FM 2008 : Tottenham Hotspur - Home of The Spurs

Azeryk-

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When messing around I offered Bent around for £15M and got 1 bid back, from Reading, for £8.5M - which would be better than nothing I surpose.

Am tempting to try that 2.3.2.2.1 formation, or make my own, I just hate that side of the game icon_frown.gif

Akinfeev is good, better than Robinson in game.

Finished 3rd with this tactic lost 5 times, against MU (no surprise), Reading? Man city (tight in middle) Portsmouth and Liverpool.

Results improved with normal mentality. Akinfeev had a poor season and when injured Robbo kept 6 clean sheets. With FM07 I understand Akinfeev performance could be variable depending on game so maybe same on FM08.

Berbs without tight marking scored 13

Diamond appears a better tactic against Liverpool Arsenal and Chelsea.

Switching formations and using DM and AM may be better than individual instructions.

Originally posted by knap:

Urbanjunkie

Levy sold Hudds for 4.2m and this aspect of FMO8 is annoying.

I think this is caused by the balance money being too low in the demo.

It should be fixed with the patch.

I imagine the 1st patch will come quite soon after release.

Data issues Please report any strangeness or innacuracy of the data or discuss diffrences of opinion in your games here in the Spurs data issues thread.

Spurs Data issues thread

Thanks to everyone who contributes.

The opposition play in certain styles. I find in the first game against Newcastle if you do not use a DM or a barrow on MC then their AMC creates a lot of chances. If you use a DM they often change to 41221. However in your tactic the DM also has a free role which provides an interesting twist.

If an AMC with two Fwds are employed (Diamond 442)against Arsenal and Liverpool, perhaps if they do not use a DM then they suffer with their 2 CBs taking on 3 Fwds.

Though i am struggling with finding tactics that work well with Spurs at the moment, but i am hopefully i will resolve this before the patch, if not i just wwfan releases a workable set.

Anyway, if anybody else is trying to resolve the left hand side issue then i had success in selling Defoe to Portsmouth for a million and asking for Kranjcar in exchange and they accepted this offer as he does.

Sadly, though i have yet to use him, as he arrived injured.

Hope this helps.

On what you've said about DMs and AMs...

...has anyone tried a standard 4-4-2 except with 1 MC barrowing to the DMC and 1 MC farrowing to the AMC - in an attempt to use these positions without giving away too much space elsewhere on the pitch?

I played this

--------------Berbatov--------Defoe

Diego Capel-------------------------------Lennon

---------------------Boateng/Modric------

----------------------Kaboul/Madure--------

--Lee-----Dawson-------King---------------Pascal

--------------------Robbo

I have an arrow going forward for Boateng/Modric but only as far so its level with the wingers. You need to play a very combative creative midfielder here with good stamina. Then the dm is little creative freedom, stay back, defensive mentality. Full bakcs get forward and need to be very fit. Wingers need to be very creative as well as quick. Striker, 1 drops of and 1 with pace.

Fiddle around a bit. I'm 3rd in the league like that at the moment in december.

Currently 11th with a game in hand in mid-october.. . Spurs seem (accurately) to struggle in 2008. Playing a standard 4-4-2 away, and then a diamond for home games. Perhaps it'll just take time for the players to settle and Dawson / King to get back to match fitness.

Signed:

van der Vaart (£11m)

Aaritalo (£40k - WONDERKID from Turun Palloseura)

Per Wierauch (£75k)

de Jong (£7m)

Aissati (£6m)

Zeefuik (£1.3m)

Out:

3 reserves (£785k)

Chimbonda (£12m - Aston Villa)

Anyone got an opinion of Philip Ifil? Was attracting a lot of interest early on, eventually went on a loan to Leyton Orient.

What experience does anyone have with playing Bale as a left midfielder?

In FM07 I played bale 1st season and even at a year younger played better than in the Demo,and on few occasions played at LM OK performance certainly not as good as IRL.

has anyone tried a standard 4-4-2 except with 1 MC barrowing to the DMC and 1 MC farrowing to the AMC

It's useful if AI switch during game but cannot recollect AI using this formation. I prefer to change to a formation with DM.

