FM 2008: Newcastle United

sirj09

Still in my first season with Newcastle @ the end of February 2008. Currently sitting 4th 4 points clear of Liverpool(5th)and 9 points behind 3rd placed Chelsea.

Using a 4-2-3-1 formation rotating between Owen & Martins, both have so far scored over 20 goals each.

I will post later with my signings/transfer activity.

February 24th won the league cup against Chelsea (4-4) won 3-2 on pens. Still in the FA cup due to play Fulham at home in the 5th round.

• Replies 866
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ive totally scraped newcastles center defence. i brought in segrey on a free, samba 2.2 mil, and elliot omouzi and evans on loan. Ive also bolstered my mid with oakley 3.6 mil and ghaly on a free. lastly i brough in eddie johnson for 3 mil. my best win was against chelski 1-0. im currently 4th with 9 wins 1 draw and 4 losses (man you, aston villa, liverpool, everton)

Finished my 1st season in 4th & as well as the league cup win I won the FA cup beating Liverpool 7-5 (no not penalties).

Just started 2nd season - sold Faye, Emre, Given & Milner (£20m to Arsenal). Realeased Butt & Carr as well as some youth team players.

1st leg of ECL won 3-0 away to Dinamo Zagreb, as well as a disappointing 3-3 draw at home to Watford.

Signed -

Andrzej Neidzielan (29 £0.5m)

Niels Wellenberg (25 Bosman)

Mathieu Flamini (24 £5m)

Tommy Hoiland (18 £40,000)

Gabriel Torje (18 £3m)

Pablo Piatti (19 £4m)

Bogdan Stancu (21 £3.8m)

Charles-Andre Doudin (21 Bosman)

John Fleck (16 £2m)

Mauro Zarat (21 £2.7m)

Trying to tie up another couple of defensive signings & goalkeeper.

just came 2nd in the league in 2013/14. was winning all the season and ending up missing out on the title to arsenal by 1 point. all i had to do was beat leicester, at home, to win title... ended up in a 2-2 draw. gutted.

GK Gordon

LB Bridge/Shorey

CB Taylor

CB Zapata

RB Richards

DMC Hargreaves/carrick/bolzoni

ML Barry/Joe Cole

MR Milner

AMC Van der vaart/anderson

FC Martins

FC Owen/Carvani

not sure weather to use this team for one more shot at glory, or to get some new blood in... some are starting to get old now... milner has been averaging about 7.50 the past 2 seasons...

NEWCASTLE UNITED SEASON 09/10

Shay Given/Steve Harper

Angel/Habib Beye

Steven Taylor/Pichu Atienza

Cristian Zapata/Sol Campbell

Guilherme/Erik Edman

James Milner/Georginio Wijnaldum

Andrea Pirlo/Denilson

Belozoglu Emre/Michael Johnson

Charles N'Zogbia/Ashley Young

Michael Owen/Julio Baptista

Obafemi Martins/Mika Aaritalo

-----------------------------------------------

Joe Hart/Carl Naylor

Michael Mancienne/Robert Huitema

Peter Ramage/David Edgar

Christian Poulsen/Pierre Ducasse

Giles Barnes/Omar Benzerga

Ivan Rakitic/Andrew Surman

Alan Smith/Theo Walcott

1st Season: 3rd

2nd Season: 5th (4 points between 3rd and 8th)

3rd Season: Currently 2nd

What do you think?

Originally posted by euanpolo:

NEWCASTLE UNITED SEASON 09/10

Shay Given/Steve Harper

Angel/Habib Beye

Steven Taylor/Pichu Atienza

Cristian Zapata/Sol Campbell

Guilherme/Erik Edman

James Milner/Georginio Wijnaldum

Andrea Pirlo/Denilson

Belozoglu Emre/Michael Johnson

Charles N'Zogbia/Ashley Young

Michael Owen/Julio Baptista

Obafemi Martins/Mika Aaritalo

-----------------------------------------------

Joe Hart/Carl Naylor

Michael Mancienne/Robert Huitema

Peter Ramage/David Edgar

Christian Poulsen/Pierre Ducasse

Giles Barnes/Omar Benzerga

Ivan Rakitic/Andrew Surman

Alan Smith/Theo Walcott

1st Season: 3rd

2nd Season: 5th (4 points between 3rd and 8th)

3rd Season: Currently 2nd

What do you think?

