FM11: English small club to big club challenge: extended edition - Levels 7-11

B.W.G - Merthyr Town - nPower League Championship (Level 2) - 2018/19

Transfers - I basically threw a tantrum and went to board to request more budget using the rivals will get ahead option, needless to say it worked :p

Competitions

Championship - Table - Well that was a bit too easy. I honestly thought with all the ex-prem sides, it would be a bit harder. 6 was our magic number this season as we beat Scunthorpe and Sheffield Wednesday 6-0 while we beat Coventry and Nottingham Forest 6-1. Its also a sad day for Newcastle as I don't think they will be in the Championship much longer as you saw they finished 20th, but they will be losing money due to the reduced capacity of St. James Park as it now only holds 38207 and their finances are insecure!!!

FA Cup - Semi-Finals - Our run to the final was winning 4-0 against Bristol City in the 3rd round. Beat Watford 5-1 in the 4th, 5-2 against Birmingham in the 5th before we took the scalp of Utd in the quarter finals by beating them 1-0. As for the semi, all I can say is Tottenham got lucky. On another day we could have won the match but thats football for you, to win the game game you have to bury the chances. In the 5 matches we had in the FA Cup, we faced 4 premiership sides (Bristol City, Birmingham, Utd, Tottenham) so I definetely got a good view of what I am up against next season.

League Cup - 3rd Round - We beat Bristol Rovers 4-0 in the 1st, beat Leicester 3-0 in the second before we faced Man Utd in the 3rd. To be fair, Utd should have won in normal time but they couldn't convert their chances. We got lucky and managed to hold out till the penalty shootout where we had no luck. When my squad is fully developed then maybe we can do better in this cup.

Players/Awards

I won Manager of the Year in which I deserved seeing as I was predicted 24th!!

George Fletcher was top scorer hitting 50 goals in 51 appearances and this included a 10 hour goal drought!!! He was Top Scorer in the championship and also won Fans Player of the Year and he is still only 21......frightening.

Andy Whitam topped the assists chart with 26.

We had 9 players feature in Team of the Year

Also Jose Quintas has been capped by Portugal at the age of 26. He is also now Merthyr Town Captain!!

Expectations

First off, we're having a nice expansion of 10500 which will give it a capacity of 12,500. I will be playing in front of 1760 people till 5th April 2020. One word for my board.......morons.

We are expected to stay clear of relegation, 4th round of the FA Cup and 3rd of League Cup. I have other ideas.....I'm going for mid table and later stages of the cups. My aim for this season is to make a statement......Merthyr Town are here and we're here to stay.

While we made the Premiership, its also a brilliant day for Gedling MW fans everywhere as they have been promoted to League 2! They are the first team out side the top 6 divisions to do so. Gedling MW started in the East Midlands League (Level 10!!!) What makes it sweeter is that they won the Blue Square Premier and have only had 1 takeover which was a consortium.

Season      Division            Position     FA Cup    Champs League     Euro CUp     Acheivements
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2010/11   Toolstation D1(L10)      1st       2nd Rnd        N/A            N/A        Promotion
2011/12   Toolstation Prm(L9)      1st       2nd Rnd        N/A            N/A        Promotion
2012/13   Zamaretto D1SW (L8)      1st       3rd Rnd        N/A            N/A        Promotion,FA Trophy Winners
2013/14   Zameretto Prem (L7)      1st       3rd Rnd        N/A            N/A        Promotion,FA Trophy Winners
2014/15   Bl.Square South(L6)      1st       4th Rnd        N/A            N/A        Promotion,FA Trophy Winners
2015/16   Bl.Square Prem (L5)      1st       5th Rnd        N/A            N/A        Promotion,FA Trophy Winners
2016/17   nPower League 2(L4)      1st       3rd Rnd        N/A            N/A        Promotion,JPT Winners
2017/18   nPower League 1(L3)      1st       5th Rnd        N/A            N/A        Promotion,JPT Winners
2018/19   nPower C'ship  (L2)      1st      Semi-Finals     N/A            N/A        Promotion.

