• 3 weeks later...
Nomis07, if you don't like the content, don't join the forum or post in this thread.

I don't have a problem with it, I wanted to see if that's what the forum was like because if it is then i'd be interested in joining.

Quite a relevant name to be honest, I agree with Nomis as all the spam and immature posting is a real turn off seeing as most topics turn into a jokey spam fest which is less humourous to an onlooker than a dieing cat.

If you don't like the content, don't join the forum or post in this thread.

Surely as ana dmin though you would rather look into views that are being mentioned rather than saying "ignore the site then", as that isn't an attitude which admins should have and need when making a site as ALL views should be looked into to improve.

We are a site that allows everyone to state their views, whatever they may be. We have a threshold, but it is much higher than the one on this forum.

I am saying, if you are simply looking for a fight and, judging by your views of the forum, you are, then stay away.

If you are not, then you are most welcome. :)

You say that but potential members look at the forum first and watch threads like I did. Expecting guests to join you need to provide something like downloads as well as quality discussion where as looking at your forum (I went straight into FM) I found lots of threads containing immature banter which leads the topic into spam within five posts.

You say that but potential members look at the forum first and watch threads like I did. Expecting guests to join you need to provide something like downloads as well as quality discussion where as looking at your forum (I went straight into FM) I found lots of threads containing immature banter which leads the topic into spam within five posts.

As I have stated, everyone is allowed to state their opinions. I will not be stopping people doing that simply because you want me to.

Downloads being available is being discussed and worked on by the way. :)

I never stated people cannot have an opinion, I said you are saying negative comments are being ignored with "if you don't like the site, don't visit".

As I said, the few topics I looked at were full of spam and off topic nonsense which made me immediatly leave the site.

And as I have said, I said that because we don't want people who are looking for fights over there.

Please, give me an example of the immaturity on the forum, outside of the 'infractions' thread.

Keeping on topic is also not something we are strict about.

I never stated people cannot have an opinion, I said you are saying negative comments are being ignored with "if you don't like the site, don't visit".

As I said, the few topics I looked at were full of spam and off topic nonsense which made me immediatly leave the site.

which ones would they be?

Why? :confused:

Just does not look very proffessional imo, call me old-fashioned :p

I had a look around and was drawn to the infractions thread. All it is is you lot posting spammy comments about how you should not have been infracted and it's all so unfair. Where in most of your cases I agree with the infraction tbh.

I also couldn't see an FM forum?

The free forum platform is ideal to be starting out on for me.

1) I get support with technical issues that I wouldn't know how to solve.

2) As I said, it's starting out so would be foolish of me to part with cash of something isn't worth keeping up.

3) I have the option of purchasing the domain and not having it hosted by someone else at a later date.

Downloads are being looked into but it is a massive learning curve for me to do really, but I'm learning as I go.

I see nobody mentioned the forum ideas thread, where I'm looking for input from anyone to give me ideas to push it forward.

Topics are not strictly followed yet, it's not busy enough so it would be foolish to try to stifle conversation if it deviates from the topic just yet. Once/if it gets busier then sure, but aside from a few threads, the off topicness is something I am happy with.

As I mentioned when speaking to one of the staff at this site; There's nothing wrong with free forums, but you'd be better off using a decent one, rather than one that looks like an Obese ******.

http://www.novaboard.net/ - Was originally created by Caleyjag whom I'm sure you all know as a moderator on the SI Forums and a generally top bloke on the scene. not his anymore, but it's by far the best Free software around, looks really professional, has friendly support forums and is very easy to use as an admin or Moderator.

Good luck with the site.

Look lads, it's my first attempt at it. i know next to bugger all about skinning. I gave it my best shot. It would be nice if you could suggest improvements rather than just knocking it.

Rather than saying poor layout, why not suggest how I can improve it?

For a forum, what exactly can be done in ways of suggesting improvements?

A forum is a forum. So design IS going to play it's part really.

Other than that you need to work out what the aim of your site is. Don't start off believing that you can offer everyting at the start, as that's impossible. Instead scale it back and work out what your interest in the game is. Do you enjoy fiddling with tactics? Or are you pretty good at finding amazing players (without editors)? Or perhaps you like skinning the game?

You need to work out what area you enjoy the most, and discuss that on your forum. You'll find it's easier to get enthusiastic for your site when you talk about things you WANT to talk about.

Also, your staff team need to share this enthusiasm and have a similar interest in the game. If you like tactics, make sure your staff team likes discussing it for example.

When you do this, and start posting up some interesting topics you'll find that people will take notice.

At the moment however, you're facing an uphill struggle to get attention as you're nothing more than a general FM forum, swimming with all the other general FM forums :)

Yeah, thanks for offering some advice :)

It's more the skinning and design issue of the forum itself that I'm struggling with. I spent weeks (only a bit at a time as I have a full time job aswell) trying to get the layout to something like it is now but I'm still not happy with it. There are tons of pre made skins that are great but I had to sacrifice them in order to get a decent header as I couldn't work out how to apply them.

With a bit more understanding of it then maybe I can progress. At the moment, CSS may aswell be Russian such is my undestanding of it although it has improved. :)

• 4 weeks later...

Archived