The Rangers, Champions of Scotland thread: Season 05/06

Ter

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ibroxhero:

Is this a loan with a view to a permanent move? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Some reports saying a year's loan, others saying a 1.5 million purchase.

In all likelyhood it'll be a loan deal, possibly with a future option.

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest sav112

Just got one of the wee flag you got in Ibrox for the flag day, quality.

I'll put it beside my signed treble winning team ball.

icon_cool.gif

if we dont get Rodriguez, we are being linked with a £1m move for Hearts defender Andy Webster icon13.gif the guy is an aright defender, but he's not Gers class and would hardly play (ie, like most of the Scottish talent we've had in recent years)

Guest sav112

It’s the second year on the trot we have installed a complete new set of center backs if we fit Rodriguez who is probably a good player with Fanfan. It would be good to find a pairing and keep them a few years.

• SI Staff

After tonights results, here are the 'predicted' pots for the group stage should all the seeded teams go through...

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">Pot 1 coef. Pot 2 coef.

------------------------ --- ------- ------------------------ --- -------

Liverpool (TH) * Eng 115.864 FC Porto Por 93.739

Real Madrid Esp 131.326 Juventus Ita 93.191

AC Milan Ita 121.191 PSV Eindhoven Ned 84.145

FC Barcelona Esp 117.326 Olympique Lyon Fra 81.324

Manchester United *** Eng 110.864 Panathinaikos *** Gre 70.714

Internazionale *** Ita 101.191 Chelsea Eng 68.864

Bayern München Ger 97.166 Villarreal *** Esp 58.326

Arsenal Eng 93.864 Sporting CP Lisbon *** Por 55.739

Pot 3 coef. Pot 4 coef.

------------------------ --- ------- ------------------------ --- -------

AS Monaco *** Fra 53.324 Glasgow Rangers *** Sco 40.476

Ajax *** Ned 52.145 Dinamo Kiev ** Ukr 40.199

Club Brugge *** Bel 50.476 Werder Bremen *** Ger 40.166

Anderlecht ** Bel 47.476 Lokomotiv Moscow ** Rus 38.469

Olympiakos Piraeus Gre 46.714 Benfica Por 36.739

Schalke '04 Ger 44.166 Rosenborg BK *** Nor 36.665

Sparta Praha Cze 43.223 Fenerbahçe Tur 23.872

Lille OSC Fra 41.324 FC Petrzalka * Svk 4.850</pre>

If one more seeded team gets knocked out like our friends across the city then if we should make the Champions League group stage then we'll find ourselves in Pot Three.

Potential teams above us going out could be Monaco (v Betis), Inter (v Shakhtar), Villarreal (v Everton) and Ajax (v Brondby).

We probably wont even get through, but if we do, then it doesnt matter who we get in pot 1 we'll get humped by them but obviously an English team would perhaps provide more money or something, doesnt matter who we get in pot 3 they're all pretty average, so its a matter of avoiding Porto, Juve, Chelsea or Villareal in pot 2. I'd quite fancy Liverpool, Sporting, Anderlecht and oh yeah, us.

Whereas we'll probably get Real Madrid, Chelski, and Ajax.

Actually we probably wont.

IF we managed to negotiate the 3rd Qualifying Round (and it's a big if), the best we can seriously hope for is to finish 3rd. As such, if we could get into the third pot, that would help our chances somewhat.

For the record, I would like:

Liverpool

PSV or Panathinaikos

FC Petrzalka

A Germans team wouldn't go amiss though as they supply plenty of TV money (if that's the case in the CL also).

icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by McDonut:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by sav112:

thought i would share icon_biggrin.gif

http://img317.imageshack.us/img317/8522/artmedia4ll.png </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

that versions been updated mate

here </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_biggrin.gif im a happy bunny this week.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Vidmar:

aye he is class that boy </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

don't matter - Famagusta through \o/

1-0 final score and Anorthosis were down to 10 men for the last 25 minutes.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Vidmar:

Not class enough. they only won 1-0 tonight, we play Famagusta.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jimbo22:

Not class enough. they only won 1-0 tonight, we play Famagusta. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

good stuff icon_cool.gif

Guest LargsThistle1889

Im in Ayia Napa in Cyprus (about 15 miles from Famagusta) and all you can hear is horns and people cheering. Some result.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gary Toner:

Hasn't that Kinkladze story been in one of the tabloids already icon_biggrin.gif

But yeah i expect more </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

aye it was in the paper last week, but you know what journalists in this country are like, they'll re-use it so they can get some needle into the game

I expect it will he hard tie, but its one we really should win and there simply no excuses if we lose. There cant be any complacency after Celtic's 1st leg shows what such can do, and we have about the best side we can have I think at the moment and should be better than the Cypriots over the piece.

