Return of the Fafeful - Game Thread

Players Player of the year stands at 13 votes, thats out of 22 Players & other followers, come on guys I would like a higher number of votes in these. Remember these are the nominees:

Aleksander Radakovic.

Santiago Gonzalez.

Lucas Schaw.

Tyler Burrows.

Jesuzinho da Silva.

Joe Tompkins.

Thanks to all those who have voted, I did set a deadline which is only twenty minutes away, but for the benefit of everyone it has been extended to Midday NZ time, 3 hours away. Just PM me those votes, I will tally them and give you an answer. I am a bit busy so far today so no updates yet, but hopefully I will get into the game this afternoon.

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply
In this game it may just be the quality of our defense keeping the opposition out a lot more that is keeping our goalies at average ratings.

I think it's this. In my game, the times where I see my keeper get really good ratings (and possibly MotM) is when the game is very close and my keeper has had to make a string of very good saves. Also, I often see the opposition goalkeeper get MotM even when my team is able to get past him a few times, due to the sheer number of saves he was also to make. I think our defence has just been too good for the opposition so that not enough chances have been created for our goalkeepers to shine.

Return of the Fafeful

Season 2009/10

Players' Player of the Year

Well the votes are in and they have been tallied as follows:

In last place with zero votes we have...Tyler Burrows, following him we have a three way tie for 3rd with 1 vote each...these three in no particular order are...Lucas Schaw, Joe Tompkins & Santiago Gonzalez.

And now that we have our two finalists, I will get straight to the winner, the winner of the first Annual Fafeful Players' Player of the Season is....Aleksander Radakovic, who received a massive 8 votes.

So obviously that leaves Jesuzinho da Silva in second place with a total of 4 votes.

Well Schaw got injured in his international game, and Cristiano in training about a week later.

And to top it off the Third Division I created has decided that with teams being promoted to the 2nd division (12 of us) that it doesn't have enough teams to fill the 3rd Division Madeira, which is supposed to have promotion relegation down to the lower leagues. So now there are only 8 divisions and the Premier League Teams are gaining entry to the Taca de Terceira.Ok so I have found the problem, instead of the 2nd division teams relegating to the 3rd Division Series I created they have relegated to the 3rd division and not been assigned to a group. Hopefully this doesn't become a game breaker or I will have to rework the whole system. :)

I have just posted THIS to the editors Forum, hopefully someone can help cause as it sits right now i can see us in 8 years time having the system crash completely and leave us with no game. If I can find a fix I may restart the whole game and see what happens. Hopefully it is not going to cause a massive crash dump, but i would rather start again after 1 season than wait til season 9 and have the game crash.

I am going to complete the September Update (26.09 right now) and then run a holiday til the end of the season and see what happens.

Great updates again LLR and nice to see Demir picking up some goalscoring form towards the end of last season.

Sorry I missed the Player of the Year vote but only had time for a couple of quick checks of the forums over the last few days and I couldn't do your updates justice in that time.

Hope the relegation issues are solvable - it would be a shame to lose a season.

Great updates again LLR and nice to see Demir picking up some goalscoring form towards the end of last season.

Sorry I missed the Player of the Year vote but only had time for a couple of quick checks of the forums over the last few days and I couldn't do your updates justice in that time.

Hope the relegation issues are solvable - it would be a shame to lose a season.

No problem DodgeeD, I understand the limited time and justice to my updates? I only ask that you read them :) And yeah Demir's end of season form was a delight to see.

I would be gutted to lose a season, so I hope I can fix it in game, but I doubt it. No matter what I will keep this thread going, even if it does mean a restart.

Return of the Fafeful

September 30th 2010

News from Fafe

• Four players have been called up for international duty: U19s - Monasterio (ESP), Hurst & Millar (ENG), U20s - William Hall (AUS).
  • Aleksander Radakovic came on as a substitute for the Serbian U19s as they drew 2 all with Sweden, he had very little impact.
  • Czech Rep U19s Captain David Vrba played well as his team drew 1 all with Ireland.

• Joe Tompkins & Biggs Hades played for England's U20s as they went down 2:0 to USA, both played fairly average games.
  • The Polish U21s finished off Montenegro 2:1 with Frank Fontaine have a great game in the middle as he ran the team.
  • Whoopy Dee'e made the best performance of them all as the Cameroon U21s defeated Malawi 3:1, he provided the final pass on a goal and was good all game long.

