dafuge's FM08 small club to big club challenge

Originally posted by ejthegreat:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ejthegreat:

It's the semi-final....and it's Arsenal away icon_biggrin.gif

Mixed emotions actually. They're my parent club so 3 of my players won't be able to play. Other semi is Nottm Forest vs Swansea/Newcastle so I def got the tougher, richer match-up.

Arsenal v AFC Wimbldeon FA Cup Semi-final

Match Stats

The dream run was finally ended by an Arsenal team with too much class, although only Adebayor really looked like scoring all game.

Very proud of the efforts of all the players. We were missing much of the first team squad through injuries and a few ineligible, so was pleased with them.

The fans were "very disappointed" which is stupid really.

On a more positive note, we made £1.6m from the gate icon_eek.gif and I'm off to pester the board icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

They must be willing to build a new stadium now. would make more sense than expanding.

Really doesn't affect your balance either. Mine was 7.5 million. we got 500K for selling the dive we were playing in at the time. a 2M grant and the other 5M was a bank loan.

• Replies 11.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The first thing I asked for was a stadium expansion. They told to concentrate on managing. icon_frown.gif

I then asked for improved training and youth facilities, they granted both requests. icon_smile.gif

I bet you get the stadium icon14.gif

Forgot to mention as well. At the start od the season in the Championship all the player valuse shot up quite a bit. Steve king was valued at 1.5M by the end of the season he was up to 2.8M.

icon_frown.gif I just sold him for 170K went through the day before his contract expired so it was the best I could get.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by xx2olegendxx:

Pre season is going well icon_eek.gif

Eek, that's not good. On Steve King, I'm pretty sure I told you that he had to go a season ago icon_wink.gif

Seriously though, it's unfortunate but £170k is a lot better than £0. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was holding out for a decent offer. I sacked my Ass man the day after King announced he didnt like him in the hope it would help, he did behave himself the whole season after that. I appeared as favoured personnel and the team as a favourite club. I did hope he had turned the corner but he just wouldn't sign.

I do have another generation of talented strikers though trying to work out which one to promote now.

AFC Wimbledon 2012/13 League One Season Review

Probably the best year I could hope for that didn't involve promotion.

Start of the year aimed for a solid League One spot, well clear of relegation and a good cup run to boost finances.

Well, it went just as I'd aimed with a respectable League placing and a great run into the FA Cup Semi-Final where we ran into our parent club, Arsenal who, as the name suggests, had too strong an arsenal of talent for us to keep out (ya, that was pretty lame)

League One Table

Graph

As you can see from the table, we had no problem scoring, leading the league in that regard but still struggled to keep them out at the other end.

Trying to work out if it is a tactical issue, a defensive issue, or the midfield not preventing chances being created.

Squad

Dawkins

New striker brought in, very hot and cold, ambitous but struggles with pressure (go figure). Ended up being leading scorer, leading assists and leading MoM.

Cronesberry

Simak

Reid

Reid was brought in from the wilderness when injuries hit the LB spot, performed well and became 1st choice.

transfers

Finances

The great cup run was a godsend financially. Early rounds were against weak opponents and although we never got the dream 3rd/4th round away tie, the CH and LI level opponents allowed to progress to the Semi-Final and a trip to Wembley that netted us £1.6m

CLub Information

Still original capacity and poor training/youth facilities. Hopefully the money made this year will help change that.

Current Profile

A squad rotating disciplinarian would be an apt description.

Next year we strengthen the squad and look to push for promotion.

Well done EJ

I also had Dawkins and Cronesberry in my squad a few years ago, both were quality players for me, although I did only have Dawkins on loan for 2 seasons, he wouldn't sign for me icon_frown.gif

Keep hold of Cronesberry if you can, he ended up being a really good Championship winger for me, I didn't want to sell him but the chairman in his wisdom decided to accept £250k for him.

