Steam Problems FAQ and Basic Crash Troubleshooting

• Replies 766
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Any Issues with Steam you Have i am willing to provide Help has a experienced user

As long has steam bashing crap stays away

If you cant find what you need in this faq post here

I'm getting an error message when I load the game through Steam. It comes up with 'fm.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close'

This is the technical content? C:\DOCUME~1\Steve\LOCALS~1\Temp\e725_appcompat.txt

Ok, i'm having some trouble here and i'm not technically gifted, nor totally stupid.

I have downloaded via stream. That went fine. then i exit out of Stream and load it again so that it can update.

So thats all fine. However, if i try to run the game from within stream or from the desktop icon, i get "preparing to launch football manager 2010" for a few seconds and then it disappears. So i try again, and its the same thing. Restarted laptop, restarted stream, still nothing. I see 2 other people have said the same thing on here but i dont see a solution.

Thanks.

Are you seriously telling me that i cant play this game offline? So what if im somewhere with no connection? or i live in a country were internet is still crappy and can go down anytime?

This is f*****g lame! i think im gonna sue them if they dont come up with a solution for that!

that will teach me to buy the game... really smart

spent 9 hours downloading it through steam last night, 3 hours trying to make it work, finally it works, i play for a couple of hours then need to restart my laptop and now i cant even login to steam, it doesnt go through the "connecting to account" screen.. and internet is working fine actually its just a steam screw up..

Ok some help is required...

I purchased a boxed copy of the game today, and installed on Internet via Steam. The game installed successfully, then I opened Steam, it updated itself, re-started and now, is listed under 'Steam>Installed>My Games>Football manager 2010' and it is being listed as 'Updating'. However, the 'Updating' started over 5 hours ago when I first installed the game and is at 52% after 5 hours and moving up very slowly...

Could this be perhaps because I am in a student residence with slow-ish Internet? It says 'Updating' and the KB/s are between 28 + 31 KB/s. Is this really slow, or should i leave it? At this rate, the game will have updated itself by tomorrow morning!

Also, once the game is Updated will I be able to access the game with a desktop? Because for the moment I can only find FM2010 on my laptop (Vista PC) on Steam, but I can't play it because it is updating itself!

Please help, and I apologise for any inconvenience!

Hey. I was playing the game all day through steam and everything was fine. The I installed a new skin, didn't like it, when I changed back to FM 10 dark it crashed. I was angry enough at loosing my save, but now when I attempt tp launch it it says Game is currently unaivalable Please tey again later. Help please.

Guys. Just run the dxwebsetup from Microsoft and restart the PC. It's worked for me and 7 of my mates so it may very well work or you too. Good luck.

PS: Thanks for all the people who posted constructive feedback in this thread. Much appreciated. Helped me a lot.

The thing is I don't know if it really is 'stuck Updating' as it is increasing, albeit extremely slowly (now at 54%)

Having issues trying to launch FM for the first time from Steam...

"Your client needs to be updated to run this game"

The download of the update is frozen at 0.88MB/12.59MB.

Restarting Steam does nothing.

Restarting the PC does nothing.

Not impressed.

No, damn it, this still requires Steam to launch in order for me to play the game. When I use the shortcut, it loads Steam in the background and then loads FM.

In FM09, I simply typed in an activation code, and I was able to launch the game directly from the FM09.exe file without EVER having Steam running after initial installation.

I apologize in advance if this has already been posted, but try going into your Steam directory (should be something like C:\Program Files\Steam or SteamApps and browse around for the FM 2010 folder. See if you can run the game directly from there and if it works, just make a shortcut to the .exe on the desktop.

This worked last year and should be the same this year, at least according to SI as it was posted in the DRM/Installation thread.

Weird problem for me as well. I preloaded the game as soon as it was possibile. After unlocking the game, steam downloaded and installed the latest update availaible but if I tried to launch te game from the steam menu nothing happened, the game did not load. Then I tried to launch the game directly from the directory but it said me some sort of steam api.dll was missing...and that's weird considering that all the other games I got under steam are working fine. Then, i read somewhere I could run the Verify integrity of game cache. I did it twice but nothing changed. The editor was working fine...i opened, load a database, made a few changes and saved it. But after a few minutes the editor.exe disappeared :| Now i'm uninstalling the game and download and installing one more time...hope it works :(

i was wondering if someone could help me.

i installed the game via steam, but when i get to the main menu, the game crashes. that is to say the cursor can move around, but clicking on "start new game" or anything else is impossible. in fact, the only way to exit is control alt delete. i tried restarting my comp and i tried uninstalling and then reinstalling without using steam. i keep getting the same results.

can anyone help please?

hi

when i try to install it says `steam can not be installed to selected location, folder path contains unknown files.`

i was wondering if someone could help me.

i installed the game via steam, but when i get to the main menu, the game crashes. that is to say the cursor can move around, but clicking on "start new game" or anything else is impossible. in fact, the only way to exit is control alt delete. i tried restarting my comp and i tried uninstalling and then reinstalling without using steam. i keep getting the same results.

can anyone help please?

verify game cache

1-Load Steam

2-From the My Games tab, right-click on the game and select Properties from the menu.

3-Select the Local files tab and click the Verify integrity of game cache... button.

4-Steam will verify the game cache files (GCF's) - this process may take several minutes.

5-Once the process is completed, the Check Window will automatically exit.

do it twice to make sure game files are fine

Hi, bought boxed copy and installed game, didn't use steam at all. Started game and got to title page eith new game etc. and it says please insert disc. Have uninstalled and installed numerous times, got it working and played an hour then same message popped up. Please help

Hi, bought boxed copy and installed game, didn't use steam at all. Started game and got to title page eith new game etc. and it says please insert disc. Have uninstalled and installed numerous times, got it working and played an hour then same message popped up. Please help

only with steam it wont ask for the DVD

@Chris 84

have you tried to update directx

also it looks like its an issue with the game itself

update your drivers aswell

Steam is really starting to annoy me now, I really do Iwish I'd have just bought it from a shop.

I'm wanting to play the game offline. I travel alot and do not always have an internet connection.

I've been testing the game at home now (disconnectiong from the net) and it never seems to work in offline mode.

It keeps saying password not saved or soemthing although I told it to rmemeber my password.

Please tell me you don't have to be online to play the game!

(I have read previous comments, but there is no definitive answer)

I only have Fm09 and Fm10 on there, so yes all up to date.

I have never had a problem with fm09, by just using the shortcut bypassing steam but as was stated before you have to go through steam.

I just don't want to be in the situation where I'm on a long journey and unable to play the game.

(As I was last week with the demo).

Archived