[WIP] Hershie's Cypriot League Update - Top four divisions + Cups

Hershie

25141629.png

I've been working on this, and I think it's worth posting even though I'm still in the testing and perfection stages. I could do with a bit of help.

I understand there are others working on Cyprus too, so perhaps it would be a good idea to combine our efforts.

Anyway..

This contains (v0.3 onwards):

- 3 leagues of 14 teams (Marfin Laiki, B Division, C Division) and 1 league of 15 teams (D Division)

- Cypriot Cup

- C&D Division Cup

- Super Cup

- Past winners added for all tournaments

- Youth teams

- Logos for all teams

- Logos for competitions

- New media sources

- Awards [real + fictional]

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Planned changes/fixes:

A few known issues (updated as of 4th November 2009):

- The split of the league into groups (1-4, 5-8, 9-12 with 13+14 relegated) can, as far as I can see, not be replicated. I have replaced this with a simple league of 14 teams, as the previous setup was not working as intended.

- Some graphics are not perfect. The competition ones are not great, while some of the club ones may appear blurred/pixelated at higher resolutions. I'm using a high resolution though, and they look more than fine in the game.

- Financial difficulty. Cypriot clubs are largely not in a good financial position, but in the game they suffered from widespread financial turmoil. I am thus trying to rebalance the situation, allowing successful and big teams to prosper if managed properly, while trying not to be too unrealistic or over-optimistic. However, I am aiming to make the league more fun to play, and thus may leave finances at a slightly overly high level in some circumstances. Figures for TV money, sponsorship and prize money may not be truly accurate, but playability is the important thing.

- I don't know what the reserve/youth setup in Cyprus is, but I saw that at least one of the clubs has won both U21 and U17 championships. As it is not possible to include U17, I opted to include U21 and U18 teams instead. If anyone knows of a better/correct system, please let me know.

If anyone finds any more issues, please post them.

Some Screenshots (v0.2):

aelc.th.jpg marfin.th.jpg 3rdy.th.jpg

http://img692.imageshack.us/img692/8294/clubs.jpg

I'm more than happy to upload a screenshot of a particular club on request.

DOWNLOAD LINK - Version 0.6.2:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/9cm2kh

- with graphics

XML only:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/rlg3q9

(Updated 6th March 2010)

Version 0.6.0 is here!

v0.6.0 Changelist:

- Fixed/improved logos

- Improved transfer preferences

- Improved fixture scheduling

- Corrected kits in game

- Ensured 10.3 compatability

- Checked all recent transfers are included

- Fine tuned dates/finances/rules etc.

- Minor other fixes/changes

NOT YET tested considerably. Working on loading though, so any feedback would be appreciated.

------

v0.5 Changelist:

- Re-did logos, added new/improved ones where available.

- Added relegation from D Division - created a basic pool of a few teams currently in STOK below D Division as an inactive league.

- Improved transfer preferences

- Attempted to improve fixture scheduling

- Moved Coca Cola Cup games to Wednesdays

Tested considerably.

Thanks to The Guy From The Sunny Place and Candre168 for information and advice.

If there are still issues with awards, I shall start them from scratch!

Please report any bugs/issues.

------

v0.4 Changelist:

- Added new 'shiny' logos.

- Included created logos for two clubs based on poor quality real images

- Added facepacks for the 'big three' - Omonoia, APOEL, Anorthosis

- (Possibly) Fixed awards*

- Fixed Dobrasinovic's nationality (to declared for Cyprus)

- Added Omonoia youth prospect Theodosis Kyprou to the DB

- Removed Aguirre and La Cruz from their contracts at Omonoia as in reality

*Are some issues regarding problems occuring under unknown cirmcumstances. Seem largely fixed however and any issues are very minor.

Tested considerably. Date unknown but a number of years both played and holidayed.

------

v0.3 Changelist:

- Added D Division and created a number of teams within.

- Added C&D Division Cup.

- Added logos for newly created teams where possible.

- Corrected/improved logos for some existing teams

- Tweaked finances (again!)