I think your team is potentially very good, given the right set of tactics.

You also have some good backups there, young and could be quality. Mancienne, Walcott, Barnes, etc.

Newcastle, 09/10

GK: Costil/Lloris

DL: Bottinelli/Enrique

DC: Breno/Taylor

DC: Zapata/Santacroce

DR: Leyrielton/Santacroce

ML: Di Maria/N'Zogbia

DMC: Dessena/Barton

AMC: Lulinha/Piatti

MR: Quaresma/Milner

FC: Owen/Saivet

FC: Martins/Carroll (amazing)

Reserves: LuaLua, Flamini, Leadbetter (great prospect), Beye, Emre, Cabanas, Faye, Given etc

Two questions:

1) What formation would you play and using what players?

2) Any improvements to the squad you would make?

On my newcastle game I came 4th in my first season, signing Mark Bresciano and playing him in Attacking Midfield, with Owen & Martins up front (Owen is immense, just keep him playing and he will score nearly every game - while Martins takes a while but after he settles in with how you play will become your star man)

Other than Bresciano I didn't really need to buy many more players in the first season. My formation was:

Given

Enrique Taylor Faye Beye (Cacapa & Rozenhal are dire)

Barton as defensive Midfielder

Milner on the right wing, N'Zogbia (or Emre) on the left,

Bresciano in attacking midfield (Smith as backup)

Owen & Martins up front (Ameobi turns intro a great sub striker too, Viduka never got a look in)

I nabbed 4th, got to the league cup semis before being knocked out by Man United and got to the FA Cup final only to lose in extra time to Pompey (damn you John Utaka!!!!!)

Due to my great first season performance i was given 20million to play about with, I sold a few other players, including Andy Carroll for 9mil to Man City, Viduka to Everton for 2mil, and a few others. With all this dough I bought Adrian Mutu for 15mil, Andres D'Alessandro for 11mil, and i shored up my central defence with Naldo (from Werder Bremen) and Ezequiel Garay (awesome player from Racing Santander).

With this new team i challeneged everything, being 1st in the premiership up until februrary where i trailed off, eventually finishing 3rd. However, I got past the group stages of the CL, and beat Arsenal 7-1 on aggregate in the first knockout round! After this, I beat Man United on away goals and got to the final, beating Inter Milan on penalites to win the Champions League!!!!!!

I'm currently in my 3rd season and haven't fully got going yet, only signing Micah Richards so far, but honestly, Newcastle United don't take too much to become brilliant if you have the right tactic. Buy some creative midfielders and sort out the central defence area with some world class players and thats all you need.

UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES SELL MARTINS OR OWEN! YOU WILL NOT GET BETTER FORWARDS THAN THEM ON THE GAME FOR THE MONEY THEY WILL BRING YOU!!!! A lot of people on here seem to have sold both of them right at the start but I completely disagree. Newcastle's frontline is immense on the game, it's just the midfield and Defence that you need to sort out. I have played a simple 4-4-2 with a diamond formation in the midfield for three years and I won the Cl in my second year. I have never finished outside the top four yet and Owen has been the top scorer in the Premiership each year.

I got a 1-2-3 in the best player oif the champions league, Bresciano winning it closely followed by Martins and Owen.

My CL winning team was:

GK: Given

WBL: Jose Enrique

CDF: Ezequiel Garay

CDF: Naldo

WBR: Habib Beye

DMF: Barton

AML: Adrian Mutu

AMC: Andres D'Alessandro

AMR: James Milner

FC: Obafemi Martins

FC: Michael Owen

Bresciano came on as a sub to score too.

Hopefully tany of this info can help others in how to manage newcastle. By the way, I'm a lifelong Toon Supporter and I don't think its cliche to say that you have to play Attacking football when you manage them ,and i think this game applies that idea too.

rate my team out of 10!

going into 3rd season

GK: Given

DR: Simpson

DL: Enrique

CB: Taylor

CB: Cahsis

MR: Belluschi (not sure of proper spelling)

ML: Duff

AMC: Aguero (just bought him for 24 mill)

FC: Martins

can do better.