• Replies 399
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bloody hell BWG - how do you do it? I follow the Gundo thread as well, so this is two in a row where you've basically stormed it. I make it 24 seasons of yours that I've read (and kudos, btw, on your reporting style - always a good read) and you've won your league 23 times (and runner-up in the 24th, your first season in the Welsh Prem with a newly-promoted semi-pro team). Granted, a lot of them were the Welsh Premiership ;-)

Seriously though - with the funds you've had and the transfers you've made it just seems so outrageous that you've had straight promotions. You won the Championship with 80% of a squad that wasn't a favourite to get out of League 2 two seasons prior! So come on - what's the secret?

daemonic - ye I'll be lucky if that happens but man city release a wonderkid who I managed to snap up 10k a week and hes been capped by England as well so you never know :eek:

[c] - the quote below is from daemonic in the hall of fame thread from fm10 which I think it probably sums it up best.

... but it does seem to allow you to build a bit of a snowball effect when you start so low down the leagues.

A few league wins and maybe a cup and even with a starting rep of Sunday League Footballer your rep will increase to regional or even national. So by the time you reach the BSS/BSN your manager rep is probably similar to starting a game with your rep set to Professional Footballer allowing you to attract better players than can usually be done in the dafuge challenge.

And thats just the effect on your manager rep, the club rep also gets a 'head start' as my teams was already National by the time we hit the BSN.

Basically due to my managers rep, I have been able to sign players who are way too good for the division they have been in. I had World Class managers rep in the Championship. This year seems to be more of the same as I have even seen level 8 teams, with their managers having had national rep as well.

Other then that, I have normally done quite well in cups and kept wages down so they wouldn't burn my finances. The players I signed all had premiership potential and some have responded much better to first team football then I had hoped for but when they were signing it because they wanted to work with me so I'm guessing that would be from the managers rep I had built up.I actually expected to but from the championship in 2 seasons. This however will go down the pan in the premiership. Also its my tactics......its the same tactic I used with Bridgend.

Thanks TAoD :thup:

Its took me absolutely ages to scout them and I mean ages.I never realised how long it took to go through every player that I could scout, all the players with expiring contracts in every country I could scout as well as looking at under interested players.

With the seasons, it because I work in retail and at the moment their is little hours to work, normally I work between 38-45 hours a week, but with sales being so poor at the moment its been more 20 - 25 hours a week. Also my gf lets me play a lot of fm as it keeps me out of trouble and she knows where I am :p

[c] - the quote below is from daemonic in the hall of fame thread from fm10 which I think it probably sums it up best.

Basically due to my managers rep, I have been able to sign players who are way too good for the division they have been in. I had World Class managers rep in the Championship. This year seems to be more of the same as I have even seen level 8 teams, with their managers having had national rep as well.

Other then that, I have normally done quite well in cups and kept wages down so they wouldn't burn my finances. The players I signed all had premiership potential and some have responded much better to first team football then I had hoped for but when they were signing it because they wanted to work with me so I'm guessing that would be from the managers rep I had built up.I actually expected to but from the championship in 2 seasons. This however will go down the pan in the premiership. Also its my tactics......its the same tactic I used with Bridgend.

Thanks for that chap - makes a bit more sense now. The reputation thing seems like a big piece of that particular puzzle.

Best of luck in the Prem, and keep the reports coming!

reddevil4ever - Hardwick - Cambridgeshire Premier League - 2010/11 Season - Level 11

hi guys new to this challenge meet the new manager of Hardwick AFC

I noticed that team called Chelsea Fc when I was considering who to be. Wonder what that's all about. Good luck to you all anyway, I'm hoping to have found a team to stick with in Yorkshire Amateur.

My reserves started playing in the reserves while I was in the Blue Square Premier. Not too sure though because when I looked at the reseve fixtures, it just said no upcoming fixtures when selecting the season.

