[FM10] "You'll never win anything with kids"

WH

Thanks for the comments and continuing to read :thup:

I'm cobbling together a trophy cabinet post to list the Bulldogs honours over the 20 seasons. Should be able to get to it this evening.

Any requests on teams progress? Obviously needs to be leagues I can look at.

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thanks for the comments and continuing to read :thup:

I'm cobbling together a trophy cabinet post to list the Bulldogs honours over the 20 seasons. Should be able to get to it this evening.

Any requests on teams progress? Obviously needs to be leagues I can look at.

How are Ireland doing since the WC win. And obviously I'd like to see my Betis if you could.

I know its been said countless times by loads of people, but this has to be the best career thread on here right now, just read it all over the last couple of hours at work. Congrats on everything so far! I'm doing a similar career myself with my made up village team but I haven't got as far as WH yet, ill keep trying though.

KUTGW! Great Read!

Thanks gardengnome, Maybe you should post your career in here too. Everyone seems to have these great jobs where they can spend hours on the FMCU forum. At my place they have blocked out anything remotely interesting from the internet.

Trophy cabinet post coming soon. I watched the England match last night instead of coming on here.

I'll post the team updates sometime after that.

CABINET.jpg

CUPS.jpg

LEAGUE TITLES

English Premier League - 2028, 2029

League 2 - 2017

Blue Square Premier - 2014

Blue Square South - 2011

CUPS

F.A. Cup - 2025, 2027

League Cup - 2028, 2029

EUROPEAN TROPHIES

Europa League - 2028

European Super Cup - 2028

MINOR TROPHIES

Community Shield - 2027, 2028

How are Ireland doing since the WC win. And obviously I'd like to see my Betis if you could.

Ireland

After the 2026 World Cup win, Manager Glen Whelan left and had spells with Aberdeen and Arsenal as a youth coach. He has just been appointed Everton Manager. His Replacement was former Burnley, Villa and Chelsea manager Owen Coyle.

In 2027 the future looked good for Ireland as their U21 team won the U21 European Championships.

Ireland Qualified for the 2028 Euro Championships but were knocked out in the group stages. They finished 3rd behind Germany and Holland. Scotland Ended up winning this competition. (The limitations of only adding players from UK and Ireland is now showing itself)

Ireland are currently 2nd in their World Cup qualifying group but have just sacked Owen Coyle. He was replaced with Lee Doran (regen) who is 31 and Has no history as a player of staff member. He does have National Reputation though.

Betis Gained promotion to the Spanish top Division in 2011 through the playoffs. Unfortunately they were relegated 3 seasons later after 3 seasons of struggle.

It only took 2 seasons to bounce back and once again win promotion, this time as Champions. Since then Betis have spent 13 seasons as a mid table team in the Spanish top division. The only highlight was finishing runners up in the Spanish Cup in 2024

Hampton & Richmond, please tell me they've at least stayed in the BSS

Hampton & Richmond started as a good Blue Square South team and were in the top 8 for the first 5 seasons. They improved in 2014/15 and were promoted to the Blue Square Premier as Champions.

They struggled to come to terms with the new league and were fighting for suvival for 4 seasons before finally being relegated in 2018/19.

The struggles were not over as for 8 miserable seasons they were fighting to stay in the Blue Square South.

Fortunes changed quickly in 2027/28 as a much improved side managed to finish runners up and once again win promotion.

They nearly won promotion to the football league in their first year back in the BSP, finishing 3rd but losing out in the playoffs.

Hampton & Richmond started as a good Blue Square South team and were in the top 8 for the first 5 seasons. They improved in 2014/15 and were promoted to the Blue Square Premier as Champions.

They struggled to come to terms with the new league and were fighting for suvival for 4 seasons before finally being relegated in 2018/19.

The struggles were not over as for 8 miserable seasons they were fighting to stay in the Blue Square South.