- Fixed awards

- Renamed divisions to their correct names

- Renamed 'Player of the Month' to 'Carlberg Player of the Month Award'

- Added new media sources

- Corrected team kits and colours where needed.

- Erroneous 3rd kits deleted/replaced.

- A few other fixes/changes

Tested up until 2020

-------

v0.21 Changelist:

- Adjusted finances (prize money, tv money, parachute payments)

- Adjusted some ticket prices and figures

- Added (fictional) awards

Tested up until 2023

-------

v0.2 Changelist:

- Added to league history -Winners for all competitions; top 3 for Marfin League back to 1990.

- Replaced league structure with basic 28-match setup.

- Corrected sorting issues

- Added Ahyronas Liopetri (thanks to weeble)

- Icons/logos improved

- Finances rebalanced

- Media sources fixed and added

- Cypriot Player of the Year award added

Tested up until 2013

FM 10: Official Cypriot League Management thread:

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=163877

Big thanks to Candre168 and The Guy From The Sunny Place for information, advice, figures and translation.

Also thanks to weeble for finding and sharing information about Ahyronas Liopetri.

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yep. I've been speaking to Candre and he told me of the issues with play-offs. I may give it a try however.

I decided against one split after the top 4, because this would leave too many games to be played, with the 5th to 14th place all having to play each other twice over.

:(

Cyprus is impossible to implement properly onto FM , due to the playoff system, so I think having a league that just ends after 26 games is the closest you will get.

A lot of effort went into getting this very accurate with the logos and effort though :thup:

Thanks. :)

I'm not sure about how to do it really. I'll leave it as it is unless it annoys me or strikes me as weird; I like the idea of having the top teams fighting it out at the end.

Hopefully people will like this; that's my main priority. :D If anyone has definitive information on some of the issues please let me know.

After a few seasons testing this, I have decided to scrap the split entirely, as it doesn't work quite as it should, and it's not right that a team with significantly fewer points could win the league, or that a team in 7th could end up on 70, for example.

For that reason, I have decided to, as recommended by Candre, simply revert to a standard league setup until the league hopefully becomes properly implemented in future.

Additionally, I have noticed that teams were getting into financial difficulties worryingly often. While I know the Cypriot league isn't the biggest earner or the most valuable league in the world, and too the clubs often have large debts, I think the only way to stop the League from entering free-fall could be to have unrealistically high prize and TV money.

I've found this http://www.thesportjournal.org/article/important-parameters-football-industry-cyprus-challenges-and-opportunities which I am studying and attempting to use to create a more sustainable situation. I may have to have some figures and prizes unfeasably high, or mess with clubs finances (ticket prices and loans) to make this work.

I think I may need to use creative license. I'd rather play a fun league than one in constant economic turmoil.

:(

You have often to decide, which is more important in your game: realism or in-game playability. Realism is hard to implement into the lower leagues as the financial model of FM is based on professional clubs, not semi-pro or amateur clubs. If you go for in-game playability, you have to aliment clubs with extra money. One way is to setup additional cup competitions with appearance money in the first and second round. I did test and try the financial figures in my fantasy Swiss league until I found a good balance. Most clubs earn enough money to survive and the more successful have the chance to become secure.

The top division is very much professional. The problem is that the clubs are largely owned and run by the fans, with little knowledge of how to run a business rather than a football team. Also, with football being very important in the country, the fanaticism of the fans has lead to over optimism. What you have suggested is what I'm looking to do. I'm trying to make the successful have a chance to prosper if run properly, and make sure those who aren't don't fall to pieces.

I've got some testing to do, so I'm removing the download link for now.

However, in view of the financial problems of the football clubs in the country and in the attempt by the government to assist the clubs to get through this financial crisis, the government decided two years ago to provide a grant of Euro 10,251,608 over a four year period. Additionally, the Cyprus Sport Organization returns to the individual football clubs a total sum of Euro 717,612 per year, which represents taxes collected on gate income as well as community taxes (T. Christofides, personal communication, April 10, 2007).