Good luck with promotion next year icon_smile.gif

Mini Update Merthyr Tydfil

So after 9 games in to the new season, I'm sitting at the top of the table!

http://img128.imageshack.us/img128/7762/schallenge9gamesleaguetvl5.jpg

Here's my star player whom I signed on a free:

http://img100.imageshack.us/img100/2396/dafugeschallenge9gamesshc9.jpg

And here's the history for any doubters. As you can see he was at an english club before mine, so I would have been able to scout him.

http://img233.imageshack.us/img233/9687/dafugeschallenge9gamesslh2.jpg

Originally posted by Peljam:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by xx2olegendxx:

The return of the King

Hehe, glad you got him back. For less wages as well perhaps? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, put in a cheeky offer of 0% contribution and they accepted. The kid has banged in 30 goals already as well icon_biggrin.gif

To be honest ej (thegreat) it's not really slowed my progress at all. The players I've sold have been youngsters I've picked up from Premier League clubs that haven't cut it for me, or have done well and I've out grown their ability. For example I signed a kid from Arsenal, who played 12 games and failed so badly I sold him on. Fortunately he had the potential still and Bishop's Stortford bought him off me for a cool £100k.

Transfer History: 2009/10 - 2010/11 - 2011/12 - 2012/13 - 2013/14.

A lot of my money has come from gate receipts really, with crowds increasing year on year.

Hoping to finish the current season tonight and will update when done.

Originally posted by xx2olegendxx:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Peljam:

The return of the King

Hehe, glad you got him back. For less wages as well perhaps? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, put in a cheeky offer of 0% contribution and they accepted. The kid has banged in 30 goals already as well icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Damn you. Scott Spencer's refusing to come back to us, methinks the boy's gotten too big for his boots.

What Skin is that btw?

Originally posted by 442to445:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Peljam:

The return of the King

Yeah, put in a cheeky offer of 0% contribution and they accepted. The kid has banged in 30 goals already as well icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Damn you. Scott Spencer's refusing to come back to us, methinks the boy's gotten too big for his boots.

What Skin is that btw? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Flex.

Hello group - My name is Thomas and I am addicted to Dafuge´s challenge in Football Manager!! icon_cool.gif

I'm not joking. Since I bought my copy of FM08 (that was the day after I got sacked from Margate in Fm07) I have tried starting other challenges such as Gundo's and The San Marino challenge but I can't get my head in to the game. I lose my interest even before the season starts and start a new game. My intention were to try something different than Dafuge's (no offence) - but I can't keep away. So I started holidaying 2 minutes ago.

How about the website? Is it still up and running??

Will be back with profile etc.

Originally posted by Blackmama:

Hello group - My name is Thomas and I am addicted to Dafuge´s challenge in Football Manager!! icon_cool.gif

I'm not joking. Since I bought my copy of FM08 (that was the day after I got sacked from Margate in Fm07) I have tried starting other challenges such as Gundo's and The San Marino challenge but I can't get my head in to the game. I lose my interest even before the season starts and start a new game. My intention were to try something different than Dafuge's (no offence) - but I can't keep away. So I started holidaying 2 minutes ago.

How about the website? Is it still up and running??

Will be back with profile etc.

yeah website is still up and running. Welcome back and good luck icon_smile.gif

The return of the King

Nicely done! A shrew bit of buisiness there.

My expansion is finished, and it's Novemember time. So plenty of time to fill it and make some money back. Problem is, and it's not too huge a problem really but...my capacity is 14221. My first home game, my 500th icon_biggrin.gif, in the new capacity got 14200. If that stays that way....then I need a huge expansion to make it worth while or a new stadium.

I've already had one new stadium built, am I likely to get a new one anytime soon? I'm thinking no seeing as it's only a couple of years old.

I couldn't resist. Margate it is......

Mr. Chris Thomas once again employed at Margate

It looks just as difficult. I have 0 players....ZERO.

If I may add - I have 0 staff......ZERO! This is what I hate about playing the dafuge way. I can't sign players before I get staff, and the people working at the jobcentre are probaply on vacation for two weeks - did I mention I hate this "no staff - use the jobcentre"-period.?

