FM 2008 : Tottenham Hotspur - Home of The Spurs

Azeryk-

Originally posted by knap:

Azeryk

Who did you sign?

After testing various tactics on Demo, 442 is most solid, diamond is useful especially with VDV. DCs work well with manmarking and I tend to use a few notches down on passing up for tempo and defensive line. I also use playmakers and target men running onto ball, and at corners use a good long shot expert to stand outside box.

Have you seen this http://community.sigames.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/82219617/m/9312034453

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yep pretty much!

ALthough overall i love the negotiations on this game. Clubs offer part exchanges based on players im actually interested in. I brought campbell back in a trade for defoe and 6m off pompey (over 24 months of course!)

I've made about 80m in the first transfer window - i'll get my team up at lunchtime!

haha!

I'm in the top four at the moment so all is forgiven!

My team is:

GK - Akinfeev (24m)

DL - Bale

DC - Samba (From Blackburn 800k)

DC - Campbell

DR - Hutton (From Rangers 5.5m)

DMC - Banega (From Boca 2.5m)

ML - Aaritalo (250k) or Capel (on loan

MR - Menez (From Monaco 11m)

AMC - Boateng

FC - Huntelaar (12m) or Bent

FC - Berbs

I've got a few stars on the way - like aaron from valencia next yr - so future looks bright!

Originally posted by xpearsy:

haha!

My team is:

GK - Akinfeev (24m)

DL - Bale

DC - Campbell

AMC - Boateng

FC - Berbs

I've got a few stars on the way - like aaron from valencia next yr - so future looks bright!

Did you resign Arsol??!

Originally posted by xpearsy:

haha!

My team is:

GK - Akinfeev (24m)

DL - Bale

DC - Campbell

AMC - Boateng

FC - Berbs

Aaron Niquez looks absolute class, did fantastic in FM2007 and should be better in this version. I won't get him, after 12 seasons of him in FM2007 I want new faces icon_razz.gif

When you adjust to title contenders you get £22m and 850k in wages!

I thought it would be silly to predict anything higher...and you don't get that much more anyway!

Have a look at the juventus youngsters - they're all on loan at the moment but you can buy now ready for season 2 and my oh my...giovinco, criscito & melash...(on loan at empoli cant remember the spelling he's an MC)

Pearsy

Finally, my transfers thus far:

In:

Akinfeev - CSKA Moscow - £16M

van der Vaart - HSV - £11M

Breno - Sao Paulo - £6.75M

Sergio Mota - Sao Paulo - £3.5M

Woods - Chelsea - £3M

Banega - Boca - £2.3M

Lehtovaara - Turun Palloseura - £30K

Corradini - Parma - £20K

Ignashevich - CSKA Moscow - Free

All players looking good so far as expected, Woods is doing well especially as he is only 17 (and Englishicon_smile.gif) so hoping hes one for the future England teams. The two cheap players are both young goalies touted as being as good as Akinfeev will icon_wink.gif

Out:

Defoe - Portsmouth - £7.5M

Jenas - Portsmouth - £5M

Chimbonda - Newcastle - £4.5M

Robinson - Blackburn - £3M

Zokora - Livorno - £3M

Young-Pyo - Udinese - £1.2M

Tainio - Birmingham - £1M

Assou-Ekotto - Getafe - £950K

Ghaly - Sunderland - 3600K

Sold everyone I could basically, still some dead wood in the reserves, never liked Jenas so had to get rid of him icon_razz.gif

Future In:

Lulinha - Corinthians - £2.6M (Start of Season 2)

Trecarichi - Sevilla - £1M (Start of Season 3)

Asulin - Barcelona - £1M (Started of Season 3)

Sosnin - Zenit Peterburg - £750K (Three Weeks)

Basically all players are turning up when they turn 18 and all are expected to do very well in a few seasons. Trecarichi looks amazing already icon_biggrin.gif

Just had the Levy problem of accepting bids over your head....Chimboda to Palermo for £10....not really a big lose...but before at the start of the January transfer window I had a lot of clubs equiring after players (King/Lennon/Dawson/Malbranque) but I rejected their request straight away rather than veiw offer then reject and Levy did nothing.

This might be away of not losing players you don't want to.....anybody else tried this....??