• Lucas Schaw allowed two goals for the Faroe Islands before going off with a hip injury in New Zealand's 2:1 loss. He is expected to be out for four months, so I may just have to find a spare replacement keeper at some point.
  • The Andorrans were playing Iran in a friendly today and went down 3:1 with Tyler Burrows making a very disappointing showing.

• 2nd Round of the Portuguese Cup is drawn and we will face Oriental (2DC).
  • David Vrba captained his Czech U19s to a huge 3:0 victory over Malta, he performed solidly throughout and was delighted afterwards.
  • Ali Millar came off the bench for Englands U19s and was disappointing even as they won 5:0 over Slovenia.

• The Portuguese U21s could only manage a draw with Hungary 1:1 and da Silva had a solid performance.
  • Frank Fontaine performed like his usual self as the Polish U21s defeated Faroe Islands 1:0, they were gutted to have not scored more.
  • Even William Hall scoring a penalty could not save the Australian U20s from going down 2:1 to Ecuador. The captain tried to get his side going, but with an 87 minute goal spelling defeat he was distraught afterwards.

• Ben Smith has resumed full training and should be ready for the season start.
  • Tyler Burrows performed poorly as Andorra went down 3:1 to Estonia.

• It seems the Varzim U19s were out to get us in our Group 8 match as they broke ribs on Pedro Soares (DC) and he will be out for 4 weeks, and they were a factor in Vitor (ML) Parente straining his groin putting him out for 4 weeks. We did get a 1 all draw though.

• The club will have its second cup match as we face Oriental in the 2nd round, we go in at evens and favourites, while they are 11-5 outsiders. Our fans are hopeful. The boards minimum expectation is for us to reach the third round, so I better achieve that.
  • I have also today offered Johan Crespin a single year contract as our back-up goalie during Schaw's injury.
  • Season ticket sales were announced and we sold a total of 297, an improvement of 97 over last season.
  • In the third round the big boys come in, lets pump for a home match against Porto, Benfica or Sporting. :)

• Francisco Alves has joined the list of U19 injuries as he strains his groin in training to go out for 4 weeks.

• And now I need a keeper like instantly, Cristiano has just gone down in training with a torn hamstring and will be out for 3-4 months. So now we have a minimu of 3 months with no keeper.

• Well Crespin signed, but he won't be joining until Jan 1st. We are screwed.
  • And the loan report came back with no one out there as a keeper.

• First league game against Espinho and we have no quality keeper. We are complete underdogs in this match at 3-1.
  • We were denied a penalty in the dying minutes, but I refused to question it because of a reprimand.

• Frank Fontaine signs a professional Part time deal and has been offered a FT contract by Tiny.

• Fafe U19s beat Vizela in the U19s Cup to advance to the 3rd round.

• Fontaine signs a five year fulltime deal to stay at the club.

• Our U19s drew 1:1 with Boavista to move to 7th in their league.

• Our fans are travelling with the club to Ribeirao today as we go into the game as comfortable favourites 1-3, a big win is predicted, hopefully the lack of a keeper is no problem.
  • Duco Zitman fell heavily during this match and has twisted his ankle, he will be out of action for between 5 & 6 weeks.

• We will travel to fellow 2DN side Lousada in the third round of the Cup, hopefully this is a victory and we can dream to face Porto in 4th round.
  • William Hall joins a growing injury list as he goes down with a Chest Injury while lifting weights, he is expected to be absent for 3-4 weeks.

• We travel to Marinhense for the first game in our Segunda group and our fans are very confident, as 1-20 favourites they have a right to be.

Possible Signings

Revy Rosalia - A Left Wing who could fill the gap we currently have, though our youth prospect Parente looks good there. (still being followed). Parente is looking like better cover though so Rosalia may be let off elsewhere.

Johan Crespin - With the injury to Schaw I am looking at back-up goalies, this guy looks the better of the two, younger and with potential.

Ernesto - He is older and more solid as a back-up, which is probably what I need, but I am undecided right now.

The Matches

TdP = Portuguese Cup (Taca de Portugal), TdS = Segunda (Taca de Segunda), 19C = U19s Cup, 19L = U19s League & 2DN = League (2nd Division North)

19C: Fafe vs Trofense 2:0

Hurst (11), Millar (90+1)

MoM:

Player Stats

I put a fair few of our stars into this game as a final warm-up and they did pretty well.