DR/DL are not good enough. mid table prem players imo

Duff is getting old. (where Milner or N'Zogbia?)

Sapara ??

Just finished season 2017/18 and finally done the quadruple. My side is mostly Regens now but I have Saivet, Lulinha, Anderson, Banega, Atienza and an Ageing Cech in Goal. Even after winning everything the board aren't impressed, they just say they expected it. This is the 4th Season I've won the league but never the CL or FA Cup. It's very challenging and entertaining managing Newcastle just as in real life. Not sure whether to start again or try to continue to dominate.

Originally posted by MarkS:

Just finished season 2017/18 and finally done the quadruple. My side is mostly Regens now but I have Saivet, Lulinha, Anderson, Banega, Atienza and an Ageing Cech in Goal. Even after winning everything the board aren't impressed, they just say they expected it. This is the 4th Season I've won the league but never the CL or FA Cup. It's very challenging and entertaining managing Newcastle just as in real life. Not sure whether to start again or try to continue to dominate.

good job there. try winning the CL or FA Cup for once then maybe you can go fo r a new challenge. icon_razz.gif

I started with newcastle and signed the following players.

Breno

Stancu

Defoe

Farfan

Flamini on loan (subsequently sent back, crap)

Ninis

Sold :

Viduka

Butt

Progress :

Currently 4th with fans and board pleased with over acheiving (i told them top half) Beat chelsea at stamford bridge.

Quarter Final of league cup (knocked out of FA by some lower league club, i was ****ed off.)

Play 4-4-2, short slow passing game out on the wings, also play ML and MR as target men.

The player i find that can make a difference to my squad is Geremi.

I play hin CM normally with Alan Smith, and when i put Barton or Ninis in there the team is always missing something.

Milner is coming along well as is N'Zogbia but there is plenty of competition for places.

Stancu is out on loan at Derby, not lighting the place up with his performances, but cant stop scoring for his country. Carrol is loaned out to birmingham til end of season for experiance.

Just signed chris eagles but i think this was a mistake and might be either loaned out or sold pretty soon.

Want rid of Duff, Edgar and Possibly another midfielder to ease the wage budget (im under, its just killing the bank balance, poss Emre)

The constant loss making is worrying me actually, but i dont want to sell me top players whilst im still under my wage budget, however, should it get changed at the end of the season im buggered.

Looking at young Goalies (Krul is good) cos Harper is getting on and Given wont be around forever.

What i dont understand is people selling Martins and Owen at the beginning of the game?

You can get more transfer money by lowering your wage budget, prob as much as you need (i got 22 mil) and they are great assets, reliable in front of goal.

Defoe supports them really well, when one is out of form the other two are playing well so i cant complain, although Defoe is offside an awful lot.

Lookin forward to the end of the season and the beginning of next, ill repost later.

Comments and Criticisms welcome

Bobs, I actually loaned Flamini like you did.

He did pretty good for me, 14 app with an average rating of 7+, can't remember. Chip in with a few goals as well.

Have you tried to sell away Babayaro and Ameobi? Will ease your wage budget, plus they're crap.

I think you should try and continue until the end of the season and see which are the areas that need improving.

Cheers aye.

Im sure someone's probably mentioned it, but the most ridiculous thing about the Newcastle game is that you're expected to challenge for the league title at the end of a two year plan!! icon_eek.gif

Probably could be done, but geez if thats not unrealistic i dont know what is.

It should go Respectable league position, to top half finish, qualification for EURO Cup etc...

The way things are going, we'll be lucky to qualify for Europe at the end of a 5 year plan in real life... icon_frown.gif

yeah the board are madmen. Get angry if you get knocked out of the Carling Cup before the 4th round, even though every time I got to that round, I was playing Arsenal at the Emirates. Yeah, good luck for me...

Finished my first season and into my second. I sold Milner and N'Zogbia to Arsenal for 14m and 17.5m, Emre to Bolton for 8m. Faye to Recreativo for 1m and brought in Breno, Piatti, Di Maria, Thiago (from barcelona), Bale, Stancu (sp?), Alex texiartatatata....(sp) young brazilian kid and Bentley during the summer. Finished 7th in my first season and need to get higher than 6th apparently this season. Most of the tactics I use I got from the 2-6-2 thread.