I've just had the same problem with levy, I'm intent on keeping Berba at the club, we're doing quite well and he hasn't asked for a transfer, and I've just offered him a new contract after I found Barcelona sniffing about, now Barca have come in and offered £30million, I was ready to turn it down as he's my star player along with van Der Vaart, but Levy has gone and accepted it.

How do you guys play against Chelsea? Just got totally outclassed by them at home 2nd match of the season.

Im playing a diamond 4-1-2-1-2 counter attacking, quick tempo, direct tactic with a taget man right side (Berbatov). Focus play is mixed. Had good results in the demo. Morale is high. I decide to close down Essien always 'cos of scout report mentioning him as a dangerous player.

They win 2-1 but I'm totally outplayed, they have 23 shots, I have 8. They've 66% possesion, I've 34. I've 0!! % crosses made!!I trail 0-2 at the break, go more attacking on player instructions in 2nd half but not much of an improvement, altho' I do get a goal when Defoe outruns Terry. In the first half I had set target man to head, which I changed to run onto ball as it said Chelsea were winning ev'thing in the air. The weather was a downpur and still it seemed to me that Chelsea were able to play the ball around all match.

How is this possible and what should've I done to match them?

Originally posted by DJMorris:

I've just had the same problem with levy, I'm intent on keeping Berba at the club, we're doing quite well and he hasn't asked for a transfer, and I've just offered him a new contract after I found Barcelona sniffing about, now Barca have come in and offered £30million, I was ready to turn it down as he's my star player along with van Der Vaart, but Levy has gone and accepted it.

In real life if anyone offered 30m for Berbatov, I assure you Levy would accept.

The beta patch doesn't contain any data changes but fringe & reserve players can be sold for more money (they've probably tweaked it too far the other way now).

That's why it's only a Beta patch.

Hopefully my adjustments to the club balance will stop Levy accepting all these offers but we'll have to wait for that.

However I haven't had a problem with this.

Whenever a team enquires or bids for one of my players that I dont want to sell I never turn down the offer but always negotiate to a crazy figure & I haven't lost anyone yet nor has any player become unhappy.

In fact I've rarely found a problem in past games either, even if a player does become unhappy & requests a transfer, I just refuse & keep playing him.

If he does the business on the pitch (which they invariably do) I could care less if he's unhappy.

I remember on FM2006 I had Stephen Kelly constantly unhappy & asking for transfers for 5 seasons but I wanted to keep him as he was good rotation & also helped with my Tottenham trained quota for Europe.

He did the business whenever picked, the rest is his problem.

Originally posted by Sanityfm:

First time spurs manager here, i just want to know which players are just plain useless in the team and where i need strengthening at. I'm starting with the original team

The same as real life mate, you need a DMC, a DC & a LM.

Originally posted by Sanityfm:

First time spurs manager here, i just want to know which players are just plain useless in the team and where i need strengthening at. I'm starting with the original team

In my current Spurs game i have success with Nigel De Jong as a DMC. I got him from HZV for about 5 million.

Along with him i also bought VDV from HSV for about 8 million with clauses, though he takes a few more games to settle than De Jong he is well worth it, just for his free kicks and long shots only.

I also picked up Jan Kronkramp from PSV for about 5 million as my DR and also Diego Placente from Celta Vigo as my DL for about 4 million.

These signings have proved to be very useful as we are currently sitting 6th in November and have the second best defensive record at the moment only conceding 11 goals, however i am struggling to put the ball in the net, but i think that is more to do with still not getting the tactic right yet.

Hope this helps

How well do Breno, Banego perform?

Thinking of making an offer for Samba at blackburn but not now after he scored against us on Sunday grrrr lol

Also regarding my previous post abouth high price for reserve/youngsters, when the season starts after pre-season their prices drop down to how they were before ie: £150k - £450k and there easier to get rid off.

Originally posted by mattyspurs76:

How well do Breno, Banego perform?

Thinking of making an offer for Samba at blackburn but not now after he scored against us on Sunday grrrr lol

Also regarding my previous post abouth high price for reserve/youngsters, when the season starts after pre-season their prices drop down to how they were before ie: £150k - £450k and there easier to get rid off.

I've nto had Breno long but he's doing as well as King and Dawson despite being of a far younger age - deffo a great player for the future.

Banega is more annoying, he's blatently going to be amazing but he's not impressed (yet). Michael Woods at just 17 is keeping him out of more first team action.

