Tina's Super Saints of Paisley

gavrenwick

• Replies 503
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Means a lot, cheers boys. It's easy to forget how far I believe I've come since my first story and 10k views is magnificent to achieve.

Sunday 1st November 2009

November came with a bang for St Mirren and all at the club. It was awards time yet again, and Tina was back at the top of the pile as she was named Manager of the Month, regaining the crown she earned in August. The fact that St Mirren had registered four victories and conceded no goals was testament to how well the Paisley side were playing, and everyone could see that. Tony Mowbray and Mark McGhee filled out the second and third spots, Stoichkov not even getting a mention.

There was then success in the Young Player of the Month award. Hibernian had been hogging this award, with both Paul Hanlon and Lewis Stevenson having won it so far. This time it was the turn of St Mirren, Febian Brandy rightly taking the crown. Following just behind him was Diego Contento who Tina was growing to love more with each passing day. Milan Misun made it two left backs in the top three by finishing third, his season with Celtic having got off to a rocker.

And the celebrations didn’t end there for Febian as he sealed the Goal of the Month award thanks to his superb solo effort against Motherwell on the 24th. Alex McDonald’s goal for Falkirk yesterday against St Johnstone came second while Marc-Antoine Fortune rounded the three off, his goal, also against Motherwell, earning the accolade.

There wasn’t however any St Mirren presence in the Player of the Month award, Kris Boyd coming first with his four goals in four appearances. It’s a decent season so far for Boyd who has seven in ten league games. In second place was Killie’s Connor Sammon, the young striker also having scored four in four but coming second on the tiniest of average rating differences. Killie rounded the top three in fine form with Gavin Skelton’s busy scoring month seeing him ride into third.

Abbi van Beuren folded the newspaper up, chucking it across to Mark Nijholt, her journalist friend sitting right across from her. “She’s on fire this girl,” he responded as he quickly took in all the important information. “A four point lead in the SPL and her second Manager of the Month award? There aren’t that many people who have managed that with less than average teams.

She was given a massive kitty, probably even bigger than Celtic’s. The justified praise can only go her way when she manages it on a shoestring,” Abbi sighed. She was sat idly at her desk, the article in front of her staring with a renewed vigour. “And this article is struggling to come along.

Mark threw a pen across at her, “You’ll get it eventually. Though that has to be today as your husband wants it ready by tonight,” he said, nodding towards the office. Abbi sighed again.

I love him, but he’s getting on my nerves at the minute. It doesn’t help that the words just won’t come. He wants me to write this article bringing Tina down simply because she destroyed PSV in cup competition. How ridiculous is that?

That’s the male ego,” shrugged Mark.

A woman walked across and leant over the desk, “There is a man downstairs that would like to speak with you, but he has no appointment, what do you want me to do?

Abbi rolled her eyes, “Send him up, my last appointment didn’t turn up so it’s his lucky day.

The assistant nodded and hastily made her way down. A minute later the elevator pinged and a rather tall man stepped out, a folder under his left arm. He walked across to Abbi; no-one having actually signalled that she was the one he was after. “Mrs van Beuren, I have something you might wish to look over.

Abbi took hold of the folder he had offered out, but as she tried to take it he held on firmly. “What is your name?” she asked.

I’m Jefferis Papasthopolous, but that won’t matter to you once you peruse the contents of this,” he said calmly, tapping his index finger as he held on.

And what is in this folder?

Exactly what you’ve needed,” he replied, finally letting go. “Don’t misuse the gift bestowed upon you, Abbi.

Abbi looked down and opened it up, the first page a birth certificate. “Who does this belong to?” she asked, looking up.

There was no-one there anymore.

Monday 2nd November 2009

We do apologise for any inconvenient cause for concern the players may be having during this period,” said Gilmour as he sat with the rest of the board and Tina. It was the monthly meeting, and the general topic of conversation was of course the planned takeover. “As of yet there has been no progression over the new chairman.

Tina rolled her eyes, of course making sure no-one could see. “There is no unrest amongst the squad at the minute; we’re on cloud nine. But the problem I’m having is assuring myself that I’ll get a budget that can be relied upon for next season. We are in the early throes of attempting to break this hold that the Old Firm has on the SPL, and I am majorly concerned that should a new board take control then we are in trouble of regressing.

Gilmour nodded, accepting Tina’s concerns. Allan Marshall, a director, had been quiet throughout the whole meeting, taking information in and simply jotting it down. He finally piped up, “You spent just over two million on transfers this summer, there is no real need for spending more as of right now, surely?

There is no way of knowing, but I’m confident that any sustained success is going to require financial backing. That isn’t me being greedy, it’s just common sense.

This club, as much as people may want it to be, will never be a powerhouse. I respect the effort you are making with the players, but they must surely know that this fairytale will end? We can’t afford to bring more players in; the lure of Paisley just isn’t as high as Glasgow.

I’m actually disappointed with how you are being,” snapped Tina, finally coming to realise why she was generally quite pleased when he doesn’t speak. “Times are bound to change in football, not everyone has enjoyed sustained success since their inception. What is to stop us from making this one our time, and why do you seem so against it?

I’m just not one for stringing fans along.

If we’re done here, I have things to do,” she groaned, getting up with a nod of approval from Gilmour.

She made her way down to her office, sinking into the seat with a new found hatred for someone. She could feel the doubts nagging at her having heard what he had to say, even if they were ill-founded. What he said made sense; she just didn’t want to agree with him. Carlos Garcia knocking on her door broke her concentration on the previous fifteen minutes, “Come in,” she mumbled, quieter than she realised.

You alright?” he asked as he noticed the expression on her face, “You look a little flustered.”

I’m fine, just had a problem with those who sit above and judge. What can I do for you Carlos?

The Team of the Week has just been named, and thought you’d appreciate knowing that both Andy Dorman and Paul Wotton made it into the select eleven.

The information brought a smile to Tina’s face, something she had yet to experience today. “That is fantastic to hear. They both deserve it.”

There is however something we need to talk about, as much as it might be a sore topic for you.

Which is?

You need to get on with appointing an assistant manager, Tina. Me and the others are helping to fill in when needed but you need to fill the role. There are some things Valter was needed by you for, and you need to replenish that.

I know, it’s just going to be really hard. Valter is irreplaceable to me. People always look at me as the figure that helped to instigate this St Mirren success flight, when he was just as much the brains of it as I was. He didn’t get the recognition he deserved when he moved back home.

I know, and I’m sure that you will remember all that when we strive to finish the season where we are now. But for now you need that level head to keep you in check. So, get off your backside and go find him,” smiled Carlos, “Anyway, see you down at training.

I do like Andy, he is a solid midfielder. Cheers for looking in Dalbe.

Tuesday 3rd November 2009

There is to be a shake-up here,” said Tina, the backroom staff looking at her confused. “I’ve come to the conclusion that we need to bring in some new blood back here, which means that some of us are leaving. They know that I have enjoyed working with them during this, the clubs best period for many years.

Who is leaving?” asked Adriano Bonaluti.

Frazer Robertson, David Longwell and Andy Millen,” replied Tina coldly. It should have been obvious to those present considering that the three mentioned weren’t at this meeting. “Andy decided that if he wasn’t part of the coaching set up then he would also relinquish his playing contract, something I accepted in the process. Both Frazer and Longwell are leaving because I wish to bring in more experienced youth coaches to help develop the talent we have. All of you guys are part of my plans, especially considering I brought you two in just recently,” she said as she motioned to Carlos and Andy Williams.

And are you on track with appointing a new assistant manager?” asked Carlos.

Can we have a chat about that in a few minutes?” asked Tina. “I want you to know that you three are integral to my coaching team and I’m pleased to work with you.

Both Adriano and Andy smiled before leaving, Carlos standing up before being held back by Tina. “I want you to become my assistant manager from next season, Carlos,” she started, gauging his reaction. “But I personally don’t think you are ready just yet, especially with no real experience in that role. So I’ve contacted someone to bring in until the end of the season, someone you can learn from and eventually replace.

I’m actually flattered Tina,” he said. “What made you decide to offer it to me?

You’re tactical knowledge is impeccable, and I think having you close would be beneficial to the club and to both of our skill sets as a whole. You were right with what you said the other day about needing an assistant to hold me back in times of need, so I moved on that knowledge.”

Carlos smiled in response. “It’s a good job that I’d have said yes isn’t it? Especially considering how you’ve already decided on the whole thing.

It’s time for us to take charge of this club, because certain members above aren’t so keen on the idea of us becoming successful. So what do you say, is it a yes to standing by my side as we try to usher in a new period of SPL football? Or do I need to look for a new assistant again in July?

You had me at impeccable tactical knowledge.

There is one other thing.

Which is?

Whilst you are learning at the club, I want you to become my assistant at national team level for Wales.

The Spanish looked overwhelmed. Having only just secured a coaching role as his first staff job he was now being offered an assistant role at international level. “Of course I’d love to.

Tina smiled wholly, pleased at how things were turning out today. The three men who had left earlier had no problems with Tina’s decision, especially considering they were remnants of McPherson’s administration. “You don’t know how pleased that has made me.

Anyway,” asked Carlos, “Who was it that you are bringing in for the rest of the season?

You can find out tomorrow when he arrives. But I’ll say one thing; he is an absolute hero here in Paisley.

Paulo Nutini?” joked Carlos.

Very funny,” she remarked. “No, he isn’t famous for his music. More like for THAT nineteen seventy eight goal against Holland.

Got it in one you clever man!

Wednesday 4th November 2009

As Archie Gemmill strolled through the doors at the stadium entrance so early in the morning, there was already a growing crowd of people ready to welcome him. Archie had started his illustrious career with the Buddies, the midfielder having played sixty five matches for and notching nine goals in a generally injury plagued start. He signed for Preston North End in 1967 for £13,000.

The Paisley born former Scotland captain is 62 now, but he doesn’t look a day over 50. There was a sense of renewed vigour in the backroom, something Tina couldn’t help but be pleased with. Archie brought with him a massive wealth of experience and knowledge, not least whilst playing under the legendary Brian Clough at both Derby and Nottingham Forest. He doesn’t, however, have much management experience of his own. Some decent tournament performances whilst in charge of the Scotland youth sides got him noticed, but there has never been any doubt of his coaching ability. Clough saw something in him as a player and as a coach when he employed him at Forest in 1984.

Tina gave the Scotsman a massive hug as he came through the door, “It’s good to see you again Archie,” she said. He smiled in response, dropping a holdall down onto the floor.

I couldn’t turn down this opportunity in all truth,” he replied. He looked ready for action already, but that would surely be down to having coached youth sides.

This is your hometown club after all,” Tina finished for him.

He wandered around the foyer, “Well this is nice,” he said in awe as he looked around the St Mirren Park complex. “It’s no Love Street but it’s fantastic. What is the atmosphere like in the stadium?

The best I’ve experienced, though my view is most likely biased. At the moment it’s simply surreal, though I expect that is because we are top of the league.

Archie smiled, “Seeing St Mirren at the summit of the SPL isn’t something I expected to see this season. You’re doing fantastic things here.

Shame the board doesn’t see it your way,” mumbled Tina. “If you follow me I’ll take you up to your office,” she said, motioning for him to go in its general direction. It only took a minute to get there, but opening the door brought back memories of Valter lounging on his seat. The same seat was still there, and Archie could tell it weighed on Tina that he was no longer at the club. He was only a phone call away,

He was like your tutor, yes?” said Archie as he planted his bag on the desk.

I learnt all of the better parts of myself from Valter; he taught me many important things. That kind of support can’t be replaced wholly, but it can definitely be substituted,” said Tina with a smile. “I won’t lie; I’m looking forward to seeing what you bring to the club Archie.

To be asked to be part of something big here at the club is beyond anything I could have hoped for. Managing the Scottish youth sides was fantastic, but being part of the Buddies set-up while the club charge on at the top of the SPL is even better.

Then you’ve come at the right time. I do, however, have to ask about what we discussed regarding Carlos. He is eager to learn from you, so I just want to confirm you have no problem with him shadowing you still?

Things haven’t got that bad in my marriage yet to need a good looking Spanish chap hanging around,” he said jovially. “Nah, of course there is no problem with that. If he thinks he can learn from me, that’s fantastic.

Tina smiled, pleased at how ready and willing he had been to join the St Mirren set-up. He would be bringing so much to the table, and to have an experienced head watching over her once again allowed her to relax a little.

As for Archie, he was just enjoying looking around St Mirren’s facilities. He felt good to be home.

Thanks to tenthree for helping to write this article.

Thursday 5th November 2009

It’s funny how much difference a day can make. Carlos had brought the article to Tina, though she quickly wished he hadn’t.

The Truth About Powell

by Abbi van Beuren

Tina Powell has been known to stalk the touchline at St. Mirren Park with the ferocity of a lioness.

Urging her Saints into Europe this season, seemingly at times only by the force of her considerable will, Powell has earned a deserved reputation as the 'golden girl' of world football.

Yet the woman who now doubles as the new boss of the Wales national side has parlayed her reputation in other ways -- into a world dominated by males yet into which, on her personal side, no males need apply.

Surprised? There's a lot you probably don't know about Tina Powell -- until now.

Some of it is simply speculation. The tabloids have had their say – which means we think we know all there is to know. Yet there are those who are certain the ‘Golden Girl’ still has gilt-edged secrets in her closet.

It’s hard to fault Powell’s approach to her second managerial post with Saints, taking them to the summit of the SPL when most anticipated a relegation scrap for her charges. But, despite a plethora of ‘world football exclusives’, we don’t know the whole story about the woman herself.

She goes about her job with a modesty that has surprised many, for no other reason than it appears not to be false. So, this article will paint a full picture of the woman that many have grown to admire since she first arrived on the scene in July 2008.

She is a remarkable woman, this Tina Powell.

“Conventional Wisdom” states that Tina Powell was both on 12th June 1981 in Swansea. Don’t you believe it.

Kristina Powell was actually born in Berlin. This is information gleaned from an anonymous leaking of her birth certificate, giving her something in common with the President of the United States. At least her age has been correctly reported by the press.

But wait, as the saying goes … it gets better.

As you undoubtedly know, Tina’s father was former Wales manager Dick Powell. Or is that former Wales manager Dickson Bohl?

Wait, you ask … who’s he? Well, Dickson Bohl is Dick Powell. Or Dick Powell is Dickson Bohl.

The controversy stems from a dark day in the family’s history. Before Tina was born, Dickson Bohl was married to Jane Bohl – and that happiness meant everything to him.

Then, the dark day arrived.

The man who managed Union Berlin, Aberystwyth Town, Airbus and finally Wales learned that a German school headmaster had made sexual advances toward his wife. That headmaster wound up dead. The manager was implicated.

So, Dick Powell managed Wales. Dickson Bohl was a killer.

So much for the “Tina grew up in a perfect home” belief. To learn that the once-legendary Dick Powell was nothing more than a criminal of the most egregious kind is a kick in the gut. There is a consensus amongst sporting media that Powell/Bohl will be stripped of the posthumous Sports Personality he won, and we wouldn’t disagree with that. It simply isn’t deserved any more.

As we also all know, trouble followed Tina. We all know about her near-fatal shooting by the madman Bekim Cana in early 2009. Again, love played a part.

Once more, ‘conventional wisdom’ claims that Powell’s former lover, Cassie Frost, shot and killed the Albanian as things turned sour at Almondvale Stadium.

Yet, as we have noted before, conventional wisdom may well be for the birds.

Red-hot rumors – and again, we note that these are only rumors – abound that the shooter was actually Powell herself, fed up to the fingertips by Cana’s alleged sexual advances.

