FM10: Official AS Roma thread, welcome to curva sud

Falahk

Foreword:

With former thread starter shootie in a position making him unable to update his thread, I have, after asking HoPeY for premission, taken mathers into my own hands to pen a new OP and bring it up to date with the current patch, much credit for this thread should still go to shootie thought, considering that I pretty much wrote this on top of his post, and used the same format

Welcome to the Official FM10 AS Roma thread

150px-AS_Roma.png

Associazione Sportiva Roma is an Italian football club and one of the major teams in Rome and Italy. Nicknamed the giallorossi (yellow-reds), they currently play in the Italian Serie A and the Europa League. Roma's home uniforms are maroon red shirts with golden yellow borders, white shorts and black socks.

The emblem of the team is the Capitoline she-wolf suckling twins, symbol of Rome, superimposed a bipartite golden-yellow over red shield; official colors are the same as those of the city of Rome, red for imperial dignity, and gold which represents the Pope or God in Christianity.

A.S. Roma was founded in July 1927. The city of Rome, at the time, had several teams in the Italian football league: S.S. Alba-Audace Roma (founded in 1926 with the fusion of Alba - 1911 - and Audace), Fortitudo-Pro Roma S.G.S. (founded in 1926 with the fusion of Fortitudo - 1908 - and Pro Roma - 1912), Roman F.C. (1901) and S.S. Lazio (1910). However the Fascist regime wanted to merge the latter into one which the working classes could identify with and strong enough to challenge the traditional northern teams to reinforce Rome's image as regime capital for propaganda purposes. Lazio management refused to even discuss the matter, but Alba-Audace, Fortitudo-Pro Roma and Roman agreed to merge and thus A.S. Roma was founded. Roma was named after the city with the traditional colors of the city of Rome. Their first stadium was Motovelodromo Appio. The following grounds have been Testaccio, Stadio Flaminio and Stadio Olimpico (the latter was built in 1952).

AS Roma took part in their first national league in the 1929-30 season and won their first Scudetto in 1941-42. The second one was won in the 1982-83 season and the third in 2000-01. They were runners-up in 1930-31, 1935-36, 1980-81, 1983-84, 1985-86, 2001-02 2003-04 and 2007-08 They were relegated only once, at the end of the 1950-51 season, returning to Serie A the next season.

In September 2009 the club unveiled plans to build a new 55,000-capacity stadium in the western suburbs of Rome. Its design will be modeled after English football stadiums with the objective being to give fans a closer view of the pitch, if built, the stadium is rumored to be named after former chairman Franco Sensi

Stadium : Stadio Olimpico

stadio%20olimpico%20roma.jpg

Football Manager 2010 Information

Chairman Status: Loves the club

Club Legends: Francesco Totti, Bruno Conti

Icons: Aldair, Daniele De Rossi, Carlo Mazzone, Zdeneck Zeman, Abel Balbo, Nils Liedholm, Vincenzo Montella, Alberto De Rossi

Favoured Personel: Damiano Tommasi, Guiseppe Giannini, Marco Delvecchio

Fierce Rivals: Catania, Inter, Lazio, Juventus, Napoli

Other Rivals: Atlanta, Fiorentina, AC Milan, Bolonga, Verona, Brescia

Finances: Secure

Transfer Budget (Winner) : £0

Wage Budget (Winner): £1.1M

---------------------------------------------------------------

Squad Analysis

Goalkeepers

Júlio Sérgio, 30

injury truble at the start of this session have seen Sérgio's rise to become first chose keeper at Roma, the guy that more or less came form nowhere have played a big part in Claudio Ranieri's tittle challenge.

In game terms this means we have to wait until fm11 befor Júlio Sérgio can become a solid first chose, He should however hold his own for the first few games until the crocked players make a comeback, and at that point he will play the role as solid back up

Doni, 29

one of Roma's 3 Brazilian keepers, he have been first choice keeper at AS Roma for the past few seasons after joining the club from Juventude in 2005, nowdays he have stiff competition for the first spot with Sergio, Doni have often been criticized by some fans for his inconsistency, but he can, at his best moments, be a class keeper.

Bogdan Lobont, 31 (on loan from Dinamo Bucureşti)

a solid Romanian keeper who joined Roma during the summer on loan from Dinamo Bucherest, sadly injuries have stoped him from playing much this year (and for this very reason he have not been picked in the first team by mr. Claudio) with other words, Bogdan Lobont knocked out of contention for 4-5 moths at the start of the game

Artur, 28

A Brazillian Keeper who joined Roma from Siena in 2008 in an exchange deal that saw Curci go the other way on co-ownership. during his tenure at AS Roma he have stod in the shadow of the other keepers, and he have failed to impress on the limited chanses he have been given, his poor ingame stats reflect this

Position Analysis and my thoughts:

This is in many ways a problem aria for the team, with your two best keepers knocked out on long term injuries. My first action here would be to offload Artur, Doni also sit on a pretty big deal which dont make him a suitable back up, so if you want to bring in a new keeper you should look to sell Doni aswell after he have recovered from his injury. Lobont's place in your team should also be put under consideration due to his injury, liberating him from his loan contract is surly a viable option in order to free up wages.