Originally posted by paulinho:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Hootieman:

hrm

Is Aureli that good? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Signed him from the start and loaned him out. Just startet using him in the 4 season. Not impressed so far.

But Bojan is a killer. Loaned him in seacond and third season and signed him for 18 mil after third season finished.

After seacond season he got Spurs as fav club and me as fav personel. icon14.gif

Chaps, any major differences with using the Beta Patch compared to the out-the-box version?

I'm back home on Saturday so will kick my game off again. Wondering if my 'tactic' is affected in any ways.

Reading the main forum, some people suggest the patch changes the match engine for the worst.

Any feedback?

Has anyone had a problem with upgrading the stadium? At the end of the first season the board agreed to a rise to 44,000 which was then completed in October of the second season...a couple a weeks after completion i looked at the club information and the stadium capacity had gone back to the orginal figure...checked attendances and after the first couple of games at 41,897 etc...it dropped to 34,000ish and never came back up again? Anyone else had this?

Urban, Ive just re-installed the game and patch last night and added facepacks/logo's/kits and played 4-5 pre season games.

Used 2-3 tactics that i have found in these forums and they work great, ive noticed im getting alot more shots on target than before the patch.

The patch as supposed to have sorted the closing down bug but i havnt noticed as i dont use that in my tactics.

Originally posted by Greg09:

Has anyone had a problem with upgrading the stadium? At the end of the first season the board agreed to a rise to 44,000 which was then completed in October of the second season...a couple a weeks after completion i looked at the club information and the stadium capacity had gone back to the orginal figure...checked attendances and after the first couple of games at 41,897 etc...it dropped to 34,000ish and never came back up again? Anyone else had this?

ye

hi guys

just started my first season with spurs, havn't got rid of anyone yet, kept my four strikers and using them in rotation for the four competitions. i got in edu brazilian winger to cover both flanks and hedwiges maduro, 22yrs from holland. Brillant player waiting for the second season before i clear out the rubbish players. Tactics are standard 4-4-2. with passing short and tempo quick. currently second in the league. Aiming for a euro spot and a cup. I'll try kabollu (the french bloke) in the dm postion, huddlestone and zokora have been performing admirable so far though.a few peoeple will be departing in january, thougg, routledge maybe and rocha most certainly.

Everyone's after chimbonda but i've kept him so far, strugled to attract any big names or 5/6 star players, but happy with my squad and this should change a good season and hopefully soem silver wear.

Im yet tio play a competitive match but so far so well. Won all my friendlys by a nice margin and brought in some awesome players.

Players in:

Diego £20M

Ignashevich Free

Harry Kewell £1.8M

For now that will do as I dont want to mix the team up too much. Ive stuck with my 4 attackers also as they are capable. Here is my starting 11 once all injurys are overcome:

GK: Robinson

DR: Chimbonda

DL: Bale

DC: Ignashevich

DC: King

MR: Lennon

MC: Jenas

ML: Kewell

AMC: Diego

FC: Berbatov/Bent

FC: Defoe/Keane

Ill keep you all updated xD

Jake

Originally posted by Hootieman:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Greg09:

ye </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Has this been reported the Bugs forum??

Ive started a Spurs game.

Ins

Downing £15m

Fernandez £7.5m

Hunterlaar £11m

Alex £250k (Coming in Jan)

Lulinha 250k (Coming in June)

Billy Jones £50k (In Jan)

Samba £1m

Outs

Keane £7.5m

Berbatov £8.75m (Going in January)

Malbranque £5M (Going in Jan)

Starting XI

GK Robinson

LB Bale

RB Chimbonda

CB King

CB Samba

CDM Zokora

CAM Fernandez

LW Downing

RW Lennon

ST Hunterlaar

ST Defoe

Top scorers

Defoe 15 goals in 18 games.

Hunterlaar 6 goals in 11 games.

Fernandez 8 goals in 19 games.

Premiership Position

13 games gone im 2nd 2 points off Chavski

Euro Cup

In groups played 2 and im top with 4 points.

League Cup

Quarters coming up against City soon.

FA Cup

hasnt started.

Best player so far.

Fernandez

Its going great Lennon is attracting massive attention and has turned into a

WONDERKID!

Which is great

Im still 2nd

Im in the League cup semis

Im in the knockout of the Uefa

and still aint played the FA

Ive gone 20 games unbeaten in all comps and a 11 game winning streak in the prem.

