Gundo's FM10 European Adventure Challenge™

my main problem seems to retaining a lead...i am not having problems scoring goals, generally i tend to take the lead, but as the game wears on i more often than not lose sloppy goals, and as a result drawn a lot of games i should really have come out on top in. i seem fairly tactically naive when it comes to the defensive aspect of the game. any tips?

Taking the lead is important and gives you a good foundation. I normally alter my tactics soon after the opposition makes their first substitution or about the 1hr mark depending on the circumstances. I would replace an MC with a DMC for example, and set them as an anchorman. I will also take off one of my ST's and either replace with a poacher or at least someone with a bit of pace, to work their tired legs.

Also, at this sort of point (if i'm in the lead) i change the mindset to defensive and tell my DC's to stay back. I generally play with variations of a 4-4-2, but always start with the same set up.

4 - with DR and DL set as wingbacks, not fullbacks.

3 - with LM and RM set as Wingers and MC set as box to box

1- AMC set as a free role

2 - ST

I also give the players greater licence and fluidity in the game itself.

Hope you find some of this information useful!! :)

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yeah any help and hints are appreciated thanks!! now 18 games into my first season with HNK Vukovar 91, and its honestly going better than expected...currently sitting 4th, but as you can see from the table (http://i34.tinypic.com/2h30ynn.jpg) im drawing far too many games which for one reason or another i just cant see out for the full 90 minutes...

however, i am fairly confident with a few tweaks here and there i can clinch a promotion place, which i will be delighted with...currently on a 15 game unbeaten run too, but if i'd taken full points from a few of those drawn games, i'd be in a healthier position...

Hi all... been following this thread for a week or so and feel like I should speak up. Originally, as a test, I went with Slovenia, and also chose NK Sava Kranj like freek_teek. However, after 5 long hard seasons finishing 8th, 8th, 5th, 5th and 9th (relegated) respectively, I gave up and decided to move closer to home... now currently loading up Ireland and see what happens.

During my time in Slovenia I found it hard to buy players, yet relatively easy to loan 'decent' players, having a negative impact of the squad in terms of gelling together. Has anyone else experienced this and whats the best way to counteract this?

Also, whilst holidaying... quick question, what's the best piece of advice you could give a relatively inexperienced lower league manager aiming to get their team to the top?

Thanks. Mike.

Interesting...

No team eligible for the challenge from Ireland. You would've thought that Mervue United finishing last SHOULD be relegated but also appear for the following season! Am I doing something wrong?

2009: http://i849.photobucket.com/albums/ab59/collindinho/league09.jpg

2010: http://i849.photobucket.com/albums/ab59/collindinho/league10.jpg

Mike.

Hi Mike,

I believe that the two teams that finish in the bottom spots are involved in a relegation play-off with two other teams, if the teams that finished in the bottom two were to win, they will not be relegated, but if they were to lose then the team that beat them would be promoted.

It would be a good idea to save the game before the first play off game.

Ok, scrapping the Ireland idea... Welcome to Switzerland and FC Tuggen

FC Tuggen are a semi-professional team, and have adequate facilities across the board. I have NO staff, exception is my Chairman. Time to look at my current crop of players and do some much needed spring cleaning! Updates will follow! Wish me luck!

Mike.

I was clearly going to get relegated in Russia - one of the hardest games ever - beat Rubin Kazan in the cup but was just dire against anyone else.

So I decided to move to Switzerland here is my profile again. Taken over FC Baden in Switzerland where I hope to actually survive a season.

Off to a good start as we got hammered in our first friendly

Firstly, good luck to MikeCollins , and bad luck A4England hope Switzerland is better for you.

FK Sloboda Uzice - Serbian First League - END OF SEASON REPORT

Well, if you saw my midseason report, I was performing fairly well, safely in 10th. Unfortunately following the winter break, our fortunes took a turn for the worst- a tough fixture list, and a dreadful run of results followed. I was thumped 5-0 and 3-0 in home games, losing 4 home games in the last 8 (having lost only 2 before the break). We won only 4 games in our last 17 (could say we did a Hull!)

Despite this we did survive by a fair bit.

I suppose I should be happy that we did stay up, but I feel we should have really done better considering our start, although our second 17 fixtures were tougher than the first 17, with more home games against the top teams in the league.

