The 2007/08 Chelsea Thread

Philip Rolfe

Big group of us over here going to where we used to have out 1st Newtownabbey Chelsea Supporters Club, about 20-30 of us from the old club going, hopefully to bring us some luck. Should be good atmosphere though (as long as we win ofc).

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by bridgekings:

Makelele took out Ashley Cole in the training session tonight. Double footed lunge, fool. No further news regarding how bad it is yet.

Saw it on SSN yesterday. Terrible tackle on an opposition player so I dont know what he was thinking going in on one of his teammates likes that.

Work dragging in now, mon 5.30pm. Straight home change into Chelsea stuff (or Zola Cagliari top for superstition) and off to a friends to watch it with a bottle of vodka to calm the nerves.

glad that it's over in a way, was an utter nervous wreck before the penners. Was really confident until about half hour before kick off, suddenly had a funny feeling it'd all go tits up eventually and it did.

Essien simply not a right back, Grant useless as ever.

Feel sorry for JT as well. Well I feel sorry for everyone except Drogba and Grant.

Fantastic game, it was a great night despite the loss. I feel bad for John Terry, he had a fantastic game and he was so unlucky as without the slip it looked a perfect penalty. Shame about the loss, but I'd rather have had a fantastic, tense and exciting night and come out disappointed than have a Mourinho-esque Phyrric 1-0 90-minute snoreathon.

Originally posted by shanyi:

Shame about the loss, but I'd rather have had a fantastic, tense and exciting night and come out disappointed than have a Mourinho-esque Phyrric 1-0 90-minute snoreathon.

what? You'd rather that than us winning :/

Can't believe that.

Positives from tonight:

Grant's going

Drogba's going

Cech saved a penalty for the first time in forever.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Poyplemonkeys:

You're a twat.

Considering where that's coming from... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You'd rather lose the Champions League than win it? I feel fairly safe in my judgement tbh.

Originally posted by TheRandomGuy:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by shanyi:

Shame about the loss, but I'd rather have had a fantastic, tense and exciting night and come out disappointed than have a Mourinho-esque Phyrric 1-0 90-minute snoreathon.

Can't believe that.

Positives from tonight:

Grant's going

Drogba's going

Cech saved a penalty for the first time in forever. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Put it this way: tonight we played like a team, fought for the win, gave a great show of ourselves and gave it our all. Tonight I'm proud of the team and am proud to be a Chelsea fan. Tonight has had everything and ultimately though we didn't come away with the cup, we will be remembered as exciting and worthy contenders of a fantastic night of football. If we had won a scraped 1-0, it would have been great to see them lift the cup, but I wouldn't have enjoyed the evening half as much or have anywhere near as many great memories or as much to talk about. I wouldn't have been half as proud of the team for playing boring football and being part of yet another terrible final, disrespecting the fans and the sport. So I'm disappointed, but not upset. As far as I'm concerned, the team did its fans and themselves proud tonight and I wouldn't want it any other way.

Absolutely fantastic performance from Chelsea tonight, you lost but you can leave with your heads held high, you gave it everything and you were unlucky to lose.

Outstanding final and it's a shame someone had to lose.

Drogba still a **** though.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by TheRandomGuy:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by shanyi:

Can't believe that.

Positives from tonight:

Grant's going

Drogba's going

Put it this way: tonight we played like a team, fought for the win, gave a great show of ourselves and gave it our all. Tonight I'm proud of the team and am proud to be a Chelsea fan. Tonight has had everything and ultimately though we didn't come away with the cup, we will be remembered as exciting and worthy contenders of a fantastic night of football. If we had won a scraped 1-0, it would have been great to see them lift the cup, but I wouldn't have enjoyed the evening half as much or have anywhere near as many great memories or as much to talk about. I wouldn't have been half as proud of the team for playing boring football and being part of yet another terrible final, disrespecting the fans and the sport. So I'm disappointed, but not upset. As far as I'm concerned, the team did its fans and themselves proud tonight and I wouldn't want it any other way. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm very proud of the team, except Drogba, believe me, but I cannot fathom that you are happy that we've just lost the biggest game in the history of the club.

tonight we played like a team, fought for the win, gave a great show of ourselves and gave it our all. Tonight I'm proud of the team and am proud to be a Chelsea fan.

Does this team include drogba? Who in my mild is more to blame for the loss then inept Grant. The lads gave it their best and fair play to them.But it was a really cruel way to lose in the end

• Administrators

Not really sure where to begin on that. Shocking first half, Essien was just embarassed, we had nothing going forward, should've been plenty down before Frank scored. Loads of luck involved in it naturally. Much much much better second half, but we didn't take our moment during that spell, pretty big for me, it was ours to win then and it didn't happen.

Drogba's a moron, that's always part of his game but it is the first time he's been sent off for petulance, chooses a bloody ridiculous time to do it though. Bet it's his last in blue now, wasn't really sure either way before tonight, have been going either way. All started over absolute nonsense which frustrates me, our own fault for getting involved at all.