Maidstone United - 2014/15 League One - End of Season Review

So yet another season is over at Maidstone, and yet another dramatic season with more excitement right at the end of the season. As can be seen from the position chart tracking our positions, we got off to a flier winning our first three games. We then played Bristol Rovers (then top, the only other team 100% record) in the League Cup, which we lost whilst playing our reserves. This led to us being unable to play football and going on a terrible run of form and dropping down to 23rd. Just as it seemed to be goodnight League One, our summer signing Kieron Wrightson (signed on a free from Newcastle United) returned following a three month lay-off and we gave Port Vale a 3-0 thumping. This led to us finding our feet in fine style and jumping right up and into mid-table. As the year started to draw to a close, we could focus briefly on the cups we were still in. We got drawn against local side Gillingham in the FA Cup. After a gritty 1-1 draw in the first game, we took them back to Central Park and beat them 3-1 in the replay . However, our old friends Bristol Rovers saw us out of another competition as we went out 1-0 in Round Two, meeting the boards expectations. Meanwhile in the Johnstone's Paint Trophy we beat Colchester on penalties in the second round after a bye in round one, before crashing out 2-1 to Northampton Town (an old bogey team of mine) due to a 90th minute goal, but once again met the boards aim.

The New Year saw us out of all the cups and we were able to concentrate on the league and survival. In fact what actually happened was a fantastic run of results that saw us rocket into the play-off places. We did bottle it a bit and went seven without a win before finding our feet again and continuing on our merry way to finishing 5th in the league. I was delighted as it had looked hit or miss as to whether we'd drop out of the division let alone jump out the top! Our play-off match up saw us take on Millwall at Central Park in the first leg . A credible 2-2 draw gave us every chance in the return fixture at the New Den. However, we were unable to ever really recover from an early goal and lost the second leg 3-2, going out 5-4 on aggregate.

So our play-off luck finally ran out, having won in the previous two adventures we couldn't make it a third consecutive play-off success. Not to worry, we overachieved this season again and I'm pleased enough with the on field performance of the club.

Off the pitch our players are starting to think they are bigger than the club, and whilst in Maidstone's case they may be right, it's still quite frustrating. Both my first choice centre backs announced they wanted to leave and my right back also got the hump. The right back, Ryan Clark, has agreed to join League Two Exeter City for £100k at the end of the season and I'm just waiting for Chris Couzens to make up his mind as to where he will join on a free. The other centre back, Ryan Brown has decided to stay, however he has really isn't up to League One standard and I'll be letting him leave in the summer anyway. Talking of transfers, I finally purchased a player. Michael Collins joined for £170k from Liverpool just before the transfer deadline as we were struggling with injuries. He didn't really get going until the final run in when he got a bit of form, but I think might be able to do the job next season.

Financially we had another good year, as we hit the £3m mark. With this cash I'm hoping the club will continue to develop the training and youth facilities and one day build a ground in Maidstone, instead of ground sharing over in Sittingbourne.

Other Info:

First Team Squad .

Fixtures: 2014/15.

Records .

Information.

Transfer History (part 1) - (part 2).

Confidence.

My Profile.

Manager Information.

One thing I will take a lot from this season is my work being recognised by the rest of the footballing world, as I was offered the West Bromich Albion job .

In all, a great year. Obviously disappointed not to have reached the Play-off Final, but delighted to have made the play-offs in the first place. Cups did OK in, not as well as the previous year but then we needed to concentrate on the league this year. My aims for the Maidstone United in 2015/16 are as follows:

1. Finish in the top half - I think we overachieved this season and as a result I'll be happy if we get a top half finish, not necessarily in the play-offs.

2. 7,500 average gate. We averaged 7,387 in the league this season, so to be able to break that barrier would be great. This increase in attendances I hope will allow me to work on;

3. Build own ground - We still play at Sittingbourne's ground, and I'd like to pressure the board into building our own in the town of Maidstone itself. Once I've achieved this I'll be happy!

4. Reach the FA Cup Third Round - It'd be nice to play a Premiership or Championship team in the FA Cup.

5. Orlando Roberts to 'make it' - He's been called up to the Welsh National team several times, but hasn't quite won his first cap yet. However, there are several clubs after him so I want him to get his cap at Maidstone or sell him for over a million and thus 'making it'.

Come on the Stones!

Started again as North Ferriby.

Need a judgement on this though

Playing my Chelmsford game I noticed that North Ferriby got promoted to the Blue Square North in 2015. I kept a save game.

I have started the challenge from this save game with a new manager..

Is this a viable start to the challenge?

Asked about expanding stadium again, since they were willing to listen to any request. They told me that there weren't enough funds to expand (I currently have £2.1m) icon_frown.gif

Well, 16th June came around and the board have finally decided to expand the stadium

Stadium Expansion Plans

2000 is good, obviously I would've liked more but as you can see they're also improving training and youth.

