Rule of One Tactic Sets - and how to implement them to perfection!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by korzy:

im facing a conflict:

im playing away against Real.Sociadad and they play a 4-5-1 normal ( the dmc formation ) with a lone striker.

i set a close down always, as well as gave felipe a tight specific marking on Uranga ( their FC ).

the problem is, Googgen mentioned that away matches should be set to tightmarking always for all of the team ( except for strikers )

so what should i do? give everyone tightmarking like i do now ( and they get to many chances ) or just felipe should tight-mark ? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think you're badly misunderstanding things. All I can do is try to describe what I would do if faced with the 4-5-1 formation. Firstly I choose the tactic/mentality range appropriate to the match ahead, based on reputation etc. If it's an away game then I choose an away tactic, meaning that all my team are on tight zonal marking excluding my forwards. That's a given.

I choose a p,w&t of 8 because it's an away game (I manage in the Bundesliga, I don't know what p,w&t settings suit Spain) I instruct my team to pass down both flanks because they are crowding the midfield. I choose my best man-marking DC and have him specifically mark their lone striker. I then go into opp. instructions and click on their lone forward. I select the 'close down always' intruction.

What this means in game terms is that everytime their stiker gets on the ball he is being shadowed closely by your DC. If he trys to hold the ball up deeper another player will close him down quickly and the space between him and the midfield will become a problem for the opposition. If the marking DC makes a mistake the other DC should be in a position to cover for him since he's set to zonal.

I only use this approach against a lone striker when there is no AMC behind him to receive any flick-ons or one-twos. It's too dangerous. I've described how to deal with the 4-2-3-1 and the various 4-4-2 diamonds in the game above in the revised rules.

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by korzy:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">im facing a conflict:

im playing away against Real.Sociadad and they play a 4-5-1 normal ( the dmc formation ) with a lone striker.

i set a close down always, as well as gave felipe a tight specific marking on Uranga ( their FC ).

the problem is, Googgen mentioned that away matches should be set to tightmarking always for all of the team ( except for strikers )

so what should i do? give everyone tightmarking like i do now ( and they get to many chances ) or just felipe should tight-mark ? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

googen can you clear it up? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If he is already tight marking then it's fine, you dont need to change it.

well, i did exactly what googen instructed and they won it deservedly, their FC passed the ball to the MCs which came from deep into my danger zone and scored.

:|? what could possibly went wrong? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Are you using the correct tactic? Do you know what p,w&t works well in spain? Is morale okay in the playing squad? These aren't super tactics but once you learn how to use them correctly over the course of a season they will amass you more points than the quality of your squad would normally achieve.

i still haven't figured out what type of p&w&t is best on spain, but im using a control based on home ( wide, short slow passing ) and counter away ( slow, narrow short passing counter-attacks )

my passing is set individualy for players ( DCs play first notch of direct ( minus 1 = mixed )

fullbacks last notch of short ( +1 = mixed )

MCa mixed, MCd short, wingers 4th notch of short and FCa playing 3rd notch of short, FCd comes deep to play killer balls with rare FWR so he's given HUB on home and mixed passing.

i really cant find out if Team passing eventually effects or overrides individual.

hey guys i need some advices.. i am with Levski its the best team in Bulgaria and i am playing in the Champions League against teams like Chelsea Porto and Lacio..My problem is that i cant win a home match against Lacio... it ended like a draw and now i want to draw or even win over Lacio on their land. Help me to find out what tactic to set. I tryed Googen's tactic but i lost 5 : 0. I dont know but i think i didnt set it corectly it was too complecated.... Dont you have a simple one.. I cant understand the half of the words in thoose texts.. Help ME icon_smile.gif

thank you!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">i really cant find out if Team passing eventually effects or overrides individual. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Korzy, look at at this way: if team instructions overide individual then individual instructions would become obsolete...

Hi Googen! icon_wink.gif

First of all GREAT POST!

There is one thing that i dont understand icon_frown.gif

I play with PSV Eindhoven and my basic home tactic i am using is the 12-18 range (a normal 442)

What`s the best thing to do in this tactic for dc`s.. man marking or zonal?

Greetz Mika!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mika0909:

Hi Googen! icon_wink.gif

First of all GREAT POST!

I play with PSV Eindhoven and my basic home tactic i am using is the 12-18 range (a normal 442)

Greetz Mika! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

zonal always unless you are facing a formation that warrants man marking.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by EA_mon_hello2:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mika0909:

Hi Googen! icon_wink.gif

First of all GREAT POST!

Greetz Mika! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

zonal always unless you are facing a formation that warrants man marking. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thx m8!

Great topic here, i just like to add a few things:

First of all I'm not too sure whether i agree on always ''ticking'' counter attack maybe for away games, but i believe using counter attack will give you less possession and could lead to loosing to ball often.

