If you are unhappy with FM10/SI state here

Ive stopped playing completely now, wont be buying 2011, the game is to 'hardcore' and 'complex'

for casual gamers like me....shame.......

Its not so much S.I. fault, i just liked the fun and quickness of the older games like 00/01 - 01/02 - 03/04

Well as they say.....'nothing lasts forever' .

I feel the exact same way, I have not played in almost 2 weeks :(

• Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm unhappy with the fm series.

My reason is that SI has failed to respond to the desires of its most loyal fans. Year after year we have requested relatively little but have been ignored. Bugs and annoyances don't get fixed and unwanted crap gets added.

very very true.....

Just catching up on this thread.

Some valid points made on both sides of the discussion (note I didn't say argument) and I can definately see why the people who are enjoying the game react this way as they are just as passionate about the game as those of us who are struggling

The one thing that I personally think is not in question even with the most ardent FM fan is the following. Many people have become frustrated with the game...........and everyone has the same frustrations. This can't be right.

If I buy FM, my thoughts and personality should mean that the game plays out in a totally different way to anybody else in the world as it is a simulation and not a platform or role playing game. How come then that people all over Britain and the World are seeing the same things - bad defending, quick equalisers, poor finishing %, tactics being countered in the same way etc etc. This has to mean that the game is programmed to do this and it isn't tactics. Me playing 300 miles away, or whatever, from someone else on a totally different computer should generate a different outcome yet with this game people encounter the same things regardless of style of play, what tactics they employ etc

I revert to my earlier post. I honestly think the game has lost its way. You can never copy real life especially in football so to try and programme the game to cover all bases to me is a recipe for disaster. I think this is proven in the continual upgrades and the continual problems.

I know people like to try and solve others problems so can anyone explain the following scenario encountered last night and exactly what in my tactics was wrong. I would like to know for future so that I can never encounter this again

I am Celtic. I am 2-1 up with 2 minutes to play. Long ball gets played through but my keeper collects easily. My keeper is set to play out to defender. For 88 minutes he has rolled the ball to my left and right back when available yet on this occassion he turns 90 degrees and boots it straight out for a throw in.... not up the pitch, out for a throw level with the penalty spot.......you can guess what happened next. Throw gets taken, player passes inside and 20 yard screamer into the roof of the net. Any suggestions on why this occured???

i was 4-1 up with notts county against leicester city they had 4 shots on target and beat me 5-4 it was so anonying i nearly smashed my laptop

Well, I don't really think this is the kind of 'unhappy with fm2010' scenario that the OP had in mind. If you really feel like smashing your laptop because you didn't win a game, then I think you have a problem beyond the scope of this thread.

Just catching up on this thread.

I am Celtic. I am 2-1 up with 2 minutes to play. Long ball gets played through but my keeper collects easily. My keeper is set to play out to defender. For 88 minutes he has rolled the ball to my left and right back when available yet on this occassion he turns 90 degrees and boots it straight out for a throw in.... not up the pitch, out for a throw level with the penalty spot.......you can guess what happened next. Throw gets taken, player passes inside and 20 yard screamer into the roof of the net. Any suggestions on why this occured???

Why doesn't he roll it to a defender? Maybe he thinks with so short a time left that he would rather see the ball up the far end of the pich so tries to boot it as hard as he can and it slips off his foot and goes out for a throw in. Maybe he thought he heard the final whistle and so kicked the ball into touch. And don't dismiss this as rubbish, a real life event occured where a player thought he heard the full time whistle and booted the ball into the back of his own net, resulting in a goal scored against his own team! There are many, many reasons why this could have happened, would you have been so unhappy if it had been the opposition team that did this, resulting in a goal for your team? I think not.

And please don't generalise without proof. Saying things like, 'people all over Britain and the World are seeing the same things - bad defending, quick equalisers, poor finishing %, tactics being countered in the same way etc etc' is just not true, I am not seeing those things in my game, and I'm pretty sure that you are not in touch with everyone in the whole world who is playing this game. Just because you see a number of posts on this forum from people complaining about stuff doesn't mean everyone who bought the game is unhappy with it.

How long have you played FM/CM: That would be CM93/94. Rushing home from school to dominate the league with Marc Emmers and Nii Lamptey!

Your issue (e.g. patches, unplayable game)

the crash dump problem is by no means new, I am playing the new patch, and deliberatly not read the crash dump problem thread until I have, myself experienced a crash on reccomended setup (I cannot be fairer than that) Until that point I would prefer not to say too much.

I can, however speculate that that if the patch solves the crash dump issue, that would constitute a good turnaround. the opposite could also be true.

