FM11 - Tottenham Hotspur - Rise of the Triffics (take 3)

Jedi Spur

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Season Review 2010/2011

What looked like being a promising season unfortunately fizzled out towards the end due to a rather large fixture pile up.

The season began with a reasonable amount of transfer activity, resulting in a £5.25m net profit and a reduced squad average age.

Players In - £30.75m

Fabio Coentrao for £8.5m from Benfica

Romelu Lukaku for £8.5m from Anderlecht

Sven Bender for £7m from Dortmund

Lucas for £6.75m from Sao Paulo

Players Out - £36m

King to Man City for £13.5m

Jenas to Bayern for £9.25m

Palacios to Hoffenheim for £6.75m

Kranjcar to Liverpool for £6.5m

Premier League

After an opening day 3-1 defeat at Old Trafford, an eleven game unbeaten run (11 wins & a draw) saw us at the top of the table. Unfortunately major inconsistency saw us lose touch with Man Utd, who went unbeaten for the first 25 or so games to open up a healthy lead. At one point it looked as though we may not even finish in the coveted Champions League positions but inconsistency also plagued the other teams in contention (Arsenal, Man City & particularly Chelsea). With four games to go the title was as good as Man U’s but second place was ours to lose, and after losing three of those last four games we did just that, eventually finishing fourth.

EnglishPremierDivisionInformation_LeagueTable-4.png

Domestic Cups

We went pretty well in both domestic cup competitions, reaching the semi final of the Carling Cup and winning the FA Cup.

TottenhamHotspurTottenham_Fixtures-3.png

TottenhamHotspurTottenham_Fixtures-2.png

Champions League

What looked like a tough group on paper turned out to be fairly routine, as did the 1st KO round against Schalke. Then came Chelsea in the quarter final with the first leg at home. After John Terry got sent off 9 minutes into the game and we quickly went 2-0 up I thought things were going well, but Peter Cech put on a master class and we conceded a vital away goal before going out in extra time at The Bridge.

TottenhamHotspurTottenham_Fixtures-1.png

Best Players

Key Players

Defoe – 46(2) appearances, 29 goals, 21 assists, 7.40 rating

Dawson – 43(5) appearances, 10 goals, 1 assist, 7.33 rating

VDV – 44(4) appearances, 13 goals, 14 assists, 7.30 rating

Best Young Players

Lukaku – 14(10) appearances, 19 goals, 5 assists, 7.64 rating

Bale – 22(1) appearances, 7 goals, 11 assist, 7.53 rating

Lucas – 17(19) appearances, 3 goals, 8 assists, 7.25 rating

Not a great season, but something to build on and above all we are in the Champions League again.

Already got Davide Santon and Marco Amelia coming in on free transfers. With Gallas not being offered a new contract I now need a top class defender, together with a quality striker to partner Defoe.

Does anyone know whether Dos Santos is worth keeping?

EDIT: A bit long winded, so thanks for reading!

Still a really good season Spikester :thup: at least the scum didn't win the title.

If you have a role for GDS and he will see action then keep him. He has a really good PA. And can be devestating on his day. He's crap defensively though and can go missing against physical teams.

Good season Spike. Bringing home the FA cup after a 20 yr exile is :thup:

I personally don't rate GDS as good enough for the squad considering who else we have. I mean, where and when will he actually play? You can get a good £6m for him.

Edgar likes the tarty players though :D

I do like a bit of flair. Hasn't stopped me selling him this time though. He did great for me on 10.3 and 11.1. You play him as an AMC or AMR and just let him do his thing.

With 7 games left to play in the league we trail Citeh by 8 points and the Goons by 3. I'll be happy with second as long as I finish above the Goons. And to compound things I drew Barca in the quater finals of the Champions League

Still a really good season Spikester

Could have been better though!

at least the scum didn't win the title.

No, but they won the Champions League :(

If you have a role for GDS and he will see action then keep him. He has a really good PA. And can be devestating on his day. He's crap defensively though and can go missing against physical teams.

Might keep him in the squad!