For Corner Set Pieces what Ive always found to work for me and got me many goals is choose your best header, jumping and tallest player and set him near post flick on and set corner setting to near post = easy goals

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by sitruc03:

This might be a stupid question, but on the tactics screen there is no 'Offside trap' option and I've seen it mentioned in more than a few threads. There is an option that says 'Play offsides.' Is this the 'Offside trap' option? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes it is. Sorry, I don't refer to everything in-game with the correct terminology because I dont have the game in front of me when I'm writing. In this RoO set your defensive line is always connected to the mentality range. If you look at your team instructions in the more attacking tactics (14-20 and so on), you will notice that the defensive line reads as being 'high up the pitch' or something like that, on these tactics I employ an off-side trap. Where it doesn't read like that I don't use an off-side trap, it's too risky.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Pipson:

Great topic here, i just like to add a few things:

First of all I'm not too sure whether i agree on always ''ticking'' counter attack maybe for away games, but i believe using counter attack will give you less possession and could lead to loosing to ball often.

For Corner Set Pieces what Ive always found to work for me and got me many goals is choose your best header, jumping and tallest player and set him near post flick on and set corner setting to near post = easy goals </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not too sure, I've still played matches where my team was counter-attacking and we still dominated posession.

As for the near post flick-on set-up well I've detailed my corner instructions above and I think this option is accomodated. I wouldn't say it's easy goals though but in tight games against big clubs I do instruct my corner taker to aim for the near post. Even with the right tactic selected from the set there still seems to be days when you just can't get a goal.

I've also found having a good 'long-shot' player lurking outside the area can be almost as effective. Having a good corner taker is essential though and you should scour the transfer market for him. This season I signed a Japanese winger from Anderlecht on a bosman, who is very good technically from the corner flag. He made an immediate difference to my set-piece results. Now if only one of my strikers could actually convert penalties icon_frown.gif It just doesn't look right when the left back is placing the ball on the spot.

Never had much luck setting up tactics on my own. But I'm trying to put together a tactic set based on these recommendations. The concern I have is that the clubs I am using to set up and test aren't really suited, personnel-wise, to a 4-4-2. So I'm trying to go set it up as a 4-2-3-1, with the two DMs with match settings. I'm wondering if this would significantly change anything, or if anyone has tried it already? I could also set it up as a 4-5-1 with an arrow on the central MC and barrows for the two DMs. I'm still trying to get them set up and haven't had a chance to test yet. Curious if anyone has thoughts on it?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by YuanTzer:

googen the team intruction mentality set to how much ? n the CF how much ? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Team instructions for CF and 'mentality' stay at default, these tactics are all about individual instructions - with the notable exception of passing.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bigpapa42:

Never had much luck setting up tactics on my own. But I'm trying to put together a tactic set based on these recommendations. The concern I have is that the clubs I am using to set up and test aren't really suited, personnel-wise, to a 4-4-2. So I'm trying to go set it up as a 4-2-3-1, with the two DMs with match settings. I'm wondering if this would significantly change anything, or if anyone has tried it already? I could also set it up as a 4-5-1 with an arrow on the central MC and barrows for the two DMs. I'm still trying to get them set up and haven't had a chance to test yet. Curious if anyone has thoughts on it? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Someone else had asked about adapting these tactics to a 4-2-3-1 and I offered suggestions on the required alterations you would have to make. These tactics are based on the rule of one system so you will still have to base it around breaking your formation down to seven progressively more attacking stages. Do a search through this thread for '4-2-3-1' and you will probably find it. You will definitely have to tweak closing down settings. It takes a lot of time studying the match engine before you can be certain you have the settings just right.

Best of luck setting it up though, I have ambitions of building a 4-2-3-1 set and a 5-3-2 formation set some day but only for '07.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Daveshotton:

Has anyone started to use this system on 08 yet? I'm into my second season with the Toon and going nowhere so thought giving this a shot might work but I don't think the board will give me much time to perfect the tactics! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, at least one manager has. His posts could be on the the previous page. From what I can gather the closing down settings will need to be tweaked to accomadate the differences between the 07 and 08 game engines. Higher closing down for the back four seems to be beneficial. Also the rule of dropping four tactics down the set when using an away tactic doesn't seem to work as well. Try doing a search on this thread anyway. As far as I know 'RoO' still seems to be effective in '08 though.

Googen. If one of my own players gets sent off, what adjustments can you suggest implementing for these tactics, as quite recently I had a player sent off after only 30 secs (my star fwd) and was at a loss of what to do to then counter the opposition.

After I've played a season with this tactical set I found out that (atleast for my team) that the 4-5 middle tactic sets are quite useless. Therefore I've used two fixed tactical sets one for home games and one for away games and that has been quite good winning 22 draw 2 and 6 defeats 64 scored and 23 concided. I used the 13-18 at home and 2-8 set away. If I had the lead by 2 or more at halftime in home games I switched to my away tactic and scored 1 or 2 more.