Martins always wants to go but I've held on to him so far. Him and Owen are my top scorers.

Iv accendently deleted my Milan game and after watching the toons embarasing display aainst villa i decided i gonna play as my team and fix some problems. I told the bored that i would challange for the title and i got 12mil to spend but after adjusting the budget iv got 38mil. i have just played a couple of days s far and so far iv signed Karim Benzema for 15m was suprised he came tbh. i am now looking into Woodgate and Foggia but will see got rid f Babayaro for 4m and smith to Lyon for 6.5m. will updat again 2mo when i start playing

4th season with newcastle now, won the

league x2

fa cup x2

champions league x2

world club champs x1

super cup x2

charity shield x3

My sqaud looks like this

GK - LLORIS/rensing

DR - RYAN TAYLOR/ bocaly

DL - INSUA/ bertrand

DC - STEVEN TAYLOR/da costa

DC - BRENO/ medjani

MC - MICHAEL JOHNSON/ pedretti

MC - KUZMANOVIC/mathieu

AMC - BABEL/hernandez

AMC - KROOS/piatti

AMC - LULINHA/trecarichi

ST - BOJAN/briand/keissling

got a few other players krul/cathcart/kagelmacher/juarez/sahin/lualua/wijnaldum/saivet/troisi/iago/merida/paquet

aaron/carroll/sigporsson all waiting to come in when needs be...

spent 221million on players and recieved 98mil back for my players....

screenshots available if you want...

Hiya guys, I've decided to start a game with the mighty Toon. I'm also on the new patch, for those interested.

I decided I wanted the biggest budget possible so I told the board I'd win the league icon_biggrin.gif Will probably get sacked if I don't - but I have a feeling this game will be very entertaining either way.

Transfers

Firstly, here are the transfers I've made thus far. I feel I've done well - Barnes was a bit pricey but my scouts rave about him. £5m was over 24 months also. The main areas of improvement needed were for the midfield and defence, so as you can see thats the areas I have tried to improve.

Squad

Obafemi is banging them in upfront, he will probably keep Owen out! Samba is devastating from corners, and it's not even funny - 6 goals from 6 games all from corners. Pedretti has 7 assists icon_biggrin.gif Alan Smith will most likely be deemed surplus - will try and shift him in January. Didn't have any takers in the summer icon_frown.gif

Formation

This formation/tactic was very successful for my Juve team on 8.0.1 - but, boy, it has sure come to life in the new patch. I've scored 19 goals in 6 games already!

Fixtures

As you can see we had a tough start to the season - was shocked at our victory over Manure icon_biggrin.gif Completely dominated the game too. We also gave Arsenal a good game, could have gone either way. We came unstuck at Liverpool and the rresult is a fair reflection of my team's performance. We just battered Portsmouth 6-1 though, so things are looking up icon_biggrin.gif

Home page

If anyone has any screenshot requests, feel free to ask - I will get them up asap.

Originally posted by Taylor_08:

on the new patch i have just over 40 million to spend, havent played as newcastle before, what players rnt good enuf and i have good attacking players in mind

any tips on cheaper good defenders

thanks

Not a defender but Vagner Love is good enough to play for the Toon

Originally posted by Jazzfusion:

Offer for N'Zog

He doesn't wanna negotiate with them because I've been licking his ass, but how can I refuse?!

can you buy a replacement as good as him ( and not just stat wise.. i mean a player you'll be happy with. )

i wouldnt sell him for any amount.. unless he wanted to go... i love n'zogbia on the game... always plays his heart out for me icon_smile.gif

Originally posted by welshace:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jazzfusion:

Offer for N'Zog

He doesn't wanna negotiate with them because I've been licking his ass, but how can I refuse?!

can you buy a replacement as good as him ( and not just stat wise.. i mean a player you'll be happy with. )

i wouldnt sell him for any amount.. unless he wanted to go... i love n'zogbia on the game... always plays his heart out for me icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've put in a few bids, so if I can bring in a decent replacement I will sell.