As for stand out players- well there werent any really. Our top scorer was a Bosnian-Serb youth player who I found wasting away in the reserves during the winter break - so I dont know how we would have faired without him in the end!

And so looking forward to next season... Well, I have already signed 6 free transfers up - as you can probably guess from the goals against column in the table, I need defenders and so 3 of these signings are defenders. There are also 2 wingers and a striker in there. I will basically be looking for signings throughout the team, as we need to improve the quality of player at the club if we are to gain promotion to the Serbian Super League. I have signed most of my players on full time contracts, and so I am also hoping that the board will convert the club to a Professional set-up.

I imagine it will take me several seasons to achieve a promotion to the SuperLeague, as I currently cannot attract players who are quality enough to mount a promotion push. However, looking at how last years First League champions did in the SuperLeague (finished 5th), and last years runners up also stayed in the division, I would be optimistic that the SuperLeague would not put a First League winning side out of their depth.

Season Summary 2010/11

Serbian First League - 14th

Serbian Cup - Not Entered

Thank You all for welcoming me to the challenge and this thread, I'm enjoying it...

Well, I've called it a night after 9 Challenge League games and at the moment I'm generally pleased with the teams results, particularly winning the first two home games versus Lausanne and Thun, and drawing away against Vaduz. Low point has to be getting taught how to play football by top of the league, and previously relegated from the Super League, Bellinzona.

League Table: http://i849.photobucket.com/albums/ab59/collindinho/league.jpg

I saw an earlier post mentioning that Switzerland is a fun league to play in... they're not wrong!

Needless to say it was necessary to pick up a few bargains in preparation for a tough season. As it turns out I've fully exhausted my wage budget (... and then some!) to bring in some 'big name signings' like Santiago Ezquerro, Gurkhan Sermeter and Damir Dzombic. So far they've proven to be worthwhile acquisitions and I hope the gamble pays off and the board don't get annoyed by the negative financial situation (not all my fault fortunately!)

Transfers: http://i849.photobucket.com/albums/ab59/collindinho/transfers.jpg

Oh, and one more interesting piece of information. FC Tuggen have acquired a new parent club in FC Zurich, one of the major contenders to the Super League crown, other than Basle of course. Shame they didn't want to ship any exciting youngsters to my club yet though.

Mike.

ps. Congratulations Supermas2 for avoiding relegation :)

Dungiven Celtic FC, Season 4 [2050/2051]

First Team

Team Sheet

NIP - 4th Place

Irish Cup - Quarter-Final

Irish League Cup - Group 4

All Ireland Cup - Semi-Final

EURO Cup - 1st Round

The Manager

Manager Info

Manager Profile

Manager Personal

Manager Overview

The Club

Affiliates

Club Info

Best Eleven Season

Best Eleven Overall

Finances

Player Records

Team Records

Staff

Transfers

Team Sheet

The Awards

Fans Player of the Year - Guy Davis

The Player

Guy Davis - Another sensational season from Davis. Just missed out on NIP's top scorer, and was runner up in a few other awards. Perhaps Dungivens first 1,000 goal club member?

Summary

A great season. 4th place was brilliant for this season, gets me back into Europe, and back onto the All Ireland Cup. Next season, my aim is 2nd, for Champions League football, I've spent a long time over the close season getting new players in, and think I've now got the edge on Linfield and Glentoran for that 2nd spot.

Knockbreda Parish FC, Season 43 [2050/2051]

First Team

Team Sheet

N. Irish Premier Division - Winners

N. Irish League Cup - Winners

N. Irish Antrim Cup - Winners

Champions League - Quarter-Final

All Ireland Cup - Winners

N. Irish Cup - Winners

The Manager

Manager Info

Manager Profile

Manager Personal

Manager Overview

The Club

Affiliates

Club Info

Best Eleven Season

Best Eleven Overall

Coefficients

Finances

Player Records

Team Records

Richest Clubs

Staff

Transfers

Team Sheet

The Awards

Fans Player of the Year - Youth Player 1

Manager of the Year - Craig Douglas [NepentheZ]

N. Irish Player of the Year - Youth Player 1

NIP Player of the Year - Youth Player 1

Top Goal Scorer [NIP] - Youth Player 1

The Player

Fernando Castanho - This guy has the potential to be the next big thing here at Knockbreda. The only downside is, he isn't getting a Work Permit for a new contract, and this is his last year.

