The Rangers, Champions of Scotland thread: Season 05/06

Ter

• SI Staff

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Rangers manager Alex McLeish fears new signing Brahim Hemdani could miss the start of the new season.

The former Marseilles captain came off after half an hour of Tuesday's friendly against Ipswich after aggravating a groin injury.

"It is a concern," said McLeish. "We don't know how much of a concern at the moment because it is difficult to tell right after a game.

"Brahim injured his groin before we went to Belfast last weekend."

Hemdani had declared himself fit before the 2-0 victory over Ipswich, but it proved to be a bad decision.

However, McLeish was delighted with the return to action of goalkeeper Stefan Klos, who had been missing since January with a cruciate ligament injury.

"There is no doubting the quality of the man and it is great to see him back," added McLeish. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Shouldn't really have been playing him if he had a slight groin problem before the game IMO, but he'll be able to sit out the friendlies against Borussia Munchenmunchenmunchenmunchengladbach and St Mirren and hopefully be OK for the league opener or second game of the season. Hopefully it might be a chance for Dragan Mladenovic to show what he can do.

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Rangers have re-enterd discussions with Lille over Greek defender Stathis Tavlaridis. The Scottish champions have imposed a 24 hour deadline for Lille to accept or reject their 1.5 million pounds' bid for the stopper, who today pleaded with the French club to pave the way for his dream move to Glasgow.

Having initially failed with a bid of 1 million pounds last month, Rangers tested the water with Lille with an improved offer near 1.5 million pounds for Sathis Tavlaridis. This too was dismissed and since then their has been little dialogue between the two clubs.

But today, Rangers chief executive Martin Bain contacted Lille advising them that the Scottish champions are still interested in signing Tavlaridis, but the Ibrox club say they won't budge from their 1.5 million pounds offer. The defender's once again expressed his desire to quit France for Scotland.

He said: "I don't want to stay with Lille, I want to play with Rangers." He added, "I haven't the enthusiasm nor the courage to keep playing here. I don't understand how Lille want to keep a player who does not want to stay"

Tavlaridis has three years left on his contract and Lille would be willing to sell him if they receive an offer in the region of 2.5 to 3 million pounds. But with Rangers also playing hardball, it appears unlikely the Greek defender will head to Scotland.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

When Ross first made the breakthrough he looked a decent player, looked like someone who could maybe hold a regular place in a couple of seasons. He just has not made it at all, he never took the potential he had and strived to be a decent player. More suited to a Dundee or Livi.

He's an utter prìck. I dont say bad things about Rangers players but he just takes the biscuit. You could struggle to count in one hand how many good games he has had for us.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by GP1873:

Fanfan loyal </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

he looks akin to Basile Boli to me (the shape, hopefully not the player) icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by TM:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by GP1873:

Fanfan loyal </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

he looks akin to Basile Boli to me (the shape, hopefully not the player) icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I hope your bloody right there! haha

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">RANGERS are today closing in on the £500,000 signing of Belgian international left back Philippe Leonard.

The 6ft Standard Liege defender could become Alex McLeish's fifth summer signing in the next 48 hours after a further round of talks today.

The 31-year-old Leonard spent seven years at Monaco before moving to Nice in 2003 and then Liege last summer. He is a close friend of current Rangers stars Dado Prso and Jose Pierre-Fanfan, and an international team-mate of Thomas Buffel.

McLeish wants to strengthen the left side of his team and is very keen on Leonard, who is discussing a two-year contract. He has a year to run on his deal, but has an agreement to leave for a suitable offer.

Leonard, who has 18 caps, has already turned down Fulham.

McLeish needs support on the left after losing Gregory Vignal, Bojan Djordjic and Shota Arveladze, and with big doubts over the future of Michael Ball and Peter Lovenkrands.

If the Leonard deal progresses he could even make his debut in the friendly against Borussia Moenchengladbach on Saturday at Ibrox, as he is match fit after starting pre-season with Standard in June.

It also looks as though the deal for Sotirios Kyrgiakos is now dead, with sources at Rangers revealing they are looking at other central defensive targets.

Lille's Greek defender Stathis Tavlaridis has issued a come and get me plea, but he has a £3.5m price tag.

Rangers have already had a £2m offer rejected for the 25-year-old former Arsenal man. They are unlikely to move back in unless they ship out some of their surplus players.