Crossbar in extra time was painful, that there was our extra time moment, Ashley had a chance to shoot himself, then Ballack, then Lamps buggers it up and works around it and is so unlucky. Never wanted penalties, we are woeful at them, but what a way for it to go down. I know people hate JT for all sorts of reasons, so they're naturally going to take a fair bit of pleasure out of his miss, but surely there has to be some admiration to have the ******** to take such a penalty in the first place, and then the same for how much he cares. Not talking about your passion or your grit here, talking about genuine emotion and being devastated in the face of defeat, a defeat he'll feel personally responsible for. Crying makes you less of a man though, or a figure of derision, whatever.

Neither side deserved to win it, neither deserved to lose it. We're a post, a crossbar, and another post away from being 'the best club in Europe'. It's such a thin margin at the end of the day, but ultimately they've got the trophy, we don't, they're the English Champions, we're not, they got over the line and we didn't, and I can only admire and applaud that. There's no animosity, no feeling of being cheated or a lack of deserving, they've won the trophies.

On the night, um, Ashley was out of this world good. He's been very good all season (I'm still bloody right about this), excellent in many games, tonight he was just on another level. Maka's best performance in about two years, Terry and Ricky did pretty well. Essien was shocking first half and imperious from then on. Lampard and Ballack annoyingly quiet, the front three pretty poor although will give Joe a heck of a lot of credit for his defensive work.

Avram? I have an incredible respect for his sense of importance and perspective. Before the team went up as losers he's got them all in a huddle and he's talking to them. Say what you want about him as a manager (and I've said plenty), he's quite clearly a fantastic person who has had an impact on our run to this end of season on that side of things. Tactically and going forward, I'm more open to him staying than I've ever been, but still not wholly satisfied. He'll be needed tonight though, and I have no doubts he'll help incredibly.

Hope Walrus and bridgekings get back all well and good too. Other than that, a bit numb at losing another penalty shootout, and ending a season trophyless for the first time since Ranieri. Makes for an interesting summer.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by TheRandomGuy:

Can't believe that.

Positives from tonight:

Grant's going

Drogba's going

Put it this way: tonight we played like a team, fought for the win, gave a great show of ourselves and gave it our all. Tonight I'm proud of the team and am proud to be a Chelsea fan. Tonight has had everything and ultimately though we didn't come away with the cup, we will be remembered as exciting and worthy contenders of a fantastic night of football. If we had won a scraped 1-0, it would have been great to see them lift the cup, but I wouldn't have enjoyed the evening half as much or have anywhere near as many great memories or as much to talk about. I wouldn't have been half as proud of the team for playing boring football and being part of yet another terrible final, disrespecting the fans and the sport. So I'm disappointed, but not upset. As far as I'm concerned, the team did its fans and themselves proud tonight and I wouldn't want it any other way. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm very proud of the team, except Drogba, believe me, but I cannot fathom that you are happy that we've just lost the biggest game in the history of the club. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Of course I'm not happy we lost, but I'd rather lose in the way we did than win a boring, scrappy 1-0. And this is far from the 'biggest game in the history of the club'- that was the game against Bolton that won us the league for the first time in fifty years (on our centenary too).

And Drogba was bad tonight. I was hoping he'd at least care that it was a big game, but his mind was clearly on which of the Milan clubs he was going to. If that was his final show for English football, his departure was oddly appropriate.

Still have reservations about Grant. I like him like I liked Ranieri. Brilliant bloke, but just wasn't good enough.

Love to see Grant stay, and in a footballing role as well, but not as Head Coach. On the flipside, that means we'd have three assistants. I dunno.

Now that I've had an hour or so to let it sink in, I'm more proud than anything else. Utterly immense effort, only player I'm not proud of after that is Drogba.

Drogba was pretty bad tbh.

Anyway unlucky Chelsea, you've gotten more and more likeable under Grant. Lampard just immense recently, although it doesn't stop people monging out for something that happened 2 years ago.

And yeah great post Phil agree with all of it apart from the Terry thing.

Originally posted by LiverpoolSimplyTheBest:

I know Drogba was a bit stupid but you shouldn't forget without him you wouldn't have even been here tonight.

save for the second leg against you, when he had a point to prove against Rafa and was doing it for him not the team, he's look completely disinterested for months. Ballack was our best player in the quarters and the first knockout round, and the group stage was pice of p!ss, which Drogba only scored three times in, two of them against reknowned giants of European football Rosenborg.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LiverpoolSimplyTheBest:

I know Drogba was a bit stupid but you shouldn't forget without him you wouldn't have even been here tonight.

save for the second leg against you, when he had a point to prove against Rafa and was doing it for him not the team, he's look completely disinterested for months. Ballack was our best player in the quarters and the first knockout round, and the group stage was pice of p!ss, which Drogba only scored three times in, two of them against reknowned giants of European football Rosenborg. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

yes, I acknowledge the fact he's been a bit rubbish recently but that doesn't change my point one iota. his two goals against us were vital.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LiverpoolSimplyTheBest:

save for the second leg against you, when he had a point to prove against Rafa and was doing it for him not the team, he's look completely disinterested for months. Ballack was our best player in the quarters and the first knockout round, and the group stage was pice of p!ss, which Drogba only scored three times in, two of them against reknowned giants of European football Rosenborg. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Maybe he's just had a bad season players do you know. Not like he'd done nowt for Chelsea before this year

Archived