Andrew Smylie - Still managed to get 55 goals in a season where he really shouldn't. He'll be 37 this season, and thats crazy, that he can still put the goals away.

Summary

A real good season. Still shown that domestically I'm the dominant force, but more importantly, I've spent the entire season heavily scouting, and have found a good 10-12 players that I think could potentially take me to champions league glory again, within the next 3 seasons.

Update from Olkom: at the halfway point we sit dead last in the table, yet just two points from safety. Several strikers went down with injuries early on, so naturally when they returned the defense began to struggle.

Fortunately there are just three matches left before we break for winter; the next transfer window opens then and perhaps I can fill a couple of the remaining holes in the squad.

Edit: but somehow we take four points from those matches and move up to 17th (playoff for relegation). Now for the winter break and transfer window ...

Update: FC Tuggen Season 2010/2011

Since the first update the mighty blues went on an unbelievable unbeaten streak of TEN games, rising to 4th place in the league. Then came the winter break, and the inevitable sluggish start afterwards resulting in two straight defeats followed by two draws. Nethertheless our form picked up again slowly but surely, however with other teams playing way above their expectations too, FC Tuggen were resigned to a fairly respectable 7th place finish on goal difference with FOUR teams equal on points.

League Form: http://i849.photobucket.com/albums/ab59/collindinho/form.jpg

Final League Standings: http://i849.photobucket.com/albums/ab59/collindinho/league1011final.jpg

Picked up another couple players on loan and free transfers in January and March, in an attempt to shore up the defence and provide that 'spark' in the final third. I cannot wait for the high earning fringe players to bugger off soon as we're deep in the red to the tune of approx. £380,000.

Erm, we were knocked out of the cup in Third Round which I believe was when the big teams entered, just like our own FA Cup. So;

League: 7th

Cup: Third Round.

Mike.

EDIT: Just received £500,000 for finishing position. Things are looking better, just. :)

EDIT2: http://i849.photobucket.com/albums/ab59/collindinho/takeover.jpg

Good or bad news you reckon?... Fingers crossed I don't get replaced. Update: Shipped out loads of the useless players, and unfortunately had to let go of Ezquerro to the promoted Bellinzola but £75,000 was something the board couldn't turn down. His replacement? Nicola Ventola. Other additions include youth players Potter and Pratt (DC & AML/C) on free's released from Man Utd and Tottenham respectively, and also a player from Challenge League opponents Wohlen... looks useful. First three games of season 2011/2012... Draw, Win, Win. We are again relegation favourites and the (current) board expect a mid-table finish.

I've decided to start over in Norway, mostly because it just didn't feel right in the cold north of the country :D and just getting to grips with FM10 in generally. However I have returned already with a new club and they are real minnows, so it's going to be some challenge now.

hi guys sorry this is going to be such a stupid question lol, ive loaded the game, chosen croatia, and the game starts on 20th may, the date listed is 20th june for when the new teams come in, do i holiday until next june or the june next month? sorry ahah :D

hi guys sorry this is going to be such a stupid question lol, ive loaded the game, chosen croatia, and the game starts on 20th may, the date listed is 20th june for when the new teams come in, do i holiday until next june or the june next month? sorry ahah :D

Hi Cam.1 welcome to the challenge, yeah you will have to holiday through one whole season and save your game the day before the reset date, this will give you chance to reload the save and see if different clubs get promoted to the bottom playable division if you wish.

Oxslow - Season 2013/14 Review - Newington in the Carling Premiership

I struggled in the league up to Christmas because of playing 3 games a week. Then once I got to 1 or 2 games a week I pushed my way up the table and won the league comfortably in the end. I got to the final of the CIS cup which I lost on penalties. I won the Setanta Cup which added a few £100k to my balance. In a close Europa League group I finished 2nd. In the 1st Knockout Round I met Liver pool and they took me apart.

I want to turn pro so I will need to keep on saving for the next few seasons.