Sergio should be given a new contract since he makes for a solid back up, and his wage demands are not very high

Worth of note is that you still co-own the Rome son, Gianaluca Curci who'em possibly is better then all your current keepers, long term, I would look to bring him back home to Rome.

Full Backs

Marco Motta, 23 (Co-owned with Udinese)

a solid fullback, many would argue he deserves more chanses in the first team, since he have done very well when he have played, ingame he is a versatile player that can play on the left or right hand side of defense and midfield

John Arne Riise, 28

Needs no introduction to Liverpool fans, the Norwegian Left Back is a good all-round player on Football Manager 10.

Max Tonetto, 34

The experienced Left Back joined Roma on a free from Sampdoria in 2006, while old he is still a solid back up to Riise for one year

Marco Cassetti, 32

An experianced and very flexible player (in some ways he is a bit of Roma's John O'Shea), Cassetti's crosses is possibly what stands out, he have often been criticized for his lack of tidyness in his own end, and a few argue he is finished at this level.

You have a couple of ageing players here, but they are all still pretty decent and will atleast hold up early on, you dont have to buy new players here for the first session, but will probably be forced to do so on the secound or the third

Sevilla seams to offer out Konko for a small fee most of the time, so he could be considered as a very good upgrade on Tonetto, should you manage to land him, otherwise the priority should be to bring in Motta permanently

Center Backs

Philipe Mexes, 27

The French defender is one of the best in the league on FM. Keep unless you get a 20 Million offer or more (Because you really need the money)

Juan, 30

Similar player to Mexes, a top quality center back. Keep unless big offer comes in.

Nicolas Burdisso, 28 (on loan from Internazionale)

Great player to have in your squad. Dont have to pay his wages either and can challenge for a starting place. Can also cover at left and right back, you should look at signing him on a free transfer when his inter deal runs out (if possible), or use the buy out clause (if you fail to get him on free)

Marco Andreolli, 23

your 4th chose cb, only really usefull in times of emergency, and it could be argued that Faty can preform just as well as emergency back up

A strong aria of the team both Mexes and Juan are top class players on the game, while Burdisso is a solid back up, long term you should probebly look to move Andreolli and bring in a better player to proved more depth, you should resign Mexes to a long term deal on day1

Central Midfield

Matteo Brighi ,28

a solid middfilder, one of the better italian cm's on the game infact

Daniele De Rossi, 25

while Totti is the creative god up front, De Rossi is the spine and heart of your team, a must be keep at all costs, will be in your team for many years, he is the one who will become your captain when Totti moves on to join your backroom staff, and he is also by far one of the best defensive midfielders on the game and he often score 10+ shoots from distance a session

I still have found memories of a 35 year old pace 5 De Rossi blasting in 13 scrochers (and one hat trick to boot), dispite him only playing about half the games due to his abysmal physical stats at that stage on my fm08 save

Ricardo Faty, 22

a promising yougster in real life, and he have preformed well on the few occasion he have been given a chanse, in game Faty is a decent utility player, can in times of emergency even preform decently on ceterback

David Pizzaro, 29

provides the middfield with a fair bit of creativety

Simone Perrotta, 31

Injured for 2-3 months. A good midfielder with a great work rate, while he is growing a bit old, its not really a problem considering the possition he plays at

Julio Baptista, 27

Baptista's arrival made it watter in the moth of many giallorossi fans, the expected success did however run down the drain, he is still an extremly usefull utility player thought, and on a good day, a class player

An other strong point of the team, De Rossi, Pizzaro and Birghi in particular stands out as great players, you should look to resign De Rossi to a long term deal on day1, as the game progress a few years you may want to repalce Perrotta (due to age when he pass his peak) and Faty (to fit in a better player in the first team), you may also consider to cash in on Baptista since he can give a healthy cash return and he sits on a big contract, but since Baptista is a decent player you need to consider this very carefully

Wingers

Rodrigo Taddei, 29

decent all-round player, great determination stats to, not as fast as he used to be on previous incarnations of fm, but still usefull

Alessio Cerci, 21

a promesing yougster, dont really posses the killing touch in front of the net just yet, but he shoud do fine as a first team back up

Jeremy Menez, 22

A favourite of many in previous FMs he keeps roughly the same stats as FM 09, his poor teamwork/workrate, makes him a bit of an inconsistant and egoistic player thought, this makes me think he would work best up front as a poacher or in a very attacking midfield role

the squad lack good wingers and I would hence advise playing a narrow formation (or a 3-4-3 where you can push up the wide defenders to ML/MR in order to provide depth), the good part with this is that many of these wingers can also fill different roles, I will go into more depth on suitable formations later

