FM 10 Tactic - Wingless Wonders

I'm having a crack at the demo with Stoke and while the temptation is to rely on set pieces and hoof the ball forward I'm thinking of giving this a go. Here is my squad, do you think it will suceed?

Lung Jr/Simonsen

Defenders - Ansaldi/Wilkinson

- Higginbottom/Collins

- Shawcross/Faye/Huth/Davies

Midfielders - Bodde/Faye/Schneiderlen

- Buonanotte/Etherington/Tonge

- Delap/Soares

- Tuncay/Dominguez

Forwards - Kitson/Chevanton/Beattie(out for 5 mths)/Cresswell

I often play Tuncay and/or Dominguez as forwards but who would assign to each role?

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm having a crack at the demo with Stoke and while the temptation is to rely on set pieces and hoof the ball forward I'm thinking of giving this a go. Here is my squad, do you think it will suceed?

Lung Jr/Simonsen

Defenders - Ansaldi/Wilkinson

- Higginbottom/Collins

- Shawcross/Faye/Huth/Davies

Midfielders - Bodde/Faye/Schneiderlen

- Buonanotte/Etherington/Tonge

- Delap/Soares

- Tuncay/Dominguez

Forwards - Kitson/Chevanton/Beattie(out for 5 mths)/Cresswell

I often play Tuncay and/or Dominguez as forwards but who would assign to each role?

In midfield I wud have schnederlien or arismendi in DMC - soares, whealen on either side with tonge as back up and wud defitnely have Buonanotte in the advanced playmaker role - wud play beattie (when fit) in complete forward role (right S) and chevanton as poacher ( left S) I wud sell etherington and tuncay and spend it on a left footed midfielder like joe ledley or chris cohen from forest who is quality (but im bias) - let me know how it goes...

Ran thru demo with West Ham Utd - transfer budget £0 prediction 9th -

Green

Faubert

Illunga

Reginusen - cost 350k - worth 20 times this amount

Upson

DMC - Parker

MRC - Noble - 4gls 11assists

MC - Jiminez - (loan from Inter) 6gls 2assists

MLC - Thomson - 4.4m

S - Diamanti - forward 19app 7gls 5assists

S - Cole - poacher 19app - 10gls 3 assists

Played 19 won 10 d 7 lost 2 - F34 A16 pts 37 - just under 2points a game - not bad for a fairly average team and a lot better than in real life.... Pos 3rd btw.

UPDATE: Burton Albion Media Prediction 24th - Budget 50k

Ran thru another demo - bought krysiak (gk) 150k cos they had no keeper and id raised some funds, bought some loan players in and used Harrad who is very good at this level but basically kept the nucleas of the team the same... here were the results before my game crashed in december...

Played 21 games - won 42pts conceding less than 1 a game - 2nd pos 4 pts clear of notts c in third and was also in FA Cup 3rd Round - I now know that this tactic works at lower league levels and from other ppls results works in european leagues - only thing left to test is whether it can survive "second season syndrome" or SSS but i cant test that in demo tho...

Is there anything else ppl would like me to test with this tactic?

narrow tactics are back again?

Its narrow when the team doesnt have the ball but wider when it does - go to attacking and the full backs overlap giving the width.

In other formations my wingers have just not been involved in the game but im sure someone will have it working but I prefer my team to play through the middle.

I am currently experimenting with "wingless" tactics. 4-1-3-2, 4-3-1-2, 4-1-3-1-1 & 4-3-2-1. They are all working well, but I am not satisfied with them yet.

One thing that has worked very well for me is to use maximun width with passing directed to both flanks. FBs set to fwd runs often & hug touchline. Outside mids (MRC/MLC) set on hugtouch line & roam. This makeks it a wide tactic attacking yet also clogs up the midfield.

I also prefer a very high line with offside trap on. This requires speedy DCs. I have found this really keeps the midfield tightly clogged up. And although it is vulnerable to through balls, the DCs usually catch up at least by the edge of the box and have allowed very few quality shots. I do of course play deeper (altough NEVER deep) against very pacey strikers and take off the trap.

The outise instructions are the best tactical feature in FM10 for me.