AI does not often use this tactic, and if using an AMC you need a player suited to his position, VDV fits the bill. If VDV is in team try a wide diamond and the revert to normal 442 later in match.

Have been messing around with tactics and ended up with a 2-3-2-1-2 formation thats done quite well in terms of shots/shots on targets and possession. I just need to mess around with instructions to get the right balance. It just looks odd seeing an unusual formation when I've used the standard 4-4-2 for so long.

Am looking for someone to fill the AMC role from the start, Van Der Vaart looks good but so does Matias Fernandez and their roughly the same price. - Any advise on the two of them.

Only tried VDV. very consistent and not injury prone.

My testing is using Team defensive quick cd often and tight marking, taken off for AM and STs. Narrow away to Wigan. If need a bit extra add quick by a couple of notches and passing from mixed add farrows on wingers.

Using wide diamond

MU 1-1

Chelsea 1-1

Liverpool A Won 2-0

Arsenal Away won 4-2

For some reason Robbo decided to come up for corner laate in game, which I thought only happened on all out attack.

I prefer the flat back 4 and will probably stay with 442 and use diamond for certain games.

started a game saying i was going to challenge for the title.

Signed:

Hedwiges Maduro - 6.5m*

Ignashevic - free

Van der Vaart - 11.5m*

Luka Modric 4m*

Sold:

Jenas - 5m, man city

Ghaly - 1m, derby

Ifill - 500k sheff utd

going to use a 4-1-3-2 that worked well for me on 07. This is what my best lineup would hopefully be.

Robbo

Chombonda Dawson King Bale

Maduro

Lennon Van der Vaart Modric

Berbatov Defoe

The team can easily be adapted for away games by playing zokora or hudds in CM and not letting my fullbacks go forward too much. Going to use Defoe or Bent as target men( run on to ball).

Drew my first game 3-3 away at newcastle, after being 3-1 down with robbo getting MOM. Need Dawson and King back!

Which striker has everyone been selling to buy more players? I was going to use Defoe but he done well for my in the demo and am more reluctant now.

Still not happy with the formation, can't seem to find one that suits my style of play and does well.

Originally posted by Azeryk-:

Which striker has everyone been selling to buy more players? I was going to use Defoe but he done well for my in the demo and am more reluctant now.

Still not happy with the formation, can't seem to find one that suits my style of play and does well.

have u tried this

i´m triyng it now and its ok

wots happening!!! i can't get my team 2 play even the simplist football. never had a team let in as many goals n constantly give the ball away. my players dwell on the ball 2 long n they don't either close down or tackle even though i have set instructions 2 do so. thought maybe it wos cos they weren't good enough so i tried with barca n found i had exactly the same problems. it could i suppose b dodgy tactics but i have been using the same with my 07, 06, n 05 so i can't explain why my players simply don. know how 2 carry out my instructions. i'm at a loss ... please helP !!!

Closing down does not appear to working as it should

As FM08 is highlighting pitch size etc, I'm working on the basis that the formation must deny space to the opposition but find space going forward, and its better to change formations to suit.

I've started to slow tempo and add some creative freedom and the results have been good.

Originally posted by Toffeedane:

Im sorry for saying this paulinho but i dont understand why you keep posting the players PA ?

I mean people can use there editor if they realy wanna know . I dont wanna know it ruins the fun IMO .

I only replied to question from another poster that the PA was -9 (still could be anything between 150-180 in your game).

It's not exactly giving away much is it?

I only replied to question from another poster that the PA was -9 (still could be anything between 150-180 in your game).

It's not exactly giving away much is it?

ok fair enough i just remember you wrote almost ewery spurs players PA in the 2007 thread , please dont do that again I dont wanna know it and im sure other gamers have it like me .

Im not having a go at you or anything , you put alot of good and helpfull tips ok icon_smile.gif

When I've tried to sell Bent in a mess around I only got a £5.5M bid from Reading which isn't much. I think Defoe is the best striker to sell for money but he seems to play quite well in the demo. He was my top scorer in my main trial and when I've sold him he's also done quite well.