Transfer wise. I am still not liking things, I am paying too much for players, and not recieving much back. I am practicing all the time though. This is probably the most difficult edition (FM2010) to get the transfer system right. As in real life, the market has been mutated. More often than not you can start at a club with no money and big holes in certain position. Thats the reality of football.

I also think that this is why in recent years some people are finding FM hard work and you are getting threads whereby people are leaving the series. If you come from the c.CM3 generation, you are used to picking up players cheaply with a mass transfer budget. This is obviously not SI's fault.

What you would recommened be done

Its a pity that SI cannot take a year off ie. FM2011. This would allow all the problems to get sorted. I have in the past said that if SI couldnt produce a working game its reputation would get damaged and they would be in trouble - The free market, etc. I was in a well known PC games shop and noticed that FM10 was only number 4! Is this already happening?

The crash dump problem is the main issue for me, I know that some people have experienced a level of randomness regarding the result/performance, I have not had enough time to judge.

I know there have been some problems with the size of the database ie. People running too many leagues/Too Many players, people are always going to push their specification. I would reccomend that as well as a way to ADD leagues, you can work out a way to TAKE THEM AWAY. That might save some space? I would quite happily uninstall the Malaysia/Singapore/South Korea league, whilst wanting to add Lithuania and Georgia? (This is more than not selecting them, this is rather purging them from my game)

Constructivlty: I love the feel of the Tactics Creator. for the first time I really understand what I am doing, the research again is very good. I just hope the patch fixes things........

Once again this thread has gone off topic.

Thank you to everyone who has tried to keep the thread on topic and stuck to the structure which I asked for.

It is important that people who defend SI understand that the people who are unhappy with SI/FM are expressing these views through their love for the game, not because we won’t to destroy SI/FM or anything like that. However some people do feel it is time SI recognised their short falls.

If people are happy with the game then please may I ask, respectfully that you do not post.

Read the forum rules.

General Discussion Rules/Links/FAQ

“If you do not like a post, we ask that you either a) ignore the post or b) use the report button if it is breaking any of these rules.”

Once again I would ask if people would stick to the structure.

So why exactly are you complaining in this thread? You have single-handedly proved what alot of people have been saying. Congrats (Y)

I'm not complaining. I have merely expressed my opinion. If you would like to clarify why I "have single-handedly proved what alot of people have been saying" then I would be very interested to hear you justify such an ignorant remark.

Look back through most forum posts complaining about this game or about the number of patches. CM4 probably was the best game AFTER patches, which is what alot of people have been saying, wait until after the first proper patch until you start screaming that the game is "crap".

Happy?

I'm still waiting for you to answer what "crap" was added this year btw.

Look back through most forum posts complaining about this game or about the number of patches. CM4 probably was the best game AFTER patches, which is what alot of people have been saying, wait until after the first proper patch until you start screaming that the game is "crap".

Happy?

I'm still waiting for you to answer what "crap" was added this year btw.

So in other words you can't justify what you said.

As I said, I expressed my opinion (which I believe I am entitled to) and I respect contrary views. In fact, I'll happily admit that CM4 was crap because I was thinking of CM03-04. Nevertheless, despite my mistake, I didn't resort to rudeness. You on the other hand, have been quite rude and for that you should be ashamed.

How long have you played FM/CM: Almost 17 years (since CM 93).

My Issues: Must say FM10 is the pick of the lot, especially due to the new tactics creator and in-match shouts (bringing the game closer to real-life). Absolutely love the new features and UI. However, there are several issues that perhaps need addressing: defenders' behaviour and decision in a match are occasionally bizarre and not according to the way a reasonable defender would behave in situations, particularly in breakaways (both flank and through the middle), too many "screamers" from 25 yds. out getting in, boot-room advice a tad vague.

What you would recommend be done: tweak ME and defenders' AI, improve boot-room advice (for FM11)!

@ FrazT as OP I have tried to keep the thread on topic. It is obviously that some people are trying to get the thread closed down, why cant you simply delete their posts? I feel closing the topic down is unfair to the people whom have kept to the structure/topic?

@ FrazT as OP I have tried to keep the thread on topic. It is obviously that some people are trying to get the thread closed down, why cant you simply delete their posts? I feel closing the topic down is unfair to the people whom have kept to the structure/topic?

I'd just like to say to Kilmarnock that I don't think people are trying to derail the thread on purpose.

Obviously with any thread where criticism is invited, there is always going to be forum members who feel strongly and sometimes it does tend to get a bit heated. Look at similar threads (which often extend to dozens of pages) and you will always see the same pattern. It always blows over sooner rather than later so I hope this thread isn't closed just because of a little bickering. It's par for the course really and I don't think it's always a bad thing. People need to let off a bit of steam and sort it out in the only way they know ie bickering.