But then again, being a Scots side we'll no doubt attempt to do it the hard way.

Guest sav112

Well the Tic just took a sore one with regards to reputation in Europe and sadly more importantly to some in that club have lost out in any Europe cash pot.

Hopefully we can get into the CL group stage, failure would be a missed opportunity to firstly enjoy some great nights at Ibrox, bring in much needed revenue to bolster the squad and raise our profile to attract good players. And not forgetting steal a march on our rivals with Celtic failing.

We still need a CB icon_rolleyes.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> FOOTBALL: MONACO DASH TO TIE UP JULIEN

Aug 4 2005

GERS CHIEF JETS TO FRANCE AS EURO DEADLINE NEARS

By Keith Jackson

RANGERS chairman David Murray jetted into the South of France last night on a deadline-busting mission to save his £1.5million bid for Monaco centre-half Julien Rodriguez Record Sport revealed yester-day that injury-hit Monaco boss Didier Dechamps was threatening to cup tie Rodriguez by using him in next week's Champions League play-off with Real Betis.

Rangers are desperate to strike a deal for the 27-year-old and would prefer to have him signed up today so he can be part of Alex McLeish's squad for their £10m showdown with Anorthosis Famagusta And Murray's arrival on the Cote d'Azur late yesterday was a sign that Scotland's champions believe they can get their man.

A Rangers source said: 'The fact the chairman has travelled to Monaco tells you all you need to know.This deal is very much on.

'The bottom line here is that the player wants to move to Ibrox and we want him as part of our plans.

'Hopefully the situation will be much clearer by tomorrow morning

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hope this guys worth it and that McLeish has a sure fire 'back up' who is keenly waiting to be signed before the CL deadline, although tbf the players we have should be able to get us through the qualfier and I think there is a further deadline for the groups yeah?

From Sky Sports:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Rangers are interested in signing Dinamo Zagreb defender Bostjan Cesar.

The highly-rated stopper has emerged as a possible alternative if Monaco's Julien Rodriguez is not snapped up by the SPL champions.

Reports north of the border claim the Ibrox outfit are bidding to clinch the capture of the Monaco man on Thursday but there are doubts that the transfer can be sealed before the first UEFA Champions League deadline.

Cesar scored the winning goal for Slovenia in their recent World Cup qualifier with Italy.

It is understood that The Gers noted his ability in a pre-season friendly game in Canada between the two clubs.

"After the game, I talked with people from the club," revealed the 23-year-old.

"They told me that they have already watched me before and that they think I'm a very interesting player.

"But that's all.

"I don't know if my club has received any formal offer from The Gers but I would sure be happy to play for such a big club."

Some years ago, there was talk of Cesar joining Milan or Juventus with Werder Bremen and Liverpool also mentioned as possible suitors. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gudge:

feck the defender, get in a left mid icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Lovenkrands has made that position his own icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Some years ago, there was talk of Cesar joining Milan or Juventus with Werder Bremen and Liverpool also mentioned as possible suitors. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Agents don't half blether some sh!te sometimes icon_biggrin.gif

• SI Staff

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Peacemaker7:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gudge:

feck the defender, get in a left mid icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Lovenkrands has made that position his own icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If he plays like he did against Livingston then he will...

Him and Murray linked up well, although there were a couple of misunderstandings

he's just playing for his move IMO

once he gets it he'll start playing sh1te icon_frown.gif

even if he does play well we still need a backup who is an actual left mid, not a central midfielder or a striker who can play there

Adam is probably the only back up we have

• SI Staff

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Adam is probably the only back up we have </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't think it's that much of a problem, there are loads of players who could play there...

Ball, Buffel, Novo, G.Rae (icon_biggrin.gif), Burke, Murray, Namouchi, Fetai, Adam and McCormack

Archived