The FM10 Danny Roberts Challenge

• Replies 623
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm still trying to breathe life back into my Keirrison save lol. The problem has just been a sheer lack of time, and the fact my i7 seems to hate FM09. When its running smooth its processing at rediculous speeds, even on the huge save I have but it crashes so often during innane processing periods. Keirrison will break 2000 this season though with ease, and as he turns 36 this season I'm hoping I can get another 2 good seasons out of him and let him hang his boots up. I would like to keep him going until hes in his 40's, but I don't think I can manage him well enough to ensure he stays fit and happy to keep playing. He's usually being brought off at around the 70 minute mark in each game and being given 2/3 days rest a week from training. It's allowing me to keep his fitness up, but its reaching the point where you can just see he doesn't have it anymore.

I should really be focusing on Leigh Stones as he is becoming very potent upfront in my side, he's 20 now and is already more well rounded than Keirrison in his prime, but I've been denying him Keirrisons spot in the team. He's still chipping in with a good return on goals though, infact I'm surprised at his goal yield. He still grabbed 102 last season, for 3 years now he's gone over 100 goals himself and got 150 the first season he broke the 100 barrier. He ought to make it to the 1,000 club with ease, but he won't become the main striker until he's 22/23/24 which means for several years he'll have been supporting Keirrison primarily. In his prime though, I really think he could go one better than Keirrison and break 200 goals in the top flight.

With having lost a season that I've now played back through I am still Brazil manager, Paul Ince didn't get the sack so Keirrison should keep adding to his total for Brazil.

Bernard Brennan - The Story so far:

2014/15 | Games, 25 | Goals, 29 | Assists, 05 | MoM, 09 | GPG 1.16

2015/16 | Games, 46 | Goals, 41 | Assists, 12 | MoM, 14 | GPG 0.89

2016/17 | Games, 56 | Goals, 54 | Assists, 10 | MoM, 14 | GPG 0.96

2017/18 | Games, 66 | Goals, 75 | Assists, 24 | MoM, 22 | GPG 1.14

2018/19 | Games, 63 | Goals, 53 | Assists, 16 | MoM, 15 | GPG 0.84

2019/20 | Games, 65 | Goals, 81 | Assists, 22 | MoM, 16 | GPG 1.25

2020/21 | Games, 66 | Goals, 122 | Assists, 16 | MoM, 35 | GPG 1.85

2021/22 | Games, 68 | Goals, 105 | Assists, 20 | MoM, 34 | GPG 1.54

2022/23 | Games, 68 | Goals, 101 | Assists, 12 | MoM, 27 | GPG 1.49

2023/24 | Games, 68 | Goals, 100 | Assists, 14 | MoM, 32 | GPG 1.47

2024/25 | Games, 65 | Goals, 100 | Assists, 20 | MoM, 27 | GPG 1.52

2025/26 | Games, 67 | Goals, 102 | Assists, 25 | MoM, 28 | GPG 1.52

2026/27 | Games, 54 | Goals, 55 | Assists, 18 | MoM, 11 | GPG 1.02

Club Totals :

[brennan is now 33 Years Old]

Games, 778 | Goals, 1018 | Assists, 214 | MoM, 284 | GPG 1.31

Ireland

Games, 100 | Goals, 82

Career Totals

Games: 878

Goals: 1100

Assists: 221

MoM: 291

So, he's conquered everything that he's ever faced. 1100 goals for club & country, with a meagre 1018 club goals, the man is a legend. His stats still do rise, but then sink back down again the next month, so it doesn't look like he's going to lose his touch anytime soon! :) Also, he earned his 100th Ireland cap this year, becoming the first Irishman to achieve this feat, and he celebrated that milestone in some style! :cool: 82 goals for his country is a remarkable achievement too, especially as i'm not the Irish national manager & the team around him isn't full of world class players. However, the core of the squad seems to have stuck together and this has undoubtly helped him. His next, and probably final target, for the great man is 100 International goals, that really would be the icing on the cake for one of the greatest players there has ever been.