So, for all we know it’s perfectly plausible that both Tina and Dick Powell have killed someone – under quite different circumstances, but for the same general reason. And, no-one has forgotten the reports of another man leaving the stadium with a wounded leg at roughly the same time the shootings took place.

For a time after the shooting, Tina fought for life. After a lengthy and rather dicey recuperation period, she made a full recovery – enough to return to the touchline with renewed vigour.

She grabbed the St. Mirren job with both hands after Gus McPherson left, and has blossomed ever since, especially after securing the Wales job to perform in tandem with club duties.

Everything seems to have worked out nicely for the little Welsh girl from Berlin who had a pair of dysfunctional parents to raise her.

There’s more than meets the eye with Tina Powell. Despite what we’ve uncovered, we believe there’s more to learn. Of course, you’ll read it here.

This isn’t to criticize the body of her work; she is a fine manager getting her due on the pitch. Her success at club level and at international level speaks volumes for the skills she clearly has.

But something is amiss, and people deserve to know everything about the woman who leads their football team out every weekend. Stay tuned.

Carlos had left after giving her the magazine, something Tina was glad for as the tears rolled down her cheeks.

Cheers so much to the three of you. I apologise for sporadic updates but I'm still trying to forge a working pattern with my new job and all that!

Something snapped in Tina. She had every right to be angry, at least in her mind she did. At this precise moment she didn’t care what anyone else thought. “Who does that bitch think she is?” she yelled, Carlos and Archie both standing near the door in case they needed a quick exit.

She’s a reporter,” claimed Archie. “Many of them have always been vultures and always will be. The story is the most important thing to them, and they care not for how it makes others look. You just try and need to put it behind you.

She has just ripped into me and my family with absurd claims. There is nothing to do but smash her face in, something I’d take gladly to doing.”

And subsequently going to prison for,” said Carlos sarcastically. “Look, Archie is more than right on this one. You make a fair point, no-one should drag your family name through the dirt, especially when both are no longer alive, but we have a massive game on Saturday and we all need to be one thousand percent focused to try and get the job done.

Tina quietened down, but the anger was freely flowing through her veins. There was little that could be said to alleviate that, and they both knew it.

In the midst of what Tina had read about herself in the article, the news regarding the Scottish team in Europe had passed by unnoticed. Celtic had been in action the night before, welcoming Ajax to Celtic Park. Luis Suarez had put the visitors in front after just three minutes, but a superlative twenty minute comeback saw Marc Crosas, Scott McDonald and Marc-Antoine Fortune all find the net and put Celtic in the driving seat. The result stayed at 3-1, the three points helping Celtic to seal their place in the next round.

Well, I did some preliminary research last night regarding Rangers,” said Archie. Both he and Carlos were desperate to move the conversation on from Abbi. “They have conceded most of their goals between the first and fifteenth minute so far this season, and I think having the players roaring off the line from the off will give us a terrific chance of taking three points on Saturday. The liability to early goals should help us to build a base from, especially with so much riding on this fixture.

Tina turned from staring out of the window, her face now seemingly calm and attentive. “I came to the same conclusion whilst looking over some notes,” she replied. “We need to hit them hard and as quickly as possible.

Archie looked pleased that the general mood of the room had changed.

The arrival of Andres Scotti to Ibrox shored up a potentially leaky defence, with Sasa Papac failing to do his job last season. And with Weir hitting 39 in May there was only Lee McCulloch, Kirk Broadfoot and Madjid Bougherra at centre of the defence. The gamble to put faith in them by Stoichkov and worked as they had only conceded six in ten league games, two ahead of St Mirren with four. They’re also scoring handsomely, with Lafferty leading the charge on nine for the season.

There was however to be a problematic rumour occurring in the media today, and it involved a St Mirren player instead of a member of management. Mark Howard was the subject of several Championship clubs January budgets, notably Sheffield United, Reading and West Brom. There would most definitely be scouts from those clubs, and more, at the game on Saturday. A top performance from the man himself would see their interest surge, and that could turn out to hamper the club if they needed to rely on him.

I have to go pick up my son from his grandparents,” said Carlos as he checked his watch. “I shall see you both tomorrow.

Tina smiled. Children were another sore point in her life, for multiple reasons. “No problem, we’ll wrap up here and go home for the day. I could do with a glass of wine if I’m honest.

Just remember to put your entire mind into the game on Saturday. The boys need you more than ever, especially if the going gets tough against a superior side. Goodnight, Tina,” said Archie as he left with Carlos.

Tina sat in her chair and brought up her inbox. There was nothing new, but she clicked on ‘new’. She stared for a few moments, not sure on what to write. She then closed the line.

Revenge can wait; Rangers can’t.

Friday 6th November 2009

Tina sat in her office with a glass of wine and her laptop, most of the staff having already gone home by now. It had only just gone past seven, but she was in no desire to rush home when there was little to be there for. The office was nice and warm, and as she took off her shoes she lifted her legs up and onto the desk. It was so comfy in her mind, especially with her executive like chair providing reclining features. She perched the laptop on her lap and proceeded to read the scout report that had been filed, two days late, regarding Rangers.

Most of the content was common knowledge, but some recommendations came down from Archie and Carlos regarding key players too. The two that had been pinpointed were Kris Boyd and DaMarcus Beasley, not something new to Tina’s ears. She appreciated that the pair of them had taken the time to give something for her to read and take her mind off of yesterday. Every word that had been printed in that article was imprinted in her memory now, and the day would come when she could exact revenge for it. But as had been rightly pointed out it would need to wait for the moment.

To Tina’s surprise there was a knock on her door, and with only the night time receptionist still on duty she figured it had to be her. She was pleasantly surprised when a very attractive brunette was stood there, but looked a fool as she stood staring for a second too long. “Come in,” she finally said, dragging a seat from the corner for her to sit on.

My name is Lola Panić,” she said. Her English was good, but definitely tainted with an eastern European tinge. “I’ve come to you with a proposal.

Tina smiled at the young girl, “And what would that proposal be then?

Lola opened the shoulder bag she had been carrying and pulled a plastic wallet containing several sheets of paper. As she handed it across, Tina could see the words C.V. written across the top. The girl sat in front of her was here to give her a C.V., and judging by how many bags she had with her it seemed that she was just travelling around football clubs in an attempt to get a job. “And what if we aren’t looking to recruit any coaches?

Then you wouldn’t still be looking at my C.V.

The young girl sat nervously waiting to hear Tina’s verdict. She looked like a criminal in court to Tina, but she was also extremely good looking. The general consensus amongst people attracted to other people is that you can usually tell if the feelings are reciprocated. Tina felt like they were through her return looks, even if she did look mortified at the same time for a whole different reason.

The C.V. was actually pretty decent, with two years experience of fitness coaching in Spain after she finished her studies at the Catalan National Institute of Physical Education. The coaching experience came with Pontevedra before they let her go in July. “I just need another break,” said Lola in a desperate attempt to promote herself. “I’m sure you can understand what that might have been like. And I won’t lie, the idea of working with the most hotly followed woman in football is a damn exciting one,” she said with a cheeky smile. She had seemingly calmed herself down with flattery of the person she was there to impress, a move Tina was impressed with.

Well it just so happens that we are looking to take three coaches on in the next week or so,” started Tina, “But a fitness coach wasn’t one of them.

Lola nodded and her face took a saddened turn. “I understand.

That doesn’t mean, however, that I’m saying no. I’m the one who handles the fitness training at the moment, and to be quite honest, I’d like to take someone on who can learn a little more about the trade and then take over from me. You have some experience, Lola, but you were understudy to another fitness coach whilst in Pontevedra, weren’t you?

She nodded, feeling slightly ashamed at Tina haven’t noticed the hole in her C.V. “Yes, that’s pretty much true. I figured you wouldn’t take a chance if you knew though.

Well, Lola, it’s your lucky day. If you’d have come to me yesterday, I’d have sent you packing immediately. But as it stands, you can have one of the three coaching roles I’m looking to fill providing you show significant improvements to your approach to coaching by March. Lower league Spanish football is far different to the SPL, and that’s something you’ll need to learn quickly.

Lola couldn’t stop smiling, “Thank you so much.

You can stay the night in a hotel on the club, but you’ll need to begin looking quite quickly. I’d recommend starting tomorrow after me and the chairman draw up a contract for you.

I can’t thank you enough,” was the last thing she said before hurriedly escaping the office, almost like if she kept talking she would eventually wake up.

It wasn’t a dream, just a lucky day.

Saturday 7th November 2009, 3:00pm

Rangers vs. St Mirren

Ibrox

Scottish Premier League (11/38)

GK; Vincent Degre (14 apps, 0 goals)

DR; Diego Contento (10 apps, 0 goals)

DL; Michael Parkhurst (12 apps, 0 goals)

DC; Paul Wotton (11 apps, 4 goals)

DC; Malte Metzelder (4 apps, 0 goals)

DMC; Edgar Davids (9 apps, 0 goals)

MC; Hugh Murray (348 apps, 18 goals)

MC; Andy Dorman (68 apps, 17 goals)

AMC; Tom Brighton (10 apps, 3 goals)

ST; Febian Brandy (13 apps, 7 goals)

ST; Edixon Perea (17 apps, 7 goals)

SUBS; Mark Howard, John Potter, Darren Cowan, Alejandro Caiaffa, Ricardo Vaz Te, Aaron Wildig, Ciro Immobile

The players had been quite surprised at the arrival of a new fitness coach, more so after only just being told that Tina was expecting to continue duties in that field for the foreseeable future. Lola had settled nicely on her first day, the players teasing her for her rough English that still held the tints of Serbian and Spanish that flowed through her veins. And Tina still found herself staring a second too long on occasion.

Carlos was in conversation with Hugh Murray as the players warmed up, though about what Tina could only imagine. Hugh is the current vice-captain, though he exerts much more swagger in the dressing room than captain Wotton. Both are loud characters and in all honesty they seemed to perform the captain duties as equals. Lola was putting the players through some final fitness tests before the final announcement for the sides was required. There wasn’t anything that would change Tina’s mind, barring injury of course.

Lola,” shouted Tina, the fitness coach jogging over almost instantly. “If you put them through one final run and then inform me of any problems that may surface.

The Serbian nodded and returned to the players, immediately ushering them into a final lap of the pitch. They all looked hungry to play and as fit as a fiddle. As Tina looked around herself she could see the fans beginning to flow into the seats. Ibrox was an intimidating stadium, and Tina simply wasn’t relishing the match. A win for either side would dramatically change the fortunes at the top of the table, and both managers knew that.

Stoichkov had spoken publicly about his teams need to cut the gap at the top to just a point, and in doing so knock St Mirren off the form they are on. Tina had issued a simple reply; we won’t lie down and accept defeat. The press conference from earlier in the day had seen the media comment non-stop on the article referring to her father and the issue of her upbringing. Many had now taken to calling her Kristina, something she had banned within her own dressing room. Not one utterance had evolved over the article from her own people, something she was pleased about. They cared for her, and most would protect her on a whim.

As almost half of Ibrox now had fans sitting down, Tina called an end to the pre-match activities. She called all the players together and they sat on the grass, waiting intently for the words they longed to hear. Words can be so powerful, as proved in history, but on a football pitch they can be even more so. Say the right words to the right man and he can propel himself to new heights, while people must also avoid it going the other way and ruining everything.

Today we face what I believe is our first real test. Ibrox will not accept you and it will not care for you today. You will get dragged down by the fans, even more so if they find themselves in full chorus. But one thing, the only thing, I want you to do is give one hundred percent. At the end of the day, no matter on the outcome, you can only give that much. We don’t need none of this b*llshit that other managers use about giving a thousand percent or more. You can only give a hundred, and if you do that, we will come out of this with our heads ever more in the clouds. But that task lies with you on this field,” she said, calmly but with so much fervour that you could sense she would settle for nothing less.

Today St Mirren met Rangers, and Ibrox would either see an unprecedented seven point gap to the top or it would see a tight battle emerge once more for top spot. One thing is for sure; it won’t be Celtic at the top of the SPL by the end of next week.

As the teams lined up, it was a real surprise to see Stoichkov going with a completely untested 3-5-2 formation, with only Scotti, Weir and Bougherra in the defence. The midfield was very well stocked though, and that gave Tina some cause for concern. The largely untried Toti got his second start up front with Boyd, the absence of Lafferty a real mystery. Nobody could work out whether he was writing St Mirren off or simply underestimating them.

The passing from St Mirren from the offset was absolutely delicious to watch, Rangers simply not getting to grips with the tempo of the game from the whistle. A wonderful move, started by Brandy, ended with Perea getting on the end of his threaded through ball. He couldn’t get his shot on target though, the lumbering frame of Scotti off-putting the striker as he set up to pull the trigger.

Tina was pleased with the start her players had made, and as far as the ninth minute Rangers had yet to even venture into their attacking half. Perea won a corner with a decent run, Brighton whipping it in with some real pace. It ended with Davids taking a shot that went absolutely nowhere but Weir’s behind, Murray then playing in Brandy. The assistants flag went up, something Brandy looked relieved with as he shot straight at McGregor.

The lack of pace in the Rangers’ three man defence cost them on more than one occasion, and as Perea came up against Weir in a chase for a long ball, only one man would win. The Colombian broke away from his aged competitor and squared it for Dorman, the midfielder side footing past McGregor with a simple on touch finish to put the visitors in front. Tina went mad on the sidelines, and even Gemmill managed a jump in the air.

To hold a one goal lead after just fourteen minutes at Ibrox meant so much to the players, but even more so the people sat in the technical area. Stoichkov however was less than impressed, his yelling of instructions in an angry tone indicative of that. It can’t be denied how decent Rangers were when they did have the ball, it just didn’t seem to happen all that much. Maurice Edu took the ball out to the right and floated a cross in for Toti, the cross itself coming back off the bar and rolling away for Murray to clear. It was a heart in mouth moment, despite being nothing than a fluke.

They created their first chance twenty eight minutes in after finally finding some rhythm, though the chance was only a half one. Beasley floated a freekick in from about forty yards, Boyd rising above Metzelder to get his head on it. The effort was directionless and sailed harmlessly over the bar, something the German looked more than happy about after being bested by Boyd.

The boys in blue did eventually find the net, but not without acrimonious circumstances. A cross from Davis flew past the box without any trouble, but when Beasley took a shot from just outside the area, Boyd was in an offside position. He allowed the shot to pass through his legs, Degre standing no chance as it trickled past him just down to his right. He was incensed that Boyd had blocked his vision from an offside position and immediately took up the problem with the referee. “Come on, surely that can’t count!” yelled Tina as Ibrox rocked with cheering. It quickly turned to boo’s when the referee disallowed the goal for offside on Boyd.

Stoichkov continued his tirade against the officials as the game reconvened, fourth official James Courtney getting rather fed up quickly of his yelling. It took intervention from his assistant to finally calm him down. The Rangers that had been playing before the incident quickly disappeared though as they began to go in much harder on St Mirren. Davis quickly picked up a yellow card for a rough challenge on Contento.

The shift in attitude helped them as they poured forward for an equaliser just before half time, Edu breaking down the right before crossing into the centre of the box. Boyd met it full on with some real power, Degre tipping it over the bar with an instinctive save. One minute of injury time was announced as the corner spooned over the whole box, Toti following up with a shot that most certainly landed in row Z.

There was little to be happy about if you’re a Rangers fan, but the away section well into half time as the whistle finally went. Iain Brines looked relieved to be getting a break, the Rangers players still pestering him regarding the goal as they stormed down the tunnel. Tina followed her players down, who were doing as she asked and not rising to the continuing taunts of cheats from Rangers players.