Originally posted by clonabanjo:

Its going great Lennon is attracting massive attention and has turned into a

WONDERKID!

Which is great

Im still 2nd

Im in the League cup semis

Im in the knockout of the Uefa

and still aint played the FA

Ive gone 20 games unbeaten in all comps and a 11 game winning streak in the prem.

First of all im now feeling even worse as im having a nightmare with Spurs icon_rolleyes.gif

Second icon_eek.gif you sold Berba and Keane blimey most people keep them and get rid of the others but you obviously made the right choice although is that all you got for Berba.

haven't used the beta version yet Urban.

I've been using your tactic and I've been going well. Got knocked out of both domestic cups though at the first attempt.

Only a couple of concerns, I'm 5th (had a poor start before I started using your tactic) and I'm now in january so wary of the AI cracking the tactic. Any advice here rotating it with something else?

Also, seems that most teams I play against end up with the majority of the ball even though I'm creating the most chances. It's ok when your winning, but any advice to improve my possesion rates?

I must say Malbranque has been my best player so far, Jenas also is very good. Kaboul is brilliant in the DMC spot too.

Thats the exact issue I have. Possession, especially in my own area, is dominated by the opposition, even though I win games.

Also, lost 3 on the spin in the Prem (Everton away, Utd at home, Chelsea away) - having had a splendid run in the league, I'm now 4th. Will aim to remain there.

Won the league cup, still in with a shout in Europe and the FA Cup.

Seems that I will either have to adapt the tactic, or possibly look to create a variation.

Yes, I would say in most cases the oppostion have on average 55-60% of the ball. Just played up at Boro' and like in real life it was 1-1, surprisngly I had 56% of the ball though!

I'm not sure what can be changed to incerase the amount of time on the ball? Not sure a drastic change is needed to be honest?

Outs

Steed - 4.2m

Chimbonda - 7m

In

Van Der Vaart - 11.25

Ismael Aissati - 9.75m

Future Ins

Mika Aaritalo - 350k - January

Ever Banega - 3.5 - January

Breno - 1.2m - January

Lulinha - 1m - January

I signed this scout called Borba Filho from a Brazilian team and he scouted S America and found all those stars Im signing.

Currently playing a diamond with 2 wingers, closing down, width, short passing, high tempo.

5th at end of Nov, VDV is the don with 10 goals and 8 assists and 5 mom in only 14 games

Won first 2 uefa cup games in group, knocked out of league cup.

Just need to get a new rb now and I should be ok hopefully. Aissaiti and Tarabaat doing really well as is Boateng.

Still got plenty of fringe players to sell and have 7m.

having had an enjoyable and successful Spurs game in FM07 i've decided to try my hand with them again in FM08.

Squad

Transfers

currently sitting 8th in the league, had a average start to the season, capped off with a 4-0 loss to Liverpool at home icon_frown.gif nonetheless things have looked up recently and form has been pretty good. Bent is top goalscorer for me, and in the league atm, plays upfront along side Berbatov who started off poorly, i criticised him in the media, and he's been doing well since. VDV has been my best player and is very consistent, pity he can't score from a free-kick to save to life, yet everyone says he's a free-kick god. Bale has been pretty good, scored from a free-kick too. Menez i was dissappointed with for a while, but he's starting to better after a small alteration to his instructions. de Jong is solid, wish he didn't get so many yellows (reached yellow card limit, thus the reason for the suspenion icon next to his name in the squad screenshot). out of the league cup, won all the group matches in euro cup

Morning All,

After tryin' my hand with the UJ formation/tactics, I have to say things at WHL are looking good.

Like many I have brought in young Matiz for the left wing, a GREAT purchase imo. Really should be brought. With Prince and Kaboul both playin' fantastic.

Ended the season in 6th polace, but a four month injury to Berbs kinda hurt me. But bent did step in and bag 16Goal.s Keane was looking dangerous on the right and him and AL swapped in and out.

Highlight was beating FC Bayern in the EURO Cup on Pens. 1-1 After 120Mins and young Alex [18 Y/0 Brazillian] Scored the winner for me to clinch the Trophy.

Just ending the season now and very much looking forward to what I can achieve in season two. May look towards VD but jenas has been really rather good thus far. Lost out to him due to Barca having a FAR better wage package but together.

Dave.

Archived