Good season Spike. Bringing home the FA cup after a 20 yr exile is

Is the year a coincidence......2011 (ending in a 1) :cool:

I personally don't rate GDS as good enough for the squad considering who else we have. I mean, where and when will he actually play? You can get a good £6m for him.

Going to give him a season to try & prove himself :thup:

Edgar likes the tarty players though

:D

thanks lemoncurd i do have vidal ill try tinkering with his training as he seems more defensive for me

and sanchez doing great in pre season as amr inside forward so far

Your welcome graman.

I'll get a season 1 review and transfers for 1&2 up eventually so im not such a thread stalker and more of a thread contributor lol

With 7 games left to play in the league we trail Citeh by 8 points and the Goons by 3. I'll be happy with second as long as I finish above the Goons. And to compound things I drew Barca in the quater finals of the Champions League

8 pts is surmountable. Citeh are known to fumble around the finishing line

8 pts is surmountable. Citeh are known to fumble around the finishing line

Now we've dropped points to bloody Wolves :(

EDIT: That really annoys me, we go from drawing at Wolves to dismanteling Barca 3-0 at the Lane.

Now we've dropped points to bloody Wolves :(

EDIT: That really annoys me, we go from drawing at Wolves to dismanteling Barca 3-0 at the Lane.

Welcome to my world. I'd recommend reading the teamtalk threads (the "if you are clueless" and the "wolfsong" ones). Paying more attention to TT helped me rub out some (not all) of those annoying blips.

Spike: That's a great update, really good read. I'll use it as a template for my own, when I get around to writing it up.

Luka's not right this season. I think he's been affected by being made Captain full time. He was Vice Captain for seasons 1 and 2 but wore the armband mostly cos Led was always injured. But now he's officially got it he's just not clicking. Luckily everyone else is on fire so its not affecting our results, just the smoothness of our football seems to be off slightly.

Spike: That's a great update, really good read. I'll use it as a template for my own, when I get around to writing it up.

Glad you enjoyed it :D

Looking forward to reading yours :thup:

Arrgghh, The tutoring by Defoe has dropped Babacars determination to 14.... Bugger, but I guess it's the price I had to pay to get rid of that 'places shots' ppm. If only I'd waited to get him tutored by Olic.

Not all bad though, he just scored his first hatrick for me, against copenhagen in the champs league. 8-0 :D

Well that was a merry-go-round of coaches. All in 2 days. Real Madrid sacked Mourinho, then hired Wenger. Arsenal hired Van Gaal from Bayern (who I played two weeks ago, losing 5-4 :) ), Bayern didn't waste any time and hired Mancini from city straight away. The next news item was city hiring mourinho.

phew, are you all okay now? Now can I win the league pretty please whilst your teams adjust to new coaches. Unfortunately, Chelsea are on a run of wins in the league that is going to be pretty hard to catch, even if they are only 3 points in front of me with a game in hand. And it's not even christmas yet...

Season update 2011/2012

English premier league

j59nw9.png

League Cup

2r56pty.png

Champions League

255or44.png

Fa Cup

idy800.png

Not much of a transfer activity as the only players I bought were Edin dzeko(28 million pound) and rene adler (27 million pound)Sold sandro, Palyvuchenko, giovani dos santos and Bentley

I'm a convert to modric on the wing. I put my hands up, I was dead wrong, he kills out on the right. And a midfield trident of sandro, thud and pastore play some silky football that has to be seen to be believed. With olic running into the channels on the left with bale behind him running from deep, I've finally got the team playing as I want them - with creativity and flair. And it's not a bad lot of substitutes to come in if a different type of player is needed - VDV, niko, Lennon, palacios, jones and Defoe. If only crouch would stop bloody whining.

Great season there blackwolves. Patch 11.2 i presume?

Just signed Niko Kranjcar for my Liverpool team :D

Harry is an idiot in this game. He give Niko away for £4m when he could have got 10. He's giving away bassong for 3m, pav for 3m, and sandro rots in the reserves!

no! its 11.3 :D

First off - what a load of bollocks todays game was. JJ really isn't convincing, now is he? Dawson is an absolute rock, though. Anyway, I finally got around to make my review:

Season Review 201/2012

The first half of the season went beyond all expectations. Some tinkering with tactics, and subpar teamtalks, however, threw us off for a while, but we still ended the season on a relative high.