Malte Metzelder knew his game was up when he got into the dressing room, Potter already beginning to dress ready for it. Contento was being nursed by Mairi and checked on by Lola, something he looked genuinely pleased about. “Rangers are going to hack at us for the next forty five minutes. They now have a bee in their bonnet, and we all know how they react to that. They’ve had a goal disallowed, rightly of course, and now will seek retribution. Allow them to hack you down, but don’t play for it. If they want to go right ahead and foul us, they can, because it won’t get them anywhere. We’re on top here and if they think we don’t believe in ourselves, they will punish us. This is all set up for us to charge on ahead, so let’s not waste this perfect opportunity.

The consensus was that Contento was fine enough to play on, the rash challenge from Davis having only knocked the wind out of him a little bit. The second half would see Brighton switch to the left side of midfield and Murray to the right, with Davids and Dorman forming the centre. The striker-come-winger had failed to make an impact in the attacking midfield role in the first half, and Tina hoped it would suit him better.

He made an instant impression as he bombed down the left with Bougherra hot on his trail. The cross was much better than expected as it pinpointed Murray on the edge of the area. All he had to do was hit the target and St Mirren would likely be home and dry. He fired over though, and what could possibly have been a very important goal had passed by. He looked very disappointed with himself, Tina hoping that he didn’t let it affect his game too much.

Contento continued to be targeted by the Rangers midfield, this time Pedro Mendes hacking him down from behind after almost breaking past the veteran Portuguese midfielder. It rightly earned him a yellow, Stoichkov also not too happy with the decision. The sunshine returned to cover the stadium with warmth, rare for November in Scotland, even rarer for Scotland in general.

The game struggled to set alight the fans imagination though and it was beginning to grate on the Rangers fans with their side being the one currently losing. Beasley winning a freekick on the edge of the right hand side of the area sparked a frenzy of excitement, and when he picked out Bougherra people yelled for him to shoot. Degre met the shot with a stunning save that surprised everyone, then following it up with a super double save from both Boyd and Mendes. The pressure was mounting but when substitute Lafferty fired over it gave the Buddies a resting period.

Four minutes later and it was McGregor’s turn to wow the crowd with a super save from a Brandy effort that was richly heading towards the top left corner. The keeper met it superbly, the build up play deserving of a goal had he not been there to prevent it. Degre smacked the ball back up towards the goal and it sparked yet another chance, Perea bringing McGregor out before centering it for Brighton. He should have hit first time, but his first touch allowed McGregor back into contention for a save, and he did just that by palming Brighton’s shot wide.

It had been another chance that would surely have seen the game end in St Mirren’s favour, but as it stood they still needed that second goal. Rangers looked more confident of an equaliser as it wore on. Lafferty could have had it had Degre been off form, but the Frenchman was marking his return to first team action with a stomping display as he yet again palmed over the bar from close range.

Edgar Davids was enjoying a quiet, if not unspectacular game, up until the moment he brought down McMillan with a reckless tug of the shirt. “He should know better,” snapped Tina as the yellow emerged from the referee’s pocket. That would also see the end of both Brighton’s games as Tina got Vaz Te ready to replace him.

The chances were beginning to tally up for Rangers, Boyd wasting yet another one as he found ample time and space on the edge of the area. He dragged his shot wide of Degre’s goal and incurred the wrath of his boss in the process. Stoichkov was getting more and more animated in his technical area, Tina now having sat down to try and seem calm as her team attempted to grind out this game to keep it 1-0.

They were riding their luck though, and it was beginning to mount too much. Degre was performing miracles still as he kept out a Lafferty shot, but an Edu effort from outside the area clipped Scotti on the head and went the other way. Degre had no chance to do anything about it, but it hit the bar and somehow stayed out. A corner was oddly awarded, but it amounted to nothing as Brandy headed away.

Twelve minutes to go. Dorman made life much more difficult when he gave away a freekick in a tough position to defend, and in turn acquired a yellow. A great amount of luck was beginning to fall on St Mirren as the ball once again ricocheted off the woodwork, Degre helping it on its way. Rangers looked to be growing in confidence, something Tina didn’t want to see but also couldn’t prevent.

Four minutes to go. Having already wasted two glorious chances to take victory another was missed as Wotton received the ball on the edge of the area. He only had to fire it goalwards but he skied it, much to the chagrin of everyone in the box who was either better placed or marked by players that weren’t going to come after him.

And then the inexplicable occurred. Scotti was racing with Vaz Te and the race ended in the box with the defender bringing down the former Bolton man. In all honestly it didn’t look like a penalty, but Brines gave it and there was the perfect chance to put the game out of contention. McGregor tried his damned hardest to put Wotton off as he sought to make amends for his awful miss just minutes before, and when the ball hit the back of the net, the away stand roared to life.

Yes!” yelled Tina as she jumped into the arms of Archie.

Stoichkov cut an isolated figure on the sidelines as the away contingent cheered, and there was nothing left for him to do. No-one remembered what happened in those final two minutes, and to be honest, not one fan cared.

Rangers 0

St Mirren 2 (Dorman 15, Wotton pen91)

Attendance: 50,203

MOTM: Vincent Degre

• 4 weeks later...

Cheers Chester. Now, let's get this show back on the road!

The early kickoff of the week was the infamous Edinburgh derby, Hibernian travelling to Hearts’ Tynecastle Stadium for the first of the season. It started poorly for Hibs after just eight minutes when David Obua struck with a long range effort. It failed to get better one minute in the second half when Marius Zaliukas headed in from five yards after a calamity in the area. John Hughes and his players had to endure the taunts of the home fans from that point on, and it turned embarrassing when even Christian Nade netted three minutes from time. The result helps Hearts leapfrog their rivals, something that will please both the fans and Csaba Laszlo alike.

Celtic could have done themselves a massive favour in their chase of Rangers and St Mirren, notably the former, as they travelled to play Steffi’s Falkirk. Things started sourly for the boys in blue when Danny Fox poked home the opener after just four minutes, but an almost instant reply from Alex McDonald saw the game levelled up quickly. From there it was a real slugfest in midfield, something that neither team could overcome. The late sending off for Stephen McManus did Celtic no favours at all, but Falkirk failed to take advantage as the game ground out at 1-1.

Basement, and now looking very troubled, side Hamilton played host to Motherwell at New Douglas Park, but they’d probably wished they hadn’t. Ross Forbes opened the scoring with a header and then doubled the lead with a fizzing drive from just outside the area. The first half completely wrote off Hamilton when Stephen Craigan headed in just before the whistle. They fared no better as they were outclassed over every inch of the pitch, Mustapha Oussalah netting one minute into the second period. The scoring finished when John Sutton notched the fifth, and Hamilton did everything in their power to keep it at that. They managed it, but Billy Reid will still be fuming with how poor Hamilton look right now and how unlikely it is that they will get out of the trouble they are in.

Aberdeen continued their fine run of form with a resounding and comfortable victory over St Johnstone, McInnes’ having to watch his side be dismantled in the early stages of the game. Chris Maguire struck the Dons ahead with a super finish from outside the area after just four minutes, and fans had to wait until the second half for the net to ripple again. Gary McDonald misjudged the flight of one of the shots from Michael Higdon, the ball skewing past Langfield and in to level the tie. It only took two minutes for Lee Miller to head in the second Dons goal, and twelve minutes later Maguire finished the game off with a freekick of majestic proportions. Mark McGhee had got his players operating superbly at the moment, evident by their being second in the league.

The final game of the day saw Dundee United travel to Kilmarnock in an attempt to pick up a simple three points, and they got what they wanted when Danny Swanson found the back of the net after twelve minutes, linking on to some delicious Shala play. The 8,000 capacity crowd were extremely pleased when Danny Invincible popped up with a toe poke to level the tie, but they held on to it for less than seven minutes when Andis Shala got what his performance had deserved with a powerful headed goal. Swanson, currently being trailed by Celtic, finished the tie off with long range drive that left Killie keeper Alan Combe with no chance of stopping. Swanson is looking a real player, and at just twenty two, is attracting all the suitors a player of his calibre should.

| Pos   | Inf   | Team          |       | Pld   | Won   | Drn   | Lst   | For   | Ag    | G.D.  | Pts   | 
[color=#008000]| ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| 
| 1st   |       | St. Mirren    |       | 11    | 9     | 1     | 1     | 23    | 4     | +19   | 28    | 
| ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| [/color]
| 2nd   |       | Aberdeen      |       | 11    | 7     | 1     | 3     | 14    | 8     | +6    | 22    | 
| ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| 
| 3rd   |       | Rangers       |       | 11    | 6     | 3     | 2     | 18    | 8     | +10   | 21    | 
| ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| 
| 4th   |       | Celtic        |       | 11    | 5     | 4     | 2     | 13    | 8     | +5    | 19    | 
| 5th   |       | Dundee Utd    |       | 11    | 4     | 4     | 3     | 12    | 10    | +2    | 16    | 
| 6th   |       | Motherwell    |       | 11    | 4     | 2     | 5     | 15    | 14    | +1    | 14    | 
| 7th   |       | Hearts        |       | 11    | 4     | 2     | 5     | 8     | 8     | 0     | 14    | 
| 8th   |       | Kilmarnock    |       | 11    | 4     | 0     | 7     | 13    | 16    | -3    | 12    | 
| 9th   |       | Hibernian     |       | 11    | 3     | 3     | 5     | 12    | 15    | -3    | 12    | 
| 10th  |       | Falkirk       |       | 11    | 3     | 3     | 5     | 8     | 18    | -10   | 12    | 
| 11th  |       | St. Johnstone |       | 11    | 2     | 3     | 6     | 10    | 25    | -15   | 9     | 
[color=#ff0000]| ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| 
| 12th  |       | Hamilton      |       | 11    | 0     | 4     | 7     | 1     | 13    | -12   | 4     | 
| ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| [/color]

Sunday 8th November 2009

There is the general consensus that Sunday is the most boring day of the week. Tina found herself agreeing on this particular occasion, having made the unwise decision to go into Paisley to sort out the contract of Lola and run it by Gilmour. There was a lethargic feeling doing the rounds throughout the stadium, something Tina couldn’t understand following yesterday’s absolutely massive win over Rangers. Having finally drawn up the contract for Lola, she faxed it up to the higher powers. Lola would be extremely surprised with what she was going to be offered, and that isn't pertaining to just money.

Tina relaxed into her chair, a Greggs sandwich lulling her in to a false sense of hunger. She hadn’t eaten since last night, and her stomach wasn’t impressed with that. “Alright,” she said to herself, conceding defeat to her body. She opened the packet and took a bite, relishing the taste of ham and cheese. But as is always the way in her office, it wasn’t quiet for long. The knock on the door never came, but a French accent did.

I am extremely sorry to intrude, but the receptionist sent me up and there doesn’t seem to be anyone else around outside of this office,” said the woman at the door, her auburn hair dripping wet from the November weather outside.

Tina smiled, “It isn’t a problem, and I was only having a bite to eat anyway. What can I do for you?

My name is Rosalie Henin, and I’m a representative of Vannes Olympique Club.

Tina sat up straight, concern and intrigue etching across her face. “And what can I do for you on this wet, dull Sunday? An unexpected visit from a club representative has set alarm bells ringing in my head, especially when the visit is unannounced.

Rosalie smiled, “It is just some preliminary interest on our behalf, don’t worry.

Why have you avoided my original question?” inquired Tina. She was desperate to get to the real reason, never having been one for waiting.

There is plenty of time for that,” joked Rosalie. “The weather outside is absolutely horrific, but I wondered if you would like to go for a drink. Nothing funny, just two people going for a friendly chat about football and footballing matters.

Tina rolled her eyes, “Where have I heard that before? Listen, I’d appreciate it much more if you were just honest as to why you are here.

I will tell you over a drink, but firstly we just need to chat. There isn’t any harm in that right?

Alright, you’ve twisted my arm. But I haven’t eaten either, so you can treat me to a Sunday lunch at a pub, how about that for a counteroffer?

You’re ever bit the person I knew you would be. And every bit the manager it seems,” she said, gazing around the office. “I saw your result yesterday, you’re getting noticed by a lot of people all over the globe.

Regardless of who is noticing me, I’m with St Mirren.

We also know that there is the potential for recruitment when the new board eventually takes over the club. Where would that leave you?

At this exact moment I’ve no idea. And as things stand currently, I shouldn’t worry about my job. The boys and I are doing well.

It’s been known that good is sometimes just not enough. But for now, how about that Sunday lunch you mentioned? I wouldn’t mind a bite to eat myself, and a beer wouldn’t go a miss.

Tina smiled at Rosalie, still feeling interest and intrigue at this attractive French woman. “Let me get my coat then. But firstly, why are you really here? I know it isn’t to take me out for lunch.

Because Vannes OC are looking for a new manager, and Michel Jestin wants you to be that person, Tina. Like I said before, you are on everybody’s radar now. You don’t start like you have and not get noticed.

oooh, an intiguing offer...... good work Gav, I don't know which way Tina will jump ( I think I know which way I'd like her to jump, but I think you know that too, and you might be wanting to blindside us.....)..

Bring me more of this ! and do it soon !

Cheers chester. :thup:

As the food arrived at the table, Tina took the chance to survey her surroundings. Rosalie was absently looking out of the window, her face full of thought. The wine in her glass had hardly been touched, but she took a fair swig from it when the dishes were laid in front of her. “You seem rather withdrawn, which is odd when you consider how forward you were earlier.

Lost deep in thought,” she joked in response. “This food looks really good. Do you come here often?

Every now and then, it provides a great place to eat and give you some alone time. I regularly hide from the riff raff in here,” smiled Tina. Her face turned a little forlorn when she considered what it was she had regularly hidden from, “Which, when you look at it, turns out to be a real boat load of trouble I’ve hidden from.”

Rosalie nodded, knowing all too well what had gone on in Tina’s past. Unlucky was an overwhelming understatement, but things had begun looking up for her up to the point when Gilmour announced his intended leaving of the club. “You certainly don’t look like someone who has seen as much as you have. People in that instance usually take on a bedraggled appearance.

Mascara does its best to hide that,” joked Tina. “The truth is that I can cope with so many things without having people around me, at least in a close capacity. It’s when people get close to me that I turn into something else, something not so strong and not so trusting of herself. I can’t explain it really. I’ve been like that since I was a teenager.

You’ll figure it out over time, that’s part and parcel of the life experience. At least until that point you can attempt new things, such as, perhaps, managing Vannes OC?”

The pair laughed, and for a few minutes they sat and enjoyed the food in front of them. Tina broke the silence with a question that had been bugging at her since first meeting this mysterious woman, “So tell me a little about yourself, seeing as you know all about me I feel a slight disadvantage.

There isn’t that much to know in all honesty. I was born in Bordeaux thirty years ago, moved to Vannes when I was twelve and lived there ever since. And without sounding boring, that really is my life story.

Tina smiled; pleased to know she potentially lived just as humbly as the woman sitting in front of her. “And what about your personal life? There is always a story to be found there, always.

Never been lucky in that area I’m afraid, and being in the job I’m in, the frequent travelling never gives me the chance to hold a relationship down for too long. It’s a shame, but a necessary requirement.

That is no way to live your life!” exclaimed Tina. “You should always be taking chances, living life to the full.”

I do that, of course I do, but getting attached just isn’t an option. There would be too much trouble if I was heavily involved with anyone.

I can understand that,” she nodded in response before giving the food another few minutes. Tina wanted to ask one certain question to Rosalie, but everytime their eyes met it put her off. Eventually she restarted the conversation, something Rosalie looked pleased with. “One thing is still bugging me, Rosalie. Why are you sat here with me right now? You say it's for Vannes et cetera, but I just can't fathom why if they already believe me to be good enough in their eyes.