Does the base home tactic gradually get lower as you go down in leagues? I think you said a big club in a relatively small league would be 9-15, does that mean, say, Swindon in league 1 would be even lower?

Also, with these tactics should you be getting 50%+ possession in away games? Or is that too much to hope for?

Also, you said I think that you like to shut up shot in the final minutes - do you just use the 1-7 tactic for this? Or do you have a special shut up shop tactic?

I find that in the more defensive options the strikers still push up against the back line and aren't any help in defense. I know they're strikers, but I would think that having one chip in to disrupt the other side's midfield play would help?

Great thread.

I implemented your philosophy into my man utd team with instant success.

First season I won the treble and the future looks bright.

The one aspect I am trying to develop further is the consistency with my forwards in the premiership. Europe is a different matter all together so it maybe as simple as adjusting their creative freedom as it is currently set on default.

I'm really enjoying this thread. Many thanks to Googen and everyone else who has taken the time to share their knowledge and tactical theories.

For the past couple nights I have been trying to implement Googen's tactic in my WSM2006 Rotherham game.

I think I will need to further study the various comments here. Sometimes my lads are playing well, other times they are not. I sense that perhaps player quality is what I am lacking.

So far I have scored very few goals, and have repeatedly watched opposing strikers sprint behind my defenders (who are playing up) to receive passes.

I'm wondering how others are faring with Googen's methods and lower league teams?

Are other people using this tactic with FM2006 and FM2008?

Is it valid for versions other than FM2007?

The tactic is interesting enough for me to try to implement it in my WSM2007 game as Forest Green.

Hi Googen!

First of all I wish to thank you for your post.

Very complete and detailled.

For those who were asking, I'm currently using it on FM2008 (with patch 8.0.1) and it works just fine (solid results throughout my first two seasons).

• 3 weeks later...
Guest koluman

Hello googen im from sweden and i dont understand so good english. and i saw that you posted your tactic on fmdownloads, but that site dosent work, and i really want your tactic. can you post it on another webpage.

Thanks.

Hi Googen,

I'm a long time lurker on these boards and have been playing Championship/Football Manager since it first came out all those years ago. Your tactic set has compelled me to finally come out of the shadows - because it is absolutely brilliant!

For FM 2007 I read all WW Fan's interesting posts and made a tactic set based on his methods with good success in the lower leagues. However I hit a brick wall when I got to the Championship and even though I reached the playoffs a few times I couldn't get into the Premiership and didn't deserve to. I was never really happy with how my team played and just about every match was a real struggle.

I decided to start a new game in the Conference after reading your inspiring thread and so far the results (and more importantly the performances) are way beyond anything I could have hoped for.

I believe you have taken WW Fan's ROO on to another level and you are now in the exalted company of Peter Osgood and Jose Mourinho as my all-time heroes!

I'll let you know what happens when I reach the Championship again but this time I am very confident of taking it by storm with my Chingford Rangers! Thanks for sharing all your hard work. icon14.gif

What should i set my individual creative freedom and passing to? I've set up your tactics but keep on getting beat sometimes the opposition has 20+ shots to my 1 or 2. I've played your tactics as darlington in league 2 and have gone with only 1 win in my last 20 games. My strikers haven't scored in over 16 hours of play? What's going wrong? I can't figure it out?

I'm playing as the 442 normal you describe in detail. Also the team mentality has 22 not 20 so do i find the midpoint in notches or numbers?

As far I have understood, you would have to find your tempo by trial and error. My guess is, for league 2, passing will be direct on the hiher side, and tempo would be on the faster side.

Regarding creative freedom, if you are using this for FM2008 you may want to tone it down a bit, especially because at the league 2 level, I assume you won't have too many attacking players with high creativity stats.

hey all and thanks googen

i am not really using your formation but i am trying to employ ur ideas into my tactic:

it looks like this:

3-2-3-2

3 defenders

2 cm

3 amc-aml-amr

2 strikers

this is totaly different then ur tactic but i wil try it here as for me the biggest problem before was that my players were too far away from each other and dont close down good enough.

i hope with ur ideas i will work it out

i only wont use the width thing (playing narrow at home and wide away)

i am playing with getafe 3rd season by the way

by now i only played against my reserves

i will report how it goes

OK, I know that this tactics are based on wwfans tactics but how different are this from wwfans? And can somebody comfirm that this tactics works on 08?

I had much fun with wwfans tactics on 07 so I wonder if this tactic aproch can be use on 08.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by WH:

The OP didn't upload them. The idea is to read through his instructions and create your own. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Is there a way he can upload them? Would be easier having them to download than people trying to make 13 diff tactics, when he has already made them and is using them?

Archived