Fortunes changed quickly in 2027/28 as a much improved side managed to finish runners up and once again win promotion.

They nearly won promotion to the football league in their first year back in the BSP, finishing 3rd but losing out in the playoffs.

:eek: I am impressed, a rare H+R success story. So close to football league as well :D. Thanks for the update:thup:

Ireland

After the 2026 World Cup win, Manager Glen Whelan left and had spells with Aberdeen and Arsenal as a youth coach. He has just been appointed Everton Manager. His Replacement was former Burnley, Villa and Chelsea manager Owen Coyle.

In 2027 the future looked good for Ireland as their U21 team won the U21 European Championships.

Ireland Qualified for the 2028 Euro Championships but were knocked out in the group stages. They finished 3rd behind Germany and Holland. Scotland Ended up winning this competition. (The limitations of only adding players from UK and Ireland is now showing itself)

Ireland are currently 2nd in their World Cup qualifying group but have just sacked Owen Coyle. He was replaced with Lee Doran (regen) who is 31 and Has no history as a player of staff member. He does have National Reputation though.

Betis Gained promotion to the Spanish top Division in 2011 through the playoffs. Unfortunately they were relegated 3 seasons later after 3 seasons of struggle.

It only took 2 seasons to bounce back and once again win promotion, this time as Champions. Since then Betis have spent 13 seasons as a mid table team in the Spanish top division. The only highlight was finishing runners up in the Spanish Cup in 2024

Thanks for that. I can put Betis' lack of success down to one thing, they keep hiring beardless managers!

Thanks for that. I can put Betis' lack of success down to one thing, they keep hiring beardless managers!

Don't know if it's due to not having Spain as a playable country or not clicking the add key staff thing at the start of the game. But in the Landmarks section for Betis, the last entry for a manager is 2014. So it's not just beardless managers, it's nameless or no manager at all. :D

Don't know if it's due to not having Spain as a playable country or not clicking the add key staff thing at the start of the game. But in the Landmarks section for Betis, the last entry for a manager is 2014. So it's not just beardless managers, it's nameless or no manager at all. :D

Well the beard is the only reason why I can see how I'm getting success.

P.S. no play-offs in Spain 1st 3 up.

Leyton Orient and Chelmsford City please :)

After 9 years in League 1 Leyton Orient eventually succumbed to the relegation they had been fighting off for so long. Ever since, they have been a yo-yo club between League 1 and 2. Although it is ultimately a disappointing situation for their fans they have had something to cheer about along the way with 2 league 2 titles. Orient seem to have a policy of appointing managers from non league football during my game. They have had 10 managers in the 20 years of game time.They currently sit 4th in League 2 so maybe they can add a third league 2 title to their list of honours.

Chelmsford City gained promotion to the Conference premier in the first season through the playoffs but were quickly relegated in the following year. After 3 top 4 finishes in the next 5 seasons, they managed promotion once again through the playoffs. 8 solid years in the conference premier came to an end in 2025 as they were relegated back to the conference south. Since then they have been struggling to make the top 10 and currently sit in 11th place. They have only had 3 managers in 20 seasons, their latest in a young manager from non league football with an unimpressive record of 114 losses from 249 games.

"YOU'LL NEVER WIN ANYTHING WITH KIDS."

BRITISH BULLDOGS - ENGLISH PREMIER DIVISION

BulldogsFINAL.png

2029/30 PRE SEASON

NEWS

I am now finally listed as a club Icon.

The shareholders enjoyed a payout of £19.25M.

My Chairman Mark English decided to step aside as chairman after 20 years. His vision of a successful team developed from youth players has been achieved beyond his wildest dreams and now board member Paul Maguire takes charge.

We sold 24000 season tickets for the coming season.

Sudden interest from around the world threatens to dismantle my team of staff. I'll be fighting hard to keep them.