As for the prem season so far my record reads......P8 W6 D2 L0 F22 A6 Pts 20 and I am sitting top but teams have got games in hand (Arsenal have 4 and will go top if they win them all)

The bastards have kicked us off the park again, injured 3 of our best players over 2 legs. Legwinski and Noel-Williams stretchered off in the 2nd leg as we are unlucky to lose 1-0.

Unlucky Toad (can i call you toad) Good run though the 3rd round only thing is now you have your league games every 3 days until you catch up again.

Unlucky Toad (can i call you toad) Good run though the 3rd round only thing is now you have your league games every 3 days until you catch up again.

Toad is fine, hate this username. Somehow we only have 1 game in hand of the rest of them so it's not too bad. Williams and Legwinski only had minor knocks in the end and I've signed lassana Sidibe from Eccleshall on a free to replace the long term injured Sakali.

TAOD - Yorkshire Amateur - Kool Sport Northern Counties East League Division One (Level 10) - 2010/11

Transfers part 1

Transfers Part 1 - Standard stuff at amateur level as I just filled our squad seeing as we didn't need to pay any wages, was quite handy when the stupid cup competitions came thick and fast.

Competitions

Kool Sport Division One - Table - Was as expected to be honest, very easy and I'm especially pleased that complacency didn't set in and we managed to go the entire season undefeated. A 7-0 Win at Brodsworth was the highlight.

FA Cup - 3rd Round - Can't really ask for much more from a level 10 side and we were unlucky to eventually lose to a strong Watford side. They were filthy in both games.

FA Vase - Winners - Seemed like every round we faced a team who was currently top of their league so I was quite pleased about this. Not so pleased that hardly anybody turned up :D

Wilkinson Sword Shield - Winners - Rubbish competition really but it all helps boost our reputation.

Key Players

Abdeltarec Sakali He was far too good for level 10 and dominated the right wing until the Watford cloggers got to him and put him out for 6 months.

Gifton Noel-Williams Think everyone knows about this guy, 47 goals says all that is needed.

Oliver Hewitt - Fisher Went for a 1 up front system with an attacking midfielder just behind and this guy was perfect for the role, lots of goals and assists.

Overview

First off I think it's quite clear I've shamelessly stolen the posting format from B.W.G, hope you don't mind but it always seems quite easy on the eye. Perfect season for level 10 as we won the league and non league cups and had a great FA Cup run. Also signed quite an interesting player in Paul Taylor, check out this article about him: http://lesrosbifs.net/2010/08/the-curious-case-of-paul-taylor-ex-manchester-city-trainee-disappears-from-anderlecht/ he's had quite a strange career already.

Season      Division            Position     FA Cup    Champs League     Euro CUp     Acheivements
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2010/11   Kool Sport D1(L10)      1st       3rd Round        N/A            N/A    Promoted

B.W.G - Merthyr Town - Premier Division (Level 1) - 2019/20

Transfers - Did not care about those who left other then Yonkov who I got £2.2 mill for even though I wouldn't of given £2.20 for. For the in's only Greg Browning and Patrick Mkhize were 1st Choice. Browning had been capped twice for England so I couldn't beliece City let him go. The last three on the in side are for the future my top choice would be Martin Lassen as I just have this really good feeling about him as do my coaches as he has 4* PA and can be better then my 1st choice AML.

Competitions

League - Table - The perfect 10. We had City battling us but they blew it in their 37th match against Arsenal (The officials actually screwed them) as they lost 2-1. Even though we won the league setting a new record for goals, I feel I was too over reliant on George Fletcher who hit 40 in the league but there is one issue I need to sort and I won't be happy till its sorted......Man City did the double over me :mad: Biggest win was 8-1 against Bristol City at Ashton Gate.....my biggest win since 2010 which was 7-0 in the FA Cup.

