Icondacarver

Player Power v Managers rule  

67 members have voted

1. 1. Player Power v Managers rule

• Players voice their opinions
    • Keep quiet and listen to Gaffer!
    • Mixture of both
    • Not interested

We have seen a lot of player situations in which they have gone against the Manager and i wanted to get the opinions of those here.

We have France and the Anelka case, we have the Cameroon formation meeting and Nigeria with Martins call-up.

There has been England with the players speaking to Capello (althought that seems to be just Terry stirring things up because he was stripped of the captaincy) Linky

We heard rumours from the Spain camp although i doubt they are true and Muntari leading a revolt in the Ghana camp.

So are you with players voicing their opinion at the World Cup or should the Managers word go as gospel?

Manager = boss, no doubt in my mind. Players may say their opinion on tactics and selection (not publicly!) but he decides. Players should get their heads down and play to the best of their abilities once decisions have been made.

Of course, squad discipline, also the way the players communicate with the media, is a humongous part of managing these days so in a way, managers who get players speaking out in public or being slated by players will need to take a look at themselves.

A mixture of both. A player or players representative should be able to speak to the management and say where/what they think is going wrong (in private) but then the manager has to make the final decision and the players need to respect it.

Managers can be wrong, and the players have the right to voice their concerns...

The problem is players are often too chickenshit to speak their mind, in fear of being dropped in favour of more meek guys, and/or too ignorant to address the issue in the right way [see Anelka and his Etonian reply to Domenech]

Still, when you see baffling tactical decisions like Lippi's, or lackluster outings like England's, it's kinda hard debating even the Boss himself needs a reality check every now and then.

But in the end, the Manager is the one in charge and the one who will surely get blamed for the failure and get fired for that, so the final call should be on him anyway.

If the players don't like the way he works, they're free to refuse the call-up...

If the players don't like the way he works, they're free to refuse the call-up...

Not really true, Domenech refused to accept Makelele's retirement from the national team and kept calling him up. Although I guess Makelele was too classy to do an Anelka on Domenech

Players should be openly encouraged to have their input on all decisions and be free to speak their mind, but then the manager has the final say and they have to except it.

I'm very frustrated to hear that Capello supposedly blocked Terry and co from giving their opinions yesterday. Surely he should welcome their opinions on all matters as they are a team after-all, they should be as one, not just the manager saying this is how it's going to be and I'm not interested in your opinion. How is that a team? Surely that attitude is gonna cause conflict and tension hence the **** performances so far.

I think there's a balance to be had. For sure, the players ultimately must respect the manager's decision but at the same time, should feel able to go and have a quick word if something doesn't feel quite right.

For internationals the manager should reign supreme. This is normally due their capable handling a team qualifies for the World Cup so obviously the correct team, tactics, decisions and a slice of luck have aided this.

After the McClaren reign the team has been rebuilt and qualified with ease and this was down to the new managers methods. So really how can he get it so wrong in such a short space of time?

The answer, the players and the media (Blaming the red tops here). Any public challange to the managers reign are the result of the pampered and over paid pedstals they've place themselves on.

The manager has to be the boss and make the calls. If the players don't agree they don't have anything to do in the national team. You need one guy to call the shots and make sure the team has a central plan. You can't have 11 (or 23) guys trying to call the shots

It's all about the way it's done. Insulting and disrespecting the manager and whinging to the press is unacceptable but the players should be able to voice their opinions either through anominated representative or at team meetings. The manager does have the final say though and the players need to respect that.

Archived