Marc Beckford, the story so far:

2016/17 | Games, 30 | Goals, 08 | Assists, 04 | MoM, 00 | GPG 0.27

2017/18 | Games, 49 | Goals, 29 | Assists, 08 | MoM, 05 | GPG 0.59

2018/19 | Games, 46 | Goals, 29 | Assists, 14 | MoM, 05 | GPG 0.63

2019/20 | Games, 52 | Goals, 30 | Assists, 18 | MoM, 06 | GPG 0.58

2020/21 | Games, 58 | Goals, 31 | Assists, 17 | MoM, 05 | GPG 0.53

2021/22 | Games, 55 | Goals, 36 | Assists, 12 | MoM, 06 | GPG 0.65

2022/23 | Games, 49 | Goals, 29 | Assists, 08 | MoM, 05 | GPG 0.59

2023/24 | Games, 54 | Goals, 24 | Assists, 13 | MoM, 03 | GPG 0.44

2024/25 | Games, 58 | Goals, 54 | Assists, 14 | MoM, 09 | GPG 0.93

2025/25 | Games, 50 | Goals, 31 | Assists, 14 | MoM, 08 | GPG 0.62

2026/27 | Games, 40 | Goals, 36 | Assists, 13 | MoM, 10 | GPG 0.90

Club Totals:

[beckford is now 27 years old]

Games, 541 | Goals, 337 | Assists, 135 |MoM, 62 | GPG 0.62

England

Games, 98 | Goals, 150 | Assists, 50 | MoM, 31 | GPG 1.53

Career Totals:

Games: 639

Goals: 487

Assists: 185

MoM: 93

GPG: 0.76

A very good season in some ways, yet also very frustrating in others. He hit 150 England goals this year, and started well in the main striker position once Brennan has got his 1000 FCUM goals. If it wasn’t for my chief scout spotting the incredible Paul Childs, then he would have about 100 goals this season, and would probably be on about 160 international goals. It has been very hard having to leave him out of the side towards the end of the season, as Brennan seems to be a better provider of goals for Childs, and in some ways I am hoping that Brennan drops off or retires soon at his peak so that Childs & Marc can play together. He should still be on for around 600/700 goals though, which would be an incredible achievement considering that most of career he has spent supporting the main striker.

Paul Childs – The Story so far

2026/27 | Games, 37 | Goals, 50 | Assists, 13 | MoM, 12 | GPG 1.35

[Childs is now 18 years old]

England

Games, 3 | Goals, 3 | Assists, 0 | MoM, 0 | GPG 1.00

Career Totals:

Games: 40

Goals: 53

Assists: 13

MoM: 12

GPG: 1.33

What a start to his career Paul Childs has had. I first came across him in November this season when he played for the Magpies against us in the Carling Cup, and he was a real handful. After a scout report from my chief scout, I decided to sign him up, whatever the cost due to his versatility & it soon became clear that he had the potential to be something really, really special. To put into context how good his first few months with us have been, the legendary Bernard Brennan didn’t achieve a strike rate above 1.25 goals per game until he was 26/27, whilst Childs has done it at just 18 years of age. Goodness knows what could happen when he develops, 2000 is a definite possibility. 50 goals in 37 games for the club at 18 shows you just how big this lad could become.

Why does my academy keep throwing world class strikers at me, just at the wrong time!? :(Introducing Ian Lamb, who has 7 star potential and is the biggest prospect i've ever had. The coaches say that he could be a better player than Childs, Brennan, Beckford, Smith & Beke! I could really have done without finding Paul Childs now, as strange as it sounds! :(

So, what do i do people? Someone with a greater potential than all of those great players surely shouldn't be put to waste, should he? Childs can still play for me due to his versatility & the fact is that i need a left winger due to Demange's imminent decline, but this kid will go to waste with the potential to be the greatest player of all time if i choose Childs over him. He could potentially challenge Higgins for the international records too if i unleash him!

I know Lamb's only 15, but I'd be worried about his low finishing (relatively) if you want him to have a shot at 2,000 at least, as pace is his main attribute atm, but once he hits 30 and that starts to drop, he'll need a high finishing attribute to be putting away the few chances he'll get.

Guest roberto922

So just to confirm, whilst the vast majority of people struggle to get more than 1 world class prospect through in a 20 year game, you've had 6 so far in just the striking department? Hmm.

So just to confirm, whilst the vast majority of people struggle to get more than 1 world class prospect through in a 20 year game, you've had 6 so far in just the striking department? Hmm.

Out of those, only Beckford, Smith & Lamb have come from my youth academy, the rest have been bought from other clubs. I'm actually trying to get rid of the foreign players as i'm trying to set myself a challenge of getting a completely English squad, and then possibly a squad made up of youth products because it's just too easy now and i'm not really enjoying the save at all. :(

I should also point out that apart from the odd player, the rest of my youth intakes have been awful.

What i am planning to do when FM11 comes out is to stop this save completely & take a look at some of the hidden stats of my team from various save files that i have of the last 10 years to try & discover why it is that i've been so successful.