FA Cup - Winners - To sum the final up in one word......easy. Bristol City will really hate us now as we beat them 6-0 in the final, a few weeks after tonking them 8-1 at Ashton Gate in the League. The fact Fletcher was injured so early in the game might have saved Bristol City but we still dominated. Our Captain Jose Quintas truly deserved Man of the Matach. I was involved in a 10 goal thriller with Man City in the 5th round (Will post screenshot in my next post).

League Cup - Winners - To be perfectly honest.....I deserved this cup for who I had to beat to get here......I had to get past Chelsea and Man City just to get to the final while Steven Gerrard's Peterborough hardest team was West Ham. We dominated from start to finish and the red card just solidified our position during the game. I didn't even really break a sweat during the game.

Players/Awards

I won Manager of the Year....not really surprising as I was predicted 20th at the start of the Season!!

George Fletcher - How has he not been capped by England yet?????? He was top scorer for the season hitting 54 goals in 48 appearances. He broke Andy Coles record of most league goals in a season as he hit 40 which made him Top Scorer. He won Fans Player of the Year, European Golden Boot,Footballer of the Year and came 2nd in European Striker of the Year!!!.

Adam O'Brien - Topped the assists chart with 25, not a great season for goal scoring has he suffered a 15 hour goal drought. Now a England international....I think Quique Flores got confused for which striker to call up.

Andy Whitham - He won Young Player of the Year which was a clean sweep for Merthyr Town.

Expectations

I now have been given a new stadium called Richardson Arena...unfortunately this news was overshadowed by Man City's new stadium called the Man City Stadium (will hold 64,256).

The expecatations for the new season are respectable position in the league, 5th round in the FA Cup, QF in the league cup, group stages in the CL and they don't care about the Charity Shield.

My aim......win the lot....that is all.

Also my chairman's status is down to Happy to Stay so I am will be expecting a takeover soon.

2010/11   Toolstation D1(L10)      1st       2nd Rnd        N/A            N/A        Promotion
2011/12   Toolstation Prm(L9)      1st       2nd Rnd        N/A            N/A        Promotion
2012/13   Zamaretto D1SW (L8)      1st       3rd Rnd        N/A            N/A        Promotion,FA Trophy Winners
2013/14   Zameretto Prem (L7)      1st       3rd Rnd        N/A            N/A        Promotion,FA Trophy Winners
2014/15   Bl.Square South(L6)      1st       4th Rnd        N/A            N/A        Promotion,FA Trophy Winners
2015/16   Bl.Square Prem (L5)      1st       5th Rnd        N/A            N/A        Promotion,FA Trophy Winners
2016/17   nPower League 2(L4)      1st       3rd Rnd        N/A            N/A        Promotion,JPT Winners
2017/18   nPower League 1(L3)      1st       5th Rnd        N/A            N/A        Promotion,JPT Winners
2018/19   nPower C'ship  (L2)      1st      Semi-Finals     N/A            N/A        Promotion.
2019/20   Premiership    (L1)      1st       Winners        N/A            N/A        Domestic Treble.

Thanks daemonic :thup: Its weird having City for a nemesis, I actually support them IRL so I am pleased they have been doing well but I hate them for trying to overshadow me :p

I'm looking at matching my 12 seasons it took me last time for completing the challenge although I think I could do this year depending on the kindness of the draw.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, Tycoon owned Ellesmere are now in league 2. Will history repeat itself and they make it into the premiership on your fm10 save???

Europe going ok then B.W.G? :p

Its the only game I've had in Europe. This season is going to be quite slow to complete as my line manager has flu and I'm have to cover him, so I apologize now for not having a end of season update ready till Monday (at the earliest) :(

TAOD - Yorkshire Amateur - Kool Sport Northern Counties East League Premier Division (Level 9) - 2011/12

Transfers - Mostly players coming in ready for next season there, Calderon was signed as we didn't have too many options for pace on the left wing.

Competitions

Kool Sport Premier Division - Table - Kind of gutted we lost a game but really no need to complain about that, an absolute breeze yet again.

