The Rangers, Champions of Scotland thread: Season 05/06

Ter

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FrankJJ:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Vidmar:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Kyle:

Peter Lovenkrands is in talks with us, is he any good or utter rubbish? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

he won't go to you, hes not interested in playing football just collecting a huge pay packet and buying top range cars </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Talking about me again Viddy! icon15.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

could'nt resist Frank icon_wink.gif

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by sav112:

I see a new CB on the way, mind you we dont have any left wingers if he goes.... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Young Adam could do a job

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Powlay:

£600-£750k for lovenpants.....AGH Boro are so stupido! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Shhhhh.... don't ruin it for us now, we're so close.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ter:

He's playing in the French league and he's not Lithuanian so it's probably us if there's anything in it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You know it's Gretna.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ter:

Have you signed him yet? icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

thankfully, no, not yet.

Hopefully never icon_smile.gif but there is always tomorrow so maybe he will sign then.

• SI Staff

Full Time... N'Guessan sounded like an exciting player when he came on and McCormack had another good game.

I'd go with this team for Sunday...

Klos

Ricksen

Murray

Andrews

Fanfan

Rae

Ferguson

McCormack

Buffel

Novo

Prso

• SI Staff

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Vidmar:

i'll be there on sunday, for both the unfurling of the SPL league champions flag and the subsequent horsing of Sellik luvvers FC icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Me tae icon14.gif

Anyone at the game last night, how did N'Guessen look?

I'm a bit puzzled why Fanfan and Andrews didn't play together at all last night, as this should be our first choice partnership at the moment it's strange to throw them straight into a game without them having played together.

Wasn't at the game, but I hear N'Guessen did very well when he came on. Strong, tricky and pacey so should give us another option in wide areas if he can develop well...

I doubt Andrews will be alongside Fanfan on Saturday. Will most probably be Malcolm who has played alongside the Frenchman a few times. Although all 3 will have trained together this week, so Andrews may play.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I doubt Andrews will be alongside Fanfan on Saturday </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I doubt that too since we're on the sunday icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Frankie:

Wasn't at the game, but I hear N'Guessen did very well when he came on. Strong, tricky and pacey so should give us another option in wide areas if he can develop well...

I doubt Andrews will be alongside Fanfan on Saturday. Will most probably be Malcolm who has played alongside the Frenchman a few times. Although all 3 will have trained together this week, so Andrews may play. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

the young boy did ok nothing special to be honest, but we being played on the right wing even although he left footed...

charlie adam was the star again for me last nite, mccormack, prso and marv were also looking sharp. the dragan and burke were shocking as usual. the rest were fairly average, neito is still to convince me, good first touch and will hopefully progress but still not ready to be a regular yet imo

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">RANGERS have rejected a £4m bid for Thomas Buffel from Turkish giants Galatasaray.

SportTimes can reveal the Istanbul club's move for the 24-year-old Belgium playmaker.

They were informed Buffel, who only arrived at Ibrox in January in a £2.3m switch from Feyenoord, is not for sale. He is considered an integral part of boss Alex McLeish's plans.

Galatasaray are now managed by Buffel's countryman, Eric Gerets, who was desperate to get the Rangers player on board.

Buffel today revealed his agent told him of the approach from Turkey, and that it instantly had been booted out.

"I know there was an approach and Rangers rejected it," Buffel said. "My agent informed me about it and I didn't talk to anyone from Rangers. Galatasaray have a Belgian manager and they talked to Rangers about me.

"But I am very happy here at Rangers. I am just looking forward to the new season."

Buffel struggled to make an impact after his move from Holland during the winter transfer window. He started to show signs of his ability during the champion-ship run-in and has been Rangers' most impressive player during pre-season.

Peter Lovenkrands, meanwhile, was expected to train with Middlesbrough today before a decision is made on a £600,000 move to the Premiership.

The Dane spent yesterday on Teesside looking at Boro's facilities and was impressed by what he saw.

Boro manager Steve McLaren would like him on board before the team leaves for a tournament in Portugal tomorrow.

Gers boss McLeish confirmed he should be able to move in the transfer market this week if the deal goes through and Lovenkrands £17,000-a-week wages are released.

But he did concede that left wing could be a problem position for the curtain-raiser against Livingston if Lovenkrands finally goes and no replacement is found quickly - with the European signing deadline now just eight days away.

"Peter has gone down there for a look, and they'll have a look at him," confirmed McLeish. "There would be possible scope to do something if we get a fee in this week from that.