I haven't gotten a tactic yet where I am happy with all the positions. 4-3-1-2 and 4-3-2-1 are doing what I want them to fairly well. But am having difficulty getting CM and strikers to combine in 4-1-3-2 (the formation I hope to eventually play).

Outside mids (MRC/MLC) set on hugtouch line & roam. This makeks it a wide tactic attacking yet also clogs up the midfield.

This is a setting I have not yet tried, but very curious about... I've had trouble getting wide players to consistently move inside and getting inside players to drift out might be more effective in my wingerless formations. Do you find that the MRC/MLC drift in-and-out only during attacking phases? Do they move inside and out defensively, too? Curious to hear more about your experience with this technique.

Tried this tactic with Arsenal. Thought I'd exploit the fact that Arsenal have no natural wingers and many midfield options.

So after 10 premiership games I'm 1st with 7 wins and 3 defeats. The losses have come to Fulham (Away), Man Utd (Away), Stoke (Away).

Struggled in the Champions League though with 1 win (against Dynamo Kiev away) and 2 draws (Lyon home, Standard Liege away I think).

So yeah, a mixed bag of results, but clinging on to 1st in the premier league so far.

Tactic still works very well although i have noticed that some players who were good in the demo r poorer now and vice-versa and there seems 2 be less high scoring games generally.

Thats because these players attributes are probably randomized at the start of the game you didn't see that in the demo because the demo is basically a save game from what i know the patch didnt have any database changes

I am working on a version 2 wingless wonders which works better in 10.1update - refining striker roles and defender roles - promising so far - will post later if improvements last...

W 4-1

W5-3

W2-0

W4-3

the strikers are defitnely working!!

Could you post your tactic and needed info? :)

I'm desperately looking for a solid tactic for my PSV side.

Just finished season with ver. 1 on not patched FM. Chose Rayo Vallecano and finished 9th in Liga Adelante which made boards "extremely happy". Strange cause media predicted that I would finish 7th. Anyway, good tactic but very inconsistent - produced some great away wins including beating Las Palmas (league winners) in front of their fans as well as sloppy home run with draws and losses to teams worse than mine. It could be because I didn't really have a chance to strengthen up my squad. Okay, let's see what 2nd season brings to us, will keep you updated!

I'm using the 10.1 version. Having some weird outcomes with this tactic. I am managing Hull City and beat Man Utd 4-2 but then struggled to beat Burnley 3-2 and Bolton 1-0. Also tied stoke 3-3. Not sure if it's the tactic to use with Hull City but I will keep experimenting.

man i have a problem with corners ...my team doesn't score and doesn't create problems ....i play with inter(Materazzi, Lucio, Samuel):((

My educated guess would be that SI have changed the match engine to stop corner "cheats" like last year. With notts county last year my brazilian CB heading17 jumping 17 got 24 goals for me in one season. I dont think there is a magic formula this year but it is more realistic.

BTW: version 3 now uploaded in post 1

This formation helped me romp the SPL with Rangers

Played 38 Won 32 Drew 4 Lost 2 Scored 104 conceded 26

My Team was:

McGregor

Whittaker Bougherra Jorgensen Bale (loan)

Edu

Mendes Deco (£1.1m from Transfer list) Davis

Boyd RV Nistelrooy

Deco and RVN I got for £1.5m from transfer list and obv were a revelation in the SPL. Have added Caceras, Riquelme and Enyeama in the summer on bosmans and transfer list.

What I find is left sided players play better on the right of the 3 mids and vice versa for right footers

Great wee tactic

Many thanks

Great tactic. Been looking for a tactic for my Hoffenheim team and this one suits my squad perfectly. Thanks ;)

Won all my friendlies. Team can't stop scoring.

GK: Hildebrand

DL: Eichner

DCs: Compper, Simunic

DR: Beck

DMC: Gustavo

MCs: Carlos Eduardo, Sapara, Salihovic

Poacher: Obasi

Complete FWD: Demba Ba (great for this role)

So far in pre season the tactic seems to be really good with goals. I've noticed that with my Sunderland team that the opposition have most of the possession and chances against me (I'm only playing Southampton) Anyway I can tighten this up a bit?

Archived