Just getting to know what kind of person you are. There are some people back in Vannes, who are expecting me to provide them with a report tomorrow, so getting to know you is the key to this whole thing here.

And there was me hoping you were the one wanting to get to know me, and not just the club,” Tina joked, hoping to garner a response out of her.

Rosalie winked from across the table, “And how do YOU know that it wasn’t for both?

Monday 9th November 2009

Stories had broken in the morning regarding Vannes attempting to make an approach for Tina amidst a brief meeting between an official of the club. It would have been simple to expect any other, normal chairman to be incensed about it; but not Gilmour.

I know that no harm was meant by it,” he said, something visibly affecting him, something that he refused to share.

I didn’t do anything wrong,” claimed Tina. She was right, too. “She just took me out for something to eat, and as you know me, she was worth accepting for.

Gilmour smiled, the understanding between the pair looking older than the few months they had been together in their roles. “The thing is, Tina, something is happening above me that, come next week I won’t be able to control or protect you from.

You say that like it is going to be the end of our relationship at the club Stewart.

The chairman shifted uncomfortably in his seat, “That’s exactly what I’m saying. The club takeover is moving on considerably quicker than expected and I will not be in this office come the end of the week. After that I simply cannot advise you on what is safe and what is not here in Paisley. That will almost certainly include your job.

I just can’t grasp why,” said Tina. “I’ve taken the side to the top, made them look like a real threat. And now the real threat is to my own job; it simply isn’t fair.”

I don’t know either but for some reason a couple of heads above have suddenly decided that they aren’t wholly behind you. They seem to be acting like puppets now, for what I can only imagine is to garner more money from the takeover process.

Has there been any more on who actually will be buying the club?

Gilmour shifted uneasily once more. “Yes, but you aren’t going to be happy. What you have to know is that I did everything I could to prevent it from happening, but the other board members were sucked in by the cash he had on show.”

Tina wanted to press Gilmour some more but refrained as Allan Marshall knocked on the door. He, at first, failed to notice Tina sat in the corner and began speaking to Gilmour. “Stewart, we’re ready to finalise the deal now...” he said before realising, “Oh, hello there Tina. Good to see you as always,” he said through gritted teeth.

You too, Allan,” she replied with a slight snarl to her voice. “Don’t worry; I won’t get in the way of anything you have to say to Stewart, we’re all involved here.

Marshall gave her the dirtiest look possible. Gilmour nodded at him, and the conversation resumed. “Well, the takeover board are present and ready upstairs and all we need are the final signatures before we’re out of the club.”

Tina sat up, “It’s gone that far already? Why wasn’t I aware that the club is switching hands today?

Marshall smiled to himself, having finally gotten one over Tina in their battle. “You aren’t the be all and end all of this club. You can be replaced just like that, something the new owners may want to do come to think of it. Anyway, Stewart, your presence is requested upstairs.

The chairman nodded and got up out of his seat, “Go ahead, I won’t be a minute here.

The director snarled once more in Tina’s direction before leaving the office. “Tina, you aren’t going to like what I’m about to tell you. James Rodwell has purchased almost all of the director’s shares in the club. The only two people left are me and Ken McGeoch, who hasn’t arrived yet.

You have got to be kidding!” she yelled in response. That itself should have made it clear how she felt towards Rodwell. “Why is this happening? Why is he now so interested in running a club?

I don’t know, Tina, but you can stop this from happening.”

And how am I going to do that?

Ambush McGeoch in the car park and find a way to purchase his nine percent of shares, using these documents, before they meet up,” he said as he handed them over. “If you can get them then you and I will own fifty two percent of the club. Rodwell won’t be the controlling stake.

Tina needed no second asking and bolted from the room. It was a race against time.

You’re too late,” said McGeoch. “I can appreciate the effort, but Rodwell made sure that I signed the preliminary papers before I left last night. I’m ever so sorry, Tina, but he now already owns the majority shares in the club. There is nothing you or Stewart can do.

Tina slumped against McGeoch’s BMW door, her head a whirlwind of disappointment and anger. Rodwell had beaten her again and it was beginning to turn into a nasty habit. “Don’t worry about it,” she mumbled before wandering back into the stadium. McGeoch followed her in, giving her a solemn and sorry stare before heading upstairs to the conference room. She was tempted to follow him up but she just couldn’t calm herself down. She took her phone out and sent a text message to Rosalie.

Gilmour met with McGeoch before the pair entered the conference room upstairs, “I just had an interesting talk with Tina,” he said, Gilmour’s hand on the handle of the door.

Did it work?

You’re too late I’m afraid. Rodwell has already purchased my shares; I don’t know why he hasn’t have told you that.

Because he is a conniving *****,” snapped Gilmour before pulling the lever and entering. Three men were sat round the table that he didn’t know, with the other two being Allan Marshall and Rodwell himself. “I’ve decided that I won’t be selling my shares to you, James,” he said in an assertive tone. Rodwell stared at him, not one sign of care on his face.

Don’t be a fool, Stewart. This club is an absolute goldmine for money and for the peanuts I’m paying I’m in quite a good mood. But to then here that you, the man wanting to sell in the first place, are having second thoughts, well frankly I’m hurt. I thought we had a deal.

That was right up until I released what a stupid decision it would be to place you in charge of anything other than the sorry excuse for a life you currently preside over. I don’t like you, James, and you know that and I simply won’t sell this club to a wolf like you.

Rodwell remained unfazed, “Then maybe I should go and see how your twenty year old daughter is? Last I heard was that she is a real beauty.

You stay away from my daughter and my family,” snapped Gilmour. “You go near them and I will...” he started before getting cut off.

You’ll do what? Are you threatening me, Stewart? I would think twice over such action, especially when I know your daughters whole routine, and that of your wife too. She’s playing tennis right now, correct? It’d be awful for her to come home with an injury, don’t you think?

Please, don’t hurt anyone. I’ll sign the f*cking papers and leave, just don’t threaten my family,” he mumbled. He snatched the papers from across the desk, scribbling his name into the correct places and throwing them back at Rodwell.

It’s been a pleasure doing business with you Stewart, and no hard feeling yes?

The now former St Mirren chairman stormed out of the office, followed moments later by McGeoch. Allan Marshall smiled at Rodwell, “And there we have it. You now own ninety five percent of the club.

I think you mean one hundred, my friend,” replied Rodwell calmly, sliding over one final set of papers. “I’d highly recommend you sell your shares too. You’re a slimy character, Marshall, who deserves no place within my business,” he continued, motioning for his bodyguard to ensure he did sign them over.

Are you alright?” Gilmour asked as he emerged into the lobby. Tina was still sat down in the reception area, her eyes closed.

I’m fine, I’m fine.

You don’t look it,” he said, concern etched across his face.

I said I’m fine! Just leave me alone, Stewart. You’ve messed everything up by selling to that weasel!” she yelled.

Gilmour said nothing. He got up and walked out of the stadium, desperate to get home and check on his family. Tina continued with her struggle to calm herself down, a text back from Rosalie taking her mind off it temporarily. It contained only one word and a kiss on the end.

Diazepam x’

Tuesday 10th November 2009

During the whole takeover process the basis of the club, football, has simply been forgotten. Many had failed to notice that once again Edixon Perea had been left out of the Colombia squad. Eduardo Lara has publicly spoken out about how Edixon is playing below his level in Scotland now, something Tina found herself disagreeing with. The fact he was struggling to get goals was testament to Tina’s point. Edixon was the perfect SPL player regardless of what Eduardo says. When he starts hitting the back of the net every week there is no doubt he will change his mind.

But until that time Edixon is disappointed and feels like he is letting himself down. If that spills onto the pitch during his club performances then there could be a major problem. It was one that Tina didn’t want, but as of right now, bigger things were afoot. The takeover of the club had ‘gone smoothly’ according to the press, and the new owners were prepared to initiate some money saving techniques in order to make the club as profitable as possible. That is where Edixon features once more, his valuation sitting around the million pound mark. To sell him off for that price would see a profit on the price paid; something the new money hungry board would certainly be happy with. Tina was confident she wouldn’t see a penny paid back into the clubs transfer kitty.

Rodwell had asked Tina to come up to his office to meet the new board members, an invitation she wished she could have spat back in his face. As it stood, she needed to keep these men from sacking her within an instant. She couldn’t explain a certain feeling she was getting though, one that told her Rodwell wanted to keep her around or risk losing his prize asset. She knocked on the door, the heads all turning at once. To anyone else it would have looked like something out of the wild, the hunters surveying their prey.

Good afternoon, Tina. Please, take a seat,” he said, pointing towards one of two spare seats over on the far side of his enormous desk. She did as instructed and waited for Rodwell to take his eyes from off some files in his hands.

It says here that Stewart gave you a transfer kitty that was way over what the club could afford, Tina. What was the reasoning behind that?

Tina was taken aback with the question, but quickly resolved herself to avoid looking like a fool. “That decision was taken by the previous board, nothing on my behalf.

Interesting. Anyway, let us get right to the heart of this meeting. These are the new board members of the club. The rough looking gentleman to your right is Khairul Rusoff, a half Russian-half Mongolian businessman. He is sat next to Theodore Bagwell, an English entrepreneur with ties to telecoms and weapons contractors. The final, on the far end of the table, is Halimander Santamas. He... gets things done for people. Anyway, these are the people, along with myself of course, that you need to stay on the good side of. Any questions?

Tina shook her head, Rusoff eyeing her up in a rather perverted way. “No questions at all,” was all she said in response.

Rodwell smiled broadly, “Well that is excellent then!

Is that all?” asked Tina.

Yes, that is all. As for these, Tina, consider it your first official warning. You over spent in the transfer window, and that cannot be tolerated under the new board. We will be looking to make St Mirren a money making enterprise for all involved, and that, possibly may involve two things.

And they would be?

The departure of Edixon Perea for a million pound transfer fee. I know for certain that clubs are interested and if we can garner that kind of money, I’ll be a happy chairman. He’s unhappy here, and is international career is stalling. It’s the wisest decision for him right now.

Tina had no response for what Rodwell was saying, for as much as she hated it, it was pretty close to the truth. “And the second thing?

Vannes OC want permission to talk with you over taking the managerial role. We have offered them that permission.

Why!?

Because they agreed to pay a one million fee to get you. As I said, Tina, it’s all about the money now and you are just as profitable as the players,” he said, a sly smile curling from the corner of his mouth. Tina stormed out of the office and slammed the door behind her. She propped herself up against the wall, the diazepam in her pocket offering her a way out of the anxiety that was beginning to take hold of her.

Cheers very much Mark. Let's quickly debunk your theory, Jops. Cassie, yes, was gay but Abbi was not. And then there is Rosalie, who as of yet, I have not divulged if she is or not. That, to me, does not speak 'all female characters Tina meets are gay'. Also, these characters have all seeked Tina out first, something that I would describe as that because her sexuality is of constant interest to the press people easily know which sex she prefers to go for. Thank you for your time.

Wednesday 11th November 2009

There was a surprise to all present at St Mirren Park when the announcement of a transfer was made by the clubs officials. The whole thing was orchestrated by Rodwell, and must surely have been planned for when he came into power. It’s always nice when a player arrival surprises the fans, but when it surprises the manager there is a lot to be worried about.

What on earth are you doing, James?” asked Tina. The chairman was sat at his computer desk, not even turning to welcome Tina into his office or speak to her face. “Why have you signed a player for the club without consenting me?

He is an excellent player, brought to my attention by a friend of mine, and as such I couldn’t help but take advantage of his contract ending. Sogndal were pleased to do business, and as a consequence I’ve signed you a potentially super player. I might not be a manager, but surely there isn’t anything bad within what I’ve done?

You’ve meddled into things that should concern me and only me. I choose the players I want to sign, the players I want in my team. That is MY job, and when you begin to take that away from me, it leaves me feeling a little confused over my job role.

All I did was provide you with a player that I believe will be a star in the team. There is nothing wrong in that, surely?” he said, smiling to himself.

He’s a central midfielder, James. We have plenty of those at the club who have been doing the best job possible so far this season. Why go and potentially upset something good like what we have here with pointless signings?

He doesn’t join until the second of December, so it’s not likely that he will go disrupting your team just yet.

You try telling that to the midfielders I’ve got downstairs who are a little baffled by the arrival of an eighth.

I think you are taking this a little to heart, Tina. There was no malice in my actions, just a simple will and intention of making your job easier. I’m sorry if I’ve come across as meddling and interfering but I am new to this after all.

Tina felt no sense of remorse from the man still sitting with his back turned to her, “Why do I get the sense that you are simply being sarcastic with me?”

That is your point of view, not my own. Listen, if it turns out that come his first match he is utterly rubbish then we will get rid of him. But just give him a chance. That is all I ask.

You seem to forget that with the impending arrival of Nolberto Solano in January that we simply don’t need any more players. You’re meddling James, meddling in things that are in MY job description.

I think that is all for today,” he replied, finally turning round to speak face to face. “I’ll see you tomorrow to discuss your upcoming trip to France.

Tina ground her teeth together to refrain from saying something stupid and left without another word. On her way down to the pitch she happened across Archie, something she was pleased about. The old man was a better sounding board than her new chairman. “I cannot stand that man,” she snapped, the former Scotland international understanding why quite quickly.

Yeah, I heard about Bolseth. He isn’t a bad player like, but the fact that he was signed above you is shocking. He arrives in December, yes?

Yeah, he gets here on the second. I just can’t believe what has gone on since he got here. He’s pulling strings all over and there isn’t a thing I can do. I have the distinct feeling that come January Perea will be gone aswell, and I can’t digress how much I want him to stay.

Only time will tell how Rodwell goes about his business here, I’m afraid. I have to be honest, I didn’t sign up to a puppet on someone’s stage show. Maybe you should think seriously about the job offer from Vannes?

My home is here, Archie. I can’t up and go when I’ve got my team firing so superbly at the minute. We’re going to find out how they’ve taken this when come our next game we see them in action. I just sincerely hope it hasn’t affected them so much so that they crumble against Hibs.

We’ve still got ten days until that game, so how about we make the most and arrange a friendly? It’ll keep them fresh, and it’ll keep your mind fresh. Make it an away game and then Rodwell won’t be lurking.

Tina nodded solemnly, “That sounds like a plan.

Thursday 12th November 2009

There was an explosion of interest overnight after Fabrice Fernandes tweeted about his desire to discuss a move away from Paisley having failed to settle in at the Scottish club. Tina wasn’t too pleased about it, but if the Frenchman wasn’t happy here there was nothing she could do but agree to his request to be allowed permission to make a move either back abroad or down to England where he had settled before with Southampton.

The tweet had sparked controversy over whether this move had been forced upon Fernandes by either Rodwell or his other compatriots in the board room, but for the meanwhile Fernandes refused to speak anymore over the subject. That decision was probably the best for him unless he desired to land himself in some serious hot water over it all. Rodwell wasn’t the forgiving type.

The bigger news of the day regarded Edixon Perea as the Colombian forward looked more likely of a move from St Mirren Park after Rodwell had agreed to allow clubs to approach should they meet his valuation. There had been no formal offers as of yet, but Brondby, Q.P.R. and Middlesbrough were all keeping tabs on the situation. Tina couldn’t help but feel that the whole thing felt like a firesale.

It’s starting to seem like most of my squad want out of here,” mumbled Tina as the players took training right in front of her. Both Fernandes and Perea were absent, once again sparking the rumour mill into frenzy. There wasn’t a reason she could give either; both were looking to move away and as such Rodwell had granted them leave of training. It was unlikely that Fernandes would feature in the next match anyway, the winger having struggled to earn a first team spot as of late. It wasn’t that he wasn’t good enough; he just couldn’t break past the current first teamers who were performing so superbly.