Forwards

Francesco Totti, 32

Best player to ever walk this planet, already legend in so many ways, the guy who makes skill moves look easy, the compleat player....I could go on puting out of superlatives to discribe him, but that should do for now.

in game terms he is a creative powerhouse and a good set pice taker, from the look of things he would probebly work best on AMC due to his high level of creativety and lack of pace

Mirko Vucinic, 25

just gets better and better for each year in Rome, and Mirko is a class player on the game, much like Totti, I would be tempted to play Vucinic on AMC due to his creative ability

Luca Toni, 32 (on loan from Bayern Munich)

A pure goal scorer with a nose for the net, taking his recent preformance into acount he may very well be the player Roma have missed during the Spalletti years, he lacks a bit on pace, but is otherwise a very good player

Fabio Zamblera, 19 (on loan from Newcastle)

a yougster on loan from Toon, I have yet to see him play irl, but in game terms he is fast and have a good abilty to finish plays, if he evolves well you could consider to making his loan permanent

You have a few class players here and a pair of very good prospects out on loan, Toni's loan contract could be an economical obstical, hence you could consider to cancel it in order to free up cash, but I would still look to keep Toni since he is a class striker, you should instantly look to resign Totti to a one year extention, since he will accept a slightly lower deal then his current contract.

Youngsters to watch

Stefano Okaka (Striker, away at loan to Fulham), Marco D'Alessandro (Striker/Attacking Midfield Right, away at lone to Grosseto), Alessandro Crescenzi (Defender Left/Right, away at lone to Grosseto) Luis Jarome Dieme (striker), Adrian Stoian (Attacking Middfielder Center/Right), Sebastian Mladen (Central Defender)

I would suggest terminating the feeder club deal with Grosseto on day 1, so that you can fully control the development of D'Alessandro and Crescenzi from the very start

Rome.jpg

And remember, selling half the first team to make big signings galacticos style, is not the AS Roma way.

disclaimer: I will keep updating this post with more info, and add some useful links along the way, this is just a starting point at this stage, and over time this OP will probably develop into something more of my own work, and of the posters in the thread sharing there experience of playing the club

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The emblem of the team is the Capitoline she-wolf suckling twins, symbol of Rome, superimposed a bipartite golden-yellow over red shield; official colors are the same as those of the city of Rome, red for imperial dignity, and gold which represents the Pope or God in Christianity.

I always thought it was a cow being milked! :eek:

Brilliant thread, I like it. :)

I always thought it was a cow being milked! :eek:

Brilliant thread, I like it. :)

so far its pretty much some of my basic thoughts on the current squad, shootie's former OP, and a small part wiki text (which shootie also used)

after many preseason tests using difrent aproches I have now made up my mind and started properly, I will be using the starting team with minor tweeks, bought in sergi and verratti while I sold artur, i will be playing my 4-2-3-1 (so yeah new plan again, but i feel much more confortable playing like this and why shoud i not? considering that its the formation roma use irl)

I just lost my first game for the session, Parma had one shoot on target, I had many and a pair of woodworks, ah well what can one do, somtimes the game just decides to hate you, maybe i could blame it im having half my first team disabled on injury's

I have now made it to half session mark, Im sitting in a very comfortable 3rd place, 10pts ahead of Udinese in 4th, and 3 points short of league leaders Inter, in the euro league my team played like crap but still made it to the knock out round (in which i will face Celtic)

transfer news: I have just locked up deals for Burdisso and Rivas, both will join me on frees, while im offloading Andreolli to get some much needed cash, since he will became surplus requirements with the arrival of Rivas, hence Faty will be my forth chose central defender for the comming 6 months.

Real Madrid have also managed to unsettle Riise, but he is going nowhere until a suitable replacement can be found, and i will probably keep him around anyway

economy: this bit is looking much more bleak then I anticipated, im sitting £10milj in the red, and will have heavy loan repayments untill the next session, however with a champions league spot pretty much secured, and tv cash arriving during the summer, i supose its not all bad

player of the moment: Doni, 10 cleansheats in 13 games, while some impressive defending surly have helped him, its hard to argue with that amount of cleansheats

Romayearone.png

first of all, some big ups for ai Mourinho, he really deservs some credit

as for my own session, I feel I did ok, considering the injury crises at the start, and then having Vucinic crocked twise, sadly i got knocked out of both the euro cup and the domestic cup one round to early (from what the bord expected), with Celtic and Genoa becoming to dificult, Toni was top scorer neting 20 goals (he was unlucky to not score more to be honest), Doni finnished session with 21 cleansheats, but since he is Doni, he also had a pair of horrible games leting in everything

first year's transfers:

romatransfersyearone.png

for the upcoming year I will probably look to offload some of the players that was away on loan, and bring in Curci permanently, maybe I need to sign a striker to replace Toni, but im considering to take one more mediocre year and gamble on Okaka being ready to step up and Vucinic staying healthy

I've just started a new Roma game on 10.3 and Im thinking an all italian Roma side.