SQUAD

The new intake of youth players arrived and striker
looks a good prospect. Also another Promising player is
who I am almost certain is
my son.
He is the only player in the youth squad with me listed as his favoured personnel and has the same surname which also backs up my theory.
;)

PRE SEASON

Pre season was a bit shorter this season with only 4 games but we won 3 and lost 1. Including a big 5-0 win over Monaco which was on T.V.

EXPECTATIONS

The board expect us to qualify for the champions league by finishing in the top 4 . The media are predicting a 2nd place finish.

After 9 years in League 1 Leyton Orient eventually succumbed to the relegation they had been fighting off for so long. Ever since, they have been a yo-yo club between League 1 and 2. Although it is ultimately a disappointing situation for their fans they have had something to cheer about along the way with 2 league 2 titles. Orient seem to have a policy of appointing managers from non league football during my game. They have had 10 managers in the 20 years of game time.They currently sit 4th in League 2 so maybe they can add a third league 2 title to their list of honours.

Chelmsford City gained promotion to the Conference premier in the first season through the playoffs but were quickly relegated in the following year. After 3 top 4 finishes in the next 5 seasons, they managed promotion once again through the playoffs. 8 solid years in the conference premier came to an end in 2025 as they were relegated back to the conference south. Since then they have been struggling to make the top 10 and currently sit in 11th place. They have only had 3 managers in 20 seasons, their latest in a young manager from non league football with an unimpressive record of 114 losses from 249 games.

Nice one, thank you. Re:Leyton Orient, this game is so realistic. We promise so much yet deliver so little. Melodramatic disappointment is a way of life for O's fans :D Thanks!

Do you have him under your favourite personnel? I think that would confirm it.

Anyway, good luck with him. And you wanted to stop the save sometime before? ;)

Favouritism ftw! :thup:

I don't seem to have a favourite personnel section in my profile so I can't confirm that one. Although he only has half a star for current ability and 2.5 stars for potential he could well find himself in the first team squad for League cup games and the odd League game.

Thanks for the comments guys.

I dont think they have to be in your faves, as long as you are in theirs, you could always check through some other fathers and sons on the game to check. Although Howard isnt really a rare surname.

I checked Paul Ince, His son Thomas has Paul in his favorites but not the other way round. I'm going to assume he is my son from now on and will update on any interesting developments. I have got the new season started now.

Wow. It may be 3:26am now, but staying up to read this was well worth it. an amazing story. so i guess there isnt much i can say that somebody else hasnt said yet. Im currently doing my dafuge's challenge (just got to league one with Merthyr Tydfil today!) and i cant wait to merge that club with a youth policy similar to yours once i reach the top flight. so, can i request a club update? or clubs.. How have shrewsbury and bury done? im also curious if chester ever made it back into professional football on your save?

Thanks for all the comments amd taking the time to read through, It's good to know other people are enjoying it too :thup:

I'm about 2 thirds of the season through now. I'll give the club updates soon when I have a chance to get back on it.

Shrewsbury town manager Paul Simpson guided his side to promotion from league 2 in 2011. While the fans were still celebrating Ipswich town were arranging a deal to take him as their new manager.

His replacement, Mick Harford was sent packing after 2 uneventful seasons.

Justin Edinburgh took over but led the team to relegation within 4 seasons, that was enough for the chairman as he stepped aside and the new appointment (from within) promptly sacked his manager.

Former Liverpool legend John Barnes was the man to take over and he soon had Shrewsbury promoted after winning the playoff in his second attempt. Three seasons of consolation led to three finishes in the bottom half of the table and the board once again decided to replace their manager.

His replacement John Gayle was giver longer and it payed off. After 3 low finishes, fortunes changed and 2 unsuccessful play off appearances followed. There was soon something to cheer as a runners up finish resulted in promotion to the championship in 2027. The next year Shrewsbury bounced straight back down to league 1, but surprisingly the board stuck by their manager and were rewarded with another promotion, through the play offs this time.