Originally posted by stigsolo:

wots happening!!! i can't get my team 2 play even the simplist football. never had a team let in as many goals n constantly give the ball away. my players dwell on the ball 2 long n they don't either close down or tackle even though i have set instructions 2 do so. thought maybe it wos cos they weren't good enough so i tried with barca n found i had exactly the same problems. it could i suppose b dodgy tactics but i have been using the same with my 07, 06, n 05 so i can't explain why my players simply don. know how 2 carry out my instructions. i'm at a loss ... please helP !!!

I found when i had players with Hold up Ball ticked they were constantly getting tackled as they just seemed to stop and not do anything.

So, by unticking the Hold up Ball option i have found that is no longer an issue, so give that a try.

Closing Down does work, but only when the opposition is in and around the Goal Mouth, so if you keep this option ticked, it should only take affect as previously described.

I have found you do need to play a bit narrower than previous versions, so maybe if you alter you width to the first notch of Wide or the last notch of Normal may help.

Also, it is key to remember the RoO rule by keeping your players within on notch of each other, e.g. MR/L 14 and ST 15, this way if you have your passing set to short they are closer together and less likely to give the ball away.

Hope this helps.

Originally posted by stuboy72:

Also, it is key to remember the RoO rule by keeping your players within on notch of each other, e.g. MR/L 14 and ST 15, this way if you have your passing set to short they are closer together and less likely to give the ball away.

Hope this helps.

Hm, is that rule really working? If yes, pls elaborate on it.

Morning all icon_smile.gif

New season for me. Here's my transfer dealings (all prior to opening game of season):

Victor Moses (Palace) £170K

Diego Capel (Sevilla) Loan

Mika Aaritalo (Turun Palloseura) £440K

Christopher Samba (Blackburn) £1.3M

Rafael van der Vaart (HSV) £11M

Sergy Ignashevich (CSKA) Free

David Mendes da Silva (AZ) £4.5M

Players out:

Chimbonda - £3.7M to Man City

I'm finding it near impossible to sell any of the following players:

Stalteri

Gardner

Rocha

Ghaly

Tainio

IRL, even though some of the above are nowhere near being 'quality', you still wouldn't have a problem getting rid of them.

Originally posted by Golden_Team:

guys

how look ratinho in fm08?

it was always my first signed in 07

sorry for english

He's on Loan at CSKA Moscow, along with Celsinho i thinks. Doesnt look as impressive as he used to be.

Why do lots of brazilans go to Russia anyways??

Just now i am thinking about bidding for Scott Brown, hoping he will have the potential to be as good as he will be IRL. Wacthed him at hampden against Ukraine last Satuarday He was immense

I haven`t got the real game yet, but have played the demo a few times. A player I bought to replace Pascal was Carlos Diogo from Zaragoza, pretty good RB and in my opinion a better RB than Pascal. He did cost a bit but he is worth it, I think he cost about 6 Million pounds. I also think that Hedwiges Maduro the DM from Ajax is a great buy, you can get him cheaper than normal.

I have to say that urbanjunkie's tactics ae simply fantastic. I have played four games with Spurs - 2 on the demo and 2 on the full game. And his tactics just work. Im sitting 2nd at Xmas losing only to Wigan and Liverpool, with a great goal difference of +15. I tried a 4-4-2 on the demo and was sacked before xmas, 3-5-2 finsihed 6th on demo.

But the 2-3-2-2-1 and to be honest any variation using the mentality and passing instructions work. I tried the exact same instructions (team/player) with a 4-1-1-2-2 and it worked a treat. Great tactic.

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Managing Spurs and so far my record is:

Tottenham 1 Newcastle 0

Portsmouth 5 Tottenham 0

Tottenham 0 Chelsea 1

Bolton 2 Tottenham 0

King,Dawson and Dervitte all CB's are injured before the season starts.

Rocha,Kaboul both CB's and Boateng get sent off in the Portsmouth game all within 15 mins.

Gardner my only remaining CB gets injured 5 mins into the Bolton game and Malbrangue gets sent off to.

So the record is:

Played 4

Won 1

Lost 3

Sent Off 4

Injured CB's 4

Banned CB's 2

Fit CB's 0

Any ive had about 5 goals disallowed all for offside.