I stuck to my guns in the transfermarket about bringing in young talent, and weeding out the surplus in the squad, to make room for the ones, who develop well. Hopefully the money I make can go towards a new stadium (please mr. Levy!).

Players In - £12m

Talented youngsters, the pick probably being Holzhauser for 3M and a great brazilian regen striker for 1.4M

Players Out - £29m

Keane to West Ham for 6M

Jermaine Jenas to Blackburn 6M

Bentley to Villareal 5.75M

Hutton to Blackburn 5.5M

Pienaar to Atl. Madrid 3.8M

Button to Villa 1M

Loan Fees for a few players as well

Most of these players were either unhappy about lack of football, or wanted ridiculous wages in order to extend their contracts (I'm looking at you, JJ!).

Premier League

After leading for the first half of the season a slump saw United and the Arse pass us with some incredible winning streaks. Getting dumped out of the Champions League early helped us put a run together at the end of the season, and luckily both United and the Scum completely crumbled in the last games of the season, allowing us to retain our EPL title.

englishpremierdivisioniv.png

Domestic Cups

I was disappointed at our early exit in the FA cup. It was just one of those games. We fought bravely in the League Cup, though, and even if my board doesn't consider it important a trophy is a trophy.

tottenhamhotspurtottenhe.png

Champions League

We cruised through our group beating Barcelona twice(!). However our slump coincided with the Inter matches. Still, it was my mistake. We were 3-0 up at halftime at WHL, yet in stead of pulling back a little I let the lads continue to play swashbuckling attacking football, as we always do, and it cost us. I learnt alot from this.

tottenhamhotspurtottenh.png

Best Players

VdV - 30(4) appearances, 19 goals, 28 assists, 7.90 rating

Niko - 27(6) appearances, 13 goals, 17 assist, 7.60 rating

Bale - 29(2) appearances, 8 goals, 17 assists, 7.48 rating

Summary

A fairly good season, and I am managing to fulfill my ambition of Premier League dominance (two titles back-to-back) while using a low-cost transfer strategy. Getting a new stadium, and a top class youth/recruitment system is to of my agenda, along with getting our hands on the Champions League trophy within a few seasons.

My only worry is Modric. With Bale at AML and VdV at AMC, he can only slot in at MC, and he hasn't done well in either of the two first seasons. Also he doesn't do very well as an understudy for either, with Niko, conversely, playing amazing football whenever he gets the chance. I might cash in on the little magician if he doesn't get his act together next season.

Ahhh, back to my Spurs save i think :)

See where i left off. Oh, and Edgar, is there any reason why having 3 tactics in the match prep screen is a bad idea? Does it give them too much to do?

It just slows the rate they learn them at. But if they are similar then it won't matter so much (ie if tackling is the same throughout they are only learning one style of tackling etc). Also it retains a memory of all tactics used so they may retain knowledge of other systems for a while too.

Good season Oliseh, well done mate. Holzhauser is potentially great, he's coming on well for me.

Nice results PV.

Cheers Edgar

We managed to back it up with a hard fought 2 - 1 Victory in the 2nd Leg as well to progress,

But now it gets really difficult, Got Man Utd in the FA Cup Semi, and Have Chelsea in the Champions League Semi

Alongside a tricky Title Run in

Is gonna be tough

To follow up on PV's excellent results, I'd like to add this one:

tottenhamvbarcelonainfo.png

Now Rafa is out for a month, of course. And Modders is already (once again!) out for three. Bloody injuries always happen to my key players. I really hope to get more than the 30(4) games I got out of Rafa last year, but then he has to stay fit!

As some of you, (well Spike and edgar), may have read over the past few days, I have been reading some of the thread recently and I am going to be starting a Tottenham save very soon. Before I do though, I wouldn't mind a bit of advice to the following questions;

What formation have people found works best?

What position(s) in the squad need looking at?

Which youngsters from my squad are worth keeping an eye on?

Who should I be looking to offload?

How do you get the best from Gareth Bale?

Thanks in andvance for the help.