Squad

Star Player

League Table

Past Positions

Transfers

Finances

CIS Cup Final

Setanta Cup Final

Europa League Group J

Career Overview

Season     League                         League Finish    Achievements
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2010/11    Ladbrokes.com Championship 2   2nd              Promoted
2011/12    Ladbrokes.com Championship 1   2nd              Promoted via Playoff
2012/13    Carling Premiership            1st              Champions
2013/14    Carling Premiership            1st              Champions, CIS Cup Runners Up ,Setanta Cup Winners

Nation        Club               User
----------------------------------------------------
Austria       Sk Grodig          XXXtreme
Belarus       FC Molodechno      dj_clark_boy
Belgium       Gent-Zeehaven      Nevermore FC
Croatia       HNK Vokuvar '91    G-Wiz
Hungary       Tuzser SE          Charlesbeams
N.Ireland     Newington          Oxslow
N.Ireland     Dungiven Celtic    NephenteZ
N.Ireland     Knockbreda         NephenteZ
Norway        FK Jerv            cookie15
Norway        Tornado            Gundo
Poland        Zawisza            DomD
Serbia        FC Sloboda Uzice   Supermas2
Slovenia      NK Sava Kranj      freek_teek
Sweden        Ytterhogdals       himan
Switzerland   Etoile-Carouge     sydneytilidie
Switzerland   FC Baden           Agbonlahor4England
Switzerland   FC Tuggen          MikeCollins
Ukraine       Olkom              zlionsfan

2010/2011 NHK Vukovar '91 - End of season review

so, after sitting in 3rd place with 8 games left, i eventually dropped down to finish in 5th place. Just werent able to hang onto the lead as often as i would've liked, which resulted in a number of the draws which is shown in the table...http://tinypic.com/r/2ihpftu/4

the run-in really killed it for me, with a record of 1-2-2 in my last 5 games really killing off my chances of snatching the final promotion place

player-wise i wouldnt really single anyone out as star performer, i had 4 strikers who shared the goalscoring duty pretty evenly between them, one of whom i picked up in january, the mighty Carlos Pavon, whose form helped me pick up some vital goals in the tail-end of the season...

a new chairman has just completed a board takeover as well, however i have been told there are no funds made available for the foreseeable future, so a bit of dabbling will have to be done in the transfer market this summer...

on to next year then i guess :)

Finding this years instalment of FM much more difficult in terms of acquiring players (loanees or purchase) Tornado Måløy's low rep certainly ain't helping matters, loving the challenge of all this though - just hope I don't get relegated!

Update from FC Tuggen Season 2011/2012

First things first, the takeover was a success after initial doubts over the prospected new Chairman's bid. I can't remember his name but he was happy to keep me in the FC Tuggen hotseat, albeit with no extra financial backing for transfers.

I could spend hours typing a season review so basically, we got promoted! I honestly cannot believe it and I guess it also has it's advantages and disadvantages. We have turned 'professional', can attract bigger names players to the club, improvement to the training facilities have begun, more coaches, scouts and physio's can be employed, and I'm sure there's loads more but I can't think of all the possibilities right now! No doubt I'll spend hours scouting players and a large percentage of the £1,000,000 TV revenue! I'll stop showing off now because next season will be brutal as Winterthur (other team promoted in 2011) only won two games all season.

Mid season we bought a new left back, Cavas... absolutely brilliant and not sure why his old team let him go, and was suprised that he accepted since according to his client he wasn't interested in a move to FC Tuggen. Again, had to break the bank to afford his wages, but the gamble certainly paid off. Almost forgot to mention, Damiano Tommasi on a free transfer too :)

Highlights of the season include Ray Pratt, Steve Porter and Vladimir Peralta having unbelievable seasons, with the latter winning Player of the Season. Myself? Manager of the Season... I hardly played Ventola at all due to the change in tactics (read 2010's Tactic Theorem... it works!) and now he's retired. Won 5 - 1 at home to relegated Servette FC. Won the season on the very last day where I needed 3 points to guarantee 1st place. Anyway, here are some pictures:

http://i849.photobucket.com/albums/ab59/collindinho/promotion.jpg

http://i849.photobucket.com/albums/ab59/collindinho/promotion2.jpg

http://i849.photobucket.com/albums/ab59/collindinho/promotion3.jpg

http://i849.photobucket.com/albums/ab59/collindinho/promotion4.jpg

http://i849.photobucket.com/albums/ab59/collindinho/promotion5.jpg

http://i849.photobucket.com/albums/ab59/collindinho/promotion6.jpg

ps. I went wrong with paint so that's why there is slight overlap but you get to see the important stuff ;)

pps. Also have a 16 year old promoted, and seriously this guy will be our leading star for many many years... bet I have to sell him though.