Originally posted by Robs:

I have to say that urbanjunkie's tactics ae simply fantastic. I have played four games with Spurs - 2 on the demo and 2 on the full game. And his tactics just work. Im sitting 2nd at Xmas losing only to Wigan and Liverpool, with a great goal difference of +15. I tried a 4-4-2 on the demo and was sacked before xmas, 3-5-2 finsihed 6th on demo.

But the 2-3-2-2-1 and to be honest any variation using the mentality and passing instructions work. I tried the exact same instructions (team/player) with a 4-1-1-2-2 and it worked a treat. Great tactic.

Interesting, havent tried the 4-1-1-2-2 formation. Having two upfront could prove to be of interest. Might try this out. Nice one!

My results thus far this season:

W 2-0 H Newcastle

W 1-0 H Man City

L 1-0 A Liverpool

W 3-2 A Fulham

W 3-1 H Aston Villa

W 2-1 A Wigan

D 2-2 A M. Tel-Aviv (UEFA)

W 2-0 H West Ham

W 3-2 A Sunderland (Carling Cup)

W 3-1 A Reading

van der Vaart has yet to make the impact he had in the demo, where he was on fire from the minute he was signed. Once he clicks in my current game, I expect more goals.

That many sending offs is unlucky athough Boetang is prone to being sent off. I often play with hard tacking and sending offs are not an issue.

At start of season the cover for King and Dawson is weak so buy at least 1 CB (Samba highly recommended).

442 appears to be a weak tactic as the key positions are ANC and DM, well sorted at DM Kaboul and Hudds, but AMC and LM AML are weak.

Disallowed goals are an unfortunate feature of FM08, as well as offside goals given, GKs with unusual behavour.

Cheers Paulinho but do I have to pay a subscription or a donation and which one do I download and is it easy bearing in mind I'm an old man and this computer lark is still quite new to me

Originally posted by paulinho:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by paul 1300:

Does anybody Know where to get the prem logos face packs kits and graphics etc

Sort it out si

http://www.sortitoutsi.net/index.php?page=downloads&area=gfx&game=fm2008 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Betis

The Rule of One is based on the guides in the FM07 instruction book.

Defensive line - tied to team mentality

Team mentality - Balanced across team.

Defensive line should be within similar range of mentalities.

As long as FM08 Guide is same, then rule of One should work as a basis of setting individual player instructions.

Finished 3rd winning the FA cup and Carling cup. Tinkered with Urbanjunkie's tactics every now and again but not much. They simply work. berba comes really strong in the second half of the season. I got spanked 4-1 on agg in Uefa, but that was more down to my teamtalk I think.

lol still alittle in shock, best I did in the demo was 6th losing in both cups but keeping alive the Uefa cup dream.

In FM07 Defoe was far better than Keane, and I always played 442 - the 1st team was -Robbo, Chim,King,Dawson, Bale, Lennon, Lucus,Diego, Guardado, Berbs, Defoe.

Chim nearly always appeared more often than others in team of week and kept Ratinho and Borre out of side. However Rafinho could be tempting.

In FM08 - Front partnership will probably be out of Berbs, Owen, Bent, Defoe (may sell and try to buy Jo or Farfan as may be more adaptable to

3 up front

Berbs, Aaritalo, Modric.

Keane will probably not feature in the team going forward and if a good offer is made he's out.

If you can get Ashley Young I find hes amazing. Very quick and good recovery. Also if you have sold one of the fantastic four (Levy sold Deofe from me) he can be used great as a striker as well as on the wings. Tough to get, espeically during the season. But Villa were relegated in my game, and he had been unsettled all season.

just started a new season and have spent big money after telling the board I can win the league

IN

Ignashevich (free)

van der Vaart (12m)

de Jong (7.5m)

Menez (12m)

Maduro(4m)

Farfan (6.75m)

Out

Defoe (7m)

Bent (6m +50%next sale)

Chimbo (5m)

I'm now 14.9 mil in the red but playing class with urbanjunkies 23221 formation here's my starting line up

GK Robbo

CB Kaboul

CB Ignashevich

RWB Dejong

DCM Maduro

LWB Bale

CM vanderVaart

CM Boateng

RF Farfan

LF Menez

ST Berbatov

Waiting for all the injuries to clear up like King, Daws, and Lennon but well pleased with that line up and feel I can win the league in my first season. I want Rafinha but I don't have the moula right now.

Archived