Any suggestion on who to buy?

So far I've sold:

Artur (1mil)

Rodrigo Taddei to City for 11Million

Jeremy Menez to Real Madrid for 11Million

I've brought in Marco Verrati from Pescara and Im thinking on buying Milans half on Giacomo Beretta.

Playing 4-2-3-1 with Toni upfront, Baptista, Totti and Vucinic behind and behind those I've De Rossi and Brighi/Pizzaro and the defensive line is Riise-Mexes-Burdisso- Cassetti/Motta.

As I've just started I have injuries on Juan, Doni, Perrotta and Lobont

I've just started a new Roma game on 10.3 and Im thinking an all italian Roma side.

going for an all italian Roma side would not really be realistic, during recent decades the team have had a resonable number of french and south american players in particular, if you want to mirror Roma's current policy, you should strive to build the team around an italian core trained by the club, boosted by bargin signings (transfer listed players and free transfers), you should also strive to keep the first team as intact as possible betwin sessions

reminder to myself: check favored clubs and place of birth when buying players, no wonder Peluso have sucked so much, hopfully he will settle in thought since his stats are decent

im siting on a bit of a dilema...should I sign Guti (on free, well tranferlisted for 0£) and one of the following 3 (for some big cash): Giuseppe Rossi or Giampaolo Pazzini or Robert Acquafresca and by doing so put one hand on the scudetto, domestic cup and champions league

so why is there dubt in such an action? it would make me feel like I simply bought it, and so I would fall into the regular trap...but then on the other hand, it would be great to bring home some titles for the oldies that will play there last session this year or the next

Its my vision to compile a tactic set usable with the current AS Roma squad, and hence it would be great to have contributions from the posters on here to share there tactics and experience to help me out in this task, so that the mentioned set dont suffer from my own pretty limited view on how football should be played.

I think I'm gonna finally give Roma a go, after wanting to for quite awhile. I was wondering how everyone plays De Rossi usually? I was thinking about playing him as a box to box since his attacking attributes seem wasted at any DMC position.

Also, if anyone is looking for a long term replacement to Totti, I think Davide Petrucci from Man U would be the best fit. He's not the leader that Totti is, but his technical skills can turn out just as good as Totti's. Plus, he's Italian.

Ok, well I've started my save and I feel like I've worked out some pretty good tactics that work well with the team. The only signing I made was Lacina Traore, with the thinking that if he starts doing well, I'll end Toni's loan so I don't have to eat the huge wages. Anyway, I'm playing a 4-1-3-2 or 4-3-1-2 depending on how hard the game is. Up top I have Totti playing Trequartista and Toni playing target man. I used a similar tactic at Juve with a ton of success, so hopefully it works out well.

I can't make De Rossi play any good atm. He's average rating is around 6.80 as a Box-to-Box midfielder or Defensive midfielder. Can't really figure out how to make him perform

I have been using him as deep playmaker, but then I dont pay much attention to player ratings, they are even more skewed in the wrong direction on 10,3 then befor, now you pretty much only get good ratings on players puting in 2+ goals, doing an assist or well.... players playing fullback

Hi! I've not long started a new game with Roma with the task of making them the best team in Italy and eventually Europe.

I'm currently at the end of November and sit 2nd in Serie A and am on course to get through the Europa League group stage no problem.

I've made no incoming transfers so far and have only sold Tonetto to Fiorentina for £1m and Dieme to Hoffenheim for 400k plus 50% profit.

Obviously money is tight to start with so i'm hoping to agree to sign the likes of Riquelme for free at the start of next season. I may try and bring in one or two players on loan in January if there is still no transfer money available. I'm hoping a good run in the Europa League and a decent finish in the league will bring in some cash next season so I can replace some of the average players with world class ones.

Squad:

11453645.th.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

i have finnished my secound year, and is mid way into the 3rd, but wont be able to provide any intresting screens just yet (since my home connection is screwed)

secound session was for most parts a massive disapointment, dispite having a stronger team i only managed to finnish 4th and i got knocked out in my secound domestic cup game, however, I did manage to win champions league (much to my own suprise, knocking out barca in the semi on away goals and beating real 2-1 after goals in the 85th and 90th min in the final)

• 2 weeks later...
the financial status is pathetic .

you mean how its represented in the game? or how it drains away during the first session?

thankfully one seams to get a fair bit of tv cash after the first session, and if one make it to the CL group stage for year two, the economy should be a check

there's no money for me to sign players , i've got to pay by installments .

lost Jorge Andrade because i didnt have money to pay him signing on fees . ):

currently signed Verratti in the team only .

looking to sell Cerci and Taddei as i wanna centralised the formation .

