck with any job centre interest for a scout another month on...

That's one thing that annoys me with job centre applications and various recommendations. Why are these way out of budget? I've had players recommended who would cost me 20-50K and demand 300-400 a week. The transfer is simply impossible, and they'd take half the wage budget.

They do pick some fine ones too though.

That's one thing that annoys me with job centre applications and various recommendations. Why are these way out of budget? I've had players recommended who would cost me 20-50K and demand 300-400 a week. The transfer is simply impossible, and they'd take half the wage budget.

They do pick some fine ones too though.

Yea true, the suggestions rarely take into account your financial situation.

2011/2012 - November - Biggleswade Town - Ryman League Division One South

November was the busiest month of the season so far with 9 games, meaning little or no rest for the squad and plenty of rotation.

The more settled formation worked well, as sandwiched between the 2 defeats at the start and end of the month, we performed really well and entertained with plenty of goals.

We're moving in the right direction in the league and closing on leaders Chatham.

The win against Arlesey in the Beds Challenge Cup was excellent, 2 nil down at half time, we managed 4 goals in 20 minutes to win 4-2 and set up a quarter final with rivals Biggleswade United!

201111-1fixtures-1.png

201111-1table.png

Goal of the month:

Midfielder Sutherland, the guy who I was messing about with the tactics previously to better accommodate, shows his quality with his first goal for the club,

[video=youtube;Aw0sidtzalA]

2011/2012 - December - Biggleswade Town - Ryman League Division One South

The month that I've been waiting for...

5 wins from 5 in the league, including a 3-1 win over previous table toppers Chatham so we've moved top of the league! Nuff said!

End of the month sees a potential board takeover by Dagenham based businessman Barry Hearn

I checked Leyton Orient and Barry's left in October 2011 so it must be him!

I like snooker and darts so we've a lot in common, so hopefully if he takes over the club he'll keep me on.

Talks between Hearn and current chairman Will Shaw have 'not gone well', but hopefully it can be resurrected as you never know....I might get some extra wages money for a scout.

201112-1fixtures.png

201112-1table.png

Goal of the month:

Goal of out nowhere from DL Brackstone against Chatham. Was it a cross or did he mean to shoot? I'll never know...

[video=youtube;4MGgtdWLmjg]

Great month there. I'm sure it was a missed cross :p Some of the things I've seen....

This video upload feature is one of the great things about FM11 actually. Wish it was on 10. Some goals and events I'd love to upload. More events than goals really.

I have a question to you 11ers. Are captaincy and vice captaincy still recorded under club landmarks? Annoys me that so-called landmarks are filled with that junk.

I have a question to you 11ers. Are captaincy and vice captaincy still recorded under club landmarks? Annoys me that so-called landmarks are filled with that junk.

Yea they are still recorded, it would be good to filter them out. Just have to change your captains less often ;)

Good luck with the takeover he might provide a bit of money

Unfortunately it has gone a bit quiet since the end of December. Was really looking forward to a 'big name' businessman potentially becoming chairman of this little club.

2011/2012 - January - Biggleswade Town - Ryman League Division One South

The run continued for another game then 3 defeats in a row.

I can handle losing to Faversham and Eastbourne Town, but to go out to rivals Biggleswade United in the Quarter Final of the Beds Challenge Cup AET is unacceptable...I nearly resigned in protest...but instead fined a few players for their display.

Still...2 wins at the end of the month took us back to the summit, onwards and upwards?

Also still no news on the takeover despite chairman status 'willing to listen to offers'.

Some key players:

Aran Moxam - Still a good prospect. Moxam has recovered from injury and back in the team.

Craig Read - Loan signing from Bishop's Stortford returned after 15 game loan last season. Rock at the back and certainly someone I may put on offer in for in the summer.

Frankie Sutherland - Young AMC signed in the summer after being released from QPR. Good stats for an 18yo but has found it hard to settle into the team. Needs more experience.

20121fixtures-1.png

20121table.png

Goal of the month:

Moxam justifies his poacher target man (run onto ball) perfectly with this effort against Ashford.

[video=youtube;FqzlnYeyUzk]

2011/2012 - February - Biggleswade Town - Ryman League Division One South

I'm trying not to get carried away...

4 more wins, 15 goals and only 2 in at the back, despite having our first choice keeper out injured for the month and a 19yo between the posts.

Manager of the Month award for my troubles, or lack of them....

20122fixtures-1.png

20122table.png

Goal of the month:

Freshwater strikes from long range, hits the cross bar, only to them rebound off the keeper into the net

[video=youtube;vde1ZoelPAA]

I like Sutherland. Good techique and first touch. Best combination of technical attributes that provide a solid base for development of a young miefielder..... at least IRL... Hopefully the same in FM 2011. :)

I like Sutherland. Good techique and first touch. Best combination of technical attributes that provide a solid base for development of a young miefielder..... at least IRL... Hopefully the same in FM 2011. :)

Sutherland does have the basis to be a good player, I'm surprised he wasn't snapped up by a higher level team.

My problem this season has been how to accommodate him in the team.

My tactical tweaking early this season to play him in his preferred AMC role either behind 1 or 2 upfront failed with poor results, so for now he's going to have to get better as a MC.

Alternatively I might retrain him as a forward to play him in a supporting role for the attacking poacher.

2011/2012 - March - Biggleswade Town - Ryman League Division One South

Another month unbeaten, however a nervy month with 4 draws and a single win. For some reason we can't score more than a goal per game...

Moxam missed the middle 3 matches this month, he scored a goal in both of the other two. He's becoming a bit indispensable.

We're still top of the league and secured a play-off spot, so five games left to go including games against fellow top five Leatherhead and Fleet..this is going to go down to the wire.

20123fixtures.png

20123table.png

Goal of the month:

Moxam scores a great header against Croydon

[video=youtube;FE-UYdEvoKU]

Archived