I hope that makes sense.

Please if you are quite happy with FM10/SI then do not post in this thread as it will end up decending into another bicker thread.

Why do forum posters ignore the wish of the OP? The reason he has stated the above in the OP was to avoid arguements and another thread closure.

The unhappiness is pointed towards SI, not you. Surely it is best to allow them to settle the grieviances. After all, there are no \\\'brownie points\\\' available for sticking up for them.

An opinion is valid and results in conversation, an arguement is aggravating and results in nothing worth while.

If you disagree with his comments then sit back and \\\'chuckle\\\' at him if you wish. When you look through each thread of this nature people are consistantly trying to defend SI, and this usually ends up in an arguement/slanging match. The result of this is the mods will close the thread when there really should be no need as the original thread content was fine.

There are plenty of \\\'I am happy with the game\\\' threads to post on. Let those be who want to have a moan, the game will still be relased next year as always. :)

Why doesn't he roll it to a defender? Maybe he thinks with so short a time left that he would rather see the ball up the far end of the pich so tries to boot it as hard as he can and it slips off his foot and goes out for a throw in. Maybe he thought he heard the final whistle and so kicked the ball into touch. And don't dismiss this as rubbish, a real life event occured where a player thought he heard the full time whistle and booted the ball into the back of his own net, resulting in a goal scored against his own team! There are many, many reasons why this could have happened, would you have been so unhappy if it had been the opposition team that did this, resulting in a goal for your team? I think not.

And please don't generalise without proof. Saying things like, 'people all over Britain and the World are seeing the same things - bad defending, quick equalisers, poor finishing %, tactics being countered in the same way etc etc' is just not true, I am not seeing those things in my game, and I'm pretty sure that you are not in touch with everyone in the whole world who is playing this game. Just because you see a number of posts on this forum from people complaining about stuff doesn't mean everyone who bought the game is unhappy with it.

This is one of the issues I have with the game also. I too have noticed the bad defending, poor finishing %, tactics being countered in the same way. All that needs to be done to highlight the problem for a lot of people is to search the forum. Heck SI have even said theyre looking into the defending issues.

Also, its always quite frustrating when something "freak" like the equaliser against celtic is described and the player is then told to accept it and move on because someone else knows of one example where it happens. Sorry, but that just isnt right. The chances of him knocking it out for a throw, then conceding a long shot are slim. Its clearly a bug of some sort.

Why do forum posters ignore the wish of the OP? The reason he has stated the above in the OP was to avoid arguements and another thread closure.

The unhappiness is pointed towards SI, not you. Surely it is best to allow them to settle the grieviances. After all, there are no \'brownie points\' available for sticking up for them.

An opinion is valid and results in conversation, an arguement is aggravating and results in nothing worth while.

If you disagree with his comments then sit back and \'chuckle\' at him if you wish. When you look through each thread of this nature people are consistantly trying to defend SI, and this usually ends up in an arguement/slanging match. The result of this is the mods will close the thread and when there really should be no need as the original thread content was fine.

There are plenty of \'I am happy with the game\' threads to post on. Let those be who want to have a moan, the game will still be relased next year as always. :)

I think he actually wanted a discussion - not just people posting who agreed with him. Your post is just arrogant and patronising and exactly the sort of post that will get this thread closed.

I think he actually wanted a discussion - not just people posting who agreed with him. Your post is just arrogant and patronising and exactly the sort of post that will get this thread closed.

I dont think it is patronising in any way. I actually wrote that an opinion forms discussions - and I am sure that this is what the OP originally wanted.

Anyhow, you are entitled to your opinion.

You are right.

My apologies Asprilla. I hadn't realised that this thread was exclusively for those who are unhappy.

Back on topic, I don't like how reported bugs never get fixed in the current version - they say they will fix it in the next version. It makes me feel like I have wasted my money.

How long have you played FM/CM: Since the beginning!

Your issue (e.g. patches, unplayable game):

1) Awful interface in FM10, not intuitive at all, lack of flow of actions,

2) Long term games - no point in starting before 2nd patch at earliest

What you would recommened be done:

1) Flow should be much more intuitive and guide you through e.g. each day go -> Inbox <enter> News <enter>

Match (if applicable)

2) Release the game as soon after the August transfer windows as possible so patch 2 is out much earlier in the Season.

You are right.

My apologies Asprilla. I hadn\\\\\\\'t realised that this thread was exclusively for those who are unhappy.

Back on topic, I don\\\\\\\'t like how reported bugs never get fixed in the current version - they say they will fix it in the next version. It makes me feel like I have wasted my money.