i have finnished my secound year, and is mid way into the 3rd, but wont be able to provide any intresting screens just yet (since my home connection is screwed)

secound session was for most parts a massive disappointment, dispite having a stronger team i only managed to finnish 4th and i got knocked out in my secound domestic cup game, however, I did manage to win champions league (much to my own suprise, knocking out barca in the semi on away goals and beating real 2-1 after goals in the 85th and 90th min in the final)

to follow up a bit on this, here goes the transfers for year two:

romayeartwotransfers.png

Storari was brought in on a one year deal since Siena delayed the Curci co-owenership deal, but Storari failed to impress when given the chanse, hence Sergio kept the back up slot for one more year, while Storari was offloaded to Lecce for £1milj 6 months after his arrival (due to the high number of yougsters droped on free I could not fit the later part of this transfer in one screenshoot), I most say i kinda regret selling Antunes after his drastic improvments during year two & three, in retrospect I prolly should have sent him away on loan

overall thought Im pleased with the transfers I did, Cani in particular did very well for the 5 months i had him, and provided much needed depth for my end session CL run, would have bought him in permanently had he been younger

anyway, here goes the mentioned CL run, the only highlight of session 2:

ChampionsRoma.png

year three ended up as my best effort so far, wining everything i could win, and going on a 34 match long unbeaten run, Doni and Curci was both imense (so good that i decided against bringing in Adler on a free transfer), as was the defence in front of them, Vucinic, Taffer and Rossi was to be honest, not that good up front, but i supose 18 goals from Mexes, 10 from Totti (at 35 he had his best session so far from me) and 11 from Verratti made up for it to some extent

RomaCLyear3.png

I had a very easy ride in CL, untill the final much thanks to avoiding the difficult teams (barca/real/arsenal), well in the final Aquilani saved my bacon with a late goal, and thankfully my players kept there composure and won me the penelty lottery, Totti also neted the best goal of the tourny, yay!

romaleagueyear3.png

in the league Inter had a bad start which surly made stuff a lot more easy for me, overall i picked up to many draws in games i should have won due to low prefomance from my strikers, but oh well, no point in complaining when im wining it all

romatransfersyear3.png

the transfers saw the return of two lost sons, at first i was planing to buy Mesut Özil for the middfield, but a stroke of insanetey made me bring back Aquilani instead (whoem repayed me by neting a hat trick in his first game from start, geting crocked for 2 months, being averange for some time after that, until he won me the CL final, so cash well spent). Taiwo allowed me to put Riise on the bench and may very well have been the best singing i did this session

there's no money for me to sign players , i've got to pay by installments .

lost Jorge Andrade because i didnt have money to pay him signing on fees . ):

currently signed Verratti in the team only .

looking to sell Cerci and Taddei as i wanna centralised the formation .

that we dont have much cash to buy big names irl is a pretty well known fact (missing out on CL for the 09/10 session surely did not help ether), due to the economical state it will also be tricky to buy better players then you currently have, so i would suggest buying a pair of yougsters and keep the starting squad pretty much intact, untill tv cash and CL money arrive

keep in mind that Taddei have 19 determination, and professional personalety, that kind of players are always usefull

• 2 weeks later...

Just started this game now, looking like a bit of a challenge so far (although not played games). I quite enjoy trying to get teams that have dropped off a bit back to the top... Valencia/Leverkusen/Aston Villa/Roma non are strongest in league, but with a bit of work can push for the top, and then CL. Will update with further updates when played a bit. Wondering who to offload on my wage will at the moment..

that we dont have much cash to buy big names irl is a pretty well known fact (missing out on CL for the 09/10 session surely did not help ether), due to the economical state it will also be tricky to buy better players then you currently have, so i would suggest buying a pair of yougsters and keep the starting squad pretty much intact, untill tv cash and CL money arrive

keep in mind that Taddei have 19 determination, and professional personalety, that kind of players are always usefull

maybe i'll retry using this team again one day , and i'll follow the guildeline too .

• 2 weeks later...

My interest faded pretty quickly last time, but I'm going to try to give them another go to keep this thread more active.

First season I ended Toni's loan, so I had some money. I'm trying to follow Falahk's transfer suggestions, so I brought in Gignac to play forward. Affelay became transfer listed towards the end of the window so I picked him up too. So far, so good in both Europe and Serie A, first place after 8 matches with my only non victory coming against Inter who I drew 1-1 away with Gignac's first goal in the 94th minute :). I just pounded Juve 3-1, so that made me quite happy too.

Totti has been ripping it up in Europe as an AMC trequartista, but hasn't really had the same form at home, but when I play him as striker he seem to be getting it done.