You’ve got to make the best of the situation. Perea might not want to play but you have two very able replacements in Immobile and Brandy, with the returning Mehmet and both Vaz Te and Brighton looking to break into the team again. You should try and show the football world that Perea isn’t the be all and end all of St Mirren football club,” replied Gemmill, throwing a ball back onto the field at David Barron.

It’s just really disappointing, even more so when I personally feel that Rodwell has antagonised the situation. Perea might have been unhappy, but we were working on it. But then as soon as the pound signs flashed above his head, that was it. How are we going to replace him? Because we will need to, and as of right now, there is no-one on my scouting list that grabs my fancy.

Someone will pop up; they always do. We just need to look in the right places and make sure the correct replacement is brought in. The budget is going to be non-existent, so maybe look to the free market?

Well that wasn’t my idea of a perfect replacement, but I guess that will be our only avenue.

Gemmill nodded as the players continued to train. There was a cloud hanging over the dressing room at the moment, and it was evident on the field as the players just didn’t look as sharp as they usually did. Even the usually *****y Febian Brandy was subdued and lacking energy. It all stemmed to the new board, and there was a problem brewing between the club staff and the club owners. It wasn’t going to be healthy for the clubs start to the season, and everybody knew it. Fans were trying their best to be optimistic, but it was hard when you sensed impending doom.

He is going to want more players gone you know, to fix the deficit,” started Archie, carefully choosing his words to prevent upsetting Tina even more.

I know and that is the scary part. I already know of clubs trailing Howard, Potter, Parkhurst and Faulds, and then there are the two already speculated to leave. How do we rebuild from that kind of decimation?

We’ll find a way. For now we need to keep this group together, as difficult as it might be considering the potential departures come January. Don’t forget that Solano is inbound, and he can play a multitude of positions. You need to quickly purge the desire to give up altogether and plough on; this is management after all.

Tina nodded, not wanting to agree with Gemmill but knowing he was right meant she could do nothing else. The club ended training with a slow and difficult five a side game, the players seemingly glad to get off the freezing cold pitch. Tina returned to her office, and lying in her fax machine was an offer.

Edixon Perea - £1.4million from Montpellier. She slumped into her seat, the picture of Rodwell rubbing his hands in glee too much for her to handle.

hey it wasnt meant as a slight gav im sorry if it came across like that i love the story, perhaps its because we're looking from tina's side and she happens to just check them out, it was just something that had niggled at me and i thought to ask. Sorry for offending...

Hey, man, no offence taken! Thank you for your observations regardless!

Friday 13th November 2009

I just don’t understand why the first place I hear about your intention to leave in January has to come from Twitter. You should be confident enough to come speak to me, or at least have enough faith in me to provide you with some options. I’m really unimpressed with how you went about it,” grumbled Tina as she jogged around the training pitch with Fabrice Fernandes.

I’m sorry,” he said, eyes avoiding having to look at Tina.

Well it’s too late now; I just thought we had a decent relationship here. Seems I got that pretty wrong ey?” she said as she broke off the jog and rejoined Gemmill on the edge of the pitch. He had his clipboard in hand and was rating the first group of trainers, who were now in the showers, on how they had trained.

Jack Ross will be back for Hibs, Tina. He got the all clear to train yesterday and looked fine today.

A bright spot in another unexciting week,” she said, not realising how depressing she sounded until Archie tilted his head at her.

Come on, Tina, you’ve got to try and liven up a little. I know you’re far from happy with what is going on here, but this is the hand you’ve been dealt with. It may look like a pair of two’s, and Rodwell may have a pair of aces, but when that third two comes along, you’ll be the last one laughing.

Tina laughed, Archie’s comparison being slightly ridiculous but holding some truth at the same time. Rodwell had gotten his tentacles all over the club pretty quickly, and more departures were expected come January. The potential for upheaval had the chances of upsetting the whole flow of the squad and the club itself could be rocking come the New Year, something that didn’t sit all that well with anyone involved in Paisley.

Well I sincerely hope that my third card reveals itself soon, otherwise I’m going to find myself with just a woeful pair and he will win again.

You can only win if you play the game,” said Archie as he walked off. Tina allowed herself some thinking time as she stood and watched the coaches continue to put the players through their paces. David Barron was looking sharp in the miniature game that had been set up, while the continued absence of Perea was getting the players talking as they played.

Elsewhere, Rodwell and Bagwell were standing in the conference room, an open window space that overlooked the pitch, and watching the players go through their routine. The topic of discussion however proved to be about the manager.

I like her,” said Rodwell, “I obviously don’t want her to know that, but she reminds me of myself. Strong minded, able, defined as a person, she is truly quite impressive. The biggest problem of course is her attitude, which at times borders on reckless.

You’re the one being reckless, James. Women don’t belong in football; it’s as simple as that. And this backwards club has got three on its staff, what on earth has the world come to?

Be careful with your words, Theodore, as my... lady friend of the moment, is also a football manager in the mens game.

I’m just saying we need to can her as soon as possible. I don’t like her, and if you MUST have a woman in charge at least put your current conquest on the throne, but not her.

It isn’t as simple as that. The fans here love her, and the players are more than a hundred percent behind her. If she has to go then we need to force her to make a move that we can take advantage of. Until then, she is in charge of the team. That cannot and will not be changed until something happens.

I hope you’re right because if you aren’t then our potential goldmine here will dry up pretty quickly and we will find ourselves ploughing money into the coffers like all the other brainless chairmen in the world. Let’s not become like those incompetent fools. You remember Massone, yes? That is what we will turn into.

Rodwell smiled and turned away from the window, “Ah, Massone. That reminds me.

Saturday 14th November 2009

Today all eyes were on the Scottish as Hampden Park played host to Sweden in a World Cup Qualifying playoff match. Scotland had so much to gain from winning the two legged bout, but as with so many times in the past, they had the chance of choking when it mattered most. The forward line pairing of Kris Boyd and Kenny Miller needed to be on top of their game when it came down to it, Mellberg and Granqvist were likely to give them a stern test. And then there was the whole other problem of Zlatan Ibrahimovic.

Tina sat with Archie in the club conference room, the whole building deserted, watching the game on the projector. “We desperately need to this,” he grumbled, “It’s been eleven years since we played in a World Cup, eleven damn years.

Tina smiled as she snapped open a can of Coca Cola, “That’s what you get for being so rubbish.”

Sorry, Welsh girl, but how many World Cups have your boys managed?

One...” Tina said quietly. “I can promise that will all change under me, I PROMISE it.

Archie offered her his hand and they shook, “You’ve got a deal on that young 'un. If you don’t, you owe me a crate of the finest malt whiskey.

The next two hours consisted of dire football played out between two international sides scared of going all out for it. The prize on offer was a World Cup space, something that over two hundred countries had been competing for. Marcus Berg put Sweden ahead in the first half, quietening the mood for the whole nation.

The second half proved to be just as cagey as the first had been, and when Miller struck the post, there was a sense of hope for the boys in blue. Four minutes later and Miller hit the back of the net with a thumping header courtesy of a Scott Brown cross. There was jubilation for the home fans and Hampden Park erupted into a plethora of cheers.

Zlatan Ibrahimovic struck the crossbar twice in the final two minutes, but Scotland survived and Scotland now have the chance to still secure a World Cup spot. The final result cheered Archie up, the first half having seen him turn rather grumpy. “They don’t play like we used to,” he mumbled, “It’s all about money now, and no one put the effort in to make their wages seem deserved.

The joys of modern day football,” she said, the agreement resulting in a nod from Archie.

The pair continued to lounge around the office, with an evening training session scheduled for 7pm, leaving them little time to go home and come back. Carlos Garcia was running the session in order to train up and teach Lola, but had asked that Archie and Tina be present to run the rule anyway and to watch the progress of their new coach.

The day had gone by quietly, with little word ebbing down from Rodwell. That was right up until the fax machine beeped to life. “You have mail,” joked Archie as he looked over some files. Tina got up and dragged the sheet off the tray. She let her eyes idly look through it, but did a double take when she reached the bottom.

That god damn weasel upstairs has gone and screwed us over again,” she snapped, picking up the phone and dialling for Rodwell’s office.

What’s he done?

Coventry made a formal approach for Billy Mehmet, a two hundred fifty grand offer and Rodwell agreed to let them speak with him. What the hell are we going to do if both Perea and Mehmet leave?

Gemmill shrugged, “This is getting tougher day by day. There isn’t a thing we can do to stop him either.

Tina put the phone back on the receiver having gotten no reply from his office, “Oh, but there is plenty I can do to make his life difficult in the meantime.

Sunday 15th November 2009

The transfer sagas involving a host of St Mirren players continued today, with those not having already stated their desire to leave officially doing so. It wasn’t a day to shout home about for Tina as offers began to flood in for her star players. The official offer came in from Coventry to pay £250,000 for Mehmet, and the striker spoke to her saying he really wanted a shot to play in the Championship. There was little she could from there other than accept the offer, the striker looking certain of his desire.

There were then seven offers from English clubs including Scunthorpe and Huddersfield of £350,000 for Fabrice Fernandes. Having wanted a move to seek first team football opportunities the winger had no qualms in saying yes to all clubs, though amusingly stating his intent to not move to Leeds within a minute of hearing of the offer. Tina felt the move was necessary for him, and accepted all seven offers. He was going to be a busy boy over the next week.

And then finally there was Edixon Perea. The crown jewel of Tina’s summer transfer window wanted away having failed to settle into the club and with the club chairman now hopeful of cashing in on the Colombian star. Queens Park Rangers and Valencia were the newcomers to his saga, tabling bids of £1,400,000 within an hour of each other. With reported interest from Austria Karnten too, and Sampdoria, then it will surely be a battle over his signature.

It had been a long and gruelling day for Tina, and she neglected her players a little as she failed to learn of Ricardo Vaz Te getting injured in training, if not in comical fashion. In a show of cockiness the striker attempted to bench press more than he could actually manage, and in turn sustained what was only described as a ‘chest injury’ by McCreadie. Vaz Te’s injury is number four in the current batch, with Jack Ross and Mo Camara still out, while Chris Smith is the clubs only current long term crocked player. It would be December before Vaz Te re-emerges on the field.

There was some good news on the opposite end of the scale, but not entirely the kind that fans would have been hoping for. St Mirren had been reported as approaching Dale Hilson, former Dundee United academy player. The youngster has been attracting the interest of Stoke City too, but there offer has been met with disdain by his agent. He is definitely one for the future, with a potentially bright future in Scottish football.

Did Hilson get back to you,” quipped Carlos, the coach not turning away from the final training session of the day to speak. “When I spoke with his agent this morning he seemed pretty keen on staying in Scotland so he could stay in school too.

Tina nodded, “His dad called me earlier. He wants to come, and I’m glad for that. It was an easy conversation to have, and he seemed pretty pleased that he was given the option of staying in Scotland. He’s a young kid, I can see why.

The Spaniard then turned to Tina, his face etched with worry. “Tina the boys aren’t training as hard and disciplined as they were before this whole takeover. There is a definite change of feeling within the group, and I’m concerned by it.

Tina quickly scanned the players as they trained, the impending sense of morale dropping hitting her like it had Carlos. They didn’t look the same lively bunch, and they couldn’t be blamed for it. When the clubs more popular players were on the verge of agreeing deals to move elsewhere, and with a chairman making it clear that no-one was safe, they were retreating back to the shells which saw many of them battle relegation last season.

Call them round and get them to huddle up,” snapped Tina.

You do it, you’ve got a much louder voice than I have,” Carlos grinned as he motioned for her to do it.

Alright, listen up everyone!” she yelled. “Huddle up and let’s have a serious group discussion session!

The players tentatively grouped around Tina and Carlos, the atmosphere on a knife edge. You could have heard a pin drop throughout the stadium as they eagerly awaited the words to stream from Tina. They needed a pick me up, and she had them in front of her, desperately awaiting one.

And then she did what she excelled at for most of her life.

Monday 16th November 2009

Kyle Faulds left the stadium this morning having received a surprise phone call from John Connolly with a call-up to the Scottish U-19 squad. He left with the rest of the lucky players at eight a.m., leaving Lola a player short for her upcoming U-19 match in three days against Dundee United.

He’s going to do great for them providing he gets played,” said Lola, Tina standing by her side as the whole player roster underwent its weekly fitness test. Lola’s face turned away from them as she spoke again, “A lot of these players won’t make it in the professional game,” she said quietly.

I know, and that’s always the way with clubs these days. Some find their way back to the top of the game; others make a living in the lower leagues.

And many don’t make it at all and quit the game,” Carlos chimed in. His English was still heavily tainted with a Spanish accent, but he was learning very well.

By the way, you two, Archie is bringing a coach to join the staff roster in a couple of days. He’s a decent guy by all accounts, and will be with us until the end of the season.

Are you sure about him? It’s usually much better to give them an interview first, hell, you did to me!” joked Carlos, but with a more serious undertone.

I trust the judgement of Archie,” replied Tina, “And so should you, especially considering he is your tutor and way into becoming my assistant manager from this summer onwards.

Carlos smiled and wandered back off to jog around with the players. He hadn’t taken part in a competitive match since 2003, but had kept himself in fantastic condition, something many failed to do after quitting the game. The girls stood on the sideline, Lola shouting at her youngsters to get them moving a little quicker. They were chit chatting, and it was slowing down their pace in the bleep test. Tina had an ingenious idea for it though, something to give them a little incentive.

Alright you young un’s, I’m going to make you a deal. Whoever goes on to win the bleep test will earn a place in my side this coming match up. Chances like this don’t come all that often, so I’d advise you to put everything into it. I know how much you all say you ‘want’ to play in the first team, so show me.

Lola ushered the players into position, and the test started. The idea of the bleep test is to run from one end to the other before the noise bleeps out loud. It starts off slow, but gets quicker and quicker, forcing the players themselves to move quicker. If you fail to get there in time, you are eliminated and the rest continue to take part until only one person is left.

Tina felt the burning presence of prying eyes from the stands, and as she turned she satisfied her own feelings when she spotted Rodwell sat with Bagwell. Theodore was leaning across and muttering into Rodwell’s ear, before eventually getting up and leaving. Tina quickly took the opportunity to corner him while he was alone. She trudged up the steps and sat two rows in front of him, not even turning to look at him while speaking.

I know you have this huge grudge against me, Rodwell,” she started, quickly continuing to prevent her boss from interrupting. “But we need to come to some sort of truce in order for this club to function like it did.

And what was it you had in mind?” he said.

You keep yourself out of my first teams business. That is all that I am asking.

Deal, but that will NOT extend to transfer dealings. One too many chairmen have fallen by the wayside simply because they fail to control their finances. I don’t dislike you, Tina, but I know of many who do. Don’t forget that.

Tina turned to look at him, nodded, and then went back down to the field. She returned just in time to see the end of the bleep test, and to see Kyle Jacobs take the crown.

It had been four months since Kyle Jacobs had started against Dacia Chisinau and scored a delicious goal before being substituted a minute later. It had been a super debut, one that he was never given the chance to fully replicate. Now he had that chance, and Lola was just as pleased as he was.

He’s definitely the standout performer in my team,” she said, Tina nodding in response.

Time for him to show us what he’s got again.

Tuesday 17th November 2009

The transfer chatter had finally gone a little quiet, and while the respective players were sorting deals out for the January window, many of the others were just pleased to not be hearing of more team-mates leaving too.

Rodwell wasn't in Paisley today, leading to a relaxed atmosphere from all involved at the club. In fact, none of Rodwell's cronies were present either. This in turn meant that the training session had been quite relaxed, the players looking a little more like their old selves. Jack Ross had also made his return to first team training, the influential and experienced full back bringing an air of optimism to the others.