FA Cup - 2nd Round - Wanted a repeat of last year but we had a much trickier route, managed to see off Blue Square Prem high fliers Wimbledon and Rushden but came unstuck against Welling who are in the BSS. Poor defensive performance.

FA Vase - Winners - Was really easy to be honest, pleased we retained it.

West Riding Senior Cup - Winners - RubLiterally nobody cares about this stupid competition but we won it anyway.

Key Players

Will Grocott Can play central midfield and if I change my formation he fills in on the left too, decent player..

Ibrahim Sissoko The dominant aggresive force in midfield had an even better season than the last, fantastic at this level.

Danny Uchechi With Gifton being stupidly injury prone Uchechi stepped in and was more than capable, his pace kills teams and he creates a lot of chances for himsel. He misses a lot of them too.

Overview

Another great season but we need to push on now, got a few more players I want to add to our squad for next year and it might involve breaking quite a tight wage structure. Was pleased with other players who didn't get a mention before. Paul Taylor in particular was awesome.

2010/11   Kool Sport D1(L10)      1st       3rd Round       N/A           N/A    Promoted
2011/12   Kool Sport Prem(L9)     1st       2nd Round       N/A           N/A    Promoted

I wouldn't be surprised if I did :p Although on a level 10 holiday save I've been running in work....Merthyr are in the Blue Square South (2025/26), the big surprises in that are Walsall Wood and Borrowash are in the premier league

Its a bug although its quite a funny one :p

We currently play in Rhiw Dda'r Taff Wells which is what we started in, SI will probably fix the bug in the next patch.

Thats actually the best name for a stadium I have ever seen :D

TAOD - Yorkshire Amateur - Evo Stik First Division North(Level 8) - 2012/13

Transfers - Players like Blackman and Hogg should be playing at a much higher level but I can't complain there.

Competitions

Evo-Stik 1st Division - Table - Again annoying that we lost a game, it was after the league had been wrapped up and I trusted my assistant, still a fantastic season again.

FA Cup - 4th Qualifier - Stupidly got complacent and played our reserves. It backfired.

FA Trophy - Winners - Stunned by this to be honest, we beat some top sides along the way like Grimsby but the final was easily the best of the lot.

West Riding Senior Cup - Winners - Gives us a lot of money but it's a stupid competition.

Presidents Cup - Winners - Another rubbish thing to win.

Challenge Cup - Final - Way too many annoying competitions and we lost this one in the final.

Key Players

Abdeltarec Sakali He's been a star ever since I signed him in the 1st season, he'll have better competition now with the arrival of ex Arsenal forward Gilles Sunu.

David Mooney irish striker is one of many options for us up front, a great foil for Blackmanl.

Nick Blackman Far too good for this level, he just destroys everyone. I reckon he is a capable league player.

Overview

A fantastic season again, with the new players I'm brining in I now think we can field an entire side of Arsenal reserve/youths that they have released :D Will be aiming for promotion again and a better FA cup showing.

2010/11   Kool Sport D1(L10)      1st       3rd Round       N/A           N/A    Promoted
2011/12   Kool Sport Prem(L9)     1st       2nd Round       N/A           N/A    Promoted
2012/13   Evo-Stik D1(L8)         1st       4th Qual        N/A           N/A     Promoted

Another brilliant season, I am quite upet that you managed to get Blackman as I wanted him but he was never interested in coming to Merthyr. I'm predicting another promotion with a title win for you, not too long and you'll be in the football league :thup:

Another brilliant season, I am quite upet that you managed to get Blackman as I wanted him but he was never interested in coming to Merthyr. I'm predicting another promotion with a title win for you, not too long and you'll be in the football league :thup:

Yeah he wasn't interested until right at that end point of a season when players realise that they might as well join if nobody else wants them :D and thanks, I'm hoping for promotion again, bit dissapointed I haven't gone pro because I think you did at this stage? Maybe next year.