Gignac hasn't been scoring much, but my midfield likes to pound em in from his passes, so he has 4 assists already in league. Sadly he got injured for a bit, so Totti will go up top since Vucinic is tearing it up at AMC. Affelay is cup tied, but he's start picking it up in the league now that I'm starting him. He now has 2 goals and 4 assists in just 4 starts. I'm also tutoring him with De Rossi, which I wasn't sure would help at all, but his determination has gone up 3 already, so it's working very well :) and it looks like he'll be a fantastic captain when De Rossi's absent. Oh I also just started tutoring Andreolli with Mexes and his determination went up after 2 days lol.

By the way, Mexes at ball playing stopper is insane. He's only had three matches under a 7.0 and one of them he was injured early in. He's averaging 7.56 right now and only has one goal, so I'm very happy with his defensive work.

For long term plans I'm going to bring in a couple of Roman's in Macheda and Petrucci when I can afford them, then most likely out of favor Italian's, transfer listed players, and one of the younger French CM's.

Also drinking some great Italian wine today, so I'm really in the mood to play all day.

I think that it is obvious from my username where my allegiances lie in the Serie A, but I haven't posted in this thread until now. :eek:

Last week I started a new Roma game (unpatched!) where I can only use players at the club at the start and players promoted from the academy.

I've now reached November of the first season and the best performer has been Vucinic who has 17 goals in 16 appearances.

Unfortunately most of the goals came in the qualifying rounds of the Euro Cup, whereas in the league the whole team got off to a mediocre start.

As I can't buy players (let's see how long I can keep that going) I've started giving players which I usually don't give a second look some games and they're coming on quite well.

I'll post screenshots at the end of the season.

Probably just unpatched database I'm guessing? or he just wants Totti and De Rossi to score 100 goals a season with the crazy long shots on the first patch.

Anyway, I'm 16 matches into the league now and still doing great. Still unbeaten, but drew 4 straight matches....blah. I'm sitting one point behind Inter, but 11 up on third place, so Champions League is looking rather obtainable.

I signed Damiano Ferronetti as he was transfer listed and looks like a great back up defender. Luca Toni is transfer listed as well, but his wage demands are probably going to be way too high. It does look like Man City is going to make a move for Riise, and as much as I'd like to keep him, I sure would like to stabilize my finances a little.

And Man City has made a straight up €14m bid for Riise, so I will say farewell to him. I'll probably play Antonini on the left and Motta on the right. I also decided to sell Baptista, who isn't really needed for €15m. So hopefully those finances will look a little nicer.

Also, Afellay has been playing out of his mind and now has 6 goals and 4 assists in 11 starts.

• 2 weeks later...

killface@ nice to see ya pick up Ferronetti and Petrucci, but well...did you pay any attention to which Rome team Macheda played for?

I could not bring myself to sell Riise considering the amount of affection he have showed the club and how he have played IRL, but it would probebly still be a sensible thing to do since Riise aint a player that can take the club to a new level on the game, even more so when playing top teams with pacy wingers

oh and I will also provide this screen on why you ppl should keep Antunes around, ether as a back up or rotation player (and not be stupid like I was to sell him for cheep to Leicester...)

Antunes.png

How dire will the financial situation become if I don't free up 30M euro's by selling players, but keep them all? Will the 2 loans which need to be repayed by june 2011 put me into administration?

i kept (almost) all my players like my screenshoots suggest since i wanted to give them all a fair chanse and so dived a fair bit into the red during the session, it should also be noted that you have 2 additional loans to pay during the first session (which make things look worse then they are). but you get tons of tv cash if you do decent, I finished 2nd and hence got close to £60milj, and if you add champions league cash on top of that you should be able to turn the economy around

so to be honest, if you manage to finish top 4 with the starting squad you should be fine

Brought in M. Diarra (madrid) on loan and renewed some player's contract's on lower wages, so I'll see how it goes. Currently drawing way too many games, so I'm around 8th place at the start of December, but my tactic is coming together, so I'm confident of getting a CL place :)

Session 4 review

one of the best things i did this year was puting Montella in charge of my primavera team, after Arsenal poached Alberto De Rossi from me, and as a result my yougsters crushed all resistance, hopefully I can also promote Montalla to assistant when Damianos deal runs out:

RomaPrimaveraMontella.png

In the transfer market I was mostly active to sign yougsters for cheep aswell as bringing in the Wall for back up duties (Burdisso looked very shaky year 3, while age is kicking in for Juan), Willian for a winger/amc option and Criscito for LB and/or sweeper (and maybe a long term replacement for my ageing CB's?)

romatransfersyear4.png

I started of the year geting kicked by AC Milan on pens in the super cup, and losing to Sporting CP on an 89th min goal (bugger), thankfully stuff turned around and I did get an easy groupe in CL thought

this made me overly optemistic hence I gambled on playing back up's and yougsters, so I had to beat Debrecen in my last game to finnish secound in my groupe, ofcorse I won that game, but this backlashed by providing me with the worst possible draw for the knock out rounds:

RomaCLyear4.png

the easy CL groupe also let me shift my focus to the league, in which I picked up an early 14 points lead, that I almost managed to clinsh onto until the end (oh...and way to go Lazio, enjoy your serie b adventure, this might even be a bad thing tho since Udinese, a much better team, poached Zarate)

Romaleagueyear4.png

club worlds and the cup (had a bit fluke on the draw) was also sorted with relative ease so even more silverware for me!