One of those, right back Mo Ross, has been interesting Ipswich, who Rangers beat 2-0 at Portman Road last night. But they are cash- strapped and the £200,000 fee on top of Ross's wages may well be a stumbling block.

Norwich also had a scout at the game last night and could make an offer for Ross, who is out of contract at the end of the season.

Meantime, new boy Brahim Hemdani could miss the start of the season after injuring his groin at Ipswich. And strikers Dado Prso and Steven Thompson are both struggling with knocks that could also see them miss Livingston on July 31.

Rangers' medical staff were today assessing the full extent of French-Algerian star Hemdani's problem after he limped off after just 28 minutes.

McLeish has already cast doubts over his availability for the curtain-raiser at Ibrox a week on Sunday.

McLeish will hope Hemdani's problem is not serious, although his injury offset the bonus of Stefan Klos sailing through a return.

"I can't say right now how bad Brahim is," said McLeish. "He had a groin problem at the weekend and missed the Linfield game.

"He declared himself fit for 45 minutes last night, but then again aggravated it, and that is obviously a concern. We couldn't get a full picture last night, but we'll look to get that today."

Prso hasn't featured in the last three games after picking up a knock in Canada.

McLeish said of the influential big Croat: "Dado is doubtful for the Borussia game. He did have some swelling on his knee in Canada, although that has gone down now."

Better news is that Marvin Andrews is back and could feature on Saturday </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nah, it will never be as easy as that...

A few injuries and we're back to Malcolm, Dragan and Lovenkrands.

We've made some improvements and the squad is looking good, but it's debatable just how far in front we are of Celtic (if at all).

I'd suggest cautious optismism before outright arrogance.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ooh aah ray parlour:

Gudge would like to know if anyone have a link for the goals from your game against Ipswich? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, you can see them on Gersnet.net...

icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gudge:

where? icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

In the main Ranger forum; under Rangers World highlights... icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ter:

I'm a great manager </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hardly, we're sitting in 8th... You're sacked!

icon_mad.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Frankie:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ter:

I'm a great manager </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hardly, we're sitting in 8th... You're sacked!

icon_mad.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ter's a great manager. icon14.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by McDonut:

Cannie be ar5ed C+Ping but BBC's reporting Soti's back in Glasgow for further talks. Bain says the deal's '50-50'. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The Soto soap opera continues with a new episode icon_cool.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by YippeeKaeYay:

BBC News saying the deal for Soti is dead once and for all icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

im ignoring all speculation for the time being tbh. its been off and on more than a lightbulb

Soto Soto GTF!

Like i said, if he doesnt want to be here then GTF!

We offered him £500,000 a year, and if he plays 90% of this seasons games he would then get £1,000,000. What the feck is wrong with that deal, he was getting feck all at Pana

Soto Soto GTF!

We offered him £500,000 a year, and if he plays 90% of this seasons games he would then get £1,000,000. What the feck is wrong with that deal, he was getting feck all at Pana </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

His contract with Panathinaikos was renewed and expires next summer.

A player cannot sign with another club unless the club he's contracted with agrees as well.

Which part don't you get?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jimka:

Soto Soto GTF!

We offered him £500,000 a year, and if he plays 90% of this seasons games he would then get £1,000,000. What the feck is wrong with that deal, he was getting feck all at Pana </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

A player cannot sign with another club unless the club he's contracted with agrees as well.

Which part don't you get? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

the deal struck by Panathinaikos , i reckon thats the part no one gets?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by stabwest:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jimka:

Soto Soto GTF!

the deal struck by Panathinaikos , i reckon thats the part no one gets? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

In greece clubs can extend players contracts by a year without the players agreement.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Vidmar:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by stabwest:

Soto Soto GTF!

the deal struck by Panathinaikos , i reckon thats the part no one gets? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

In greece clubs can extend players contracts by a year without the players agreement. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

hmmmmmmm so where does this stop ? does this mean Panathinaikos can dicate his wage as well?

and what happens once that years up can they still extend it without the players agreement.

surely forcing a player to have another year without there consent, goes totally against the bosman theroy big time???????

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gary Toner:

Nothing to do with Panathinaikos now anyway, Soto turned down the contract which could have netted him 1m per year subject to apperances.

That's what GP1987 was on about now the deal between Rangers and Panathinaikos. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If he needed 1 more appearance to get is 90% do you reckon Rangers would play him, after all that appearance would cost Rangers £500k...hmmm the Michael Ball scenario comes to mind.

Archived