I'm trying to decipher this. The clubs each get about Euro700,000 over four years (10000000/14) + about 50000 a year (700000/14)? Should I perhaps set this as recurring grants, if possible?

The top division is very much professional. The problem is that the clubs are largely owned and run by the fans, with little knowledge of how to run a business rather than a football team. Also, with football being very important in the country, the fanaticism of the fans has lead to over optimism. What you have suggested is what I'm looking to do. I'm trying to make the successful have a chance to prosper if run properly, and make sure those who aren't don't fall to pieces.

I've got some testing to do, so I'm removing the download link for now.

I'm trying to decipher this. The clubs each get about Euro700,000 over four years (10000000/14) + about 50000 a year (700000/14)? Should I perhaps set this as recurring grants, if possible?

Not sure about grants, so perhaps just set it as league prize money (adding on to any you already have in there, if any). So every position gets at least €700k?

Me, The Guy From The Sunny Place and Candre are discussing how to do this, and we've agreed that:

- It's better to be over the real figures than leave teams in unrealistically high debt that they can't get out of

- A priority is adjusting ticket prices and figures

I've been working on adding sponsorship and other income for the top flight teams. I don't think the second division teams have all that much income beyond their tickets; same with the third.

Good luck with this.

In Cypriot football transfers that do not involve free agents are rare, and the general financial state is not good. I wouldn't include the 3rd division as there aren't any players available for those teams, or at least each team has 5-6 players at most. Even 2n division teams have limited squads.

I created a Cypriot game of my own, with my own rules(24 teams in top division, no relegation etc) and I'm currently testing it btw

Thanks. :D

I like the idea of being able to do something with the 3rd division teams, and there is enough in the DB that I'd consider it a waste if the 3rd division teams weren't used. 5/6 players is still better than some of the teams you could get promoted into divisions in the past. :)

Okay, this has caused something very weird to happen.

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?p=4132103

I created Ahyronas Liopetri to add into the Cypriot Third Division, and added no players for them in the db.

When I loaded the game, I found Sandy Martens (36 year old Belgium striker) randomly in the team. According to the editor, he is contracted to KSV Oudenaarde, and I have not been anywhere near him, and he has not been put into the Ahyronas Liopetri side.

He's also showing with the unique ID of 0.

Any explainations?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Regardless of this, I'm currently testing long-term finances. I think they may be slightly too high, ie clubs end up too secure, but it's better that than broke. I may make a few further tweaks, if things look too unrealistic, but I hope to have this fixed as best possible by tonight. :)

That´s strange. I had that Martens only when there comes a message about the current captain. When there is non selected, it's always Martens (for all added clubs), but he's usually not in the squad. Just like a placeholder, (ID=0, first player in the database).

Maybe you should log that issue as a bug and upload a saved game.

Thanks very much. :D

Better safe than sorry. ;)

That´s strange. I had that Martens only when there comes a message about the current captain. When there is non selected, it's always Martens (for all added clubs), but he's usually not in the squad. Just like a placeholder, (ID=0, first player in the database).

Maybe you should log that issue as a bug and upload a saved game.

I have. :) I've linked it above.

Okay, well this is by no means 100% perfect, but I think this is in a state to share. I think I've sorted all the issues from the previous few posts. A new link is now in the main post. :)

There are also some screenshots and additions/changes. Feedback would be very appreciated.

v0.2 Changelist:

- Added to league history -Winners for all competitions; top 3 for Marfin League back to 1990.

- Replaced league structure with basic 28-match setup.

- Corrected sorting issues

- Added Ahyronas Liopetri (thanks to weeble)

- Icons/logos improved

- Finances rebalanced

- Media sources fixed and added

- Cypriot Player of the Year award added

:)

I have fixed the Sandy Martens issue. It was caused by one or more of:

- An erroneous player set as non-playing staff

- Captain and vice set as same player

- Lack of real players

I removed the contract of the wrongly appointed player, created another two players (two real players from the team albeit with fictional DOB) and made one captain. Et viola. :)

Yes, overall the finances are good although I'd make a few edits. The mid table clubs stay a float and the top 3 are secure although at some points in the season they drop to insecure.