• 2 weeks later...

Somehow made Roma a very defensive team, total accident too.

Playing a 3-2-1-3-1 formation. Yes, three centre backs, two defensive midfielders, one central mid, three attacking mids and a striker.

Using paying over 48 months and exchanging players I've brought in:

Palombo

Felix Kroos

David Luiz

Mesut Ozil (Pizzarro and a few pennies was all I needed)

Also sold John Arne Riise for 7 mil to Arsenal, ended Luca Toni's loan and lowered Totti's wages to give me the funds to spend.

How the formation works:

Goalkeeper defend - Doni

Left and right centre backs - CB defend - David Luiz and Juan

Central centre back - CB cover - Mexes (rejected a 20mil bid for him)

RDM- Palombo - Anchor Man

LDM- Def mid supprt - De Rossi (working well there too)

CM - CM sup - Brighi

RAM & LAM - Inside forward attack - Taddei and Baptista

CAM - Advanced Playmaker sup - Totti

ST - DLF attack - Vucinic.

How can I make my team score more? We dominate possession (checked my last 5 games, 4 of which we had over 60% possession) and obviously don't let in goals so why can't I score? Totti and Vucinic are good finishers and I know we CAN score goals (beat Inter 4-3 in our second game) but recently they just seem to have dried up?

Somehow made Roma a very defensive team, total accident too.

Playing a 3-2-1-3-1 formation. Yes, three centre backs, two defensive midfielders, one central mid, three attacking mids and a striker.

Using paying over 48 months and exchanging players I've brought in:

Palombo

Felix Kroos

David Luiz

Mesut Ozil (Pizzarro and a few pennies was all I needed)

Also sold John Arne Riise for 7 mil to Arsenal, ended Luca Toni's loan and lowered Totti's wages to give me the funds to spend.

How the formation works:

Goalkeeper defend - Doni

Left and right centre backs - CB defend - David Luiz and Juan

Central centre back - CB cover - Mexes (rejected a 20mil bid for him)

RDM- Palombo - Anchor Man

LDM- Def mid supprt - De Rossi (working well there too)

CM - CM sup - Brighi

RAM & LAM - Inside forward attack - Taddei and Baptista

CAM - Advanced Playmaker sup - Totti

ST - DLF attack - Vucinic.

How can I make my team score more? We dominate possession (checked my last 5 games, 4 of which we had over 60% possession) and obviously don't let in goals so why can't I score? Totti and Vucinic are good finishers and I know we CAN score goals (beat Inter 4-3 in our second game) but recently they just seem to have dried up?

I'd use Menez or Ozil instead of Baptista, with their dribbling, speed and flair they can create chances for others or score themselves and perhaps use De Rossi as a deep-lying playmaker so that he can use his good passing and mental stats.

@Falahk, well done on winning the quadruple!

Retraining Menez as a striker due to his style of play reminding me of Vucinic (saves me buying a striker) and Ozil plays best as the Totti cover.

Baptista's actually been a great player this season, he seems to just tank through the defence and is a good physical presence so I'm reluctant to drop it.

Initially had Vucinic as TM with ball to feet, switched it to run onto ball and he's playing better so I think the goals will soon start to flow.

De Rossi's now been sent off two games in a row, first was two yellow cards and the second a straight red. I'm going to fine him and have to lower his tackle to easy even though it's only normal.

I meant he plays best in the position I'm using Totti in :p he's not all that great as an inside forward so I don't waste him there.

Goal scoring's starting to improve as I've hit February. Think it may have just been the team adjusting to my style of play.

I have now played two seasons with Roma. I made a restriction of having only Italian and Brazilian players + at most 3 palyers from other countries in my squad. Also they have to be "pure" Italians and Brazilians..so for example Argentinean player with Italian as an second nationality doesnt count as an Italian player. Currently my only non Italian/Brazilian players are Vucinic and Mexes. I think this makes a game more of a challenge and entertaining.

So, in a first season I managed 4th place in serie A, got to finals in Italian Cup (against Milan) and Euro-cup (against A Madrid) and lost both.

In second season managed to 3rd place in serie A (fought for scudetto till the end), got again to final in Italian Cup (again against Milan) and also for my own surprise got to final in UCL also (against Inter), played well for both finals but AGAIN lost both!! :( The latter final was even more disappointing because it was Tottis final game before retirement and I couldnt win UCL for him.

So, two years, four finals, and four losses!! At least my motivation stays high not having won anything yet!