I think it does reach a point in saves where you can get your team to the point where 1000 goals is attainable if you have a player long-term. On FM09 my Stoke team are so dominant, creating 20 - 30 chances a game. I've had a few strikers come in and have really good goal totals just because of the sheer number of chances they get. Even a striker I signed from Serie B who was a free just to try this out played 6 and scored 6 in my side, had he been in my Stoke team at the start of the game he probably wouldn't have scored 6 all season. I've actually had several world class prospects come through at Stoke, only 1 has made the grade with me though, a few others are ambling around in the premiership or spanish/italian leagues, but because I didn't play them when they were young they never really made it lol.

I think it does reach a point in saves where you can get your team to the point where 1000 goals is attainable if you have a player long-term. On FM09 my Stoke team are so dominant, creating 20 - 30 chances a game. I've had a few strikers come in and have really good goal totals just because of the sheer number of chances they get. Even a striker I signed from Serie B who was a free just to try this out played 6 and scored 6 in my side, had he been in my Stoke team at the start of the game he probably wouldn't have scored 6 all season. I've actually had several world class prospects come through at Stoke, only 1 has made the grade with me though, a few others are ambling around in the premiership or spanish/italian leagues, but because I didn't play them when they were young they never really made it lol.

Gotta agree with this tbh, the Premier League is so weak these days to what it used to be. 5 years ago, i was really having to battle hard for the title, but since then the managers of Man United, Chelsea, Spurs, Arsenal & Man City have retired, and their replacements are nowhere near as good in any department as their predecessors, which makes the league a walk in the park for us. To give you an example, i played Sheffield United on the final day of the season this year, who finished in 5th place, and we won 4-1 with all of the 32+ golden generation out as it was Robert Neumann's last home game for the club, with Potts scoring a hat-trick. So that's Remy Riou (39) in goal, Cuellar (36) at right back, Neumann (36) at centre back, Vrba (34) at left back, Nicholson (33) on the right wing, Kvarnlof (34) in centre midfield, Demange (33) on the left wing, Brennan (33) in the AMC position & Potts (34/35) up front. Part of that will be because they played together for so many years that they know each other's games inside out, part of it will be the tactic and part of it will be the low quality of the league. A combination like that with players who are young, still developing & far too good for the league means that you can produce lethal teams & bring the very best out of sometimes, very average players.

I haven't played FM10, so i'm hoping that in FM11, SI have sorted out how the managers deal with regens & such to make the game harder & more enjoyable. I'm not enjoying this anywhere near as much as i was 5 seasons ago, just because it's become a walk in the park, and i'm having to set myself challenges to keep the save going.

• 3 weeks later...

Just out of interest, (in case I do find a potential 1000er) whats the rule on playing with a fantasy club? The entire team is computer generated, so i've not edited any players, it's just the club information like stadium (holds 500), club name, kits and colours, Finance basically at £0, training ground is 0. Reputation of 1! (lowest in BSN is 1000). Only positive i have is a youth academy and top youth facilities. (the aim is to have a local side win the champions league in the long run - much like when Celtic won the league with players all from within a 20mile radius of the stadium).

If I found someone on this save, would he be eligible to enter? I understand the no editor rule, and wholeheartedly respect it, I'm just wondering as the only editing I have done will cause me to have a handicap rather than an advantage to getting a good squad around him (If I was to find him) and I am not editing any Stats at all.

Just wondering :) also congrats to everyone on the list so far, truly incredible achievements!

I don't think it would be permitted due to the fact the variables are pre-definied by a user elsewhere rather than by the game itself and through the official channels.

On another note, I would really like to complain about FM2009 on a 64 bit OS with an i7920, it crashes so often that for a while now I've just cried myself to sleep trying to get it working. So many reinstalls, it just doesn't like my system at all lol. I am still making slow progress with Keirrison, its just taking a rediculous amount of time lol.

I don't think it would be permitted due to the fact the variables are pre-definied by a user elsewhere rather than by the game itself and through the official channels.

On another note, I would really like to complain about FM2009 on a 64 bit OS with an i7920, it crashes so often that for a while now I've just cried myself to sleep trying to get it working. So many reinstalls, it just doesn't like my system at all lol. I am still making slow progress with Keirrison, its just taking a rediculous amount of time lol.

What OS is it? My laptop is 64 bit running Mac OS, and I never had a problem with it. If it's Vista/7 have you tried running it in XP compatibility mode?