Its cool :)

Why doesn't he roll it to a defender? Maybe he thinks with so short a time left that he would rather see the ball up the far end of the pich so tries to boot it as hard as he can and it slips off his foot and goes out for a throw in. Maybe he thought he heard the final whistle and so kicked the ball into touch. And don't dismiss this as rubbish, a real life event occured where a player thought he heard the full time whistle and booted the ball into the back of his own net, resulting in a goal scored against his own team! There are many, many reasons why this could have happened, would you have been so unhappy if it had been the opposition team that did this, resulting in a goal for your team? I think not

Ridiculous reply. Read what I said. The keeper turned 90 degrees, there was no slice. Why when defending the game do people apply human logic to a game. A little 3d man can't assume to have heard the whistle..........are you for real. How many times when playing the game have you heard what you thought was a whistle. Honestly.

You ask for proof when people complain. Provide proof of the "many, many reasons" that would have my keeper turn 90 degrees. Nothing on the tactics would suggest that he should do it. Don't apply your thoughts either. I want definate answer based on the tactic options available that would have the player turn 90 degrees and kick it out the side of the pitch.

FM gamers mainly fall into two catagorys, Hardcore and casual.

Hardcore generally have an idea what they are doing, what effects what.

Whereas casual players are struggling with the increasing depth the game gets each release. Although mostly they know what they want to do tactically they find any slight error brings a snowball effect whereby more things go wrong and don't know what caused it.

SI have repeatedly stated that they will continue to follow the realistic (hardcore) route and i believe that they feel the game is not yet sophisticated enough.

So for any casual gamers, myself inckuded, it is best to come to these terms rather than keep fighting against them.

A person from SI has stated that a demo is released each year and if you don't like the product you don't have to buy it. Pity the demo doesn't truely reflect the game though.

If you look at this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRSFDGSufpU

you see the keeper turns 90 degrees but puts it into his own net. Is that not similar to what your keeper did?

and if you saw that in the game would you think that was a bug? or was it more blatant?

It was totally blatant. Keeper is standing about the penalty spot after collecting a wayward long ball. My right back was in space and the keeper was set too distribute to defenders. He literally turned 90 degrees and hoofed it out of the pitch.

If he had tried to clear it up field and it kicked it out of play then fair comment, happens loads in games, but to literally turn and kick it into touch just adds to my total frustration. Then for the ball to be played in side and a 20 yarder just basically encompasses all my issues with the game.............No marking, no attempted tackles, no pressing, ridiculously high strike rate of AI players from long shots

SI have repeatedly stated that they will continue to follow the realistic (hardcore) route and i believe that they feel the game is not yet sophisticated enough.
I would agree - lets be honest it's still too easy to take a small team to Champion's League glory isn't it?

brick wall..

if you wish to talk about goalkeepers in the match engine please create your own thread.

Tbf just because you created a thread does not mean you can dictate what is talked about. People are unhappy with FM10 and one of the reasons is the keeper kicking the ball out of play after collecting it and under no pressure, I too found this, and it's perfectly relevant to the tthread.

I think FM must be made modular so we can chose to leave some of the modules out ( like press and team talks, hate them both)

Transfer system needs to be a real transfer system where you can sell players you dont need on their displayed price , buy players you need on their displayed price , and keep they players you don't wanna sell without having to see endless lines of rejected offers on your screen.

Having "top youth facilities & youth academy" means that you have youth camps all over the planet getting the best new guys around , having your assistant travelling to Moldavia only to find a guy with PA <160 is just wrong .

I am not unhappy but FM could have been way better (and without crashes) .

I think FM must be made modular so we can chose to leave some of the modules out ( like press and team talks, hate them both)

This was a popular request and they ignored it because they didn't want to 'dumb the game down', because apparently the press conferences and team talks are not dumb.

Press conferences aren't great in my opinion. I was initally dismayed when I read the back of the box of whatever version they were first included in - they were being highlighted as a brand new feature, whereas they were really just press comments rebundled into a new format.

I think there is limited scope to what can be acheived from them, as well as how they can be implemented. Personally, I tend to send my ass man to every press conference, merely as I get totally bored by clocking repeatedly, sometimes even getting asked the same question multiple times.

Regarding the goalkeeping issue raised, it is quite clearly a bug and any defence of that bug is futile, these threads do turn into a slanging match most of the time between the issue raisers and the SI defenders who see any critism of FM as a personal insult to themselves, their families, their friends and everyone on the planet, that is not an insult, just an observation of the people who defend FM at all costs.

While I understand their need to defend their favourite game, it would be good if we could keep it civil and stop the petty insults that I myself am guilty of on occasion, particually to Crouchaldiniho which I apoligise for but I find his 'regards, c.' thing particually annoying.

Could we now get back to topic at hand please.

Archived