The 2007/08 Chelsea Thread

Philip Rolfe

Bolton, Wigan, Aston Villa and Everton. Four home matches where we trew away the lead in the dying seconds. Just happended too often unfortunately.

Good season nonetheless, gutted to lose the league eventhough I didnt expect it before todays match, and gutted to concede the equaliser, eventhough it doesnt change anything.

Happy to see Terry will probably make Moscow and confident we will win \o/

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by LiverpoolSimplyTheBest:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">United have clearly been more than two points better than us.

the league table doesn't lie I'm afraid.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

They should've had it won weeks ago imo. All moot now anyway.

Quite confident about next season though, we've got a new right back who I'm pleased with. Could do with a striker because Drogba doesn't seem to care anymore, will probably go anyway, and Pizarro ifs.

Could do with a new winger as well I reckon, Sweep, Kalou and Malouda all had poor seasons. sod knows who though, that Ronaldo fella at United's supposed to be quite good, maybe him? Seriously though, I'd quite like to see David Silva in a Chelsea shirt.

btw, the new kit ifb icon_cool.gif

Originally posted by Philip Rolfe:

JT's fine, disclocated elbow, he'll play in Moscow.

Disappointing but never expected anything anyway. Highlight of the day was Malouda's kids running around like their Dad has forgotten how to do, and posing for the crowd, they're awesome.

Haha yeah saw that, endless energy. Loved Riccy's kid dribbling from the halfway line to fire it home at the Shed end. icon_cool.gif

Originally posted by TheRandomGuy:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LiverpoolSimplyTheBest:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">United have clearly been more than two points better than us.

the league table doesn't lie I'm afraid.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

They should've had it won weeks ago imo. All moot now anyway.

Quite confident about next season though, we've got a new right back who I'm pleased with. Could do with a striker because Drogba doesn't seem to care anymore, will probably go anyway, and Pizarro ifs.

Could do with a new winger as well I reckon, Sweep, Kalou and Malouda all had poor seasons. sod knows who though, that Ronaldo fella at United's supposed to be quite good, maybe him? Seriously though, I'd quite like to see David Silva in a Chelsea shirt.

btw, the new kit ifb icon_cool.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

There was a spell today where we were attacking and Drogba was too busy arguing with a Bolton player back near the halfway line to even contemplate joining the attack. Cringed when he grabbed the badge and shoved it towards the Bolton fans when they were chanting at him. Never have I loved and hated a player simultaneously like Didier Drogba.

• Administrators

Post game was the best bit of the day. Got a few pics, no great shakes or anything but I'll post them anyway. Loads more I cba to upload.

Drogba and kids

Avram

Malouda's girl

Joey and some of the Lampard clan

Joey with a t-shirt given to him by a nutter

Sidwell and son

Lampard thanking the guy who sits behind me for his shirt

Anything to forget the match tbh.

I think the bolton game was a perfect summary of what has been wrong this season:

Dominated the game yet scored only one goal.

Crossing was woeful - i regularly see tranmere produce better crosses, joe cole is especially culpable, although i don't think he's ever pretended to be a right winger, he's just been shoved out there.

Scored and then defended, rather than pushing on. How many times have utd settled for a 1-0 win? This is something that has infuriated me for some time.

Despite having one of the larger squads we see players being played out of position.

Oh, and key players getting injured.

Anybody think this is an unfair summary of the season? (or the negative aspects of it at least)

Assuming that at 5'10 Mancienne is neither tall, bulky or strong enough to feasibly comepete for a place in the Chelsea centre of defence, I'd say he'll be on his way this summer. A shame, as I don't see Bosingwa coming to much from what I've seen of him in the Champions' League. £16m is an utterly farcical price to pay for a slightly above average player.

well Bosingwa is capable of the best and worse...i didn't rate him too m uch a few years ago but he's come good recently.

He's exceptional going forward and will jump to fastest of the squad (ok maybe SWP has greater acceleration but overall pace..).

Defending is not as strong but he's capable.

Price is high as all Porto sales but he's a good player.

I dont really know much about Bosingwa, but I though Paulo was playing a lot better in the recent games I seen him in and he has signed a new 4/5 year contract this season. I wish we had bought in a youngster or a reserve/youth team player up and let them understudy Ferriera.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Was quite a good laugh seeing United's fans getting giddy about Bolton's equaliser mind icon_biggrin.gif

wasn't a dig btw, i understand how everything must be infinitely more entertaining for you atm, just found it amusing that a goal which changes preciely nothing could get so many "Bolton \o/" posts. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Rcj summed it up really. after all the talk from your lot all week about 'we'll keep our side of the bargain, let's hope Wigan put up a fight blah blah blah' it was quite amusing and perfect icing on the cake to see that equaliser go in.

Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by TheRandomGuy:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Was quite a good laugh seeing United's fans getting giddy about Bolton's equaliser mind icon_biggrin.gif

wasn't a dig btw, i understand how everything must be infinitely more entertaining for you atm, just found it amusing that a goal which changes preciely nothing could get so many "Bolton \o/" posts. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Rcj summed it up really. after all the talk from your lot all week about 'we'll keep our side of the bargain, let's hope Wigan put up a fight blah blah blah' it was quite amusing and perfect icing on the cake to see that equaliser go in. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't get me wrong, I fully understand your reasons for it. As I said it wasn't a dig.