TdP: Fafe vs Oriental p1:1

Tompkins (23)

Player Stats

We dominated possession early but it took 18 minutes for us to even get a shot on goal. Following that we got our first goal in the mess following a corner, the ball bounced clear to Demir who put it back into the box for Tompkins to head home. Late in the first half a dangerous chance was let go, Cristiano missed the diving save, but it cannoned off the upright. We had a goal disallowed after 57 minutes, a shot from Tompkins hit da Silva in the chest and went into the net as the keeper dived the other way, unluckily da Silva was offside at the time. At 72 minutes Cristiano kept it as our game with a great free kick save, but the corner was attempted to be punched away only for it to deflect to their striker on the far post who headed it home. So into extra time we go, at the halfway stage the only action was Millar getting a yellow for injuring one of their players. Onwards. In the final minute of extra time da Silva was through on goal, but the keeper saved it for a corner. So it goes to Penalties, with them scoring first 0:1, Dee'e steps up and scores straight 1:1, They score 1:2, Zitman from the spot in off the post 2:2, And Cristiano SAVES!! 2:2, Von Stronburg steps up and scores off the keeper 3:2, and they score 3:3, Burrows scores 4:3, They must get this to stay in it...and scored 4:4, Now The Monster steps up with a chance to win the game and hits it into the right corner 5:4...Fafe advance on Penalties.

2DN: Fafe vs Espinho 1:1

Holt (5)

MoM: Holt

Player Stats

With our first goal coming early, following a free kick the ball was cleared, but Hurst smacked it back in and Holt headed home the opener. Our lack of a goalkeeper seemed to be no problem as it took 34 minutes for them to get a shot off, and it was straight at the keeper who put it over the bar. Just before half time in the added injury they managed to get a shot on goal and slot it home, we are in trouble with no keeper. The start of the first half was end to end as both teams tried to get a winner, after 59 minutes Gonzalez went close but a diving save put it out for a corner. Well I have to be happy with a draw, but a keeper would've made the difference.

2DN: Ribeirao vs Fafe 1:2

Quam (36), Zitman (pen58)

MoM: Quam

Player Stats

Early on the only shots we got were from a distance and none were even close to the net, it took us 36 minutes to crack the opposition with James firing a cross to Quam on the far post and he headed it home past the keeper. In the 53rd minute Jason Demir was lucky to escape with a yellow after a blatant two footed foul. It all changed in the 57th minute when Tompkins was taken down in the box for a penalty. Zitman stepped up and slotted it home with ease. Deep into injury time Hades decided to try and give the game away as he took down their right wing in the box, the ref ignored his protests and pointed to the spot. The scored without our goalie moving. Luckily we had done enough for the win.

TdSI: Marinhense vs Fafe 1:1

da Silva (63)

Player Stats

The first match in Group I kicks off with us away from home. We were dominating early, but a mistake from Millar let their striker through and put them up. 40mins in and we had a goal disallowed as James pounced on a rebound and smashed it in, he was called back for Offside. Finally 63 minutes into the game a huge clearance from a corner to Fontaine saw him smash it upfield and da Silva ran through, as the keeper came at him he smacked it into the net to bring us level. An injury time corner was our last chance to take the win, but it didn't happen and we suffered another draw.

The Month

Well a solid first month for us considering that after the Cup win on penalties we were without our two keepers, to draw 1:1 with Espinho, win 2:1 in our second game and then draw 1:1 again is actually an alright return, we need to hope that it improves as both keepers are out til Mid December/January. For the player of the Month this time around I am going to give it to Liam Hurst, he was solid in both games he played in and provided an assist on the goal that gave us a draw against Espinho. No other players really shined.

Season Tickets

Player Stats

Finances

League Table

Segunda Table

Player of the Month History

August 10: Lucas Schaw (GK)

September 10: Liam Hurst (MC)

I have the game on holiday now to check out what is going to happen with the overall 3rd Division, so for now this will be it for the updates. If the system corrects itself then I will continue, if it doesn't then I will fix the database and we will start over from scratch. I will make sure that all the players who started as Youth begin on Fulltime contracts this time around. And I have a few other tweaks to make to things if its needed.

So everyone please cross your fingers that after one season of issues the whole thing fixes itself up.