Mike.

Just a little update from midseason in Serbia...

Bit of a disaster really! :( Seems like we are suffering "second-season syndrome"!

We are currently 16th in the table with 14 points after 17 games, 4 points from safety. Thats 9 points worse off than we were this time last season aswell.

Despite us having brought in players that (I thought/think) are better than what we had, we seem to be playing much worse. I think my tactics must have something to do with it, and so have had a tactical rethink, our first game after this rethink was a 4-2 away loss at Sevojno Point who are top of the league, so probably not a good measure of whether or not it will save me.

I did struggle to be honest to attract players of much more quality than I did already have, most of our players are considered "good" First League players, and so I think with players of this calibre I should be doing better although still not challenging near the top.

So wish me luck in avoiding the drop again, was hoping this season was to be midtable consolidation, but seems we are in a basement scrap instead!

plus... congrats to Oxslow and MikeCollins

RC GENT - 11/12 - Mid Season Update

Belgian Third Division A

We almost achieved promotion last season and we started to work with the idea of improve the squad.

Signings to watch:

Yannick Euvrard: 35 yold, DC, Belgium. Good central defender. Last season we scored a lot but me conceded as much. This guy should become the defense leader.

Jelle Schijvenaars: 23 yold, ST, Holland. We suffer the lack of a third striker. He is not the next Van Basten but should be good enough for the division.

Players to watch:

Michaël Van Geele: 25, AM RC, Belgium. MVP of the last season, he's just improving.

Prospects:

Philip Gillessen: 15, DM MC, Belgium. Good mental attributes, but he's pretty bad with the ball.

Well, I expected win after win after win, but my hopes soon were crushed by a bad start. We haven't been able to get a good form, winning a lot of games against better teams and losing the ones that we should be winning. The team gets overconfident and we're paying the price.

Attendances are worst that last season, and I have three players that I don't need but nobody wants.

Currently we're 8th, 4 points of the Play off zone and 9 from the leader.

Manager's quote:

"We need to come together as a team. We need to respect our rivals and never give up a match. Promotion is a matter of determination."

I just created a wiki page for this challenge. I tought it would be easier if everybody could edit their own entry in the challenge table. People should be able to edit it without signing up.

Link

To edit the table you can click on the edit next to the Welcome to... line. Just type what you want in the cells of the table. To add a new line, right click on the row before or after you want your line to be added and select rows -> insert row before (or after). I would prefer it if people kept the saves they don't play anymore. (but with a note in the comments about why they game is no longer active).

At the moment it looks a bit bare. Ideas are welcome. (I was thinking about saving season updates on a page per user, to have a place where it would be easier to read up on a whole story.)

@ freek_teek; Good work mate, I'm sure that's the start of something great! I like the idea of each user having a page to update their Gundo Challenge experiences. Thumbs up!

For the time being, here's a quick update from FC Tuggen season 2012/2013 in the Super League in Switzerland, following promotion the season before. Well, in games one and two (against Zurich and Young Boys) we won 2-1 and 4-3, both in contraversial fashion, not that I'm complaining. Since then it's been rather depressing, however. In total, we've played 10 won 3, drawn 2, lost 5 and currently lie in 8th (out of 10). In all fairness, if the season finished yesterday and we were 8th, it would've been a successful season. Made a few new signings who I've been interested in purchasing since the first season, so far so average. Also signed a Swiss Under 21 defender who's solid and keeping my previous favourite DC out of the squad. Plus, the squad morale is kind of low since I accidently set the league bonus to low. I keep two saves files just in case, and in hindsight I could've gone back and not done it but I'm not that kinda guy so I have to get on with it for now.

I'm changing my formation and tactics, I've decided. My 'arrow' formation was okay for smaller pitches in which we could play through the middle but now the pitches in the Super League are huge and we're struggling. Going to revert to Arsenal style of 4-3-3, which looks defensively more sound and plays wider. Basically a reverse of the current 'arrow' formation. My new winger, Karim Yoda should cope with his instructions. Won't have time to try it out until maybe Wednesday now unfortunately.