I have with XP SP2 but sometimes it just doesn't want to know. It's going well tonight though, managed to squeeze out a month so far.

It's a shame because decent sides are beginning to shut Keirrison out now at 35 (36 in december) and the prodigal son who was meant to replace him Leigh Stones has finally found his scoring boots again after a couple of off-seasons (I say that but he still scored 112 and 102 respectively - but at 17 he scored like 152 in a season and looked to be the real deal). The low standard quality of the premiership is helping Keirrison to no end, his attacking mentality slider is full now, he still has good off the ball and finishing so he often seems to just drop off the defender and then be through with the keeper, keepers are so poor now that he almost always scores.

Igor Akinfeev is still rumbling around and hes an example of a good keeper who can keep Keirrison at bay, but with him retiring this season its going to be a case of the last of the good keepers I feel. In some ways its good, if he was playing in the premiership and champions league competitions in which he dominated 10 - 15 years ago he'd be looking haggered and old I expect. Going to Chelsea with John Terry to marshall him, or to Man Utd with Ferdinand and Vidic, he wouldn't do what he does to teams now.

Still I get the feeling Keirrison may well retire this season or next, but for a player who was signed as a stop-gap in 2010 for £11m he hasn't half turned out well.

Managing Keirrison in his twilight is very time consuming, having to give him a rest each day from training after a game if he plays the full length, but when theres 2 games in a week he can play 1 full game but only half of the other. He's been through a couple of lulls where he's gone 2 or even 3 games without scoring, but then every so often he'll put on a blinding display still and score 5+ goals. In his last 20 games hes scored 46 but failed to score in 6 of the 20, so it shows he is becoming inconsistent. That said, still not even Leigh Stones who is vastly superior to him can keep up once Keirrison still gets going. His best ever total of 170 is one hes on course to break if he can stay injury free. Which is astounding, even though he's getting so old the rest of my team is so great that they can carry him and he can still put them in.

£75m on a new right back who's a better attacking threat than what I've got. Keirrison is only 3 games away from 600 league games, and 11 goals from 1100 career league goals. Since I'm still Brazil manager if he hangs around until the end of next season he should be able to break through the 256 mark and reset his goal counter. Currently needs 26 more and with the sorry state of south american football it should be do-able. It does seem to be reaching the point every time I think he's dead and buried theres a revival, the prodigal son Leigh Stones is turning out to be such a disappointment in some ways next to Keirrison. He's only 21 but since I got my hands on him at like 14/15 from the academy I've worked on developing him the same way as I did Keirrison and he's just better. Even when Keirrison goes off he can't assume his role. He's a great continental player, in fact in europe he's better than Keirrison, but at home in the league he's nowhere near as good.

• 3 weeks later...

Can anyone that has been active ('eh, active :D ) - in this thread, let me know where I'm up to in regards of updating the OP for the records. :)

Sorry I've not been involved in this. Many reasons really, but the main one being the fact I just didn't get in to FM10. Hopefully FM11 will bring something different.

I'm still ambling along with Keirrison, but FM09 hates my 64 bit PC so much. There are a couple of updates though with Pventress I think possibly usurping Keirrison as the premiership top scorer.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Can i still enter this?

Allow me to introduce Felipe. He stars for my Oxford side in my FM10 save that i am still playing.

53711660y.png

At 31 years old he has hit 95 goals for Brazil in 124 games and has just scored his 400th career league goal, all but 17 of these were scored for Oxford in the Premier League under my management. In all comps for Oxford his record is 519 games / 618 goals.

85327090.png

Adding together his 618 Oxford goals in all comps and his 95 Brazil goals which were all scored during his time at Oxford (although i've never been Brazil manager) gives him a grand total of 713 career goals since i bought him. He should make the magic 1000 mark in his Oxford career...

• 2 months later...

Just finished the 2030/31 season with my Oxford side on FM2010. Due to a torn hamstring that sidelined him for 3 months, 35 year old Felipe only managed 38 appearances but still hit 32 in the Prem and 46 in all comps for the season and finally broke the 1000 barrier for career goals scored since I signed him.

16206483.png

Felipes record under me now stands at:

699 club games / 888 club goals (455 league games / 560 league goals)

161 International games / 117 International goals

Grand total since i signed him, including internationals:

860 games / 1005 goals

24772134.png

58173694.png

34953107.png

With his stats as they are currently, I still think he has at least another 2 seasons at the top level left in him. His physicals are decent and 13/13 for strength/stamina should keep him ticking along nicely.

Archived