World Cup Competitions and Sweepstakes

MrDiCanio

Does anyone participate in prediction competitions or sweepstakes during the World Cup?

Some mates and I are all trying to think of a decent prediction type game or something we can do to give us all a bit of interest in every game, just wondered if anyone had some decent ideas?

We all think the standard sweepstake is alright for a laugh, but seeing as some of us know very little about football and some know a lot, the latter feel it's unfair on them to draw North Korea when the less knowledgable draw Spain!

I did one of those for 2006, drew Angola. The guy who drew Brazil knew nowt about football except "Brazil are good", so he made a big thing about it in front of some arrogant sods. :D

I'm considering a bet on top scorer. Higuain is at great odds. 25-1 with Will Hill.

Was thinking of running a prediction thread/competition one (like I do the Dutch Eredivisie and Spanish La Liga), but will be on Holiday for the last part of the WC without Inet access, so won't run one.

I hate those sweeps things in offices, you're the one that really, really likes football and you pull out freaking Bahrain or something like that. Then some dizzy tart in the typing pool is getting really excited cause Spain are in the semi finals as if she had something to do with it :D

I hate those sweeps things in offices, you're the one that really, really likes football and you pull out freaking Bahrain or something like that. Then some dizzy tart in the typing pool is getting really excited cause Spain are in the semi finals as if she had something to do with it :D

Yeah thats what I mean, so we are trying (in vain) to think of something with a little more knowledge required.

Any ideas will be greatly appreciated :)

What me and some mates at my old work do is a betting syndicate. We limit it to 12 of us, each putting in £20. Then we have lengthy beer-fuelled discussions deciding what to bet on. We do outright betting and individual match betting – the latter massively extends the excitement of a match. E.g. we bet on Luca Toni to hit the woodwork (“Toni to get wood”) and in the 90th minute in Euro 2008 he hit the woodwork to send us all going mental, which must have looked a bit strange in the pub. Basically Euro 2008 was ffffb for us, despite the lack of England, due to having good bets which made the tournament interesting. We lost everything in the end, but the year before we doubled our money thanks to a canny £40 on 1-0 Zidane in the semis.

I take it there will be a fantasy football website for the WC? Will no doubt create a work league for that

I mentioned that in another thread, there is usually one from FIFA and another from Metro newspaper last World Cup (believe it or not!) and they pretty much used the same interface as the Premier League game and it was sweet!

Also, Premier League site did their own Fantasy League of only players playing in the Premier League too ... was surprisingly ok, well, until you get to the latter stages when everyone has pretty much the same team :D

What me and some mates at my old work do is a betting syndicate. We limit it to 12 of us, each putting in £20. Then we have lengthy beer-fuelled discussions deciding what to bet on. We do outright betting and individual match betting – the latter massively extends the excitement of a match. E.g. we bet on Luca Toni to hit the woodwork (“Toni to get wood”) and in the 90th minute in Euro 2008 he hit the woodwork to send us all going mental, which must have looked a bit strange in the pub. Basically Euro 2008 was ffffb for us, despite the lack of England, due to having good bets which made the tournament interesting. We lost everything in the end, but the year before we doubled our money thanks to a canny £40 on 1-0 Zidane in the semis.

I love this, genuinely love it.

Am writing a group facebook message right now to suggest it!

I also did one in 2006, drew Ecuador. It was all going so well until we lost against England in the last 16.

I got Mexico in 2006. When Maxi Rodriguez scored that goal, I wanted to hunt his mother down

I love this, genuinely love it.

Am writing a group facebook message right now to suggest it!

I eevn set up a forum for us to discuss what we're going to bet on, etc (obv I'm a mod on it :D ). The hardest thing is getting a group concensus, and I'd definitely recommend limiting the numbers to make it easier to organise.

That's a top idea :thup:

Archived