Gayle retired shortly after and was replaced by former Rochdale and Watford manager Keith Hill. Hill had past success leading Rochdale to the League 2 title and is doing well this season, currently in a respectable 7th place just outside the play off positions.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chester city are on their 4th chairman and 4th manager in 20 years as they have struggled for stability from the top down.

Chester spent 14 years in the Blue Square Premier before being relegated to the Blue Square North. Current manager Richard Brush was appointed when the club were already guaranteed to go down.

Things looked bleak but Brush was an instant hit finishing runners up in the first season but missing out in the playoffs. In 2024 he acheived a strong 4th placed finish and gained promotion through the playoffs. 3 top 6 finishes in the BS Premier followed and promotion was once again achieved through the play offs after a 2nd spot finish. So Chester returned to league football and held their place finishing 15th and look set to repeat that again this year.

True to life Norwich have had a mix of success, failures and instability through the game. ( I always keep an eye on them as they are a fairly local side )

Paul Lambert led his side to the play offs in the first season but never recovered from the loss and was shown the door early into the second season.

Steve Staunton was the first of several young managers given a chance at Carrow road. He was soon gone after a mid table finish in league 1.

Experienced manager Ian Holloway was next through the door. He was in charge for 7 years. The highlight of his time was a 2012 play off win as Norwich returned to the Championship and a 2016 F.A. Cup final appearance where his side lost out to Burnley. Things turned sour for Holloway as he was sacked in 2017 with his side struggling at the bottom of the championship after holding their own for 4 years.

As Norwich returned to league 1 the chairman left. An Argentinian consortium took over , led by former international player Esteban Cambiasso.

Cambiasso quickly appointed former Man Utd defender Wes Brown as manager who had previous experience as manager of Watford in league 1. Norwich finished a dismal 20th place and Brown was sent packing.

Former Preston manager Robert Kelly was then appointed. Kelly led Norwich to a 12th place finish in his first year then pushed on and delivered promotion through the play offs after a 3rd place finish in 2020. Joy soon turned to despair as Norwich came crashing back down one season later and Kelly was no more.

Cambiasso showed his lack of local knowledge by appointing former Ipswich player David Wright as th next manager. Although Wright helped Norwich to top 8 finishes for 2 seasons It was never going to be enough for the Norwich Faithful and Wright was another Managerial casualty of the club.

Next up was former Bolton defender Gary Cahill and despite his efforts his side finished 4th but lost in the play offs and he was shown the door only a year after taking charge.

Former arsenal youngster Jay Simpson was given his first managers job and he certainly took his chance, leading Norwich back to the Championship as league 1 winners in 2025. Two top 8 finishes followed for the impressive Simpson as Norwich settled in the Championship. This success started to attract the interest of other clubs and Simpson eventually left to take the Leeds Utd job. He then led Leeds into the Premier League.

Norwich negotiated a deal to take Leeds coach Rhys Williams as their next manager but he was sacked within a year as his team finished 15th in the league.

Ajax youth coach Albert Stuivenberg is the latest Norwich manager and he kept his job despite a 19th place finish last season. This season he looks to be leading Norwich to a top 10 finish.

10 managers in 21 seasons! thats almost as bad as Q.P.R.

Sounds like true to life from the canaries, to be honest. Although, we're heading upwards at the moment in real life, lets hope it stays that way. A bad managerial turnover though, especially with the signing of the Ipswich man.

On another note, Jay Simpson seems like he is doing well as a manager :thup:

Very good, look forward to the season update.

"YOU'LL NEVER WIN ANYTHING WITH KIDS."

BRITISH BULLDOGS - ENGLISH PREMIER DIVISION

BulldogsFINAL.png

SEASON UPDATE - 2029/30

Media Prediction - 4th

Board expectations - Runners up.

SEASON SUMMARY

• League

We started the season with a comfortable community shield win against Colchester at Wembley.