Club Info with stadium info

Now, it turns out it's going to cost £1.7m for the expansion.

Expenses-See Ground Maintainence

But the board clearly like me and want me to keep the money because it's all paid for icon_biggrin.gif

Income- See Grant

I'm sure the training/youth will take up a big proportion of the bank balance but I'm happy. Now I just need to find some central defenders.

Originally posted by IanMFCFirPark85:

Here's My Profile

As per the rules outlined on page 1 of this thread, in Dafuge's Challenge you need to set past experience to "Sunday League Footballer"

Your current "continental" reputation indicates you haven't done that.

If you still have the save from before choosing your team or becoming manager then go back to it and create a new manager.

Nicely done! A shrew bit of buisiness there.

He ended that first season back on loan with us scoring 38 goals.

Couldnt resist another offer the following year, my initial bid was refused so I offered 20% and he is back for another season long loan. Looks like he is out of favour at the Reebok already so I may launch a cheeky attempt to resign him at the end of the season. Will get 50% discount on him due to a sell on clause I included. icon_biggrin.gif

My expansion is finished, and it's Novemember time. So plenty of time to fill it and make some money back. Problem is, and it's not too huge a problem really but...my capacity is 14221. My first home game, my 500th icon_biggrin.gif, in the new capacity got 14200. If that stays that way....then I need a huge expansion to make it worth while or a new stadium.

I've already had one new stadium built, am I likely to get a new one anytime soon? I'm thinking no seeing as it's only a couple of years old.

I am in a similar position. The original stadium they built was 8,000, since then it has been expanded by 9,000 to just under 17,000. The problem is it took 3 loans and the expansions cost more than the original stadium did. My board are clueless icon_frown.gif

Well, 16th June came around and the board have finally decided to expand the stadium

Stadium Expansion Plans

2000 is good, obviously I would've liked more but as you can see they're also improving training and youth.

Club Info with stadium info

Now, it turns out it's going to cost £1.7m for the expansion.

Expenses-See Ground Maintainence

But the board clearly like me and want me to keep the money because it's all paid for icon_biggrin.gif

Income- See Grant

I'm sure the training/youth will take up a big proportion of the bank balance but I'm happy. Now I just need to find some central defenders.

Surprised they only expanded but it's a step in the right direction at least. Lucky git for having the entire costs covered by a grant as well icon_razz.gif

Do you think your board would be intrested in a takeover of the mighty Tivvy town? Would love to get rid of the clueless muppets we have running the show now.

Do you think your board would be intrested in a takeover of the mighty Tivvy town? Would love to get rid of the clueless muppets we have running the show now.

Can they buy Marine out please? I have Liverpool/Everton/Tranmere/Chester to the South, Wigan/Blackburn to the East and Preston/Blackpool to the North.

But the board 'doesn't think we need a parent club right now'.

Idiots.

Tiverton Town - 15/16 Championship - Season review

A dull and lifeless season by all accounts really. There is not a great deal not really mentioned in other posts to say about it.

We survived and in truth were never really threatened too much with being dragged into a relegation battle. In truth though we were by far the worst team in the division it was only the teams ability to set up in a way that was hard to beat and for the most part of the season we spent our time with 10 men behind the ball, hoofing it down field every chance we got and just waiting for it to come back.

Still there was a certain amount of pleasure in knowing we were the worst team yet capable of doing what was needed.

Table

Graph

Tiverton Town - 16/17 Championship - Season review

Pre season saw quite a few of the players I had brought in early on leave. It was a sad season for me really, even if it did come a season later than it should have done. It is hard to let some go, these players had been with the club almost from day one of my time here and played a major part in the teams rise up the ladder of English football. It is a ruthless business after all though and I did what had to be done.

I chose to replace the outgoing players by promoting my entire Reserve team, after showing so much promise it was time to see just what they could do.

Transfers

I wanted to make sure that I had some experiance in key areas so for the first time in several season players were brought in on loan to mix in with all the new youthful faces.

My wage bill significantly reduced I aimed to survive a few more season allowing my team to mature and building up my finances. What I got though was a little unexpected, from day one we looked like a team who could mix it with anybody in the division and on our day nobody would look forward to playing us.