Overall it's an excellent patch, but a balance with the finances is yet to be found imo.

I think maybe I need to lower the prize money and sponsorships, and increase TV money and how often games are shown (if possible).

What about lower league? :)

Season tickets should go up for some clubs, and the attendances are a little low sometimes.

I didn't check for the lower leagues.

In 2012, it seems half the division 3 teams are 'okay' and the rest 'insecure'. Division 2 are largely 'secure' or 'okay'. I think the prize money in these leagues needs to be lowered a little.

Most of the top flight teams are 'secure' with a few 'okay', so I think I need to increase the gap between the top teams and the others by lowering prize money, tweaking TV money and raising ticket prices, attendances and investment for the big teams.

Overall it seems much more playable now though, agree? :D

In 2012, it seems half the division 3 teams are 'okay' and the rest 'insecure'. Division 2 are largely 'secure' or 'okay'. I think the prize money in these leagues needs to be lowered a little.

Most of the top flight teams are 'secure' with a few 'okay', so I think I need to increase the gap between the top teams and the others by lowering prize money, tweaking TV money and raising ticket prices, attendances and investment for the big teams.

Overall it seems much more playable now though, agree? :D

Yes I'd say it's playable for sure. I think I'll use yours when I want to start a proper Cyprus save as it's the best and most researched around at the moment. I'd keep tweaking with finances to get it just right. The 2nd division clubs should literally have JUST enough to get by, with the middle-table first division clubs enough to get by and the top clubs with enough to attract good players.

Yep, that's exactly what I'm thinking. The 3rd division seems pretty right. Financial trouble but not forced straight into unpayable debt and bankruptcy. The 2nd division needs toning down, and the top flight needs unbalancing now I know where I need to be. :)

Oh, and thanks. :D

Yes, the third division clubs have NO money but they won't be spending any on players or anything. All they need is JUST enough to have somewhere to play :D.

The second division should have a little more to spend on wages and enough to play in something better than a farm :D.

The bottom/middle first division clubs should have enough to run and spend money on wages but nothing special.

The top 4/5 clubs should have enough to get good players and run comfortably.

Well done for this effort.

Thanks Christian ;)

I think the top clubs rely on keeping debts in order and investment from owners and sponsors, rather than prize money. Thus why I think it's hard to break the top 3, but not impossible, and why Omonia can sign the best players without much success in recent years. I think prize money going down and sponsorship and ticket prices going up would create a greater imbalance, but that's the way Cypriot football is, right?

I mean, it's hard to break into the top into any european league...England/Spain or even smaller leagues like Cyprus. It shouldn't be impossible for the user as that defeats the purpose, but yes it is hard to take Pafos to the top unless you win a cup or something.

I don't want to make it impossible by any means, but Cyprus is one of those leagues where runs of one team dominating is more common. I thus want to make it so runs of dominance like Omonoia's or APOEL's are possible, and so good management is essential for financial stability. Similarly, over a long period of time, the big clubs haven't changed too much and have always had the significant following and investment, so I expect that to remain.

As in reality, to prosper and break the top 3 requires good financial management as well as football management. :)

I think part of the reason for the lack of domination is due to short-sighted economics, ie. spending lots to challenge the bigger sides, then ending up in financial trouble. I want to obviously allow for successful teams to prosper, and for those badly managed to suffer, but not to the extent that they can never recover.

I don't think I'm too far from finding the right balance. :D

I made a few tweaks last night and I've tested it up until 2023. (Not bad in 5 hours holidaying :cool:)

Finances seem slightly too high for top teams still maybe, but I think I may leave it more or less where it is. It seems from closer inspection that teams have sold players considerably more than they have bought them, so the stability comes from good management, as I'm looking for.

cant wait to play this like famagusta here we come...... hershie is the download link on the first post the most up to date iw the one you have tested to 2023????

It's not. It has very minor differences, and I'll try and get the new file up within a few minutes, once I sort out a few award-related issues.

Archived