The main point of the evening was the opportunity for Tina to observe some of her young Welsh players as they were given a live television slot for their match against Greece. The Greeks looked every inch the upcoming nation they are believed to be and boasted a side that contained Sotiris Ninis and Giannis Papadopoulos.

The Greeks dominated Brian Flynn's boys from the offset and when Iraklis striker Dimitris Gianstis broke past James Bloom there was only one expected outcome. He struck low to beat Rhys Taylor from just inside the box, and from there Greece built well on their lead. Marc Williams carved a couple of excellent chances for himself, but was heavily reliant on his own skill after minimal input from the whole Welsh midfield and fellow striker Casey Thomas.

The second half fared no better, and Tina was left watching in disappointment after Konstantinos Mitroglou rose above James Wilson to head his side into a two goal lead. There was no reply from any Welsh player and it was sad to see them flounder, something that didn't bode all that well for the future if this was all they could manage. There were two interesting points as the late introduction sof Nathan Craig and Jazz Richards came on to provide much more threat than that of the rest of the side had all game. Richards also took the armband and looked extremely assured in the role.

Not all that impressive, ey señorita?” said Carlos. The pair had watched the game together, but had found little to be enthusiastic over. She smiled a little, something she didn't do all that much of any more, at being called señorita.

No. But I do like that Jazz Richards, and I'm wondering if Swansea would be interested in letting him go.

Carlos shook his head, “A player with a decent amount of talent? I highly doubt it,” he said.

Tina sat with some papers in front of her, with potential striker replacements for the seemingly outgoing Perea and Mehmet. The list only contained three names, with two of them known to Scottish football fans. The first was only billed as a short term replacement, Finazzi being a thirty six year old Brazilian with plenty left in his tank. Ponte Preta have him transfer listed for nothing, and with his wages being a pittance he would be a gamble, but a gamble with little financial risk.

The second and third players in question was Marco Paixao and his brother Flavio, both on the books of Billy Reid's Hamilton Academical side. Both have seen little action this season, but they seem to be a cheap and hard working option should the two key forwards leave. “The fans won't be all that happy if we sign two strikers from a side who have just one league goal this season.

I think they are good enough, Carlos, and with a potential strike force of just Immobile and Brandy, both loanees, we need to prepare a little more for the long term. They'll be dirt cheap to get,” she said, being cut off in the process.

There could be a reason for that Tina.

I think they're worth the gamble, personally. I also think Finazzi will bring something different to the side, even if only for six months. This whole rebuild job I started in the summer has gone awry, so now is the time to plan ahead properly, as I don't fancy our chances of making it to the summer with any funds.

So what's the final decision?” Carlos asked through mouthfuls of an apple.

We move for all three and one midfielder for January, cementing our squad for the final half of the season. Hopefully by then we won't have imploded and dropped out of sight,” she sighed.

Wednesday 18th November 2009

There was great news for the Welsh set up today as Tina awoke to news that they had bumped themselves up two places in the rankings thanks to that victory over Liechtenstein in October. They now sit in 68th spot, while Brazil of course remained on the summit.

There was also a new player joining the club today, former Genoa trainee Simone Rotella arriving after agreeing to a £90 per week apprenticeship deal. The Italian will study at a local college for his A-Levels whilst playing for the club. Tina had an old friend to thank for his arrival, Valter having given her the heads up on the young talent's lack of attachment to a club.

Are you ready to work hard, Simone?” she asked, hoping to sense the right attitude from him. Attitude was the key in young players, as those with masses of talent had the highest potential of falling simply because of their attitude to the game and the people involved.

The Italian nodded, not knowing much English as of yet. Tina was hoping Ciro and Diego would help him to settle into the club before they both returned to their respective parent clubs. They were roughly his age too, which made it all that easier for them to bring him into their group. “He has a lot of potential,” remarked Carlos. He had witnessed the youngsters first training session this morning, and it had gone very well. His age meant that he trained with the first teamers, and he looked like he was right at home.

Yeah he does, and quite frankly he could become a regular fixture at the club. Providing of course he doesn't sell him on any time soon,” said Tina, her head motioning up towards to Rodwell's office.

The players were back training as the pair stood on the sidelines, Tina having doubled there workload for the past week. There had been a pause for international football, and with Hibernian visiting on Saturday they needed the extra time on the pitch. Febian Brandy was looking extremely sharp, and he showed so during a quick five a side tournament between the players. Kyle Jacobs was also looking good, desperate to earn another shot in the first team after winning the chance to feature earlier in the week.

For once it looks like we're going to have a dilemma on our hands,” said Tina.

“A good thing, no?

“Very much so. I need to make a statement though, and you won't like it.

Carlos look at Tina, “And that would be?

I'm dropping Perea and Mehmet. If the fans thing we are heavily reliant on them, then we will eventually turn out to be. We need to show them, and ourselves, that we aren't, and to me that starts with a victory over Hibs on Saturday without the pair of them.

Carlos shook his head, “Are you sure it's the right decision? It could backfire horrendously.

Tina nodded, purposely ignoring his doubts. “Hibs sit ninth and they've only won three times so far this season. Add to that that we are at home and you have to see the positives like I do. Not to mention that their first choice goalkeeper is out injured and most likely won't feature in the match.

Carlos threw his hands up, “No need to be so defensive. I trust your decisions, I take it Archie feels the same?

It was half his idea,” replied Tina. “Which reminds me, we have a new member of staff visiting today to sign his contract.

Carlos nodded and turned his attention back to training, while Tina wandered off to her office. She always felt it good to know she could leave her staff to do the job and do it well. There weren't that many of them, but they helped keep each other in order and at the top of their game, and that was what was needed. At least in her eyes.

She was only waiting ten minutes before Archie turned up, friend in tow. “Reza Sharif,” he said, offering out his hand whilst offering the introduction. “I've heard a lot about you, Miss Powell.

You'd be surprised how often I hear that,” she replied as she shook his hand. Tina took an immediate liking to the man, not at all being put off by the turban he was wearing. Reza noticed the interest and replied, as if to stifle any qualms.

I'm a Sikh, if you hadn't guessed,” he said, tapping the turban. “It did always make header training a little troublesome for me.

The light humour helped to loosen the mood. Reza was already a ninety nine percent certainty for the job, and Tina liked him already anyway, helping to fill in that final one percent rather quickly. “Don't worry, the heading is Carlos's forte. If you will step into my office, Reza,” she said, motioning for him to enter, “We have a contract that we must go over. I'm sure you have questions.

He nodded in response, “I do, but only a few.

Ten minutes later and the contract was signed, making Reza the newest member of the St Mirren backroom staff.

Thursday 19th November 2009

All eyes were once again cast upon the World Cup play-offs, Scotland travelling to Sweden with a 1-1 draw to show for their home effort just a few days gone. Ireland, however, pretty much knew their fate before kick-off having been trampled by Serbia 5-1 in the first leg of the tie.

The Scottish nation watched their side on the back foot for the best part of an hour, right before Zlatan Ibrahimovic attempted to break their hearts with a superb daisycutter effort. It took everything to the boys in blue had to fight back, and when Steven Naismith headed in with just a minute left on the clock, Scotland went crazy. Tina was fairly certain that she could hear her neighbours yelling like madmen, though she couldn’t blame them.

Having been the hero of keeping Scotland in with a chance, Naismith turned villain when it came down to a penalty shoot out to decide who went to South Africa in seven months time. He missed the opening kick, but was pleased when Rasmus Elm levelled it up with his own miss. Sadly Alan Hutton did the same, and when Erik Edman struck home the decisive penalty, silence fell across Scotland. Dreams had been shattered, and Tina couldn't help but feel sorry for all involved.

She sat on her sofa, the faint smell of a curry slowly sizzling away on the cooker helping to remind her that it needed tending soon. She was sat with files regarding potential targets, scout reports and other managerial usefulness. Their had once again been plenty of transfer news regarding the club, Billy Mehmet having finalised his deal to join Coventry City. It was no doubt a big move for the big centre forward, but there was still sadness over the whole move. Tina tried pretending that it wasn't all that important, looking for negatives to help forget he was leaving, but he is a great player and will be missed from the squad. She knew that too well.

With Perea also expected to announce his exit in the coming days, Tina took heart in knowing that both Paixao brothers would be coming to discuss a deal soon, along with Swansea City youngster Casey Thomas. That would fill the gaping hole left by them, and when the two loanee strikers leave next summer there would be ample replacements come the time.

There was also some talks in place to bring Nicky Riley in from Celtic, but as of the moment Tina sat in her house that deal only went as far as a provisional offer for the players services. There was a serious amount of worry circling the club in how they will adapt to yet another upheaval of personnel, but only time will tell of the how the club reacts and moulds to the situation.

Tina got up off the sofa and tended to her chicken curry, the meal simmering along nicely. She had always been a fan of spicy food, but came from a family and friend group that wasn't as appreciative of the taste. She had never let it stop her from trying new things, and had become quite a dab hand at making a selection of curries over the years. The only problem she had now, was the lack of partner to share them with.

She hadn't heard from Rosalie in a couple of days, and then there was Cassie who was now sorting out wedding plans with Jamie. It still cut away at her, but there was nothing that could be done. Something vaguely related to her had gotten both her and Jamie hurt, and that simply wasn't acceptable.

She put the lid back on the pan and returned to her glass of red wine and curled back onto the sofa. The brief respite had given her eyes the chance to return to normal, the square white pages having nullified her eyesight a little. She kept reading over the notes on the Paixao brothers, the deal to sign them already in place but the reserve of judgement from Carlos still affecting her own opinions. She had felt that the pair would be fantastic bargains to see the club through for awhile, but there was a snippet of discontent beginning to emerge over them. She felt confident enough to stick with her decision, and couldn't help but admit it was nice to have a conflicting opinion on something. It gave the perfect chance to review things and not jump into something, and that was always a welcoming thing.

She smiled when she ran her eyes down the team-sheet, the viewing not as bad as she first expected it would be. Despite all the ranting and ravings of people, claiming the squad was now lacking depth, it didn't look that bad at all.

Goalkeepers;

Degre, Gallacher, Howard

Defenders;

Parkhurst, Mair, Metzelder, Potter, Wotton, Barron, Contento, Ross

Midfielders;

Davids, Murray, Sneijder, Caiaffa, McGinn, Vaz Te, Dorman

Forwards;

Brighton, Jacobs, Brandy, Immobile

Hibernian were just two days away from visiting, and as Tina got up one final time to tend to her cooking, she ran over the first eleven in her head. She was still adamant on not playing those planning on leaving, so it would be a very different looking side on Saturday.

Very different indeed.

Thanks a lot I<3AFC, always appreciate new readers in this story. :)

Friday 20th November 2009

Angelo Massone felt his jaw snap in two places as the punch landed, the pain absolutely and undeniably unbearable. He coughed up some blood and sunk into the corner, the beating having come to an end at the hands of the same man who had terrorised Cassie at her home. Angelo began to cry, a mixture of pain and desperation flowing out. He got up, amidst a horrible shooting pain down his left leg where the enforcer had first hit him, and struggled to a drainpipe where he propped himself up.

He looked around but saw nobody or anywhere he could go to, and once again slumped down against the wall. He pulled his phone out from his left pocket, forgetting the pain momentarily before it returned when he strained to get the item out. The screen was cracked thanks to a kick right on it, but it still turned on and Angelo felt a little bit of relief. He scrolled through the names on the list and stopped when he go to Tina's. He pressed dial and put the phone hurtfully to his ear.

This number is no longer in service,” said the operator cold heartedly.

For **** sake,” yelled Angelo. “I should never have given you that god damn money, especially when it's going to cost me my life,” he groaned down the phone, the line now dead. He threw it across the alley, not caring for it's condition now.

He eventually found the energy to get up and made his way home, the pain not even coming close to subsiding. On that walk home, he often wondered what was happening with Tina.

The truth was that it was a day of announcements, Mehmet's January departure to Coventry City being relayed to the fans while the January arrival of Swansea's Casey Thomas was also made. The latter didn't go as far as Tina had hoped to provide hope for the departure of Mehmet, but then it couldn't all go right. The fans had been on top of the whole Mehmet sale anyway, so the expected announcement didn't shock them in the least.

Tina, however, found herself in the press room discussing tomorrows match with Hibs. “It's been fourteen days since your side last played, how do you feel they will take that plus the added stress of the players leaving?

Tina smiled, “They are perfectly fit and ready for the game tomorrow, don't worry about that. As for the impact of the players leaving, tomorrow will show me and my staff who the men and the boys are in my squad. It's all up to them, but I have a feeling they will come out of it just fine.

Many are saying that Febian Brandy is on top of his game at the moment, would you agree with that statement?

Tina nodded, “He has been emphatic since joining us and I know he has the mental capacity to keep it going and not become overpowered by the praise being sent his way. Sir Alex is keeping a keen eye on his fortunes here, so he knows how well he has to do to impress the big man at Old Trafford.

One final question, Tina, how do you view Derek Riordan as tomorrow's biggest threat? He has four goals for Hibs this season and he promptly become one of their more important players. How will you approach keeping him under wraps?

Football is a team game, Simon, and I'm never one to make my boys concentrate on just one player. Hibs are a good outfit, and should they want to hurt us they will do so all across the field. Riordan will no doubt be a threat up front, but I have every confidence in my players stopping him and any other player who makes a go out of trying to beat us. I wouldn't be doing my job if I didn't have confidence in them to do so.

Tina left the press room and let out a huge sigh of relief before making her way to her office. Archie was already there, “How'd it go lass?

The same as always, so not a problem. How come you're late?

The missus,” he said with a smile. “Sorry I missed it, I got here ten minutes ago but it would have been quite unprofessional to walk in at that point.

Tina sighed, “Why have all of our players now decided they want out?

The joys of success,” replied Archie, “It's the price you pay for doing so well with a bunch of players not expected to have done so. That has therefore put them in the shopping window, and the players themselves know that this is their best chance to further their careers. Unless we, of course, go the whole hog and win the title. In that case they'd be fools for leaving.

Tina smiled at Archie, pleased he helped her see it a little better. She knew, of course, that the better they played they'd be getting spotted and wanted by other clubs, but she was just left bitter at how easily they have wanted to jump ship. It didn't help knowing how some of them had little chance of success until she brought them to the club, gave them a place to showcase their talents.

And then it became obvious.

Clubs in Scotland would, for the near future, only ever be the lower end of the career ladder. But then it hit Tina like a sad wave of feelings.

Was she happy being here, knowing that any prospect she had, would inevitably end up leaving?

Saturday 21st November 2009, 3pm

St Mirren vs. Hibernian

St Mirren Park

Scottish Premier League (12/38)

GK; Vincent Degre (15 apps, 0 goals)

DR; Lee Mair (9 apps, 0 goals)

DL; Diego Contento (11 apps, 0 goals)

DC; Paul Wotton (12 apps, 5 goals)

DC; Michael Parkhurst (13 apps, 0 goals)

DMC; Edgar Davids (10 apps, 0 goals)

MC; Hugh Murray (349 apps, 18 goals)

MC; Stephen McGinn (56 apps, 4 goals)

MC; Kyle Jacobs (1 app, 1 goal)

ST; Febian Brandy (13 apps, 7 goals)

ST; Tom Brighton (11 apps, 3 goals)

SUBS; Mark Howard, Chris Innes, David Barron, Rodney Sneijder, Alejandro Caiaffa, Ciro Immobile, Simone Rotella

You won't believe this Tina,” said Carlos, “But we have a match today.