Former Bulldogs midfielder
decided it was time to move on having spent 18 years at the club as a player and more recently a coach. He went to Plymouth and was appointed First team coach.

We suffered a frustrating start to the season with teams more than happy to sit back and play for a draw. Opponents seemed to be playing very defensively and making it hard for us to break them down. We were hit on the counter attack on several occasions and were dropping far too many points. Goals were hard to come by only scoring 16 in the first 12 games. With a third of the season gone we were a massive 11 points off the top and in 8th place with 5 wins, 4draws and 3 losses.

Former Liverpool Legend
decided he wanted another crack at management and left to take the West Ham job. It will be a tough job with the Hammers sitting at the bottom of the table.

I knew something had to change sooner rather than later, so I abandoned our normal counter attacking style and employed a far more attacking set up. It was risky and we were still vulnerable to teams hitting us on the break. But we had to do something to attempt to break these teams down. It seemed to be paying off straight away. Our form picked up with more wins coming our way and we started to score more goals along the way. We won 10 drew 1 and lost 2 during the mid season spell. This form pushed us up the table to third, just 3 points behind leaders Man City and second place Man Utd. At this point there looked to be 4 teams left with a shot at the title.

An incredible run in saw us unbeaten in 12 games and keeping 7 clean sheets along the way. Unfortunately for us the two Manchester clubs had also been in fine form so with just one game to go the title was
. We had the toughest of the 3 games with Arsenal standing in our way. We produced a fine display under pressure to win 2-0 and claim our third premier league title. Our form in the final third of the season was exceptional with 11 wins and 2 draws.

• Cups

In the
FA Cup
We got through to the 6th round with wins against Oldham, Crystal Palace and Reading. But Man City were too strong for us. City went on to win the competition.

In the
League Cup
We beat Ipswich, Oldham, Swindon and Arsenal on route to the final. We were up against man Utd in the final, we destroyed them 4-0 at wembley to lift the league cup for the third time in 3 seasons.

A tough draw saw us in the same group as Lyon and Inter in the
Champions league
group stage . 12 points was enough to see us finish 2nd in the group behind Lyon. Despite a first leg win over Marseille we crashed out of the champions league after a dreadful 2-0 second leg loss at home. We are Still struggling to make an impact in this competition.

TRANSFERS

• Outgoing

A total of 13 players left for a combined fee of £11.25m. The most notable were;

.Sold to Man City for £4.5m. The keeper was looking for a new challenge after young keeper Derek Gunn emerged as a very good keeper and broke into the first team.

was sold to Atalanta for £4m. He had fallen down the pecking order to younger players. The wingback had been at the club for 14 years.

• Incoming

My scouts had a lot of trouble finding players with the potential to make an impact for the team. Only 2 players were brought in.

cost £250k from MK Dons. He is 16 and My scouts say he has the potential to be a good Premier Division Defender.

is a 17 year old Swedish Goalkeeper and is already playing for the Swedish U21 side. If he lives up to his potential (4 stars) he could soon be in the first team.

STATISTICS

• Top scorer

• Most Assists

• Most Man OF Match

• Highest Average Rating

7.66 from 30 apps.

Squad Stats

FORMER PLAYERS

Now 34, Played 41 times for Q.P.R this season after his free transfer from Derby. Q.P.R. finished 19th in league 1 and Rains has a year left on his current contract.

Played 26 times as he helped Derby to a 5th placed finish in the premier league this season.

Played 32 times as Sevilla improved to finish 3rd in the Spanish top division.

Scored 25 goals in 43 games for Newcastle this season. Newcastle finished 11th in the league.

Had another great season scoring 24 goals for Shakhtar from 35 appearances. He has been transfer listed and his contract is almost finished. I can only assume the club want to save his £20k per week wages.

Went to Glasgow Rangers on a one year deal and made 26 appearances as Rangers finished 5th in the league. Shields now plans to retire. Shields played 518 league games in his 17 year career.