B.W.G - Merthyr Town - Premier Division (Level 1) - 2020/21

Transfers - All the transfers were for the future bar the last one who I am shocked with, he was valued at £11 million and had a minimum release fee for £10,2500,000. I had kept an eye on him all season but waited till I had more finances available. Here is Yury Proshin

Competitions

Premier League - Table - It was easy throughout the season, our 1 loss came at Man City about half way through the season, I did get revenge on the last day of the season when we beat them and Gary Johnson was sacked after the match even though they finished 2nd. We set new records for goals scored and points earnt, our biggest win was 9-1 against Bristol City.

Champions League - Winners - We were gived what looked a tough group of Valencia,Leverkusen and Fiorentina, we won the gorup with 5 wins and a loss (against Fiorentina), scoring 27 and letting in 9 which included a 9-1 tonking of Leverkusen. We given a easier tie in the knockout as we faced Benfica and we disposed of them 6-1 over 2 legs, we were given another trip to Portugal with it being Sporting Lisbon this time. We beat them in a slightly more difficult match 3-1 on agg. The semi saw an all English clash with Chelsea, we continued out form against them as their bogey team as we disposed of them 4-1 on agg to set up a clash with 11 time winners Real Madrid (they knocked out holders Arsenal in the semis). This game was ruined by the ref as Real should of finished with 10 men as Marcelo was harshly sent off. Adam O'Brien was an assasin throughout the match as Real could not handle him. Don't let the stats fool you as it was close up untill the 1st sending off. If its a consolation, Real did beat us 3-1 on hitting the woodwork :p

FA Cup - Winners - Was a tough game for breaking them down, they fluked their goals in a game we dominated (1 goal from distance, other goal hit crossbar and went over line). We deserved the win for the domination we showed, it was out clinical finishing which won the game. Our biggest win in the FA Cup was 9-0 against Fulham

League Cup - Winners - We should have wrapped this up in normal time but their keeper was exceptional throughout the game. It was a deserved win even though it took right near the end of extra time to break them down and score the winner through Fletcher. I was however disappointed that we threw a 2 goal lead and did let the players know about their rubbish performance.

Charity Shield - Winners - Always have a good ding dong battle with City and this was no exception, we had 7 players missing due to the Olympics (England won them!!) so it was mainly a youth team. This is football and it would have been fair to settle it with penalties but we took our chances.

Players/Awards

I won Manager of the Year but I don't think anyone will be surprised at that.

George Fletcher - Profile - Quiet season for him, hit 37 in 56. He did however win Player's Player of the Year and came 3rd in European Striker of the Year

Adam O'Brien - Profile - Was top scorer for the season with 38 in 53 apps. He was awarded with CL Golden Boot and was 2nd in the CL Best Player which Andy Whitham won, he was also 2nd in the European Striker of the Year.

Jose Quintas - Profile - Merthyr Town Icon and captain. Always led by example and chipped in with 17 goals in 56 apps. He came 3rd in European Defender of the Year

Andy Whitham - Profile - This was his year, he topped the assists chart with 45 and chipped in with 20 goals and is now a regular feature in the England team. He won Footballer of the Year, Fans Player of the Year, CL Best Player and came 2nd in European Midfielder of the Year

Ognyan Paskalev - Profile - Best season yet for the youngster, 18 assists and 23 goals for the season and this was followed by winning Young Player of the Year

Expectations

My chairman is looking to leave so will probably get a new one during the season.

Its my last season at the current ground before moving in to the Richardson Stadium so I want a complete global conquest before we do, so in other words, I don't care what the board want....I want a clean sweep.

The final thing is to beat Man City twice in the league.

Season      Division            Position     FA Cup    Champs League     Euro Cup     Acheivements
2019/20   Premiership    (L1)      1st       Winners        N/A            N/A        Domestic Treble.
2020/21   Premiership    (L1)      1st       Winners       Winners         N/A        Domestic Domination + CL Winners

Archived