Tina smiled at Carlos's obvious attempt at poor humour, “It does seem like a hellishly long time since we last played. I guess that's just because of how slowly the two weeks has gone since we mauled Rangers.

Carlos nodded, “Just to give you the heads up, Graham Stack will be in Hibs' goal today.”

Why Stack? What happened to Kalambay?

The fool has a cold, apparently,” he replied, “So he didn't make the trip. Hibs got here at eleven this morning, found out then. If I ever tried to have the day off with a cold, I'd have been strung up back in the day.

Tina shrugged, “The obvious hardship of modern football takes its toll on professionals these days. Well, it's either that or the Scottish weather.

Carlos looked stuck his hand out of the open window, “I don't know, the rain isn't all that bad,” he said before pulling in his now damp hand. "Think we'll be lucky enough to get called off and then we can all go home?

You've just had two weeks of a break. Why'd you need more?

Carlos skulked away into the corner, “No reason. So what prompted the decision to include Rotella in the match day squad?

His attitude is terrific, and in all honesty, why the hell not? The experience itself will be invaluable to him, and with Ciro also on the bench at least the two can have a chat.

And I see you took me up on my recommendation to play Jacobs in central midfield.

We didn't really have a choice, what with Fernandes being an enemy of mine and Vaz Te out injured. And it isn't like we have commonly played wingers this season anyway.

Ipswich had made an offer for Fernandes early in the morning, a £220,000 offer prompting Rodwell to say yes thanks. The man himself hadn't been seen in a couple of days, lowering the pressure that had recently been levelled on Tina. Bagwell had been spotted plenty of times though, scowling the halls and doing very little but get in the way.

“I also heard from Archie that Flavio Paixao has agreed to sign on in January,” said Carlos, feigning hurt from only just becoming privy to that information.

Tina nodded, “That he did. Trust me, he will be a top signing for us.

I trust your decision. Shouldn't we be getting downstairs?

Tina nodded again, “You take this,” she said, hauling a whiteboard onto his lap, “And let's get a move on,” she said, the pair leaving her office. Two minutes later and Bagwell was prowling outside, his face pressed up against the glass.

Let us have a little peek inside here,” he mumbled before heading in to her office.

Would like to honour this post to all of those who lost their lives this time ten years ago. It doesn't seem just yesterday that it all occurred and shocked the world with it's horror. Such a shocking event in a world dominated by shocking events. RIP.

Hibs haven't been all that good this season,” said Tina, eager to pull out of them whatever she could. “So this is definitely the best chance for us to keep our winning run going. We know how good we are, we've proved that all season, so now let's keep it going and continue to prove ourselves more than just one show ponies. I'm tired of hearing the press tell us that we aren't strong enough to continue this domination at the top, and with six games against the Old Firm still to come, we can prove them wrong consistently. Don't let the news of any of our departures affect you, play for you and the team mates you have on the pitch.

The first half loomed, and when the players finally made their way out, St Mirren Park was much more subdued than it had been all season. It hadn't been this quiet since Roma scored that last minute goal so many months ago. Brandy and Brighton stood over the ball, and when the referee blew their whistle they exchanged worried looks. Even Tina could sense it filtering through all of the players. They didn't look confident.

But as it was the pair got the action started and quickly shifted the ball back to the defenders. They were slow getting started, but that wasn't something shocking. Hibs pressed quickly in order to win the ball and inflict a quick stab at the heart of the St Mirren side. It had the desired effect with John Hughes standing proudly on the sideline as his players did as he must have instructed. Benjelloun wasted no time in nicking the ball from Brandy in midfield, right before Edgar Davids tore through the back of him. There was no surprise as the whistle sounded and the yellow card flashed before his eyes. Tina rubbed the side of her head, slightly gaunt at the start her side had made. “We don't look comfortable,” she whispered to Carlos.

Two minutes later and it got no better, and with the rain beginning to pound the dirt, there was little to stop the tackles from becoming rougher and rougher. Murray was the next to receive the yellow, this one being for a well timed clip on Riordan, a clip that he thought he'd get away with. He didn't, referee Alan Muir warning him that if he did it again the red wouldn't waste any time in coming out of his pocket. To make matters worse Brandy then picked up the third St Mirren yellow for tugging on Riordan's shirt. Lewis Stevenson stepped up to take the free-kick and fired a low, dangerous shot towards Degre but failed to hit the target and the French keeper was happy to land in a puddle without needing to make a save.

The weather affected the game badly, sapping energy levels quickly. Even the spirited Riordan was struggling to make headway in the strong winds, Hibernian's long ball plan going out of the window with the gusts. There was a quick change of tactic, and it immediately paid dividends when Riordan flicked a ball on for Benjelloun to run on to. Lee Mair couldn't get back to make the tackle, and the Moroccan fired high past Degre and into the roof of the net. There was silence from three sides of the ground, but the fourth was rampant. Hughes jumped into the arms of Benjelloun, while the St Mirren staff slumped into their seating.

As play resumed there was four minutes of simple, one touch football from Hibs as they pinged it around their midfield and the back four. There was no urgency for them now, they had the lead and just needed to keep the ball and aggravate the St Mirren players. The rain was still pouring down though the wind had subsided, which led to a bit of genius from Degre. He punted the ball right over the defence, Brandy quickly following suit and breaking past with shocking ease. Stevenson was the quickest to react, but his late tackle almost took Brandy down. He continued his run, “Come on, Febian,” mumbled Tina as he raced towards goal. She leant forward, and when the ball hit the back of the net thanks to a lovely low slotted finish, there was great delight on the sidelines.

Down after sixteen, level after twenty two. It had been a quick turnaround, and one made possible by superb quick thinking by just two players. The change in mood swept across the players in black and white like a disease, confidence flooding back. The passing turned crisp, the defending became well timed, and the chances came in a steady stream. Brandy flashed one just over the bar from outside the area while Stack made a decent save to get down for Murray's skidding shot. They weren't clear cut, but they were more than the first twenty minutes had witnessed. It was like the two teams had simply swapped places.

Hibs weren't without their own chances, Stevenson crossing for Riordan but the header was misdirected and it rolled wide without cause for concern. Lee Mair was having a tough time dealing with Riordan, while Zemmama was easily being kept out of the game by Contento. Riordan broke again, showing his threat with a deft touch to easily outfox Mair, before a crushing tackle saw Davids come away with the ball and fire up an attack for the home side. Everything was going well.

Hughes had considerably quietened, with reason of course, and was now sat in the dugout as opposed to his earlier standing in the box with an umbrella. The rain was heavier, something he will definitely say was his reason for going back under the shelter. Archie was stood out in the dugout, the only to being so at that point, delivering vocal instructions to Mair as he passed by the area. The defender needed to overcome Riordan if he was to prevent anything from happening down on that side. He nodded in acknowledgement of the tirade that came from Gemmill, but whether he would implement a change would remain to be seen.

Davids had a rare sight on goal when a clearance landed right at his feet. Rankin had been the culprit, his attempted clear up of a Brandy-Jacobs one-two being rather sloppy. The Dutchman took the strike first time but it was one of the most wayward shots you were ever likely to see. Especially when it rolled out for a throw in. It's easy to see what makes a player a defensive midfielder with shooting like that.

The next piece of play, however, was a one of stunning beauty and precision. McGinn was the instigator in midfield, winning the ball from Benjelloun and playing it quickly to Brandy. The striker passed to Jacobs, who let it roll through his legs before flicking it past Hibs captain Chris Hogg for Brandy to run on to. He did just that and slammed the ball through the legs of Stack to put St Mirren in front before subsequently sliding through the rain soaked grass in front of the home fans. He was swamped and lost beneath a plethora of bodies, the celebrations consuming him in the process and with the staff on the sidelines celebrating a tactical victory.

Half time approached quickly after the goal, and with the home side looking invigorated, there was nothing they feared. Not even a bit of rain.

There was however still work to be done.

• 3 weeks later...

The second half didn't get off to the start that Hibs hoped it might when Wotton played in Brandy with a delicious through ball that would have had Scholes writhing in pleasure. Brandy couldn't make anything happen with it, and a snap shot was the end result of what could have been so much more. At least the attacking incentive looked positive from a Buddies point of view, Hibs retreating back at every opportunity thanks to the closing down of the St Mirren midfield.

Stack however didn't look so happy to be the focal point of all retreats, and when an awkward ball was put back to him, he spooned it out of the stadium. The fans found it funny, but the keeper didn't and he immediately sought to take it out on his fellow players. Hughes, still sitting in his dugout seat, was yelling for them to calm down and concentrate, but there was to be no heeding of his will.

Hibs just couldn't work out their left from their right, and when Riordan squandered possession to Murray, another counter attack was on the cards. He zipped the ball out wide left where Brighton had found himself, contrary to the place he should have really been, and whipped in a super cross for McGinn to latch on to. He just couldn't stretch far enough and the ball went right across him and across the face of goal. There was a collective gasp from the home fans, with a collective sigh that followed. It should really have been 3-1, and the staff knew it.

The players grew in confidence as the game grew on, passing becoming way more raw and experimental, and at times coming off beautifully. McGinn looked to be having the time of his life with Murray in midfield, his ball collection and distribution an absolute joy. “You would be forgiven for thinking that this guy hasn't featured much all season,” remarked Carlos.

There was a dour moment of football, the result of just a freak of nature, when Steven Thicot, the Hibs defender, went right over the back of Murray who leant forward at the wrong moment. The Frenchman landed extremely awkwardly and looked very much struggling to breath. The physio's were quick in getting to him, and within a minute had him off the field and with an oxygen mask to his face. It only took a second for Hughes to realise the extent of his pain and quickly issued Anthony Stokes on as his replacement.

John Rankin was next to feel the wrath of a St Mirren player when Contento went right through his left shin, earning the defender a definitive yellow card. If an orange card had existed then that particular tackle would have been a prime candidate for it. Rankin struggled to stand on the foot straight afterwards, prompting Hughes to bring off another player. This time Darren McCormack came on, changing the formation back to a 4-4-2. Time was rolling on, and a third and final substitution, this time tactical, saw Cregg come off for the more creative Zemmama. Hughes was looking to snatch a point, and what better way to do so than bringing on an attacking midfielder?

The nerves were beginning to set in, when seeing the improved Hibs possession and the worsening weather, that an equaliser was forthcoming. St Mirren wouldn't even have to be poor to see it happen, what with the weather becoming a more influential part of the game. The chilly winds were keeping all sets of fans quiet, and the rain pelting into the skin of the players preventing them from moving how they wanted.

Seventy seven minutes approached, and Tina threw caution to the unbearable Scottish wind. A triple substitution was the order of the day, Rotella, Sneijder and Immobile all coming on for Murray, Brandy and Brighton. They looked slightly cautious about heading out into the torrent of rain that was cascading from the roof of the stands, but they were on and the young Italian looked fired up. Contento found his compatriot with a fizzing cross but Rotella couldn't reach it with a lunge of his left foot. The chance was a good one, rare in the second half, and it would certainly have seen the home side take the victory. As it stood, Hibs once more tried to apply the pressure to force a mistake.

It simply wasn't working though, and as Hibs applied the pressure they thought was going to pay dividends, Rotella and Sneijder would break the attack down and force a counter. McCormack was lucky to get away with what seemed like a handball just outside the area aswell, prompting the Hibs manager to ask questions of his own sides plan. He was braving the rain to do so, Tina smiling at not needing to implement such a method for herself. And to be honest, she wasn't all that keen on standing in the rain anyway. Her way was working just fine, though when she Wotton rose highest to just head wide of the far post there was a moment where Tina felt she would be celebrating in the rain with her players.

I am freezing cold,” muttered Carlos. “I do wish I was back in Spain at times like this.

Tina smiled, “You'll get used to it.

There was little else to shout about as Hibs were shut out by the resilient St Mirren defence, and vice versa. Tina was happy, and when the final whistle went, she felt a sense of respect emanate for Hughes. She shook his hand, “Another day and this could well have been your three points.

He smiled at her, “Don't tell anyone I said this, but go and win that god damn title. You're bloody good.

St Mirren 2 (Brandy 21, 42)

Hibernian 1 (Benjelloun 16)

Attendance: 8,016

Man of the Match: Febian Brandy

Hamilton went into their away fixture with Falkirk knowing that if they could beat their opponents, they'd close the gap considerably on St Johnstone just above them. An early kick-off saw Hearts take to the field against a side four places beneath them, though the match failed to separate them as they finished equals. Michael Higdon had McInnes' sides best chance, but he sent his header just wide of the post when he should have hit the target. Hearts struggled for any consistency though, a long range Obua effort striking the post being their only real act of danger in a dull 0-0 draw.

So Hamilton went to Falkirk knowing a win would close the gap a little and help them see daylight through the trapdoor above, and Rheinheimers side struggled to comprehend going behind when Curier broke past Barr on the right, pulling inside before unleashing a screamer past Olejnik. It took the boys in blue over sixty minutes to work out how to break down a surprisingly resilient Hamilton team, but the inevitable came when Carl Finnigan raced away with the ball, Canning having lost possession, and coolly slotting past Cerny to level the game. Youngster Lucas Akins had the chance to become a hero in the dying minutes of the game, but he couldnt divert a Richard Hastings cross, leaving the score at 1-1, and Hamilton no nearer the safety line or a win.

There was no sight of any points for Kilmarnock as they were systematically outdone by Rangers, despite the Gers only notching a 1-0 victory. IT came late in the second half, fifteen minutes after both Ryan O'Leary and Craig Bryson had been given their marching orders by referee Brian Winter. Kilmarnock had struggled with the home side long before then, and when Kris Boyd tapped in from two yards, there was no way back. Maurice Edu and Kyle Lafferty should have doubled the scoring, but two great saves from Alan Combe kept the score at just 1-0.

Celtic also continued with their fine form, an away trip to Dundee United proving less difficult than expected. Tannadice Park booed their side off at half time, with both Paul Dixon and Francisco Sandaza having missed penalties in forty five minutes dominated by the boys in orange. Celtic regained their composure for the second half and took the lead when Nicky Weaver fumbled a tame shot that was going wide into his own goal. Fortune added to the tally five minutes later, leaving a sour taste in the mouth of everyone hoping for a Dundee win. A third penalty was missed late on, this time by Fortune, but Celtic already had the points wrapped up safely.

Motherwell romped to a decent victory over a lacklustre Aberdeen in the last game of the day, McGhee's boys looking a little weary and out of ideas. Khalilou Fadiga scored a superb freekick to put Well in front before John Sutton headed in from a corner. The brother of Chris fired in a scrappy third late in the second half to secure a very good win for Motherwell and helping them make ground on fourth place.

| Pos   | Inf   | Team          |       | Pld   | Won   | Drn   | Lst   | For   | Ag    | G.D.  | Pts   | 
[color=#008000]| ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| 
| 1st   |       | St. Mirren    |       | 12    | 10    | 1     | 1     | 25    | 5     | +20   | 31    | 
| 2nd   |       | Rangers       |       | 12    | 7     | 3     | 2     | 19    | 8     | +11   | 24    | 
| 3rd   |       | Celtic        |       | 12    | 6     | 4     | 2     | 15    | 8     | +7    | 22    | 
| 4th   |       | Aberdeen      |       | 12    | 7     | 1     | 4     | 14    | 11    | +3    | 22    | 
| 5th   |       | Motherwell    |       | 12    | 5     | 2     | 5     | 18    | 14    | +4    | 17    | 
| 6th   |       | Dundee Utd    |       | 12    | 4     | 4     | 4     | 12    | 12    | 0     | 16    | 
| 7th   |       | Hearts        |       | 12    | 4     | 3     | 5     | 8     | 8     | 0     | 15    | 
| 8th   |       | Falkirk       |       | 12    | 3     | 4     | 5     | 9     | 19    | -10   | 13    | 
| 9th   |       | Hibernian     |       | 12    | 3     | 3     | 6     | 13    | 17    | -4    | 12    | 
| 10th  |       | Kilmarnock    |       | 12    | 4     | 0     | 8     | 13    | 17    | -4    | 12    | 
| 11th  |       | St. Johnstone |       | 12    | 2     | 4     | 6     | 10    | 25    | -15   | 10    | 
[color=#ff0000]| ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| 
| 12th  |       | Hamilton      |       | 12    | 0     | 5     | 7     | 2     | 14    | -12   | 5     | 
[/color]

• 3 weeks later...

