Poor chance conversion rate/ super keepers

I dominate the match for possession, chances created, clear cut chances, practically everything. The result? A 2-1 loss. Again. I replay the match as I dont really think thats cheating in situations like this. Again, I dominate the game. Again, I fail to win, this time because of our old friend Gomes the super keeper. Im glad I dont do one of those FM stories, because it wouldnt make a good read. Every 3 or 4 games there would just be me complaining about being ****ed over by the match engine yet again. I have spent hours of my life browsing these forums looking for a way to get around this absurd gameplay mechanic, I have been all the way through the Tactics Bible and TT&F, and that can only get you so far. Namely dominating games, creating chances and controlling possession. However, no matter what I do to my tactics, I cant make my strikers more accurate and I have to sit here watching my players miss chances that I myself could score blindfolded. Thats not an exaggeration by the way, according to this game I would be a more prolific striker than Wayne Rooney. At least I have the sense not to try and blast the ball at the keeper time and time again, no matter what the situation. Its getting to the point where even rebounds are smashed against him when there is a practically open goal and the keeper is on the floor without a hope. Maddening.

I think this is an issue with the ME which should be addressed in the next patch. There are too many one on one situations which almost never lead to a goal. I have not once seen a striker trying to dribble around the keeper as they often do irl. Instead they always shoot it straight at the keeper. That's a bit annoying

I'm a new player to FM10 and i have played on 10.1 for a week. it was great, i was scoring plenty (once 9-0 :D) but now with 10.2 the striker hits it straight at the keeper and he saves it. it's kind of annoying as Juventus are running away with the league now as they havent lost one match, and I was expected to win the league this season :(

i am sick of people and this subject of keepers i am top of the league and have to fight hard for every victory

have played 38 games so far in this season cups etc and in 32 out of the 38 the goalkeepers have got ratings of 7 plus or mom pulling off saves like there was three keepers enough is enough when can we expect this to be sorted how many more threads are needed how many more fans of the game disappointed we have heard it all its your tactic i am winning but i hate getting conned by this in semi finals finals etc

I must admit even though I am regularly winning, its the pesty draws or 1-0 defeats when really I should have been out of sight but my CF has decided to do his best Stevie Wonder impression in front of goal, and it wouldn't be that bad but the other striker thinks he's Ray Charles.

(Its also getting very tedious to see every rebound drop at an opponents feet.)

However one little thing that I have discovered and which works for me at least is Instructing one of my CF's to shoot with power in the PPM's. I don't bother with round the keeper, or Lob, as they seem to never do it. But I have Viatri playing up top for me and his stats are average, yet he bang them in and lots from the head on 1 on 1. Might be worth a try.

I must admit even though I am regularly winning, its the pesty draws or 1-0 defeats when really I should have been out of sight but my CF has decided to do his best Stevie Wonder impression in front of goal, and it wouldn't be that bad but the other striker thinks he's Ray Charles.

(Its also getting very tedious to see every rebound drop at an opponents feet.)

However one little thing that I have discovered and which works for me at least is Instructing one of my CF's to shoot with power in the PPM's. I don't bother with round the keeper, or Lob, as they seem to never do it. But I have Viatri playing up top for me and his stats are average, yet he bang them in and lots from the head on 1 on 1. Might be worth a try.

You must see a good percentage of games in reverse though, where the AI has lots but doesn't score and you do?

Not too much really, well not at the same rate at least, I mean I probably score just as many or just a couple less of my first chances as the Ai does. Saying that I am somewhat gung ho in my style, so tend to create a lot of chances, and my tam is excllent for my league. Don't get me wrong I love the game, its highly addictive and for the most part entertaining, but a couple of little things in the ME are a bit, well....grrrr you know. I think part of it is down to expectation, we all watch lots of football, well I certainly do, and know what we want too see happen, or should happen, and what may happen in a real football match. Perhaps the ME just isn't quite there yet in getting it across, its close though very close.

Not too much really, well not at the same rate at least, I mean I probably score just as many or just a couple less of my first chances as the Ai does. Saying that I am somewhat gung ho in my style, so tend to create a lot of chances, and my tam is excllent for my league. Don't get me wrong I love the game, its highly addictive and for the most part entertaining, but a couple of little things in the ME are a bit, well....grrrr you know. I think part of it is down to expectation, we all watch lots of football, well I certainly do, and know what we want too see happen, or should happen, and what may happen in a real football match. Perhaps the ME just isn't quite there yet in getting it across, its close though very close.