(And Purefun, if you are reading this my Lyon save definitely hasn't finished)

To follow up on PV's excellent results, I'd like to add this one:

tottenhamvbarcelonainfo.png

Now Rafa is out for a month, of course. And Modders is already (once again!) out for three. Bloody injuries always happen to my key players. I really hope to get more than the 30(4) games I got out of Rafa last year, but then he has to stay fit!

To follow up on your excellent win I'd like to add

fomwlu.png

This was on our way to the final where we went 2-0 down in the all English affair with Man United but came back to win the Champions League by 3 goals to 2.

As some of you, (well Spike and edgar), may have read over the past few days, I have been reading some of the thread recently and I am going to be starting a Tottenham save very soon. Before I do though, I wouldn't mind a bit of advice to the following questions;

What formation have people found works best? - the consensus appears to be 4-2(MC's)-3(AMR/AMC/AML)-1

What position(s) in the squad need looking at? - Its possible to win the title with the starting squad. But you could improve at both full back positions for sure, although Kyle Walkers loan for the 1st season needs to be factored in cos he's quality. Potentially you could look at AMR, Lennon should be a shoo in, but there's no real depth, Pienaar, Modric and VDV can all play there but its not ideal for any of them. A better striker is optional.

Which youngsters from my squad are worth keeping an eye on? - Bostock, M'Poku, Kane, Caulker & Walker and maybe Naughton are all good quality and potential stars if developed right. Mason, Livermore, Townsend and Rose are maybe's. Big maybe's.

Who should I be looking to offload? - Maybe a right back or even 2 if you plan on buying. Maybe a centre back although fitness is a huge consideration. Obviously. You can decent money from City for Jenas which is possibly a good move, he's average really. You might need to buy another centre mid though. City will also pay £10m+ for King. Sacrilege in my book but you don't have the same emotional attachment. A striker if you plan on buying. Do not sell Niko Kranjcar. He's brilliant at AMC and AML. Can also play as a playmaker at MC and is just FB.

How do you get the best from Gareth Bale? - AML Inside forward/support - with cut inside for more goals or move into channels for more assists. He gets loads of both either way but thats how I've found it to pan out.

Thanks in andvance for the help.

(And Purefun, if you are reading this my Lyon save definitely hasn't finished)

I don't need to tell you that my advice is in bold.

I'm glad you've placated Purefun. He'd ban me and close the thread.

Not much to add to Edgars advice, except spell out why the 4231 is preferred: Van der Vaart and Bale. They are both much, much superior performers (worldbeaters, really) in AMC and AML respectively, where they are more ordinary (though by no means bad) in a 442.

Of the talents Walker becomes a great RB every time, the rest seems to vary. Caulker has become class for me, Bostock did well, but in the end stagnated (low PA?), I didn't have any luck with M'Poku, and Kane refuses to be tutored so I am done with him (coaches still think he'll come good, though).

Oh - and IMO Naughton and O'Hara are worth keeping as they are good backup players who dont complain though you give them very few games.

Batty: That's awesome. Loving how well people are doing with Spurs here.

I always terminate Stipe, and get in a better backup than Cudi when possible.

Injured, out for 3 weeks with a twisted ankle. Defoe is out for 3 months with a torn calf muscle, hence the signing of Leandro Damiao.

Ok. Don't know much about Damiao.

For some reason my striker (JD or Kadlec) on top in my 4231 is getting very crappy ratings. What do people play their striker as (provided they use a 4231)?

Adv forward now, used to be poacher. Set as target man/run onto ball or to feet dependent on who it is.

Right lads, after a brief bit of time away from FM and my beloved Spurs, I'm back, I've started again this time so no transfers can take place in the opening transfer season, just so I don't buy players I don't need, we have plenty of depth until January at least, should be good :)

For some reason my striker (JD or Kadlec) on top in my 4231 is getting very crappy ratings. What do people play their striker as (provided they use a 4231)?

I was playing with a poacher first season, but have now reverted to complete fwd (support), just to bring a defender out of his comfort zone. Even defoe plays it well, which surprised me.

Defoe(who i am beginning to dislike intensely- possibly due to his ineptitude in real life) Poacher,

Crouch as Target man support

Pav as advanced forward.

Archived