"I am hopeful we will be able to add one or two new faces to the squad - but it all depends on players going.

"But, yes, it is a bit of problem area for us given the players we have lost from the left and that would increase if Peter does go."

McLeish said he was not close to any deals despite suggestions he was looking around England for a centre half, probably on loan.

And he insisted that the Sotirios Kyrgiakos deal was dead - despite rumours that talks may have re-opened.

"It's still dead, as of my last chat with Martin Bain," he said.

McLeish revealed Brahim Hemdani was getting intensive treatment on his groin tear - but he looks a big doubt for the first leg of the Champions League qualifier a fortnight tonight. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I expect him to leave for £5m soon

Thought I'd post my weekly Gersnet article here for you guys who don't post there... Sorry it's a few days early, but I might not get a chance tomorrow and I'm away golfing on Friday... icon_wink.gif

-------

So, it’s been over 2 months since Helicopter Sunday and many of us are still revelling in that great day. However, it’s back to business this weekend and it’s imperative that all at the club are not looking back but forward to a new season.

Eck has made a few decent signings during pre-season; Neito, Hemdani, Pierre-Fanfan and Murray will all improve the squad and although Hemdani has a groin strain, I’d expect all 4 to feature strongly as the season grows. Although a few players have also left (Arveladze, Kyrgiakos and Vignal to name a few), the squad does look better on paper at least, than of anytime in the previous 2-3 years. With a few young players also showing up well, we have much to look forward to ahead of the big kick-off.

• Rangers v Livingston: Sun 31st July, 2pm KO (Live on Setanta)

The first game is at home, but certainly won’t be a walkover. Livingston were slightly lucky to stay up last season in controversial circumstances but as they proved on their SPL debut a few years ago (0-0 draw at Ibrox in the first SPL game of season 2001/02) that they are capable of upsetting us. However, they have lost a few important players also (Burton O’Brien to Sheffield Wednesday and David McNamee injured) so we should be looking to open our title defence with a good win ensuring all 3 points.

Eck has played a few formations in pre-season and although we’ve hardly set the heather alight, we’ve looked dangerous in most games and many players have done well. Apart from Hemdani, Hutton and Gavin Rae, Eck should have a fully fit squad to choose from and it will be very interesting what team and formation he goes with.

Defence

Starting at the back Eck has an immediate headache in selecting a goalkeeper. Stefan Klos has returned to full fitness while Ronald Waterreus hasn’t let him down in any game he’s played so far. IMHO, I think Eck will choose Klos. ‘Der Goalie’ has been a great goalkeeper for us over the years and although Waterreus seems just as reliable, Klos might just bring that extra lift back to the team and fans.

The centre-halves are more difficult to pick. Pierre-Fanfan looks to be a good signing and has done reasonably well in pre-season. Marvin Andrews was a great success last year and even although his overall fitness is still questionable, he will be difficult to leave out. However, I think Eck may just shock a few of us on Sunday by playing Bob Malcolm alongside Fanfan. He has played in most of the friendlies and for the time being at least seems to have been relatively assured in central defence. This, along with being ahead of Andrews in terms of match-fitness may mean a starting slot. It’s very close to call with Zurab Khizanishvili also still at the club.

At right-back, we’re likely to see a return to defence for Fernando Ricksen. He finished the season there last term and did well, although Eck might be tempted to play him in midfield in the absence of Brahim Hemdani. On the left-side, the poorly treated Michael Ball should start ahead of the ever-improving Steven Smith. Ball does earn a lot of money and doesn’t really provide value for money, but he has shown he can be dependable at left-back. As such, if we’re paying him, I hope we play him.

Midfield

Moving into midfield, who actually plays there will depend on what formation and tactics Eck employs. Since we’ve disgracefully not strengthened the left side, Eck may resort to his favoured 4-3-3 and as such Ian Murray and Alex Rae may play alongside Barry Ferguson. Personally I think (and hope) Eck sticks with the 4-2-3-1 of the tail end of last season. We were quite solid with this formation and I feel is gives us good options whether an offensive or defensive set-up is required. Ergo, I feel the ‘defensive’ 2 will be Barry Ferguson and Alex Rae. Fergie is a first pick and with an honest grafter beside him in Alex Rae, that will enable him to get further forward and dictate the play in dangerous areas instead of in his own half. Rae isn’t a great player, but he has shown a few times that he can provide reliable back-up. Certainly he should offer more than Dragan Mladonevic who still seems well short of the fitness, hunger and sharpness required of a first team player.