That's cool, its just in my own games id say its about 50-50 and can show loads of PKM's or screenshots :)

Obviously though like you said the more you create the higher the miss % will be.

I just played at Arsenal in the CL (as Rangers). 9 CCCs compared to their 1 (+61% possession). Final score 2-2.

Is it same players missing the CCC's?

Well I just did a little test on my Boca save, looking at a season (19 games in Argentina) I had 334 shots on goal of which 169 were on target of which 62 were CCC's and I scored 43. The opposition had 126 shots at goal, of which 36 were on target, if which 21 were CCC's and they scored 14.

Dunno seems they may have a slight edge in taking their chances, but only very slightly.

i'm starting to see the superkeeper as the solution to the massive amounts of chances created every game. if people expect for SI to fix the superkeeper bug, then they will have to fix the amount of chances created as well

This is it.....

It's more about the volume of CCC created in my opinion, rather than shouting for a keeper fix maybe its better to think about the other issues that cause this. The 10.2 patch has seen a huge rise in CCC for me, but only after i had to change tactics after my lovely 4-1-2-2-1 refused to work after the patch as my strikers refused to score. I now play with van Persie and Balotelli in a 4-1-2-1-2 (chelsea style) and average roughly 6 or 7 CCC per game, most of which involve my strikers running right at the keeper and shooting right at him.

I have had multiple saves, with different formations/strikers and its always the same, lots and lots of chances, which in reality should mean me scoring 5 goals a game, which obviously is something that would be rather silly.

As i have said in a previous thread, the fix needed is something to tone down the number of chances created, but with players converting more of the CCC, because lets be honest...you don't see Torres/Drogba/van Persie clean through on goal 5 times a game and missing them like they are the new Voronin.

It's just very frustrating to watch great players miss so many times, but the ME or 'superkeepers' seems to have this happen to make sure the scores are kept down. I have scored 51 goals in 23 league games, which is a nice return, but theres games where i score 5 ( or even 8 ) then theres games where I get 9 CCC and miss them all, which is something that happens in football, but not as often as it seems to do in FM.

The new patch is going to be very interesting.

I am so god damn sick of this. It is beyond a joke. Just played Everton at Goodison. Some of the lovely stats for you: i had 30 shots, 14 on target. They had 6 shots, 4 on target. I had 5 clear cut chances. They had 0. I hit the post 4 times and had 57% of possession with a 77% for pass completion. Did I win? No, I lost 2-1 to their first two shots on goal. Their first goal was a header from a player with 6 heading. Their second was a 30 yarder from a player with 13 long shots. Now I am in no way saying that these players are incapable of doing this, but really? I am going to shoot 30 times and score once? Is that in any way at all fair? No, it damn well isnt. This is a cheap glitch that the programmers have purposely put in to cover up a flaw in the match engine. Much better now guys, well done. Instead of scoring 4 or 5 and winning with ease like what would happen in reality if a world class team created a bucket load of chances, I had to watch Tim Howard channel Neo from the Matrix for 90 minutes. What exactly were wrong with my tactics, Sports Interactive? Riddle me that. I controlled the game, connected with the vast majority of my passes and the only reason I didnt connect with many crosses was that you decided that 5'11 Phil Jagielka can outjump the 6 foot 4 Edin Dzeko every god damn time. I cant think of any other game that has ever patched a flaw in its programming with something so monstrously unfair. I keep having to come back and blast the game on this forum so I wont take out my anger in other, more violent ways. Instead of rewarding players for creating tactics that create chances and produce free flowing football, which is the main reason most people play the game, they have implemented a system that actively punishes a player for getting their strikers through on goal. If they made it too easy in the initial build of the game, that doesnt mean they should just cover it up by having you miss every good chance you get, as it affects the whole match engine. And its not even the good keepers who can punish you, either. In my experience, all a goalkeeper needs to be able to beat your team single handedly is a reflexes stat of 14 or more. NOTHING ELSE SEEMS TO MATTER. Tim Howard is a fairly average keeper with average to decent stats in the game. However, he is 6 foot 3 and has decent reflexes, agility and jumping. According to the match engine, that puts him level with the greatest keepers in history on absolute top form.