Sunday 22nd November 2009

The rain cascaded its way down the window, forming the beginning and end of what looked like a water feature. The warmth inside the house forced the inside of the window to steam a little, but not so much that visibility was diminished from within. Akira found it to be of great fun to try and lick the condensation as it slowly rolled down, right before Tina spotted that she was stood on top of the sofa and lifted her off. “You know you shouldn't be up there,” she said, lowering her back onto the floor. The dismal Sunday weather offered Tina little option but to stay home with the dog, Cassie having deemed it okay to let her look after her for awhile.

Her former partner hadn't dropped the dog off though, instead sending her Mother to do so. “I just wish you and her could make up with each other,” she said before leaving. “You made her much happier than he is right now.

There was a sense of achievement in knowing that, but then there was the undeniable truth in that she still wanted to be with Cassie. She just didn't know how to get her back, or if it was even feasible. The pressing matter of the day, however, regarded the two sheets of paper on her coffee table that were awaiting her signature. She had been mulling over it all day, struggling to decide on whether it really was the right choice. Putting her faith in two brothers who hadn't really proven themselves in the league as of yet would be a major gamble.

Tina looked at Akira, “What do you think I should do, ey? Is it going to be worth it?

The dog looked at her before lowering her head back onto her lap. “Fat load of good you've turned out to be today.

The rain got heavier and with it came the thunder and lightning. Akira didn't mind the noise at all, sleep getting the better of her as the clock rolled past 7pm. “Come on, Tina, you need to make a decision by the end of the night.

She made herself a coffee, telling herself it was required to help her think. Instead it was just a method of distraction to avoid making a decision. A knock at the door helped prolong the procrastination, but the visitor was quite a shock to both Tina and Akira.

Cassie,” said Tina, “Now this is a surprise.

Cassie, standing soaked to the bone and looking like she had just had a shower, looked back at her. “Can I come in? I'm soaked.

Tina nodded and motioned for her to enter. She quickly took her coat off and put it in the kitchen, before popping upstairs for a towel. She brought it Cassie, and watched as she dried her hair. “Don't get me wrong, I'm pleased to see you, but what are you doing here? You don't speak to me for all that time, and then you just turn up at my door.

Yeah, I know, I'm sorry. It's just, I spoke to my Mum earlier, and she made me see sense on quite a few things.

And what was that then?

And without replying, Cassie planted her lips firmly on Tina's. The move was sudden and unexpected, prompting Tina to pull away. She stared at Cassie for just a few seconds before they reconnected. Akira just lay silent, like a friend who knew what was happening but was powerless to prevent it. The pair kissed for minutes before Tina grabbed Cassie's hand and led her upstairs. “Oh sh*t,” she laughed, a couple of minutes after getting into the bedroom, “I need to go do something. Hold right on,” she said as she raced back downstairs. She signed the papers and immediately made for her fax machine.

Don't you dare go slow on me now,” she snapped, hitting the machine. She stood there idly, in her bra and jeans, waiting for the machine to kick into life. But it wasn't having any of it. After five minutes of pressing any and every button, it sparked into action, accidentally sending a copy to Valter in Italy before the right recipient received it. Rodwell.

Five minutes after leaving Cassie in the bed, Tina made her way back upstairs only to be greeted by her snug and sound asleep. Tina smiled and closed the door, going back downstairs and being joined by the dog. “Well that was a surreal fifteen minutes,” she said while smiling to herself, before flicking the TV on to watch world football highlights on Sky.

Cheers Scott. Nice to know you're still a reader. :)

Monday 23rd November 2009

Nicky Riley is joining up in January,” said Carlos, matter of factly. The twenty three year old Celtic midfielder had spent the better part of the morning discussing what the move to St Mirren would entail for him. He seemed happy to learn he would be a bit part player, though Tina couldn't work out why.

Tina sighed, “Thank god for that, his agent was being a real pain in my ass.

Carlos sat down across from her, “Are you still confident in bringing the Paixao brothers here?

Carlos, you have to stop questioning me on this. I've made my decision and come to the belief that they will.

Carlos threw his hands up in defence, eager to not be in the direct path of Hurricane Tina. “Hey, I wouldn't be doing my job if I didn't ask these questions. I mean, who will if I don't?

Tina smiled, “You're slowly becoming Gemmill's Spanish counterpart, aren't you?

“I don't know what you mean,” he replied. “Anyway, I need to go speak with Mairi about Fernandes.

What about Fernandes?

You know, he gashed his leg up pretty bad in training.

I know, I was there. So why do you need to see Mairi?

Carlos withdrew, “To see how he's doing.

He's cut his leg, it isn't broken. If I didn't know any better I'd think that you were just after seeing Mairi. But that's just my opinion.

“Yes it is, and it is untrue. We are both professionals just trying to do our jobs.

Tina waved him off, and within a heartbeat he was gone. She smiled to herself, thinking of last night's events with Cassie and comparing them to Carlos and his crush on Mairi. She composed herself when she remembered what actually happened. She had woken up on the sofa in the morning to find she had gone out without waking her. Tina could sense the shame for her former partner. She herself didn't feel any; she was still madly in love with her.

Rodwell made his way into the office without knocking and knocked her off her thought train. “A word if you wouldn't mind, Tina,” he suggested, the option to say no taken away by his sitting down on the chair Carlos had just himself vacated.

Take a seat,” she replied. The sarcastic tone went unnoticed by Rodwell.

I'll be out for the rest of the week, as will my associates, so the running of the club will rest sorely on you. I'm not expecting you to do anything other than babysit the morons you keep close, but just keep an eye on everything. I will be back on Saturday for the Celtic match.

Tina was taken aback a little. “Sorry, did you just say that you are attending this Saturday? You haven't attended a game since you took over.

Well, this is a big one.

I'm sensing that you are softening up, James.

Stop talking.”

Tina nodded, having realised she was overstepping her boundaries in relation to Rodwell. “Anyway, we won't speak again before Saturday evening, so I guess...

Guess what?

I guess... good luck is in order.

Tina feigned confusion, this time the sarcastic tone easily being noticed. “For a moment there it sounded like you wished me well for the first time. Ever.

Rodwell shivered, “I feel wrong on many levels. Look after my club, and make damn sure no-one goes near my office.

Cheers salk. Nope don't play there now as my team dissolved. Currently unattached and looking for a new club.

Tuesday 24th November 2009

You need to start thinking about it sooner, rather than later,” said Gemmill. He had plonked a list in front of Tina regarding players whose contracts were only just over six months from expiring. “I know they're ageing, but they've done a lot of hard work over the last season or so.

Tina rubbed her forehead in response, “I just, I dunno, hate doing this part of the job. I'm effectively going to be firing people.

Pros and cons, Tina, pros and cons. I know that you know that the space in the squad is limited, and these guys probably do too. But keeping them lingering over whether a potential new deal is in the offing is unfair.

Tina nodded, “I already know which of the five will be staying. Jacobs and Davids.

Which Jacobs?

Kyle. Keaghan hasn't done enough to impress me in all truth.

You make the decision on the back of today’s events?

Training today had seen young Kyle Jacobs go down after running hard to reach a ball in a training game. The youngster strained a ligament in his ankle, John McCreadie instantly ruling him out for up to six weeks. It came as a shock for him considering he was on the fringe of breaking into the first team as a rotation player.

“He will bounce back from that, I have no doubt.

The other question begs, Tina. How are we going to go into Saturday's match with Celtic?

I propose a gung-ho method much like the one we put into action against Rangers. They couldn't handle it, and I have that distinct feeling that Celtic won't either.

We're in an excellent position, we know that,” replied Archie. “But we now need to protect what we have instead of potentially throwing it away at Celtic Park. People have noticed us, and what you've been using so effectively at the start of this season can easily be figured out. We had to change the approach against Hibs because Hughes had figured us out early on. Thankfully Brandy was on fire, but if he hadn't been, where would we have finished up in that game?

Tina rolled her eyes, “We did fantastic against Hibs. We controlled the game from the start, and by the end finished with much more possession.

That may be so, but I still propose we go into the Celtic game with a wary attitude. If they don't seem to have latched on to what we are using tactically then by all means hit them full on. But don't go into that match using it straight away otherwise they'll punish us severely.

“Okay, I'll look into it. Geez, you seem to be on a mission today.

It's my job and role to protect you Tina.

From what?

Yourself.

By the end of the day Tina had relented and told Jack Ross, Mo Camara and Keaghan Jacobs that they would not be earning new deals at the end of the season. It was hard for her, but it had to be done. With the leaving of Brandy, Contento, Sneijder and Immobile back to their parent clubs, and the still to be decided futures of Brighton and Innes, it could mean a departure list of nine players. Nine first team players.

That was the real worry. For now preparation for the impending trip to Celtic in four days took precedent. They are the only side other than St Mirren who are unbeaten at home, something that would loom over the visitors heads when the time comes.

• 2 weeks later...

Wednesday 25th November 2009

Today was a sad day for many involved.

Edixon Perea announced his decision to leave and join Q.P.R. For a £1.1million fee in January. “I am going to leave with a heavy heart and a sense of wondering what might have been should I have stayed, but I feel the move is right for me and my family,” is what he told the press. Tina felt some sense of truth to it, but to be fair, a doubling of wages would do that to a person. His £3,400 wage in Paisley would be come just over £8,000 in London, and no-one would really blame him for that.

Fabrice Fernandes also let everyone know that he had come to agree terms with Leeds United, the midfielder happy to be moving on for first team reasons. Leeds sit 2nd in League One, so it's likely that Fabrice will be playing Championship football next term. He will move on for a £350,000 price tag.

Rodwell smiled as he saw the headlines on SkySportsNews, pleased with how the transfers had panned out. Those sales would mean a net profit of £700,000 on both players, not bad for just a couple months of work. It hadn't taken him long to see that money was the language of football, its importance now higher than ever. He was drawn away from his laptop screen by the approach of a beautiful woman, child holding her hand.

“Evening James.”

“Michelle,” he said bluntly before turning to the little girl standing next to her. “And as for you,” he said softly, “I've missed you.

The little girl smiled and hugged Rodwell, “I've missed you too daddy.

She jumped up onto his lap and sat there playing with his laptop, Michelle planting herself in a seat across from him. “We need to talk, James.

What, like the last time, when you walked out on me to be with your gym instructor?”

Michelle rolled her eyes, “We're never going to be able to have a civil conversation regarding our daughter are we? You will never let that happen. The only thing that stops me from completely cutting you out of my life is her, and the fact that she's the only thing that can ever make you seem human and caring,” she replied, knowing the truth about what really brought her here.

And how is Andrew? Well, I hope?

We aren't together any more, though whether that is any of your business is another matter.

Well I'm sorry to hear that.

The pair sat in silence as Summer played on the laptop. Angry Birds was the choice of game she picked, having always played it on daddy's laptop when she saw him. Which wasn't much anymore.

The coffee shop spoke, drank and ate it's way around the three of them, they being the image of broken family life that was all too common in the world now. Michelle broke the silence with three words that sliced right through the heart of James, as uncommon as such a feat was. “We're moving abroad.

What?

We're moving to America, James. My mum and dad live out there, and they've offered us the chance to live in one of their holdings rent free. I can't deprive Summer of a chance to grow up someone other than bloody Scotland.

You can't take her away from me, Michelle. She is my daughter, and I do have rights.

She closed her eyes and looked away, “Don't make it any harder than it already is,” she replied, picking herself up to leave. “I'll pick her up from yours in the morning.

She left with a kiss and a goodbye to Summer, leaving the pair in the café. “I'm moving daddy,” she said, “But I think I will miss you lots. Not as much as CBeebies, because I don't think they have that in USA of America. Is it nice there?

James nodded, “Yes it is,” he said silently, “But don't worry, I won't let you miss out on CBeebies.

Summer didn't hear a word he said.

• 2 weeks later...

Thursday 26th November 2009

The announcement came today of Perea's move in a month time, and it prompted outcry from the Buddies fans. To many of them he had been integral in their rise to such heights, and they'd be very much correct in that. Tina refused to give an interview regarding the move until she had managed to create a statement that wouldn't come across as the club taking a negative stance. Chances are many would see this as a step back, and they'd be right. The arrivals of both Paixao brothers would do little to alleviate them.

Tina was getting ready for heading to St Mirren Park, the TV blaring in the living room as she did so. She was still thinking over what the best course of action regarding the departure of Perea would be, cursing Q.P.R., for their quick announcement last night. The news broke this morning to those who had already gone to the land of nod, but it mattered little. The news still hurt. It even hurt Tina, though in typical style she wouldn't admit it to anyone.

...and now we have St Mirren chairman James Rodwell with us, him kindly agreeing to give us his first TV interview since taking over the helm in Paisley,” the TV blurted out.

Tina stopped dead in her tracks. She was halfway to getting out of the door when his name made life take a massive pause. Rodwell didn't do interviews. Ever.

Now, James, you took over ownership of St Mirren recently, much to the chagrin of the fans based on your previous exploits regarding your mismanagement of Livingston. Why did you make the choice to return to football?

The problem at Livingston was that the business model was so inefficient and problem laden that there was no survival option available to us. We had only a week to try and create a solution for saving the club, and we couldn't. I still feel bad for the decisions we made that week, but me and my associates have come back stronger and more savvy this time, very much prepared for the job ahead.

What made you choose St Mirren?

The structure here was well set-up in our eyes, a well established financial model with the viability for a revenue increase over five years. People, however, need to remember that this is a business, and while I will strive to see St Mirren successful, I will not see them act out of their means and over spend at any point. The recent sale of Perea is evidence of that.

Fans are calling for explanations as to why the clubs best player is leaving in January. Tina Powell has so far been silent on the issue, can you offer them anything?” asked Jeff Stelling. Rodwell took a sip of water before continuing.

The finances of it are the reason, Jeff, I won't tell a lie. The club paid three quarters of a million for him just a couple of months ago. We will have made a healthy profit on him in such a short time, and that can't be ignored by us. The turnover at the club isn't even close to the likes of Celtic and Rangers, and we must continue to function as an SPL club. The example of Gretna is one we cannot allow to happen again, nor is that of Livingston.

You've never really spoken of how you feel about the manager of the club, Tina Powell. She was the pick of former chairman Stewart Gilmour, but what are your views on her?

She is no doubt extremely talented, as shown by her approach to the former club and the fact she was offered the Wales international job aged just twenty eight. She's done great here, but it must also be remembered that she is not our choice of manager. If we perceive to bring someone else in during our tenure, we will. Nobody at the club is safe, especially those at the top of the management hierarchy. There are men I'd prefer to be in the role, but for now Tina does have the safest job at the club.

How far do you think St Mirren can go with her in charge?

“Like I said just before, she's very, very talented. She can be one of the best, but she is also just as liable as any other manager. The problem with taking St Mirren to the top is that she must now continue it, or risk the whole thing being labelled as pot luck, and I can guarantee you we will not accept that.

Tina sat staring at the screen, oblivious to the car horn causing people earache from outside her drive.

Archived