The 3 further forward are likely to be Nacho Novo, Thomas Buffel and Ian Murray. Novo appears to have recovered well from a close-season hernia operation and may continue his role on the wide right of midfield. Although he prefers to play up front, he has done well on the right as his pace and hard work is a good outlet for the playmakers. Buffel, like the end of the last season, is arguably our most dangerous performer and it’s no surprise other teams such as Galatasary are already interested in him. Quick and skilful whilst finding good positions coming from deeper areas, if he can show consistency and improve in a physical sense, he will be a real threat. Unfortunately, we don’t have the same talent available for the left-hand side. IMO, it’s bordering on the negligent that we’ve not strengthened this area of the team. With Vignal, Djordic and Shota all leaving, while Ball and Lovenkrands look to be on their way - we’re well short on the left. However, Ian Murray should give us another option and he has shown at Hibs that he can play left-midfield to a decent degree. As such, I reckon he’ll be preferred to Charlie Adam. Adam, though has a wonderful left-foot and can hopefully develop into a genuine contender for this role. He’s certainly one young player that should be involved more often given the current left-sided player dearth.

Attack

With only one real position available, it’s pretty certain that Dado Prso will be the main striker once again. Hard working, dangerous and capable of scoring goals, the big Croatian is our best forward and once fully fit will hopefully start where he left off in his debut year. In reserve we have plenty of players capable of replacing him if required. Steven Thompson has shown he can score goals and do well, while new signing Federico Nieto looks to have the raw talent that could mature him into a first team pick. Hopefully, the younger guys Ross McCormack and Bob Davidson will also continue their development and both have shown they can score goals if given the chance.

Team (4-2-3-1):

Below is the team I think Eck may pick on Sunday. One thing is for sure, if I’m wrong we still have the personnel required to win no matter the formation. I guess we’ll all have our own thoughts but no matter who Eck picks, we must give them our backing ahead of a tough CL 3rd Round Qualifier and Old Firm game in mid-late August. A strong start is essential if we’ve to improve in Europe and retain our title.

_________________________________Klos___________________________________

Ricksen__________Pierre-Fanfan____________Andrews____________________Ball

_____________________Rae_________________Ferguson ©____________________

Novo____________________________Buffel_____________________________Murray

_________________________________Prso____________________________________

Subs:

R. Waterreus

M. Andrews

C. Adam

F. Nieto

S. Thompson

C. Burke

S. Smith

• Supporters’ Groups

As many of you know, I’m involved with both the RST and the Blue Order. For those of you with new season tickets or if you haven’t heard of the groups before, I implore you to read up more about them. Both have hugely important roles to play within Rangers FC and its imperative that all fans get to know about them and their initiatives.

The Blue Order will once again be located in the Broomloan Front for the new season and I hope every fan at Ibrox joins in with their admirable singing and displays. Without them it depresses me to think of how dreary match day could become. Find out more at http://www.theblueorder.co.uk which is hosted by us at Gersnet. Your support is most welcome.

The RST (as you can see from http://www.rangerssupporterstrust.co.uk) is a democratic fans’ body which is trying to get supporters’ representation on the Rangers board. Can I remember you all that we are the biggest annual investers in RFC by far and yet we don’t have a say on how the club is run. With your support the Trust can change that for the better. Indeed, over the next few weeks exciting news will be released on how we intend to do that in a positive sense for us all. Watch this space!!!

• Football Manager 2006

As the SI Games Rangers researcher for the forthcoming addition to the best football management series, I’m always looking for more information about anything to do with the club. I’m especially interesting in developing the youth team research, so if anyone is well-informed in that area, please give me a shout via Gersnet or my FM fan site – http://www.FMRangers.co.uk .

Apologies for the rather large article (and the plugs!) but as usual regarding our great club, there is much to be discussed and debated. Hence, if you want to talk about anything Rangers, you can do so in our friendly atmosphere at our Gersnet.net forums.

Enjoy the new season

Frankie

Gersnet Admin.

icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gudge:

there's only two Marvin Andrews icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

One was meant to be Malcolm... glad you noticed that mate... icon_frown.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by deerokus:

how the hell did you get so much money for lovenkrands? icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

we didnt, moves off

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by deerokus:

how the hell did you get so much money for lovenkrands? icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

we didnt, moves off </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_redface.gif

we didnt, moves off </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_mad.gif

Archived