I dont mind it when I make the wrong tactical decisions, get outplayed and deserve to lose. I can live with a loss in a game that I have only slightly edged for possession or shots. But when I am sent crashing out of a competition by a distinctly average goalkeeper and one long shot or cheap penalty, I refuse to accept it, especially when it happens all the damn time. It has gotten to the point where I cant imagine not saving before every game to give myself the only protection I can against this absurd bug. I dont believe that is how the game is supposed to be played, but I genuinely feel that I dont have a choice, as this happens to me maybe once every month in game. Usually I can get a couple past the opposition goalkeeper; he's still incredibly difficult to beat at times, but if I win then I can ignore the fact that I should have scored several more goals in the match. But when the other team actually gets a win or a draw because theyre players seem to know not to shoot at the man standing in the goal wearing gloves, something that remains completely lost on my squad of world class morons, it is unfair, and unfair things generally annoy people. If this game was like Fifa or something, I could accept responsibility when I lost; MY finishing was poor and I didnt deserve to score. When it is a game like Football Manager, and you are only responsible for the way the team plays and their motivation and wellbeing, not what they actually do on the football pitch, you are not responsible for anything. You cannot make your strikers take more accurate shots, no matter what some people insist. You can adjust your tactics to exploit the match engines flaws and shortcomings, but that is missing the point of the game. You are supposed to be managing a football club, not outsmarting a machine and looking for ways around a glaring flaw that ensures your team doesnt get screwed over when they steamroller another team for 90 minutes. As I said before, maybe tactics that enable you to dominate a team for possession and chances created are too easy to make in this game. This is a valid point and in reality I certainly wouldnt expect to see Manchester United take 30 shots in an away game against Everton. So next time, why not fix the problem rather than attempt to conceal it in such a cheap manner that can suck all of the enjoyment out of the game?

One thing I've noticed (I know it seems stupid) if you have lots of chances in a match you tend to have a lot of stupid misses, and seems your players have all kind of stupid decisions, or the oppo keeper has 9.0/10.0 ratings... and frustration!!! You lose or draw in a totally unfair way!! On the other hand if you play a more conservative formation and strategy (like if your main concern was not to concede) your players effectiveness increases dramatically and score more!! Just made a test with MU for a few matches, playing a more conservative formation scores more and concedes less. And it seems like your strikers think their game a little better.

It may sound a little like a conspiracy theory, but I think this is the way the AI has to say to gamer: «DO NOT PLAY WITH SUPER TACTICS, OR WE WILL SEND GOMES OUT TO GET YOU!!!»

I feel your pain, I really really do. As for calling the tactics super tactics, thats a ridiculous notion. Since when was playing quick direct football a super tactic? It would seem that practically every formation with a control or attacking strategy is considered a super tactic in that case. The developers screwed up and programmed a match engine where too many chances were created. People complained that this was unrealistic, and so they opted to go with the far more realistic 10.2 patch which is infested with super keepers and dreadful finishing. Way to go Sports Interactive, 2-1 IS a more realistic result than 7-0. The actual way in which the match is played, where average goalkeepers prevent your world class strikers from scoring while crap players score from 30 yards, is total nonsense, but at least the result is realistic.

I feel your pain, I really really do. As for calling the tactics super tactics, thats a ridiculous notion. Since when was playing quick direct football a super tactic? It would seem that practically every formation with a control or attacking strategy is considered a super tactic in that case. The developers screwed up and programmed a match engine where too many chances were created. People complained that this was unrealistic, and so they opted to go with the far more realistic 10.2 patch which is infested with super keepers and dreadful finishing. Way to go Sports Interactive, 2-1 IS a more realistic result than 7-0. The actual way in which the match is played, where average goalkeepers prevent your world class strikers from scoring while crap players score from 30 yards, is total nonsense, but at least the result is realistic.

I actually totally agree with you, the ME is a mess towards striker finishing and super keepers, but what I suggest, if you have a chance of loading back before your tie with Sevilla, and try to play both games with a more defensive aproach. You'll probably win easily!!

personally, i agree, even though i know that the developers wet themselves in anger if you say anything about superkeepers. i just played a game against tottenham as west ham, and i had to have had at least 10 shots on target, and each one of them was either smashed right at gomes or he pulled off an impossible save. they had maybe 2 or 3 shots on target. the game ended 2-0 in favor of tottenham. it just gets old after a while...

haha.. i was playing with team from l2 which i got promoted to l1 ( france ) against paris saint germen.. or wtf is actual name..

so yeh im expecting to get dominated.. but since i got like totally new squad.. home advantage.. im actually incontrol of the game.. in the end.. 17 shots for me.. 5 for them.. 4 on target.. they scored 3...

i lost 2 3.. ye.. i went and altf4.. i was cba. to loose like that

Wahey, yet more tripe from the ME... my two legged CL semi final, both matches below:

Overall... 11CCC to their 2CCC and I lose 2-1.