Good Luck to everyone else here...

FK Jerv 2013 Norwegian Premiership Review

After our surprise promotion into the Norwegian Premiership we were given the odds of 2000-1. To be fair i'd have given us pretty similar odds! It was really a case of doing our best and trying our hardest to remain in the division and build from there. No surprise really, but underground heating needed as a requisite so there goes another £2.1 million!

Norwegian Cup

Massive improvement this time around saw us progress all the way through to the quarter final stage. Here we met 4th placed Haugesund who were a bit too strong for us and we lost a close encounter 2-1!

Who knows, maybe the Semi's next year!

Norwegian Premiership

Well here was our first experience of Norwegian topflight football. A few reinforcements, all in on frees certainly strengthened the squad, but a prediction of relegation was a real possibility. We certainly found the back of the net (66) but defence was more of an issue. Saying all of this i was delighted with our final league position.

http://i387.photobucket.com/albums/oo315/marcus_cook_2008/2013league.jpg A screenie of our very pleasing 10th place finish.

Naturally, our aim will be to build on this and attempt a higher finish next season.

Players

Out of all the players only 2 are really worth any mention:

Oluyi - http://i387.photobucket.com/albums/oo315/marcus_cook_2008/oluyi.jpg He proved to be an inspired free acquisition as he was voted player of the season. His goal scoring and assists certainly kept us alive in the league. Now i'm trying desperately hard to reject the circling vultures who have started sniffing around!

Sigurdason - http://i387.photobucket.com/albums/oo315/marcus_cook_2008/sigurdarsson.jpg My other freebie who proved a hit. An Icelandic international who knew where the back of the net was and led the scoring for Jerv this season. I'm just hoping that as he's still young (22) that he will continue to develop.

I'm intending improving the defence with a new GK and couple of fullbacks for next season, so we'll see what happens. All in all a pretty successful season in the Premiership :D

I've got that sinking feeling with 6 games to go :(

We are still 6 points adrift of safety - and we have failed to win our home games against many of the teams around us despite dominating the games. We just struggle to score past most of them.

Will be gutted if we go down, but can't see much chance of it not happening right now.

FK Sloboda Uzice - Serbian First League - End of Season Review 2011/12

Well, a season I expected to be able to push on for mid table consolidation turned out very differently to that.

We started spectacularly badly, and found ourselves with only 14 points from 17 games. The previous season we had 23!

From there on we sort of improved, but never really as a run. Our away form was actually fairly impressive, with our home for nothing short of disasterous.

We managed only 4 wins from 17 at home, and yet away from home we managed 5 wins. At home we just could not break down poor opposition who sat around us in the league. We had two crunch home games against Srem (J) and Radnicki Stobex and we could only managed 0-0 and 1-1 draws. Every time I felt we were down and out we came up with an uplifting away win to a team higher in the league, promptly follwed with a stale home display.

Our final 6 games saw us 4 points adrift. 3 home, 3 away. Our first was away to midtable Benazidja, and we managed a 2-1 victory, but true to form, we followed it up with a 2-1 home defeat to Teleoptik who themselves were looking to avoid the drop. A 2-0 away defeat followed, as did another 2-1 home reverse- and the mathematicians amongst you will have noticed that that left us teetering on the brink. Only victory over bottom of the table Senta would keep our hopes alive, and yet we did manage a 1-0 win (in a game we should have won by 3 or 4). However, Radnikci Stobex managed a point away from home to end our faint hopes of survival and send us down with a game to spare. We did actually manage a 3-2 away win in our final league game against midtable Srem, but alas we were relegated with 5 points fewer than last year.

Final table

In conclusion I would say that we probably had a better team than the previous year, and so it was probably tactical mistakes on my part that left us in a bad position at the winter break. Post Christmas we did improve, but I think we were left harmed by our bad start, as I needed to take more risks to win games, and so we ended up losing them.

I do play to do the challenge again (hopefully it'll work out better :) ) - I know I can do better but I suppose thats just life.

I dont fancy Serbia again to be honest I am planning on Northern Ireland, as I have always fancied a save there (very brave some of you must be thinking lol).

Oh and P.S. thanks for the good luck wishes from all! and congrats to cookie and Nevermore

Archived