• Administrators

There are moments that clinch and/or cost a title.

Man Utd 2-1 Everton - Ronaldo '88

Tottenham 1-1 Man Utd - Tevez '93

Blackburn 1-1 Man Utd - Tevez '88

Chelsea 1-1 Everton - Cahill '90

Chelsea 4-4 Aston Villa - Barry '94

Tottenham 4-4 Chelsea - Keane '88

Chelsea 1-1 Wigan - Heskey '93

Chelsea 1-1 Bolton - Taylor '93

United gain 4 points out of those goals, Chelsea lost 10. And it's why they're deserved Champions, amongst a hell of a lot of reasons.

One thing is sure though, those late goals don't happen under a JM managed team, only have to look at his last ten mins record at Chelsea for proof of that.

Dropped a lot of stupid points tbh, and not just to late goals either.

7 home draws iirc?

(off the top of my head)

1-1 Bolton

1-1 Everton

4-4 Villa

0-0 Blackburn

0-0 Fulham

0-0 Liverpool

1-1 Wigan

In Jose's second season we only dropped 2 points at home all season.

Originally posted by Matt Cavanagh:

2 points? that's amazing. united at home was it?

United at home was the 3-0 title winning victory icon_wink.gif

The draw was indeed Charlton somewhere in January where Bent headed the ball over the onrushing Cech.

Originally posted by Benoit2:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Matt Cavanagh:

2 points? that's amazing. united at home was it?

United at home was the 3-0 title winning victory icon_wink.gif

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

oh yeah, that was the last game ofc, how tf did I forget that? icon_biggrin.gif

Joey molesting Rio :*)

Ricky belting one in :*)

distant memories icon_frown.gif

oh yeah, that was the last game ofc, how tf did I forget that? icon_biggrin.gif

Thats what I was wondering. Coupled with why Matt didnt remember we had won 18 out of 19 home matches two seasons ago and thinking it was Man U to whom we dropped the points. Poor memory guys, come on icon_biggrin.gif

Oh, and to fix Phil, it was Marcus Bent who scored, not Darren icon_biggrin.gif (pretty sure it was Marcus who had just joined Charlton?)

I do have footage of that goal btw (not in a single file though), but thats because I always download the season reviews made by CareFreeChris. His are awesome icon_cool.gif (I also have the official season reviews, but those arent as good)

Originally posted by Benoit2:

I do have footage of that goal btw (not in a single file though), but thats because I always download the season reviews made by CareFreeChris. His are awesome icon_cool.gif (I also have the official season reviews, but those arent as good)

Can you link me to the CareFreeChris season reviews, or email them to me?

One thing is sure though, those late goals don't happen under a JM managed team, only have to look at his last ten mins record at Chelsea for proof of that.

Didn't we actually score a stupid number of last minute goals under Mourinho? I remember us having something like 20+ in the last 10 minutes. All scored by Africans too icon_cool.gif Except one by Robben.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Joey molesting Rio :*)

and a couple of others who I've forgotten, Vidic and someone I think.

Amazing goal, linkage to it/a highlights package of that game would be appreciated, not on youtube or dailymotion icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

\o/

Originally posted by poyplemonkeys:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">One thing is sure though, those late goals don't happen under a JM managed team, only have to look at his last ten mins record at Chelsea for proof of that.

Didn't we actually score a stupid number of last minute goals under Mourinho? I remember us having something like 20+ in the last 10 minutes. All scored by Africans too icon_cool.gif Except one by Robben. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

'Chelsea time' was fb icon_cool.gif

Not long now, getting excited. Dont expect any suprises with the line-up.

Cech, Essien, Carvalho, Terry, Ash Cole, Makelele, Ballack, Lampard, Joey Cole, Malouda, Drogba.

Would prefer Kalou over Malouda but I doubt it will happen. Cole to repeat that ^^^ goal please, fb.

One day to go now, trying to get a sneaky half day at work tomorrow to sort everything out before sitting down for run up and a few drinks to calm the nerves. Lineup I predicted is:

Cech

Essien

Ricky

JT

Cole

Maka

Ballack

Lampard

Joey

Kalou

Drogba

Although can see Malouda starting instead of Kalou and would much prefer Mikel to start instead of Maka but cant really see that happening. If we score first I think we will win, if they score first I think they will win.

MON a last minute Ronaldo OG! icon_cool.gif

A couple of facts I read this morning:

1) Chelsea have lost 6 games all season - JT has played in all of them

2) Chelsea have played 24 games without JT, won 19, drawn 5.

What do you guys think of those?

Originally posted by poyplemonkeys:

I think you can make statistics support any claim you want.

I agree to a certain extent.

But the stats were presented as a counter-argument to all the articles in the last couple of days about where we would be without JT.

And wheras most the big games have involved JT, and thus it's not really a fair comparison - it still is impressive that we've won 19 out of 24, and lost NONE without him.

Puts into perspecitve how important he is a little.

Archived