Well done SI.

This one is a shocker!

Never seen anything like this and irrespective of who was on the end of the chances, if it was regarded as a CCC, arguably at least half should have been converted.

Done some more testing and I'm pretty sure the ME «protects» defensive teams !! So play defensive ! It's amazing in my MU test save I'm getting results like 4-0's and 3-0's being generated by a more defensive formation (altough always playing with overload). I just played a 4-3-0-2-1 against stoke and ripped them off 4-0 having like 9 shots and 1 ccc. Obviously they made 1 (long range effort) for the entire 90 min.

And yet another pearler of a result... no doubt I'll get told in a minute that this is just a 'feature' of the new patch. The people who defend this atrocity of a patch 10.2 are just like those who defend Rafa in real life! :(

Outrage4.jpg

One of the problems is the complete stupidity of strikers when it comes to finishing. I have had keepers make quadruple saves against me because the strikers and wingers on my team dont have the presence of mind to knock the rebound into the corner where the keeper isnt sprawled on the floor, but resolutely keep on smashing the ball right at him. Another problem is the keepers ability to get down low to make saves in the blink of an eye. They teach strikers to hit shots hard and low for a reason: its difficult for a keeper to get down there so fast. But not in this game, they are down and at full stretch in a fraction of a second. There is no animation for the goalkeeper diving, just them on their feet transitioning straight to them on the floor having pulled off an incredible save. Very, very frustrating.

One of the problems is the complete stupidity of strikers when it comes to finishing. I have had keepers make quadruple saves against me because the strikers and wingers on my team dont have the presence of mind to knock the rebound into the corner where the keeper isnt sprawled on the floor, but resolutely keep on smashing the ball right at him. Another problem is the keepers ability to get down low to make saves in the blink of an eye. They teach strikers to hit shots hard and low for a reason: its difficult for a keeper to get down there so fast. But not in this game, they are down and at full stretch in a fraction of a second. There is no animation for the goalkeeper diving, just them on their feet transitioning straight to them on the floor having pulled off an incredible save. Very, very frustrating.

I know how you feel. Shay Given just pulled that one against me to save a potential injury time winner for me.

Sebastien Frey has just cost me three games in a row. I have restarted the match twice, deserved to win all three times, and failed to do so all three times due to Frey and their absurd finishing. In one game, their player shot from 30 yards and it went right over Adlers head, through his arms. He wasnt off his line. He just didnt save it. But of course, theres no way that this game could possibly favour the AI teams in this way. No no, its my tactics of course. My tactics make David Villa **** at finishing, and my goalkeeper incompetent. Its a cop out. Nonsense. Teams like Chelsea and Manchester United do not win solely off the back of tactical brilliance. If you have superior players, tactics count for less. I am in no way underplaying their importance, but there is no way you should pay for top class players when the finishing is League 2 standard. I can spend 20 minutes altering my tactics to perfection, spend the 90 minutes dominating in possession and setting up great chances for my strikers to finish, and come away with a loss to a goal from a set piece or a counter attack. Its not only that I can, its that it happens ALL THE TIME. My players general standard of play can be appalling at times, with wayward first touches, misplaced passes and terrible long shots all common place, defying more or less every stat and piece of information the game provides. It enrages me when my players are shown up by the ultra efficient AI teams, who seem to have no problem putting away the few chances they create in the course of the game. If I am going to lose a match, at least make the match a close thing, and dont have me spurn chance after chance so that when the opponent puts in their inevitable only chance of the game I can do nothing but scream in rage at my laptop screen. It seems to be Sports Interactives policy to cover bad programming with bad programming; the winning of matches 9-0 has been replaced with constantly losing matches you should have wrapped up by half time. They released the game before it was ready, with too many chances being created, and have failed miserably to solve the problem in two updates since. All I can do is hope that the issue is resolved PROPERLY in the next patch, and they dont implement something like super defenders with 10 metre sliding tackles and the ability to keep up with strikers no matter how fast they are. But judging by recent history, that is exactly the sort of cheap mechanic they will include.

Man that sucks. Ive had games like that where Gomes has played over a 9 and beaten me by himself, but I dont think Ive had 29 shots on target or whatever it was before. 10/10 for an average, accident prone goalkeeper? And people deny that there is a problem with the goalkeepers being too good in this game? Give me a break.