St. James Park is an absolute fortress for me, I've beat Man Utd, Arsenal and Chelsea all at home so far this season icon_cool.gif

Originally posted by Jazzfusion:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by welshace:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jazzfusion:

Offer for N'Zog

i wouldnt sell him for any amount.. unless he wanted to go... i love n'zogbia on the game... always plays his heart out for me icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've put in a few bids, so if I can bring in a decent replacement I will sell.

St. James Park is an absolute fortress for me, I've beat Man Utd, Arsenal and Chelsea all at home so far this season icon_cool.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You could get Matias Fernandez

Transfer window update

Transfers

I bought in Veloso because I am a big fan of his, and he is versatile. Also Enyeama because Given is getting on a bit!

League Table

We are in that position mainly because of our home form - we just dominate everyone. Scoring a load too!

Squad

Just lost a game after a 7 game unbeaten run - to Sunderland of all teams icon_mad.gif Mainly due to a mini injury crisis + ACON. Samba is a beast at corners - all his goals have come from them! haha, it's probably a bug but I'm going to exploit it until it's fixed - the opponent have been scoring more corners against me too.

End of season update

Just finished my first season at the reigns of Newcastle. Told the board I'd win the league - probably unrealistic but I had a good bash at it :-)

Final league standings

We were very unlucky not to win the league, we lost at Stamford bridge at the end of the season which was disappointing.

Squad

Obafemi was on fire all season, and Owen provided some good back up.

Home page

I'll be looking foward to the new season if I'm still in the job :-)

I brought in Coloccini, Samba, and Jeremy Mathieu to bolster the defence. Why do you want wingers? Milner and N'Zogbia are fantastic - try bring in Giles Barnes/Menez/Arshavin.

Not sure about strikers, as I didn't feel I needed to improve that area - but I only play with 1 up. Pedretti/Makoun are great CMs.

Well i'm in my second season with Newcastle now, I had a dissappointing 1st season with 13th place but things are going very well in season 2. I have made quite a few new signings and sitting in 5th place in the league. Here's my usual line up:

Given

Jose Enrique

Aquivaldo Mosquera

Stephen Taylor

Pascal Chimbonda

Abdoulaye Faye

Szabolcs Huszti

Emre

Nico Kranjcar

Nicolas Anelka

Alexander Frei

Usual subs:

Harper

Paulo Ferreira

Makelele

N'Zogbia

Viduka

Season 2 transfer update

I've just started my second season in charge at Newcastle, just thought I'd give a little update.

Transfers

Guardado looks he'll fill the gap I've been missing since I sold N'Zogbia. He was great pre-season - hopefully he can continue icon_smile.gif Guilherme was a bit of a gamble at that price - but my scouts are raving about him, so I don't mind. It only cost me £10m upfront anyway due to clauses etc. Kiebling look like he'll grab a few goals. Jiminez was an absolute steal for £2.5m and I feel his playmaking abilities can take us to the next level.

Insua came in to replace Enrique who I feel I got a good price for - and my scouts think Insua has alot of potential. I signed Ilsinho even though he couldn't get a work permit - he looks like he'll turn into a top RB, and will already be good enough to replace Beye when he does get a permit.

I pondered about signing Ochoa as I'm not sure if Enyeama will be good enough at the top level. I've given him until January to prove me wrong, else I'll bring Ochoa in.

Owen was the main transfer out, he's getting on a bit and hasn't got enough pace for me - plus his huge wage bill was eating my finances up.

I tried to sign Micah Richards but he isn't interested icon_frown.gif

Squad

Scouting

I overhauled my scouting system completely, bring in world class scouts, though they are all on £18k a week :D Will sack Wise as soon as I can, the board keep blocking me at the moment.

I've also bought in Rene Meulensteen as my new Ass Manager.

I got off to a slow start in the league. Losing away at Reading and then drawing away to newly promoted QPR. I then trashed MTK 8-0 in a Champions League qualifier and it kick started my season. Wins away at Liverpool and then at home to Man City followed.

I've got drawn into a tough Champions League group, including Barcelona and a very strong Lazio icon_mad.gif Auxerre are also there, so hopefully I can get atleast 6 points from them.

Home page

That's all for now

Archived