We didn't reach the dizzy heights of promotion or playoffs but finishing the season in 8th and within touching distance of those golden ticket places has given me the belief I needed to have faith in my young team.

Table

Graph

Promises to be a good season a year older and with last years experiance, plus once more a few loan signings to steady the ship.

The new season could be our best yet icon_biggrin.gif

Can they buy Marine out please? I have Liverpool/Everton/Tranmere/Chester to the South, Wigan/Blackburn to the East and Preston/Blackpool to the North.

But the board 'doesn't think we need a parent club right now'.

Idiots. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I had the very same problem since the BSP when I got rid of my feeder club in hope of a better one and they have since refused to find another.

I have no feeder clubs either, they are willing to look but can never find a suitable club to be linked with. Is a real pain having to get my youngsters out on loan each year without one.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Blackmama:

If I may add - I have 0 staff......ZERO! This is what I hate about playing the dafuge way. I can't sign players before I get staff, and the people working at the jobcentre are probaply on vacation for two weeks - did I mention I hate this "no staff - use the jobcentre"-period.? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

you can easily sign players. You can use the transfer centre and use the filters to find unattached, listed and other players. Its true you cannot sign players if they cannot come on trial, but it players can go on trial, then you can sign sign sign icon_smile.gif

Originally posted by MikaelS:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Blackmama:

If I may add - I have 0 staff......ZERO! This is what I hate about playing the dafuge way. I can't sign players before I get staff, and the people working at the jobcentre are probaply on vacation for two weeks - did I mention I hate this "no staff - use the jobcentre"-period.? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

you can easily sign players. You can use the transfer centre and use the filters to find unattached, listed and other players. Its true you cannot sign players if they cannot come on trial, but it players can go on trial, then you can sign sign sign icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Then when you get staff in, they'll tell you precisely how bad your judgement is and the fact you've got 60+hoofers on trial who'd get beat by the local under-11's team.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by MikaelS:

you can easily sign players. You can use the transfer centre and use the filters to find unattached, listed and other players. Its true you cannot sign players if they cannot come on trial, but it players can go on trial, then you can sign sign sign icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Then when you get staff in, they'll tell you precisely how bad your judgement is and the fact you've got 60+hoofers on trial who'd get beat by the local under-11's team. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for the advice - I've already started offering trials right and left. The media thinks this former Liverpool Star wants to join

So asked my board for a stadium expansion, and they 'politely remind me that they do not own the ground and are therefore unable to expand it'. So unless the board fancy making a new one when I average just under 8000 I am stuck in Sittingbourne for some time to come with 8000 capacity...

I was so keen to sign players on free/trial over the off season that I ended up with a squad of 40 and only minimal improvement to the top end of the team icon_frown.gif

Got great depth though..lol

LOL, that's what I did this season, ended up bringing in 17 players on F/T...

However by January my predicament was so bad it was time to hit the loans again...

5 games to go 15 points clear of the relegation battle. It worked, just!

I was so keen to sign players on free/trial over the off season that I ended up with a squad of 40 and only minimal improvement to the top end of the team icon_frown.gif

Got great depth though..lol

haha I tend to do the same thing. Im so desperate to sign players that I say yes to alot of crappy players.

Originally posted by joshpmilton:

So asked my board for a stadium expansion, and they 'politely remind me that they do not own the ground and are therefore unable to expand it'. So unless the board fancy making a new one when I average just under 8000 I am stuck in Sittingbourne for some time to come with 8000 capacity...

8000? lucky if you ask me I had 4000 (300) seats till 2015, when my board built a lovely 10500 all seater which btw i'm filling with ease everyweek in championship icon_mad.gif

Margate - BSS - Season 08/09

I think this season is gonna be somewhat easier than expected. I asked for a parent club and got Southampton.

They wanted to loan me two young players who unfortunately were americans and required work permits. icon_confused.gif Why did they offer them then?? Well I send my scout to the Southampton training ground and he made reports of all their reserve players.

After his advice I have until now (juli 23rd) loaned 11 players from their squad. icon_eek.gif

Margate = Southampton 2

Some of these players have league one ability according to my coach.

NICE

Archived