I'm actually going to throw my PC out the window...

Just had a guy where I had 7 CCC and scored 3. Man Utd have 2 and score 3. Once of those was a penalty.

Game against Spurs, 5 CCC one goal against their 1 CCC and 2 goals.

0-0 with Arsenal 3 CCC compared to their 1.

Hull, 6 CCC scored 2 against their 2 CCC and scored 1.

Seriously, only about 12 games in, but how the hell does the AI do it?

Has anyone experienced this in a league other than the EPL? I started a game with a lower level French team and had no problem what so ever with poor finishing and then i moved to Man United and the problem materialised. Is it something to do with the quality of player or simply the league?

Just had a 2-0 lead stolen from me away at Liverpool. I had 16 shots to their 9, 8 on target to their 3, and 2 cccs to their 1. Was playing a counter attacking strategy, and their second goal was them catching me on the break with no one but Evra in the box against Torres, Gerrard and Kuyt. And I had the touchline shout drop deeper on as well. Because that is fair and makes perfect sense.

Just as the rest of you, I have had problems with the "superkeeper" thing. Although I won this game, I cant ignore the fact that I could have won this game with an even bigger margin.

superkeeper.png

9.1 Rating in a 6-2 loss. Hmm.

Stats:

superstats.png

11 CCC is one thing, but 23 shots on target..

And dont ask me why Peter Crouch was used as a CB :)

I think there is a ME problem by AI not able to understand how to avoid your tactic. I mean, the AI is not able to see which one of my player has to be covered, and how to make a good offside trap for my ST. This lead to very much chances were my STs are in front of the GK. And so, it is more easy to put a code in the ME that make the shoots go straight to the GK, as to edit the code of the game for AI. I am watching my players getting in superb position in front of the goal and striking the ball the most of time towards the middle of the goal, there were the GK is. But the opposition gets only few chances and they are able to strike the ball wonderfull beside my GK. So, I am playing a lower league (Bosnien) and the GK Curent ability are 90-110 and they even then manage to make saves that a Van der Sar or Buffon could just watch and learn. My strikers are very good, and it makes me confuse how it is possible that they don't get it how to strike the ball in the edge of the goal (only 1 shoot from 5 goes in) but the opposition ST (CA 85) is so good in front of the goal. 1 strike above the goal, and the second is in.

So, I read a lot of things in this forum about my tactic, your tactic, ME is perfect, there are no SuperGK,... please.... then explain me how am I still able to get past the defense line with my striker but not able to score. And the AI is just hitting the ball from outside the box and scoring, or getting in the box and scoring from the first atempt.

Please edit the AI, not the ME. AI should know better how to cover my players, so that I can't get so oft in the box. And then you can put away this code edit for more CCC saves.

cheers

Its just plain laziness by the developers. There was a problem with the match engine in that too many chances were being created and as a result, too many goals were being scored. Instead of dealing with the problem of the chances, they just put in this abysmal cheap mechanism which the match engine uses as a crutch to ensure you never win by too much, even when by all rights you should be annihilating your opponents. I just played West Ham, and created 11 clear cut chances to their 0. The final score? In reality, Manchester United with David Villa and Wayne Rooney up front would ensure that the score would be at least 6 or 7-0. In this atrocity of a patch, the game decided that a narrow 3-2 win in my favour was a more fair result. And this is after West Ham had Parker sent off in the 35th minute. Its pathetic, there is no justification for this keeper glitch, it is sheer lazy programming.

But, how can a GK from Bosnien League, who has 88 CA be MOM???

It can't be. He is saving everything, but I manage to score. And how do they score? Easy, the ball to the striker, he gets in the box, and look now: he is able to curle the shoot in the long opposite angle of the goal.

And now somebody tell me that it is your tactic, it is your managment, it is your talking, it is your moral,............. It is impossible that an avarage (Bosnien League avarage is finishing 9) ST is able to score such goals, and my Strikers who are double better of that are stoped by some avarage GK (handling 8, reflexes 10, one-on-ones 11, rushing out 11)

Come on, you still haven't resolved the problem with so much created chances. So, why do you take as the joy of our hard work? :thdn: They should repaire the "AI football thinking", and not make some ME code for CCchances

In this forum, in Italian forum, Bosnian forum, EX-Jugoslawien forum, German forum, are so much threads about one single problem: this one!

Archived