I traded Baptista for Ozil, straight swap :D I really don't know whether to end Toni's loan or not, he's SO expensive but he's such a great striker...scored a hatrick and played a 9.5 on his debut (admittedly against some awful Norwegian team in the Europa League qualifier) it's put me in a real difficult position :\

Just completed my first season of FM2010. The league season went terrifically well.

241mtq9.png

Elsewhere I finished as runner-up to Liverpool in the Europa League and lost to eventual winners AC Milan in the Coppa Italia.

The financial constraints are horrendous but I managed to get by without spending much money. One of my favourite players IRL, Simone Perrotta, was sold to Liverpool for not toeing the line.

124h8gw.png

I played a 4-2-3-1 (Style of the times). With Vucinic or Toni as a Poacher/Complete Forward/Target Man, Totti or Júlio Baptista in behind as an Attacking Midfielder and Ménez & Taddei as Inside Forward and Winger respectively. David Pizarro was the deep-lying playmaker from DMC with De Rossi cleaning up any attacks. The midfield duo was more trouble than it was worth at times with both players notching over 4 red cards each.

Hopefully I'll be endowed with a more plentiful transfer kitty this term. I intend to play on until Totti retires or at least is not good enough to start/play anymore, then I'll see where my success takes me.

now thats an impressive achivement RichieThreeOne, better then i did with the intial squad, I hope you will stick around longer at Roma then Totti's retirement tho (its not the end, just the begning of a new era with Totti as a part of your backroom staff...), would you mind uploading your tactic so i can take a glance at it and maybe add it to the secound post?

celebretty, looks like you robbed bremen with that swoop, was on the verge to open my valet and buy Özil to, but like i mentioned in my session 3 summary, went for Aquilani instead

Session 5 review

And what a disaster it was!

i tried a very different aproche and stuck by a 4-5-1 for pretty much all of the session, all in all it was pretty consistant, but i was also unable to conter some specific teams, Udinese's x-mass tree formation in particular, and there trident in consisting of Zarate, Hazard and Sanchez, this in turn cost me the league and the italian supercup, while Burdisso put in an aweful display in the domestic cup vs Sampdoria leading to an early exit, and it put my patience with the metioned player over the edge (that game was the last one he played and he is joining Galatasaray in the upcomiong window)

romayear5.png

In CL i got knocked out by inter after losing 1-3 at home, dispite wining all other games vs them this session (including an epic 3-0 trashing), bugger

dispite all this i still notched in european supercup beating Man City and the club worlds beating boca

Montella had no wish to be assistant, so m scout, Thorsten Legat got promoted instead, while Montella remained in chrage of the primavera team, and what a job he did! (and maybe it could go as a prof that i was onto something with my 4-5-1 formation)

primaveraRomayear5.png

in the market i wanted to bring in wingers and a TM striker good enough to start, Coentrao failed to impress thought, hence Menez and a cuple of regens rotated on the AMR spot

Romatransfersyear5.png

all this have left me with a renewed vigor to do well and win everything yet again in Totti's last year on the pitch, i will probebly slim down my squad slightly and promote some regens, but it will still be an obcenly large squad by the standards of most fm10 players...

now thats an impressive achivement RichieThreeOne, better then i did with the intial squad, I hope you will stick around longer at Roma then Totti's retirement tho (its not the end, just the begning of a new era with Totti as a part of your backroom staff...), would you mind uploading your tactic so i can take a glance at it and maybe add it to the secound post?

Not a bad idea. Totti as a coach would be epic to say the least.

Here's the basic tactic: http://www.filefront.com/17065133/4-2-3-1%20Deep%20ROMA%20-%20Basic%20%28Roma%2C%20Oct%202010%29.tac

Adapt it depending on opponents. The easiest way to do this being in-game shouts.

When you come up against tougher opposition, namely Inter or Juventus, try the defensive variation:

http://www.filefront.com/17065163/4-2-3-1%20Deep%20ROMA%20-%20Def%20%28Roma%2C%20Oct%202010%29.tac

Just begun the second season. It's not going quite so well as the first, probably because I've not been sticking to same team instructions. Nevertheless, I'm still poised in Serie A and the Champions League.

So, start of the 3rd season for Roma then. Bought three players in the summer, Naldo, Sandro and my main investment Aguero. After these purchases I constructed a completely new tactic, 4213. Opening line-up is following:

GK, gk-defend, Marco Amelia

DR, wingback-support, Marco Motta

DL, wingback-support, Diego Renan

DC, central defender-stopper, Mexes

DC, central defender-defend, Luisao

DMC, defmid-support, De Rossi

DMC, deep lying pm-support, Sandro

AMC, attmid-support, Marco Verratti

FC, deep lying forward-attack, Neymar

FC, advanced forward-attack, Aguero

FC, complete forward-support, Vucinic.

So, the idea is that defmids keep the oppositino from coming through at the centre, I have good central defenders against crosses, fullback will support my attacks. Attmid plays lower in the pitch and passes through balls to forwards taht should have enough quality to score enough goals, I hope.

Archived