And this is a gamebreaker, the leagues have all stalled at the end of the previous season stuck because promotion/Relegation cannot happen, so I am going to have to do my best to fix the issue and continue from there. Hopefully the problem is not hardcoded that teams relegate to the "Third Division" because otherwise I am going to have fun breaking that ;) Sorry guys but it looks like run one is done and dusted right there.

If anyone has anything they would like changed on their Character, nationality, D.O.B. or anything else just let me know and I will fix that while I am at it. Thanks for the support everyone and I hope i can get this running again soon.

Oh no LLR!! That is such a shame. It is difficult to work new nation rules in the editor I have to admit. Make sure you test the 'fixed' version at least for a few seasons just to be sure :thup:

That means Monster's vital spot kick never happened :(

If there's one thing we should all do now...

It is to keep the FAFE!!

Oh please all of you Keep the FAFE! I will be back, I am going to run this holiday session as long as I can, going to just load Portugal for the test, but when i start the game again I plan on loading a fair few nations seen as I have upgraded to 3GB of RAM, so if there is a preferably European Nation you would like me to load the top league for just post it. So far I am planning England, France, Holland, Italy, Germany, Spain, & Scotland. I think my computer can probably handle at the speed I can still enjoy about another 3-5 top leagues.

The first year of the holiday test is down, and it has worked, we still have 8 full divisions at 3rd Division level, the League Cup is now done differently, but oh well ;)

If this test continues and works, my aim is going to be to add division borders to the 2nd & 3rd Divisions on the hope that it means clubs will always be in the right divisions or close enough to it.

Well I have the holiday game running in the background and while that is going I am running through the Cities of Portugal & Adding Longitude and Lattitude to all of them 234 started without this now I am down to 170 or so to go, this could take a while, but does mean the holiday test will go a long way, then I will go about setting up the boundaries for each of my divisions, basically I will order the clubs from North to South and then split up approximately where they lie between the divisions, hopefully being able to create the Madeira & Azores divisions properly as well.

So it has holidayed through to 2014/15 season and Fafe won the Liga Vitalis last season making it into the Liga Sagres.

Players Still at Fafe: Jason Demir, Frank Fontaine (3 Caps), Biggs Hades, William Hall (2 Caps), Liam Hurst, Santiago Gonzalez, Ben Smith, Joe Tompkins, & Duco Zitman.

Players who have left: 2009/10: Radakovic (2 Caps, Guimaraes), Jesuzinho da Silva (Porto), 2010/11: David Vrba (Braga), Tyler Burrows (32 Caps, Barcelona), Manuel Monasterio (Porto), 2011/12: Matt James (6 Caps, Inter), 2012/13: Mer Cristiano (PAOK), 2014/15: Halo Von Stronburg (Dundee Utd), Lucas Schaw (38 Caps, Naval), Whoopy Dee'e (Sanjoanense), Ali Millar (Zulte Waregem).

Glad it is working, I have added all the latitude/longitudes now creating the boundaries for each group going forward so they stay somewhat in order.

Shame we have to start again but at least it was only a season and the issue seems to be fixed. :thup:

One minor change for Jason Demir - same nationailty (English/Turkish) but could the 'declared for nation' box be unticked? It would be interesting to see who he gets a call up from and who he ends up playing for then. Cheers.

The Fafe is strong in all of us!

Well there were previously no awards so I have added the following...Team of Week & Year, Manager of Year, Top Goals, Assists, MoM & Top Fullback, Goalkeeper, Centre back, Midfielder & Striker. I think that covers everything. They have been added for all 8 of the 3rd divisions, nothing for cups :)

Now I am going to set up another holiday game test to make sure it works still :)

I will probably be quite busy tomorrow, but I should be able to get this going on New Years...once the hangover is gone ;)

Edit: Should I start a new thread for Take II, or just continue in this thread with a note in the first page directing everyone to where it restarts from? :)

I'd carry on in this thread Des. At least then we can compare this new effort to the original. So long as you link in the OP to the first post of the new game then it'll be fine :thup:

That was my thought as well, I would create new opening posts with moving the data we have from there currently into a new post, then restarting it from wherever we are up to at the time.

I am now running a final test which is to figure out how many leagues I can happily run alongside this Portuguese set-up, in this build I have 16 leagues from 13 countries.

Archived