FORMER STAFF

Came of age as a manager, He guided his West Brom team to a 6th place finish and a playoff win to gain promotion to the Premier League. Whats more he made a £10m profit for his club in the transfer market this season.

Was sacked by Bolton after a poor start to the season. He took over fellow Championship struggler's Birmingham and finished 18th (3 places behind Bolton) He is currently disappointed with how things are going.

took over as West Ham manager early in the season. The Hammers were stuck in a relegation battle but Gerrard managed to lead them to 16th place and safety.

MY SONS CAREER UPDATE

Barry Howard Played 8 times for the Bulldogs scoring 2 assists. He was loaned out to feeder club Exeter who he represented 15 times and helped them to promotion through the playoffs.

PLANS FOR NEXT SEASON

Looking to bring more youngsters through the youth system, just need some better quality coming through. Would be great to have a better performance in the Champions league. It's the one we have left to win.

British Bulldogs Summary

Season    Team                   League                   Position            Achievements
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

09-10     BULLDOGS      Isthmian Premier Division           3RD           Promoted > playoffs
10-11     BULLDOGS      Blue Square South                   1ST           Promoted > Champions
11-12     BULLDOGS      Blue Square Premier Division        9TH                
12-13     BULLDOGS      Blue Square Premier Division        5TH           Lost in playoff semi final
13-14     BULLDOGS      Blue Square Premier Division        1ST           Promoted > Champions
14-15     BULLDOGS      Coca-Cola League 2                  9TH
15-16     BULLDOGS      Coca-Cola League 2                  6TH           Lost in Play-off Final & JPT Runners up
16-17     BULLDOGS      Coca-Cola League 2                  1ST           Promoted > Champions
17-18     BULLDOGS      Coca-Cola League 1                  5TH           Promoted > Playoffs
18-19     BULLDOGS      Coca-Cola Championship              17TH         
19-20     BULLDOGS      Coca-Cola Championship              8TH
20-21     BULLDOGS      Coca-Cola Championship              3RD           Promoted> Playoffs
21-22     BULLDOGS      Premier Division                    13TH    
22-23     BULLDOGS      Premier Division                    11TH
23-24     BULLDOGS      Premier Division                    13TH
24-25     BULLDOGS      Premier Division                    7TH          FA Cup winners> Qualified for Euro Cup.
25-26     BULLDOGS      Premier Division                    4TH           Qualified for Champions League
26-27     BULLDOGS      Premier Division                    2ND         FA Cup Winners> Qualified for champions league
27-28     BULLDOGS      Premier Division                    1ST          CS / EPL /LC / EL  winners (Treble)
28-29     BULLDOGS      Premier Division                    1ST          CS / EPL /LC / ESC winners (Treble)
29-30     BULLDOGS      Premier Division                    1ST          CS / EPL /LC

• 2 weeks later...

Really interesting career. :)

Are you planning a similar challenge for FM11? Or something a bit different?

Edit: Your thread also inspired me to make my own facegen for my manager, and after looking for something suitable on google images, I decided to hijack your jacket too. :D

managerfacegentracksuit.png

The shirts your players are wearing look really great too. Where did you get them from?

Thanks for the comments.

I'm not sure what I will do with 2011. I was going to miss that one out at first, but when they revealed the dynamic league reputation I changed my mind. I might keep this one going a while longer but now I have reached the top it's not so much fun.

Nice pic Jimmy, I got the players shirts from one of the origional player pictures. I found them using the archiver tool that comes with the game.

• 4 weeks later...

It's officially over! I can't get this one to load now for some reason it says it's corrupted.

I'm not too worried as It did run for a long time. It's the longest game i've played on FM.

To sum it up we got to the top with just kids. The champions league was the only trophy we missed out on. We had a new stadium built, I got a son and we won an award along the way.

Thanks for all the Views and comments :thup:

I might be back soon but only if I can dedicate the time to it. Work is still busy at the moment.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived